British Archaeological Association. Central Commit.

The Archaeological journal (Volume v. 34) online

. (page 9 of 54)
Online LibraryBritish Archaeological Association. Central CommitThe Archaeological journal (Volume v. 34) → online text (page 9 of 54)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


states, both extremely fine and possessing the additional interest
of having been worked on in pencil by Rembrandt's own hand.

Rembrandt's Mill, probably the richest impression existing of
this plate.

A AYoMAN IN A Large Hood, AVilson o.53, two impressions.
Charles Blanc calls this "La femme do Rembrandt malade ;"
the second impression worked on in bistro b}^ tlie master.

St. Francis Praying, second state.

The "Wom-VN with the Arrow, an impression of great excellence.

From the Collection of R. S. Holford, Esq. —

Rembrandt in Turned -up Hat and Embroidered Mantle, a most
interesting and rare impression, with Rembrandt's name and
age written in pencil by himself.

Rembrandt in an Oval, first state, the uncut plate, the only
impression of this state in private hands.

Great Jewish Bride, first state.

A Painter Drawing from a Model, first state, unicj[ue.

View of OMv.Ui, an unequalled impression .

John Cornelius Sylvius, first state. I have seen no impression
at all equal to this in any collection. Wilson described it as the
finest known.

The Burgomaster Six, second and third states.

Ephraim Bonus, first and second states.

" The Hundred Guilder," first state.

Village near the High Road ; or. The Three Cottages, first,
second and third states.

The series of small landscapes ; first and second states.



86 THE ETCHED WORK OF EEMBEANDT.

Ouii LoKD BEPOiiE Pilate, first state.

PoKTKAiT OF CorPENOL, Wilsoii's secoud state. All these im-
pressions were of the very greatest beauty and in splendid
condition, among the richest gems of the exliibition.

From the Collection of R. P. Roupell, E^q., Q.G. —

A Man Meditatikg, in EcmLrandt's dark manner ; this and an
C(pially fine impression from the same plate, from tlio collection
of J. Webster, Esq., were hung together. Mr. Webster also
sent two rich impressions of the (St. Jekojie, in the dark manner,
first and second states.

J'Yoii the Collection of the late Daiihy Seijmour^ Enq. —

The first and second states of Jesus Chbist E>;tomijbd, very fine.

A superb portrait, in oil, of Rembrandt by himself, was kindly
contributed by Lord Fortarlincjton ; and a grisaille of the "Ecce
Homo," the design for the etching, by Lady Eaatlalce.

Visitors who acquainted themselves with the treasures displayed,
Avill think tliis list far too short. I am aware that many are omitted
which miglit well have been introduced, but to enumerate them all
would have unduly lengthened this notice. Probably such a collection
has not been seen before or will ever be brought together again.



©n'gi'nal Documeuls,

Communicated by JOSEPH BAIN, F.S.A. Scot.

"A tresnoLle Eoy Dengleterre Sire Edward qe Dieu le garde
mustrent Jolian Le peiutiir do l5lida Et Beatrice sa fFeme qe eneontre
la ])ees nostre Seigneur le Roy vint Stefue Attej-ate do Blid le iour
de la Seint Marie ]\Iagdalene qe drein fat a la meseun le auaunt dit
Johan et luy dona saut et lay prist par le col et luy lia de sou
(■haperoLiu et a poy luy avoyt estrangie. et vile3'uement luy detira.
Yint la femme le auauutd [it] Jolian, beatrice par noun, et deliuera
son baroun de les mains auauntdit esteuene. Et autre forth vint
Stefne auaunt nomee le Lundy procliein apres la feste 8[eint Pi] ere
ad uincula et dona saut a beatrice la ffeme auauntdit Johan et male-
ment la batyet et la nafrist perilousen .... plusors lues de son corps
et la mayhema et la lessa com mort. Et estre eestes Esteuene auant
nomee et Roger le keu son frere manacent les auant ditz de vie et de
membre Dunt ly auant dit Johan et beatrice sa femnio prient de
grante et de dreyt le tel trespas pur Dieu et la gratiouse Yirgine
Marie, et de tons seynz et quil pussent viure in pees."

