Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 61 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 61 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


gwill'i de goram. He died circa 1200,
leaving by his wife, Oliva, two sons, Sir
Ralph, and Sir Robert ; of whom the elder,

Sir Ralph de Gorram, was the first who
assumed armorial bearings. He discharged
the Abbot of St. Michael's Mount from his
obligation to provide a monk as Chaplain to
the Castle of La Tanniere, on account of
" the insufficiency of his means." Of the
two types of his seal, the earlier (to a Mount
St. Michael Charter, circa 1200, just named,)
has an equestrian knight, his shield being in
profile ; the later (to a Savigny deed, circa
1210) exhibits his shield, in face, charged
with three lions rampant — sigillvm radvl-
fi DE GORAN. He married Aaliz D'Aver-
ton, and died about 1226, being succeeded
by his brother,

Sir Robert, or Robin de Gorram ; three
types of whose seal remain, which are worthy
of notice as illustrating the uncertainty of
armorial bearings at the origin of heraldry.
The first, attached to a grant to Mount St.
Michael, in 1227, exhibits his shield charged



VISITATION OF ARMS.



21



with two lions passant in pale, sigill 1 robini
de gorran. The second, attaclied to a grant,
in 1236, to the Norman Abbey of Mount St.
Michael, has a shield charged with three
lions rampant 2 and 1 (as is the seal of his
brother in 1210), S. robertti de GORAN.
The third, a small Secretum, attached to a
petition to the Bishop of Mans, in 1236, has
(without a shield) a lion passant to the sinister
side, s. S. rob. de goran. We have thus
the singular anomaly of two variations in the
surname, and of three in the armorial charge,
of the same person. He was' a benefactor
to the religious houses of Mount St. Michael,
Savigny, and Fountain -Daniel near Mayenne.
He died at the close of 1239, without issue,
and thus the Norman family of Gorram be-
came extinct, the ancient demesne of La
Tanniere passing by two co-heiresses to the
houses of St. Loup and of De Orta.

From the Gorram s of La Tanniere seem
to have been derived at least three English
families of distinction : —

I. The principal branch of the English
family of this name, was that settled at
Westwick, in Hertfordshire, afterwards
called Westwick-Gorham, and ultimately
Gorhambury, near St Alban's.
Geoffrey de Gorham, 15th Abbot of
St. Alban's, 1120, came from "the illustrious
family in Maine"* of that name, early in the
12th century. He was, probably, son of
Geoffrey, the second of that name in the
above account. His good fame is damaged
by Matthew Paris, who affirms that he
alienated to the Gorhams the fine manor and
estate of Westwick, adjoining St. Alban's ;
probably by converting a beneficial lease
into a fee simple. This estate had been held
of the Abbey by Hugh son of Humbald,
who married a Gorham, sister of Abbot
Geoffrey. He died in 1146. This abbot
built the " Hall," or Manor House, of Gor-
ham- Westwick.

Robert de Gorham, eighteenth abbot of
St. Alban's, was nephew of Abbot Geoffrey.
He came from a foreign religious house, pro-
bably Fountain-Gehard, or Savigny, to
which his relatives were benefactors ; was
made Prior of St. Alban's in 1148, abbot in
1151, and d. in 1166, and was buried in the
Chapter House, at the foot of the grave of
Abbot Paul. He set the abbey seal to a
renewed grant of Westwick-Gorham, to
indulge a relative then in possession.

* So Matthew Paris, the learned historian, himself a
monk of St. Alban's, informs vis : " exillustri Coenomanen-
sium et Normannorum progenie." By a singular mis-
translation of Coenomanensium, Newcome (Hist, of Sto
Alban's, p. 53) has stated that the Gorhams came from
Caen (Cadomum). Clutterbuck adopted this mistake
( Hist. Herts, i. 88). Misled by these writers, we have
unwittingly transferred the error to this work (Vol. I.,
149, col. 1), in our account of Gorhambury, and we now
correct it.



The successive possessors of Gorhambury,
till the extinction of the family from which it
obtained its name, being hitherto totally un-
known to topographical and genealogical
writers, are here subjoined.

Ive de Gorham, about 1145, was the heir
of the sister of Abbot Geoffrey de Gorham,
to whom he had granted Westwick-Gorham
as her portion on her marriage with Hugh
Fitz-Humbald. He was probably son of
Piollo or Ralph de Gorram, of Maine.

Geoffrey de Gorham was in possession
in 1166 and in 1182.

