modernization program to Goodling.
With the coming of war, many readjustments had
to be made. Practically no electrical appliances
could be sold. Only limited business was possible in
York Refrigerating and Hill Store Fixtures. On the
other hand, the demands on the service department
increased. Existing equipment simply had to be kept
in operation until the war was over.
Goodling's acquired a manufacturing division on
Springdale Avenue. Here thousands of tank gun re-
coil and trench motor parts were produced. This small
plant, with its sixty-five employees, has achieved
a reputation for manufacturing precision products,
meeting schedules on time and at competitive prices.
P. H. GLATFELTER CO.
Manufacturer of Fine Papers Since 1864
A few days after President Lincoln passed through
Spring Forge on his way to make the historic address
at Gettysburg, P. H. Glatfelter, a young man who
had been working in a paper mill in Maryland,
bought the Spring Forge Paper Mill, so-called be-
cause it occupied the site of the pioneer iron bloom-
ery west of the Susquehanna. Later, the name of the
mill, as well as of the village which grew up around
it, was changed to Spring Grove.
Beginning with a capacity of 1,500 pounds daily,
made on one fifty-six-inch Fourdrinier machine, the
mill in 1874 was moved to its present site where to-
day it operates six Fourdriniers with widths of from
fifty-six to one hundred ninety inches, capable of
turning out 300,000 pounds of paper daily.
Today, the company is under management of the
third generation of the Glatfelter family. P. H. Glat-
felter became president in May of 1930, when he
succeeded his father, W. L. Glatfelter.
It is characteristic that the growth and expansion
of the P. H. Glatfelter Company over the years has
always been the result of careful, long-term plan-
ning. In addition to the mills, the Glatfelter Company
owns and cultivates extensive pulpwood land in
southern Maryland and Virginia, having formed a
subsidiary company, the Glatfelter Pulpwood Com-
pany, to carry on this business.
The policy and the practice of the P. H. Glatfelter
Company is traditionally to maintain a modern, effi-
cient mill in order to approach as nearly as possible
the guarantee of superior quality at minimum cost.
The future will undoubtedly see this same energetic
striving for perfection.
: - '
THE GOLDEN RULE
The Golden Rule was established May 13, 1904,
by Charles F. Homer and E. Guy Bastress, at 238
West Market Street in York, as the Golden Rule
Bargain House. The two men, who had been fellow
workers, had in mind a variety store, similar to the
early five and ten-cent stores. With the advent of
ready-made women's clothing in the early part of
the century, shirt-waists and skirts were added. As
the ready-to-wear industry developed, The Golden
Rule gradually came to specialize in women's ap-
parel; thus becoming the first exclusive women's
specialty shop in York. The venture was successful
from the start; the partners early realizing the possi-
bilities of attracting volume business by a policy of
lower prices, made profitable by a strictly cash, low
overhead store operation.
The rapid growth of the business required a larger
store after a few years, and The Golden Rule was
moved to 131 West Market Street. In 1922, further
expansion became necessary, and the entire build-
ing containing the store was purchased by Mr. Bas-
tress. It was extensively remodeled, almost doubling
the floor space of The Golden Rule, and one of York's
first modern store fronts was installed.
The business continued until early July, of 1933,
when Mr. Homer died. The store was then taken
over by Mr. Bastress, who was to operate it only a
few months until his death in early September of
the same year.
Then a critical decision had to be made. It was
decided to continue The Golden Rule, and a suc-
cessor firm was formed to carry it on Mrs. E. Guy
Bastress, Mrs. John P. Connelly, and John P. Con-
nelly as the managing partner. With the full coop-
eration of an experienced staff, the business has
continued to prosper.
The interior of the store was remodeled, new mer-
chandising methods were added and departments
expanded during the succeeding years, but the basic
policy of a volume business for cash at lower prices
remained the same.
The Golden Rule
In July of 1943, the building at 29-31 West Market
Street was purchased. This building was extensively
remodeled to make a modern store, with all the aids
to efficient merchandising a visual front a func-
tional store layout to make shopping easier ad-
vanced lighting and air conditioning. The Golden
Rule moved to this new building late in 1945 and
will continue in the tradition that was started by
two far-sighted men over forty years ago.
JOHN D. GRAVES & CO.
