Bernard Burke.

A visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) online

. (page 9 of 73)
Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 9 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the notorious Mango Campbell, who committed
suicide in prison. This earl is reported and
believed to have appeared in his old haunt
at Nether Pollock House at the very time
when his spirit was flitting oft* its mortal coil
far away in 1709.

Archibald, eleventh earl, having only a
daughter and heiress to his father's acquisi-
tions, was succeeded in 1796 by Hugh,
twelfth earl, a distant cousin, descended from
a younger son of Greysteel ; and through
his mother, was also heir to the already
noticed Montgomeries of Skelmorlie, who had
been the heirs male to the original family.
The intermarriage of the daughter of the
eleventh earl to the son of the twelfth earl
re-united the whole property, with the addi-
tion of Skelmorlie and Coilsfield, and the
happy fruit of the union is the present emi-
nent earl.

Hugh, twelfth earl, signalised his accession
by proceeding to build a new castle. It was
first intended to amalgamate the old and the
new buildings, but the ancient structure dis-
dained the connection, and fell a victim to
the operations. This destroyed the calcula-
tions, and is said to have caused the omission
of the principal staircase. The editice is
Gothic and massive, but has many defects,
some of which the present earl has judiciously
corrected. It is spacious and comfortable
within, as very many guests are able and
willing to testify. The park, including a
large enclosed garden, is extensive, well-
wooded, and slightly undulating, with a small
river passing the castle. The gardens are on
a -rand scale, worthy of the owner's hospi-
tality.

The double tressure in the arms of the
Earl of Eglinton was acquired from the
Setons by planting the Montgomerie coat as
escutcheon over the Seton arms, and blotting
out the crescents.



HALL-BARN, Buckinghamshire, about one
mile south of Beaconsfield, late the seat of the
Right linn. Sir Gore Ouseley, Bart., and now
of John Hargreaves, Esq., of Broadoak, co.
Lancaster. It was built by the celebrated poet,_
Waller, whose family possessed the manor of
Beaconsfield, which at one time belonged to
Burnham Abbey. It is a very large quadran-
gular edifice, but considerable additions were
made to the original building upon its coming
into the hands of Sir Gore Ouseley. The prin-
cipal rooms, formerly not more than twelve
feet high, are now full twenty-three feet from
the floor to the ceiling. The splendid library
and other modern apartments have been
proportionally enlarged, although the original
design has been preserved with much skill
and taste amidst all these alterations.

STREATHAM PARK, seven miles from Lon-
don, on the road between Tooting and Streat-
ham, comprises about 102 acres of wood and
pasturage, and is plentifully adorned with
fine and ancient trees, and ornamented by
a magnificent piece of water, about a quarter
of a mile in length and sixty yards in width,
well stocked with fish.

There are two avenues of trees, one facing
the Tooting Road, and one turning off from
it at a right angle. In all probability Streat-
ham Park at one time formed a portion of
the crown lands, and may possibly have com-
prised a part of some monastic dependency,
as the surrounding estate is the property of
the Russell family, who we know acquired
their riches by munificent gifts from Henry
VIII. of the forfeited lands of the monks. _

A tradition exists that it was at one time
visited by the Princess (afterwards Queen)
Elizabeth, and a fine old tree is still pointed
out as having been planted by her hand. The
princess resided at Richmond in captivity for
some time, and it is not unlikely that her
journeys may have been extended thus far.

The" house is a large and commodious
mansion, 140 feet from wing to wing. It is
of handsome architecture, with a stuccoed
front, and two wings added to the body of the
building by Mr. Thrale, the Southwark
brewer, in 1765, the year after his marriage.
From whom he purchased it we have been
unable to discover; but he himself made
great improvements in the house and grounds.
Speaking of the house, Boswell calls it an
"elegant villa," and aso tells us that Mr.
Thrale built here a splendid library, in the
formation of which he was assisted by Dr.
Johnson. In this house Dr. Johnson re-
sided for a lengthened period. The sum-
mer-house where he wrote still exists ; and
his room, to which he generally retired
after breakfast, and where he _ spent his
mornings in study and composition, is re-
ligiously preserved. Probably " Rasselas "



38



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



derived its views of nature and poetic
descriptions from the inspiration of the
beautiful scenery surrounding his "retreat."
In commemoration of its distinguished in-
habitant, the following lines have been
written as an inscription for the summer-
house :

Inscription

For the Summer-House where Dr. Samuel Johnson

Passed many hours of a Life

Devoted

To the advancement of Morality and Religion.

