Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society.

Transactions - Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society (Volume 9) online

. (page 1 of 41)
Online LibraryBristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological SocietyTransactions - Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society (Volume 9) → online text (page 1 of 41)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


TRANSACTIONS



OF THE



§rist0l antr (BUuttsitxsYxxt



%xthixola§\ti\l jJoticin



FOE 1881-85.



TRANSACTIONS



OK TIIK



lit iotoi & <£lottrrotrrsrt)trr



Rvci)atolo#ical ^ocifty



FOR 1881-85.



Edited by SIR JOHN MACLEAN, F.S.A., Ac.



VOL. IX.



BRISTOL:
PRINTED FOB THE SOCIETY BY C. T. JEFFERIES AND SONS
CANYNGE BUILDINGS, BEDCLIFFE STREET.



The Council of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Arcil-eological
Society desires that it should be distinctly understood that the
Council is not responsible for any statements made, or opinions
expressed, in the Transactions of the Society. The Authors are
alone responsible for their several Papers and Communications, and
the Editor for the Notices on Books.



TABLE OF CONTENTS.

Transactions at Evesham - - - - 1 -38

Catalogue of Exhibits in Temporary Museum - - - 39-40

Lists of Society's Books .... 47-50

On some Sculptured Effigies of Ecclesiastics in Gloucestershire.

By Mary Ellen Baoxell-Oakeley - - - 51-71

Notes on the Parish, the Church, and Ancient Religious Foundations

of Ledeneia Parva or St. Briavels. By the Rev. William

Taprell Allex, M.A., Vicar - - ■ 72-102

Notes on Buckland Manor and Advowson from a.d. 709 to a.d.

1546. By the Rev. William Bazeley, M.A. - - 103-124

Notes on an Excavation made near Evesham. By by R. F. Tomes 125-127
The Almonry of Evesham Abbey. By E. S. Ridsdale - - 12S-133

Tne Manor and Borough of Chipping Campden. By the Rev.

S. E. Bartleet, M.A. .... 134-195

The " Buckstone, "in the Parish of Dixton, Monmouthshire. By

Sir John Maclean, F.S. A. .... 196-197
The Berkeleys of Dursley during the 13th and 14th Centuries.

By Sir Hbnbt Barkly, K.C.B., G.C.M.G., &c. - - 227-270

The Family of Hayncs of Westbury-on-Trym, Wick and Abson,

and other places in Gloucestershire. By the Rev. F. G.

Poyntox, M.A., &c. - - - - - 277-297

Cirencester— Its Manor and Town. By the Rev.E.A. Fuller, M.A. 29S-344
On Feudal and Compulsory Knighthood. By Sir Johx Maclean,

F.S. A. - - - - - - 345-353

Addendum to the Memoir on the Manor and Borough of Chipping

Campden. By the Rev. S. E. Bartleet, M.A. - - 354-355

The Family of James Johnson, successively Bishop of Gloucester

and Worcester. By WALTEK Money, F.S. A. - - 356-357

In Memorial — Henry Thomas Ellacombe - - - 365-306

Keucwin Hoskixs Fryeb - - - 366-367

James Herbert Cooke - - 367-368



NOTICKS OF RECENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL PUBLICATIONS.





History df 'luxation & Taxes in England. By Stephen Dowei.l,

Assistant Solicitor of the Inland Revenue - - 19S-201

The Algonquin Legends of New England. By Charles G.

Lelani. - .... 201-204

The Nation in the Parish. By Emily M. Lawson, with a

Glossary of Local Words and Phrases. By Rev. ROBERT

Lawson, NLA. ..... 204-206

A Short History of the Episcopal Church in the United States.

By the Rev. W. BENHAM, B.D., F.S.A. - 206-207

The Gentleman's Magazine Library. Edited by GEORGE

Lawrence Gomme, F.S.A. - - - 207-208

The Lord of the Marches and The Lord Mayor. By Emily

Sarah Holt ..... 208-210

The History of Launceston & Dunheved. By Richard Peter,

Town Clerk of Launceston, and his son, Otho Bathurst

Peter - .... 210-213

The Marriage, Baptismal and Burial Registers, 1571 to 1874,

and Monumental Inscriptions of the Dutch Reformed

Church, Austin Friars, London, &c. Edited by William

John Moens. (Privately printed) - - - 213-214

Days Afoot and European Sketches ; and Round about Haida.

