British Archaeological Association. Central Commit.

The Archaeological journal (Volume v. 34) online

. (page 18 of 54)
Online LibraryBritish Archaeological Association. Central CommitThe Archaeological journal (Volume v. 34) → online text (page 18 of 54)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Silvest: et heredes mei warantizabimus predicto Radulfo et heredibus
suis vel ejus assignatis totam predictam terram cum omnibus perti-
nenciis suis conti'a omnes gentes imperpetuum. Pro hac autem
donacione et presentis carte mee confirmacione dedit mihi predictus
Radulfus novem marcas argenti in Gersinnam, et ut hec mea donacio
concessio et carte mee confirmacio rata et stabilis imperpetuum
pleverit sigilli mei appositione eam roboravi. Hiis testibus Rad':
Marescal':, Rob'to de Dalinghen; Rad': de Eston, Will'mo de Wyl-
besnade, Henrico de Dagenliale, Simone de Danevile, Adamo de
Danevile, Will'mo de Audeburi, Rad: de Bratton clerico, et aliis.

" Inspeximus et cartam quam Frater Albanus Martel milicie Templi
iu Anglia minister fecit predicto Rad': in hec verba.

" Omnibus et fidelibus ad quos presens scriptum pervenerit Frater
Albanus Martel milicie Templi in Anglia minister humilis salutem in
domino. Sciatis quod nos de communi consilio et assensu capital!
uostri in Paseh: apud Dinesle concessimus et hac present! carta con-
firmavimus Rad': de Geyton et heredibus suis totam terram illam in
villa de Pandele quod appellatur la inlande, cum to to Grascrofto et
PinnokeshuUe, et cum omnibus aliis pertinenciis suis, et illud mes-
suagium quod fuit Alfred! de Woderore cum crofta que pertinet ad
idem messuagium, et croftam illam que appellatur Gierke's croft,
similiter croftam illam c[uam appellatur Miistelescroft, et croftam illam
que appellatur la Stane, et totum, assartum in villa de Audeburi, quod
est inter terram cj^ue fuit Will'mi fill! Hugonis de la Grave ex una
parte et les Hores ex altera similiter pasturam illam cjue jacet inter
predictum assartum et fossatum quod se extendit ad Wyngate ot inter
les Hores ex una pai-te et Aylmerecrofte ex altera parte, et pasturam
illam que jacet inter dictum fossatum quod est in superior! parte et
viam cj[ue appellatur Pottereswey ex inferior! parte et vocatur pastura
ilia Saywedune et incipit a fine de Godwinstune et durat usque la
Wyngate et de la Wyngate versus vallem usque ad pruam spinam, et
de prua spina descendeudo usque ad viam que ajDpellatur Potteresweye
videlicet usque ad illam locum ubi via que appellatur MuUesweye
intrat in viam que appelatur Potteresweye et pratum illud quod est de
quatuor acris in Lullesey et jacet inter aquam de Lullesey et pratum de
Wingrave et circuitur ex omni parte de prato de Wengrave, et preterea
totum jus quod habuimus de dono Hawysie de Bovill in communi
bosco ub! Abbas de la Feveresham et dominus Galfrid: de Lucy com-
municantur ; concessimus et eidem Rad: et heredibus suis quietum
de pannagio in bosco de Audeburi quum dedit nobis predicta Hawisia,
et preterea decem solidos de dimidia hyda terre in villa de Chetendon
que fuit Eadulfi de Chetendou ot homagium de terra Eicavdi filii



184 ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS.

Will'mi Meynardi. et duos solidos et corpus suum et cousuetudiues
cum tota sequela sua de terra Bartholomei de Beininden, duos solidos
et quatuor denarios et corpus suuiii et cousuetudiues cum tota sequela
sua de terra Hugouis Grom, sexdecim denarios et corpus suum et cou-
suetudiues cum tota sequela sua de terra Will'mi filii Godwiui,
quinque solidos et corpus suum et consuetudines cum tota sequela sua
et totam terram illam quam appellatur Edithecrofte quam Willmus de
Wederore tenuit, et totam terram illam quam Alfredus de Wederore
tenuit, et totam terram quam Alfredus Juveuis tenuit, et totam terram
quam Willmus de Bonteslje tenuit, que terre jacent inter dominacium
antiquum ct terras hominum de Pendele, et dimidiam virgatam terre
quam Bad: de Bonteslye tenuit et corpus smim et sequelam suam, que
scilicet omnia predicta tenementa habemus ex dono predicte Hawisie.
Habenda et teuenda predicto Ead: et lieredibus suis cum omnibus
pert's, libere cjuiete et integre ; reddendo inde annuatim domui nostre
quinque solidos ad duos anni termiuos scilicet duos solidos et sex
denarios ad festum S'ti Mich's et duos solidos et sex denarios ad
Pascli: riorum: et uos omnia predicta predicto Ead: et lieredibus
suis warantizabimus. Hiis testibus, domino Galfrido de Lucy, Ead:
de Glanvile, Rad': marescal, Radulfo milite de Piclielestorn, G::
milite de ejusdem ville, Gregorio de Lembur', Alano de Hyda,
Symone de Frangleye, Roberto de Marisco, Alex: filio Fulcher,
Samuele de Wygenton, Jolianue de Merston, et aliis

