The trade name of "Bilt-Well" Axle Shafts adopted
at this time consequently began to gain in reputa-
tion because of the unusually high quality of steel
used and started to find a largely increasing market.
In February, 1922, the company moved to larger
quarters and as sales continued to increase they
found three years later that more room was neces-
sary. On January 1, 1925, they purchased the Brooks'
Forging Plant at Broad and Philadelphia Streets in
York. At this new location, railroad siding facilities
were available, permitting the purchase of steel in
carload lots. The additional floor space provided
room for additional production and heat-treating
equipment. By 1930, the company had outgrown this
plant. A plot of land was purchased on Loucks' Mill
and together with the "Bilt-Well" axle line, have
world-wide distribution through automotive parts
During World War II the company participated
energetically in the famous "York Plan," their forg-
ing and heat-treating facilities being of considerable
assistance to other local manufacturers in war pro-
duction. They maintained a steady flow of axle shafts
for the transportation needs of domestic, export and
lend-lease and at the same time increased their
facilities for forging and heat-treating steel which
enabled them to supply hundreds of thousands of
upset forgings for combat vehicles, tanks, gun
mounts, landing boats, mortars and airplanes and
large quantities of finished machined pieces for shell
lathes, guns. Navy catapults, howitzers, and special
shafts for Army trucks.
The progressive and able management of the com-
pany has shown a steady and conservative growth
since its incorporation. The post-war period should
show a continuation of this activity.
THE CAREVA COMPANY
Wholesalers and Engineers
The Careva Company was founded and incorpo-
rated in November, 1921, by Edward G. Carpenter,
president; G. P. Evans, vice-president; Albert J.
Miller, secretary; and William H. Zuck, treasurer.
The company derived its name from the first three
letters of the last name of the president and vice-
president. The principal business of the company is
wholesaling and engineering of power plant equip-
ment and the distribution of every type of pipe,
valves and fittings, or for the conduct of steam, water
and oil, regardless of the application. A large and
complete inventory is maintained of all types of
industrial and domestic pumps, steam specialties,
ventilating and exhaust fans, electrical controls, in-
dustrial and residential heating equipment, sanitary
fixtures, industrial and residential oil burners and
A reliable and dependable engineering depart-
ment of graduate engineers offers to the industrial
plants, plumbers and steam fitters complete plans
and specifications for the proper and economical in-
stallation of products distributed. The company also
maintains a staff of experienced machinists for the
fabrication of large diameter pipe, valves and fit-
tings made up to meet any specific engineering
In 1932, the Careva Company formed, as a wholly
owned subsidiary, the Kelvinator-Careva Appliance
Division for the wholesale distribution, throughout
most of central Pennsylvania, of Kelvinator Refrig-
erators, water and beverage coolers, deep freeze
boxes, milk coolers, Kelvinator electric range and
electric water heaters, and later added to the prod-
ucts distributed, the Bendix Automatic Home Laun-
dry and the famous Stromberg-Carlson radio and
During World War II, the company greatly ex-
panded its facilities and services to war plants by
its ability to obtain and supply vast quantities of
essential items required by industrial plants for the
manufacture of materials for war. Ninety per cent of
the goods have been furnished for ships, both com-
bat and cargo, camps, ammunition depots, hospitals,
etc., and ten per cent for civilian use and farm main-
tenance and repair.
The company occupies approximately 75,000
square feet of floor space with principal warehouses
located at 545-61 East Princess Street, and 517-27
East Prospect Street, York, Pennsylvania.
!? !l ii
Millinery and Accessories
The Chic Millinery at 33 West Market Street is an
outstanding example of successful feminine business
enterprise. This establishment was first introduced to
York on August 19, 1930, when Harry and Helen B.
Levin opened their original shop at 8 South George
Street. Mrs. Levin continued to direct the business at
this address following Mr. Levin's death in 1938, but
moved to the larger West Market Street location on
June 1, 1940.
Since the latter date, Mrs. Levin has added fine
hand-bags, and later, an excellent selection of cos-
tume jewelry to the original millinery offerings. The
shop's development had been directed entirely along
specialty store lines with a view toward bringing to
feminine York such smart exclusive (but popularly-
priced) lines as "Thornton," "Swank," as well as
the truly metropolitan originals of such designers as
Leslie James. The selection of offerings in the hand-
bags and jewelry departments has been chosen
along parallel lines.
