Boston (Mass.).

Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1963) online

. (page 11 of 16)
Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1963) → online text (page 11 of 16)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


William E. O'Connor



officials
Louise Day Hicks, Chairman
Thomas S. Eisenstadt, Treasurer
William H. Ohrenberger, Superintendent
Edward J. Winter, Secretary
Leo J. Burke, Business Manager
James S. Reardon, Schoolhouse Custodian

board of superintendents

William H. Ohrenberger Superintendent

assistant superintendents

John m. Canty Marguerite G. Sullivan

Willla-m J. Cunningham William G. Tobin

Charles O. Ruddy Louis R. Welch



THE SCHOOL COMMITTEE OF THE CITY OF BOSTON 111

BUSINESS SCHOOL

Boston School of Business Education

LATIN AND DAT HIGH SCHOOLS (16)

Boston Latin, Girls' Latin, Boston Technical High (Boys), Brighton
High, Charlestown High, Dorchester High, East Boston High, English
High (Boys), Girls' High, Hyde Park High, Jamaica Plain High,
Jeremiah E. Burke High (Girls), Roslindale High, South Boston
High, Boston Trade High (Boys), Trade High for Girls.

DAY JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICTS, SCHOOL DISTRICTS WITH JUNIOR
HIGH CLASSES, AND DAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICTS (74)

East Boston. — fBlackinton-John Cheverus, Chapman, fDonald McKay-
Samuel Adams, Emerson, * Joseph H. Barnes Junior High, Theodore
Lyman

Charlestown. — * Clarence R. Edwards Junior High, Harvard, Warren

North and West Ends. — J Michelangelo-Eliot-Hancock, f Wendell
Phillips- William Blackstone

City Proper. — f Abraham Lincoln-Quincy, f Prince

South End. — Dwight, f Rice-Franklin

South Boston. — Bigelow, Hart-Gaston-Perry, John A. Andrew, Norcross,

* Patrick F. Gavin Junior High

RoxBURY. — t Dearborn, Dillaway, Dudley, Elhs Mendell, Henry L.

Higginson, Hugh O'Brien, f Hyde-Everett, * James P. Timilty Junior

High, Julia Ward Howe, * Lewis Junior High, f Martin, f Sherwin,

WUliam Lloyd Garrison
Brighton. — Bennett, James A. Garfield, * Thomas A. Edison Junior

High, Thomas Gardner, Washington Allston, * William Howard Taft

Junior High
Jamaica Plain. — Agassiz, t Francis Parkman, Jefferson, Lowell, * Mary

E. Curley Junior High
Roslindale. — Charles Sumner, Longfellow, * Washington Irving Junior

High
West Roxbury. — Beethoven, Patrick F. Lyndon, * Robert Gould Shaw

Junior High
Dorchester. — Christopher Gibson, Edmund P. Tileston, Edward

Everett, Emily A. Fifield, * Grover Cleveland Junior High, John

Marshall, John Winthrop, Mary Hemenway, Mather, Minot, *01iver
Wendell Holmes Junior High, * Patrick T. Campbell Junior High,

** Paul A. Dever, Philhps Brooks, Robert Treat Paine, Roger Wolcott,
*Solomon Lewenberg Junior High, William E. Endicott, f William E.

Russell, * Woodrow Wilson Junior High
Hyde Park. — Elihu Greenwood, Henry Grew, James J. Chittick,

* William Barton Rogers Junior High

* Grades VII-IX only. t Grades K-IX.

t Grades K-VIII. All others include Grades I- VI.

** Grades K-IV.



112 MUNICIPAL REGISTER

SPECIAL SCHOOLS

M. Gertrude Godvin School. — For truants and other school offenders

School for the Deaf. — Horace Mann School

Day School for Immigrants. — For instruction in English language

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES

Administration Building, 15 Beacon street. Headquarters of all officials.
Annex, 45 Myrtle street.

At Administration Building Annex, 45 Mjrrtle street, educational and
employment certificates are issued daily (except Saturdays) from 8.30
A.M. to 3.30 P.M. Physical examination of applicants for employment
certificates daily from 8.30 to 9.30 a.m.