Sir Henry de Gorham occurs 1199, and
about 1220.

Sir William de Gorham occurs in 1229,
and d. about 1230. He m. Cecilia de Sand-
ford. About 1232 she was appointed go-
verness to Eleanor, sister of Henry HI. ; she
d. 23rd July, 1251, and was buried in St.
Alban's Abbey, in front of the altar of St.
Andrew.

Sir William de Gorham, son of the
above, occurs in 1240 as owner of West-
wick-Gorham. He d. 16th April, 1278,
leaving issue William, who survived but a
few months, and John, a minor of ten years
of age.

John de Gorham was born in 1268. He
and his wife, Isabella, sold the reversion of
Westwick-Gorham to his cousin, Alicia de
Veer, widow of the 5th Earl of Oxford, in
1 307. He probably d. s.p. (for the family is
not traced any lower), and before 1320, for
the reversion of Westwick-Gorham had then
fallen in to Adphonsus de Veer.

The manor of Westwick-Gorham escheated
to the Crown in 1388, by the attainder of
Robert de Veer, 9th Earl of Oxford. In
1395 it again became the property of St.
Alban's Abbey, by purchase. The abbey
once more, and finally, lost it, by the disso-
lution in 1536 ; when the Crown again pos-
sessed it, and granted it out to parties, from
whom it descended to the present noble
owner of Gorhambury, the Earl of Veru-
lam.

The manor-house of Westwick-Gorham,
built about 1130 by Abbot Geoffrey de Gor-
ham, remained till it was pulled down in
1563 by Sir Nicholas Bacon, to make room
for his new mansion at Gorhambury. Having
described this Elizabethan house (vol. i., p-
149), which itself was replaced by the mo-
dern seat hi 1778, we take this opportunity
of presenting our readers with a retrospective
notice of the venerable Anglo-Norman Hall
(which stood to the east of the present
mansion, near the row of chesnut trees, cele-
brated by Evelyn), as it existed in 1307.
A very detailed survey cf the manor and
of the house is still preserved in a fragment
of one of the burnt Cotton MSS. (Tiber. E.
vi. ff. 218 b, 219, 219 b.) It then consisted



22



VISITATION OF ARMS.



of " a hall, with chambers ; a chapel, with a
chamber ; a storied edifice beyond the gate,
with a chamber ; a kitchen, a bake-house, a
dairy, a larder, with a certain chamber ; a
granary, with a chamber for the bailiff; a
dwelling for the servants of the manor ; two
cow-houses, two sheep-houses, a pig-stye,
and gardens."

II. Another branch of the Gorhams, was
settled in Leicestershire.

William de Gorham, d. s.p., in 1199,
seized of land at Stapleford, near Melton
Mowbray. He was succeeded by his
nephew,

William (son of Ogger) de Gorham,
who had a suit with his aunt, Wimarch, for
this property. His descendant,

William de Gorham, of Stapleford, was
murdered in 1264, by Peter de Montford,
and others. His wife Christiana, occurs in
1262. His relative Amicia de Gorham, had
property in Bringhurst and Medburn, Leices-
tershire, and Gretton, Northamptonshire.
She died in 1278. Her heir was John de
Kirkby, Bishop of Ely ; son of Sir William
de Kirkby, of Melton Mowbray, who m.
Emma de Gorham, brother of Gerin de
Gorham, Vicar of Lobenham.

John de Gorham, was possessed of a
manor in Stapleford, in 1264.

Reginald de Gorham, and Robert de
Gorham, were living in Stapleford in 1336;
about which period, probably, this family
became extinct.

III. The third branch was established in
Northamptonshire, in the middle of
the twelfth century ; and was perhaps
derived from the Gorhambury family .

Henry de Gorham, had lands in Crans-
ley, and Flore, Northamptonshire, and in
Wingrave and Rolvesham, Bucks, in 1202
and 1208.

William de Gorham, occurs as pos-
sessor of the same lands in 1233 ; when he
rendered service for three Knights' fees and
a half, for all his lands, to William de lTsle.
His heirs were seized of them in 1296.

