He had the dough twisted to represent crossed arms,
which was the attitude then assumed in prayer as
may be seen in many old paintings. Pretzels are still
baked in this shape today.
Stauffer's products are supplied to the Yorktowne
Stores, the Community Stores, the Atlantic and Pa-
cific Tea Company, the American Stores, Fishel's and
Fox's Bakeries and to many defense plant cafeterias,
as well as local independent grocers and restaurants.
YORK TOY AND SPECIALTY CO.
Successors to Swartz Cabinet Works
George A. Swartz, in July of 1902, located his first
business, that of cabinetmaking, in a two-story struc-
ture at the rear of his home, 719 West Philadelphia
Street. Increased business necessitated larger work-
ing quarters and a thirty-foot addition, three stories
high was built.
After twenty years at the above location, Mr.
Swartz acquired the present structure located on
Roosevelt Avenue and P. R. R., and installed all
modern machinery. The railroad facilities which
were now available were indeed most helpful and
convenient for shipping.
Swartz Cabinet Works, as the business was known,
specialized in designing and building store and res-
taurant fixtures and all types of cabinet work. Many
of the apprentices who served under Mr. Swartz to
learn the trade are now foremen in other woodwork-
Due to Mr. Swartz's ill health, in 1945, the business
was taken over by his son, E. Nevin Swartz, A. R.
Parker and W. F. Mackin. They too have made a
success in their business, that of toymaking. The
sales territory is spread over many States.
It is with this patronage that they go forward confi-
dently under the name of York Toy & Specialty Co.
SWEIGART'S PHOTO SERVICE SHOP
278-80 West Market Street
B. E. Sweigart founded his first photo service store,
August 10, 1912, at the corner of King Street and
Highland Avenue in York. After two years of con-
ducting a wholesale photo finishing service at this
location, Mr. Sweigart moved his establishment to
286 West Market Street, when both a wholesale and
retail photo service business was established.
In 1917, Mr. Sweigart enlisted in the Army Aerial
Photographic Service. He was honorably discharged
in 1919, reopened his store at its previous location
and within a few years larger facilities were ac-
quired at 278 West Market Street to accommodate
the rapid growth of the business.
Local interest in amateur photography had grown
to such large proportions by 1935 that it was neces-
sary to expand the service facilities of the business.
The store space was enlarged to twice the original
size, the interior of the store was modernized and
an up-to-date finishing plant was installed.
Today, Sweigart's Photo Service Shop is the larg-
est and most modern store of its kind in the commu-
nity. This establishment handles a fine selection of
photographic supplies, accessories and equipment.
Its modern finishing plant produces quality photo-
graphic printing, enlarging, copying and many other
types of finishing.
Founded in 1879, and under continuous manage-
ment and ownership of the same family for sixty-six
years, this store has grown from a small "one man"
shop to be the largest men's and boys' retail store
in this community.
Today, it occupies a three-story building with more
than 10,000 square feet of floor space devoted to the
sales and display of apparel for "Dad and His Lad."
A completely stocked Boys' Department occupies the
second floor, men's clothing is located on the third
floor and men's furnishings on the main floor. Thirty-
five to fifty employees are required to maintain ade-
Men's and Boys' Clothing
quote service throughout the store.
The present owners of "Walker's" are Solomon
and Arthur Walker, who are respectively a son and
grandson of the founder. Employees of this firm have
recoras of twenty, thirty and even forty years and
families have been coming to their "favorite sales-
man" for their apparel needs for many, many years.
Walker's has grown with York and in post-war
York it will continue its expansion with more ser-
vices, better equipment and as always, a wide va-
riety of the most popular assortments in every
GEORGE W. WERTZ
Linoleums, Carpets, Window Shades and Venetian Blinds
When George W. Wertz opened his own shop for
the sale of linoleum, carpets, window shades and
Venetian blinds at 671 West Market Street, in 1938,
he brought with him forty years of experience in the
business. Through personal attention to the needs of
his customers, he has built up a reputation for qual-
ity merchandise and good service.
