California Academy of Sciences.

History and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 3) online

. (page 1 of 23)
Online LibraryCalifornia Academy of SciencesHistory and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 3) → online text (page 1 of 23)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


THE



HISTOEY AND ANTIQUITIES

OP

ROXBURGHSHIRE

AMD

ADJACENT DISTRICTS,

Jfrom % must Demote |Jerioi> ta tlje |)rmni ^intf.



BY ALEXANDER JEFFREY,

AUTHOR OF THE "GUIDE TO THE ANTIQUITIES OF THE BORDER," &C.



VOL. III.



EDINBURGH: THOMAS C. JACK,

92, PRINCES STREET.



ANDREW JACK, PRINTER CLYDE STREET EDINBURGH.



PEEFACE.



WHEN the author closed the second volume, he
hoped that the work would be concluded in this
one; but notwithstanding all his efforts to do so,
he has only been able to complete the district of
Kelso a district so rich and full of interest, that it
was with great difficulty the important materials
with which it abounds were condensed within the
narrow compass of the present volume. He there-
fore trusts that, under the circumstances, the exten-
sion of the work to another volume, with the view
of including a great mass of valuable matter with-
out which the work would be imperfect will meet
with the approval of subscribers and the public.

To the Eev. James Jarvie, Kelso, the author is
indebted for valuable information in regard to the
modern history of Kelso.

The concluding volume will be published in the
course of the next year.

A. J.

JEDBURGH, September, 1859.



2202171



CONTENTS OF VOL. III.



I. INTRODUCTION.

PAGE

1. Old names of the country lying along the Forth,

and from Tweed to Avon ... ... ... 1

2. Between 635 and 1020, churches in Teviotdale and

Lothian belonged to Lindisfarne ... ... 2

3. After 1020, the Bishop of St. Andrews assumed

jurisdiction ... ... ... ... 3

4. Boundary of the episcopates of Glasgow and St.

Andrews ... ... ... ... 3

5. The people inhabiting north side of Tweed ... 4

6. Names of places on north and south of river ... 5

7. Druidical remains on north of Tweed ... ... 5

II. KELSO.

1. Etymology of its name ... ... ... 6

2. Situation of the town and scenery around it ... 8

3. The town and streets ... ... ... 10

4. The Town-hall and Market-place ... ... 11

5. Bridge-street ... ... ... ... 13

6. Havannah, or Ednam House ... ... ... 16

7. Abbey-close, Butts, and Kirkstyle ... ... 17

8. MillofKelso ... ... ... ... 19

9. Roxburgh-street, Cunzie-nook, Horse-shoe, Chalk-

heugh, and Windy Goul ... ... ... 21

10. Approaches to the town, roads, bridges, and femes 23

11. Town formed part of regality of Abbey v ... 29

12. Site of burgh, burgh records and statutes, whipmen 30

13. Markets and trade of the town ... ... 35

14. Literature, Chalkheugh library, newspapers and

reading-r6oms ... ... ... ... 37

15. The schools of the town 39



VI CONTEXTS.



16. The manor of Kelso and Abbey ... ... 40

First notice of the manor the boundaries thereof
governed by a provost Wester Kelso Fair-
cross first settlement of monks at Selkirk, at
Kelso benefits conferred on a district by foun-
dation of abbey property of the monks in flocks
and herds, in lands and fisheries right of the
monks to a tenth of all the bucks and does taken
by king's huntsmen- skins of animals tradition
of Northumberland as to monks visiting Delavel's
kitchen monks the early bankers they enjoyed
wardship of heirs grants made to the abbey for
interment in the cemetery the monks exporters
the property of the monks in lands and churches
in the counties of Selkirk, Berwick, Peebles,
Lanark, Dumfries, Ayr, and Edinburgh colonies
of monks sent from Kelso revenues of house.

