Boston (Mass.).

Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1915) online

. (page 8 of 37)
Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1915) → online text (page 8 of 37)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Algonquin Square, Algonquin and Bradlee streets .... 1,728
City Nm-sery Groimds and Greenhouses, Massachusetts avenue

and East Cottage street . . 102,531

Dorchester Square, Meeting House Hill 56,200

Drohan Square, Edison green 10,241

Eaton Square, Adams and Bowdoin streets 13,280

Mt. Bowdoin Green, top of Mt. Bowdoin 25,170

Peabody Square, Ashmont street and Dorchester avenue . . 1,963

Public Ground, junction of Adams and Codman streets . . 700



74 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

Square Feet.

Public Ground, Florida street, King to Ashmont streets . . 6,090

Public Ground, Magnolia street 3,605

Richardson Square, between Pond and Cottage streets . . 45,982

Spaulding Square, junction of Freeport st. and Neponset ave. . 6,263
Tremlett Square, Tremlett street, between Hooper and Waldeck

streets, 7,107

Wellesley Park, Wellesley Park street 28,971



EAST BOSTON.

Belmont Square, Webster, Sumner, Lamson and Seaver streets
Central Square, Meridian and Border streets ....
Maverick Square, Sumner and Maverick streets
Prescott Square, Trenton, Eagle and Prescott streets .
Putnam Square, Putnam, White and Trenton streets .



30,000

40,310

4,396

12,284
11,628



HYDE PARK.

Camp Meigs, Readville

Green, junction of Beacon street and Metropolitan avenue . .
Green, junction of Milton avenue and Highland street
Green, junction of Williams avenue and Prospect street
Greenwood Square, junction of Thatcher st. and Central ave.
Webster Square, junction of Webster street and Central avenue,
Wolcott Square, Readville



122,404
220
220
700
220
220
220



SOUTH BOSTON.



Independence Square, Broadway, Second, M and N streets . 283,140
Lincoln Square, Emerson, Fourth and M streets .... 9,510
Thomas Park, Telegraph Hill 190,000



WEST ROXBXJRY.

Carruth Square, South Conway, South Fairview and Robert sts., 750

Centre Square, Centre and Perkins streets 3,200

Mt. Bellevue, public ground, water tower at summit . . . 27,772

Oakview Terrace, off Centre street 5,287

Soldiers' Monument Lot, South and Centre streets, Jamaica Plain, 5,870
Total area of Public Grounds, etc., 2,813,586 square feet, or 64.59 acres.



RE CAPITULATION .

Parks and Parkways: Acres.

Main Park System 1,307.35

Marine Park System 437.90

Miscellaneous Parks 428.95

Playgrounds (separate) 308.03

Pubhc Grounds, Squares, etc 64.59

Grand total (Acres) 2,546.82



PARK AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT. 75

Bridges Located in Parks and Parkways.

PUBLIC garden.
Foot-bridge, over pond.

THE FENS.

Agassiz, carrying Agassiz road over the Fens water.

BoYLSTON, over outlet of the Fens.

Charlesgate, over Boston & Albany Railroad and Ipswich street.

Commonwealth avenue, over outlet of the Fens,

Fens, over outlet of Muddy river.

RIVERWAY.

Audubon, over Newton circuit of Boston & Albany Railroad.

*Bellevue, over Muddy river from Bellevue street.

Bridle Path, carrying the ride over Muddy river, near Audubon road.

*Brookline avenue, over Muddy river.

*Berners street foot-bridge, over Muddy river.

*IIuNTiNGTON AVENUE, over outlet of Leverett pond.

*Longwood, carrying Longwood avenue over Muddy river.

OLMSTED PARK.

FooT-BRiDGES at Leverett pond and over outlets of Willow pond and
Ward's pond.

FRANKLIN PARK.

Ellicott arch, carrying Circuit drive over walk at EUicottdale.
Forest Hills, carrying entrance to Franklin Park over traffic road.
Overlook arch, over entrance to Overlook Shelter.
ScARBORo', carrying Circuit drive over Scarboro' pond.
ScARBORo' POND FOOT-BRIDGE, Carrying the walk over Scarboro' pond.

COLUMBIA ROAD.

Columbia road, over Old Colony avenue and Plymouth division of New

York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad.
Columbia road, over Shoreham street.

marine park.
Castle Island, South Boston to Castle Island.