Sloane-Blabon, Armstrong and Congoleum lino-
leum and rugs are handled, and complete installa-
tion service is available. Mr. Wertz is also qualified
to aid in decorative problems, and is able to advise
customers in the selection of linoleum to blend with
specific color schemes. He also creates beautiful
custom-built floors of Armstrong linoleum with motifs
inlaid in contrasting color.
George W. Wertz has furnished and installed lino-
leum in many of York's finest private homes and
also in the new homes in Park Village, Lincoln Park,
Hillcroft Village, and in many of the homes built by
Schimmel-Binder in Southwood Hills. He has also
installed linoleum in the Manufacturers' Association
Building, the General Electric Company, and the
York Safe and Lock. In the Read Machinery Build-
ing, he provided linoleum and Venetian blinds for
all the offices.
SUPERIOR PAPER PRODUCTS COMPANY
Corrugated Shipping Containers
Superior Paper Products Company was organized
in 1925 and began producing corrugated shipping
containers in that year in Carnegie, Pa., located in
the Pittsburgh industrial area. The manufacturing
equipment was housed in a rented building. This
was a meagre beginning but an enthusiastic one
for the organizers had an idea the idea to make a
better shipping container a container that would
make possible the shipment of a wide range of prod-
ucts which previously had not been attempted in
The Company developed Super Kraft Corrugated
Paperboard. It was a combination of strong wood
fibres giving the greatest strength which had been
achieved up to that time. Super Kraft Containers nat-
urally began to serve an evergrowing number of
shippers in the area. This was gratifying and help-
ful but, of greater importance. Super Kraft Board
was the means to accomplish the Company's orig-
Great strength alone is not enough. The strength
of Super Kraft must be used wisely and applied cor-
rectly. One industry after another was studied its
shipping requirements analyzed. Super Kraft was de-
signed into a container for each particular shipping
job. And one product after another was packaged
and carried to market successfully in Super Kraft
Containers unusual items for corrugated paper
packaging refrigerators, caskets, riling cabinets
and many items of furniture safes, oil burners,
water heaters and machine parts.
This developing and expanding use of Super Kraft
Containers strained and then exceeded the original
manufacturing facilities. Additional capacity was
necessary. A large modern container plant was
erected on the Company's own land in Crafton,
Pittsburgh, Pa. However, it clearly was evident that
other facilities were needed located in the eastern
part of the State where the company could serve
better the increasing reliance of shippers upon Super
York County was selected as the best possible site
for the eastern plant. The first section of the present
factory was built in 1932, in Mount Wolf, a rural
community in York County. From time to time other
sections have been added so that now the plant
comprises approximately 75,000 square feet of floor
space to accommodate the production of containers
by machinery of the most modern design.
Mount Wolf is served by the Pennsylvania Rail-
road and is located near the main highways giving
easy access for prompt and quick deliveries to manu-
facturers throughout the Middle Atlantic States area.
The people are of Pennsylvania German stock who
characteristically place their dependence upon the
land. Productive gardening and general farming is
carried on by a majority of the employees literally
within a stone's throw of the factory. Cultivation of
the soil and production in the factory is a combina-
tion which gives great security to the employees.
Super Kraft Containers have gone to war and are
packaging thousands of items required by the
Armed Forces. Plans are completed for a return to
peacetime shipping the foundation is laid already
for a substantial addition to the factory to keep
pace with the growing container requirements of
Plant at Mt. Wall (York County), Pa.
SUSQUEHANNA BROADCASTING COMPANY
Radio Station WSBA
September 1, 1942, marked the opening of
WSBA, York's newest and most modern radio sta-
tion, located a short distance north of the city along
the Susquehanna Trail.
Owned and operated by the Susquehanna Broad-
casting Company, WSBA is a 100-watt station, li-
censed to operate on a regional channel frequency
of 900 kilocycles, and popularly known as "The
Voice of 57 Counties."
Its studios, transmitter and offices, housed in a
modern building of Colonial architecture in keeping
with the tradition of the community, form a unit un-
surpassed in plan, design and equipment by any
station of its class in the East. It is affiliated with the
American Broadcasting Company.
Since its initial broadcast, WSBA has consis-
tently maintained a policy of public service. Its fa-
cilities are available to all government agencies,
and every call from business, educational, and
philanthropic organizations of the area have been
answered with good will and cooperation.
