began the business as the York Sanitary Milk Com-
pany way back in 1898.
Mr. Garber and Mr. Forrey pioneered in York in
the sanitary production and handling of milk prod-
ucts. They bought out a dealer in raw milk, pas-
leurized and bottled the milk and retailed it from a
single horse-drawn wagon at five cents per quart.
This was one cent above the then current market
price for milk, but customers were glad to pay
slightly more for safer, cleaner milk and business
Penn Dairies were also the first in York to compel
farmers to have their cattle tuberculin tested. At first
this requirement enraged many farmers, but it has
now become accepted practice with dairies every-
where. At present, two Penn Dairy field inspectors
are engaged full time in checking conditions under
which milk is produced and a veterinarian makes
periodic examinations of all cows.
During the first two years of its existence, Penn
Dairies made its own butter, but this was soon dis-
continued. Butter is now purchased and distributed
over Penn's retail and wholesale routes.
Sixty-five trucks are now required to serve twenty-
seven retail routes reaching home consumers and
three wholesale routes serving stores, hotels, res-
Forty per cent of Penn Dairies' milk now goes to
six army camps and three prisoner-of-war camps,
namely, the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Edgewood
Arsenal, Camp Dietrich, Camp Richey, New Cum-
berland Reception Center, the Bainbridge Naval
Base, and the prisoner-of-war camps at Gettysburg,
Camp Dietrich, and New Cumberland.
Penn Dairies, Incorporated, also holds permits to
deliver milk in New Jersey and New York State and
meets all sanitary requirements of these states as
well as Pennsylvania.
Everybody likes ice cream and Pensupreme Ice
Cream, a product of Penn Dairies, is handled by ap-
proximately 400 retailers including soda fountains,
drug stores, hotels and restaurants. Part of the popu-
larity of Pensupreme Ice Cream is due to the fact
that the company preserves huge quantities of prime
peaches, strawberries, and raspberries, much of
which is obtained locally for use in Pensupreme Ice
Cream all the year around. The company maintains
its own large ice cream retail store at 400 North
In addition to fresh milk sold and converted into
Pensupreme Ice Cream, Penn Dairies, Incorporated,
is equipped to process from 200,000 to 300,000
pounds of milk daily through these condensing units
and one drier. Condensed milk, reduced one-third in
volume, is packed in ten-gallon tins for use by con-
fectioners and bakers. Sugared milk, packed in par-
affined barrels, is used as milk solids in ice cream.
Three carloads, or 40,000 pounds of roller-dried milk,
was sold to the United States Government during
1944 for shipment abroad.
Each spring, Penn Dairies, Incorporated, aids in
food conservation by processing the huge seasonal
surpluses of skim milk through condensing and de-
hydrating as much as 200,000 pounds of fresh, skim
At the request of Parent-Teachers' Associations,
Penn Dairies pioneered in York in supplying milk
for school children.
The founders of Penn Dairies, Incorporated, through
their initiative and foresight have built up the com-
pany from a single building and single horse-drawn
wagon, to its present modern plant and fleet of sixty-
seven trucks serving several states.
PENNSYLVANIA FURNITURE CO.
On June 1, 1903, Adam Jacoby, Samuel F. Jacoby,
C. S. Reaser, S. Harlacker, T. C. Wigginton, M. L.
Strayer, S. P. Porter, Gustus Meisenhelter, Peter
Oberlander and H. L. Strayer met in the office of
Adam Jacoby & Brother, corner of Hamilton Avenue
and North George Street, York, Pa., for the purpose
of incorporating under the name of The Jacoby Fur-
niture Company. The original charter of the newly
formed corporation was granted by the Common-
wealth of Pennsylvania as of the ninth day of July,
One Thousand Nine Hundred and Three . . . signed
by Governor Pennypacker and Frank M. Fuller as
Secretary of the Commonwealth.
On June 1, 1910, a special meeting of the Board of
Directors of The Jacoby Furniture Company was held
for the purpose of changing the name of the corpo-
ration to that of the Pennsylvania Furniture Com-
pany, which, since that time, has been the corporate
Since its inception, the corporation has been en-
gaged in the manufacture of bed-room and dining-
room suites during normal periods, but during World
War I and World War II has, in addition, also manu-
factured such items as gun stocks, desks, filing cabi-
nets, chests and various other items for the Govern-
ment of the United States.