17. Confirmation Charter of Malcolm IV. ... ... 355

18. Annals of the Abbey and Town ... ... 67

Of the Abbey. Abbots Herbert, Ernold, John,
Osbert interdict by Pope Alexander III., its
form Geoffrey, Richard de Cave, Henry, Richard
Maunsel, Hugh de Maunsel, Robert de Smal-
hame, Patrick, Henry de Lambeden, Richard,
Walron, Thomas de Durham, William de Alyn-
crom, William de Dalgernock, William, Patrick,
William, Allan, Andrew Stewart, Thomas Ker,
James Stewart, commendator, Duke of Guise,
commendator, Sir John Maitland, commendator,
BothwelL Of the Tmm.lwo of Shrewsbury's
captains burn Kelso in 1522 next year town
and monastery burnt by Dacre Duke of Nor-
folk burnt town and abbey Bowes and Laiton's
visit to it, 1544 next year the Earl of Hertford
destroyed town and abbey garrison of Wark
ravaged the town Queen Mary at Kelso, where
she slept two days bond signed at Kelso to put
down Border thieves- parties to it Earls of
Angus and Marr, the Master of Glammis at
Kelso joined by Both well, Home, Cessford, and
Coldingknowes, and barons of Teviotdale town
of Kelso fined 2000 merks town destroyed by
an accidental fire in 1645 Montrose at Kelso
same year in 1715 Scottish rebels at Kelso
persons of the surname of Kelso.



CONTENTS. Vll

III. FLEURS.

PAGE

1. The palace of the Duke of Koxburghe, its situation,

name, and scenery around it ... ... 87

2. Fair-cross, origin of the name ... ... 88

3. Woods around Fleurs ... ... ... 89

4. The family of Ker ... ... ... ... 90

5. Bond between the Scotts and Kers ... ... 93

6. Sir Eobert Ker, first Earl of Koxburghe ... 98

7. Competition between Brigadier-General Walter Ker

of Littledean and Sir James Norcliffe Innes for
the honours and estates of Roxburgh ... 104

8. The House of Innes ... ... ...105

IV. EDNAM.

1. Etymology of the name ... ... ... 107

, 2. Charter by Thorlongus of church of Ednain to the

monks of Durham ... ... ... 108

3. Description of Ednam ... ... ... 109

4. Property of the monks of Coldingham, Kelso, and

Dryburgh, in Ednam ... ... ... 110

5. Hospital of Ednam ... ... ... Ill

6. The family of Edmonstone, origin and end of the

race ... ... ... ... ... 112

7. Wych elm in brewery garden ... ... 113

8. Ednam the birth-place of Captain Cook, notices of

family ... ... ... ... ... 114

9. James Thomson, the poet, was he bom in Ednam 1 115
10. William Dawson, the agriculturist ... ... 115

V. HENDERSIDE.

1. Situation ... ... ... ... ... 116

2. Greater part of estate included in the old barony of

Ednam ... ... ... ... ... 116

3. Mansion of Henderside Park ... ... ...116

4. The estate was acquired by one Ormston, and was

carried by marriage to John Waldie ... ... 117

5. Lineage of the family ... ... ... 118

VI, NEWTON AND NENTHORN.

1. These two manors the property of the Morvilles
during 12th century, at whose death in 1196 the
manors passed to his only sister, Helena, wife of
the lord of Galloway ... ... ... 118



Vlll CONTENTS.

PAOE

2. When Sir James Douglas became proprietor of these

manors ... ... ... ... ... 119

3. Grants made to the church ... ... ... 120

4. Newton-Don House; its site the woods around

house beautiful weeping birches near garden
woolly-leafed poplar nurses an ivy yew-trees
wych elms remarkable thorn-trees for size and
beauty the river Eden trap dyke across river
melancholy incident ... ... ...121

VII. STITCHEL.

1. Etymology of the name ... ... ... 123

2. Situation and view from the hill ... .... 124

3. Barony of Stitchell part of barony of Gordon ... 124

4. Origin of the family of Gordon and its descendants 125

5. Nicolas de Sticcenil ... ... ... 125

6. The church of Stitchel ... ... ...126

7. Persons who bore the surname of Stitchel ... 127

8. George Eedpath minister of Stitchel ... ... 127

VIII. HOME.

1. Etymology of name and situation ... ... 128

2. The manor of Home formed a part of the territory

of the Earl of Dunbar ... ... ...128

3. The manor of Home was given by Patrick, Earl of

Dunbar, as a marriage gift to his daughter Ada,
on her marriage with her cousin, William of
Greenlaw ... ... ... ... 129

4. Assumed name of the manor as a surname after

marriage ... ... ... ... 129

5. Dispute between Home and monastery settled ... 130

6. Castle of Home notices thereof ... ... 131

7. Badge of the Homes ... ... ... 133

IX. SMALHAM.

1. Etymology of name ... ... ... 133

2. The manor of Smalham ... ... ... 133

3. The family of Olifard the first owners origin of the

name of Oliver he was Justiciary of Lothian
grants to Dryburgh Abbey and the house of Soltre 134