In addition to the regular radio programs, WSBA
pioneered an outstanding news service, a daily pro-
gram especially planned for the farmers of York
County; the WSBA Radio Chapel, conducted daily
by ministers of all local churches; and the WSBA
Yankee Doodle Club program, which provides a
unique opportunity for the younger citizens of the
community to participate in a production of their
The Susquehanna Broadcasting Company, with
offices at 47 East Market Street, is looking to the
future. It plans to improve and expand its present
standard broadcast facilities wherever possible, and,
in addition, has applied to the Federal Communica-
tions Commission to build and operate a High Fre-
quency, or FM station. It is also following closely
developments in television and Station WSBA will
continue to give York the best programming and
latest developments in the industry.
Ladies' and Children's Apparel
Thompson's was opened in York in April, 1932, in
the depths of the depression by R. J. Thompson and
his sister, Sara A. Thompson Johnson. The business
was operated on a cash basis only and with the
lowest possible overhead. The benefit of the savings
thus effected were passed on to the customer. As the
result of this policy, business increased to such an
extent that expansion into neighboring communi-
ties soon seemed advisable. Accordingly, branch
stores were opened in Carlisle, Chambersburg, Co-
lumbia, Red Lion, Gettysburg, Waynesboro, Ship-
pensburg and Mechanicsburg. The York store, how-
ever, remains headquarters for the chain.
All Thompson Stores continue to feature standard
quality, moderately-priced ladies' and children's
wearing apparel, shoes, hose, millinery and acces-
sories, including many nationally advertised brands.
This merchandise is purchased in the largest whole-
sale markets of the East including New York, Boston,
Philadelphia and Chicago.
The growth of Thompson's from the original single
store employing three persons to a chain of nine
busy stores with a total of seventy-two employees,
First Floor Sales Room.
built up in less than fourteen years, certainly rep-
resents an outstanding achievement in the field of
TRIMMER PRINTING COMPANY
Commercial Color Printers
Beginning as a one-man shop in 1905, Trimmer
Printing Company is now the largest commercial
printing plant in York. The Wrightsville Star, a
weekly newspaper, was the background of experi-
ence on which William H. Trimmer founded his en-
terprise at 203 Park Place in York.
Customers liked the proprietor's "we can do it"
attitude and within two years the size of the plant
was more than doubled. In 1914, a new and larger
plant was built at 129-131 North Penn Street, but in
1917, during World War I, this too was enlarged.
The present brick and steel structure with an area
of 12,000 square feet was built and occupied in 1923.
Through succeeding years the business of William
H. Trimmer shared in the prosperity of the "Twen-
ties," reflected the trends of the "Difficult Thirties."
On Armistice Day, 1940, Trimmer Printing Com-
pany became a four-way partnership. The "Battle
for Britain" had barely been won only the month
before Pearl Harbor was yet to come. The three
new partners were long experienced in the print-
ing trade and John Groome, Raymond Frey and
Chester Stagemyer, respectively, assumed charge of
sales, composition and press production.
Within sixty days sufficient equipment and the
skilled craftsmen to operate it was added through-
out the various departments to more than double the
potential output. Customers, old and new, promptly
placed their stamp of approval on the broader ser-
vices of the new Trimmer Printing Company. Through
succeeding years the signature "Trim-Print York"
has appeared on the printed literature of a steadily
increasing clientele, to carry their sales story all
over the world.
UNITED WALLPAPER, INC
The York plant of United Wallpaper, Inc., largest
manufacturer of wallpaper and wallpaper products
in the world, was built in 1893. It was founded as
the York Card and Paper Company. In 1905, an
addition to the original plant was built to take care
of increasing business. In 1927, the company joined
in a merger of several other companies and formed
the United Wallpaper Factories, Inc. This name was
changed in 1944 to United Wallpaper, Inc. The York
plant is the largest of three plants manufacturing
Through its large-scale production of fine wall-
paper, the York mill has contributed much to the
attractiveness of the American home. Here research
and testing have been carried on, and new devel-
opments and improvements in wallpaper production
utilized. The result of this study is that wallpaper of
real decorative importance and highest quality, once
a luxury item, is now available at moderate cost to
Company Also Engaged in War Work
In addition to this important contribution to better
American living, United Wallpaper, Inc., has greatly
aided the war effort. Just six weeks after Pearl Har-
bor, the company had under way a program of war
production. A far cry from the peaceful occupation
of wallpaper manufacture was the production of in-
cendiary bombs . . . yet on that famous first bomb-
ing mission over Tokyo, the incendiary bombs
dropped were from United Wallpaper's plants. Of
United's seven plants, four are devoted exclusively
to war production. York is the only plant that has
simultaneously produced both wallpaper and war
equipment. Tank parts and mechanisms for loading
and unloading convoy cargo have been produced
at this plant since war was declared. Smoke bombs,
fire bombs and flares are some of the company's
other contributions to the equipment of the armed
This enterprise can truly be called a perfect ex-
ample of York's growth and development.