Minors' licenses (i.e., minors under 16 years of age to act as newsboys,
etc.) are obtained by application to the Principal of the school which the
minor attends.

SUPERVISORS OF ATTENDANCE

[Stat. 1931, Chap. 394, Sect. 146.]
These officers are appointed by the School Committee, and under their
direction enforce the laws relating to absentees from school. There are
36 supervisors of attendance besides the head supervisor and they may be
seen at 9 a.m. and 1.30 p.m., on the days that the schools are in session
at the school designated by the head supervisor.

SCHOOL PHYSICIANS AND SCHOOL NURSES

Regular medical inspection of the schools was maintained from 1894 to
1915, under the supervision of the Health Department. Beginning
September 1, 1915, the School Committee took charge of this service.
For all schools and districts there is 1 Director of School Hygiene in charge
of 1 school physician assigned to the certificating office, 1 ophthalmologist,
1 otologist, 52 school physicians, and 6 school medical aids.

Chapter 357, Acts of 1907, provided for the appointment by the School
Committee of 1 supervising female nurse and as many district female
nurses as are deemed necessary. For the 75 j unior high and elementary
school districts there is 1 supervising nurse in charge of 4 assistant supervis-
ing nurses, 1 nurse assigned to the certificating office, 1 nurse assigned to
the ophthalmologist, and 66 school nurses (including 10 high schools), and
1 nurse assigned to the otologist.

PHYSICAL EDUCATION

In 1907, the School Committee was authorized to provide for the
extension of physical education and recreation of pupils, including proper
apparatus and facilities in the buildings, yards and playgrounds under
their control.

The School Committee appropriates, out of the tax levy, for this branch
of education such amount as it deems necessary. The Committee has
also the right to appropriate the unexpended balance of the previous year;
the estimated income for the current year, and the unexpended balance
in the separate fund under Chap. 71-47. The appropriation for 1962 is
$814,951.



THE SCHOOL COMMITTEE OF THE CITY OF BOSTON 113

The Department of Physical Education comprises 1 director; 1 associate
director; 1 assistant director; 4 elementary supervisors; 2 instructors of
military science; 1 armorer; 38 women and 47 men instructors of physical
education; 64 teacher coaches of athletics, high schools; 36 teacher coaches
of athletics, junior high schools; 17 assistant teacher coaches, 35 play
teachers.

INDUSTRIAL SCHOOLS PARTLY MAINTAINED BY STATE

By Chapter 471, Acts of 1911, and Chapter 106, Acts of 1912, the State
especially encourages the establishing of Independent Industrial Schools,
allowing financial aid for their maintenance proportionate to the amount
raised by local taxation and expended for all public schools. Under this
arrangement the School Committee is reimbursed by the State to the
extent of one half the net maintenance cost of such industrial schools
established in Boston thus far with the approval of the Massachusetts
Department of Education. By Chapter 805, Acts of 1913, Continuation
Schools, for employed children between fourteen and sixteen years of age,
were included under the same plan of State aid. The schools thus main-
tained are the Boston Trade High School (for Boys), day and evening
classes, Trade High School for Girls, Compulsory Continuation School,
and practical arts courses in the evening elementary schools.

For the agricultural course in the Jamaica Plain High School, the
School Committee is reimbursed to the extent of two thirds of the cost of
instruction.

There are co-operative industrial courses in eight high schools, as fol-
lows: Boston Technical High (printing), Brighton (automobile mechanics),
Charlestown (electricity), Dorchester (woodwork and upholstery), East
Boston (machine shop), Hyde Park (machine shop), Jamaica Plain (agri-
culture), and South Boston (sheet metal and auto body).

INDUSTRIAL ARTS

Industrial arts courses in shopwork are given in the following high
schools: East Boston High School, Hyde Park High School, RosUndale
High School, and South Boston High School.