By James Baker - - - 214-215
An Account of some of the Incised and Sepulchral Slabs of

North-west Somersetshire. By E. W. Paul - - 215-216

Ecclesiological Notes on some of the Islands of Scotland. By

T. S. Mnii . - - - - - 216-22:5

De Nova Villa ; or, the House of Nevill. By Henry Swallow 223-226
The Pipe Roll Society's Publications - - - 358-359

Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis. By Charles Herbert Mayo, M.A. .'!.">!)-360

Church Plate in the Archdeaconry of Worcester. By William

Lk\, M. A., Archdeacon of Worcester - 361-362

Notes and Queiiea .... 362-364

Announcements— Ancient Stronghold of Worlebury - - .'364



LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS.



Fig. 1.
Fig. 2.



* V iew of the Old Bridge at Evesham

* Arch leading to the Chapter House, Evesham
Abbey -

Plate I. t Effigy of Abbot Foliot, Gloucester
Plate II. t Effigy of Abbot Seabroke, Gloucester -
Fig. 3 Missing

Fig. 4 Tomb of Abbot Knowle, Bristol

Fig. 5 Rebus of Abbot Newland or Nailheart

Plate III. t Effigy of Priest in Eucharistic Vestments, New-
land .....
Plate IV. t Do. do. do.
Plate V. f Do. do. Leckhampton

Plate VI. t Effigy of William Canynges, Dean of Westbury,

St. Mary Redcliffe -
Figs.6&7** Effigies of Canons, Bitton -
PI. VII. t Effigy of John Lavyngton in ordinary Ecclesias -
tical dress at St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol

|| Plan of St. Mary's Church, St. Briavels

|| Sculptured Slab, St. Briavels

X Ground Plan of the Almonry, Evesham Abbey -

J First-floor Plan of do. do.

I Sections and details of do. do.

PI. XIII. ; Fire-place do. do.

PI. XIV.* Lantern do. do.

PI. XV. t Details do. do.

Fig. 8. * View of Almonry from Court Yard
PI. XVI.:} North-west Prospect of the Court Yard
PI. XVIIJ South-east do. do. do.



PI. VIII
PI. IX.
PI. X.
PI. XI.
PI. XII.





I


». 2




P-


13


to face


P-


59


to face


P-


GO




P-


62




P-


64


to face


P-


36


do


,




dc


i.




to face


P-


69




P-


69


to face


P-


70


to face


P-


74


to face


P-


76



to face
pp. 128-129



to face p. 129
to face p. 130

do.



Fig. 9.



View of the " Buckstone," Dixton, Monmouthshire



p. 198



" The Society is indebted to Messrs. W. & ll. Smith, Printers ami Booksellers, Evesham,
for the loan ol the Mocks (or these illustrations.

t A moiety of the cost of these Plates was liberally paid by the Author.

The Bocietj is indebted to the late Rev. H. T. EUacombe tor the use of these hi >eks.

II Mr. W. T. Allen obligingl] presented the drawings tor these Plates.

* The drawir.gB tor these plates were kindly presented bj the author.

§ Mr. Waugh, of Monmouth, kindly lent the Electrotype of this engraving*



ADDENDA ET CORRIGENDA.



VOL. VIII.
Page 228, line 4, after almoner insert full stop and begin new sentence.

324 ,, 23, for Audry read Awdry.

325 ,, 22, for have read has.

327 ,, 11, insert full stop after Homo Bulla.

328 ,, S of inscription, for Pulpitq read Pulpltl^..
, ,, 9, for Concionatur read Concionator.

,, ,, 11, for fractisq read factisc^.
321 ,, 17, transfer this line to below line commencing " Ubi," &c,
and in the last mentioned line for episcopates read episcopates."
339 first descent— for Audrys read A wdrys.
341 last descent — for Golingsby read Coningsby.



VOL. IX.