Wherever Genius builds the lofty line,

And g-ives a mortal garb to themes divine;

Wherever intellect has bravely trod

The path that leads to wisdom and to God;

Wherever noble minds have nobly sought

To clothe in words each pure and glorious thought,

The pilgrim pauses when that spot is found,

And in his heart he owns " 'tis hallow'd ground ! "

Here Johnson wrote ! here mus'd th' immortal sage,
And trac'd with characters of light his page ;
Exalted virtue ; humbled human pride ;
The good encourag'd, and the bad defied !
Here calmly view'd, beneath these arching trees-
Yon placidlake - yon golden blossom'dieas ;
Pause, pilgrim, here ! is not thine altar found?
Where Johnson wrote is surely " hallow'd ground ! "
W. H. Davenport Adams.

After the death of Mr. Thrale, Johnson
discontinued his visits : and in the course of
years StreathamPark passed through various
hands. Prince Lieven, the Russian Ambas-
sador, resided here for a brief period.

It is at present in the possession of Louis
Jordan, Esq., who has considerably added to
the attractions of its beautiful grounds. He
has also gathered no inconsiderable collection
of paintings by the Old Masters, a fine Guido
being one of its ornaments ; and he possesses
some beautiful originals of the English
School.

BEECHLAND, Sussex, the seat of Wil-
liam Henry Blaauw, Esq., M.A., F.S.A.,

is situated in a beautiful part of the county,
seven miles north of Lewes, and five from a
branch of the London and Brighton railway.

The mansion, which is built of sandstone,
on a stratum of which it stands, in a plain
Elizabethan style of architecture, was erected
by the present possessor in 1835, and placed
on no eminence in the Weald of Sussex,
commands an unusually extensive view, com-
prising the whole range of the Southdown
Hills, from Chankbury Ring, near Worthing,
to Eastbourne, and, to the north, the lofty
ridge of Ashdown Forest. The gardens and
pleasure-grounds extend to the picturesque
village of Xewick.

There is a tradition that on the estate at
the bottom of Fount Mill (Foundry Hill?) an
iron foundry was worked, and numerous cin-
ders discovered there seem to prove this.

It is supposed that the army of Simon de
Montfort marched over this tract of country



when advancing from its encampment in the
adjoining parish of Fletching, in order to
ascend the Downs previous to the battle of
Lewes in 1264, when King Henry III. was
taken prisoner. The ruined keep of Lewes
Castle forms a conspicuous object in the dis-
tant view.

SEAGRY HOUSE, five miles from Chippen-
ham, Wilts, a commodious mansion of mode-
rate size, of the Palladian architecture, with
six pilasters in front and a pediment, was
built in the year 1740, by Nathaniel Houlton,
Esq., to whose family the estate had then
belonged for about twenty years. In the
pediment or a shield bearing the arms of
Houlton (see Farleigh House, co. Somerset).

In 1785 the estate was sold by Capt. John
Houlton, R.N., to Sir James Long, of Dray-
cote ; and it is now, by inheritance, the pro-
perty of Viscount Wellesley.

PARHA.M, Sussex, the seat of Baroness
de la Zouche. Parham is a small parish,
situate in a retired part of West Sussex, and
more regular in form than parishes usually
are. It contains about 1200 acres, of which
the ancient park encloses about 2G0. The
soil is for the most part sandy, upon a sub-
stratum of chalk with marie. It is distant
from Arundel about six, and from Petworth
about ten miles.

It is mentioned in Doomsday Book, that
" Perham " was held by Eobertus, of the
Earl Roger de Montgomeri, having demesne
lands and a mill. Early in the reign of
Edward III., it had passed to the family of
Tregoz, whose daughter and heir married
Edward St. John, of Herringham, and he
held it in her right in 1387. But it appears
from the Close Rolls, 1 Henry IV., 1399,
that Edward Tregoz was in possession of it,
as of the lordship of Goring. It may be
presumed to have been subsequently vested
in the crown. Robert Palmer, third son of
Thomas Palmer, of Augmering, became pos-
sessed of it in 1550, and by his son, Sir
Thomas Palmer, the present manorial man-
sion-house was completed, and surrounded
by a park. Sir Thomas Palmer, grandson
of the last-mentioned, sold this manor, ex-
tending with the estate over the whole
parish, to Sir Thomas Bysshopp, Knight, of
Hentield, in 1597, whose descendants have
made it their chief residence. He re-edified
the mansion in the taste of that day, the
south front being built in the form of the
letter E, to which it has been restored by its
present proprietor.