Sir Hugh de Gorham, was probably
descended from this family. He inherited
Churchfield, near Oundle, in Northampton-
shire, and lands in Benefield and Werming-
ton ; also estates in Whaplode, Lincolnshire,
all in right of his wife Margery, (sole daugh-
ter and heiress of Sir William Angevin) who
was a minor in 1276, and m. about 1280.
Sir Hugh was called to Parliament in 1324,
and d. in 1325. Mai'gery d. in 1331, leaving
three sons, William, Thomas, and Nicholas.
Of these, the youngest,

Nicholas de Gorham, had land in
Whaplode, and was living in 1338-

Thomas de Gorham, the second son of
Sir Hugh and Margery, inherited their
principal estates in Whaplode, and was



living in 1338. His descendant and
probably grandson,

Thomas de Gorham, had but one
child, a daughter, namely,
Margaret de Gorham, an heiress,
who m. temp. Richard II., Sir John
Littlebury, Knight, and brought
him the manor of Gorham, in
Whaplode.
William de Gorham, the eldest son of
Sir Hugh and Margery, in 1332, inherited
the Churchfield estate, of the reversion of
which he had a grant from his father and
mother, in 1312, they holding it for their
several lives, by the payment of one rose
annually. In 1332, with the consent of
Isabella his wife, he sold it to Robert
Wyvill, (possessor of the neighbouring manor
of Lieveden) Bishop of Salisbury. He was
living in 1338. From that time the North-
amptonshire family fell into obscurity, and
no traces of it are found till it re-appears
in the adjacent villages, of Benefield, in 1572,
and of Glapthorne, in 1584.

IV. The still surviving branch of this fa-
mily which was settled at St. Neot's in
Huntingdonshire, first occurs in the
middle of the seventeenth century.
John Gorham, of St. Neot's, b. in 1635,
is supposed to be identical with the person
of that name, born at Glapthorne, in that
year ; being the fourth of the same Christian
name, in successive descent, at Glapthorne,
from the year 1588, when John Gorham the
elder, was buried there. He first occurs at
St. Neot's in 1571, when his eldest son John
was born. He had nine children, four of
whom survived him at his death in 1725 ;
namely, Henry, Samuel, b. 1688 ; Elizabeth,
d. 1760, and Jonathan. Of these,

Jonathan Gorham was b. in 1687.
He m. about 1712, Elizabeth, daughter and
co-heiress of Stephen Baynton, Esq., of
the Priory, St. Neot's. He d. in 1753,
having had issue thirteen children.
Of these five survived him : —

1. Jonathan, b. 1714, a Surgeon, d. 1794.

2. Rebecca, b. 1716, d. cir. 1770 in
London.

3. Stephen, b. 1721, of whom below.

4. Anne, b. 1724, d, 1798 at Lincoln.

5. John, b. 1727, emigrated to America,
1774.

Stephen Gorham, second son of Jonathan
and Elizabeth, was b. in 1721 ; and m. Mar-
tha Wye, one of the two daughters and
co-heiresses of William Wye, Esq., of St.
Neot's. He was a merchant, and d. in 1789,
leaving issue only one son,

George James Gorham, b. 1752, at St.
Neot's, where he was a merchant and
banker, till 1826, when he retired to Eaton
Ford House, adjoining that town, on a pro-



VISITATION OF ARMS.



23



perty which had been given him by George
Cornelius Swan, Esq., on his marriage,
in 1783, with Mary, daughter of Thomas
Greame, Esq., of Towthorpe, Yorkshire,
(see Burke's Landed Gentry, " Greame
of Sewerby,") who d, 29th May, 1837.
He d. 12th November, 1840, at the ad-
vanced age of 88, having had issue twelve
children ; namely —

1. Mary, still living.

2. Anne, m. J. M. Piei\son, Esq.,
of Hitchin, Herts ; she d. 1837.

3. Charlotte Christiana, m. Rev.
G. Howard, now Vicar of St.
Michael's, Derby, and of Stan-
ton-by-Dale-Abbey. She is still
living.

4. George Cornelius, of whom here-
after,

5. Christiana Elizabeth, m. Rev.
Dr. Holmes, formerly Fellow and
Tutor of Queen's College, Cam-
bridge, now Master of the
Grammar School, Leeds. She is
living.