"Inspeximus et cartam quam Eicardus Maresc: fecit predicto Eadulfo
in hec verba.

* ' SciANT preseutes et futuri quod ego Eicardus Marescal' dedi concessi
et hac presenti carta mea confirmavi Domino Eadulfo de Geyton et
heredibus suis vel cui dare vel assignare voluerit et quando, totam
terram meam quam liabui in villa de Magna Linford, in dominicis et
redditibus in homagiis serviciis releviis et escaetis in pratis et pastui'is
in viis et semitis in boscis et planis et omnibus aliis dicte terre perti-
uentibus, vel que dicte terre pertinere possint pro bomagio et servicio
suo et pro sexaginta marcas argenti quas milii pre manibus dedit:
tenend: et habend: de me et heredibus meis sibi et lieredibus suis vel
aut dare vel assignare voluerit et quando in feodo et hereditate, libere
quiete bene et in pace ; reddendo ipse annuatim milii et heredibus
meis ?eptem denarios, videlicet ad pascham, pro omni seculari con-
suetudine secta curie evictiones et demandas salvo forinseco servicio
domini regis quando scutagium evenerit, scilicet quantum pertinet ad
terciam partem uniua feodi militis do proprio feodo de Morteyn ; et
ego predictus Eic: Maresc: et heredes mei warantizabimus acquietabi-
mus et per predictum servicium defendemus predicto Ead: de Geyton
et heredibus suis et eorum assiguatis totam predictam terram cum omni-
bus suis i)ertinenciis nominatis et non nominatis contra omnes homines
et feminas in perpetuum: et ut hec mea donacio concessio warantizatio
et presentis carte niee couhrmacio firma semper permaneat et stabilis
eam sigilli mei impressione roboravi. Hiis testibus, Domino Stephano-
de Chenduit, Ivone de Picheleston, . . . orante de Piclielestorn, Eic: de
Molend', AVill'mo de Audebur', Will'mo filio Philippi, Willmo lilio
Willmi Thuriet, et aliis.

"Inspeximus et cartam quam Eogerusfilius Eicardide Duneslo fecit
predicto Ead: in hec verba.

"SciANT presentes et futuri Cjuod ego Eogerus filius Eicardi de
Duuesley dedi concessi et hac presenti carta mea connrp-vavi Ead: de



ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS. 185

Geytone et heredibus suis pro servicio suo, climicliam virgatam terre
cum capitali mesuagio in Diinesle inparochia tie Trenge, similiter cum
capitali mesuagio in IJunesle similiter cum capite illius acre terre que
jacet inter mesuagiuni predictum et mesuagium Eadulfi Clerici de
Dunesley et se liabutat versus magnam viam in Dunesle, et etiam
nnam denarium redditus quam recipere solebam de Eicardo Coco de
Dunesle de feodo predict! Eadulfi, sine aliqiio retenemento mihi vel
heredibus meis de se vel heredibus suis : habend: et tenend: sibi et
heredibus suis vel assignatis, libere quiete bene integre plenarie in
pace et honorifice, in viis ssmitis pratis pascuis et pasturis et in omnibus
locis, faciendo ipse Radulfus et heredes sui vel assignati capitali
domino debitum servicium ; pro hae autem donaciono concessione et
presentis carte mee confirmacione dedit mihi predictus Eadulfus sex
marcas et octo solidos et octo Denarios pre manibus; et ogo supradictus
Eogerus et heredes mei vel assignati predictam dimidiam virgatam
terre cum capitali mesuagio et capite aera et denariis rodditus predicto
Eadulfo et heredibus suis vel assignatis contra omnes homines et
feminas inperpetuum warantizabimus ; et ut hec mea donacio firma sit
et stabilis huic presenti carte sigillum meum apposui. Hiis testibus,
Johanne Blundel, Thoma de Pluntendon, AVill'mo de Wedebore,
Johanne Forestario de Trenge, Will'mo de Audebur', Will'mo Coco,
Johanne de Dove, Willmo de Hamel, Ada Serviente de Pendele,
AValtero Clerico de Wygentou, et aliis.