Sir Thomas Bysshopp was created a baro-
net in 1620, and Sir Cecil Bysshopp (the
eighth who succeeded to the title, and
the late possessor) was summoned to parlia-
ment by writ, dated August 27, 1815, as



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



39



Baron Zouche, of Haryngworth, the claim
to which barony had been heard before a
Committee of the House of Lords between
the years 1804 and 1808, as representative
of the last Edward Baron Zouche, who died
without heir male in 1G25, and whose origi-
nal writ of summons bears date in 1308, 2
Edward II. Cecil Bysshopp, Baron Zouche,
of Haryngworth, left two daughters : Har-
riett Anne, now Baroness de la Zouche,
married to the Hon. Robert Curzon, by
whom she has two sons ; and Katherine
Annabella Bysshopp, married to Sir George
Brooke Pechell, Bart., M.P.

Uugdale gives the following account of
this ancient barony. The first who received
summons to parliament was William La
Zusche, son and heir of Melicent, the widow
of Roger Montalt, and one of the sisters and
coheirs of George de Cantilupe, Baron of
Begarvenny, who afterwards became the wife
of Eudo, younger brother of Roger Baron
Zouche, of Ashby. This William settled at
Haryngworth, in Northamptonshire, which
lordship he received in right of his mother.
He attended King Edward I. in his Scottish
expedition. William Baron Zouche distin-
guished himself in the reign of Richard II.,
and, in that of Henry V., was lieutenant of
Calais. He married Alice, daughter and
heir of Sir Richard St. Maur ; in consequence
of which, William, his son and heir, after his
death (2 Edward IV.), did homage for his
inheritance, by the title of Baron Zouche
and St. Maur. John Baron Zouche, his son,
was attainted (1 Henry VII.) in consequence
of his having taken part Avith Richard III.,
at the battle of Bosworth Field, but the at-
tainder was reversed (11 Henry VII.), and
he rlied 18 Henry VII., and was succeeded
by his son John, upon whose death (4 Ed-
ward VI.), Richard, his son and heir, became
the ninth Lord Zouche ; but, dying in the
sixth year of that reign, was succeeded by
his son George, who died 11 Elizabeth.
Edward, his son and successor, was one of
the lords who sat in judgment upon Mary,
Queen of Scots, at Fotheringay Castle, in
1586. He was Lieutenant of the Marches of
Wales, and, by King James I., made con-
stable of Dover Castle, and Warden of the
Cinque Ports for life. He was remarkable
for his splendid living, his patronage of
learned men, and for having built a house of
great magnificence at Bramshill, in Hants.
Upon his decease in 1625, the barony fell
into abeyance between his daughters and
coheirs.

The Benedictine Abbey of St. Peter,
Westminster, had gained the possession of
six hides of land in Parham, with an ex-
empted manor, before the 13th of King John,
which appear to have remained in their
hands till the time of their dissolution.



These lands now form a principal part of the
manorial estate.

The ancient manor-house is a simple speci-
men of the extent and grandeur of the
residence of the gentry of most counties of
England temp. Queen Elizabeth ; about the
early part of whose reign it was certainly
begun, and completed during the course of it.
In Sussex there are very few which now re-
main, of equal consequence and antiquity.
The situation is particularly eligible, screened
from the north-east, and open, upon a tine
terrace, to a western view of the chain of
Southdowns, and the irregular surface of
cultivated knolls which intervene. It is
surrounded by a park, in which primeval
oaks of most picturesque effect are still seen.

Alterations which took place about the
year 1710, under the directions of Sir Cecil
Bysshopp (the second baronet of those names | ,
were most prejudicial to its ancient style ami
appearance, and the introduction of sashed
windows, with the removal of the old parapet
has extremely deformed the whole building.
Originally the style was more castellate.
There are several noble apartments : the hall
51 feet by 26 wide, and 24 in height, witha flat
roof, stuccoed in compartments, and with the
arms and quarterings of Queen Elizabeth ; a
large bay window is placed near the end, where
the high table stood, as is customary in all
the halls of that age. The gallery in the;
upper story is 158 feet in length, 19 wide.
and 14 high. It is replenished with a series
of curious family portraits. The drawing-
room is very spacious, being a square, with a
carved roof, and also contains some valuable
family pictures.

The hall, a handsome apartment, was re-
fitted in its present style for the reception of
Queen Elizabeth, and containing a consider-
able collection of ancient arms and armour
according to the account formerly preserved
in the register at Cowdray, which was un-
fortunately lost when that princely mansion
was destroyed by tire.

On the wall at the west end is placed an
escutcheon, with the arms of England and
France quarterly ; supporters a lion and a
wyvern (the Tudor badge), with the Queen's
favourite motto Semper Eadem, and the date
1533.

