Boston Biographical review publishing company.

Biographical review ... containing life sketches of leading citizens of Worcester County, Massachusettes . online

. (page 102 of 161)
Online LibraryBoston Biographical review publishing companyBiographical review ... containing life sketches of leading citizens of Worcester County, Massachusettes . → online text (page 102 of 161)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Parker, April 10, 1862; Mary Moore (de-
ceased), April 6, 1864; William W., Novem-
ber 19, 1865; Hannah Dcmgot, November 19,
1867; John Calvin, May 30, 1869; Edward
Moore, October 30, 1871 ; Eunice Webster,
August 13, 1874; George Hammond, October
19, 1877; Theresa, September 8, 1879.

Horace Mann Locke, the fourth chikl anil
special subject of this sketch, received his
early education in the schools of San Jose, Cal.
In 1881 he entered the Harvard Metlical
School, from which he received his degree in
1 886. After a year spent in his California
home he returned East, and for three years
was a physician in the McLean Asylum,
Somerville, Mass. He next opened an oflfice
in Brockton, Mass., where he became very
po|nilar and successful, serving three years as
City Physician, and was elected and served on
the Board of Health. In connection with the
City Engineer he was influential in securing



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



the superb system of sewerage which the city
of Brockton now enjoys. It is what is known
as the intermittent downward filtration. He
remained in 15rockton up to iiSgs, when he
settled in Sturbridge. He has a large and
lucrative practice as a regular physician and
surgeon.

On December 12, iSSS, Dr. Locke was
united in marriage with Eunice Blanchard,
who was born in Brockton, July 27, 1862.
They have two children : Dean Jewett, born
February 14, i8go; and Louise, born June 13,
1892.

Dr. Locke votes the Republican ticket. He
is a member of the following organizations:
the Massachusetts Medical Society, the Har-
vard Medical Alumni Association, the Ameri-
can Medical Society of Chicago, and the Mas-
sachusetts Emergency Hygienic Society. In
1894 he was a member of the Massachusetts
Association of Boards of Health. He also
belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows and the Improved Order of Red Men.




DWIN GRIMES, the proprietor of the
Forest House in Princeton, is a native
of Hubbardston, Mass. He was born
January 25, 1827, son of Aaron and Sally
(Stowe) Grimes, and is of the fourth genera-
tion in descent from Jo.seph Grimes, Sr. , the
pioneer settler of that town.

In the History of Hubbardston we find this
record: "Joseph Grimes came from Tewks-
bur}- in 1761. He was the finst man who
came here with the intention of making a
permanent settlement." The house lot "re
mained in the family till sold to E. M. Coffin
in 1879."

Joseph Grimes, Jr., born August 9, 1744,
was a youth of seventeen when he went to
Hubbardston with his father and brothers.
He spent the active period of his life in the
cultivation of a farm situated in the eastern
part of Hubbardston. He died November 19,
1834, in his ninety-first year; and his wife
died April 22, 1833. They were the parents
of ten children, born as follows: Susanna,
May 23, 1772; Zephaniah, March 31, 1774;
Attarah, March 18, 1776; Aaron, January 14,



1778; Ruth, April 29, 1780; Asenath, April
4, 1782; Betsey, October 28, 1784; Amiable,
March 12, 1787; Lucretia, February 17, 1789;
and Clarissa, January 28, 1794.

Aaron Grimes, having succeeded to the
homestead, was industriously occupied in
farming throughout his active jears. Like
his father, he survived his ninetieth birthday,
his death occurring July 5, 1868. At finst
a Whig, he later became a Republican. He
was an active member of the Congregational
church. Sally, his wife, who was a native of
Concord, Mass., gave birth to ten children,
as follows: Aaron, November 27, 1804;
Sophia, January 23, 1806; Otis, September
14, 1808; Charles, November 11, 1810;
Silas, July 27, 1815; Jarvis, July 5, 1817;
Joseph, April 18, 1820; Sarah, October 21,
1821; Sewell, August 24, 1824; and Edwin,
the subject of this biography. The survivors,
besides Edwin, are : Oti.s, who resides in New
York City; and Sewell, a resident of Hub-
bardston. The mother died October 28, 1868,
aged eighty-six years.