(Xo endorsement).

Tlie above document, supplj'ing contractions, is No. 468.3 of the
MS. collection of Royal Letters, &c., preserved in the Public Record
Office. It affords a curious example of the direct access Avhich in tliose
daj's the liumblest had to the Icing. Blyth in Nottingliamshire was a
well known halting place on the road to the north, and Edward I was
no doubt on one of his numerous journeys on Soots' affairs when this
matter was submitted to him. John the Painter, sitting quietly in his
house on S. Mary Magdalene's day (22nd Julj'), possibly intending to
go to church, was violently assaulted, half strangled, and villanously
handled by Steven Attej^ate his neighbour. His good wife Beatrice
delivered him, and probabl}- drove Stephen off the premises with some
houseliold implement. The latter, however, nourished his wrath for
ten daj's or so, and on the Monday after the Peast of S. Peter ad
Vincula (1st Aug.) assaulted in a most ungallant manner poor Beatrice,
and, inflicting many wounds on her body, maimed and left her for dead.
Moreover he and his brother Roger le Keu also threatened the luckless
couple with loss of life or member. Quite a case for rcj-al intervention
and swift justice, which was doubtless administered, though no record
appears on tlie petition, which seems in all probability to have been
written by the parson of Blyth on behalf of his aggrieved parishioners.
It is on a small square piece of parchment, mucli browned by age.



Tlio next document, fr(;m the same collection (No. ;328()), is from tlie
Prior and Chapter of S. jNlalo un a different subject. Supplying con-
tractions, it runs thus : —

" Serenissimo Principi . . . . E . . dei gi-acia illustris.simo Regi An-
glornni . . Duci Aquitanie et Gaieusiura principi . . Prior et Capitulum



88 ORTOTNAL DOnTT]\TENTR.

ac Officialis Sauoti Maclonis de insula. . iSalutem et paratam in omnibus
voluntatem ad sua beneplacita et mandata . . Cum intelleximus quod
vestri preposeti seu justiciarii de Portemue in Auglia nauem Sancti
Marie de Sancto Maclonio de insula cuius nauis Guillermus Aubant
riiiis Maeloniensis lator presencium est magister arrestauerunt et
detineant arrestatam cum vinis existentibus in eadem pro eo quod ipsi
asserunt ut intelleximus quod nauis et vina predicta sunt liominura
vestrorum de Vasconia seu pars aliqua eorundem Nouerit vestra
serenitas veneranda quod dicta nauis est dicti magistri et quorundam
aliorum ciuium macloniensium. Nee in ipsa naui liabet aliquis de
Vasconia partem ullam. Et de dictis vinis sunt sex dolia et due pipe
dicti magistri , . decem dolia Nicliolai pillart . . viginti duo dolia et
due pipe Iladulplii gonchaii . . unum dolium 8tephani lestoucliie . .
uuum dolium ioliannis do ( "apella . . unum dolium Eadulplii Dinandi
. . uiuim dolium Guillermi Lalwe . . unum dolium Alani Oueu . .
unum dolium iohannis ricliardi . . unum dolium iordani burlion . .
due dolia iohannis Angliei . . duo dolia iohannis .Tahennis . unum
dolium Pel rote Eanulphi . . unum dulium robini de Paluel civium
macloniensium Et quatuor dolia Eadulplii iouuin et ioh.annis eueni de
dolensi dj'ocesi nautarum dicte nauis de quibus vinis nichil debent
alicui Vasconi dicti ciues ne predicti magister Nicholaus Pillart
Eadulphus Geuchon, Stephanus lestouehie Johannes de Capella
radulphus Dinandi Guillermus Lalote Alanus Cucu Johannes Eichardi
et Jordanus burlou nobis asseruerunt per sua iuramenta quae super
hiis recepimus ab eisdom Et ut accepimus a pluribus aliis fidedignis
quibus fidem super hiis adhibemus Eesiduum vero dietorum sunt ut
nobis datum sint intclligere quorundam burgensium de Sancto iacobo
de beuron D^'oeesis Abbrinceusis hominum illustrissimi prineipis
Domini Eegis Francie et quorundam burgensiun\ de Dinanno Mae-
loniensis Dyocesis hominum nobilis viri domini Ducis britannie unde
serenitatem vestram in Domino commendantes Eequirimus et Eoganuis
quatinus de Serenitati vestro plaeeat dictam nauem et vina j)redicta
saltem ciuium macloniensium 2:)redictorum facere liberari . . Datae
apud Sanetuni Maclonium de insula Alannie et in remotis agente
Eeuerendo in Christo Patre et domino Macloniensi episcopo die
Veneris ante festum Purificacionis Beate Marie Virginis anno
Domini M" CC" octogesimo non[o]." (No endorsement).