The ceiling with its tracery, interspersed
with the double rose and fleur-de-lis, and the
carved oak screen, are tine specimens of the
internal decoration of those days.

There are at Parham about ninety original
portraits, and as many more landscapes, and
historical pictures as well as an interesting
collection of early printed books, and manu-
scripts, among which are numerous Papyri ;
several MSS. of the 4th and 5th centuries;
and others of great antiquity and value.
There are also various shrines, and reliques.



40



SEATS OF GREAT BRITAIN.



iii silver, and enamel, and other works of art
of the middle ages.

SWINHOPE HOUSE, Lincolnshire, the seat
of George Marmaduke Alington, Esq., a
magistrate and deputy-lieutenant of the
county. By an ancient family pedigree, it
appears that George Alington, who married
.lane, daughter of Thomas Moryson, of
Cadeby, in the comity of Lincoln, is the first
mentioned as being of Swinhope. It is there-
fore, probable, that either he, or his father, (i
Alington, second brother of Sir (iiles Aling-
ton, of Horseheath, in the county of Cam-
bridge, purchased this estate in the reign of
Mary, or of Elizabeth. From that period it
has regularly descended to the present pro-
prietor, who is the male representative of the
ancient and noble family of Alington, the
elder male line having become extinct upon
the death of Hildebrand, fourth Lord Aling-
ton. At the same time the large estates of
the family in Cambridgeshire were divided
amongst the coheiresses.

Swinhope House is near the village of that
name, about six miles south-eastward from
Caistor, a town of great antiquity, and not a
little celebrated amongst antiquaries for its
ancient remains. The former house of Swin-
hope was destroyed by a marauding party
from Hull during the civil wars —

"O piteous spectacle! O bloody times!
Whilst lions war and battle for their dens,
Poor harmless lambs abide their enmity."

The mansion, however, was rebuilt by
Marmaduke Alison, Esq., father of the gen-
tleman now in possession of the property. It
is a building in the Grecian style of archi-
tecture, and forms an interesting feature of
the surrounding landscape.

KAEMOIR, Kincardineshire, seventeen miles
from Aberdeen, and the same distance from
Stonehaven, the county town, is the resi-
dence of William Lines, Esq. His family is
lineally descended from the House of limes.
He is a deputy-lieutenant of the counties of
Aberdeen and Kincardine, and the convener
of the latter county. The house is situated
in the south-west slope of the Hill of Fare,
which rising to an elevation of about 1500
feet, and of twelve to fourteen miles in cir-
cumference, stands insolated from other
ranges, and forms the northern boundary of
the valley through which the River Dee flows
at a distance of from two to three miles.
Raemoir is in the parish of Banchory Ternan,
about two miles from the river and the village
of that name near its bank. This parish is
the only portion of Kincardineshire which
crosses to the north or left bank of the River
Dee, and is surrounded by the comity of
Aberdeen on all sides. The house of



Raemoir was built by the present proprietor
about the year 1820, in connection with the
more ancient family residence of the property
of the date of 1690. Near adjoining is an old
ruin named Clunv Crichton, which was pro-
bably occupied by cadets of the family of the
Admirable Crichton, who were Crichtons of
Clunv, in Perthshire. The modern building
is a substantial commodious erection of granite,
with pediments and cornices. It commands
a view of the range of hills on the south or
right bank of the river, which is an offshoot
from the Grampians, and continued on that
side of the river to the sea at Aberdeen. The
intermediate space of six to eight miles of
varied levels and detached hills is very closely
wooded by fir, larch, and birch plantations,
and, as overlooked from Raemoir, presents an
agreeable aspect. The neighbourhood of
Bauchery is a favoured district for the salu-
brity of its climate and the beauty of its
scenery ; and although not of so bold a cha-
racter as that of the upper part of the river,
is very attractive.

The proprietor of Raemoir, during a long
period, has been engaged in cultivating
and improving his property, which extends
along the face of the hill of Fare, and the
results are now exhibited in its thriving
plantations and the appearance of the fields.
in the valley of the hill of Fare, called the
How of Corrichic, behind Raemoir, is the
scene of the Battle of Corrichic, between the
Regent Murray and the Earl of Huntly,
where the latter lost his life ; and on a hill
overlooking the field of battle there is a stone
named the Queen's Chair, whence tradition
holds Queen Mary witnessed the battle. On a
hill overhanging the village of Banchory, is a
tower, or pillar, seen from a great distance,
dedicated by his friends to the esteemed
memory of General William Burnett, a mem-
ber of the House of Leys, who passed a long
period of his life in that neighbourhood, dis-
pensing kindness, and promoting social feel-
ings. In the locality now under review, and
furnishing important features of it, are the
ancient scats and residences of Sir Alexander
Burnett, of Leys, and of the Irvines of Drum,
which, with Inchmarle, possessed by Mr.
Davidson, are on the left bank of the river.
On the south, or right bank, are Blackball,
Col. Campbell; Telwhelly, Mr. Lumsden ;
and Durris, Mr. Mc Tier — all residences and
properties of beauty, and great taste and
improvement.