After beginning his education in the com-
mon schools, Edwin Grimes attended the
Westminster Academy for one term, paying
for his tuition with money he had earned by
chopping wood. He resided at home until
twenty-one years old, assisting in carrying on
the home farm and performing outside work
for wages, which were duly given to his
father. As a young man, he taught school in
Hubbardston and Rutland for a time. He
was also otherwise employed for several years,
during which he bought his present property
in Princeton. Then, returning to the home-
stead, he cared for his parents during their
last days. In 1869 he settled on his Prince-
ton farm, which he has owned since 1853;
and, opening the Forest House, he has since
given his attention to the entertainment of
summer boarders. The house was built for
a tavern by one Dr. Wilson, near the close of
the last century. With its airy, high-studded
rooms, containing old-fashioned fireplaces, and
its table well supplied with dairy products and
vegetables from the farm, it accommodates
about twenty guests. It is situated near the
centre of the town, a short distance from



820



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



churches, schools, library, post-office, and
hotels, and is in close proximity to Mount
Wachusett, thus affording splendid opportuni-
ties for driving and the enjoyment of beautiful
scenery.

On October 3, 1858, Mr. Grimes was united
in marriage with Hannah E. Ferguson, of Bel-
fast, Me., who was born April 15, 1833. He
has four sons, namely: Albert B., born June
30, 1859, who married Mary Wood of Holyoke,
is a journalist, and resides in Somerville,
Mass. ; E. Lincoln, born November 8, 1864,
who married Elizabeth A. Shangraw, of Pitts-
ford, Vt., and is a civil engineer, residing in
Rutland, Vt. ; Thaddeus S. , born October 13,
1866, who married Mary M. Jessop of Atlanta,
Ga. , is a mechanical engineer, and resides in
Atlanta, Ga. ; and Maurice W. , born March 19,
1 87 1, who resides in Princeton, and is employed
by the Massachusetts Highway Commission as
Resident Engineer in the construction of State
roads. In politics Mr. Grimes is a Republi-
can. He has been Overseer of the Poor for
four years in succession, and he has served as
Town Clerk since 1886. Both he and Mrs.
Grimes are members of the Congregational
church, and he serves the society in the capac-
ity of Deacon.




ON. JEREMIAH GATCHELL, Na-
tional Bank E.xaminer, a prominent
resident of Blackstone, Mass., was
born in Woonsocket, R. I., July 13,
1836, son of John G. and Mary (Warren)
Gatchell. He belongs to a family of Eng-
lish origin that has been settled in New Eng-
land somewhat more than two hundred \ears.
His grandfather was Jeremiah Gatchell, of
Marblehead, Mass., who served as a soldier
in the Revolutionary War and in the War of
1812, and was afterward lost at sea. His
grandmother Gatchell, whose maiden name
was Elizabeth Gifford, being left a widow
with a large family, went to live in Black-
stone, where employment could be found in
the mills; and she later removed to Woon-
socket. She received a pension from tlie gov-
ernment.

John G. Gatchell, son of Jeremiah and Eliz-



abeth, was born in Marblehead in 1813. He
settled in Blackstone in 1847, and resided here
for the rest of his life. He was for some
years engaged in the manufacture of carriages.
He was quite active in public affairs, and held
several important town offices. He married
Mary Worrall, daughter of Ottiwell Worrall,
of Dorchester, Mass. Two sons were the fruit
of this union, namely: Moses, who entered the
service as Captain in the Fifteenth Regiment,
Massachusetts Volunteers, and was killed at
the battle of Ball's Bluff; and Jeremiah, the
subject of this sketch. The father died in Oc-
tober, 1897.