This is written in a fine clear hand, the ink a good deal faded
towards the end. The St. Mary of St. Malo, William Aubant, master,
had been captured by the Portsmouth authorities under the belief that
she and her cargo of wines were the property of Edward's men of
Gascony. The Prior and Chapter state the contrary, and give a
minute list of the shippers, chielly citizens of St. Malo. The master,
who is the bearer of the letter to the king, and two of the sailors, are
also shippers, The name of one of these men, "John the son of
Evan," shows his Breton origin. Saint James de Beuvron, some of
the burgesses of which are said to bo part owners of the wine, is a
border town of Novmaudy on the Breton frontier, and as a fortress
played an important part in the war which saw the English expelled
from that province. According to a charter cited by Mabillon, tho
castle was built by William the Conqueror in 1067. It stood on the
(ulgn of a steep and narrow valley, and some remains of walls and
bastions still attest its strength. Dinan, an ancient seat of the dukes
of Brittany, is better known.



IPrureetiings; at i^eetings of fte Eopal Strrlj^ological

lUfltltUtt

1876.

In consequence of tlie serious illness of the Honorary Secretary,
]\[r. Burtt, no IMeetings wore held in November and December, by
order of the Council.



VOL. xxsiv.



Ci)e Hate J^r. JSuvtt

Among the many losses the Archa-ological Institute has "been called
of late to sustain there is not one which will have been more widely
felt and more sincerely deplored than that of its late Honorary
Secretary, Mr. Joseph Burtt. From his long connection with the
Institute, of which he was a valued member, and contributor to its
proceedings for some years before he entered upon his official engage-
ment as Secretary, few were more completely identified with our body,
and none have ever laboured with greater diligence, and more zeal
and intelligence for its welfare. Becoming Honorary Secretary in
1862, Mr. Burtt was for yeai-s, as has been truly said, "the prime
mover and guiding spirit" in all the operations of the Society. The
arrangements for the monthly meetings, and the difficult task of
securing suitable memoirs for reading, and objects of interest for
exhibition, devolved upon him, and like all that he undertook, how-
ever wearisome, was performed with untiring energy and never-failing
good humour.

To Mr. Burtt also, after failure of health compelled the late
Mr. Albert AVay to retire from that duty, was year by year entrusted
the responsible and anxious task of organizing and carrying out the
Annual Congresses, and to his tact and courtesy, together with his
clear head and calm business-like habits, the success of' these gather-
ings has been mainly due. Few could have executed the preliminary
duty of visiting the proposed place of meeting, stimulating the languid,
encouraging the desponding, and awakening a general interest in the
coming visit of the Institute, with so much delicacy and judgment as our
lamented friend. The wi-iter of this notice has on several occasions been
associated with Mr. Burtt in the correspondence and other arrangements
for the Annual Meeting, as well as in carrying these arrangements
into effect, and he can truly say that he never knew one with whom
his unfailing good sense and good nature made it more pleasant to
Avork, and who impressed one more with the sense of earnest determi-
nation and hopeful courage. In the face of all difficulties, Mr. Burtt's
resolve was that each meeting as it came should be a success ; nor was
ho ever greatly disappointed.