Mrs. Levin's future plans call for a continuation
of the policies which have earned such an enviable
and leading position for her shop in the specialty
field, envisioning the possible post-war addition of
several allied lines of feminine merchandise.
COASTAL TANK LINES, INC
Transportation of Liquid Products
Founded in York, Pennsylvania, in 1934, by Karl
J. Eisenhart, present chairman of the Board of Direc-
tors, Coastal Tank Lines, Inc., started business with
a few transport trucks hauling petroleum products
from Baltimore and Philadelphia to York.
Industry's acceptance of the flexibility of tank
transports was immediate. Increased demands for
service by oil refineries, bulk plants, pipe line and
water terminals, distilleries and chemical plants, ne-
cessitated the continual expansion of the company's
From its widely scattered terminals. Coastal oper-
ations cover the States of Pennsylvania, New Jersey,
Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia
and West Virginia, with additional points in Ohio,
New York, Connecticut and North Carolina. Coastal
tanks are a common sight, day or night, on the high-
ways of these States, speeding vital cargoes of avi-
ation gasoline, fuel oils, kerosene, solvents, alcohol
and chemicals, which form the life blood, of Amer-
ican industry, to bulk plants, steel mills, shipyards,
Army and Navy depots, war plants and chemical
The products transported by Coastal Tank Lines,
Inc., range from quenching oils used in giant cock-
tails for mills as cooling mediums for large guns in
the process of production, to liquid sugar which
eventually finds its way into cocktails at the bar.
Many towns and communities are entirely dependent
on Coastal for their supplies of fuel oil and gasoline.
The huge network of Coastal Tank Lines, Inc.,
stragetically located terminals is operated from the
executive offices of the company located on Grant-
ley Road, York, Pennsylvania. The company oper-
ates a fleet of approximately 250 trucks, and main-
tains its own service and repair shops. During the
war, 90% of its facilities were devoted to war work.
Eighty-eight of its 400 employees served in the
COLONIAL PRODUCTS COMPANY
Built-in Kitchen Cabinets and Fixtures
The Colonial Products Company, a pioneer manu-
facturer of prefabricated kitchen sinks, cabinets,
closets and similar woodwork, was founded in
Dallastown, York County, Pennsylvania, in April,
1937, by Charles I. Pechenik, president and general
York County was selected because of the diversi-
fication of its industry, as well as the reputation of
its citizens for natural mechanical aptitude and good
labor relations. To the long list of "York County
made" products. Colonial has added a line of mer-
chandise certain to increase in popularity with the
resumption of home building. Before the war. Co-
lonial Products' merchandise was being sold and
shipped to all parts of the country; when war broke
out this firm added its resources, as did so many
other York plants, to the production of materiel. These
emergency products include prefabricated lockers
for the armed forces, as well as medical corps equip-
ment and subcontract work for the York-Hoover
Corporation, which has furnished so many special
bodies to the Signal Corps.
It is believed that Colonial Products Company
enjoys the distinction of being the first woodwork-
ing plant in the area to be awarded a prime war
The experience of thirty years of operation, plus
the best in mechanical equipment and facilities,
combine to place Colonial Products in a most ad-
vantageous position for the future.
Forty of the employees of Colonial Products Com-
pany are now in the Armed Forces. Their jobs are
awaiting them on their return.
All post-war plans have been completed. Products
will be materially the same plus all necessary furni-
ture for the kitchen and the breakfast room. These
additional products will be sold to department and
furniture stores by a company sales organization.
The Colonial Products Company plans to further
modernize its manufacturing plant and to increase
its capacity by the addition of buildings and equip-
ment. Increase of employment will be substantial.
General view of Colonial Products Factory. Sidings ot the Maryland and Pennsylvania Rail-
road connecting with the B. & O. and Pennsylvania Railroads enhance the firm's strategic
location. A factory-owned fleet of trucks, as well as the Interstate Motor Truck Line, is used
to augment deliveries by rail.
THE COLONIAL HOTEL
A Grenoble Hotel
The Colonial Hotel, Continental Square in York,
was founded in 1892 upon the site of the home of
James Smith, signer of the Declaration of Indepen-
dence, who resided in York during that important
period in American history.
The original hotel had seventy-five rooms for the
accommodation of its guests, but in 1908, when a
substantial addition of concrete and steel construc-
tion was made to the original structure, the guest
space was increased to two hundred rooms.
