money belonging to the United States Treasury was
kept. It not only contained the depreciated Conti-
nental currency, but a considerable amount of silver.
This valuable treasure, amounting to about $600,-
000, was brought to York in the Spring of 1778. The
money had been sent to America from France as a
loan to the United States Government, then strug-
gling for independence. The vessel which brought
this money from the French Government landed in
Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Captain James B. Frye,
who had been a member of the Boston Tea Party,
was entrusted with the care of the money to convey
it to Congress in York, with the compliments of
Louis XVI, who had already entered into a treaty of
friendship and alliance with the United States Gov-
ernment through the influence of Benjamin Franklin,
the United States Commissioner at Paris.
The four-horse wagon that conveyed this money
from Portsmouth through Boston, Albany, Reading
and York was guarded by a full company of Conti-
nental troops. A large painting in the directors' room
of the bank depicts this historic event. The money
arrived here safely and was put in charge of Michael
Hillegus, who had been Treasurer of the United
States since 1776.
This building was also the temporary depository
for a large amount of Continental money printed at
York under Act of Congress passed April 11, 1778.
A five-panel window in the directors' room depicts
some of this early history.
Organized in 1863 by a progressive group of local
businessmen. The First National Bank of York started
a general banking business with a capital of $300,-
000. Its original charter number was 197, but in later
years, when many of the National Banks combined,
it became the sixty-seventh National bank to be
chartered in the United States. It is York's oldest
From its inception. The First National Bank of York
has been operated by businessmen for the conve-
nience of York's thrifty citizens. Its Board of Directors
is composed of York businessmen whose keen in-
terest, guidance and willingness to cooperate in
civic, industrial and commercial enterprises has ef-
fected a substantial contribution to the growth and
development of York.
Archibald McLean House used as United States Treasury.
A member of the Federal Reserve System and the
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, it is also the
Government Depository. This means that the govern-
ment always has a deposit in this bank, and that the
Federal Courts instruct the Trustees in Bankruptcy
to deposit all their funds with The First National Bank
The facilities of The First National Bank of York
include complete Trust, Commercial and Personal
Loan, Checking and Savings Account Departments.
It is equipped with the largest and most modern
bank vault in the community. Eleven directors repre-
senting a large share of industrial business interests
govern the activities of the bank.
W. A. Keyworth, chairman of the Board; C. L.
Peterman, president; B. H. Myers, vice-president
and cashier; D. M. Myers, vice-president; and C. F.
Borgel, trust officer, together with forty-five trained
employees, coordinate to render modern, friendly
and understanding banking service to the bank's
The stability of The First National Bank of York
has survived all wars, panics and depressions. There
has never been an occasion during the entire history
of this bank when it was unable to meet its obliga-
tions, dollar for dollar. Its growth and conservative
operation is best reflected in its Statement of Con-
dition dated December 30, 1944. Total Assets are
$23,954,707; Capital. $500,000; Surplus, $600,000; Un-
divided Profits, $160,000.
FLOOROLA PRODUCTS, INC
Floor Maintenance Equipment
The secret of beautiful floors . . . day to day care
with proper equipment ... is an every-day prob-
lem in homes, hotels, apartment houses, educational
institutions, office buildings and churches.
In the early twenties, Ernest J. Newcomer, founder
of Floorola Products, Inc., through his experimental
work in Baltimore, envisioned the need for floor
maintenance labor-saving devices.
In November, 1924, Mr. Newcomer established this
company for the purpose of manufacturing floor
waxing, polishing and scrubbing machines. The
progress of this new industrial enterprise was con-
sistent with the development of the industry. The
original production capacity of the plant was ap-
proximately three hundred machines per month.
During the succeeding years, however, increased fa-
cilities and improved production methods enabled
the company to manufacture about two hundred
complete units per week.
During the past five years, Floorola Products, Inc.,
has been an active participant in the York Plan for
the production of war materials. Its entire facilities
. . . men, equipment and materials . . . have been
engaged one hundred per cent in war work. It has
manufactured Radar parts for the Signal Corps, Bofor
gun parts for the Navy, aircraft parts for both Army
and Navy, trench mortar parts for the Army and has
machined shells for 105mm. guns.