The real estate iirm known as John D. Graves &
Co., is owned and operated by John D. Graves, who
came to York in 1939, a native of Toledo, Ohio, to
become associated with R. S. Noonan, local build-
ing contractor, under the name of The R. S. Noonan-
Graves Company. This company was principally
engaged in the construction and sale of new homes
throughout Greater York.
After Pearl Harbor, when building decreased, Mr.
Graves adopted his own name and entered the
general real estate brokerage business, operating
largely with salesmen. The selling group of this
firm averages four to eight salesmen and an office
They originated the use of photographs in the sell-
The firm represents several approved fire insur-
ance companies, handles repairs, remodeling, fi-
nancing, sale and purchase of mortgages, general
brokerage sale of property, buying and selling of
real estate and professional appraisals. Mr. Graves
is an active member of the York Real Estate Board,
maintained to aid industrial plants in maintenance
and production problems.
JNO. E. GRAYBILL & CO., INC
Wholesale Electrical Supplies
The Jno. E. Graybill Co., Inc., has the unique dis-
tinction of being the eighth oldest wholesale elec-
trical supplier in the United States. The company
was established in 1888, by Jno. E. Graybill and in-
corporated in 1905.
From a small beginning, the company has in-
creased until it occupies an outstanding position in
its field. A branch opening in Lancaster in 1936
proved highly successful and affords a complete
wholesale service in Lancaster County and sur-
Scope of the business now covers an area of one
hundred miles around York and Lancaster County,
representing nationally known electrical manufac-
turers' lines. Definite plans are now in the making
for post-war expansion and enlargement, including
additional facilities which have already been ob-
tained so they will be available when needed.
During the war, the company has aided many of
the large industrial war plants in securing high
priority electrical material for prime contract gov-
ernment work. A complete engineering service is
maintained to aid war plants in maintenance and
The Jno. E. Graybill Co., Inc., was purchased in
1930 from the estate of Jno. E. Graybill by Harry A.
Brown, who owns the company today.
On April 11, 1905, Samuel F. Gregory opened a
men's hat store on South George Street. Two years
later, he moved into Continental Square with a com-
plete line of men's clothing, furnishings and hats.
Since that time Gregory's have continued to sell a
complete line of men's wear and after moving to sev-
eral locations finally opened their present store at
26 North George Street on March 1, 1939. In 1942,
Marshall Gregory was taken into partnership with
his father, in what has become known as one of
Pennsylvania's finest men's stores.
Green's Dairy was founded in 1913 by Clarence
Green who at that time delivered milk with a horse-
drawn vehicle. In 1923, the present modern dairy
was built, and in 1924, he moved into his new dairy
with all the latest dairy machinery at that time. As
his business increased, more additions were made
and more delivery equipment was obtained.
In 1930, a new ice cream department was added,
new garages and a new boiler room was also built.
At present, Mr. Green has employed about forty
people in the processing and distribution of fine
pasteurized dairy products and also has a fleet of
seventeen motor vehicles for delivery.
The dairy also manufactures roller dried skim milk
Milk and Milk Products
powder to utilize thousands of gallons of fluid skim
milk that would go to waste if it were not for this
roller process drying machine.
Modern Pasfeurizing Unit at Green's Dairy
J. S. HERSHEY BAKING COMPANY
Bread, Rolls and Cakes
This business was organized by J. S. Hershey in
1899, when he started with a small shop on West
Philadelphia Street, where he baked bread and sold
it from his own pushcart.
In January, 1900, the rear portion of the present
plant was built at 40-48 West Jefferson Avenue.
The business was successful and its growth rapid.
Within ten years the building had been extended to
its present proportions. For a number of years, de-
liveries were made by use of horses and wagons.
Trucks were adopted as soon as they became com-
mercially practicable. Today, Hershey products are
being delivered to all parts of York City and County.
The plant is completely equipped with the most
modern baking machinery, including the latest labor-
The personnel includes one hundred and twenty
men and women engaged in the production and dis-
tribution of the most excellent grade of bread, rolls,
sweet buns and cakes.
Increase in the volume of business has been phe-
nomenal in recent years, the present rate of output
being well beyond three quarters of a million dollars
Since the death of the founder in 1936, the busi-
ness has been carried on by his children, under the
direction of J. Carleton Hershey, the present manager.
