Boston (Mass.).

Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1963) online

. (page 12 of 16)
Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1963) → online text (page 12 of 16)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


questions which had been raised (276 Mass. 649).

On December 2, 1905, the City Treasurer received from Mr. Andrew
Carnegie $408,396.48, said sum being equal to the amount of the ex-
pendable portion of the Franklin Fund in August, 1904, which Mr,
Carnegie agreed to duplicate. Only the annual income from this fund
has been used.

On November 17, 1927, $100,000 was received by the Foundation from
the estate of the late James J. Storrow, the income to be used for main-
tenance of Franklin Institute of Boston.

In 1906 the City appropriated $100,000, raised by a 20-year loan, to
purchase a building site of about 16,000 square feet at the corner of
Appleton and Berkeley Streets. On January 31, 1907, the amount avail-
able to be "laid out" by the Managers was $438,741.98 and in that year
the Franklin Union Building was erected and equipped at a cost of
$438,528.80. It was opened in September, 1908, as a Technical Institute
to train young men and women for positions of supervision in industry.
In 1941 the name was legally changed to Frankfin Technical Institute.



GEORGE ROBERT WHITE FUND 121

In 1957, the Board of Collegiate Authority of the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts voted to confirm the action of the Members of the Franklin
Foundation to confer the Degree of Associate in Engineering upon qualified
graduates of the Institute.

In 1961, the name of the school was again changed to Franklin Institute
of Boston. It is maintained partly by tuition fees ($410,535 for the fiscal
year 1962), and income from the previously mentioned funds (i.e., the
Andrew Carnegie donation and the Storrow bequest). Educational
programs are offered which are accredited by the Engineers' Council
for Professional Development. The Franklin Union Building contains
11 classrooms, 4 drafting rooms, 2 shops and 8 laboratories. There is
also an auditorium with a seating capacity of 927.

A second building, acquired in 1960 at 4 Appleton Street, contains 4
classrooms, 2 laboratories, 1 shop and 2 ofiices. Eight hundred (800)
adult students received instruction at evening sessions and 500 in day
courses during the school year of 1962.

The FrankUn Fund (Second Part) will become available in 1991.



GEORGE ROBERT WHITE FUND



Office, 36 City Hall
Trustees, 1963

John F. Collins, Mayor, Chairman

Peter F. Hines, President, Boston City Council

John T. Leonard, Temporary City Auditor, Secretary

Earl P. Stevenson, President, Boston Chamber of Commerce

Chester C. Steadman, President, Bar Association of the City of ^Boston

James J. Walsh, Manager
Thomas G. J. Shannon, Assistant Manager

The late George Robert White, who died in Boston, January 27, 1922,
left the residue of his estate to the City of Boston to be held as a per-
manent charitable trust fund, "the net income only to be used for creating
works of public utility and beauty, for the use and enjoyment of the
inhabitants of the City of Boston. "

The control and management of the fund is in the hands of a board of
five trustees, consisting of the Mayor as Chairman, the President of the
City Council, the City Auditor, the President of the Boston Chamber of
Commerce and the President of the Bar Association of the City of Boston,

At a meeting of the Trustees held on Tuesday, April 5, 1938, it was
imanimously voted that the services of a paid Manager be engaged. In
accordance with this vote the custody, care, control and management of
all real estate constituting a part of the George Robert White Fund is
now in the hands of a Manager; all legal matters are attended to by the
Corporation Counsel; all financial disbursements and investments are
in the hands of the Collector-Treasurer; all collections and receipts are



122 MUNICIPAL REGISTEB

handled by the Collector-Treasurer; and the examination of aU bills and
demands rendered against the Fund, together with the approval of all
expenditures and the auditing of all accounts, rests with the City Auditor.

Health Units have been provided at Baldwin Place and North Margin
Street in the North End, at Paris and Emmons Streets, East Boston, at
Dorchester and West Fourth Streets, South Boston, at Blue Hill Avenue
and Savin Street, Roxbury, at High and Elm Streets, Charlestown, at
Blossom and Parkman Streets, West End, at Whittier and Hampshire
Streets, Roxbury, at Central Avenue, Hyde Park, and at Blue Hill Avenue
and Harvard Street, Dorchester, in the hope of being able, by proper
instruction, to better the living and health conditions of the communities
in the congested districts.

A Prado has been established at Hanover and Unity streets in the
North End, to provide an open air space for the residents of the North
End. In 1935, the Trustees voted to change the name of the Prado to
Paul Revere Mall.