During the war period, the company developed
modern tool designing and manufacturing depart-
ments in which special tools and dies, required for
the production of war materials, were made. These
departments are being expanded still further for
Extensive research conducted by its engineering
department during the war era has produced many
new ideas, products and equipment which have
been developed, tested and proven, and will be
manufactured when materiel becomes available for
Floorola Products, Inc., distribute their products
through qualified distributors throughout the world.
Their products have been endorsed by leading test-
ing laboratories; such as, Good Housekeeping, De-
lineator, Philadelphia Electric, New York Herald
Tribune, Hotel Managements' Testing Hotels and
many other prominent laboratories.
EDWARD FOX BAKING COMPANY
The Fox family has "followed the wheat" for well
over one hundred years.
Edward Fox's father, Henry Fox, came to America
over eighty years ago and worked in the flour mills
of the P. A. & S. Small Company in York as a miller.
During the Civil War he fought with the Pennsyl-
vania troops, and when peace came he moved to
Lewisberry, York County, where Edward Fox was
The founder at the age of eighteen had advanced
to foremanship in the then infant baking industry,
working for the Allison Bakery for several years. Dur-
ing this time the phrase, "young man go West," was
on everyone's lips; Edward Fox turned his youth and
experience to account in becoming a bakery fore-
man for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad
at Needles, California, on the Mohave desert. These
were the days before Pullman cars and Needles was
one of the regular station stops in order to feed
After this experience, Edward Fox returned to York
where he and his brother, Andrew, founded the Fox
Baking Company, which later assumed the name,
"The Edw. Fox Baking Company."
Today, the modern Fox Bakery, one of the largest
in this section of Pennsylvania, is in its fifty-eighth
year. The business is being carried on by Edward
Fox's three sons, Roy, Earl and Louis, who have been
responsible for the steady growth of the firm through-
out the years.
FLUHRER'S JEWELRY STORE
Harry H. Fluhrer, present owner of Fluhrer's, has
been associated with Fluhrer's Jewelry Store for fifty
of the sixty years in which they have operated their
business in York.
Until the year 1884, William Fluhrer was employed
by the D. S. Wagner Jewelry Store. At that time he
left to open a business of his own. At his death, the
management of the business was turned over to his
son, Harry H. Fluhrer.
The first Fluhrer Jewelry Store was opened in the
Immel Building, 123 West Market Street. Eight years
later, in order to enlarge, the firm moved its business
to the Heighes Building, 103 West Market Street. In
November, 1898, the Vandersloot property at 17-19
West Market Street was purchased and the store
moved to its present location. In 1911, the old build-
ing was razed and replaced with the present steel
framed, terra-cotta building.
After sixty-one years of operation the store con-
tinues to enjoy an enviable reputation for fair deal-
ing and untiring efforts to please.
GOTWALTS MOTOR SERVICE
Traveling south on the Susquehanna Trail, just
out of York, you are likely to meet several large
orange and black body trucks. These trucks are
owned by Gotwalt's Motor Service and are operated
throughout the eleven eastern States for transport-
ing new furniture, household goods and government
shipments to and from York County.
Charles E. Gotwalt started the company in April,
of 1931, with one small truck and now operates
twenty-two trucks over the above areas.
FULTON, MEHRING & MAUSER CO., INC
Hardware, Mill Supplies, Groceries
This company was established in 1901 by C. Mac
Fulton and Curtis H. Mehring, both of whom had
considerable experience in the wholesale hardware
and grocery business.
The business was conducted as a partnership in
a small storeroom located at 121 South George
Street, York, Pennsylvania, and at the time employ-
ing four persons.
In 1905, Edward G. Hauser became interested in
the company and at that time was incorporated
under Pennsylvania laws and designated as the
Fulton, Mehring & Hauser Co., Inc., under which
name it operates today. In the same year the busi-
ness moved across the street to 116-118 South
George Street into a new building erected for it by
R. T. Paules purchased stock in this company in
1912 and later acquired the controlling interest. The
company in 1924 purchased the building it occupied
from the Jacob Smyser estate as well as the Howard
Building, located next door at 120-122 South George
Street, York, Pennsylvania.