HARDINGE COMPANY, INCORPORATED
Mining and Industrial Process Equipment
The parent company, Hardinge Company, Incor-
porated, was founded by H. W. Hardinge, December
21, 1906. In 1920, Hardinge Company, Incorporated,
purchased the then Steacy-Schmidt Manufacturing
Company (now Hardinge Manufacturing Company);
also the Ruggles-Coles Engineering Company.
The present Hardinge Manufacturing Company
history dates back before that of the original Har-
dinge Company, Incorporated, in that a partnership,
known as Bromell-Schmidt and Company, was
formed about 1886. The charter of the business at
that time was to manufacture boilers, radiators,
steam and hot water heating machinery. The Har-
dinge Manufacturing Company now manufactures
Large Vertical Boring Mill Section of Machine Shop.
principally the equipment sold by the parent com-
pany (Hardinge Company, Inc.); also special ma-
chinery according to designs furnished by other
concerns desiring special work done. It has a large
and small machine shop, a machine plate shop, as
well as iron foundry and pattern shop, equipped
principally to fabricate and assemble heavy machin-
ery or parts and subassemblies.
The Hardinge Company, Inc., principal products
are pulverizing and grinding mills for use in the
recovery of metals from their ores, also for the
manufacture of cement and in various industrial
and chemical processes. Ruggles-Coles Dryers, Kilns
and Coolers are also used in the same industries. A
line of equipment for the treating of pulp and paper,
sewage, water treatment and liquids in chemical
and metallurgical processes has been developed
and finds extensive use throughout the world. Along
with this equipment are smaller items, such as
Plate Shop and Erection Bay.
weighing feeders, density control devices and elec-
tronic controls for use with the equipment sold.
The company branches are located in New York
Gray and Alloy Iron Foundry.
City, Chicago, San Francisco and Toronto, with
agencies and licensees throughout the principal
countries of the world.
Main Office and Works.
HOME FURNITURE COMPANY
On May 16, 1898, a group of employees of the
Weaver Piano Company associated themselves in
a common partnership known as the Home Furni-
ture Company, York, Pa.
They leased, with an option to purchase, a small
one-story frame building, 48' x 116', known as the
William Hose Planing Mill, located at the southwest
corner of East King Street and the Maryland & Penn-
This small building was equipped with second-
hand woodworking machinery. Water for the boilers
was pumped from the nearby Poor House Run. A
small adjoining building was converted into a dry
kiln. The plant started operating July 15, 1898, being
one of the pioneer furniture factories in this area.
From this modest beginning the plant expanded
The original plant was gradually replaced with
modern brick buildings, with additions being built
from time to time until by 1919 the plant covered an
area of over four acres of floor space, with a ca-
pacity of over $1,000,000 annual production.
In April, 1911, the company was incorporated with
an authorized capital of $125,000. In 1923, the capi-
talization was increased to $500,000. In 1934, the
company lost by death one of its incorporators, E. M.
Manger, who was followed, in 1938, by D. W. Ger-
ber, leaving J. L. Gerber the only remaining member
of the incorporators.
The early product consisted of oak sideboards
and bedroom pieces chiefly. This was followed by
period dining room furniture until about 1928, when
a change was made to bedroom furniture and radio
cabinets. Later on, modern furniture becoming in-
creasingly popular, the line was gradually changed
until the entire output consisted of modern bedroom
J. L. Gerber served as a director of the National
Association of Furniture Manufacturers for a num-
ber of years, and was elected vice-president for the
term of 1932-1933, and as president of the associ-
ation for the term of 1933-1934.
In September, 1944, all the shares of the Home
Furniture Company were purchased by International
Furniture, Incorporated, a holding corporation which
controls: Thonet Brothers, Inc., New York, N. Y.;
American Chair Company, Sheboygan, Wis.; and
North Carolina Furniture, Inc., Statesville, N. C.
The present equipment of the plant will permit an
expansion of business in the post-war period which
would provide employment for 300 to 400.
Laboratory Controlled Pasteurized Milk and Cream
It was in the year 1926, on May 3rd, that Howe's
Dairy started its business career by the purchase of
one small milk route by Walter C. Howe, present
owner. By the means of this one truck the people of
York City and County learned to know the name of
Howe's and the quality and services it stands for.