Jeremiah Gatchell obtained his education
in the public schools and at the Wilbraham
Academy. When sixteen years old he entered
his father's carriage factory, and at the age of
twenty was admitted to partnership. The firm
of J. G. Gatchell & Son carried on business in
Blackstone until 1865. He then engaged in
another line of business at East Blackstone
in company with Thomas Worrall, and after
continuing in that for about three years he
sold his interest in order to embark in the
manufacture of cotton yarn, in which he car-
ried on quite an extensive business for four
years. At the end of that time he closed his
factory.

Politically, Mr. Gatchell is a Democrat, and
was formerly a leading spirit in the public
affairs of Blackstone. He was Town Clerk
four years, chairman of the Board of Select-
men for the same length of time, and Commis-
sioner of the Sinking Fund for fifteen years.
During the years 1874 and 1S75 he was a
member of the State Senate, serving as chair-
man of the Committee on Public Lands in the
first session, and in the second being assigned
to the same chairmanship, and also to the
Committee on Towns. He was appointed
Postmaster by President Johnson in 1864, and
held office until 1866. In July, 1875, he was
appointed Savings Bank Commissioner by
Governor Gaston for three years. He was re-
appointed by Governors Rice, Long, and
Rol)inson, and resigned to accept his present
l>osition of National Bank Examiner, tendered
him by Secretary of the Treasury Manning.
At the time of his original appointment as



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



821



Commissioner of Savings Banks he was the
only examiner in Massachusetts. During the
jianic of 1892 he was subject to duty wherever
called, and was placed in charge of insolvent
banks in New York and New Hampshire. He
is still financially interested in business enter-
prises in Blackstone, and is treasurer of and a
heavy stockholder in the Electric Light Com-
pany. He is a member of Blackstone River
Lodge, F. & A. M. , and has served as Deputy
Grand Master.

In October, 1855, Mr. Gatchell married for
his first wife Rosetta Wood, daughter of
Thomas F. Wood, of Woonsocket. The only
child of this union died in infancy. His first
wife died in 1857; and in September, 1864, he
wedded I\Larietta Stafford, daughter of Christo-
pher Stafford, also of Woonsocket. Of this
union there is one daughter — Edith, who was
born November 23, 1874, is married to W. H.
Chase, and resides in Woonsocket.



I



VER JOHNSON, who was known through-
out the country as the founder of Iver
Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works of
Fitch burg, and a manufacturer of fire-
arms and police goods, was a native of Nord-
fjord, Norway. Born February 14, 1841, he
in 1863 settled in Worcester, Mass. Here,
eight years after, in partnership with Martin
Bye, he hired a small factory on Church Street,
and began the manufacture of revolvers, doing
business under the firm name of Johnson, Bye
& Co. In 1873 the business had so increased
as to necessitate its removal to larger quarters
at 44 Central Street, and in 1875 the firm
bought the entire building. Thereafter room
after room was added for manufacturing pur-
poses until 1881, when the whole edifice was in
use. Two years later Mr. Johnson bought out
the interest of Martin Bye, and since then the
business has been conducted under the present
firm name.

In 1 88 1 Mr. JcAnson established agencies in
New York, Boston, and other large cities of
the United States; and his goods became
known in all sections of the country. Agen-
cies were also started in Canada and Mexico.
Besides manufacturing fire-arms under their



own patents, the firm made drop-forgings; and
in 1885 they entered upon the manufacture of
bicycles. Mr. Johnson remo\cd to l'"itchburg
in 1 89 1, purchasing the plant owned by the
Walter Haywood Chair Manufacturing Com-
pany. At that time the firm had made about
one thousand bicycles. The business had been
increased, up to 1891, to seven thousand bicy-
cles ; and now they make fifteen thousand a
year, together with a large quantity of fire-
arms and single .shot - guns, giving employ-
ment to between seven hundred and eight
hundred employees. The I\er Johnson's Arms
and Cycle Works comprise five brick build-
ings, each as large as an ordinary factory,
containing one hundred and fifty thousand feet
of floorage. They are equipped with all mod-
ern conveniences, including five appliances,
heating, and ventilating arrangements, electric
lights and bells, speaking tubes, telephones for
all departments, elevators, three five-hundred-
light dynamos, modem machinery, and tools.
They have large wholesale and retail depots in
New York, Boston, Worcester, and Fitchburg,
with an ofifice and branch in London, England.
A skilled force of metallurgists is employed;
and there is every facility for testing, both
chemically and mechanically.

Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycles are known
throughout the civilized world as "honest
goods at honest prices, ' ' being so named by
the dealers. The firm make their own forg-
ings; also their peculiar construction of flush
joints, which they originated. It is a funda-
mental principle of theirs not to buy any part
which can be made within their own factory.
Their output of fire - arms and shot - guns is
larger than all the small fire-arms manufact-
urers in this country combined. The popular-
ity of Iver Johnson fire-arms is due to excel-
lent workmanship, obtained by long experience,
exceptional facilities, and superior ingenuity.

While living in Worcester, Mr. Johnson was
a director of the Sovereign's Co-operativ-e
Store and of three co-operative banks of that
city, the president of the Equity Co-operative
bank for several years, the vice-president of the
Home Co-operative Bank, and a charter mem-
ber of all three banks. In politics he was a
Republican, although he never held public



822



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



office; and he was a close student of economic
questions. A member of Worcester Lodge, he
was a thirty - second degree Mason and a
Shriner.

He resided in Worcester for a time after
moving his business to Fitchburg, but eventu-
ally he took up his residence here, selling his
Worcester home and severing his connections
with that city.

Mr. Johnson was married in 1869 to Mary
Elizabeth Speirs, of Norwich, Conn., who bore
him four children : Fred Iver, J. Lovell, Wal-
ter O. , and Mary L. , all of whom were born in
Worcester. Fred I. was educated at the
Worcester Academy, and is manager of the
estate; J. Lovell received his education at the
Worcester Polytechnic Institute and the Bry-
ant & Stratton Commercial College, Boston,
Mass. ; and Walter O. is at present a student
in the mechanical department of the Drexel
Institute, Philadelphia. In failing health for
some time previously, Mr. Johnson died Au-
gust 3, 1895. At this time he was a director
of the Fitchburg National Bank, a trustee of
the Fitchburg Savings Bank, and the president
of the Iver Johnson Sporting Goods Company.




"ON. LEDYARD BILL, a prominent
and highly esteemed citizen of the
town of Pa.xton, is one of the best
known men of Worcester County.
He was born in 1836 in that ])art of Groton,
Conn., which on the day of his birth was in-
corporated as a town, and in honor of the gal-
lant colonel who commanded the garrison at
P'ort Griswold during the Revolution, and there
lost his life, received the name of Ledyard.
The legislative committee, learning of the op-
portune appearance of the young citizen in the
new municipality, reciuested, as a favor to
themselves, that he be christened Ledyard Bill.
He is of Knglish ancestry, being a lineal
descendant of Philip l^ill," who is believed to
have been a son of John' and Dorothy liill and
a brother of James' and Thomas' Bill, all early
emigrants to New luigland. The family ap-
pears to have been closely connected with that
of Governor VVinthro]^. Deane VVinthrop and
James Bill lived at Pullen Point, now in the



town of Winthrop. Philip Bill and John Win-
throp, Jr., went to Connecticut, locating in
Groton, which was the home of a number of
generations of one branch of the liill famil)-.
Richard Bill, a descendant of Thomas Bill, son
of John and Dorothy, was a business man in
Boston and a member of the Governor's Coun-
cil of the province for four successive )'ears.
He was a firm friend of John Hancock, the
patriot. Richard Bill's portrait, after the
original by Copley, graces the walls of Mr.
l^ill's Pa.xton residence. A copy likewise of
the same is to be seen in the State House,
Boston. Joshua Bill, the grandfather of Led-
yard, was a brave minuteman in the Revolu-
tion. He was wounded at the engagement at
Fort Griswold. His son Gurdon, Mr. Bill's
father, was for many years a teacher, then a
merchant, and at a later period a successful
farmer of Ledyard, Conn.

