Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 15 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

his first donations was the gift of one thousand dollars to repair the old
Presbvterian church at Danville, where we listened to orthodox sermons
Avhen college students."

In later years Mr. Swope made a donation of twenty-five thousand dollars
to the same school as a gift for a librar}" building. His private bene-
factions are many, and yet his acts have been so quietly and unostenta-
tiously performed that many of his fellow citizens are not aware of this side
of his nature. Interested always in the welfare of Kansas City, and more
especially in that portion of its population to whom fate seems unkind in
its bestowal of favors, he gave to the city a block of land in Lydia avenue
between Twenty-second and Twenty-third streets, on which has been
erected a commodious hospital for the benefit of orphan children.

More recently he gave to the city the most beautiful tract of over four-
teen hundred acres, called Swope Park. At the time it was worth one hun-
dred and fifty thousand dollars; today it has greatly increased in value and
jis not only the second largest park in the entire country, but is also one
of the mo.<t beautiful. In 1906 an ordinance was passed by the city council
appointing observance of a Thomas H. Swope day as a holiday in all city
departments, and since that time the first Friday in May has been so cel-
ebrated. It has been a matter of intense gratification to Mr. Swope that he
could give to the city, and especially to its poorer residents, this beautiful
park where an outing amid nature's attractions can be enjoyed. In this con-
nection Senator Vest said, ''In these days of greed and selfishness, when



152 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

the whole world is permeated with the feverish pursuit of money, it is re-
freshing to find a millionaire Avho is thinking of humanity and not of
wealth. Tom Swope has made his own fortune and has been compelled to
fight many unscrupulous and designing men, but he has risen above the
SOI did Icve of gain, and has shown himself possessed of the best and highest
motives. Intellectually he has few superiors. The public has never known
his literary taste, his culture, and the love of the good and beautiful. The
world assumes that no man can accumulate wealth without being hard and
selfish, and it is too often the case, but not so Avith Mr. Swope. In these
IDrincely gifts he repays himself with the consciousness of a great unselfish
act."

Mr. Swope has now passed the eighty-first milestone on life's journey.
He maintains his residence in Independence, where amid the honor and
esteem of his fellow citizens he is passing the evening of life. "Without that
quality which leads the individual to greet every one as a valued friend and
thus gain a certain popularity, Mr. Sw^ope nevertheless has the keenest desire
for the welfare and happiness of others and, putting forth practical effort
for good where assistance is most needed, he has been a factor in ameliorat-
ing hard conditions for the unfortunate and supplanting want with comfort.



E. M. AV ALTON.



It has been said that no man has lived in vain W'ho has given to the world
something that is of use to his fellowmen — that under such circumstances
his life may well be termed a success. E. M. Walton therefore justly deserves
to be called a successful man, for as an inventor and manufacturer he is
doing an important work, which is proving not only a source of gratifA'ing
revenue to himself 'but also of substantial benefit to the community. He is
the inventor of the Walton stone machine and is now carrying on business in
the manufacture of concrete stone under the name of the Walton Granolithic
Stone Company.

Born in Meadville, Pcinisylvaiiia, on \hv "ilst of Ahu'ch, 1859, he pur-
sued his education in the public schools there and afterward secured ein])loy-
ment in the lumber camps of Michigan, where he remained until the time of
the great Chicago fire in October, 1871, when he went to that city, where he
was busily engaged in connection with its reconstruction for a period. On his
removal from Chicago to Rockford, Illinois, he became foreman of construc-
tion work for Emerson, Talcott & Company, with whom he continued for four
years. On the expiration of that period he engaged with the Chicago, Burling-
ton & Quincy Railroad as bridge foreman, in which capacity he served for five
years and later bnill the concrete piers for the Illinois Central Railroad across
the Rock river. That contract completed, he went to Nashville, Tennessee,
where he built the plant of the O. I. Lush Manufacturing Company, llie larg-
est screen door factory in the United States. Four years were there passed.



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 153

after -which he tore down the plant and removed it to Leeds, Missouri, where
he operated it for three years.