The business increased and a second truck was
added and a deliveryman hired, Elmer K. Hartman,
who is still in Howe's employ.
On July 1, 1930, the present site at 907 Roosevelt
Avenue was purchased and from this time on milk
was received from the farmers and processed and
bottled at this plant. Within the next two years the
business increased to such an extent that a larger
plant was needed and on October 15, 1932, the
present dairy plant was erected.
In June 1, 1935, Russell Howe, a son of Walter C.
Howe, graduated from Pennsylvania State College
with the B.S. degree in Dairy Manufacturing and
entered the business as plant superintendent. He
also does all testing and farm inspecting.
The building for the Ice Cream Division was
started on October 25, 1940, and was an addition to
the original building. At this time the original build-
ing was changed from a one to a two-story building.
A new and most scientific feature was added on
January 1, 1941, by the use of Sealon Hoods for the
improved sanitary bottling of milk.
On March 28, 1941, a new addition for the Ice
Cream Division was completed and the manufacture
and selling of Howe's Superior Ice Cream from a
new and modern bar was introduced to the public.
On April 1, 1945, the newest and most attractive
feature was added. Howe's Dairy became the first
dealer in the eastern part of Pennsylvania to use the
new T-Square Milk Bottles. The attractive feature of
the new bottle is that the T-Square Bottle saves
space from the point of delivery to storage in the
home refrigerator. They are easier to handle and
pour and make a very neat package. They save from
35 to 40% space in the refrigerators in the home,
store and restaurant.
The Dairy is now laboratory controlled and re-
quires the use of fourteen trucks for the handling
and delivery of milk.
HESPENHEIDE AND THOMPSON, INC
Premier Feeds for Poultry, Cattle, Hogs, horses and Dogs
The partnership of Hespenheide and Thompson
was formed on April 11, 1921, by Fred A. Hespen-
heide and J. Frank Thompson for the purpose of
manufacturing and distributing feedstuffs.
Starting with a production of several tons daily,
there has been a steady increase over the years in
both capacity and production so that the present
output is hundreds of tons every twenty-four hours.
In January, of 1936, the partnership was dissolved
and the corporation of Hespenheide and Thompson,
Inc., was formed.
During the war, the entire effort of the organiza-
tion has been to produce feeds to increase the sup-
ply of meat, milk, poultry and eggs to feed the Allied
Premier Feeds, manufactured and distributed by
the company, are sold in eastern Pennsylvania, New
Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and part of
HOME INSULATION CO. OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA
Johns-Manville Rock Wool Home Insulation
Until about twenty years ago, the scientific insu-
lation of homes was practically unknown.
During the last decade, however, home insulation
has become an exact science. Johns-Manville, for
more than eighty years the leader in the field of in-
dustrial insulations, has perfected a method of in-
sulating homes that has completely changed old
standards of living comfort. Regardless of age or
type, whether clapboard, brick veneer, stucco or
shingled, a home can be made a far more comfort-
able and economical place in which to live.
George C. Ruby, local industrial engineer, founded
his own business and began to represent the Johns-
Manville Company in 1922. Seven years later he
obtained a franchise to distribute their home insu-
lation products in Central Pennsylvania. Since that
time, the business has operated under the name of
Home Insulation Company of Central Pennsylvania.
George H. Wilt joined this organization in 1924 and
for the past thirteen years has been general man-
ager of the company.
This company now has branch offices in Harris-
burg, Lancaster, and Hanover. It is the second oldest
distributor of Rock Wool Home Insulation in the coun-
try, and has a staff of twenty-seven trained personnel
who distribute and install the company's products.
D. E. HORN & COMPANY
Poultry, Dairy and Stock Feeds
Crost" hybrid seed corns, etc., and handle a com-
plete line of coal and building supplies.
The partnership of David E. Horn and Ernest O.
Horn was founded in 1918, when the two brothers
purchased the business of William F. Loucks, feed
merchant, located at Philadelphia Street and Roose-
velt Avenue, in York.
The business was operated at this location until
May, 1935, when the modern feed manufacturing
plant now operated by the company was erected at
Lincoln and West Streets.
D. E. Horn and Company manufacture and dis-
tribute "Diamond" poultry, dairy and stock feeds.