WOOD island park.
Neptune, carrying Neptune road over Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn

Railroad.
Foot-bridge, from Prescott street over Boston, Revere Beach & Lynn

Railroad.

* The Park and Recreation Department maintains such parts of these bridges as are
located within the City limits.



76



MUNICIPAL REGISTER.



Statues Belonging to City, Located in Parks and Public Grounds.



Name.


Location.


Year
Erected.


Artist.


Samuel Adams


Adams Square


1880


Anne Whitney.






1899




Leif Ericsson


Commonwealth Avenue ....


1886


Anne Whitney.




Edward Everett Square,


1867
1893






William W. Story.


Admiral David G. Farragut. .


Marine Park, South Boston,


Henry H. Kitson.






1856




William Lloyd Garrison


Commonwealth Avenue ....


18S6


Olin L. Warner.


General John Glover


Commonwealth Avenue ....


1875


Martin Milmore.


Edward Everett Hale


Public Garden


1913


Bela L. Pratt.




Commonwealth Avenue


1865
1915


William Rimmer.


Wendell Phillips






1879


Thomas Ball.






1878
1904


Thomas Ball.


General Joseph Warren


Warren Square, Roxbury. . .


Paul W. Bartlett.


George Washington *




1869


Thomas Ball.


Scollay Square (originally) ,t


1880


Richard S. Greenough.







* Equestrian statue.

t Location changed in 1903 to First Church Grounds, Marlborough street.



Monuments and Memorials Belonging to

Grounds.



City, Located on Public



Name or Designation.



Location.



Year
Erected.



Artist or Architect.



Blackstone Memorial Tablet..

Crispus Attucks and Other
Patriots of 1770

William Ellery Channing ....

Patrick A. Collins Memorial. .

Dorchester Heights (Revolu-
tionary)

Ether Memorial

Abraham Lincoln and Eman-
cipation



East corner of Common . . . .

Boston Common

Public Garden

Commonwealth Avenue . . .

Telegraph Hill, South Boston
Public Garden

Park Square



1914

1888
1903

1908

1902

1867

1879



R. Clipston Sturgis.

Robert Kraus.

Herbert Adams.

f Henry H. Kitson.
\T. Alice Kitson.

Peabody & Stearns.
John Q. A. Ward.

Thomas Ball.



PARK AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT.



77



MONUMENTS AND MEMORIALS BELONGING TO THE CITY.— Concluded.



Name or Designation.



Location.



Year.
Erected.



Artist or Architect.



.John Boyle O'Reilly

Francis Parkman Memorial . .

Colonel Robert Gould Shaw
and 54th Massachusetts
Regiment

Soldiers' and Sailors' Monu-
ment

Soldiers' Monument, Charles-
town

Soldiers' Monument, Dor-
chester

Soldiers' Monument, Jamaica
Plain



Back Bay Park

Olmsted Park, JamaicaPlain,

[Boston Common, facing
I State House

Boston Common

Winthrop Square

Meeting House Hill

Centre and South Street



1896
1906

1897

1877
1872
1867
1871



Daniel C. French.
Daniel C. French.

Augustus Saint Gaudens
[McKim, Mead & White.

Martin Milmore.
Martin Milmore.
B. F. D wight.
W. W. Lummis.



Fountains Belonging to City, Located on Public Grounds.
Brewer Fountain, Boston Common; Coppenhagen Fountain, Edward
Everett square; Johnson Memorial Fountain and Gateway, entrance
to Back Bay Park, Westland Avenue; "Maid of the Mist" and three
other fountains, PubUc Garden; one fountain each on Blaclcstone,
Frankhn, Central, Independence and Sullivan Squares, Meeting House
Hill, Thomas Park, Madison Park, Union Park and Massachusetts
Avenue; Lyman fountain, Eaton Square.

Since the City's park development began, in 1877, the total expenditure,
to the close of 1914, for parks, parkways and playgrounds (exclusive of
the annual maintenance appropriation) is $20,732,700, or $9,181,545
for the land and $11,551,155 for construction.