" Ikspeximus et cartam quam Ricardus de Habintou fecit predicto
Eadulfo in hec verba.

" SciAXT presentes et futuri cj^uod ego Eicardus de Habinton dedi
concessi et hac presenti carta mea confirmavi Eadulfo de Geyton pro
homagio et servicio suo totam terram meam quam Gilbertus ealvus
advuneulus mens tenuit in Seybroc, in Pitcheleston, in Chetendon, cum
omnibus pert's ad predictam pertinentibus: tenend: etliabend: de me et
heredibus meis dicto Ead: et heredibus suis vel assignatis, exceptis
viris religiosis, libere cpiiete integre hereditarie; reddendo inde annuatim
Simoni de Stukeli et heredibus suis ipse et heredes sui vel assignati sex
solidos et octo denarios, scilicet ad festum St'e ]\[arie in M. . tres
solidos et quatuor denarios, et ad festum S'ti Michaelis tres solidos et
quatuor denarios, et mihi et heredibus meis vel meis assignatis unum
par cyrotecarum pro omni servicio, salvis duobus solidis solvendis pro
quolibet scutagio C[uam scutagium currit per preceptum domini regis ;
et ego predictus Eicardus de Habinton et heredes mei vel mei
assignati warantizabimus per predictum servicium dicto Eadulfo et
heredibus suis vel suis assignatis totam predictam terram cum omnibus
suis pertinenciis contra, omnes homines et feminas : pro hac autem
donacioue et concessione et warantizacione dedit mihi predictus
EaduJfus C£uinquaginta marcas argenti et ut hec mea donacio et con-
cessio et warantizacio rata sit et stabilis presenti scripto sigillum
raeuui apposui. Hiis testibus, Gileberto Greinvile, Johanne de Merston,
Will'mo de Bello Campo, Nicholao Burdun, Militibus ; AValtero de
Belenden, Eoberto de Merston, AVill'mo de AVederore, Will'nK) de
Audeburi, Will'mo de Hamele, et aliis.

" NOS vero dictas donacioues et confirmaciones i-atas et gratas
habentes eas predicto Eadulfo heredibus et assignatis suis C|uibuscun-
que, exceptis vii'is religiosis, pi-o nobis et heredibus nostris confirm a-
\'imus ; habendas et tenendas prout predicte ante evident: us et plenius
protestantur ; in cujus rei testimonium presenti scripto sigillum meum



18G ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS.

apposuimus, Hiis testibus, Stephano de Chenduit, Eogero de Amari,
Will'mo Eussell, Milone de Belio Campo, Will'mo de M'le, Eoberto
de Esthall, Will'mo Blundel, Will'mo Thiuiet, et aliis. Datum apud
AValingeford septimo die Julii anno grade millesimo ducentesimo
quinquagesimo sexto."

It will be seen that the charter commences and concludes witli Earl
Eichard's con^rmation of the contents to Ealpli de Geyton, styled in
one place Dominus, whom, however, he does not directly address. Of
the Earl's witnesses, Stephen de Chenduit -was the head of a family
who had long held Charwelton and Middleton-Chenduit, corrupted
into C'heyney, in Northamptonshire, and were tenants of the Honour
of Berkhampstede. Hulian or Julian do Chenduit granted his manor of
Ashridge with Pilston to Edmund Earl of Cornwall. In 1215 King John
ordered the Constable of Berkhampstede to give to Eafe Chenduit seizin
of his lands. The Amari family held lands under Wallingford, as did
the Eussells, in the fee of Mortaine, in Northamptonshire. Eoger
Amari held half a fee in Thornbury of the Earl of Warwick. Miles
de Beauchamp held land at Lavenden, Bucks. Blundel was from
Devon, and received from the elder Eichard, Henry Ill's uncle, lands
at Binstardeley, co. Northampton, which passed to his brother Eobert
as " Scutellarius" in the reign of Henry III. AVilliam Blundel is
described as *• Cancellarius domini comitis."