4. Walter of Moray succeeded Oliver in the barony ... 135

5. William Earl of Douglas acquired the barony in

1451 ... ... .. 360



CONTENTS. IX

PAGE

6. Hospital of Smalham ... ... ... 136

7. Edward I. was at Smalham ... ... ... 136

8. Persons who bore the surname of Smalham ... 137

9. The mother of Captain Cook resided in Smalham 137
10. Smalham Crags ... ... ... ... 138

X. WRANGHAME.

1. Situation of this place ... ... ... 139

2. Residence of the nurse of St. Cuthbert ... ... 139

3. Legend of St. Cuthbert ... ...139

XI. MAKERSTON.

1. Situation and extent of the barony ... ... 140

2. The mansion of Makerston, and scenery, trees, &c.,

in park ... ... ... ... ... 141

3. Etymology of its name ... ... ... 141

4. Walter Corbet proprietor about the middle of 12th

century ... ... ... ... ... 142

5. The Macdougals next proprietors of barony, 1370 144

6. Origin and history of the family Appendix . . . 360

7. Notices of the family ... ... ... 145

8. Property of Kelso monks in barony ... ... 150

9. Camp on left bank of the Tweed above Mackerston 150

10. Charterhouse ... ... ... ... 150

XII. MANOR OF ROXBURGH.

1. Extent of manor and possessions thereof in early

times ... ... ... ... ... 151

2. Friars, the seat of the baronial court ... ... 152

3. Remarkable trysting-tree at Friars ... ... 153

4. Is any part of the peninsula in Kelso parish? .. 154

5. Inquiry as to the site of the old church of Rox-

burgh ... ... ... ... ... 157

6. Church and graveyard old tombstones grave of

Edie Ochiltree ... ... ... ... 158

7. Village of Roxburgh ; Wallace's Tower ... ... 159

XIII. SUNLAWS.

1. Situation ... ... ... ... ... 160

2. The estate formerly belonged to the family of Ker

of Greenhead ... ... ... ... 161

3. It now belongs to William Scott Ker of Chatto ... 161

4. Lineage of the family ... ... ... 161

5. Prince Charles slept a night at the tower of Sunlaws 162



X CONTENTS.

XIV. RINGLEY HALL.

PAGE

1. Etymology of the name its situation description

of fort ... ... ... ... ... 162

2. Traditions regarding it and Rutherford ... ... 184

3. Tumulus in front of Mackerston House, its appear-

ance and extent ... ... ... ... 165

4. Trows etymology of name description of the Tors 167

5. Legend of the Church of Rome as to St. Cuthbert's

corpse floating down the river in a stone boat ... 168

6. Stockstrother ... ... ... ... 362

XV. FAIRNINGTON.

1. First appearance of barony in record during 12th

century ... ... ... ... ... 170

2. Notices of the early proprietors Burnards ... 171

3. The Rutherfurds possessed it about the beginning

of the 17th century ... ... ... 172

4. Tradition of the Bloody Well ... ... ...173

5. Baron Rutherfurd, notices of ... ... ... 174

6. Notice of Major Rutherfurd Burns visited him in

1787 ... ... ... ... ... 176

7. Downlaw ruins of an observatory on its summit

Stanan Stane, near Watling-street, on farm of
Heriotsfield Harlaw traces of an old ditch re-
ferred to in charter of the 13th century ... 176

8. Hospital of Fairnington; its site belonged to

bishop of Glasgow in 1186 grants to chapel, &c. 177

XVI. BARONY OF MAXWELL.

1. First appears in record during the days of David I.,

by whom the territory was granted to his follower
Maccus, who conferred on it his name ... 178

2. Situation and extent of the barony ... ... 179

3. Notices of the family of Maxwell ... ... 180

4. Bridgend purchased by James Douglas from Ker of

Greenhead the name changed to Springwood
Park notices of the family of Douglas lineage
of the family ... ... ... ... 183

5. Situation of the old mansion of Bridgend ... 185

6. Description of the mansion of Springwood Park, and

scenery around the woods young trysting-tree
remarkable poplar at Maxwellheugh, 92 feet high
and 32 feet 6 inches in girth ... ... 186