6. Martha, still living.

7. Sarah, m. Rev. Francis Upjohn,
M.A., Vicar of Gorleston,
Suffolk. She is still living.

8. Alicia Greame, d. a minor in
1803.

9. Elizabeth, d. a spinster, 1824.

10. Stephen Edmund, a twin, d. an
infant, 1797.

11. Jemima, a twin, d. an infant,
1797.

12. Stephen Edmund, d. young,
1806.

George Cornelius Gorham, B.D., the
eldest and only surviving son of George
James, and Mary, was for seventeen years a
Fellow of Queen's College, Cambridge, where
he graduated B. A. in 1809, being third Wran-
gler, and dividing the second Smith's Natural
Philosophy Prize. In 1827, he to. Jane, se-
cond surviving daughter of the Rev. John
King Marty n, M.A., of the Hill House, Per-
tenhall, Bedfordshire, and grand-daughter of
the Rev. Thomas Martyn, B.D., Regius Pro-
fessor of Botany at Cambridge. In 1846,
he was presented to the Vicarage of St.
Just-in-Penwith, Cornwall, by the Lord Chan-
cellor Lyndhurst ; and in 1847, by the Lord
Chancellor Cottenham, to the Vicarage of
Brampford Speke cum Cowley, Devon. A
suit of Duplex Querela, in the Arches Court
of Canterbury, ensuing (occasioned by the
Bishop of Exeter refusing to institute on the
allegation of unsound doctrine, which termi-
nated adversely to the plaintiff, by the judg-
ment of Sir H. J. Fust, in 1849), an Appeal
was made by Mr. Gorham to the Queen in
Council, and a reversal of the Arches judg-
ment was obtained on the 8th of March, 1851,



from the Judicial Committee of the Privy
Council, assisted by the two Archbishops,
who both concurred in the decision. The
Appeal Judgment was sanctioned by the sign-
manual of the Queen in Council, on the fol-
lowing day ; and Mr. Gorham was instituted
to the Vicarage of Brampford Speke, by Sir
H. J. Fust, as Official Principal of the Arch-
bishop of Canterbury, on the 6th of August,
1851 . He has issue, all living, —

1. George Martyn, graduated B.A. at
Trinity College, Cambridge, 1851,
being tenth Wrangler : he is now a
Scholar of Trinity College, Crosse
University Scholar, and Burney prize
Essayist for 1852.

2. Jane Eulalia.

3. Ellen Elizabeth, a minor.

4. Mary Dorothea, a minor.

5. Charles Alfred, a minor, now at
Rugby School.

6. Henry Stephen, a minor, also at
Rugby School.

Arms. Gu., three shack-bolts, conjoined in fess point
or. ; (as borne* by the descendants of Sir Hugh de Gor-
ham, in the reign of Richard II.)

Crest. A griffin's bead couped, wings displayed, or.

Motto. Ready and Faithful.



Martyn. The Rev. Thomas Martyn,
M. A., of Pertenhall, Bedfordshire, eldest son
of the late Rev. John King Martyn, of the
Hill House, Pertenhall.

The Martyn family is of very ancient
establishment in England. The first branch
(whose christian rather than his surname was
Martin) came over with the Conqueror. He
has been called Martin de Tours by Dugdale
and later genealogists ; which designation
has been erroneously understood by modern
writers to imply that he came from Tours
on the Loire, this, however, is a palpable
mistake, originating in a notice by the anti •
quary Leland (Itin. iv. 28, and Coll. i. 96)
about 1528 (who was the first that gave
Martin a surname), stating he was told by
Fludus the Precentor of St. David's that
Martin de Turribus was founder of St. Dog-
mael's Abbey — both assertions being incor-
rect. The original charter of St. Dogmael's
has no such name or founder ; it merely says
that his son, Robertus Filius Martini, founded
that abbey (Cart. Hen. I., in Cart._5 Ed. III.
n, 80, m. 30, per Inspeximus). His descend-
ants, for eight generations, are also called
simply Fitz -Martin.

The head of this family, Martin de Tour,
came from Tour, near Baieux, in Normandy.
The fifth in descent from Martin de Tour,
namely, Sir Nicholas Martyn, of Ilfracombe,
became possessed of the Baronies of Barn-
staple and South Moulton, Devonshire, by
marriage with the heiress of Tracey in the

* See Cook's Visitation of Lincolnshire, 1562, MSS.,
Harl. 1190, f. 78.



24



VISITATION OF ARMS.



reign of Henry III. Prom him descended
two principal branches ; of which one be-
came possessed, by marriage, of Athelhamps-
ton, Dorsetshire, temp. Edward III., and was
extinct at the death of Nicholas Martyn,
who d. there in 1595, s.p. (An offset, from a
younger son of Sir William Martyn, of
Athelhampson, who d. 1504, became extinct
in the Martyns of Seaborough, Somersetshire,
about 1830). The other, which was the
eldest branch of Sir Nicholas Martyn's
family, was resident at Dartington, near
Totness, temp. Edward I., and became ex-
tinct, in the second generation, at the death
of Sir William Martyn, who d. 1325, seized
of Dartington, Ilfracombe, Combe-Martyn,
and, on the Exe, of lands at Raddon, Rewe,
Nether-Exe, Brampford-Speke, and Cowley,
besides other large possessions (detailed in
the Inquis. p. m. 19 Edward II., n. 100),
which descended by a sister and co-heiress
to Lord Audley, and ultimately escheated to
the crown.