The Earl's part of the charter is very brief, and is confined to the
introduction and conclusion, and a line introducing each of the six
recited charters, to which his confirmation was necessary as over-lord
of the Honour of Berkhampstede. All are in favour of Greyton.

Geoffrey de Lucy, the first grantor, conveys lands in W^vgenton, and
a meadow in Lollesey. He was a Baron of the realm, of Newington
in Kent, the son and father of other Geoff'ries, the first and last Barons.
He died 12th Edward I. They held Wj'genton, and in Bucks lands
in Chetendon. They also gave name to the manor of Lucy's in Little
Gaddesden, which they conveyed to Earl Edmund when he founded a
religious house at Ashridge. AVygenton is a parish and manor near
Tring. Lollesey was near Albury. The Merstons of Merston, Beds,
were local gentry. The Belendens were tenants of Feversham Abbey
in Herts. AVm. Basset was probably of Adestoke, Bucks.

Pitcheleston or "torn" and Yseley, in the second charter, are, the
one a parish, now Pichelestorn or Pitston, and the other a manor.
De la Grace occurs at Chalfont St. Giles and in Gloucestershire.

Albau or Alan Martel, who grants the third charter, was in 1224
Master of the Temple in England, and Dinsley was one of their
Preceptories. Of persons, Ealph de Glanvile was a Crevequer tenant,
and the Hydes were an old family in Albury. The places named are
probably in Tring parish. Chetendon or Cheddington, and Audeburi,
Al- or Aldbury are parishes and manors near Berhhamputede. Wen-
grave is Wingrave, a manor in the Honour, but near Aylesbury.

Eichard IMareschal. who grants the fourth charter, was of Great
Linford near Newport Pagnel, as was Ealph, wlio was ordered in
] 223 to hold Berkhampstede Castle. Eafe Chenduit was conjoined
with him.

Dunesle or Dunsley, the land granted by the fifth charter, was in
Tring. De Hamelo held lands in Herts under Feversham Abbey.

Of the persons in tJie last charter, Nicholas Burdun held Kings
Teignton in Devon, and lands in Wilts, Gloucester, and Northampton.
Ho was probably connected with Eichard's earldom of Cornwall.



Proceetnugs at imeetmgs; of tlje Eopl (^rdjaeological

Institute,

February 2, 1877.
C. P. E. FouTxrar, Esq., F.S.A., V.P., in the Chair.

At the opening of the New Session the Chairman adverted in
feeling terms to the great loss the Institnte had sustained in the
death of Mr. Burtt. His intimacy with the method and the require-
ments of the Institute, and his extensive acquaintance throughout the
kingdom, gave him a power which was long and ably devoted to the
interests of the society. After referring to the course which had been
adopted by the Council to mark tlieir esteem for their late friend, and
their sympathy with his ^idow and famil}', the Chairman alluded to
the retirement of Mr. Banking, and explained the arrangements which
had been made for the Secretariat of the Institute by the appointment
of Mr. Albert Hartshorne and Mr. William Brailsford. As to the
condition of the Institute, it was most satisfactory. The Colchester
Meeting had been eminently successful ; much cordiality was evinced
by the inhabitants, and the papers read were of great interest and
value.

"With regard to the inconvenience arising from the present restrictions
upon the gratuitous access to Wills in Her Majesty's Court of Probate,
Sir JoHX Maclean proposed the following resolution : —

" Tliat this Society should unite with the Society of Anticiuaries and
the Camden Society in making a representation to the Judge of Her
Majestj^'s Court of Probate of the inconvenience suffered by authors
under the present restriction upon the gratuitous access to Wills, and
in a petition that free access to those documents for imreJij literary
purposefi be extended at the Chief Probate Court and allowed at the
Local Probate Courts." This was seconded by Mr. Sodex Smith, and
carried unanimously.

Mr. E. C. Davey then read a memoir " On the recent discovery of a
Eoman Villa at Cranhill near Wantage." The author, who illustrated
his remarks by maps and plans, compared it with one at AVheatley,
whicli it closely resembled, and gave a detailed account of the liyper-
caust and the antiquities which had been found on the spot and in the
neighbourhood. Mr. Tucker f^Rouge Croix) made some remarks upon
the Roman antiquities in the district which he had lately visited.
!Mr. Davey's paper is printed in Vol. xxxiii, p. 382.