The Arnold Arboretum (the "tree museum" of Harvard University),
containing originally 122.6 acres, was added with other lands, in 1882,
to the City's park system, under a special contract with Harvard Uni-
versity, and in 1895 another tract of 75 acres (Peters' Hill), also belonging
to the University, was included, the name Bussey Park being added to
the title. All the land in these tracts not required for driveways and walks,
a quarry reservation and traffic road is used, under the trusts created by
the wills of Benjamin Bussey and James Arnold, for Harvard's extensive
collection of specimens of such trees and shrubs as wUl live in this climate.
The City maintains the roads and walks, also attends to policing the
grounds. The arboretum is open to visitors daily from 7 A.M. until sunset.

The new Franklin Park Zoological Garden on the northern side of the park
is designed to occupy sixty to eighty acres when completed. Up to Feb-
ruary 1, 1915, the amount expended for construction, etc., was $296,254,
and for animals $11,990. In the summer of 1912, the group of bear dens,



78 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.

the aquatic flying cage, etc., were finished and put on exhibition, in 1913
the bird house with other attractions and in 1914 the elephant house
were added. The new Marine Park Aquarium, costing $144,530 for con-
struction, etc., was opened to the pubhc on November 28, 1912. The
entire outlay for both has been appropriated from the George F. Parkman
Fund income.

GEORGE F. PARKMAN FUND.

By the will of the late George F. Parkman, various real estate properties
worth between $5,000,000 and $6,000,000 were left to the City, the income
therefrom to be expended for the maintenance and improvement of the
Common and such parks as were in existence January 12, 1887, and no
part of it to be used for the purchase of additional land for park purposes.
The bequest was accepted by the City Council, March 9, 1909, since which
date most of the realty has been sold and the proceeds invested in munic-
ipal and other bonds. On February 1, 1915, the piincipal of the fund in
the custody of the City Treasurer amounted to $4,953,176. In the fiscal
year, 1914-15, the income from the fund was $195,525, i. e., about four

per cent.

Public Baths and Gymnasia.

main bath houses, open all the year.

Cabot Street. — 203 Cabot street, Roxbury. Brick building, con-
taining 45 shower baths, a swimming pool, 75 by 25 feet, and a gymnasium.
Opened to the public in September, 1905. Total cost of building, $108,690.

Charlestown. — Corner Bunker Hill and Lexington streets. Brick
building (old City building remodeled), containing 28 shower baths and
a gymnasium. Opened to the public in March, 1913. Total cost,
$49,000, approximately.

Dover Street. — 249 Dover street. Brick building, containing 33
shower baths for men and 17 for women, also tub baths. No gymnasium.
It includes a laundry where all the towels and part of the bathing suits
used in the department are laundered. Opened to the pubhc in October,
1898. Total cost (including $14,154 for land), $88,267.

North Bennet Street. — North End. Brick building, containing
65 shower baths, 400 lockers and a gymnasium. Opened to the public
in April, 1909. Total cost (including $36,800 for land), $136,186.

baths and gymnasia in other city buildings, open all the year.

Charlesbank. — Charles street. West End, .two houses (^. e., for men
and women), 12 shower baths in each; outdoor gymnasium.

East Boston Gymnasium.* — 116 Paris street, 74 shower baths.

Municipal Building. — Corner Columbia road and Bird street,
Dorchester, 26 shower baths and a swimming pool.

Municipal Building.^ South street, near Sedgwick street, Jamaica
Plain, 19 shower baths and a swimming pool, 75 by 24 feet.

* On the site of the new East Boston Gymnasium was located the first indoor munic-
ipal gymnasium in the United States, so far as known. It was opened to the public in
1897.



PARK AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT. 79

South Boston Gymnasium. — D street, 14 shower baths.

Municipal Building. — Broadway, South Boston, 65 shower baths,
i. e., 40 for men's section, 23 for women's, and two extension showers for
boys.

Municipal Building. — Tyler street, South End, 40 shower baths.

Under Construction, gymnasium and shower baths, Blossom street,
West End.

Ward 9 Gymnasium. — 642 Harrison avenue, South End, 13 shower
baths.

In the calendar year, 1914, the total number of baths taken in the
thirteen indoor bathing places which were open all that year was 1,207,317,
of which 76.7 per cent were by men and boys.

BEACH BATHS.

Dewey. — Medford street, Charlestown, three houses, for men, women
and children.

Freeport Street. — Dorchester, two houses, for men and women.

K Street. — South Boston, for women.

L Street.* — South Boston, for men and boys.

McKenzie. — Columbia road, two houses, for men and women.