In 1932, G. Latimer Gotwalt, who was an em-
ployee of the company for many years, purchased
stock in the business.
Upon the death of R. T. Paules in 1937, the con-
trolling interest was purchased by the four sons
from the R. T. Paules estate. These four sons, namely
John H., David H., Charles E., and Clair L Paules,
together with G. Latimer Gotwalt, are the present
In 1942, the company purchased the warehouse
located at 130 South Cherry Avenue to increase its
storage capacity. This company enjoyed a steady
growth and prior to the war employed sixty-four
persons, distributing hardware, mill supplies, paints
and groceries, as well as toys, seeds, house furnish-
ings, electric appliances and other similar products
to the general stores and industries in York and
Adams counties. Eighteen of these employees are
now serving in the Armed Forces.
The Fulton, Mehring & Hauser Co., Inc., has al-
ways been active in civic improvement work and
has participated one hundred per cent in all com-
munity projects. During the present conflict they
have made every effort to supply goods and services
to the York manufacturers who have done such a
splendid job in the war effort.
The present stockholders have recently purchased
the real estate and plant of the former Smyser-Royer
Company, located at North Beaver Street and North
Street. This plant contains two acres of land upon
which are erected buildings with ample floor space
as well as a railroad siding and with ample parking
space. It is the plan of the present owners to move
their jobbing business to this new location to enable
them to add additional lines of merchandise and to
give better service to their customers.
ROY L GEESEY
Roy L. Geesey's father was secretary of the local
branch of the Southern Mutual Fire Insurance Com-
pany and maintained an office at 41 East King
Street. Roy left high school to work with his father,
but soon opened up his own agency right next door.
Here, at 45 East King Street, in a small office rented
from the widow of the late George M. Bollinger, city
councilman, Mr. Geesey sold all types of insurance
with the exception of life insurance. Being a notary
public he solicitated auto license business and other
In 1930, the building in which he was located was
put up for sale and Mr. Geesey purchased it. He
added automobile financing in 1932 to the services
which he already offered. Business continued to
grow and in 1940 he remodeled the building. The
firm now occupies both the first and second floors
and employs a staff of eight persons, three of whom
GENERAL MACHINE WORKS
Regulators and Combustion Controls
In 1902, the company known as the Ruth Machine
Company was founded by Geoffrey Yost, Edwin
Moul, David E. Small and Horace Brillinger. It was
organized for the manufacture of knitting machines.
It was reorganized and incorporated under the
name of General Machine Works in 1908. In 1915,
the company was purchased by Will H. Swartz,
Charles G. Swartz, G. Ed. Swartz, Charles M. Strick-
ler and W. Wilson Thompson and has operated
under that ownership and management since.
In 1918, the Prospect Street addition was erected,
increasing the floor space and production of the
plant one hundred per cent. Present products and
services include: General Regulator Corporation
products, regulators and combustion controls for
ships, power and chemical plants and general in-
dustries, also subcontract work of parts, assemblies,
complete machines and equipment.
The scope of the business is national. Small and
medium size parts, machines and equipment are
made in the company's machine shop to required
are notaries public.
The Roy L. Geesey Company is rated as one of
the finest insurance agencies in the State.
GEHLY'S CARPET HOUSE, INC.
Gehly's Carpet House, Inc., was founded in 1886
when Theodore H. Gehly purchased the stock, fix-
tures and goodwill of the "ONE-PRICE CARPET HOUSE"
operated by J. Ross Grove at 10 North George Street.
The original firm operated as Theodore H. Gehly and
continued until the deaih of Mr. Gehly in 1913. Mer-
chandise of that day included "homemade" and In-
grain Carpets, factory made carpets, floor and table
oilcloth, window shades, mirrors and hall racks.
In 1900, the store was moved into a large new
four-story brick building at 9 West Market Street.
Built by Mr. Gehly for the expansion of the growing
business, this building represented the most modern
and advanced construction and for sometime was
considered the finest of York's downtown structures.