Page 67. The Surplice and Almuce. Since Mrs. Bagnall-Oakeley's valuable
monograph on the Ecclesiastical Effigies in Gloucestershire was
printed another interesting example of a secular canon habited, as
those at Bitton, in cassock, surplice, almuce and cope has been
brought under notice in the Proceedings of the Society of Anti-
quaries just issued. It is represented on a wooden effigy formerly
in the church of All Saints, Derby, and cast out on the " des-
tructive restoration " of that church in 1873. It is believed to lie
the effigy of Robert Johnson, who was sub-dean as late as 1527.
It is gratifying to know that the fragments of this effigy, which is
considered, as the wooden effigy of a priest, to be unique, have beeu
recovered by the Derby Archaeological Society, and that by the
same Society measures are being adopted for the preservation of
the remains of this very interesting monument. (For particulars sec
Proc. Soc. Antiq., 2nd series Vol. X., pp. 63-66).

Page 91, line 6, for Graa Lien read Grace Dieu.
,, 19, utter Carpi nter delete full stop and insert comma.






Transactions of the

'§ ristol nnb Gloucestershire ^trdurologtrnl gocietp.

At the Annual Meetino, held at Evesham, on

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, the 23rd, 2Jfth and 25th July,

1884.

The Ninth Annual Summer meeting of the Society was held at Evesham on
the days above mentioned. Though the weather had been remarkably fine
during the month of June and the early part of July, it became very broken
and stormy about the middle of the latter month, and continued so through
the days of the meeting, which, in no small degree, interfered with the com-
fort of the members, though it did not damp their enthusiasm.

The arrangements were, as usual, very effectively made by a local com-
mittee consisting of the following gentlemen : — The Rev. G. Drinkwater
Bourne, M.A. (Chairman) ; The Revs. Martin Amphlett, J. R. Barker,
S. PI Bartleet, N. G. Batt, J. W. Cai.dicott, D.D., B. Davis, T. H. Hunt,
A. H. Winmncton Ingram (Hon. Canon of Worcester), F. Willoughby
Jones, (i. S. Morris, P. Norris, G. W. Phillips, S.Taylor, S. Walker,
and F. E. B. Witts ; The Worshipful the Mayor of Evesham (Mr. Wm.
Gardner) ; Messrs. Thomas Akkins, Isaac Averill, Jethro Bracher, H.
Burlingham, R. N. Chaiavick, George Fades, Edgar Flower, G. H.
Fosbroke, G. H. Garrard, S. G. Hamilton, A. L. Haynes, G. Hunt, J.
W. .Iaynes, John Loxley. A. H. Martin, Herbert New, C. G. Prance,
E. C. Ri i < k, A. H. Savory, T. S. Shekel:,, J. Sladuen, T. J. Slatter,
R. F. Tomes, and W. Smith, of whom Mr. Slatter was good enough to act
us Local Treasurer, and Messrs. New and Tomes as Local Secretaries.

The Town Hall and Council Chamber were courteously placed at the
disposal of the Society by the Mayor and Corporation, and the rooms of the
Evesham Institute by the Council of that body. The latter rooms were
appropriated as the reception room, dining and breakfast room, and for other
purposes, and the former for holding the meetings and for the Temporary
Museum.

The Society was officially received by the Mayor and Corporation at the
Town Hall at noon, on Wednesday, the •_\~>tli. Among the members of the
Society present were Sir W. V. Guise, Bart. [President of the Council), Sir
John Maclean, F.S.A. ; the Revs. W. T. Allen, W. Bazeley (Hon. Sec),
W. T. Blathwayt, S. E. P.ailtleet, Dr. Caldicott (Hon Sec), J. Emerm,
W. Baonal-Oakeley, &c. ; Colonel PoRBBS; Messrs. W. ADLAM, T. B.
Bkavbndeb, J. IT. Cooke, F.S.A. F. A. D'Argewt, II. DbbHAH, K. H.
Vol. IX., part 1 B



2 Transactions at Evesham.

Fryer (Mayor of Gloucester), W. George, G. Hartlanp, W. Leigh, R.
M. Lingwood, J. Murch, C. Playne, P. D. Plankerd, C. P. Pritchett,
P. Protiieroe, S. H. S wayne, W. Urex, &c, most of the members of the
local committee, and many ladies and friends of the members and other
visitors.