In 1887 Mr. Walton arrived in Kansas City and became actively con-
nected with concrete work. In 1895 he organized the Walton Cement Com-
pany and cond.ucted biisine&s at hi^ own home at No. 2606 Chestnut street, in
the manufacture of stone wdndow sills, door sills and steps, cement walks and
porches. The new^ enterprise proved successful and the growth of his busi-
ness justified his removal to the corner of Eighteenth and Olive streets, Avhere
he continued until about 1903, when he erected an office at No. 2500 East
Eighteenth street and also a factory. He has since been located there and is
now carrying on business under the name of the Walton Granolithic Stone
Company, which was incorporatd in 1904. They do everything in the con-
crete stone building line, both in manufacture and contract building work.
Mr. Walton erected a flat for C. L. Bliss at Tenth and Brooklyn streets, apart-
ments for Judge McDougall at 2437 Troost avenue, the stone building for the
lumber firm of Lee & Lyman, together with much residence work for C. L.
Bliss, E. W. Hays, W. S. Pontius, and many others. All of the building is
done with concrete stone and ever since he came here he has been manufac-
turing a special design of steps which is unequaled for entrance steps to any
kind of a building. He is now also engaged in the manufacture of the cement
burial vault, built after an invention of his own. He has constructed miles
of cement sidewalk in Kansas City, and while he has done an important work
as a manufacturer and contractor, perhaps the greatest work of his life has
been the invention of the Walton stone machine for the manufacture of
cement blocks.

Mr. Walton advocates the principle that the cementitious properties of
Portland cement are vastly superior in the matter of endurance to that element
in nature which holds the atoms together in natural stone, which accounts for
the wonderful durability of the manufactured product. The same element
that binds the atoms together and defies the disintegrating influences of the
atmosphere also protects it against the ravages of fire; five hundred to six
hundred degrees heat will disintegrate granite and marble, eight hundred to
twelve hundred wdll dissolve or separate the particles of all limestones and
sandstones, while it requires twenty-two hundred degrees Fahrenheit to fuse
concrete. Mr. Walton commenced experimenting with cement in 1884 and
later made stone that today is better than when first exposed to the elements.
Concrete being the only infallible building material and well nigh indestructi-
ble, its economy, permanency and practicability stamp it at once as the coming
and practically exclusive material for all classes of construction. Studying
the processes of cement stone making, Mr. Walton gradually evolved the idea
which resulted in the invention of the Walton granolithic stone machine.

He sought to eliminate the objectionable features of the hollow block
and to produce a machine that embodied the valuable features required, and
as the most essential feature of this kind of construction, the same as in brick
or stone, is the making of a waterproof wall, and having clearly demonstrated
that hollow spaces in a block do not prevent but merely diminish the penetra-
tion of water, and that a continuous w^eb, or a continuous horizontal or vertical



154 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

joint conducts moisture from the outer to the inner surface, and that a greater
amount of air space is required to overcome damj^ness in a wall than is gen-
erally supposed, he gave to it his first attention, and the result is a two-piece
wall con.'^tructed with L-shaped block.-^, the L lapping and forming a natural
tie, bonded together with cement mortar (v.hich is impervious to moisture)
and with air space on both sides and ends, which separates the outer and inner
block, and overcomes the penetration of water through capillary action. His
next experiments were directed along lines of producing a block of greatest
carrying strength, and this he found to be a tamped block molded so as to
carry its load with its tamped side up.

Tamping, he found, produces a block of greater density than by pressure,
as under the tamp the particles of sand are driven into the voids and the block
is made more uniformly solid from top to bottom. Under pressure, bridging
takes place, and the direct pressure does not allow for the shifting of the sand
so as to fill in the voids as perfectly. This with the fact that pressure is
always greatest at the top of the block and becomes less in proportion to the
increased thickness, causes the block to be more porous and of unequal solidity
and of uncertain strength. The next feature of importance was sufficient
length, and width blocks for building purposes, as most of the present make
of blocks necessitated the cutting of the blocks, which defaced the stone and
gave cause for dissatisfaction. The Walton machine can be easily and quickly
adjusted to make blocks of four, eight, twelve, sixteen, twenty, twenty-four
and thirty-two inch lengths, three, four and one-half, six and nine inch
heights, ten, twelve and fourteen feet circles, thirty and forty-five degree
angles. Mr. Walton is now conducting a successful and growing business and
well merits the prosperity that he is now enjoying.