It is supposed that the male line of Martyn
was " continued in younger branches," de-
rived from Sir Nicholas Martyn, of Ilfra-
combe. (Lyson's Mag. Brit. Devon, p. C.)
From one of these branches, it has been con-
jectured that the family of Sir Roger Martin,
Bart., of Long Melford, in Suffolk, has
sprung. The family of Martyn, of Perten-
hall, of which we now treat, has also been
referred to a similar origin, by a long and
invariable family tradition, which, however
probable, does not rest on documentary
evidence. We have, however, given the
preceding sketch of the principal branches
of the Norman stock, as being useful and
interesting to genealogical enquirers. We
now return to the family of which we treat.

John Martyn is the first person of this
family of whom there is any certain record.
He was b. early in the reign of Henry VIII.,
and to. Margaret, daughter and heiress of
Humphrey Raiding, Esq., of Droitwich,
Worcestershire. It is conjectured that he
was of the family of Martyn of Feckenham,
near Droitwich (see Nash's Worcestershire,
i. 440.), " an honourable family, descended
from the Throckmortons of Coughton," in
Warwickshire. He had two sons ; of whom
one to. into the family of Hunt, in Bedford-
shire ; the other son,

Gilbert Martyn, m. 1st, Katherine,
daughter of Sir George Boteler, of Sharn-
brook, Bedfordshire, by a daughter of
Richard, younger brother of Sir Robert
Throckmorton ; by whom he had issue,
George, Clement, Robert, a son who d. an
infant, and John, of whom hereafter. He to.
2nd, Susan Collison, d. 1G13, s.p. He d. 1584.
John Martyn, fifth son of Gilbert, was
b. 1588. He was parson of Swindon, (Glou-
cestershire ?) 1581, and d. 162G. He to. 1st,



Margaret Holland, widow, (sister to Sir
Thomas Lee,) by whom he had no issue.
He to 2nd, Mary, widow of Balthazar Cop-
ley, Esq., by whom he had issue,

1. Thomas, b. 1601, of whom below.

2. John, to. 1st, 1633, Mary Tribe, of
Oakingham, Bei'ks, who d. 1643. He
to. 2nd, 1650, Alice Venour. He d.
1680.

3. Hannah.

4. Susan.

5. Samuel, b. 1609, d, 1667.

Thomas Martyn, the eldest son of John,
was b. 1601. He graduated at Emmanuel
College, Cambridge, 1621. He was Vicar
of Little Houghton, Northamptonshire, in
the register of which place his name occurs
in 1641. Having taken the covenant in
1648, he was ejected from his living at the
Restoration, when he came to London, and
ended his days in privacy. He d. in 1692,
aged 91. A portrait of him, taken in his
62nd year, existed some years ago at Hough
ton Vicarage, painted on a panel. He was
buried at Chigwell in Essex, near the pulpit.
He to. 1627, Sarah,* daughter of Richard
Proud, citizen and goldsmith of London,
who d. 1662, setat 59 ; by her he had issue,

1. Sarah.

2. Elizabeth.

3. John, b. 1635, of whom presently.

4. Joseph.

5. Benjamin, d. 1701.

6. 7, 8. Three others, who d. young.
John Martyn, son of Thomas and Sarah,

was b. 1635. He was a citizen of London,
but resided at the time of his death, 1704, at
Waltham, in Essex. He to., 1660, Rhoda,
daughter of Dr. Thomas Hodges, Vicar of
Kensington, one of the Assembly of Divines,
and, after the Restoration, Dean of Hereford,
and Rector of St Peter's, Cornhill. By her
(who d. 1704) he had issue,

1. Thomas, b. 1662, of whom below.

2. John, b. 1665, d. 1726.

3. Rhoda, b. 1671, d. 1719.

4. Elizabeth, b. 1673, d. 1758.
Thomas Martyn, son of John and Rhoda,

b. 1662, was a Hamburgh merchant, residing
in Queen Street, London. He d. 1743. He
to., 1698, Katharine Weedon, who d. 1700,
by whom he had issue an only son,

John Martyn, F.R.S., Professor of Bo-
tany at Cambridge, b. Sept. 12, 1699, in
Queen Street, Cheapside. He addicted him-