Ledyard Bill grew to man's estate on his
father's farm. He fir.st established himself in
business as a publisher in Louisville, Ky. ,
where he continued until after the breaking out
of the war of the Rebellion, when on account
of the demoralized condition of business he
returned North and settled in New York City.
He there carried on a successful publishing
business until forced to retire from active pur-
suits on account of ill health. Since then he
has made his home in Pa.\ton, and among the
good people of this vicinity has won a place of
influence. He is a warm friend of the farmers,
and at all times a champion of their rights and
privileges. This was especially notable when
in 1 89 1, as a Representative to the General
Court from Paxton, he was chairman of the
Committee on Agriculture, and worked hard
for the passage of the oleomargarine bill,
which became a law, largely through his ef-
forts. He al.so defeated the noted "salary
grab" of the legislature. In 1894 and 1S95,
in a district previously Democratic for four
years, he was elected as State Senator, the first
year by a majority of one thousand, which the
next year was increased by five hundred votes,
a gr:md victory for the Reiniblicans and a
great comjiliment to Mr. Bill, who led every
other candidate on the ticket.

Mr. Bill is a man of literary ta.stes and



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



823



activity, and has ]iiiblished several volumes of
interest, among them being "A Winter in
Florida," a work on Minnesota, a genealogy
of the Bill family, and a history of Paxton.
An enthusiastic antiquary, he is a life mem-
ber of the New England Historic Genealogical
Society; a corresponding member of the Wis-
consin Historical Society, of Madison, Wis. ;
a life member of the Long Island Historical
Society, of Brooklyn, N.Y. ; and a member of
the New London Historical Society, of Con-
necticut; and he is president of the Oroskaso
Historical Society of Worcester County. He
is an honorary member of the American Me-
chanics, a Knight of the Essenic Order, and
an as.sociate member of the Worcester Post,
G. A. R.

Mr. Bill married Miss Sophie Earle, who
was born and bred in Paxton. They have
three children, namely: one son, Frederic L. ,
who was graduated from Amherst College ; and
two daughters, Bertha Earle and Lucy S.



/©Yo



EORGE F. SARGENT, an enterpris-
V 3 I ing boot and shoe dealer of North-

— boro, was born in Hubbardston,
Mass., in 1854, son of Sidney H. Sargent.
The first ancestor of the family of whom there
is any authentic knowledge was William Sar-
gent, who was one of the early settlers of
Maiden, Mass., and owned a large tract of
land in that town. Some of his descendants
settled in Lancaster, Mass. It is related
that, when the minute-men were marching to
Lexington in 1775, they stopped at the Sar-
gent homestead for breakfast, and that, while
they v\^ere partaking of the meal, the women
of the house melted the lead clock-weights
into bullets. Daniel Sargent, grandfather of
the subject of this sketch, was a man of com-
manding presence, resided in Hubbardston and
Petersham, was in well-to-do circumstances,
and lived to be over eighty years old. He
served as a Captain in the State militia, was
Constable for a number of years, and a chor-
ister in church.

Sidney H. Sargent, one of Daniel's ten
children, was born in Hubbardston. When a
young man he learned the shoemaker's trade



Later he did some contracting, following that
business until 1861, when he enlisted in the
Thirty-second Regiment, Massachusetts Vol-
unteers, joining a company that was com-
manded by his warm personal friend. Cap-
tain George L. Prescott, of Concord Mass.
The Thirty-second was mustered into service
at Fort Warren, Boston Harbor, from which
point it was transported South; and it entered
into active service in Virginia. Sidney II.
Sargent remained with his company until com-
pletely exhausted by long-continued marching.
On one occasion, while lying in his tent, his
knapsack was shot from under his head. He
was at length taken to the hospital at Alex-
andria, where he died in the fall of 1862, and
was buried in the cemetery attached to the
hospital. His wife, being notified of his seri-
ous illness, went on to Alexandria, expecting
to find him living, but instead found only his
grave. His body, with those of others, has
since been transferred, it is said, to the Na-
tional Cemetery at Arlington.