In 1881, at Rockford. Illinois, occurred the marriage of E. M. Walton
and Miss Ida Radford. They have one child, Mrs. Edyth Bennett, of Rocky
Ford, Colorado. When twenty-one years of age Mr. Walton joined the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows at Rockford, Illinois, and has since been loyal
to its teachings. He is also connected with the Modern Woodmen of America,
the Knights of Pythias and Hijaz Temple, No. 19, of the Knights of Khora^-
san, in which he holds the first chair.



LOWELL A. GOODMAN.

Lowell A. Goodman, who is acknowledged an authority concerning the
cultivation of fruit, and so widely acknowledged tb;it he was honored with
the pra-idency of the American Pomological Society, with headquarters at
Kansas City, was l)oni in Micliignn in 1S4."). His father, Alonzo A. Good-
man, a native of ]\Tassachusetts, became a rt'sidenl of Michigan in 1840 and
there turned his attention to general a gi'icnlini'al i)nrsnits and milling,
remaining a resident of the Wolverine state nntil 180."). He then removed
to Kansas City, whei-e be operat.>d in real estate, purchasing and selling




L. A, GOODMAN.



T., . ; . ' "JRK

PUBLIC :.IBHARY

ASTOR, LENOX
TILDfTN F^" 'I i» TIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 157

jDroperty until his death, Avhich occurred in 1893, when he had reached the
advanced age of eighty-one yeans. His wife, who in her maidenhood was
Hannah Reeves, was a native of Ohio.

Reared in Michigan, Lowell A. Goodman pursued a course of civil engi-
neering in the State University at Ann Arbor, completing his studies there
by graduation in 1867. The same year he came to Kansas City as civil engi-
neer for the Kansas City & Fort Scott Railroad Company, and helped lay out
and survey the grade for the construction of the line. He then purchased
sixty acres of land at Fortieth street and Warwick boulevard, in the midst
of which he erected a pleasant residence, while he set out the land to all
kinds of fruit. For twenty years he was engaged in horticultural pursuits
there until the land became very valuable, as the city was built up in that
direction and the property therefore increased greatly in price. He then
laid out his farm in what was known as Grand Avenue Highlands, selling
it for biulding purposes, and it is now adorned with many beautiful homes.

j\Ir. Goodman has never ceased to feel the keenest interest in fruit cul-
ture, nor has he ever ceased to be a student of the science of fruit production.
In fact, he has so continually broadened his knowledge along this line that he
is now regarded as authority upon the subject by many. He planted a large
orchard at Olden, Missouri, and organized the Olden Fruit Company, of How-
ell county, Missouri, Avith Judge J. K. Cravens as president, J. E. Evans as
vice president and L. A. Goodman as secretary and manager. This company
set out twelve hundred trees, and after continuing the enterprise for twelve
years, sold out. INIr. Goodman then organized the Ozark Orchard Company,
at Kansas City, Missouri, and has an orchard in the Ozarks containing twenty-
two hundred acres, to the supervision of Avhich he gives his personal attention.
Of this company J. A. Prescott is president, E. C. AVright secretary, and Mr.
Goodman vice president and manager. This is one of. the most extensive, im-
portant and successful fruit-growing enterprises in the section-^ of the country
in which it is located, and is proving a profitable investment, for fruits of the
finest varieties are there raised and command the highest market prices.

All through the years, Mr. Goodman has studied the needs and require-
ments of different kinds of fruit as to the soil, temperature, moisture and
plant food and the various influences which are detrimental or beneficial to
the trees. His knowledge is most comprehensive and accurate and his promi-
nence as a fruit-raiser has led to his selection for prominent official positions
in this connection. He is now and has been secretary of the Missouri State
Horticultural Society for twenty-five years, and he arranged for, and had
charge of, the fruit exhibits of Missouri at the expositions held in Chicago
in 1893 and in St. Louis in 1904. He is likewise president of the American
Pomological Society, represented by many of the most prominent fruit-grow-
ers of the entire country. This organization is one which has proved of
marked value in disseminating knowledge among fruit-growers and promot-
ing the horticultural interests of the country. Mr. Goodman has done much
to stimulate the ambition and activities of horticulturists and orchardists of
this state, his labors constituting an important element in Missouri's progress
in this crmnection.