There are 150 shops, including 9 classrooms used for drafting, in ele-
mentary and junior high schools, in which the following named subjects
are taught: drafting, electricity, interior decoration, machine shop, print-
ing, sheet metal, woodwork, and diversified shop subjects.

Cardboard construction and handcrafts in the fifth grade, although
taught by classroom teachers, are supervised by the department.

Gardening is conducted by the department as summer activity on a
seven-acre plot of City of Boston property in Woburn.

HOME ECONOMICS

In the Home Economics Department there are 133 teachers, an assistant
director and a director.



114 MUNICIPAL REGISTER

There are 10 high schools offering courses in Home Economics, Brighton,
Charlestown, Dorchester High, East Boston, Girls' High, Hyde Park
High, Jamaica Plain, Jeremiah E. Burke, Roslindale, and South Boston.

In the high schools of Boston there are 8 appointed teachers of Home
Economics; in addition, there are 7 appointed teachers assigned from
Junior High, 4 appointed teachers assigned from Elementary, 1 provisional
teacher and 2 temporary teachers. There are 15 standard clothing labora-
tories, 8 food laboratories, and 4 home economics suites.

In the junior high there are 30 teachers of foods, including one teacher
assigned to Special Class Occupational Center, one teacher assigned to
Trade High School, and one teacher assigned from Trade High School.
There are 70 elementary and junior high school teachers of clothing.
There are also 6 temporary teachers, 1 provisional teacher having a home
economics program, and 1 provisional teacher assigned to Horace Mann
School. There are 3 home economics teachers at the M. Gertrude Godvin
School.

There are 46 rooms equipped for instruction in foods, 16 of these have
adjoining suites. There are 109 classrooms equipped for the teaching
of clothing.

EVENING HIGH, ELEMENTARY AND TRADE SCHOOLS

There are seven evening high schools: Boston Central Adult, (J. E.
Burke Schoolhouse), Brighton, East Boston (Joseph H. Barnes School-
house), Roslindale, Roxbury (Boston School of Business Education),
and South Boston. These schools, the sessions of which are held on
Tuesday and Thursday evenings, from 7 to 10 o'clock, are conducted in
the several high schoolhouses of the districts named. All but the Boston
Central Adult High are commercial schools.

There are eight evening elementary schools in session on Tuesday and
Thursday evenings from 7 to 10 o'clock.

North End Evening Elementary School meets on Monday and Wed-
nesday evenings from 7 to 10 o'clock.

There is one evening trade school, Boston Evening Trade School, with
two branches located in the Brighton High and South Boston High School-
houses. These schools are conducted on Tuesday and Thursday evenings,
from 7 to 10 o'clock.

DAY SCHOOL FOR IMMIGRANTS

In the Abraham Lincoln School there are classes for immigrants where
instruction in the English language is provided, classes being conducted
daily (except Saturday) for four hours a day from 9:00 a.m., to 1:00 p.m.

COMPULSORY SCHOOL ATTENDANCE

All children fourteen to sixteen years of age employed under an em-
ployment permit or released from regular school attendance under a



THE SCHOOL COMMITTEE OF THE CITY OF BOSTON 115

Home Permit are required by law to attend a course of instruction in
education four hours per week. These children are assigned to the
Abraham Lincoln School, 152 Arlington Street, Boston, for the equiv-
alent of a continuation school education.

USE OF SCHOOLHOUSES FOR EDUCATIONAL, SOCIAL, AND CIVIC
PURPOSES

In 1912 the School Committee was authorized by statue to allow the
use of buildings under their control by associations and individuals (other
than school pupils) for educational, recreative, social, civic, philanthropic,
and similar purposes at times when the schools were not in session.
Under this arrangement there are now thirteen School Centers, each
having a manager and largely attended on two evenings a week. More
than 125 school buildings are also used by non-school center groups.



USE OF SCHOOLS AS POLLING PLACES

Besides the renting of school halls for club meetings, entertainments,
etc., basements and other accommodations in schoolhouses are used by
the Election Department as polling places, lighting and custodian service
being paid by the Election Department,



PENSION AND RETIREMENT FUND FOR TEACHERS

The School Committee, by a majority vote of all its members, may
retire with a pension any member of the teaching or supervising staff
of the public day schools who has reached the age of sixty years, also
such other members as are incapacitated for further efficient service.

