YORK MOTOR EXPRESS COMPANY
Twenty-five years of progressive freight transpor-
tation by motor truck is our record.
To the citizens and industry of York City and York
County we extend our sincere thanks for coopera-
tion in aiding us in developing one of the most effi-
cient and flexible modes of freight transportation.
Prior to 1920, the term "overnite service," so com-
monly used today, was entirely unknown to Yorkers.
During that year with two trucks, we inaugurated
a fast dependable freight service between York and
New York City. For instance, eggs and poultry,
which yesterday were still on York County farms,
are included in today's menus in New York City.
Fish, swimming contentedly in the Atlantic today,
will be offered to Yorkers tomorrow. Industrial de-
mands were even greater. By 1927, we operated
fifty trucks and extended our service to Philadelphia,
Baltimore and Washington. We constructed terminals
at all important cities on our routes and maintained
our own shops for repairs and rebuilding equipment.
December, 1941, found us adequately prepared to
fulfill the demands made upon us by York industries.
At that time, we maintained a fleet of 340 units, 11
terminals and served direct over 1,100 cities, towns
and villages in Pennsylvania, Maryland, District of
Columbia, Delaware, New Jersey and New York. In
addition, connecting line service is available to all
States and import and export service via the Balti-
more, Philadelphia and New York Ports. We are
today transporting 1,500 tons of freight daily, 85%
of which is used directly in the war effort.
York County is truly a hub of efficient motor trans-
portation service radiating North, East, South and
West and affording prompt, courteous, dependable
YORK OFFICE SUPPLY COMPANY
32 N. George St.
The York Office Supply Company also known as
YOSCO which has been serving York and its sur-
rounding counties for almost a quarter of a century
has gradually expanded until today it is the largest
stationery, office equipment and gift store in the city.
William H. Trimmer, of Trimmer Printing Company,
is the owner. Thomas T. Tappenden, one of the char-
ter members of the organization, is still with the firm.
A competent sales staff consisting of Lloyd H. Her-
man, Walter Anderson, Mrs. Sally Oberdick and
fourteen other employees are always ready and
eager to render friendly and helpful service.
York Office Supply Company handles the products
of reputable, nationally-known manufacturers, in
two stores conveniently located at 32 North George
Street and 326 West Market Street, respectively.
YOSCO stands ready to help you select a suitable
chair or desk for your office, to simplify your record
keeping with the latest in filing systems and book-
keeping aids, or even to suggest the layout for an
326 W. Market St.
entire new office or department. All this is a part of
their regular service.
Since 1923, York Office Supply Company has been
headquarters for stationery, greeting cards, fountain
pens, desks, filing equipment, and in fact "Every-
thing for the Office."
If you are too busy to visit one of the stores, dial
2682 and a salesman will call on you.
"YOSCO service must please you to please us."
THE YORK NATIONAL BANK AND TRUST COMPANY
York's Oldest Banking Institution Established 1810
Originally called the York Bank, this old institu-
tion was founded in January, 1810, by eleven of the
leading citizens of that day. Subsequently, and under
the Congressional Act of 1814, Pennsylvania was
divided into twenty-seven banking districts. York
County was one of these, and the York Bank, ac-
cepting the provisions of the Act, assumed the entire
banking responsibility of this district a trust which
it held until 1845. It is interesting to note that the
York Bank numbered among its many patrons of this
Original Building, once (he Indian Queen Hotel.
era many of Pennsylvania's great and near-great,
including members of the Continental Congress and
even the Marquis Lafayette (in 1824).
It was in 1814, also, that the York Bank acquired
the building which then housed the Indian Queen
Hotel, the same site on which The York National Bank
and Trust Company stands today.
In November, of the year, 1864, the York Bank be-
came The York National Bank by virtue of the Na-
tional Bank Act which was passed the previous year.
Throughout the 135 years since its inception,
throughout the development of the State and Na-
tional banking laws and through all the years of
growth of the bank itself. The York National Bank
and Trust Company has continuously played a major
part in the banking requirements of this community.
Through more than six generations the bank has
never missed a dividend, having for 262 times paid
regular dividends amounting to over $3,509,000.00.