In the spring of 1936 the Trustees voted to establish a wading pool
and locker building in the yard in the rear of the Whittier Street Health
Unit, Roxbury. The wading pool and locker building have since been in
full operation for the use and enjoyment of the inhabitants of the City.

In the summer of 1936 the Trustees voted to have thirteen memorial
bronze tablets fabricated and placed in the walls of the Paul Revere MaU
in the North End. The inscriptions to be placed on these tablets in-
volved considerable research work and as a consequence these tablets
were not completed until the summer of 1940. This was done as an im-
provement to the Mall.

On January 27, 1940, the Trustees voted to purchase an equestrian
statute of Paul Revere — made by Cyrus E. Dallin, sculptor — to be
placed in the Paul Revere Mall in the North End, as an addition and
further improvement in accordance with provision of the will.

On September 22, 1940, the Trustees dedicated the thirteen bronze
tablets and the statute of Paul Revere at the Paul Revere Mall in the
North End.

In the summer of 1941 the Trustees voted to establish a number of
play spaces, fully equipped, in various sections of the City from the
Income of the Fund, for the use and enjoyment of children under 12 years
of age. It was voted to establish the first four play spaces at the following
locations:

Pitts and Hale Streets, in the West End
London and Decatur Streets, in East Boston
Troy and Rochester Streets, in the South End
King and Roxbury Streets, in Roxbury

This chain of play spaces consists of the most modern architecture:
wading pools, play-yard equipment, concrete seats, concrete sandboxes
etc., and is a great asset to the City.



BOSTON HOUSING AUTHORITY



123



Starting in the spring of 1946 and ending in the fall of 1949 the Trustees
of the Fund voted to establish the following projects from the Income of
the Fund:

Health Unit at Central avenue and Elm street, Hyde Park
Health Unit at Blue Hill avenue and Harvard street, Dorchester
Swimming Pool, Diving Pool and Locker Building, Doherty Heights,

Charlestown
Schoolboy Stadium in Franklin Park
War Memorial Center in the Fens
Swimming Pool, Diving Pool and Locker Building, Commercial

street, North End Park
War Memorial, Veterans Section, Mt. Hope Cemetery



BOSTON HOUSING AUTHORITY



Office, 230 Congress Street

IGen. Laws, Chap. 121, Sees. 26 I to 26 WW, shall be known, and may be

cited, as the Housing Authority Law.]

Appointed by Mayor and City Council

Edward D. Hassan, Chairman Term ends in 1968

Jacob I. Brier, Vice Chairman Term ends in 1967

Victor C. Bynoe, Treasurer Term ends in 1965

Charles H. Savage, Assistant Treasurer ond Term ends in 1966
Assistant Secretary



Appointed by the Chairman of the State Housing Board
Cornelius T. Kiley, Secretary Term ends in 1964

The Boston Housing Authority, established in accordance with the
Housing Authority Law of the Commonwealth, consists of five members,
who may be compensated at the rate of $50 per day for the Chairman,
and $40 per day for a member other than the Chairman. As the terms
of the members expire, successors are appointed by the same appointive
power for terms of five years.

The Authority is charged with investigation to determine the un-
sanitary and sub-standard housing conditions existing within its juris-
diction which cannot readily be remedied by private enterprise, and the
clearance, replanning and reconstruction of such areas. With the approval
of the State Housing Board and the Mayor, it is empowered to enter
into agreement with any agency of Government for assistance, financial
or otherwise, to remedy such substandard conditions.



124 MUNICIPAL REGISTER

Federally-aided Developments

Fifteen Federally-aided developments consisting of 10,156 units in the
City are now operated byfthe Authority for the housing of low-income
families, preference being given to veterans and servicemen. The de-
velopment in the Bay View section which was constructed by the Au-
thority was subsequently sold to the federal government to house war
workers. It was operated by the Authority, under lease from the Federal
government, and tenancy was later restricted to veterans and servicemen
with families. On December 31, 1956 title was given to the Authority
with the development to be used to house low-income families.

Old Harbor Village, South Boston, the only development built and
owned by the Federal government, was leased to the Authority to house
low-income families on May 1, 1938. On December 31, 1958 title to it was
given to the Authority.