These pensions are paid to teachers who were retired before the estab-
lishment of the Boston Retirement System, or who have not become
members of the Boston Retirement System or State-Boston Retirement
System.

The School Committee is authorized to provide for these pensions by
appropriating annually such amount as it deems necessary, which to-
gether with the unexpended balance of the previous year, the amount of
reimbursement from the Commonwealth, and the appropriation of accrued
interest in the Permanent School Pension Fund, will pay pensions for
the year.

On December 31, 1962, the Permanent School Pension Fund amounted
to $68,281.77 and 154 retired teachers were receiving pensions therefrom.

The Boston Teachers' Retirement Fund Association, started in 1900,
is at present paying $120.00 per year to 1,362 Annuitants, the total amount
of the Fund on August 31, 1962 being $2,359,387.52. At that date 2,507
teachers were contributing $24.00 per year to the Fund.



116



MUNICIPAL REGISTER



BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS OF
SCHOOL BUILDINGS



Department of School Buildings

Ofl&ces and Warehouse, 26 Norman Street

[Stat. 1929, Chap. 351.]

James F. Dinneen, Chairman, selection of other two members. Term
ends December 1, 1963.

Joseph F. Feeney, appointed by School Committee. Term ends
December 1, 1964.

Thomas E. Leggat, appointed by Mayor. Term ends December 1, 1965.

William A. McPhebson, Superintendent of Construction

At the City Election held November 5, 1929, on the referendum —
"Shall chapter 351, of the Acts of 1929, entitled 'An Act to estabUsh a
board of commissioners of school buildings and a department of school
buildings in the city of Boston' be accepted" there were 110,453 votes
in favor, 57,276 against, and 50,632 blanks.

By the provisions of the Act, the board ' ' shall consist of three citizens
of Boston who otherwise are neither officials nor employees of said city,
one of whom shall be appointed by the mayor . . . without approval
by the civil service commissioners, one by the school committee, and one
shall be chosen by the two so appointed, or shall be appointed by the
governor if the appointees of the mayor and school committee fail to
choose a commissioner as aforesaid within thirty days after a second
of such appointees has been appointed."

According to section 2 of the Act, the Department of School Buildings
is established, to be under the charge of a superintendent of construction
who shall be elected by the board of commissioners, to serve at the pleasure
of the board.

Upon the election of a superintendent of construction, the board of
echoolhouse commissioners of the schoolhouse department and said
department shall be aboUshed.



BOSTON FINANCE COMMISSION



Office, 24 School Street

[Stat, 1909, Chap. 486 § § 17-21; Stat. 1921, Chap. 81; Stat. 1923, Chap.
489; Stat. 1924, Chap. 369; Stat. 1948, Chap. 175; Stat. 1961,
Chap. 40.]

officials

George Berkley, Chairman

Thomas J. Murphy, Executive Secretary



BOSTON FINANCE COMMISSION



117



Commissioners
JosFPH P. McNamara
George Berkeley
Lawrence F. O'Donnell



Roger J. Abizaid, M.D,



Term ends in 1963
Term ends in 1964
Term ends in 1965
Term ends in 1966
Term ends in 1967



The Finance Commission is constituted under the Amended Charter of
1909. It consists of five commissioners appointed by the Governor and
confirmed by the Executive Council, the term of each being five years.
The Chairman of the Commission is named by the Governor. The mem-
bers of the Commission, other than the chairman, serve without pay.

It is the duty of the Commission to investigate, at its discretion, all
matters relating to appropriations, loans, expenditures, accounts and
methods of administration affecting the City of Boston or the County
of Suffolk, or any of their departments, and to report upon its investi-
gations from time to time to the Mayor, the City Council, the Governor
or the General Court.