Started in 1928, by Sol Kranich, who has been a
resident of York since 1904, Tioga Weaving Com-
pany, Inc., began with forty looms in a small build-
ing of 8,000 square feet. This was purely a private
enterprise. No community aid was requested nor any
public bond issue floated.
In spite of the terrible depression which hit the silk
and rayon weaving industry in early 1930's and put
many of the very large and old firms out of business,
Tioga gradually increased its capacity to approxi-
mately 400 looms and 70,000 square feet, averaging
more than 300 employees. Most of the first fifty em-
ployees are still working here.
This record is due not only to the fifty-two weeks'
work per year provided for all employees throughout
good and bad times, but also to the cooperative, cor-
dial employee-management relationship fostered by
the zealous, paternal devotion of Sol Kranich to his
co-workers. That is why in the sixteen years of
steady growth, approximately $10,000,000 has been
spent in York for wages and other labor costs. In
addition, life, accident and health group insurance
have been provided for all employees at Tioga's
On the morning after Pearl Harbor, Tioga offered
to President Roosevelt all the silk in their possession
without any charge whatsoever, and also offered to
weave all this raw silk into parachute cloth without
any charge whatsoever. This offer was accepted by
President Roosevelt with: "Sincere appreciation for
your patriotic offer. . . . Expressions of patriotism
such as yours will go far in expediting our Victory
Program." The material was thereupon accepted by
Robert A. Lovett, Assistant Secretary of War for Air,
with the statement that "this is an outstanding ex-
ample of patriotism and generosity. The War Depart-
ment thanks you for your generosity and commends
you for your patriotic act."
Since Pearl Harbor, Tioga has woven millions of
yards of silk, nylon and rayon parachute fabrics for
the Army Air Forces and the Quartermaster and
Ordnance Departments. They have been instru-
mental in the development of new fabrics for specific
problems presented by these war agencies. In addi-
tion, many millions of yards of other fabrics for other
government departments of the Army Service Forces
have been developed and shipped. All of these ma-
terials were sold at or below cost. This is not only
a tribute to Sol Kranich's two boys fighting overseas,
but also to the other thirty-five stars on Tioga's Ser-
Throughout these years Tioga's policy of concen-
trating on better jacquard fabrics has been main-
tained within wartime limits. Materials which for-
merly were made in European countries on hand
looms are now everyday mass production items.
Tioga's plans for developing better jacquard fabrics
for an ever wider popular price field will be carried
out as soon as conditions permit.
WATT & BROTHER COMPANY INCORPORATED
Richard Watt, of Dundee, Scotland, after spending
six years as an apprentice in the painting and deco-
rative trade and as a student in Art School, came to
this country in the Spring of 1865. He engaged in
photography with Fitz-James Evans who had a gal-
lery on South George Street, York, until December,
1865. When he opened a paint shop on the second
floor of the old Lehmayer Building specializing in
sign work at which he was an expert. He took in
partnership his younger brother, Andrew, in April,
1866, under the firm name of Richard Watt and
Brother. They removed to 108 East Market Street.