None of the original stockholders retain any in-
terest in the corporation at this time; all outstanding
stock having been purchased on June 27, 1944, by
William H. Bodden, who has been president and
general manager of the company since December,
The company normally has about 120 employees.
Twenty-three former employees served in the Armed
Forces during World War II.
100% One-Stop Automotive Service
From a twenty-car capacity converted liverystable
in 1917 to a modern 225-car capacity fireproof ga-
rage today, is an achievement that affords F. H.
Wogan, owner and operator, deep satisfaction.
The Pennsylvania Garage, 26-30 East Philadel-
phia Street, is readily accessible from both the Lin-
coln Highway and Susquehanna Trail. Its facilities
include parking, washing, lubricating, repairing,
towing, tire and battery service.
This establishment has a completely equipped re-
pair shop, wash rack, lubrication department, etc.,
and sells gasoline, motor oils, tires, batteries, and
all types of auto accessories.
H. F. REGENTHAL AND SON
Manufacturers of Assorted Penny Candies and "Yorktowne Suckers"
A child's idea of paradise is the H. F. Regenthal
and Son Candy Factory, where Yorktowne Suckers
and assorted penny candies are made. The sugar
and glucose are boiled in steam-jacketed copper
kettles at carefully regulated temperatures, removed
to the cooling table where pure food coloring is
added, and then pulled on a gadget reminiscent of
the boardwalk. During the pulling, flavoring is
added. The gaily-striped mass is then run through
a molding machine which automatically presses the
sticks into the suckers and molds them into shape.
The final operation is the packing of from 150 to 168
suckers of assorted flavors into boxes and cartons
made in York. The product is then distributed to
candy stores, grocers and wholesalers.
This business, built upon pennies, has prospered
since its founding by Harry F. Regenthal in 1901.
Visitors are now amazed to find a staff of eight em-
ployees and a factory with a capacity of 1,600
pounds of candy per day, in charge of a mere slip
of a girl, who has been keeping the business going
since her father was taken ill a year ago. The same
methods worked out by the founder are used in
manufacturing, insuring a wholesome treat for the
tot bound for the corner grocery or candy store with
penny clutched tightly in hand.
CHARLES H. SHAFFNER
Jeweler Silversmith Watchmaker
In 1934, the first Shaffner Store was opened at 33
West Market Street by Charles and Mary Kathryn
Shaffner. Charles Shaffner, born in Lancaster County
near Elizabethtown, is a graduate of Bowman Tech-
nical School and had been connected for several
years with J. E. Caldwell, of Philadelphia. In the
1920's he served as a master watchmaker with the
Hamilton Watch Co., in Lancaster, opening his own
shop in Red Lion, Pennsylvania, in 1929.
The Shaffner establishment in York offered a small
but excellent selection of timepieces, diamonds, jew-
elry and silverware. Known as "Shaffner's," the busi-
ness enjoyed a steady and healthy growth both in
the original location as well as in its present lo-
cation at 6 East Market Street, where it has been
established since 1940.
Shaffner's now are exclusive representatives for
Reed & Barton, Gorham and Kirk Sterling; Hawkes
and Duncan & Miller Crystalware; Spode, Wedge-
wood, Minton and Adams English Chinas; and The-
odore Hai'iicind China; and also represent Hamilton,
Girard Perregaux, Elgin, Longines, Bulova, Jules
Jurgensen, Herschede Hall timepieces. It is one of
York's most modern jewelry stores.
J. C. PENNEY COMPANY, INCORPORATED
Penney 's Department Store was opened in York,
October 11, 1934. It is one of the chain of more than
sixteen hundred stores which are scattered through-
out the entire United States, belonging to J. C.
Penney and Company, Incorporated, with central
offices in New York City. These are offshoots of the
original dry goods store started in a Wyoming min-
ing town by J. C. Penney in 1902. The policy on
which Penney's has built its phenomenal volume of
business has always been dependable merchandise
at the lowest possible price.
The J. C. Penney Company, Incorporated, does
millions of dollars of business annually with York
manufacturers. Much of the nightwear, shirts, ho-
siery, underwear, ties, shoes, toys, piece goods, and
cotton and rayon dresses distributed by the chain
are manufactured in York.