Mr. Sargent married Miss Hannah Rice,
daughter of Ralph Rice, of Hubbardston.
She was the mother of three children, one of
whom died in infancy. The survivors are:
Harriet B. ; and George Franklin Sargent, the
subject of this sketch. Harriet B. Sargent,
who was graduated from the Worcester (Mass.)
Normal School and afterward studied abroad,
has devoted her life to educational work, and
is now teaching at the Penn Charter Institute
in Philadelphia, Pa.

George F. Sargent completed his education
at the Wilbraham Academy, during which
period he taught school winters and one term
the following winter. At the age of twenty-
one he went West, and was there employed as
commercial traveller for two years. After-
ward he was connected with the Lake Shore &
Michigan Southern Railway for ten years,
making his headquarters at Oil City. While
residing there he was also engaged in the whole-
sale produce business. He retired from the
company's service in March, 1889, receiving a
most flattering testimonial from the head of
the department in shape of a letter commend-
atory of his business ability and character, and
wishing him success in his new field. In



824



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



July, 1889, he came to Northboro and pur-
chased the boot and shoe store which he has
since successfully conducted.

Mr. Sargent married Anna E. Clement,
daughter of Rufus Clement, of Petersham,
and has two children — Rufus Theodore and
Ethel Clement. Though not an aspirant to
public office, he is keenly alive to the needs
and interests of the town, and has taken an
active part in its improvement. Besides serv-
ing as a member of the Board of Water Com-
missioners, he is registrar of the board; and
he was on the committee which erected the
Gale Public Library. He is connected with
the Royal Arcanum, and is a member of the
Unitarian church. Mrs. Sargent, who pos-
sesses rare intellectual ability, has been a
member of the School Board, the secretary of
the Northboro Social Club, and a member of
the Music Committee of the Unitarian church
and of the Reading Circle.



T^YRUS H. MENTZER, one of the
I Sr^ best-known residents of Northboro,
^lU was born in Sterling, Mass., Janu-

ary 23, 1844, son of Cyrus and Mary
S. (Fay) Mentzer. His grandfather, Philip
Andrew Mentzer, was for many years a pros-
perous wheelwright of Westford, Mass. Cyrus
was educated in the public schools of North-
boro. At the age of eighteen years he enlisted
in the I-'ifty-first Massachusetts Volunteer In-
fantry, Colonel A. B. R. Sprague, and served
in the Eighteenth Army Corps under General
Foster. He was on duty for some time in
North Carolina, and afterward at Fortress
Monroe. Then he went to Baltimore, from
which place he took prisoners to Fort Mc-
Henry. After the battle of Gettysburg he
went to Harper's Ferry, and was encamped
on Maryland Heights. At the expiration of
nine months, his term of enlistment, he was
honorably discharged, and returned to Massa-
chusetts, locating in Northboro. In 1872 he
removed to Reading, where he remained four
years. Returning to Northboro in 1875, he
was here engaged in agricultural pursuits until
1893, when he moved to the village and estab-
lished himself in the undertaking business,



which he has since followed successfully.
During the past five years he has had charge of
the cemetery, in which he has made many
improvements.

A Republican in politics, Mr. Mentzer has
served on the Republican Town Committee
and filled various town offices. In 1877, 1878,
1879, 1 88 1, 1882, 1883, and 1895 he was a
member of the Board of Selectmen, being the



Online LibraryBoston Biographical review publishing companyBiographical review ... containing life sketches of leading citizens of Worcester County, Massachusettes . → online text (page 102 of 161)