North End Park. — Commercial street, two houses, for men and
women. A laundry connected with these bath-houses launders part of
the bathing suits used in the department during the summer bathing
season.

Savin Hill. — Dorchester, two houses, for men and women.

Tenean. — Neponset, two houses, for men and women.

Wood Island Park. — East Boston, two houses, for men and women,
and one house for boys.

FLOATING BATHS.

Border Street. — East Boston, two houses, for men and women.
Charlesbank. — West End, two houses, for men and women.
Dover Street Bridge. — South End, two houses, for men and women.
Fort Point Channel. — South End, one house.

Jeffries Point. — East Boston, one house, for men and women, at
different hours.

Mystic Bridge. — Charlestown, one house.

Warren Bridge. — Charlestown, two houses, for men and women.

OUTDOOR swimming POOLS.

Charles River. — Spring street. West Roxbury, two houses, for men
and women, with open-air pool.

Orchard Park. — Chadwick and Yeoman streets, Roxbury, two
houses, for men and women, with concrete open-air pool, 80 by 30 feet.

* The L street seaside bath, opened in 1866, was the first municipal bath established
in the United States, so far as known.



80 MUNICIPAL REGISTER.



PENAL INSTITUTIONS DEPARTMENT.

Office, 811 City Hall Annex, eighth floor.
[Stat. 1857, Chap. 35; Stat. 1889, Chap. 245; Stat. 1895, Chap. 449;
§§14-16; Stat. 1897, Chap. 395, §5; Rev. Ord. 1898, Chap. 30,
C. C, Title IV., Chap. 26; Stat. 1910, Chap. 307; Stat. 1911;
Chap. 673; Rev. Ord. 1914, Chap. 25.]

David B. Shaw, Penal Institutions Commissioner. Term ends in 1918.

Salary, $5,000. •
George H. Sheehan, Assistant Commissioner. Salary, S2,500.
Carleton L. Brett, Master, House of Correction. Salary, $2,500..

From 1857 to 1885 the public institutions were in charge of a Board of
Directors, twelve in number; from 1885 to 1889, in charge of a board
consisting of nine members; from 1889 to 1895, in charge of the Board
of Commissioners of Public Institutions, three in number. By Chapter
449 of the Acts of 1895, the institutions were placed under the charge of
one commissioner, known as the Institutions Commissioner. By Chapters
395 and 451 of the Acts of 1897, the control of the institutions was divided;
the Penal Institutions Commissioner to have the care of the Penal Insti-
tutions Department and separate Boards of Trustees being appointed
for the Children's Institutions, the Pauper Institutions and the Insane
Hospital. In 1908 the name of the Pauper Institutions Department was
changed to the Infirmary Department, and the State took over the Insane
Hospital.

The Penal Institutions Department is under the control of a single
commissioner, who has charge of the House of Correction at Deer Island
He purchases all supplies required for that institution, and has charge of
the steamer "Monitor," which is used to transport passengers and freight
to Deer, Long and Rainsford Islands. The average number of men
prisoners in the House of Correction in 1914 was 983; of women, 103.



PRINTING DEPARTMENT.

Office, 251 Causeway street.

[Rev. Ord. 1898, Chap. 31; Ord. 1911, Chap. 2; Ord. 1914, Chap. 6; Rev.

Ord. 1914, Chap. 26.]

William J. Casey, Superintendent of Printing. Term ends in 1918.
Salary, $4,000.

The Superintendent of Printing has charge of all the printing and
binding for the municipal departments, supplies them with postage
stamps and attends to their requisitions for stationery.

The municipal printing plant was estabhshed in 1897. It has received
annually an appropriation for printing and binding the City Documents
ordered by the City Council, amounting in recent years to about $35,000.
During the past five years its efficiency has been largely increased; it now



PUBLIC BUILDINGS DEPARTMENT.



81



handles practically all of the extensive printing business of the City and
County departments, and ranks among the profitable public service
enterprises. In 1914 the plant was valued at $52,767.83, the average
number of employees was 98, and the output $178,550.08 in value.



PUBLIC BUILDINGS DEPARTMENT.

Office, 802 City Hall Annex, eighth floor.

[Stat. 1895, Chap. 449, §22; Rev. Ord. 1898, Chap. 32; Stat. 1913,
Chap. 263; Rev. Ord. 1914, Chap. 27.]