In 1929, extensive remodeling and improvements
involving the expenditure of approximately $450,000
were accomplished. All guest rooms, the dining-
room, banquet space and public rooms were com-
pletely redecorated and refurnished. A modern bar
and lounge now adjoins the dining-room adjacent
to the lobby.
The Colonial is affiliated with the Grenoble Hotels,
Inc., of Harrisburg, Pa., who operate many hotel
properties on the Eastern Seaboard from Massachu-
setts to North Carolina. This hotel has been serving
both citizens and guests of our community for over
fifty years. Many of York's oldest citizens recall with
considerable pleasure scenes of social events held
in its spacious ballroom early in the century.
EBERT & RODGERS
In 1898, Harry S. Ebert opened his first Real Estate
and Insurance office in the Ebert Building, 10 West
The Colonial is a typical example of York's prog-
ress through the years.
The Colonial Hotel.
In 1900, Mr. Ebert, in partnership with A. M. Hake,
formed the firm of A. M. Hake and Company for the
purpose of erecting homes to be sold to workingmen.
Over a period of thirty years, they built and sold
sixteen hundred homes in York and York County.
As the business expanded, the A. M. Hake Company
also sold crushed stone for street paving and con-
crete for building purposes. This firm was dissolved
Prior to this time Charles L. Rodgers had entered
the Ebert office as clerk. In 1925, he became a part-
ner in the Real Estate and Insurance busiriess.
The firm's activities consist of the development
and improvement of real estate for dwelling pur-
poses. Their first real estate development laid out as
"Eberton" has become West York Borough. The de-
velopment of the Laucks' Tract, Tremont and Market
Streets, followed. The Hersh Farm, known as Spring-
dale, one of York's finest restricted residential sec-
tions; Manor Hill, to the south of Mt. Rose Avenue,
and many other smaller tracts were successfully
Both Mr. Ebert and Mr. Rodgers are associated
with the development and furtherance of the Central
Market House, one of the oldest and finest farmers'
markets in York County. Mr. Ebert holds the office of
president and Mr. Rodgers is secretary and treasurer
of the company.
The firm of Ebert and Rodgers, now located at
56 West Market Street, has enjoyed nearly half a
century of high respect and friendly dealings with
all of its many acquaintances. Mr. Ebert has been
associated with the Drovers' and Mechanics' Na-
tional Bank of York, Pennsylvania, for over thirty-
GEORGE D. DEARDORFF
Real Estate and Insurance
Just before Armistice Day of the first World War,
in the year 1918, at the very time that the "Hun"
was menacing the security of the world, the Real
Estate and Insurance business of George D. Dear-
dorff was established.
Inspired by a family tradition; convinced of the
importance of Real Estate as a factor in the life of
a community and grounded on the grand opportu-
structed prior to World War II at 141, 143 and 147
Rathton Road, Springdale, for which ground was
broken September 1, 1941.
In conjunction with the business of buying, remod-
eling, building and selling homes, we have served
as agent for many property owners in the manage-
ment and sale of hundreds of properties.
This office cherishes the memory of helping many
Typical Deardoift Homes Located in Beautiful Residential Section
nities of a solid, thriving neighborhood of homes,
farms and industries like the City and County of
York, this business has developed from the first
house bought May 11, 1918, to an annual turnover
of many homes and properties bought, remodeled,
built and sold.
Since the year 1923 this office has built an aver-
age of twenty-five to thirty homes per annum in and
around the City of York; homes ranging in price
from $3,000 to $25,000, according to the prevailing
standard, in such subdivisions as East York, Elm-
wood, Springdale, Wyndham Hills, West York, and
throughout the City of York proper.
Above is a picture of the last three houses con-
worthy families to finance their own homes begin-
ning with a very small down payment. Their success
is a monument to our faith in the people of this
A permanent location for this business was estab-
lished more than ten years ago when the property
at 111 East Market Street was purchased and im-
proved with modern offices on the first floor.
Post-war operations of this progressive real estate
firm include the development of over two hundred
choice building sites. These projects will involve
both group development and homes constructed to
Since 1922, Daniels at 136-138 East Market Street
has been known for better quality ladies' ready-to-
Daniels has made a specialty of fine furs. Their
selection includes Mink, Siberian Squirrel, Canadian
sheared Beaver, black and grey Persian Lamb, Hol-
lander-dyed, featherweight quality, and a variety of
other fine furs.
Cloth coats and suits feature such nationally-ad-
vertised fabrics as Stroock and Forstmann woolens.