They also distribute "Dr. Salsbury" poultry health
products, "Buckeye" poultry supplies, "Hoosier-
INDUSTRIAL NATIONAL BANK OF WEST YORK
The Industrial National Bank of West York is a
member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corpora-
tion. Its Statement of Condition, January 1, 1945,
was: Capital, $125,000; Surplus, Profits and Reserves,
$219,393; Deposits, $4,046,792; Resources, $4,394,935.
The Industrial National Bank of West York has a
record of thirty-eight years of continuous growth and
service. It was founded during the midst of the "1907
Panic" by several leading citizens in the Borough
of West York. The original capital was $50,000.
During the succeeding years this young banking
institution enjoyed rapid growth. By 1910, its re-
sources had increased to $200,000. Thirteen years
later, its resources reached $1,100,000. In 1925, the
present modern banking house was erected on the
corner of West Market Street and Highland Avenue.
Today, the facilities of the Industrial National Bank
of West York include complete saving, loan, trust,
and checking account departments for the conve-
nience of its many depositors. It is an active influ-
ence in civic, industrial and commercial enterprises,
and has rendered valuable administrative assistance
in the development and growth of many West York
Officers of the Industrial National Bank of West
York include: Harry C. Stitt, president; Clarence
Green, vice-president; Walter M. Senft, cashier, and
Charles E. Joseph, assistant cashier.
Members of the bank's Board of Directors include:
Jacob G. Aldinger, S. W. Harbold, Henry R. Dodson,
Robert L. Myers, Harry C. Stitt, Clarence Green,
Allen C. Wiest, Ervin M. Spongier and Richard E.
J. G. KUESTER & ASSOCIATES-ADVERTISING AGENCY
Members: National Advertising Agency Network
Founded in 1940 by J. G. Kuester, of York, Pa., to
provide the manufacturers of York County and vi-
cinity with expert advertising counsel, this organiza-
tion has grown in five years from a small operation
to a departmentalized agency fully equipped with
all facilities for planning and preparing both indus-
trial and consumer advertising and merchandizing
Through membership in the National Advertising
Agency Network the agency offers to clients an ex-
ceptional talent pool of over 100 advertising spe-
cialists who serve more than 740 clients in diversified
industries, as well as on-the-spot services of twenty-
seven affiliated offices strategically located through-
out the country.
The Kuester Agency's client roster in York County
includes: A. B. Farquhar Company; York Safe and
Lock Company; Read Machinery Co., Inc.; York-
Hoover Corporation; Alloy Rods Co.; P. H. Glatfelter
Co.; McGann Manufacturing Company; Hanover
Wire Cloth Co.; and others. Special assignments
have been handled for many clients, including
Army-Navy "E" award ceremonies, Welfare Drive
publicity, Manufacturers' Association publicity, and
the preparation of this book . . . THE STORY OF A
INTERNATIONAL CHAIN & MFG. CO.
Manufacturers of Welded Chain Weldless Chain Tire Chains
The International Chain & Mfg. Co. succeeded the
Victory Chain and Mfg. Co., which was founded in
1919 by a group of twenty-five men as a cooperative
venture. Most of these men were actually chain
makers who worked at their trade in the small "L"
shaped frame structure at the corner of Norway and
Elm Streets. They manufactured fire welded chain
only, on about twenty forges, with a capacity of
approximately 18,000 pounds per week.
In 1922, because of financial difficulties, sole own-
ership of the Victory Chain and Mfg. Co. passed to
George J. Campbell, of Philadelphia, who had been
its sales agent, and associated with the chain indus-
try for twenty years. The name was changed to the
present one and George J. Campbell conducted the
business from his office in Philadelphia and so ag-
gressively that the company prospered from the
The growth was steady and rapid as evidenced
by the fact that whereas the number of employees
in 1922 was about twenty-five, by 1940 it had in-
creased to 175, and in the war year of 1944 to 320.
This latter figure indicates the essentiality of the
company's products for wartime purposes and for
excellence in increasing and maintaining produc-
tion the company was rewarded with the Army-
Navy "E" pennant.
The average production per employee increased
considerably during these years because of the con-
stant addition and development of equipment for ;
electric welding of chain. The variety of items was
gradually expanded so that now the company has