The Mayor of Evesham (Mr. Wm. Gardner), who was attired in his
robe and chain of office, and had on the table before him the borough maces,
addressed a few words to the Society. Speaking on behalf of himself, the
Corporation, and the people of Evesham, he said they felt highly honoured
by the presence of the Society in this town, and he wished to give the
members a hearty welcome. He recalled the fact that in 1875 the British
Archaeological Society visited Evesham, ami stated that when at Ragley, the
Treasurer of that body spoke of the Evesham congress as having been as
successful as any the Society had ever held. The meeting nine years ago
lasted for a week. The present one would only last three days, but he
trusted it might prove equally interesting, that the visitors would have
reason to speak well of this ancient borough and the people in it ; that they
would be favoured with fine weather, and that on each day's trip they would
enjoy the many antiquities that would come before their notice. The people of
Evesham considered themselves highly favoured in living in what was known
as the Garden of England. They felt proud of their streets, their bell tower,
their parish churches and other places of worship, all well restored, their
Grammar School, their Town Hall and Institute, their Cottage Hospital and
School, and also the New Bridge and Workman Pleasure Grounds. If they
referred to Mr. New's book " A Day at Evesham," which was well worthy
of the author, they would see a sketch of the buildings formerly at the foot
of the old bridge, 1 and he recommended them to compare that with the




Fig. 1.
1 \v<uir favour* d bj the publishers, Messrs. \v. & II. smith, with the loan of the wood
If of the engraving alluded to by the Mayor (Fi • I). It represents the wi rtt rn portion of the

picturesque old bridge, now destroyed. The arches are - whai concealed by osier beds. The

old house whereon the name of "Tayler" appears is thai referred to in the charter of 1605
u the "Old Guild Hall." It was afterwards used as a Poor House. The old sycamore tree
oew it ia well remembered. lio.



RF.ronT of Cof.voil. 3

aspect of the place as transformed within the last quarter-of-a-century. The
borough, he was glad to say, was still improving and further permanent im-
provements were contemplated. They were lengthening the streets by new
' nildinga which were erected in the hope that friends would come and live
there. Adverting to the proposed visit to the churches and the site of the
abbey, his worship said he could not do better than commend them to the care
of the worthy vicar, the Rev. J. Ross Barker. He touched upon several points
of interest in the abbey precincts, remarking as to the disposal of the ruins,
and said that there was seldom an old building or wall taken down in the
borough without some portions of carved stone or tracery richly cut being
found which once formed part of the ancient abbey. After a few words upon
the site of the battle-field, and in eulogy of Mr. New's ability as a guide to
that historic spot, the Mayor said he felt honoured to sit there for a second
term of office as Mayor, and especially so after being successful in the com-
pletion of very important sanitary works such as drainage and water supply,
proper attention to which was so necessary to the health, comfort and hap-
piness of the people. In conclusion he said he should have had pleasure in
joining the Society during the next two days, but to keep a promise he
made last year he was obliged to be in London that night. He wished the
members three very enjoyable days, and gave them a hearty welcome to the
borough of Evesham.

Sir W.m. GuiSE then took the chair, and in the course of a brief address
said he was present on that occasion to do a duty which should have fallen
upon another, namely, upon the President, Mr. Stafford Howard, M. P., from
whom he had a letter expressing his extreme regret that an engagement in
London prevented Iris being present on this occasion. As President of the
Council he begged to convey their most hearty thanks to the Mayor for the
very kind and cordial reception he had given them, and he only hoped that
the weather might permit them to visit the very interesting antiquities
which the district around them offered to their notice. Sir William then
called upon

The Rev. Dr. Caldicott, who read the Report of the Council, the open-
ing part of which was as follows : —