]Mr. Haktsiiorxe read a paper " On a Monumental Effigy at Hugh-
enden, Bucks, attributed to Richard AVellesbourne deMontfort," which
will be printed in a future number of the " Journal." Mr. Waxleh

VOL. XXXIV. 2 B



188 PROCEEDINGS AT MEETINGS OF

made some observasions on tlie extreme interest and grandevir of the
effigy and tlie very puzzling heraldiy exhibited on the shield and
surcote. The little coats of arms on the scabbard were, he thought,
those of personal friends. Mr. Tucker (Eouge Croix) said that the
peculiarity of the heraldry had often been discussed at the College of
Arms. He saw no reason to doubt the statements of Lipscombe, tlie
historian of Buckinghamshire, which was based upon a record left by
a vicar of Hughenden in the early part of the seventeenth century, that
the effigy was intended to represent Richard de Montfort. The occur-
rence of a crescent repeated three times at the feet of the figure
remained unexplained.



Antiquities antJ Morhs of Urt ^xljifeitcti.

By Mr. E. C. Davey. — Maps and plans in illustration of his paper,
some bronze celts and a gold coin of Tincomius found near Wantage.

By Mr. Haktshorne. — Three full-size drawings of the effigy at
Hughenden.

By Sir John Maclean. — E-ubbings of a cross now at Trevena,
Tintagel, formerly at Trevillet. This example of a Cornish cross of
the tenth century, ineasuring 3 ft. in length, 1 ft. a in. in width, and
9 in. in thickness, is inscribed on one side in Romano-Gothic charac-
ters : -|- MATHEiTS maecys lyoas ioii ; on the other, telnat -f fecit

HAC CEYCEM P ANIMA StJ.

By Mr. II. F. Church. — A collection of silver and bronze brooches
and six rings from the Island of I^ewis in the Hebrides, collected by
Mr. "W. S. Parker. In remarking upon these objects, Mr. Sodex
Smith said that they bore in their forms the ti'aditions of a very early
period, and were in fact the degenerate descendants of the ancient
Celtic brooch. He described the various kinds shown, remarking
upon the difference between a brooch proper and the " brocf} of gollJ full
sljfne" worn by Chaucer's Pjioress on her arm, which was a pendant
jewel. Some of the examples shown were very late, one brooch being
dated 1704. The fashion of wearing pendant brooch-jewels about the
arms continued long after Chaucer's time. Such decorations appear
in great elegance on the beautiful effigy, in Harefield church, of Alice
Countess of Derby, the "sweet Amaryllis" of Spenser, and to whom
he dedicated his Teares of the Muses.

By the Rev. Hugh Pigot.— Cloth, probably of Persian needlework,
formerly in use as the Altar-cloth in Stretham church, Cambridgeshire.
This was of blue silk, quilted, and backed with linen The centre
contained a representation in tent-stitch of a pelican feeding her young,
surrounded by peacocks and other birds, the whole being contained
within a border of wild beasts and hunting scenes, similar to what is
often seen on circular Oriental shields. The employment of such a
covering as this for the altar of Stretham church is a curious and
perhaps unique fact, and worthy to be chronicled.

By Mr. O. C. Pell. — A fine example of a stone hammer and thi'ee
beads found at Stretham.

By the Rev. C. 11 IU^rnham. — An altar cloth of needlework of the
time of Elizabeth in an intricate pattern and delicate shades, but now
in a great state of dilapidation ; and two other pieces of needlework of
the same peiiod, from Cogenhoe church, Northamptonshire.




Scale of Inches

— ^ ^ ^



DIAGRAM OF PATTERN ON OLD NEEDLEWORK
IN COGENHOE CHURCH.



THE KOYAL ARCH^OLOGICAL INSTITUTE. 189

By Mrs. Duffield. — Samplers of the seventeenth and eighteenth
century in fine needlework.

By Miss SiMsox. — A tasselled cushion, said to be for the exhibition
of relics, representing Adam and Eve, in needlework upon a ground of
silver wire; and an embroidered "Maccaroni" coat and waistcoat.

By Miss Meaes. — Samplers, including one dated 1662.

By Mr. Brailsfohd. — Embroidered waistcoat of the time of Greorge I.

By Mrs. Willoughby. — Portions of a lady's dress of the close of the
seventeenth century ; and pieces of embroidery of the early part of the
eighteenth century.