158 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

In 1868 Mr. Goodman wa.s married to Miss Emegene Parker, who was
born in ^Michigan. Tliey now have three children: Marie, at home; Mrs.
Fanny Simonds; and Mrs. Josephine Croysdale. Mr. Goodman is a Presby-
terian, holding membership with the Westport Avenue Presbyterian church,
in the work of which he is deeply and helpfully interested in the various
departments of its activity. For thirty years he has been a superintendent
of the Sunday school, and has done much toward systematizing and promot-
ing the work of giving to the young religious instruction as a basis for charac-
ter building. His life is honorable, his actions manly and sincere, while his
own high moral worth is deserving of the highest commendation.



WILLIAM H. CAFFERY.

The success which William H. CaflFery has achieved in the establishment
and conduct of Portland cement factories has been so great as to seem almost
magical and yet there is not a single esoteric phase in his career. On the con-
trary, his position as a leader in this line of business in the west is attributable
directly to his recognition of opportunities that lay before all to develop a new
industry. The secret of his advancement lies in the spirit of the initiative
which he displayed in his broad, enlightened and liberal-minded views and
in his recognition of the vast potentialities for development along the specific
lines in which he has operated. His has indeed been an active career, in
which he has accomplished important and far-reaching results, contributing
in no small degree to the expansion and material growth of business interests
ill the west and from which he himself has also derived substantial benefits.

Mr. CaflPery was born in Detroit, Michigan, June 29, 1855. His boyhood
days were spent upon a farm and he acquired his preliminary education in the
country schools, later attending the State University of Michigan at Ann
Arbor. He made his initial step in the business world as a retail hardware
dealer at Pinckney, Michigan, when eighteen years of age, conducting a store
there for three years, after which he sold out and removed to East Saginaw,
Michigan, where, with a brother, John A. Caffery, he established the Caffery
Brothers Wholesale Hardware Company, which has developed into one of the
largest institutions of its kind in the state. For five years W. H. Caffery
remained as its president and manager and then came to Kansas City in 1886.

For two years after hi- arrival here Mr. Caffery engaged in the real-estate
business and on the expiration of that period became a w^holesale dealer in
coal, operating two mines until three years ago, when he organized the Kansas
City Portland Cement Company. The introduction of the use of Portland
cement as a constructive element has been a revolutionizing force in building
operations jiiid the Poillaiid ('ciiiciit iiidiistrics of tbc west are today rivaling
in extent and importance the iiiaiiimoth steel producing interests of the East.
Kansas and Missouri are ])articularly fortunate in having at their command
the jdoducts necessary for the production of the cement, possessing very
superior quality of material in the liinestoiie and rock of this district, which



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 159

requires little or no stripping and when blasted fractures along horizontal
lines. Then, too, fuel is one of the principal items of expense in the manufac-
ture of concrete and Kansas and Missouri seem to have unlimited supplies of
natural ga^, which can be obtained at a practically nominal cost. This renders
the field a specially favorable one for the manufacture of Portland cement and
in addition there has also rapidly developed a large market for the product,
its use coming into almost immediate favor.

The Southern Industrial and Lumber Review, in speaking of Mr. Caf-
fery's connection with this great important industry, said: "His first eft'orts,
as exerted in the promotion of the Kansas City Portland Cement Company,
were attended with extreme difficulties and stern obstacles on every hand, but
he continued undaunted in his puipose. The west knew little or nothing
about concrete manufacture; cared less. The Kansas investor had money for
mining investment, but not even encouragement for anything quite so un-
known and speculative as cement. Stock, bonds, real estate, etc., were securi-
ties highly esteemed by the man from Missouri, but this cement problem was
one of many ramifications, while the fact that it offered seven, eight, ten and-
even twenty per cent immediately outlawed it as a legitimate investment in
the bankers' eyes. So that credit w^as extended the new cement company very
reluctantly indeed, and wise investors were cautioned by financial sages
again.<t taking on any con.^iderable amount of cement stock. In spite of these
misgivings and prejudices, the unflinching determination of Mr. Caffery suc-
ceeded in doing the impossible, hoAvever, and the new cement plant became a
reality and an object of pride to every loyal Missourian.