Richard A. Lynch, Superintendent of Public Buildings.

Term ends in 1918.
Frederick C. Ward, Chief Clerk. Salary, $2,200.



Salary, $3,600.



The ofl&ce of the Superintendent of Public Buildings was established
by ordinance on July 1, 1850, and annual reports have been published
by the Superintendent since 1851. He has the supervision of the care
and repair of all buildings belonging to or hired by the City, also the
furniture and fixtures contained therein; attends to the hiring of such
offices as are needed by departments which cannot be accommodated in
City buildings; provides suitable wardrooms for public meetings of voters
and purchases the necessary furniture, etc., for the public buildings.



CITY BUILDINGS IN CHARGE OF THIS DEPARTMENT.



Buildings, with Locations.



Occupied by, etc.



Ambulance Station, National st., South Boston.. .
Charity Building, 43 Hawkins street



Municipal Building, City square, Charlestown. . . .

City Building, Norfolk and Washington sts., Dor.,
City Building, Richmond and Washington sts., Dor.
City HaU, School street



City Hall Annex, Court street .



On leased land.

Overseeing of the Poor Department;
part occupied by Associated Chari-
ties (rent free).

Charlestown Branch of Municipal
Court and Police Station, 15th
Division.

Public Library Branch and Ward 24
wardroom.

Sub-police station and Public Library
Branch.

Mayor's office, City Council chamber
and oflBces, also ten City depart-
ments, etc.*

Seventeen City departments, etc.f



* Auditing, Treasury, Sinking Fund, City Clerk, City Planning Board, Children'a
Institutions, Infirmary, Institutions Registration, Soldiers' Relief, Statistics, and Permit
Office of Street Commissioners.

fArt, Assessing, Collecting, Election, Health, Building, Consumptives' Hospital, Ceme-
tery, Penal Institutions, Public Buildings, Public Works, Registry, Schoolhouse, Street
Laying-Out, Supply, Weights and Measures, Wire, also Business Agent and Schoolhouse
Custodian belonging to Department of School Committee.



82



MUNICIPAL REGISTER.



City Buildings in Charge of this Department. — Concluded.



Buildings, with Locations.



Occupied by, etc.



Cross street Schoolhouse (Old), Bunker Hill st.,
CharlestoTATi.

Curtis Hall (See Municipal Building, J. P.).

East Boston Court House and Police Station,
Meridian and Paris streets.



Faneuil Hall, Faneuil Hall square

Faneuil Hall Market House, N. and S. Market sts.,



Franklin Schoolhouse (Old), Washington street. . .
Fuel House, Main street, Charlestown



Jamaica Plain Library, South and Sedgwick sts . . .
Municipal Building, Jamaica Plain, South street. .
Municipal Building, Dorchester, Columbia road. .

Municipal Building, South Boston, E. Broadway. .

Municipal Bmlding, Ward 7, Oak and Tyler sts. . . .

Municipal Building, Ward 17, Vine and Dudley sts.

Old Armory Building, Maverick st., E. Boston. . .

Old Prov. State House, Washington and State sts.,

Old Winthrop Schoolhouse, Bunker Hill street,
Charlestown.

Repair Shop and Annex, Harrison avenue

Smith Schoolhouse, Joy street

Temporary Home for the Destitute, Chardon st. . .

Thomas Street Schoolhouse, Thomas street

Wayfarers' Lodge, 30 Hawkins street

11 Wareham street

Westerly Hall, Centre street. West Roxbury



Leased.



District Court and Police Station,
7th Division.

Market stalls, etc., under hall.

Quincy Hall and Produce Exchange,
second floor.

Ward 9 wardroom; part leased.

First floor, fuel storage for Fire Dept.;
second floor leased.

Public Library Branch.

Curtis Hall, baths and gymnasium.

Public Library Branch, wardroom,
baths and gymnasium.

Municipal Court and Public Library
Branch.

Public Library Branch, baths, gym-
nasium and wardroom.

Public Library Branch, baths, gym-
nasium and wardroom.

Wardroom; upper part leased.

Leased to Bostonian Society.

Reconstructed, with gymnasium,
baths and wardroom.

Leased.

Leased.

Overseeing of the Poor Department.

Leased.

Overseeing of the Poor Department.

Storeroom. >

Public Library Branch.



County Buildings.



Court House, Pemberton square

Jail, Charles street (three buildings).