They continued in this location for a few years
until they acquired property which had been va-
cated by Laurel Fire Engine Co., on South Duke
Street. They again moved to larger quarters to what
was then, in the year 1884, 30 East Market Street,
afterwards known as 50-52-54. Here they continued
to operate until the year 1922 when they moved to
the Niles and Neff Building, 44 and 46 East Market
Street, where they continued until property was ac-
quired by the Hotel Yorktowne causing removal to
29 South Duke Street, the present location.
Richard Watt died in 1891, and business was con-
tinued by his brother Andrew under the name of
Watt and Brother. The business was then incorpo-
rated in 1896 when Andrew Watt became president
and James Webster, secretary and general manager,
until the passing away of Mr. Watt, in 1900. When
James Webster became president and Richard Watt
Webster, secretary. The business was reincorporated
in 1918 and has continued ever since. For eighty
years the parent company catered to the dec-
orating of the homes of Yorkers and had as cus-
tomers the same families during three generations.
They specialized in decorating of churches and pub-
lic buildings as well as interiors of homes. They built
up a reputation for first-class workmanship and hon-
esty in filling their contracts and earned the confi-
dence of York architects. The Watts were recognized
as leaders in the community.
Recognizing the need for good mechanics in the
painting trade, they opened up a school of instruc-
tion for their apprentices under the direction of Rich-
ard W. Webster, of which Frank P. Connolly and
Ray Reisinger were two of the first students. At a
convention held in York by the Pennsylvania Mas-
ter Painters' and Decorators' Association, prizes
were awarded for the best samples of finished work
from all over the State. Frank P. Connolly was
awarded first prize, a gold medal; Ray Reisinger,
second prize, a silver medal; and Peter Musser, third
prize, which shows the excellence of the training re-
ceived. The company started a branch in Harrisburg
under the management of Richard W. Webster, who
afterwards bought this branch and operated under
the name of Harrisburg Wall Paper and Paint
The company has a record of decorating churches
in Brooklyn, N. Y., Cape May, N. J., Baltimore, Md.,
and all over the State of Pennsylvania. They have
maintained a retail store handling only the best
grades of wall paper, paints and varnishes. They
were the first in York to recognize the value of
Old Laurel Fire House, Home ot Watt & Brother in 1878.
Valspar which was manufactured by Valentine and
Company of New York. They handled such high-
grade products as Dutch Boy White Lead and Buffalo
Paints and Varnishes for which they are agents in
this neighborhood, also Valentine French Enamel
and Wallmaster Flat Wall Paint.
James Webster, president of the firm, has been
connected with the company for fifty-eight years
having entered York the day it was made a city, on
April 4, 1887, and is ably assisted in the contracting
part of the business by Chauncey C. Gladfelter, who
has been with the company for about thirty-five
years; and L. Rowe Maxell, in the sales department
for twenty-five years.
WEAVER PIANO CO., INC
Continuously Active in the Music Industry for More Than Seventy-Five Years
Two outstanding characteristics of the early set-
tlers of Southeastern Pennsylvania were responsible
for the establishment of the Weaver Piano Co., Inc.,
in 1870, and for its success since that time. These
1. The pride of fine craftsmanship expressed in
the production of useful and sturdy objects.
2. The love of music particularly self-expression
through making music.
The founder, J. O. Weaver, was a widely known
musician and music teacher who combined his pas-
sion for fine craftsmanship with his love of music. He
gathered around him a group of men of similar in-
terests and devoted his energies to the business to
the time of his death in 1884. Through incorporation
in 1882, the company continued to grow by the pro-
motion to executive duties of individuals trained and
qualified by previous service to the company.
In 1935, the company engineers designed, per-
fected and patented the Weaver Bi-Level Action.
This is the only device which permits the design of
small Spinet Pianos with keyboard at proper height
without the use of additional moving parts or attach-
ments in the piano action and keys. This Weaver
Bi-Level Action is a basic contribution to the art of
building Spinet Pianos which meet the musical re-
quirements of concert musicians.
With America's entry into the war in 1942, the
engineers of the Weaver organization developed the
Plastic Plywood Plate Piano and applied for patent
for it. This invention reduced the metal content of
a Spinet Piano from 165 pounds per piano to less
than thirty-eight pounds per piano with improve-
ment in tone and in the musical qualities of the
piano. This piano designed originally as the Weaver
Field Type Piano, was adopted by the U. S. Army,
U. S. Navy, American Red Cross and other Military
Auxiliaries for Camp, Field, Hospital, Hospital Ship