REPORT OF COUNCIL.
The Council in presenting its Report for the year 1883-84 to the members of
the Bristol & (iloucestershire Arclueological Society has to congratulate them
on the valuable work done in the course of the year and on the general
condition of the Society. The number of members at the present time is 511,
against 518 at the corresponding period of last year. Of these 439 are
annual subscribers, 79 are life members. During the past year 41 vacancies
have occurred by death or resignation ; 3 of the deceased having been life
members of the Society. The number of new members elected in the year
is 34, of whom 4 are life members. On the 21st of April, 1883, the balance
at the bankers to the; credit of the Society was £'237 8s. (id. The income of
the Society for the year ending April 21st, 1884, was £2S4 19s. 7d., making
with the balance a sum of £519 8s. Id., while the expenditure for the year has
been 6245 Ills. (id. On the general account there was a balance for the year
to the credit of the Society of £273 8a. 7<1. Prom this, however, must be
deducted £150 Is. 8d., the amount in which the Berkeley MSS, account was

li 2



4 Transactions at Evesham.

indebted to the general account on the 21st of April. The balance of the
Society's banking account, therefore, at the end of the financial year was
£123 6s. Lid. This balance will be reduced by the cost of the publication
of the eighth volume of the Transactions, the first part of which has been
delivered to the subscribers, and the second part is considerably advanced.
Besides the balance at the bankers there is a sum of £432 3s. Sd. invested in
Consols. 1

The Society has to lament the loss by death during the year of several
of its most active members. Of these the Council would specially mention
the names of Mr. J. D. T. Niblett, F.S.A., Mr. W. ;Eneas Seys, and
Mr. J. F. Nicholls, F.S.A. Mr. Niblett for very many years took a
deep interest in the antiquities of Gloucestershire ; and from the foundation
of this Society has been of great service in all the various branches of its
work. The success of the meeting at Chepstow was mainly due to Mr. Seys'
exertions ; and Mr. Nicholls, on several occasions, guided the Society on its
visits to Bristol and the neighbourhood, and contributed valuable papers to
the Transactions. These three gentlemen were members of the Council.

The Eighth Annual Meeting of the Society was held at Bath, on
Wednesday, July 25th, 18S3, under the Presidency of Edward Stafford
Howard, Esq., M.P. There was a large attendance of members, who were
received and entertained in the Banqueting Room of the Guildhall, by H.
Cossham, Esq. (the Mayor of Bath). The President, having been introduced
by Sir William Guise, Bart., delivered his inaugural address, in which,
after briefly discussing the benefits to be derived from the study of
Archaeology, he gave a very interesting sketch of the devolution of the
Castle and Manor of Thornbury from the time of Edward the Confessor,
m ith a graphic account of the government of the town and manor, illustrated
by extracts from the Court Rolls from the year 13S7.

The company next proceeded to the Pump Room, where Major Davis
described the position and arrangements of the Roman Baths, including the
one recently uncovered. After inspecting the remains of this Bath the
Society made an excursion, under the guidance of the Rev. Prebendary
Scarth, to Hampton Down, for the purpose of examining the line of the
\\ ansdikc, the direction of the Roman roads around Bath, and the fords of
the river Avon. Mr. Scarth also pointed out and described the different
camps of which traces are found on Lansdown, and the camp on Salisbury
Hill.

At the Evening Meeting Papers were read and discussed : one On tli?
lately excavated Roman Bath, by Major Davis, another On the History of
Ancient Bath, by Mr. T. (i. P. lfallett, and a third On the Skirmish at
Claverton in L643, by Mr. II. 1?. Skrine.

Oil Thursday, July 26th, an excursion was made by way of Banner
Down, to Marshfield, Cold Ashton, Sodbury and Dyrham, the return to
Bath being made by Tog Hill, the scene of an obstinate struggle between
the Royalists and Parliamentarians. In the course of this excursion the

l This pai igraph b1 t, - ,„,h u,,. Balance of the Banker's Account for the year as it
&P] I on April 21st, 1884. Tin- Mini of cl.'.O is. 8d. advanced on account of the pub-
lication ol the Berkeley 1188. Is an asset of the Society; as Is also the amount of subscriptions
for the year thai w< re thi n unpaid. Against this, on the other hand, must be set the cost of
the publication of Vol. VIII. mentioned in the paragraph.



Report of Council. 5

church of Marshfield was described by the Rev. G. F. Trot man, the Church
of Cold Ashton and the Parsonage by Mr. E. Sayres, and the Manor House
at Sodbury by Mr. G. B. Witts.