7. Maisondieu, or hospital ... ... ... 187



CONTENTS. XI

PAGE

8. Town of Maxwellheugh tumulus within the

grounds of Pinnaclehill view of, from the ridge

to the west of town ... ... ... 188

9. Softlaw notices of its early proprietors ... 189

10, Church of Maccuswel existed before 1159 it

was dedicated to St. Michael the graveyard ... 190

11. St. Thomas' Chapel, where situated? ... ... 191

XVII. SPBOUSTON.

1. Etymology of name it is first seen in charter of

David the early proprietors granted by William
the Lion to Sir Eustace de Vesci, who married his
daughter ... ... ... ... ... 193

2. Eobert Bruce conferred the barony on his son

Robert David II. gave it to Thomas Murray
William Earl of Douglas obtained it in 1451 it
was afterwards granted to Sir Kobert Ker of
Cessford ... ... ... ... ... 193

3. Property of monks of Kelso in Sprouston, and by

whom granted ... ... ... ... 197

4. Village of Sprouston ... ... ... ... 198

5. King and Queen of England at Sprouston for

several days in 1256 ... ... ... 199

6. Lands of Easter Softlaw ... ... ...199

XVIII. REDDEN.

1. Situation of the territory ... ... ... 199

2. Was the property of the monks of Kelso notices

of the town and grange of Redden David II.
erected it into a royalty in favour of monks ... 200

3. Reddenburn ... ... ... ... 201

XIX. HAUDEN.

1. Manor granted by William the Lion to Bernard, an

Anglo-Norman ... ... ... ... 201

2. Notices of the family assumed Hauden as a sur-

name ... ... ... ... ... 202

3. Estate now property of Sir William Elliot of Stobs 202

4. Property of monks in Hawden ... ... 203

5. Haddenstank ... ... ... ... 204

XX. LEMPETLAW.

1. Barony granted by David I. to Richard Germyn ... 204

2. Sir Adam Quinton got Wellflat as a marriage portion

with Floria, daughter of Germyn ... ... 205



Xll CONTENTS.

PAGE

3. James III. conferred the barony on Walter Scott of

Kirkurd ... ... ... ... ... 205

4. Geoffrey of Lempetlaw was chamberlain to William

the Lion ... ... ... ... ... 205

5. The barony was originally a separate parish grave-

yard still used the church, which was the pro-
perty of the house of Soltre, is not in existence . . . 205

XXI. LINTON.

1. Etymology of name Linton mistaken by previous

writers for Linton Roderick in Peebleshire . . . 206

2. The barony was the property of William Sumerville

in 1160 origin of the family of Sumerville
Linton first estate in Scotland notices of the
family

3. Legend of Linton

4. Monument over the church-door remarks thereon 215

5. The skull of a beaver and the remains of an ox, bos

primogenius, found in Linton loch ... ... 217

6. Barony now possessed by Robert Elliot of Harwood

and Clifton ... ... ... ... 223

7. Graden, Fauside, and Greenlees ... ... 224

8. Blakelaw Thomas Pringle, the author of " The

Excursion," born here beautiful view of vale of
Tweed and Merse from Blakelaw ridge . . . 225

9. Old town of Linton ... ... ... ... 226

10. Church of Linton tumulus of sand on which it is

built legend thereof ... ... ... 227

11. Font of the church used by a blacksmith to hold

small coals ... ... ... ... 228

XXII. YETHAM.

1. Etymology of name ... ... ... ... 229

2. Early history of the territory property of the

monks of Kelso in it Colpinhopes ... ... 230

3. Chapel of St. Ethelrida, where situated tradition

regarding it ... ... ... ... 232

4. In 1375, Yetham the property of the family of

Macdougal of Makerston ... ... ... 233

5. James IV. granted to Sir Robert Ker the lordship

of Yetham ... ... ... ... 234

6. William Bennet was owner in 1647 ... ... 234

7. Halterburnhead origin of name, &c. ... ... 235

8. The church and graveyard of Yetham ... ... 235



CONTENTS. Xlll

PAGE

9. The town of Yetham notices thereof ... ... 237

10. Shrovetide at Yetham football, &c. ... ...239

11. Christmas festivities ... ... ... 241

12. Account of the gipsy tribes ... ... ... 241

13. Barony of Town Yetham ... ... ...258

14. Town Yetholm ... ... ... ...261

15. CHERRYTREES and Thirlestane ... ... 262

16. King Edward at Yetholm for two days ... ... 264

17. Persons who bore the surname of Yetholm ... 265

XXIII. MOW.

1. Etymology of name boundaries and extent of

territory ... ... ... ... ... 265

2. Territory originally formed part of Northumbria . . . 267

3. First owner named Liulf Uctred, his son, suc-

ceeded, and then the lands passed to Eschena de
Londiniis, called Lady Molle she married Walter
the first Steward of Scotland origin of the family
persons who followed Walter to Scotland
charter of Malcolm in favour of Walter . . . 269