During Mr. Albert Way's gradually failing health, the task of
editing the Journal of the Institute was entrusted to Mr. Burtt, who
became more and more responsible for it, until idtimately the whole
burden devolved upon him. His untiring energy found a congenial
exercise in bringing up the arrears of the publication, and making it
increasingly worthy of the Society, -whoso oi'gan it was. In this
Mr. Burtt was ably seconded by several leading members of tho



THE LATE MR. BURTT. 91

Institute, and the growing excellence of the Journals during the two
or three years preceding his decease was most marked. Another
very laborious work undertaken by him, in addition to his other
labours, was the preparation of the index to the volumes of the
" Arclifeologieal Journal," from its commencement. He was engaged
upon this when his fatal ilhiess began. It is satisfactory to be able
to state that our lamented friend's unfinished work has been taken
up by the able liands of Sir John Maclean, and will, it is hoped, be
before very long in tlie hands of the Subscribers. Tliis Index will
show how largely the Journal has been indebted to Mr. Burtt's pen.
But his acknowledged contributions only show a small poi'tion of
the labour bestowed by him in working up the I'ough material
furnished by others into a form suitable for appearance in its pages.

Mr. Burtt was also a contributor of arch?eological articles to the
Gentleman^ Magazine and the Athenccum. A paper of his appeared in
the " Archfcologia Cantiana," vol. vi.

The second vohmie of the "Miscellany" published by the Camden
Society contains " the Household Expenses of John of Brabant" (son
of the Duke of Brabant, and husband of Margaret, daughter of
Edward I) and " Thomas and Henry of Lancaster" (sons of the
king's brother, Edmund Earl of Lancaster), in the year 1292-3, from
the original roll in the Cliapter House, from which place the Intro-
duction is dated " Dec. 18.52."

"We have spoken of Mr. Burtt hitherto only in connection with
the Archreological Institute, but it must not be forgotten that his
archaeological reputation was won in another field, before he became
officially connected with our body. Born in 1818, he commenced his
life-work when a lad of foiirteen, under Sir Francis Palgrave in the
Chapter House at Westminster. " Under that able and learned
antifjuary," to cjuote an appreciative notice that appeared shortly after
his death in the Athena?um, "he served his apprenticeship, being
chiefly employed on work connected with the Eecord Commission
until the year 1840, when he was appointed to a clerkship in the
New Record Establishment. He continued his labours for many
years at the Chapter House, arranging and making inventories of the
valuable collection of ancient records formerly stored in that depositor3\
In August 1851 he was promoted to an assistant keepership of the
second class, and was made a first class assistant keeper in June 18.59.
About this time he superintended the removal to the new Record
Office, and the arrangement therein of the vast mass of documents
which had been lying (many of them in a state of disorder) for
centuries in the Old Chapter House." The calendaring of the
Chancery Records of Durham was a task in which he was engaged
for many years in addition to his other official duties.

Mr. Burtt had very few ec[uals as a decipherer of ancient documents.
The writer of this notice made his first personal acc[uaintance with
]\rr. Burtt in this character. He was examining some rolls of Isabella
de Fortibus, connected with her possessions in the Isle of Wight, and
was baffled by some mediaeval contractions. The document was sliewn
to some able palteographists belonging to the office in vain, and the
cry arose, "Send for Burtt, he'll make it out." Mr. Burtt's attendance
was requested, and withoiit a moment's hesitation the words were read
off. On another occasion the writer remembers taking to Mr. Burtt
a dirty crumpled piece of parchment covered with writing by an



92 THE LATE MR. BURTT.

illiterate liand, in pale ink, with the remark " Here's something that I
think will baffle yon." Bnt the apparently illegible document was
speedily deciphered, almost as easily as if it had been written in a
clerkly hand.

Mr. Burtt Avas always most ready to devote his areluxiological and
paloeographical knowledge to the service of others. For some years he
was employed in his private capacity by the Dean and Chapter of
Westminster in examining and describing the muniments connected
with that ancient monastic foundation. He also performed the same
services to a minor extent for the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln
Cathedral. Some of the interesting historical docixments discovered
by him in this latter collection have been printed and ilkistrated in
the pages of this Journal.