Penney's in York has experienced a steady growth
since its opening ten years ago. Five years ago, the
store was completely remodeled and enlarged and
further remodeling and air conditioning are included
in Penney's post-war plans. Meanwhile, it continues
to offer to the community excellent values in men's
work and dress clothes, ladies' ready-to-wear, ho-
siery, lingerie, and millinery, dry goods, draperies,
shoes, toys and notions, and many other items.
THE PFALTZGRAFF POTTERY CO.
The Pfaltzgraff Pottery Company, incorporated
April 17, 1906, was originally established in York in
1811 by members of the Pfaltzgraff family. The site
of the present plant, situated in West York Borough
between the Western Maryland and Pennsylvania
Railroads, was occupied in 1906.
Until 1913, the company produced stoneware used
principally for agricultural and domestic purposes.
At that time the production of red clay flowerpots
was begun on a small scale. The manufacture of
this product increased steadily until at present the
flowerpot department of the company is one of the
largest and most modernly equipped in the country.
In 1931, the manufacture of colored ceramic art-
ware began. This branch of the business developed
rapidly with the addition of kitchenware and cook-
ing ware. The company has developed into one of
the major producers of ceramic cooking ware. Such
articles as mixing bowls, frying pans, casseroles,
pitchers, teapots, etc., are produced in a wide va-
riety of glazed colors using stoneware, whiteware,
and colored bodies.
During the war Pfaltzgraff devoted its productive
capacity to the manufacture of chemical stoneware,
producing thousands of small tanks and storage
vessels. Stoneware is also used for many other prod-
ucts such as food containers, insulated jugs and for
the animal feeding equipment used by medical re-
The wide variety of products necessitates the use
of numerous clays and other mineral raw materials.
These are obtained, both in the crude and refined
Unloading Pottery from a Tunnel Kiln
condition, from all sections of the United States and
A sales office and showroom is maintained at
1150 Broadway, New York City.
Office Machines and Equipment
In 1932, "Ream's," a Stationery Store, which had
been operating in Lancaster, Pennsylvania for over
fifty years, took over the operation of the L. C. Smith
& Corona Typewriter Company here in York.
In 1934, the present management of Ream's moved
to York, and established a 100% York Company, the
entire personnel consisting of York people. Ream's
in York is still a part of Ream's in Lancaster.
In 1944, having grown from two employees to
twelve, and our business having expanded, we
bought and built a new property at
371 West Market Street
where a complete office equipment store is main-
tained in conjunction with an office machine main-
We have established a school for the training of
returning veterans under the G. I. Bill of Rights.
In the early days we were interested only in type-
writers. In our expansion program we have in-
cluded: fully automatic calculating machines, and
all-electric adding machines, also all other types of
READ MACHINERY CO., INC.
The Read Machinery Co., Inc., was founded in
1906 by Harry Read for the purpose of manufactur-
ing vertical mixers and bakers' machinery. The orig-
inal plant was located at Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.
The distribution and sale of planetary action vertical
mixers to bakers all over the country was so suc-
cessful that plant expansion was needed, and in
1920, the manufacture of vertical mixers was put on
a production basis in a new plant located at the
present site at the southwest end of York.
The Glen Rock plant was destroyed by fire in 1921
and the entire operation of the company moved to
York. Readco's principal product included various
types of mixers and flour handling equipment for
the baking industry; however, in 1929, the com-
pany expanded these activities and its manufac-
turing facilities to include the fabrication of mixing
equipment and machinery for the chemical process
Readco's progress during the good old "horse and
buggy days" was the result of superior mechanical
construction. Since the company's inception, over
36,000 vertical mixers, ranging in capacity from 5
quarts to 400 quarts, have been built. Also, over
7,500 horizontal type dough mixers have been manu-
factured for bakery operation.
In the spring of 1938, with the advent of the sec-
ond World War, Readco started its war production
investigations and war manufacturing activities. At
that time Readco engineers were one of the first to
lay concrete plans for converting manufacturing fa-
cilities to war work. Readco's engineering talent was
turned to the design, engineering and construction
of various types of war equipment and material.
These men had been trained over the years for intri-
cate engineering detail and precision manufacture.