Kenmoor and Kenwood coats are also included in
their selection of many famous makes.
Dresses include such well-known makes as Anna
Wall, Perry Brown, Juniors, and other nationally-
advertised fine quality garments.
Nardis sportswear is carried at Daniels and in-
cludes skirts, blouses, blazers, slacks, sweaters, sport
suits and play suits.
York's discriminating women enjoy shopping at
Daniels where a better garment costs no more.
THE DENTISTS' SUPPLY COMPANY OF NEW YORK
Manufacture and Sale of Artificial Teeth
The history of this company is a story of world-
wide achievement in a field of service important to
millions of people which, unknown to most of us
except those who are actually engaged in it, has
grown from small beginnings here in York until it
has reached and influenced every corner of the civil-
teeth. People generally cannot appreciate how im-
portant it is to good looks and good health that we
masticate our food thoroughly by means of our back
teeth. The artificial back teeth, in the days when the
company began its service, were not capable of
masticating food as the health of the wearers re-
quired that it should be masticated.
Processing Precious Metal Wire.
Engraving Tooth Moulds.
Forty-six years ago, four men, who knew all about
manufacturing and selling artificial teeth, organized
The Dentists' Supply Company and opened a fac-
tory in York. They were Dr. Jacob Frick Frantz, father
of Leroy Frantz, the present president of The Den-
tists' Supply Company; George H. Whiteley, Senior,
father of the present vice-president of the same name
and of the present treasurer, J. Osborne Whiteley;
John Rutherford Sheppard and Dean C. Osborne.
Their purpose was to supply to dentists and to the
public artificial teeth that would render better ser-
vice than was then obtainable. The artificial front
teeth of those days were frail and broke easily and
often when the wearers tried to bite food. The new
company succeeded in making teeth that were much
more serviceable. With them, it began its march to
In honor of the century just dawning, the com-
pany named the new teeth. Twentieth Century Teeth.
When the service in front teeth was well estab-
lished, the company turned its attention to the back
With the cooperation of dentists who understood
the science of tooth formation, the company im-
proved the forms of back teeth to such an extent that
the new teeth were efficient in mastication. This was
the second step in the company's march to success.
In the years from then until now the company has
made so many improvements in the service which
artificial teeth make possible, that it is no longer a
misfortune to wear artificial teeth, as it formerly was.
Naturally, recognition by the dental profession and
the public has been world-wide, and in every corner
of the earth where modern dental science is prac-
ticed, the company's products are the standards by
which all other artificial teeth are judged.
One improvement is of especial interest to all of
us. In many people, the natural upper front teeth
are the most brilliant spot of color in the complexion.
The most deeply underlying cause of this brilliance
long defied analysis. The chemical engineers of the
company discovered the cause and, after a few
years of research and experimentation, succeeded
in incorporating it in the teeth the company makes.
SoWering GoW Pins into Teeth.
Preparing Finished Teeth lor Shipment.
THE DENTISTS' SUPPLY COMPANY OF NEW YORK
Manufacture and Sale of Artificial Teeth
The incorporation of this elusive quality enables the
teeth to blend themselves into the wearer's complex-
ion in a way unknown before and to become so inti-
mately a part of the person that Trubyte New Hue
Teeth, as the teeth having this quality are called,
are frequently mistaken for exceptionally fine sets
of natural teeth.
The growth of the factory here in York has kept
pace with the company's growth. It has long been
the largest factory in the world of its kind but is not
big enough to meet the demands which the dentists
of the world, including those of our own Armed
Forces, continually make. It is supplemented by three
factories in Philadelphia, two in Germany, one in
France, one in England and one in Argentina.
One of the happiest aspects of the company's his-
tory is that a job with the company has always been
a career for every employee who has cared to make
it so. Among the company's highly valued workers,
20 have been with the company for forty years or
more, 100 have been with it for thirty years or more,
and 197 have been with it for twenty-five years or
The spirit of research and progress burns with un-
diminished flame in the company's scientists and
technicians. Further contributions to the welfare of
all who wear artificial teeth are in the making.
York's influence on the good looks and good health
of the people of the world will continue to increase.
THE DISPATCH PUBLISHING CO.