Floriculture was Mr. Burtt's favourite recreation. Both at Brixton,
and afterwards at Tulse Hill, he was accustomed to devote his mornings
and evenings to his gaixlen with great success. Chrysanthemums were
his especial hobby, and he took great pride in the varied hues and
perfect forms of his favourites, which he tended and sheltered with
affectionate care.

As a friend and colleague Mr. I'urtt secured the respect and
affection of all with whom he was connected. His well-stored mind,
his genial character, his forgetfulness of self, and readiness to oblige,
endeared him to all who knew him, who feel that his premature
decease has left a gap in the circle of the friends that it will be
impossible ever to fill iip. The loss to the Archaeological Institute of
one who had its interests so zealously at heart, and who laboured so
untiringly and intelligently for their promotion, is incalculable; though
happily not so entirely irreparable as that sustained by his widow and
large family.

E. Y.



Bott'cES of ^rcljaeological Publicatians.

AXXALS OF WIXniCOilP.E AND SUDELEY, hy Emma Dext. London
Murray, 1877.

It is very gi-atifyiug wlien owners of liistoric sites take sucli an
interest in them as has been so lovingly shewn by ISErs. Dent in her
" Annals of Winchcombe and Sudeley." Few places have witnessed
greater vicissitudes than Sudeley Castle. We will not dwell upon the
pre-historic description of the district, and the evidences of Roman
occupation so profusely found on tlie .Sudeley estate, as illustrated by a

Roman villa found on
Wadfield farm in 1863,
the ground plan of
which, together with a
fine pavement, is given
by jNfrs. Dent. Nor will
welinger over the tragic
history of the Saxon
rule in AVinehcombe,
as the capital of the
kingdom of Mercia,
Avhere Ofl'a founded a
nunnery in 787. This
was soon afterwards
superseded by a monas-
tery of the great Bene-
dictine Order, and the
legends, traditions, and
superstitions connected
with its early history
are very pleasantly
related by our author,
who prints, at length,
the life of St. Kenelm,
from the Saxon IMS. in
the Bodleian Library.

The early history- of
SudeleyCastle, in which
our interest more parti-
cularly centres, is very
obscure. It is not men-
tioned in the Domesday
Survey, and hence it
was, probably, one of
the many adulterine
castles erected in the
troublous time of King Stephen. No trace of works so early can
now, however, be found, unless a jiortion of a low embattled tower,
now forming a part of a cellar, be of that date, as it was considered
to be by Sir Gilbert Scott when making a survey of the castle in 18.54.
The number of castles erected for purposes of offence and defence




West \\e\v of Embattled Towtr.



94



NOTICES OF iVr.CTT.EOLOarCAL PUBLICATIONS,



witlxout license during the civil war between the Empress ISIaud and
Stephen was very great, and many of them were dismantled and
destroyed in the following reign. Hence it is not surprising that few
remains of the original Castle of Sudeley now exist.

Mrs. Dent traces the devolution of the Manor of Sudeley from King
Ethelred, who being thereof seized granted it to his youngest daughter
Goda, whose husband, Walter do Nantes, held it "in right of the
King." From the said Walter it descended to his son Ealph, called

"the Earl," whose son Harold
held it at the time of the Domes-
day Survey. From Harold it passed
to his son John, who, by Grace
daughter of William Tracy, had
two sons, Ealph and William.
Ralph succeeded his father at
Sudeley, and William, the younger
son, who assumed from his mother
tlie name of Tracy, was one of the
murderers of St. Thomas (Becket)
Archbishop of Canterbury. Ealph
died in 1192, and was succeeded
by Otuer (usually called Otwell),
his son and heir, who granted
certain landsinBlakepitto Winch-
combe Priory, the charter of which
is preserved in the British Museum
with its seal appendant.^ Otuer,
dying s.p., was succeeded by his
brother Ealph, whose son Ralph
siicceeded him having livery of
siezin in 1!^22. Mrs. Dent favours
us also with the seal of this Ralph,
as appended to a charter also in
the British Museum.-