4. Anselru of Whitton possessed part of Molle . . . 273

5. Lands in territory belonging to monks of Kelso

monks had a grant of the forest in Molle . . . 273

6. Property of the house of Melrose in territory . . . 278

7. The monks of Paisley ... ... ...279

8. The canons of Jedburgh ... ... ...280

9. Lands of Robert de Croc in territory surname of

Lindsay ... ... ... ... ... 280

10. Cocklaw powerful castle on sources of Beaumont

besieged by the English in 1401 it belonged to

the family of Gledstones ... ... ... 282

11. Town of Molle and church of Molle ... ... 285

12. Woods of Molle 289

XXIV. MOREBOTTLE.

1. Etymology situation and extent of territory its

early history ... ... ... ... 290

2. The family of Corbet appears to have possessed the

lands in 12th century ... ... ... 291

3. Town of Morebottle church of Morebottle pro-

phecy in regard to it dedicated to St. Lawrence
disputes with the monks of Melrose ... 293

4. Dissenting meeting-house Mrs. Morrison intro-

duced spinning-wheel into Morebottle ... 295



XIV CONTENTS.

PAGE

5. WHITTON etymology, situation, extent, and boun-

daries was an ancient possession of the family

of Kiddel ... ... ... 297

6. Fort of Whitton ... ... ... ... 298

7. PRIMSIDE granted by Earl Henry, son of David I.,

to Ridel believed to have been the earliest pos-
session of the family in Scotland ... ... 299

8. CROOKEDSHAWS its situation remarkable bar of

sand at Loch ... ... ... ... 300

9. CLIFTON etymology its early history it belonged

to St. Cuthbert during the seventh century no-
tices thereof ... ... ... ... 302

10. GRUBET etymology doubtful in 12th century pro-

perty of Uctred, who took the surname for the
territory De Vescis were over-lords of this terri-
tory in the 13th century ... ... ... 303

11. WIDEOPEN its situation property of the maternal

uncle of the poet Thomson ... ... ... 305

12. GATESHAW situation and extent belonged origi-

nally to the monks fermed by Kers the family

of Ker of Gateshaw ... ... ...306

13. Corbet House tower of Gateshaw ... ... 307

14. OTTERBURJT, Tofts, Cowbog, Heavyside, Lochside,

and Foumerdean ... ... ... 308

XXV. HOWNAM.

1. Etymology property of Orm during the beginning

of the 12th century origin of name Rasawe the
property of the monks of MeLrose ... ... 310

2. Church of Hunum disputes between bishop of

Glasgow and monks of MeLrose as to titles ... 313

3. Town of Hownam and Hownan Kirk, Capehope, &c. 314

4. Rings legend thereof ... ... ...315

5. CHATTHOU etymology situation notices thereof 316

6. PHILOGAR, Beirhope, Burvanes, Buchtrig, and Over

Whitton ... ... ... ... 317

XXVI. ECKFORD.

1. Etymology situation and extent of old territory of

Eckford ... ... ... ... 320

2. A family of Geoffrey one of the earliest proprietors 321

3. Mowbray acquired it during the reign of William

the Lion lost Cessford in 1316, and Eckford in
1320 .. 322



CONTENTS. XV

PAOB

4 On forfeiture of Mowbray, territory granted by

Robert I. to Walter, steward of Scotland ... 322

5. Moss Tower ... ... ... ... 323

6. Town of Eckford church thereof jugs still to be

seen at the door of church notices of church . . . 324

7. Moss Tower farm Church's oats remarks thereon 324

8. GRAEMSLAW etymology situation and extent

hospital on banks of Cayle ... ... ... 325

9. HAUGHEAD situation property of Hall, called

Hobbie Hall, in 17th century his son, Henry
Hall, commanded at Drumclog and BothweU
Bridge his banner he was taken in company
with Cargill died of his wounds tried after
death remarks on this form of trial, and " Jed-
dart Justice" ... ... ... ... 327

10. Eichard Cameron licensed here by Welsh notices

as to Cameron ... ... ... ... 330

11. PRIEST'S CROWN etymology situation remains

found there in 1857 ... ... ...331

12. CESSFORD barony, a part of the old territory of

Eckford etymology of name situation and ex-
tent the early proprietors of the manor Castle
of Cessford : description thereof besieged by
Surrey in 1523 Hall of Haughead imprisoned in
it a large ash-tree which grew there at the end
of last century ... ... ... ... 333