State-Aided Developments

The basic Housing Authority Law was amended in 1948 by Chapter 200.
This legislation provided for State aid to local authorities in building homes
for veterans' famiUes of low income by means of State guarantee of the
principal and interest on local housing authority notes or bonds issued for
this purpose and annual subsidy by the State not to exceed two and one-
half per cent of total development costs, for 40 years. Veterans of World
War II, and other veterans with families of low income, receive preference
in this program in that order.

Under this legislation, 3,681 dwelling units have been built and occupied
in ten developments.

Planning and Developing

Local housing authorities are now empowered to buUd housing for
elderly persons of low-income. Under the Federally-aided program, six
developments specifically designed for occupancy by the elderly, ranging
in size from 44 to 96 apartments, are under construction. Under the
State-aided program for the elderly, an 80-apartment development has
been completed.

With the approval of the Mayor and the City Council, the Authority
is planning 1,000 additional apartments, mostly for the elderly, under
the Federally-aided program, with occupancy scheduled for 1963. Under
the State-aided elderly program, 280 more apartments are in the pre-
liminary planning stage.



BOSTON ^DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY



Office, 73 Tremont Street
[Gen. Laws, Chap. 121, as amended.]
Appointed by Mayor and City Council
Rt. Rev. Francis J. Lally, Chairman Term ends in 1966.

Stephen E. McCloskey, Vice Chairman Term ends in 1963.

James G. Colbert, Treasurer Term ends in 1964.

John P. Ryan, Member Term ends in 1967.



BOSTON REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY 125

Appointed by Massachusetts State Housing Board

Melvin J. Massucco, Assistant Treasurer Term ends in 1965.

Edward J. Logue, Development Administrator
Kane Simonian, Secretary and Executive Director

The Boston Redevelopment Authority, established in accordance with
Gen. Laws, Chap. 121, as amended by Chap. 150, Acts of 1957, has the
sole responsibility for urban renewal projects in the City of Boston.

The Authority was organized in September 1957 and received its cer-
tificate of organization from the Secretary of the Commonwealth on
October 4, 1957.

Under the provisions of the Housing Act of 1949, as amended, the Fed-
eral Housing and Home Finance Agency is authorized to enter into con-
tracts with local redevelopment authorities to finance slum clearance and
urban renewal projects. Two thirds of the net project costs of an urban
renewal project may be obtained from the Federal Government, the re-
maining one third must be provided by the local government.

Recent amendments to Chapter 121 of the General Laws provide
authority for local communities to carry out urban renewal without Fed-
eral aid.

Under Chapter 652, Acts of 1960, the City Planning Board was abolished
and all its staff transferred to the Authority, and the functions, duties
and responsibilities for general city planning assumed by the Authority.

The Authority is presently engaged in a series of projects in various
stages of planning and execution. A brief description of each project
is detailed below:

New York Streets Project, UR Mass. 2-1. All land acquisition, relocation
of families, demolition, grading and site improvement work completed.
The cleared land was sold in 1957 to the Cerel-Druker Redevelopment
Corporation. Five new buildings have been erected on the site for the
Boston Herald-Traveler Corp., Graybar Electric Co., Westinghouse Elec-
tric Co., and Transit Insurance Co. Over 80 per cent of the land has
been developed in the past three years.

West End Project, UR Mass. 2-S. Charles River Park, Inc., the prin-
cipal redevelopers of the area, substantially completed the first group of
new apartment buildings on this site and initial occupancy started in
January, 1962. The redevelopers took delivery of the second parcel of
project land in September, 1961, and construction of another complex of
new buildings is scheduled to start in 1962. The Retina Foundation, an
institution devoted to research and investigative work on the human eye,
plans to open a new building located on Staniford Street in the project
area, in May, 1962. The Boston Public Library has plans for a new
branch facility to be located on Cambridge Street on which construction
is to start in 1962.

Whitney Redevelopment Area. The Authority acquired all land in this
7J-acre site in the Roxbury district July, 1960. All relocation and demo-



126 MUNICIPAL REGISTER

lition was completed in 1961. The Beacon Redevelopment Corporation
took delivery of 92,000 square feet of land in September, 1961, and started
construction of a 23-story apartment building to contain 277 dwelling
units. This structure is scheduled for completion in 1963. It is being
developed under Chapter 121A of the General Laws, the so-called limited
dividend statute, designed to encourage the construction of housing for
middle income families. Present plans call for the remaining two parcels,
each of about 92,000 square feet to be developed for moderate income
housing by other real estate and building firms.