Expanding with the requirements of York's indus-
tries, commerce and individuals, in October, 1940,
The York National Bank and Trust Company opened
an Eastern branch at 721 East Market Street as the
result of the acquisition of the Eastern National Bank
of York. In 1942, the parent institution at 107 West
Market Street was completely remodeled and mod-
ernized. In January, 1943, the First National Bank of
Fawn Grove, Pennsylvania, became the Fawn Grove
branch of The York Natonal Bank and Trust Com-
pany. Finally, in June, 1943, the assets and liabili-
ties of the Central National Bank and Trust Com-
pany of York were acquired by The York National
Bank and Trust Company.
Today, York's Oldest Bank, traditionally in the
forefront as a progressive banking institution, offers
the following modern services:
TRUST ADMINISTRATION, as Executor or Trustee, in
the administration or settlement of estates and testa-
mentary trusts, with complete facilities and a sea-
soned and experienced advisory staff.
CHECKING ACCOUNTS, with the added protection of
modern check photography.
SAVINGS ACCOUNTS, for large and small depositors,
including a Christmas Savings Club.
LOAN AND MORTGAGE DEPARTMENT for the servicing
of real estate, business and personal loans.
SAFE DEPOSIT BOXES with private coupon rooms
adjoining, and a completely modern Safe Keeping
TRAVEL DEPARTMENT, which today is almost exclu-
sively engaged in the sale of War Savings Bonds
and Stamps, but which will, with the return of peace,
revert to its original duties.
SCHOOL SAVINGS DEPARTMENT, designed to acquaint
the youth of York with the advantages and proper
use of banking connections.
VETERANS' DEPARTMENT. A new department de-
voted to financial assistance to Veterans of World
War II under the Congressional Acts which offer loan
assistance to Veterans.
With assets currently in excess of $27,000,000.00,
The York National Bank and Trust Company is still
pioneering. Strong evidence testifies to its intent of
continuing as a progressive banking institution in
a progressive community. The wide experience and
progressive-mindedness of the incumbent Board of
Directors is an important factor.
The Presen( Building is a replica of (he Colonial S(a(e House.
YORK PAINT AND HARDWARE COMPANY, INC
Paint, Hardware, Floor Covering
Historically speaking, the York Paint and Hard-
ware Company celebrates its 103rd anniversary this
year. Over a century of continuous progress and ser-
vice to industries and individuals in York and adja-
cent communities is a fine testimonial. It reflects an
aggressive pioneering spirit, a comprehensive knowl-
edge of community requirements, and a keen desire
to participate in York's industrial and commercial
Prior to 1842, Jacob Hantz came to York from Da-
vidsburg, Pennsylvania. He operated a hotel called
"The Matter House" and was sheriff of York County
at that time.
In 1842, Mr. Hantz erected the present building at
Market Street and Pershing Avenue and started in
the hardware and grain business as Jacob Hantz. He
was the sole owner of the business until 1856 when
his brother became associated with him and the
name of the company was changed to Hantz and
Brother. In 1886, Grant Hantz assumed control of the
business and in 1893 employed C. S. Stitzel, present
owner of the York Paint and Hardware Company,
Inc., as a clerk. In 1899, Mr. Stitzel purchased the
interest of Grant Hantz and changed the name of
the enterprise to York Paint and Color Company.
During the period between 1899 and 1920, the
York Paint and Color Company was operated as a
partnership, the first partners being C. S. Stitzel and
Harry McFall. It was later changed to C. S. Stitzel
and Joseph Rupp. This partnership terminated in
1918 and C. S. Stitzel operated the business himself
from 1918 to 1920.
In 1920, the business was incorporated under the
laws of Pennsylvania and renamed York Paint and
Hardware Company, Inc. Present officers are C. S.
Stitzel, president, who has been with the company
for the past forty-six years; H. Luke Owen, vice-
president, who has been with the company since
1920; and William C. Stitzel, secretary, since 1930.
Facilities of the business include the four-story
building located at 203 West Market Street, in which
the retail store is located. Warehouses located at 31
North Pershing Avenue are also occupied. Ninety-
two per cent of the business is wholesale and eight
per cent retail. The wholesale business consists of
the distribution of builders' and furniture hardware,
roofing products, all types of glass, linoleum and felt-
base floor covering, paint and sundry items. Service
is rendered to manufacturing plants in and around
York County and floor covering distribution covers
seventeen counties in Central Pennsylvania, parts
of Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia.