With the zoning of the country for defense, Readco
worked with various arsenals in the development of
modern powder mixers for the production of smoke-
less powder. Readco was the first manufacturer to
receive the award for these mixers from Picatinny
Arsenal before the government initiated the policy
of contracting with private industries for the manu-
facture of vital explosives. Along with the smokeless
powder mixers, Readco designed and manufactured
smokeless powder mascerators.
In 1938, Readco received the first award given
any private contractor for the manufacture of 60mm.
trench mortars and mounts. A new annex was built
to the factory and equipped for the express purpose
of turning out 60mm. trench mortars on a production
basis. For several years during World War II, this
plant produced fifty per cent of the 60mm. trench
mortars manufactured in this country.
In 1940, Readco started manufacturing Amatol Pre-
heaters, designed by ordnance engineers for use in
heating Amatol in various powder-loading plants.
In 1941, Readco was awarded a contract for manu-
facturing 105mm. high explosive shells and a larger
annex was built to house the highly specialized ma-
chinery and auxiliary equipment for the production
of shells at the rate of 50,000 per month. With the
continued increase of war material required, Readco
undertook contracts for the manufacture and assem-
bly of combustion flasks, gate valves and injectors
required on steam torpedoes.
In 1942, a new small arms powder-cutting ma-
chine was designed and built by Readco for loading
in shell and bomb plants.
In 1943, Readco started manufacturing some of
the important process equipment for making the
At the same time, Readco's engineering staff was
called upon to assist the Quartermaster Corps in
planning, engineering and laying out complete bak-
eries for cantonment in army camps all over the
country. Six different sized bakeries were designed
for supplying camps, ranging in sizes from 5,000 to
In 1942, the Army realized the necessity for hav-
ing a traveling bakery to move with our armies in
the field of battle, in order that they might be
properly fed. In cooperation with the Army Corps
Engineers, Readco designed an entirely new field
bakery, using basic engineering learned from mod-
ern bakery practice.
Readco's line of vertical mixers are also used by
Army and Navy in kitchens and galleys, on land and
the seven seas, for the preparation of many other
types of food. Auxiliary equipment is furnished such
as meat choppers, grinders, cutters, slicers, strainers,
The Read Machinery Co., Inc., was reorganized
under its present management in 1934 by James T.
READ MACHINERY CO., INC.
Duffy, Jr., its president. Under the new management
the plant capacity has been increased to a total of
15,400 square feet of floor space. Present facilities
include complete research laboratories for the de-
velopment of new ideas, a skilled engineering staff
for their practical accomplishments, a modern manu-
facturing plant for precision fabrication and an alert
sales organization with distributors and dealers all
over the United States and the world.
During the past ten years Readco has developed
to become one of the leading manufacturers of bak-
ery equipment throughout the world. The complete
line includes flour handling equipment, sugar han-
dling equipment, horizontal dough mixers, sweet
dough mixers, automatic proofers, roll dividers and
rounders, ingredient water coolers, proof boxes and
fermentation rooms, revolving tray ovens, and stab-
ilized tray traveling ovens, vertical mixers and cake
Many outstanding new developments in bakery
equipment have been originated in the Readco
plant, which today enable the baker to speed pro-
duction and increase quality for tastier baked goods.
Since 1912, when Readco first entered the chem-
ical equipment field, facilities have been expanded
to include the fabrication of all types of equipment
including non-ferrous metals, carbon, special alloys,
solid plate steel, both welding and cast. Pressure
vessels are welded in accordance with ASME Code
and approved by Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection
and Insurance Company. Some of the largest pres-
sure and vacuum mixers for the chemical industry
are built in the Readco plant, many with exclusive
and patented features, such as single packing gland
construction to eliminate contamination of ingredi-
ents being mixed.
Today, Readco is supplying all types of chemical
equipment and has developed a complete line of
standardized machinery and material handling
equipment for that field.
60mm. trench mortars are built on a production line basis, with
individual departmental control.
105mm. high explosive shells turned out at the rate ol 50,000
Torpedo parts for sfeam (orpedoes an extremely dose pre-
cision job machined to exacting tolerances.
Manufacturing dough mixers lor portable field bakeries tor our
"Army on the march."