It is still occupied by the company after having been
modernized to meet present needs.
Upon Mr. Gehly's death, a partnership was formed
between his widow, Annie L. Gehly, and Henry
L King, an employee who had been with the store
since 1888, trading under the name of Gehly's Car-
pet House. The partnership continued to thrive and
grow under the active management of Mr. King and
in 1920 a furniture department was added.
In 1925, the partnership was dissolved, to be re-
placed by a Pennsylvania corporation composed of
Mrs. Annie L. Gehly, Henry L. King, C. E. Bowers,
W. H. King and George W. Wertz. Henry L. King
became president and general manager.
In 1934, with the death of Henry L King, aftei
forty-six years of service with the company, C. E.
Bowers became president and general manager.
In 1939, a modern drapery and interior decorating
department was added, completing the house-fur-
nishing lines of the company.
In 1940, the company again reorganized with the
following management: Wm. H. King, president and
general manager; Vernon L. Miller, vice-president;
Sarah E. K. Moore, treasurer; Margaret L. Miller,
secretary, and Catherine M. Gotthardt, assistant
The company has always enjoyed the confidence
and patronage of the people of York and York
County. Further expansion and addition of lines is
promised in the post-war plans, including an entirely
new department for home appliances, complete
from small appliances through air conditioning.
Many nationally famous names are represented
in the products merchandised at Gehly's, including
Armstrong, Bigelow-Sanford, Mohawk, Whittall, Firth,
Karastan, Drexel, Imperial Tables, Tomlinson, Fine
Art, Ferguson, Kenneth Curtains, Schumacher, Wav-
erly, Bloomcraft, Port-Edge, Lightolier, Charlton
House, Admiral Radio, Stoves and Refrigeration.
Many former suppliers who are now producing for
our Armed Forces will have their names added to
this list upon reconversion to their former products.
Although much manpower has been lost to the
war effort their positions have been held open pend-
ing their return. The company's slogan, "Look to a
Bright Future with Gehly's," will continue to grow
and mean much to our friends in the community.
THE GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY
York Wire and
The industrial development of the York Wire and
Cable Works is an interesting story of one of Gen-
eral Electric's most successful manufacturing plants.
It will tell you something of the York Works' early
history, its skilled workers and its important contri-
bution to the war effort.
At the turn of the century there was a wave of ex-
pansion and promotion which swept over the coun-
try, stimulated by the advance of industry. It was at
this time that the Norway Steel Company visioned
a plant which would be surrounded by a model com-
munity. Land was acquired on the outskirts of York
and a park and a subdivision to hold some three hun-
dred dwellings were laid out. Financial reverses hit
the company, and in 1906 the buildings of the plant
were purchased by the Heany Fireproof Wire Com-
pany. Herein they set up the machinery for the
manufacture of asbestos-insulated wires and coils.
A little later they embarked on the manufacture of
tungsten filament incandescent lamps.
In 1912, this concern was succeeded by the Inde-
pendent Lamp & Wire Company, who continued the
operation on a larger scale.
In 1921, the plant was acquired by General Elec-
tric. The facilities of the plant were extended and
the scope of types and quantities of specialty insu-
lated conductors was greatly expanded.
The average person, especially outside of the elec-
trical industry, has slight conception of the complex-
ities and differences in the insulation needed to keep
current traveling to its destination along its metal
way. The first insulated wire was manufactured in
1848. A crude machine had been devised that coated
the copper with a gutta-percha compound. In 1849,
that machine was taken from this country to En-
gland, where it turned out insulated wire for the
Atlantic cable, the laying of which was completed
General Electric research and engineering have
worked for years on the problems of insulation.
Deltabeston is the registered trademark for wire in-
sulated with a compound of asbestos and synthetic
resin, made by the General Electric Company. This
wire constitutes the major part of the York output.
Of one type or another, it is used in power plants,
switchboard wiring, appliances, fixtures, locomotives,
in aircraft, in radio hook-ups and in motor windings.
Applying the insulation to wire is done mechan-
ically by most intricate and ingenious machines
which cover it with synthetics, apply tape-like coat-
ings of asbestos fibre or glass, and braid on various
protective materials, some of which are metallic.