Before Pearl Harbor, the York Paint and Hardware
Company, Inc., had four trained representatives in
the field. Present personnel consists of fourteen men
and five women. Four employees are in the armed
Present Retail Store
YORK SAFE AND LOCK COMPANY
Designers and Manufacturers of the World's Largest Vaults
York Safe and Lock Company was established
in 1882 with a very modest brick factory building
erected on the Loucks' Mill Road, paralleling the
tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, North-
ern Central Division, and just outside the city limits.
S. Forry Laucks, late president of the company,
started as a boy with the company in 1887, and be-
came general manager in 1890. Through his untiring
efforts the company progressed steadily from 1890
to become one of the important plants in the State
of Pennsylvania, and the most important in the
world in the industry to which it belongs.
The plant now covers ten acres of ground, and
has the most modern equipment, including the small-
est to the heaviest type of tools, all motor-driven,
making it possible to manufacture with the greatest
economy their line of bank and safe deposit vaults,
fire and burglar resistive safes, and chests.
Important Bank Jobs
This company has the distinction of manufactur-
ing and installing the largest and heaviest vaults in
in the world, among them being the Federal Re-
serve vaults in New York City, which are the larg-
est in the United States, and have revoluble doors
which were conceived and patterned by the York
Safe and Lock Company. They also built Federal
Reserve vaults in Boston, Mass.; Philadelphia, Pitts-
burgh, Pa.; Cleveland, Cincinnati, Ohio; Chicago,
111.; Minneapolis, Minn.; Little Rock, Ark., and Louis-
ville, Ky., as well as the other prominent banking
institutions in the United States, some of which are:
Chase National Bank, National City Bank, Bank of
Manhattan Company, Bank of New York and Trust
Company, Guaranty Trust Company, Irving Trust
Company, Bowery Savings Bank, First National
Bank, all of New York City; First Trust and Sav-
ings Bank, Chicago, and Provident Trust Company,
Foreign installations include: Bank of Spain, Ma-
drid, Spain; Bank of China, Shanghai, China; Bank
of Portugal, Lisbon, Portugal; Central Bank of Man-
chu, Hsinking, China; Royal Bank of Canada, Mon-
treal, Canada; Bank of Montreal, Montreal, Canada;
Banco de Mexico, Mexico, D. F.; Bank of Japan,
Tokyo; and Guaranty Trust Co., London.
The reverence with which the Chinese hold the
ashes of their ancestors is strikingly brought to the
attention of the Occidentals by the construction of
a York Safe and Lock Company fireproof vault door
for the inner entrance to the tomb and national
shrine of Dr. Sun-Yat-Sen, famous Chinese general,
revered for the three principles he taught national-
ism, democracy and livelihood.
With the World War came the dire need by our
Government for the quick construction and delivery
of equipment for its rapid and successful conduct.
The attention of the Government was directed to the
industrial plants of the country and to their possibil-
ities for being converted speedily from the making
of peacetime products to implements of warfare.
Among the first of the managers of these great plants
to be summoned to Washington was S. Forry Laucks,
and it was at once made apparent that the organi-
zation and facilities of his plant could be quickly
diverted to war work and converted into a huge
source of supply of the needed materials and imple-
ments of war. Their record of production made them
YORK SAFE AND LOCK COMPANY
Designers and Manufacturers of the World's Largest Vaults
recipients of special awards of honor by the United
States Army and Navy as the war progressed.
Awarded a prime contract by the Army in July,
1938, to build three-inch anti-aircraft gun mounts,
York Safe and Lock Company was the first private
firm in the United States to make heavy ordnance
since World War I. As subsequent Army and Navy
contracts were received, the company expanded
from one plant to five plants and two gun-proofing
ranges, all located in York, Pennsylvania, and all
100% devoted to war production. Here are a few of
the Army and Navy weapons made by this company.
For the Navy
Twin and Quad Bofors 40mm. Anti-Aircraft Guns
and Mounts . . . The largest machine guns in use
today, they are power-driven, and are our Navy's
answer to enemy air power. These are the guns that
gave so much sting to the carrier Enterprise and the
South Dakota (Battleship "X").