Government Center Project, Mass. R-S5. The Authority entered into a
temporary Loan Contract for Early Land Acquisition in the amount of
$21,260,470 on this project in October, 1961, with the Federal Govern-
ment. On October 25, 1961, the Authority acquired all land in the proj-
ect area by eminent domain, filing an "Order of Taking" in the Suffolk
Registry of Deeds. Relocation of the 450 families and 827 business firms
in the area started immediately and will continue over the next three
years. The Authority established a Site Office at 30 Hawkins street to
handle the relocation, property management and to process relocation
payment claims. Demolition began in February, 1962, to provide cleared
land for the construction of a new Federal office building, a new City Hall,
a complex of buildings for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, new
private office and commercial buildings. A redevelopment plan for the
area will be presented to the Mayor and City Council early in 1963 for
approval.

Washington Park. The original survey and planning advance contract
for this project has been amended to extend the area from 188 to 472
acres and increase the planning advance from $143,461 to $298,291. This
project is scheduled to be Boston's first major effort at rehabilitation and
conservation under the provisions of the U. S. Housing Act of 1949, aa
amended. Final plas were ready late in 1962 and that project put into
execution. The Authority has received excellent cooperation and whole-
hearted support of many civic and neighborhood groups in the Roxbury
district on this undertakine.

Castle Square. The Authority entered into a temporary loan contract
for Early Land Acquisition on the Castle Square Project, Mass. R-56L
in the amount of $5,532,763.00, in December, 1962 with the Federal
Government. On December 19, 1962 the Authority took title to the
Castle Square area and relocation of families and businesses has been in
operation since then. The Authority has established a site office in the
Castle Square project to handle the relocation property management and
process relocation payment claims. Demolition is expected to start in
the summer of 1963, to provide cleared land for relocation housing and
for commercial buildings.

North Harvard Project. The North Harvard Street Urban Renewal
Area is a 6| net acre project located in Brighton near present holdings of
Harvard University.



BOSTON REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY 127

In 1962 an Urban Renewal Plan and accompanying Application for
Federal assistance was prepared, approved by the Authority and the
City Council and submitted to the Federal Government for review and
approval.

The area will be developed under the provisions of Chapter 121 A of
the Massachusetts General Laws. The proposed ten-story structure will
contain 280 apartment units with rents ranging from $75 to $275 per
month.

Besides eliminating a badly deteriorated area where housing surveys
indicated over 50 per cent of the structures to be sub-standard, the de-
velopment will increase the present tax yield to the city approximately
ten times.

Matta-pan Project. For some ten years the City of Boston has con-
sidered the development of a tract of largely vacant land off Cummins
Highway and Livermore Street in the Mattapan district. The present
42|-acre urban renewal area contains but twenty-four families.

In 1962 the Authority supported a proposal for the construction of
two-story structures housing some 400 garden-type apartments to rent
or $115 to $150.

Throughtout 1962 planning proceeded at an accelerated pace. Ample
open space was provided in the plan; good landscaping was insured; and a
5i-acre public park was set aside. The Boston School Committee agreed
to construct a school in the area nearby and an expenditure of approxi-
mately $750,000 was designated for street and utility improvements.

Following a public hearing in the fall of 1962, the Authority approved
the Urban Renewal Plan. The proposal is now pending in the City
Council.

Prudential Center. In 1961 the Prudential Insurance Company
submitted an amended application to the Authority to undertake the
development of the so-called Prudential Center in the Back Bay under
the provisions of Chapter 121 A, General Laws, as amended. Following
the Authority's approval of the Prudential application, a declaratory
judgement was sought and the Supreme Judicial Court upheld the Au-
thority's action. Prudential resumed construction of the project in 1962.

The following table indicates estimated federal capital grant require-
ments to Boston as of June 1, 1962.



128



MUNICIPAL REGISTER



FEDERAL CAPITAL GRANT REQUIREMENTS, June 1, 1962

Capital Grant

Project Requirement

New York Streets (1) $3,200,033

West End (1) 10,883,075

Government Center (2) 25,800,000

Washington Park (3) 15,418,000

South End (4) 24,692,800

Charlestown (5) 9,828,000

Downtown (6) 10,000,000

Parker HiU-Fenway (7) 2,642,000

Back Bay (7) 558,653

South Boston (7) 5,554,000

East Boston (7) 3,690,000

Jamaica Plain (7) 4,180,000

North Harvard (8) 290,025

Waterfront 17,334,000



Total estimated capital grant require-
ments as of June 1, 1962 .