The Commission is required to make an annual report, in January, to
the General Court. It is also the duty of the Commission to report to
the Mayor, the City Auditor or the City Treasurer as to the validity or
proper amount of any doubtful pay roll, bill or claim referred to it by them.



LICENSING board;



Office, 24 Province Street, eighth floor

[Stat. 1906, Chap. 291; Stat. 1909, Chap. 423; Stat. 1918, Chap. 259,
Stat. 1921, Chap. 59; Stat. 1922, Chaps. 392 and 485; Stat. 1926;
Chap. 299; Stat, 1933, Chaps. 97, 284 and 376 (Chap. 376 is now
the new Chap. 138 of the General Laws); General Laws, Chap. 140,
§ § 2 and 202.]

[Note: Roller skating rinks, merry-go-rounds, etc., were transferred
to the Mayor's Office by Chap. 169 of the Acts of 1936. The hcensing
of the sale of denatured alcohol for mechanical, manufacturing, and
chemical purposes, under Section 76 of Chap. 138 of the General
Laws, was eliminated by Section 43 of Chap. 440 of the Acts of 1935.J



officials



John J. Callahan, Chairman
Edwin J. Thomas, Secretary



118 MUNICIPAL REGISTER

THE BOARD

Albert L. O'neil Term ends in 1964

John J. Callahan Term ends in 1966

Clarence R. Elam Term ends in 1968

The Licensing Board for the City of Boston was established by Statutes
of 1906, Chapter 291. It consists of three members appointed by the
Governor, with the advice and consent of the Council. They must be
citizens of Boston who have resided in Boston for at least two years pre-
ceding the date of their appointment. The two principal political parties
must be represented on the Board and the term of the members is fixed
at six years after the first appointment, which was for six, four, and two
years. The Board was created to exercise all the powers and perform all
the duties conferred upon the Board of Police of the City of Boston rela-
tive to intoxicating liquors (now called alcoholic beverages), innholders,
common victuallers, billiard and pool tables, sippio tables, bowling alleys,
intelligence offices, and picnic groves.

By Statutes of 1909, Chap. 423, the Board was given the right to issue
licenses to "Sunday dealers in ice cream, or confectionery, or soda water
or fruit". (Repealed, see c. 616 Acts of 1962.)

By Statutes of 1918, Chap. 259, the Board was granted the right to
issue licenses to lodging houses.

By Statutes of 1922, Chap. 392, the Board was given the right to license
"retaU vendors of soft drinks."

By Statutes of 1926, Chap. 299, the Board was given the right to grant
entertainment licenses in places where such entertainment was carried on
in conjunction with sale for cash of food or drink six days of week but not
on Sundays.

By Chapter 284 of the Acts of 1933, the Board was given authority to
grant victuallers' licenses to clubs, societies, associations or other organiza-
tions which dispense food and beverages on their premises, to their stock-
holders or members and their guests and to no others.

By Chapter 376 of the Acts of 1933, now Chapter 138 of the General
Laws, the Board was given the authority to issue alcohoUc beverage
licenses to common victuallers, innholders, taverns, clubs and retail
druggist and package stores, and to suspend or revoke the same after a
hearing.

By Statute of 1949, Chapter 361, the Board was given the right to
license mechanical amusement devices and regulate the operation thereof.
By Statutes of 1953, Chapter 622, in addition to the notice which the
Licensing Board for the City of Boston is required by law to give to the
public concerning applications for new licenses, under Sections 12, 15 or
30A of Chapter 138 of the General Laws, and applications for transfer of
location of said licenses, it shall also give notice of such applications to the
state representatives of each representative district affected by the appli-
cation, and also to such persons, groups, and organizations as have for-
mally requested in writing that such notice be given them for license
applications in a designated representative district.



THE FRANKLIN FOUNDATION 119



THE FRANKLIN FOUNDATION



[Stat. 1905, Chap. 448; Stat. 1908, Chap. 569; Stat. 1927, Chap. 40;
Stat. 1941, Chap. 212; Stat. 1953, Chap. 77; Stat. 1957, Chap. 119;
C. C. Chap. 48, § 5.]