It was in that period of America in which many
of the newspapers now published were launched,
and the present great news gathering system of the
world was developed, that the "York Dispatch"
"The Dispatch" was founded on May 29, 1876, by
Hiram Young, who had been, from June 7, 1864, pub-
lishing a weekly newspaper known as the "True
Democrat." "The Dispatch," as a daily newspaper,
was published at 10 East Market Street until 1904,
in which year it moved to its present home at 15-17
East Philadelphia Street.
E. Norman Gunnison was the first editor of "The
Dispatch." He was succeeded by Walter Hall and
then followed John Moore, Constantine Moore, John
Wiley and Charles P. Shreiner. Edward S. Young,
one of the sons of the founder, a strong figure in
local journalism, was managing editor of "The Dis-
patch" for many years. He laid the foundation for
its present policy of clean columns and rigid accu-
racy in publishing the news. Mr. Young was suc-
ceeded by W. L. Taylor as editor. E. B. Williamson
has been managing editor since the death of Mr.
Taylor in 1925.
The late H. Walter Young, son of the late Edward
S. Young, was general manager from 1925 to the
time of his death, October 21, 1942.
When Hiram Young, founder of "The Dispatch,"
died in 1905, the ownership became vested in his
four sons, Edward S. Young, Charles P. Young, W. L.
Young, and John F. Young. Of these four owners
John F. Young, now the president of the Dispatch
Publishing Company, is the only survivor. His son,
D. Philip Young, secretary-treasurer of the company,
is manager of "The Dispatch." The directors of the
company are John F. Young, D. Philip Young and
Mary E. Young, widow of Edward S. Young.
f iiF iTHE YORK
Horn* Dcliteteo dilla
CitcuUlion Book* AJj **>
VOL. 139, NO. U7.
HEADS OF ALLIED NATIONS
OF LONG EUROPEAN WAR
Supreme Headquarters Announces That Hostilities Are
Scheduled to Cease Formally at 6:01 This Evening
Under Terms of Unconditional Surremter
Agreement Signed at Reims Last
PRESIDENT AVOIDS DESIGNATION OF V-E DAY
REICH'S DARKEST HOUR
annui l*tut*Kce Xd> in
I BEIMS, ^r^nc^, MPJ 7 iD*-
InwnAri co-jld nu< (! German
loltirr, to flfbl. It *.-) due
Tbs netottr.imu on lha AUid
Me vcn hnl br U'l". Crn.
*!( Bi3*II Smllh. Ocwtll Bl-
ahowcrt <bi*( of .:ft. and. on iht
Grmjn ildi- by C'n Curtal Jti.
hMf o( ilafl to Ibt a*!D>*n jrrnr.
Th npimc commond hunwir
_id nrt <tc In* Crmn dilcgntn
until ibc wcrwdtr ceieDiooj *
When he did b* ukcd the Oer-
YORK, PA., TUESDAY EVENING, MAY 8, 1945.
pecial Sctilon Mr Bi
PRICE ) CENTS 15 CENTS PER WEEK
Mo viii be back
Truman Expected to
Boon With Church
. .. Mclinrd quotation by nmr.
sddine be brlimrd the mwitn
TREATY IS momMti^g^^****^*"*
8,1ml on lh*l qucillon, C. O P.
HOUH Lud*, rr.nklm II. Urhttr-
SAH FRANCISCO, MK * W.-A ji, t , Rrp . |^ai ( h> drummed
mUTi( et Preudent TIUWJO, lftt WM .|, r ( t(w KjiK*-WrmiBl-
Pc\mf Mui!iit Churchill nd J ftnilly it 1:4* p m ytttn-
- u ixpMted b; dj - .i mrmoriblr *nd iddrd !!,-
diplonuiw^ 1o be j !(CI nob *n.' led -mnj import-
Pro|ruD It Cnntint*ut TJ|
BIG RESERVE PROPOSED
t V-C dijr. *n>
trrnor Martin I
Prrhap! Ui n
ided to fln.tl/ end si
to lulion b)r cleaning >ip mi
In i mix
J t.M, ,
Cnramnd*rs Bac&oragtl fcy
Hfwi of Victor; u>
RAID TOKYO AIRFIELD
di*K lo ' provide i* r*tuv
I A cundidf. w Hoftuional. po.1-
i.ar irmy of Wa.OOO mea vuM
1 WMM IjIgpvrlorU ConUon
I"S, CM..IM u, .11 'I Imuh.j >1 !*! Pla.
SVSgieAa| ..-Otte Z.mb.r,
^JSLJyvSTJ-.* ' *"" 1Jw " 1 M