MARPLE HALL, in the township of Marple,
parish of Stockport, and county of Chester,
is situated nearly four miles east of Stock-
port. It was originally spelt Merpull ; and
for many generations was a seat of the Stan-
leys of the Peak in Derbyshire. By an ori-
ginal deed preserved at Marple Hall, and



8EATS OF GRF.AT 13KITAIN.



41



dated June 4, in the fourth year of the
reign of James L, it appears that Sir Edward
Stanley, K.B. of Thoge, co. Salop, conveyed
Marple Place and the lands adjoining, to
Henry Bradshaw, Esq., second son of William
Bradshaw, Esq., of Bradshaw Hall, being at
that time in the occupation of the said Henry
Bradshaw. From that period the Hall and
Manor of Marple have descended through
successive generations of the Bradshaw fa-
mily ; the present possessor being Thomas
Bradshaw Isherwood, Esq , whose great
grandfather, Nathaniel Isherwood, married
Mary, sole surviving daughter and heiress of
Henry Bradshaw, Esq.

The Hall, which is built on the summit of
a lofty precipice, with hanging woods ex-
tending to the banks of the meandering G-oyt,
must, in the times of the great rebellion,
when it was much frequented by the Cove-
nanters, have been a place of great security
and seclusion; as it was entirely embosomed
in wood, and the only approach to the house
was through a ford in the river, which was
nearly impassable in winter. The house, a
very interesting specimen of domestic archi-
tecture of the reign of Elizabeth, is built
of grey stone, within a court, in the shape of
the letter E, out of compliment to the reign-
ing sovereign, and is furnished with gables,
bay windows, and a tower over the entrance,
which formerly supported a bell turret. The
present house is certainly of the date of
Elizabeth. The visitor is admitted to the
mansion through a heavy stone porch, into
the entrance hall, a very low apartment for
its size, being forty feet long by twenty-two
broad, paved with alternate squares of white
stone and black marble. It is lighted at
each end by a long narrow window extending
nearly the whole breadth of the room, di-
vided into ten equal compartments, and dark-
ened with stained glass. The roof is flat and
traversed with massive oak beams. The walls
are hung with pieces of armour, spears,
stirrups, &c, and at the extreme end are two
full suits of black mail six feet high. A very
broad oaken staircase, carved and orna-
mented, leads from the hall to the ante-
room, an interesting though small apartment
wainscoted throughout. Over the fire-place
is an ancient gilt carving of the family arms,
and the date 1 6G6, the year of the great fire
in London. Within this apartment is a small
closet or oratory, and when some repairs
were being made a few years ago, a false
floor was discovered, beneath which was a
place for secreting treasure, about six feet
deep, in which were found some coins, and a
roll of papers which were almost illegible
from damp and age. A flight of circular
steps leads from the ante-room into the
drawing-room, thirty feet by twenty, with
an oriel window at the end, from which is

VOL. II.



seen an extensive and beautiful view of the
adjacent country. Opposite the ante-room
is a small bed-room, in which it is supposed
Judge Bradshaw was born; and where is pre-
served Ins bed, which is one of the most in-
teresting objects in the Hall. It is of black
oak, exquisitely carved, and round the top is
the following quaint inscription : " Fear God
and not gould. He that loves not mercy, of
mercy shall miss. But he shall have mercy
that merciful is." In the window are the
following prophetic lines in stained glass,
which the judge is said to have scratched,
when a boy, upon a tombstone ;

" My Brother Henry must heir the land,
My Brother Frank must he at his command,
Whilst I, poor Jack, will once do that
\\ hich all the world shall wonder at."

In this apartment is shown a breast-plate,
helmet, and spurs, of the date of Cromwell,
said to have been worn by the regicide.
This room, as well as the best bedchamber,
is hung with tapestry, and furnished with
ancient oak furniture.

Descending again the staircase, on the left
of the hall, is the library, twenty feet square.
The window similar to those in the hall is
divided into ten compartments of stained
glass. The armorial bearings of the succes-
sive alliances of the family are placed round



Online LibraryBernard BurkeA visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain (Volume 2) → online text (page 9 of 73)