Aircraft Depth Bomb Fuses . . . These are the
delicate mechanisms that made possible such Axis
obituaries as "Sighted Sub Sank Same." Airplanes
and blimps drop the bombs, and fuses, set by the
bombardier, explode at predetermined depths.
Naval Shields and Gun Slides . . . Thick armor
plate shields or "turrets" protect the equipment and
the crew of main battery guns on our cruisers, heavy
cruisers and battleships. Slides in which the guns
are mounted are big but intricate precision assem-
blies for cushioning the terrific recoil and maintain-
ing accuracy of fire.
Surface Craft Depth Bomb Fuses . . . These deadly
1 ash cans" are dropped from the stern and lobbed to
starboard and port by Y-guns. Precision fuse mech-
anisms control the explosion by water pressure so
that subs are bracketed from varied angles and
depths by destructive "diamond patterns."
For the Army
155mm. Howitzer Carriages . . . Heavy siege guns
like those used to blast Nazi fortifications in North
Africa and Italy are mounted on these mobile car-
riages. The guns can fire three 95-lb. shells per min-
ute, hurling them a distance of nine miles.
37mm. Guns and Carriages . . . The battle per-
formance of this short range equipment made it
the Army's all-purpose weapon. The guns are hard-
hitting, light and accurate; are used in the field
against tanks and small installations and can be
drawn by jeeps or pack-carried. Also, they are effec-
tive armament in airplanes.
90mm. Anti-Aircraft Gun Mounts . . . Fired and
aimed by remote control, 90's threw heavy ack-ack
against high-flying planes much to the sorrow of
Jap flyers over Guadalcanal.
Three-inch Anti-Aircrait Gun Mounts . . . The first
armament of its type to be made by a private firm
since the last World War, they are similar to the
90mm. and are also the first heavy weapons that
could be quickly put in position against hostile
York Safe and Lock Company also manufactured
detonating fuses, 1.1" and 40mm. projectiles for the
Navy; for the Army it also made 37mm. shot, 40mm.
shells, detonating fuses and tank accessories, and
fabricated armor plate for tanks, airplanes, jeeps
and scout cars. In addition, ordnance was produced
in many forms for our Allies.
Other war activities included the manufacture of
safes for the Maritime Commission; safes, chests and
lockers for the Navy; safes and vault doors for the
Army, and similar products for many other Govern-
Division of York-Shipley, Inc.
York-Heat was one of the pioneers in the devel-
opment and manufacture of oil-fired equipment. Its
execuiives and engineering staff are seasoned men
who have literally grown up in the industry.
After Pearl Harbor, when the Defense Program
quickened into all-out production for war, York-Heat
placed all its accumulated experience, creative and
production brains, and plant facilities at the service
of the nation. The Army-Navy "E" pennant flying
over the York-Heat plants attests the success of its
York-Heat's war work falls into two broad cate-
gories. First, oil-fired equipment of special types
needed for the prosecution of the war. Some of these
were evolutions of existing York-Heat equipment,
for which York-Heat could draw upon its vast fund
of knowledge and experience. Other military appli-
cations were new in conception and had to be de-
veloped from scratch. York-Heat engineers and pro-
duction experts rolled up their sleeves and sweated
out the job.
Conspicuous among these highly specialized ap-
plications of York-Heat for wartime uses are an air-
plane engine heater for quickly warming up the
engines of planes; a fog (smoke screen) generator;
oil-fired military laundries and bake ovens; heating
installations for the Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and
Maritime Commission; Diesel electric generating
units for lend-lease.
York-Heat's second wartime assignment was the
making of precision parts for the deadly weapons
used to beat down the Axis. Among these were
turret-race assemblies, and other vital parts, for
Army tanks; parts for amphibious tanks; 50-calibre
antiaircraft gun mount rings; precision parts for Bo-
fors guns; gun mounts for landing craft.
All of these critical items had to meet exacting
government specifications, be produced in quantity,
and delivered on time. York-Heat, significantly hon-
ored by the confidence of the armed forces, delivered.
Having manufactured oil-burning equipment
throughout the war period, production for peace
presents no problem of reconversion for York-Heat.
Armed with the priceless benefits of wartime expe-
rience and research, with plant and personnel ade-
quate for the job, York-Heat is set for production of
its post-war models.
York-Heat plans penetration of the entire national
market, and is already active in the export trade.