By Miss HoPKiNsox. — Embroidered purse of Charles I.

By Mrs. Barnwell. — Two French flower pieces delicately worked on
satin, dated 1770.

By ^Mrs. Carlilk. — An eighteenth century porte-monnaie.

By Mr. B. M. Eaxking. — Two pieces of ecclesiastical embroidery
representing saints, probably sixteenth century French work.

By Mr SouEN Smith. — Leather flask found at the depth of twelve
feet in excavating in the parish of St. George's-in-the-East in 1876.

March 2, 1877.
Sir J. Sibbald D. Scott, Bart., F.S.A., V.P, in the Chair.

The Chairman spoke of the loss that the Institute had sustained by
the death of Mr. Talbot Bury, one of the earliest members of the
Institute, and for many years an active and valuable member of the
Council.

In pursuance of a resolution passed at the meeting on Feb. 2nd, —
"That this Society should unite with the Society of Antiquaries and
the Camden Society in making a representation to the Judge of her
Majesty's Court of Probate of the inconvenience sufi'ered by authors
under the present restriction upon the gratuitous access to Wills, and
in a Petition that free access to those documents for purely literary
purposes be extended at the Chief Probate Court, and allowed at the
Local Probate Courts," — Mr. Bbailsford read the following corres-
pondence : —

" To the Right Honourahle Sir James Rannen, Knt., Judge of

Her Majesty's Court of Prolate.

"The Memorial of the Eoyal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain

and Ireland.

" Sheweth, — That the advantages which have resulted to historical,
genealogical and biographical literature through the liberality of your
predecessors, judges of the Court of Probate, in allowing to historical
students free access to Wills proved in the Prerogative Court of Canter-
bm-y before the year 1700, without payment of fees, are conspicuous
in the greater degree of accuracy in works of those classes. Many
years have elapsed since this privilege was first granted, and it
appears to your memorialists that the time has come when its exten-
sion may be granted with corresponding public advantages to literary
students. Your memorialists, therefore, respectfully beg that you
will be pleased to take the subject into your favourable consideration,
and they venture to hope that you will see fit to take such steps, and
give such orders, as will insure access, for purely literary purposes, to
all Wills proved and Administrations granted, prior to the end of the



190 PROCEEDINGS AT MEETINGS OF

reign of King George II in the Chief Court of Probate and also in the
District Courts, the documents in whichlatter are scarcely less valuable
for literary purposes than those in the former, whilst reference to them
is barred by so much expense as to render them almost inaccessible for
the purposes above-mentioned.

(Signed) " TALBOT DE MALAHIDE.

''Feb. 16th, 1877."

"The Probate Court, Westminster,

"Feb. 21st, 1877.
" My Lord, — I am directed by Sir James Hannen to acknowledg3
the receipt of the memorial of the Eoyal Archajological Institute of
Great Britain and Ireland bearing your lordship's signature, and
dated the 16th inst., and to state that Sir James Hannen considers
that the period during which wills are permitted to be examined for
literary purposes may properly be extended from a.d. 1700 to a.d.
1760, and that Sir James will give directions accordingly.

" I am, my lord,

' ' Your obedient Servant,
(Signed) " JAMES C. HANNEN,

" Secretary.''^
" To the Eight Honble.

" The Lord Talbot de Malahide, President," &c., &c.

On the motion of Mr. Octavius Morgan, seconded by Mr. C. S.
Greaves, a cordial vote of thanks was passed to Sir James Hannen
for his compliance with the recj^uest set forth in the memorial.

Mr. Hartsiioene read " Some Observations upon the Venus di
Medici and the Works of NoUekens," which will be printed in a
future number of the " Jourual."

Mr. Oldfield spoke at some length upon the early sources of Greek
art. He alluded to the first introduction of the nude figure by the
preference of the people of Cnidos for such a statue of Venus by
Praxiteles, a draped Venus by the same artist being chosen by the
people of Cos. The idea of the Venus di Medici seemed to have been
derived from the statue at Cniclos, but each of the works of Praxiteles
were frequently copied. With regard to the fancy that the Medicean
Venus was the model of the height and proportions of a female figure,
the Greeks had no such canon of excellence ; but seven feet, the height
of the Apollo Belvedere, and of the Venus of Milos, had been distin-



Online LibraryBritish Archaeological Association. Central CommitThe Archaeological journal (Volume v. 34) → online text (page 18 of 54)