MEMBERS OP THE CORPORATION OF THE FRANKLIN FOUNDATION

John A. Lunn, President

Noel Morss, Vice-President and Secretary

John S. Pfeil, Vice-President

Charles E. Cotting, Treasurer

John F. Collins, Mayor of Boston (ex officio)

Rev. Rhys Williams, Congregational Minister (ex officio)

Rev. Howard P. Kellett, Episcopalian Minister (ex officio)

Rev. Sidney G. Menk, Presbyterian Minister (ex officio)

Charles E. Cotting, John Lowell, John A. Lxjnn, Noel Morss,

John S. Pfeil, Winthrop F. Potter, Appointed by the Supreme

Judicial Court

Franklin Institute of Boston, 41 Berkeley Street
Louis J. Dunham, Jr., Director
The Franklin Foundation is incorporated under Chapter 569 of the
Acts of 1908, a board of citizens being named therein to act for the City
in the control of the Franklin Fund and in maintaining the Franklin
Institute of Boston as an independent technical institute for adults.

The Franklin Fund is the proceeds of a bequest of one thousand pounds
to "the Inhabitants of the Town of Boston in Massachusetts" made by
Benjamin Frankhn, in a codicil to his will dated June 23, 1789. The
codicil provided that the fund "if accepted by the Inhabitants of the
Town of Boston" be managed "under the direction of the Select Men,
united with the Ministers of the oldest Episcopalian, Congregational and
Presbyterian Churches in that Town," who were to make loans on certain
conditions to "young married artificers, under the Age of twenty-five
years."

Dr. Franklin, who died April 17, 1790, calculated that, in one hundred
years, the thousand pounds would grow to one hundred and thirty-one
thousand Pounds "of which," he says, "I would have the Managers then
lay out at their discretion one hundred thousand Pounds in Public Worka
which may be judged of most general utility to the Inhabitants . . .
The remaining thirty-one thousand Pounds I would have continued to be
let out on interest in the manner above directed for another hundred



120 MUNICIPAL REGISTER

years ... At the end of this second Term, if no unfortunate acci-
dent has prevented the operation the sum will be Four millions and Sixty-
one thousand Pounds Sterling, of which I leave one Million sixty-one
Thousand Pounds to the Disposition of the Inhabitants of the Town of
Boston, and Three Millions to the disposition of the Government of the
state, not presuming to carry my views farther." The Town accepted
the donation at a Town Meeting held June 1, 1790.

A futile suit brought by the Franklin Heirs in 1891 prevented the
division of the fund at the expiration of one hundred years; but on
January 17, 1894, by direction of the three ministers and the Board of
Aldermen of the City, which board claimed to be the successors of the
"Selectmen", $329,300.48 (f fo of the fund) was paid to the City Treasurer,
for "the purchase of land and the erection thereon of the Franklin In-
stitute of Boston and for the equipment of the same." Owing to a series of
complications the money remained in the custody of the Treasurer.
Mayor Collins, in 1902, caused a petition of the City to be filed in the
Supreme Judicial Court, praying for instructions as to the authority of
the persons then acting as Managers of the fund. The Court rendered
an opinion November 25, 1903 (184 Mass 373) to the effect that the
three ministers were Managers of the fund under Franklin's will, but
that the Aldermen did not succeed the "Selectmen" as Managers and
had no powers with reference to it. The Court, under its general power
to care for pubUc charitable funds, appointed, on March 16, 1904, nine
Managers to take the place of the "Selectmen" and provided in the
decree of the Court, that the Mayor of Boston should be one, ex officio.
Successors to the other eight are appointed by the Court. In 1908 the
Franklin Fund Managers were incorporated as The Franklin Foundation by
the special act already referred to which was clarified by amendments
in 1927 and 1953. In 1931 the Court held the incorporation to be con-
stitutional, since it did not change the composition or duties with respect
to the Franklin Fund of the Board of Managers, and answered various


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 16

Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1963) → online text (page 11 of 16)