York-Heat design embodies many exclusive, pat-
ented, basic refinements ... as well as numerous
advancements born of wartime production for the
Government. These, and precision-techniques in
manufacturing, confer on York-Heat post-war mod-
els a notable degree of compactness, efficiency,
trouble-free operation, and fuel-saving economy.
To a public more than ever mindful of the advan-
tages of automatic heat . . . automatic oil heat . . .
York-Heat offers the finest and most complete line
of domestic, commercial, industrial, and marine oil-
fired equipment in America. In it will be found oil
burners, boiler-burner units, winter air conditioners,
and oil-fired water heaters for the home; industrial
boiler-burner units, horizontal rotary industrial oil
burners, low pressure and high pressure steam gen-
erators ... to meet the need for every kind of heat-
ing and power generating installation.
YORK TELEPHONE & TELEGRAPH COMPANY
The York Telephone & Telegraph Company is a
locally owned public utility that serves the City of
York and nearly all of York County with local and
long distance telephone service. Over 21,000 tele-
phones are connected to this system. Calls beyond
York County are routed over the lines of the Bell
System and thus York telephones can reach prac-
tically all the telephones in the world.
In addition to telephone service, the company pro-
vides the nerve system for all the other means of
electrical communication. Its lines interconnect radio
stations and their transmitters and carry telegrams
from customers to the telegraph office. Tele-type-
writer, stock quotation, and news printer services
likewise are transmitted. Burglar alarms, fire alarms
and remote control of electrical apparatus are all
found in the telephone cables. In fact, without the
telephone company many of these public conve-
niences would not be possible.
York has frequently enjoyed the newest in com-
munications developments. It was, for instance, one
of the first cities to have dial equipment when that
installation was made in 1919. At that time an in-
stallation of dial service in a city as large as York
was considered a brave advance because of the
complexity of the equipment involved. Now about
60% of the telephones in the United States are dial
because it has proven to be amazingly accurate and
reliable while giving the community the greatest
possible speed in communication.
The complexity of the automatic telephone ex-
change can well be imagined by considering this
picture which shows just one automatic connector.
The York telephone exchange has 2,830 of these
switches and they are only part of the machines
necessary for the interconnection of 6,000 local tele-
phone lines. Each switch like this one has 300 wires
connected to it. Its nimble electric fingers pick out
the line demanded by the tiny electric impulses sent
to it from the dial of the calling party. Furthermore,
they apply ringing impulses to the line, after select-
ing the right kind of impulse from a choice of five
so that only one telephone will ring if there are
Automatic Telephone Connector Switch
Connecting Underground Telephone Cables
several on that line. The completion of a single
call requires the operation of five separate ma-
chines, working one after another, and yet the com-
plete chain of events takes place in a few seconds.
To do this the telephone company has 48,500 elec-
trical relays which must be maintained in delicate
Every effort has been made to put the distribution
lines beyond the reach of storm damage. Well over
90% of the wire serving the city is underground. The
accompanying picture shows an employee in a man-
hole preparing to splice two underground cables,
each of which contains 2,400 wires. His job is an
exact science because he must know which wire in
one cable must be connected to any one wire in the
other. Furthermore, when the splice has been com-
pleted, a cover of lead must be put around it and
that must be made watertight. In York there are 800
manholes similar to this one and 31,851 miles of wire
in the underground system. Besides making tele-
phone service more reliable, this is a great contri-
bution to civic beauty. If the wires shown in this
picture alone were strung on open-wire lines, it
would require forty rows of poles, each carrying
sixty wires, and they would fill a path 400 feet wide.
An interesting method is used to prevent trouble
in certain cables. They are filled with nitrogen gas.
Even a tiny pinhole in the cable sheath will cause
the gas pressure to drop, giving warning of the fault
and assisting in its location.
YORK PAPER BOX COMPANY
present management. Current products include shelf
boxes, file cabinets, shirt and shoe boxes, tooth
boxes for the world's largest manufacturer of false
teeth, boxes for packing nylon bindings for para-
chutes, and hardware boxes for Navy supplies. The
company has been listed by the War Manpower
Commission as 95% essential to the war effort.
At the present time we are manufacturing about
75% of our boxes for shoes, the other 25% for knitted
clothing, hardware, shirts, teeth, parachute bindings,
and as holiday boxes for department stores.