13. MARLEFIELD lies between the modern baronies of

Eckford and Cessford property of William Ben-
net in the middle of the 17th century ... ... 337

14. Is the scene of the "Gentle Shepherd "laid here? ... 338

XXVII. CAVERTON.

1. Etymology thought to be the Keveronum in the

Inquisitio Davidis ... ... ... ... 340

2. It belonged originally to the celebrated family of

Sulis, of Anglo-Norman race in Northamptonshire
notices of the family family forfeited the barony
in 1320 new grants by Robert I. to Robert, son
of Walter Stewart notices of the barony . . . 342

3. Chapel of Caverton ... ... ... ... 343

4. A tumulus called the Black Dyke ... ... 344

5. MAINHOTTSE formerly included in the territory of

Caverton at one time belonged to the family of
Chatto now property of Ralph. Nisbet ... 345



3tvi CONTENTS.



XXVIII. ORMESTON.

1. Etymology situation description of barony be-

longed first to Orm, the son of Eilar it became
a surname to a family, in the end of the 13th cen-
tury, of Ormeston it continued in the family of
Onneston till 1573, when James Ormston was exe-
cuted for his share in Darnley's murder . . . 346

2. It was then granted to Ker of Cessford it after-

wards belonged to William Elliot to William
Mein- now to the Marquis of Lothian . . . 349

3. Tower and town of Ormeston destroyed by Dacre

and Hertford .. 350



XXIX. HETOX.

1. Etymology its situation the first person who

appears as owner was Alan de Perci notices of
family ... ... ... ... ... 350

2. It belonged to the family of Colville in 1230 it re-

mained with that family till 1509, when it passed
to the Kers it is now property of Sir George
Douglas and William Scott Ker of Chatto
notices of the town of Heton . . 353



HISTOEY AND ANTIQUITIES



ROXBURGHSHIRE, &c.



OF THE DISTRICT OF KELSO.

THIS DISTRICT comprehends, on the north of the
river Tweed, the parishes of Kelso, Makerstoun,
Ednam, Smailholm, and Stitchel ; on the south of
the river, that part of Kelso which formed the old
parish of Maccuswel, and the parishes of Roxburgh,
Sprouston, Yetholm, Morebattle, Linton, and Eck-
ford.

Before entering upon a particular description of
this district, it will be necessary, for the proper
understanding of the subject, briefly to sketch its
ancient history. As already stated in a previous
part of this work, all the country lying along the

VOL. III. B



2 THE HISTOEY AND ANTIQUITIES OF

Forth, and from the Tweed to the Avon, was known
in the age of Bede as Bernicia. In the " Scoto-Irish
Chronicle/' it is named Saxonia. After 843, the
territory acquired from the Saxon settlers, who had
come in on the Romanized Ottadeni and Gadeni
the name of Lothian, which it still bore in 1020,
when it was ceded by Eadulf-Cudel to Malcolm
Ceanmore, the King of Scotland. About 1097, that
part of the district lying along the Tweed, as far up as
the confluence of the Gala and the Lamermoors came
to be known as the MEKSE. In after times, the three
districts, Merse, Lamer moor, and Lauderdale, were
formed into a sheriffwic under the name of Berwick-
shire. At the death of Edgar, in 1107, his brother
Alexander succeeded to the throne, and, by a settle-
ment of the deceased king, his youngest brother,
David, had assigned to him as his appanage all the
territory lying to the south of the Friths of Forth
and Clyde except Lothian. While Alexander reigned
over Scotland and the country on the north of the
Tweed, David enjoyed all Teviotdale and Tweed dale.
It was not till the death of Alexander, in 11 24, that
David, after he became king, was enabled to exercise
jurisdiction over the land to the north of the Tweed.
Between the erection of the bishoprick of Lindis-
farne in 635 and 1020, all the churches in Lothian
and Teviotdale were considered as dependencies of
the see of Lindisfarne and Durham. But when
Lothian was ceded to the Scottish King, the Bishop



ROXBURGHSHIRE, ETC 3

of St. Andrews assumed the ecclesiastical jurisdic-


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Online LibraryCalifornia Academy of SciencesHistory and antiquities of the county of Norfolk (Volume 3) → online text (page 1 of 23)