These machines operate at incredible speeds, the
wire passing through at the rate of six hundred feet
a minute in some instances. The eye cannot follow
the multiplex operations.
The operators are highly skilled, and their task is
largely one of observation. Their ears and eyes be-
come sensitive to the slightest change in the rhythm
of the operation. Of course, there are automatic con-
trols, electrically actuated, which stop the machine
in the event of malfunction. Then the operator's task
is to make the necessary adjustments.
A general view of (he Yori Works' wire insulating shop. Here
a combination ot skilled engineers, trained operators, modern
machinery and alert management has produced one ot the fin-
est lines of asbestos-insu/a/ed caWes in fhe electrical industry.
The demands of war have produced new feats of
engineering in the building of these machines. Re-
cently, two young men in the York Works redesigned
a stranding machine which enabled it to twist the
small wires into spirals, something which the orig-
inal designers of the machine considered impossible.
Early in 1944, General Electric Company was
awarded a vitally important contract to produce
component parts and accessories for the rocket
project. Accordingly, in May, another war plant in
York was opened at 170 East Boundary Avenue and
began operation with some 400 employees. Start-
ing the job from scratch without any previous ex-
perience was not an easy task. After some fine
experimental work, excellent quality control was
established and General Electric completed its ini-
tial contract on schedule. Additional contracts have
since been received and are now being delivered
in the traditional G-E way on time.
The York Works proudly flies an Army-Navy "E"
Pennant with three stars for excellency in War
GILBERT WALL PAPER MFG. COMPANY, Inc.
ready market throughout the United States, and thus
materially aids in making York the second largest
producing wall paper community in the nation.
The Gilbert Wall Paper Mfg. Co., Inc., located at
740 Linden Avenue, was organized in 1902 by Paul
J. Gilbert, under the name of the Gilbert Wall Paper
Company, for producing inexpensive grades of wall
paper, and continued to function until the year 1933,
when the company reorganized with a complete
new personnel, and much attention was then given
toward the elevating of the standard of the product.
In 1940, another complete reorganization was ef-
fected, and the present corporation name adopted.
The new corporation is owned and operated by
Arthur E. Jones as president and treasurer. Further
expansion of this business for the development of
both production and quality has created a yearly
capacity of four million rolls, all of which finds a
THE H. E. GOODLING ELECTRIC COMPANY
Household Appliances and Commercial
In the early twenties it was becoming evident to
those with foresight that the age of household elec-
trical appliances was fast approaching. As evidence
of their belief that such was the case a small group
of York businessmen formed the H. E. Goodling Elec-
tric Company. That was in 1921.
From the very beginning the organization had two
all-important objectives. The first was to sell nothing
but quality appliances those backed by manufac-
turers with a national reputation. And the second
was to establish a service department which could
intelligently take care of installation and service
needs of customers.
Both objectives were quickly attained and have
never been lost sight of in the intervening years.
Goodling acquired the exclusive dealership for Norge
Electrical Refrigerators. Then the famous Timken
Wall-of-Flame Oil Heating Units, Quality Electric
Stoves and Blackstone Electric Washers were added.
To better serve its oil heating unit customers the
business was finally expanded to take in the sale
of fuel oil.
The aggressiveness of the organization is indi-
cated by the number of appliance installations made
prior to the war. Included are more than 5,000 refrig-
erators, 1,300 oil heating units, 1,500 stoves and 800
washers. There are hundreds of fuel oil customers
both Timken and non-Timken users. The service de-
Refrigeration Sales and Service
partment has expanded to the point where it has
experienced man power and facilities not equalled
in all of southern central Pennsylvania.
Some years ago several other significant selling
steps were taken. Goodling was franchised to sell
and service the world-renounced line of York Com-
mercial Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Equip-
ment. Following this C. V. Hill Refrigerated Store
Fixture franchise was acquired. Intelligent selling
effort applied to these products has converted the
City of York into what is probably one of the best
commercial refrigerated communities in the country.
Stores by the dozens have entrusted their equipment