"Meanwhile, Mr. Cafi^ery was not content to rest on his laurels, but began,
instead, the inception of a new proposition on a much more ambitious scale.
As a result, the Bonner Portland Cement Company, of Bonner Springs, Kan-
sas, was launched with a capitalization of two million dollars. This trans-
pired on the ninth day of March of 1907. Forty days thereafter the pros-
pectus and literature of the new" concern was off the press and the first offering
of stock was made." The story of the success of the Bonner Company is best
told in the words of the Kansas City Post of July 20th, 1907: "Within ninety
days, this company (referring to the Bonner Company) has completed its
organization, practically closed out all of its stock, bought, contracted and paid
for its entire immense equipment of machinery and vigorously entered upon
the construction of its plant. In four months intervening between this writ-
ing and the publication of the excerpt above referred to, the bulk of construc-
tion work on the new Bonner plant has been completed. Aside from the actual
l>uilding of the handsome all concrete office building, together with the com-
pletion of several of the more important buildings, considerable machinery has
already been installed, while more is arriving daily. Mr. Caffery confidently
expects to have the plant in operation not later than January 31st next, and
hopes to be filling orders for 'Bonner Brand' cement during the first week of
February. If these expectations are realized Mr. Caffery will have achieved a
world's record in the act of organizing, financing and building one of the
finest modern cement properties in existence within less than one year's time."
Since the above was written the Bonner Portland Cement Company has placed



160 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

its plant in successful operation and has thus added another immense factory
to tho<e which are furnishing the we-^t with Portland cement.

That Mr. Caffery is a man of marked executive ability, resourceful and
enterprising beyond the average, is not only indicated l)y his succCiSi v.ith
Portland cement, but also by his official connection with various other cor-
porate interests. He is president of the Plomo Mining Company, the general
manager of the Missouri Coal & Mining Company, a director of the Bonner
Springs Oil & Gas Company, a director of the Farmers' State Bank, of Bon-
ner Springs, and a stockholder in the Kansas City Portland Cement Com-
pany and the Federal Mines & Milling Company of Michigan.

Mr. Caffery was married in September, 1883, to Miss Nellie jNIinnis, and
they have one son, Louis R., nineteen years of age. Mr. Caffery is pre-
eminently a business man, who has wrought along constantly broadening
lines of usefulness and activity and stands today as one of the most forceful
factor.-: in industrial circles in the middle west.



J. S. MARTIN.



.1. S. Martin, who at the time of his demise on the 16th of October,
1905, Avas one of the oldest members of the Old Men's Association of Kan-
sas City, attained the age of eighty-seven years. For a long period he avos
ddentified with the interests of Avestern Missouri and because of a wide and
favorable acquaintance his life record cannot fail to prove of interest to
many of the readers of this volume. He was a son of Colonel Amos Martin
of the city of New York, and was born in Owego, Tioga county. New York,
September 14, 1818. Good educationial privileges were provided him in
youth and these he improved with the result that he was well qualified to
take up tlie practical duties of life on attaining his majority. Wlu>n a
young man he began clerking in a store and developed good business ability,
which as the years passed gained him place with men of recognized ])r )iii-
inence and wealth in commercial and industrial circles. He was at the age
of fortv-five vears connccttxl with the reaper and mower factorv in Aul)urn.
New York. He traveled extensively for this firm, into all sections of the
(country and came to Kan.'»as City on business in 1868. Tie wa- sd well
pleased with the growing western city and its prospects that upon his return
to New York he disposed of his interests in the business there and returned
to Kansas City to make his home. He purchased a lot in what wa> tlicu a
cornfield and erected a residence that stands at what is now designated as
No. 1509 Oak .street. Tliere he ui.-idc lii- home for thirty-seven years, or
until ]ii< demise. He became a factor \u l)u.-incs> circles lierc as a local a'i;ent
for f'lnn iin]»lenieiils. in which conneclion he ;i]»|)oiiite(l su])ageuts and
was also traveling collector ;uid adjuster foi- different lirnis. .\s tlie ye.n-s
passed lie built uj) a good ])usiuess in tliese lines and was everywhere known