Retail Shoe Store
During Revolutionary times, "the old jail corner"
referred to the corner of King and South George
Streets, near where Reineberg's now stands. Beneath
the pavement of the shoe shop can be found arched
brick dugouts which might have been dungeons,
perhaps merely coal cellars, maybe both. At any
rate, the county jail, which was used until 1855,
stood on that corner and harbored British officers
and lesser prisoners.
Reineberg's Store, founded in April, 1877, by Ed-
ward C. Reineberg, was first situated at 7Va South
George Street. In those days when curb markets
opened at five o'clock in the morning, so did Reine-
berg's. The veteran employee of the shop, S. A.
Brueggeman, can remember those early market
mornings, when he worked from five o'clock a.m.,
until twelve midnight on Saturdays. Reineberg's, like
Polack's, faced the market's potato row.
Until 1926, the business was both wholesale and
retail; high quality shoes always being sold by the
firm. It was the only agency in York selling Flor-
sheim shoes and is the oldest customer on the Flor-
sheim books, carrying the line for forty-five years.
There was a time when the most expensive shoe in
the shop sold for $5.00.
Edward C. Reineberg, founder, was a man of vi-
sion, foreseeing the future need for expanding the
shop. As a result, he bought the present location
years ago and, in February, 1940, Reineberg's Store
had their official opening of its ultramodern shop,
51-53 South George Street. Edward C. Reineberg
died October 25, 1913. The business is now con-
ducted by his three sons, Edward N., Jacob F., and
S. Cletus Reineberg.
Sixty-three years can make a big difference. In-
direct lighting, plate glass doors and foot X-ray ma-
chines were unknown in 1877. The exterior of the
new building, finished with black carara glass and
vitrolized steel, is one of the most modern architec-
tural sights in the city. Daylight fluorescent lights
and chrome-frame chairs complete the twentieth-
century setting. It is hard to believe that the present
building stands on the spot where a Revolutionary
jail once stood, or that its show windows once faced
the curb market's potato row.
A new generation of Reineberg's is now active in
the store, marking the fourth generation in the shoe
business. J. Cletus Reineberg, son of S. Cletus Reine-
berg, and Rita Reineberg, daughter of Edward N.
Reineberg, take a part in the expert fitting of shoes
for which the establishment has been famed for
The store now has three departments, for men,
ladies and children, all operating on one floor.
Crowded conditions are avoided by placing a large
part of the stock in long corridors opening from the
sides of the room. A large room in the basement,
near the Revolutionary dugouts, will some day be
used for an additional department. Due to the new
arrangement, 15,000 pairs of shoes can be stocked,
on the main floor. Hosiery, bags and findings occupy
both sides of the front portion of the store.
H. M. REHMEYER
Located in the west end of town is the establish-
ment of H. M. Rehmeyer, prominent west end mer-
chant. Shortly after the close of World War I, back
from overseas service, Mr. Rehmeyer, a native of
York County, ambitious and alive to the opportu-
nity of the future, started a retail auto supply busi-
ness in a small store.
Under his capable guidance and perseverence to
succeed, this small venture grew rapidly and soon
blossomed into a very successful wholesale and re-
tail store, occupying the present site at 700 to 710
West Market Street, together with several ware-
houses. Today, it is one of the largest truck and
passenger tire distributors in the country.
Sales and service of tires, batteries, auto acces-
sories, electric refrigerators, ranges and home ap-
pliances now require more than forty employees
with a service fleet of ten cars and trucks.
Soon after Pearl Harbor, when all tires were frozen
and the rubber situation became critical, Mr. Reh-
meyer started at once to contribute his part to the
war effort by converting a portion of his building
and installing one of the most modern tire recapping
and vulcanizing plants in the country.
Here, under the careful supervision of skilled work-
men and "know how" methods, factory molds turn
out a finished product which has been responsible
for keeping many trucks and passenger-cars vital to
our transportation system on the highway.
To keep pace with York's rapid growth and his
expanding business, Mr. Rehmeyer already has
plans for additional new construction and moderni-
zation to begin as soon as conditions will permit.
Mold Room of H. M. Rehmeyer Recapping PJanf
I. REINDOLLAR AND SON
Back in 1890, when carpenters were paid sixteen
cents per hour and in conformity with the times
usually took their pay in meat, hay, clothing, etc.,
Isaiah Reindollar founded his first contracting busi-
ness in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
In 1907, he came to York and established a build-