From the last named Ralph the
castle and manor descended to his
great grandson John de Sudeley,
who died in 1340, leaving by his
wife Alianora (called by Mrs. Dent
" Eleanor") daughter of the Lord
Scales, an only son of his own
name, and two daiighters Joan
and Margery. John died in 1367
s.p., when Thomas Boteler son
of his eldest sister Joan, who had
married AVilliam Boteler of
AVemme, and Margery j'ounger
sister of the aforesaid John, were
foimd to be his nearest heirs.
In the partition of the estates,
the Castle and Manor of Sudeley

1 Sloano Charters xxxiii, 3.
Seal of Ralph de Sudeley. "^ Addl. Charters xx, 39').




Seal of Otuer de Sudeley.





Poi'tmare lower.



NOTICES OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL PUBLICATIONS. 95

fell to the share of Thomas Boteler, who, eveutually, by the death
of liis aunt Margery, became sole heir, but though iuheriting
the Barony ho was never summoned to Parliament. Ealph son of
Thomas and Joan, Mrs. Dent tells us, was one of the most illustrious
owners of the castle. Ho greatly distinguished himself in the French
wars, and held several high offices of state. In 1441 he was, by letters
patent, created Baron Boteler of Sudcley. He rebuilt the castle, chiefly
from spoils taken in the war. Portmare Tower, according to tradition,
derived its name from the French Admiral whom Boteler had made
prisoner, and whose ransom was given to him by the king.

Lord Boteler was also a great benefactor to the neighbouring churches,
and, among other works of charity, rebuilt the church of Wiuchcombe.
He was, however, a stout Lancastrian, and after the result of the battles
of Bamet and Tewkesbury, of course, fell into discredit, and eventually
was obliged, at the demand of King Edward IV, to convey his castle
of Sudeley, which he had with so much affection and cost re-edified,
to certain persons who, the year following, conveyed the castle and
manor together with the advowson of the church, to Richard Duke of
Gloucester. Richard in 1478 exchanged them with the king for the
Castle of Richmond, in Yorkshire, but on his accession to the crown
they again fell into his hands. After the battle of Bosworth they
passed to Henry, Earl of Richmond, and were granted to his uncle
Jaspar Tudor, upon whose death in 1497 s.p., they again reverted to
the crown.

Mrs. Dent refers to the great festival in dedication of the Monastery
of AVinchcombe by King Kenulf when she supposes St. Kenelm
was baptized, and when Keuulph at the high altar liberated Eadbert,
who being of royal blood had become professed, but had left his
cell and assumed the crown of Kent, and had been defeated and
taken prisoner by the King of Mercia. On the morrow after the
dedication there was a great hunting party, and according to tradition
the king finally took leave of his guests on Cleve Down, where a stone
was erected to commemorate the event. On this stone Camden says
thex'e was a rude inscription on the upper side, and Mrs. Dent states
that there is now an inscription on the same side, " seemingly not long
since cut with a tool, in Roman characters, called ' Huddlestone's
Table.' " She does not, however, show any connection between the
Huddlestoue family and this district. This we can suppl}-.

The manor and castle of Sudeley, &c., being in the hand of
Henry YII by the death of his uncle, by letters patent, dated 4 Sept.
1505,' a grant was made to John Huddleston, Knight of the Royal
Body, for life of the manor and lordship of Sudeley, together with
the advowson of the church, and lands, &c., in Sudeley, Todryngtou,
Stanley, Grette Gretton, Catesthorp, and Newnton in co. Gloucester,
described as late the property of Ralph Boteler and Alice his wife,
and of a rent of one hundred shillings per annum, payable to the king
for the herbage and pannage of Sudeley ]'ark ; also all the posses-
sions of the king within the said manor and villes (the Castle
of Sudeley excepted) with all courts and all other privileges. He
was also exonerated from the repair and support of the castle,



Online LibraryBritish Archaeological Association. Central CommitThe Archaeological journal (Volume v. 34) → online text (page 9 of 54)