At Dyrham the Rev. W. T. Blathwayt conducted the party over the
Church and Manor House. At the Evening Meeting papers were read : On
Local Names, by the Rev. J. Eaile (Professor of Anglo-Saxon in the Univer-
sity of Oxford) ; On the Battle of JJeorhum, by Mr. T. G. P. Hallett ; On
Sodbury Camp, by Mr. G. B. Witts. The Rev. W. Bazeley ofi'eied some
remarks On the Parallel Marches of Edward J V. and Queen Margaret, and
notes by Mr. J. Taylor, On William Tyndale and his Forerunners in Glou-
cestershire, were accepted as read.

The final meeting was held in the Guildhall on the morning of Friday,
July "27th, the chair being taken, in the absence of the President, by Sir W.
V. Guise, Bart. The usual votes of thanks having been passed and acknow-
ledged the Society paid a visit to Iron Acton, where a description of the
manor and the church was given by the Rector, the Rev. H. L. Thompson.
After this the Church of Thornbury was visited, under the guidance of the
Rev. T. Waters, the vicar, by whom a paper was read on the structure, the
advowson and the incumbents. The President aftei wards received the
Society at the castle (which, with the fine gardens, he had thrown open for
the inspection of his visitors) and gave some further facts supplementary to
the information contained in his inaugural address.

Before the conclusion of the meeting a resolution, proposed by the
President and seconded by Sil William. \ . Guise, was unanimously passed,
expressing the hope of the Society that the mayor and corporation of Bath
may be able to open up the whole extent of the Roman Baths lately un-
covered in that city.

The Spring Meeting of the Society was held on May 8th, at Cirencester.
A brief visit having been first paid to the Parish Church, under the guidance
of the Rev. E. A. rullcr, the members examined the remains of the Hospital
of St. John, known as the Paen. Mr. E. C. Sewell gave a brief sketch oi the
building and of the history of the foundation, after which, the Weavers' Hall,
the Roman Amphitheatre at the Querns, and the collection of Roman i einains
in the Museum were examined. In the afternoon an excursion was made to
Siddington, South Cerney, Ashton Kevnes, and Cricklade. At the Evening
Meeting, in the Assembly Room, at which Sir J. Maclean presided, papers
were read by Mr. T. B. Bravendcr ; On Recent Roman Fiuas in Cirencester,
and by Mr. E. C. Sewell, On Cirencester during the Civil War, 1042-1044. a.d.

Besides the ordinary meetings of the Society a Special Meeting of the
West Gloucestershire Division was held at Ruardean on Monday, Sept. 24th,
1883. Alter Sir J. Maclean had pointed out the objects of interest in the
Church of Ruardean, the excursionists proceeded to the Church of W'alford,
where, in the absence from illness of the Rev. A. Stonhouse, the vicar, Sir
J. Maclean directed attention to many matters of great interest in the
building, ;.nd mentioned several persons of fame who had been connected
with the church. The next visit was paid to Waif or d Court, an account of
the court and manor being given by Miss Shaud. After this Goodrich
Castle was visited, and a description of it was read by Sir J. Maclean, who



6 Transactions at Evesham.

gave also some curious information as to its devolution and its lords. At
Haslehurst the Society was entertained at tea by Miss Philips.

The financial results of these meetings have been as follows ;— At Bath
there was a profit to the Society of £10 14s. 10d., at the Ruardean meeting a
profit of £5 12s. 4d., at Cirencester a loss of £1 13s. 6d.— bearing on the
whole a gain of £14 13s. 8d.

The second volume of the Berkeley MSS. has been printed and delivered
to those members who have paid their subscriptions, and the third volume
containing the History of the Hundred of Berkeley is in the press. A third
portion has been issued of the Abstracts of the Wills in the Council House
at Bristol. The thanks of the Society are due to the Rev. T. P. Wadley for
the skill and judgement which he has shewn in making these Abstracts.

Besides the Reports and Transactions of the bodies with which the
Society exchanges its own publications, the following works have been
added to the library in the year : — The Cotswold Game*, presented by Sir
Brook Kay ; A List of Buildings having Mural Decorations (by Mr. C. E.
Keyser), presented by the Science and Art Department at South Kensington
Museum ; sundry parts of the Journal of the Royal Archaeological Institute
and of the Journal of the British Archaeological Association, have been
obtained by purchase to complete the Society's sets of these works.



Online LibraryBristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological SocietyTransactions - Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society (Volume 9) → online text (page 1 of 41)