* ner grandmother, Rose Nottingham (afterwards wife
of Richard Proud, parson of Bourton-on-Dunsmore, War-
wickshire, 1561), was persecuted in Queen Mary's reign
for kissing and encouraging a martyr on his way to the
stake, 1555; but she escaped the flames by concealing
herself in Ipswich, of which place her father was bailiff
(see Foxe's Martyrs, vii, 373, 374, edit. 1849). In 1556
she was included in a list of " Names of such as fled out of
the town and lurked in secret places in Ipswich ": — " St.
Mary Tower, Rose Nottingham, daughter of William
Nottingham the elder" (ibid. viii. 598).



VISITATION OF ARMS.



25



self very early to the study of botany, and
formed, when only twenty years old, intimate
acquaintance with Dr. Patrick Blair and
Dr. Sherard, and afterwards with Sir Hans
Sloane, Dr. Dillenius, and other scientific men.
He was, in 1721, the secretary of the first
Botanical Society in London, which met at the
Rainbow coffee-house in Watling Street. In
1731, his friend Houston, having discovered
at Vera Cruz a new genus of plants, compli-
mented Mr. John Martyn by calling the spe-
cies he had met with, Martynia diandra
(figured in Martyn's Hist. PI. rar. p. 42, and
Andrews' Repository, t. 575), to which four
other species have since been added. In
1727, he commenced, by invitation, a course
of botanical lectures at Cambridge, as deputy
to Professor Bradley. In 1730 he was ad-
mitted of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, but
he never proceeded to a degree, being too
much occupied with medical practice, first in
Great St. Helen's, Bishopsgate Street, and
from 1731 at Chelsea. In 1733 he was
elected Professor of Botany in the University
of Cambridge ; which office he resigned in
1762. He retired in 1752 to the Hill House,
Streatham Common ; returned to Chelsea in
1768, and d. there in that year. His Eng-
lish translation of, and notes on, the Georgics
of Virgil (published in 1741), and the Bu-
colics (published in 1749), are works still in
repute. An account of his twenty-seven
published works or papers, chiefly scientific,
and nineteen unpublished MSS., is given in
his Life originally written by his son, Pro-
fessor Thomas Martyn, with considerable
additions, in 1830, by the Rev. G. C. Gor-
ham, who married his great grand-daughter.

Mr. John Martyn ?»., 1732, first Eulalia,
daughter of Dr. King, Rector of Pertenhall,
afterwards Rector of Chelsea ; she d. in 1749,
from the effects of a violent blow on her
chest, which she received in London, while
walking ; by her he had issue >—

1. Eulalia, d. an infant.

2. Thomas, b. Sept. 23, 1735, at Chelsea,
of whom below.

3. John, a twin, b. 1737, d. at Annapolis,
in Maryland ; he was m. and had a son,
who d. a minor.

4. Eulalia, a twin, b. 1737, d. 1738.

5. Elizabeth, b. 1738, at Chelsea, d. 1825,
at Kimbolton, buried at Pertenhall.
She m. 1778 the Rev. Daniel Longmire,
Rector of Newton, Suffolk, and Vicar
of Linton, Cambridgeshire ; by whom
she had issue, 1. Eulalia Maria, b. 1779,
at Linton (who m. 1800 her cousin, the
Rev. John Kinu Martyn, of whom
hereafter) ; 2. John Martyn Longmire,
b. 1781, now residing at Winkfield,
Wilts, formerly Rector of Hargrave,

vol. n.



Northamp., (who m. 1804, Mary, daugh-
ter of John Fox, Esq., Dean, Beds., by
whom he has issue living, besides many
sons deceased, Joseph Leopold, Incum-
bent of Sandiacre, Notts., Mary Eulalia,
and Elizabeth.

6. George Nathaniel, b. 1740, d. 1767, in
the East Indies.

7. Katherine Eulalia, b. 1743, d, 1748.

8. Mary Frances, b. 1745, d. 1746.

He m. 2nd, in 1750, Mary Ann, daughter
of Mr. Claude Fonnereau, a London mer-
chant, by whom he had issue one son, Clau-
dius, b. 1751, d. 1828, Rector of Luggershall,
Bucks. ; who m. 1789, Mary Stalley, leaving
issue, Thomas, b. 1792, now Rector of Lug-
gershall. Thomas m. 1814, Catharine Horner
Strangeways Pearson, by whom he has issue



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 61 of 73)