$134,070,586



AUDITORIUM COMMISSION



129



AUDITORIUM COMMISSION



44 School Street
[Stat. 1954, Chap. 164; Ord. 1957, Chap. 2.]

OFFICIALS

William D. Ireland, Chairman
Joseph R. Hynes, Executive Secretary



THE BOARD



Members


Nominated by-


Term ending


Robert C. Nordblom

Donald B. Stanbro


Greater Boston Real Estate Board

City of Boston Hotel Association


May 1, 1966
May 1, 1962


Frank R. Kelley.


Mayor's Selection


May 1, 1963


William H. Ohrenberger . .
William D. Ireland


Mayor's Selection


May 1, 1964


Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce


May 1, 1965



The Board is known as the Auditorium Commission and consists of
five officers known as Auditorium Commissioners, who shall be residents
of the City of Boston and appointed by the Mayor as follows: One com-
missioner from three candidates nominated by the City of Boston Hotel
Association, one commissioner from three candidates nominated by the
Boston Real Estate Board, one commissioner from three candidates
nominated by the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, and two com-
missioners selected at large by the Mayor. As the term of any com-
missioner expires, his successor shall be appointed in like manner as
such commissioner for a term of five years. Vacancies in the board shall
be filled in the same manner for the unexpired term. The commissioners
serve without compensation but are to be reimbursed for their traveling
and other necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.

The commission shall construct, or cause to be constructed, the munici-
pal auditorium authorized by chapter 164 of the acts of 1954, with an
exhibition hall, assembly hall and accessory rooms suitable for exhibitions,
conventions and other shows and gatherings in the city; shall contract
for the care and management thereof after its completion; and for such
purposes may, subject to the approval of the mayor, make such contracts
and employ such experts, assistants and employees as they may think
necessary or expedient.



130



MUNICIPAL REGISTER



GOVERNMENT CENTER COMMISSION



Room 50, City Hall
[Stat. 1958, Chap. 624, Stat. 1959, Chaps. 403, 577.

OFFICIALS

Robert M. Morgan, Chairman
M. Murray Weiss, Vice Chairman
John E. Deady, Secretary
THE BOARD



Members



Nominated by



Term ending]



Robert M. Morgan . . .
M. Murray Weiss

John E. Deady

Frank W. Crimp

Henry A. Scagnoli . . . .
John P. McMorrow . . .

James W. Haley



Mayor's selection

Associated General Contractors of Massachu-
setts, Inc.

Building Trades CouncU of Boston and

Vicinity.
The Boston Society of Architects

Director of Administrative Services, ex officio..

Appointed by Mayor. See Stat. 1960, Chap.

652, Sec. 12

Commissioner of Public Works, ex officio ....



at pleasure
of Mayor



* Until the completion of the construction of a new city hall

Until the completion of the construction of a new city haU, there shall
be in the city a board, known as the Government Center Commission
consisting of the Director of Administrative Services of the City, and the
Commissioner of PubUc Works of the City, ex officiis, one member ap-
pointed by the Mayor to serve at his pleasure, pursuant to Stat. 1960,
Chap. 652, Sect. 12, and four other members appointed by the Mayor
of the City, as follows: one from three candidates nominated by the
Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts, Inc., one from three
candidates nominated by the Building Trades Council of Boston and
Vicinity, one from three candidates nominated by the Boston Society of
Architects, and one selected at large by the Mayor, Any vacancy in the
office of any appointive member shall be filled in the same manner as the
original appointment.

The member appointed by the Mayor upon selection at large shall be
Chairman of the Government Center Commission. Said Commission
shall elect one of its members as vice chairman, and shall also elect a
secretary, who need not be a member of the Commission. The members
of the Government Center Commission shall serve without compensation
but shall be reimbursed for their traveUng and other necessary expenses
incurred in the performance of their duties.



CITY OF BOSTON EMPLOYEES CREDIT UNION



131



The Government Center Commission shall have the power and duty to
acquire in the name and behalf of the City by purchase or gift from the
Boston Redevelopment Authority or otherwise or to request the Public
Improvement Commission of the City to so acquire by eminent domain
under G. L. Chapter 79 or Chapter 80A from said authority or otherwise,
a suitable site for a new city hall for the City, and in acquiring the whole
or any part of such site from said authority, to assume in the name of the
City any and all obUgations imposed by or under the aforesaid section
26 LL. Subject to the provisions of sections 44A to 44L, inclusive, of


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 14 15 16

Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1963) → online text (page 12 of 16)