Roxbury Court House, Roxbury street

Mortuary, Northern District, 18 North Grove st.



County offices and court rooms.



Municipal Court, Southern District;
part leased to G. A. R.



PUBLIC BUILDINGS DEPARTMENT.



83



In charge of this department also are the following City scales: North
scales, Haymarket square; South scales, City stables yard, Albany street;
Roxbury scales, Eustis and Mall streets; Jamaica Plain scales. Centre
street and Starr lane, and the City pound, located on Ashley avenue,
East Boston.



WARDROOMS IN CITY BUILDINGS. (Old Wards.')



DiSTBICT AND WaKD.


Name of Building


Location.


East Boston, Ward 1


No wardroom.




Ward 2


Old Armory Building ....


Maverick street.


Charlestown, Ward 3


Charlestown Gymnasium
Building.


Bunker Hill and Lexington sts.


Ward 4


Bunker Hill Schoolhouse. .


Baldwin street.


Wards


Harvard Schoolhouse ....


Devens street.




Faneuil Hall




Ward 7....


New Municipal Building. .


Oak and Tyler sts.


Ward 8....


No wardroom.




Ward 9....


Old Franklin Schoolhouse,


Washington street.


Ward 10....


Rice Schoolhouse


Appleton street.


Ward 11....


Prince Schoolhouse


Exeter street.


Ward 12....


No wardroom.




South Boston, Ward 13


Maynard Hall *


245 D street.


Ward 14


No wardroom.




Ward 15


Municipal Building


Broadway.


Roxbury, Ward 17.


New Municipal Building. .
No wardroom.

Old pumping station

No wardroom.
No wardroom.




Ward 18




Ward 19




Ward 21




Jamaica Plain, Ward 22




Dorchester, Ward 16


Municipal Building


Columbia road and Bird street.


Ward 20


Wardroom Building


Meeting House Hill.


Ward 24


City Building


Washington and Norfolk sts.


West Roxbury, Ward 23 . . .


Minton Hall f


Forest Hills square.


Brighton, Ward 25


Old Town Hall




Hyde Park, Ward 26


No wardroom.





* Hired for $300 per year. t Hired for $600 per year.

Note. — The boundaries of the Districts of Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, West Roxbury
and Dorchester vary somewhat from the outside boundaries of the wards above stated as
contained in them, but they include about the same territory. *



84



MUNICIPAL REGISTER.



ARMORIES IN CHARGE OF THIS DEPARTMENT.



Location.


Rent per Year.


Occupied by.




$4,800

City building.

1,350

1,650

1,700

300


Cos. A, B, C, D, First Corps of Cadets.


Engine House No. 4, Bulfinch st.,
25 Irvington street


Co. A, First Battalion of Cavalry.
Co. B, First Battalion of Cavalry,
Co. D, First Battalion of Cavalry.




Co. L, Sixth Mass. Regiment.


Officers' Clubhouse, Common-
wealth avenue, Brighton.


Second Brigade, Headquarters.



The Public Buildings Department has charge of the "Grounds for Target
Practice," viz., 53 acres in Woburn and 57 acres adjoining in Wilmington,
Mass., purchased in 1902 for S25,000, as directed by a loan order of the
City Council passed in 1901, for the use of militia companies belonging
in Boston. These grounds are not in use.



PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT.

General offices, 504-506 City Hall Annex, fifth floor.

[Ord. 1910, Chap. 9; Stat. 1910, Chaps. 553 and 571; Ord. 1911, Chaps.
1 and 10; Stat. 1912, Chap. 348; Rev. Ord. 1914, Chap. 28.]

Edward F. Muepht, Commissioner. Salary, $9,000. Term ends in 1919.
Bernard C. Kelley, Chief Clerk. Salary, $3,000.

By Chapter 9, Ordinances of 1910, approved by the Mayor November
28, 1910, and taking effect February 1, 1911, the Department of PubUc
Works was established, consisting of the Street, Water and Engineering
Departments combined under a single executive head (viz., the Com-
missioner of Public Works), the latter authorized to create the necessary
divisions of the department according to his judgment. The following



Online LibraryBoston (Mass.)Municipal register : containing rules and orders of the City Council, the city charter and recent ordinances, and a list of the officers of the City of Boston, for .. (Volume 1915) → online text (page 8 of 37)