Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 16 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

for his thorough reliability in comuiercial transactions. A few years i)rior




J. S. MARTIN.



■JRK
PUB^[. .JBKARY

ASTOR, LENOX

TILDFN IX •[■ * ■ TIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 163

to his demise, however, he retired from active connection with business.
His life was a long, useful and honorable one and the many with whom he
came in contact in his connnercial career entertained for him high respect
for his integrity as well as energy.

Mr. Martin was married twice. In the state of New York he wedded
Margaret Maning, now deceased, and unto them were born two children:
Lewis, a resident of Los Angeles, California; and Elizabeth, w^ho has passed
away. In 1881 Mr. Martin was married to Miss Adaline C. Chambers, w^ho
came to Kansas City from Ohio in 1868 with her parents, James and Jane
Chambers, both of whom were natives of the Buckeye state. Their removal
to this city was influenced by the fact that they had two sons in business
here and wished to be near them.

Socially Mr. Martin was connected with the Independent Order of Odd
Fiellows and he exercised his right of franchise in support of the men and
measures of the republican party. For thirty years he was a devoted and
faithful member of the Presbyterian church and served as treasurer for
eight years, while in the various departments of church work he took an
active and helpful interest. He assisted in building three different churches
here and did everything in his power to promote the moral development
and progress of the community. He was a typical American in that he was
never too busy to be cordial and never too cordial to be busy. When not
occupied with commercial interests his time was given to affairs connected
with municipal progress. He never regretted his removal to Kansas City
from either a social or financial standpoint, for he found success in business
here and gained many friends whose high regard he cherished. He was a
man of very large acquaintance and was loved and honored by all who
knew him. He regarded his own self-respect and the good will of his fel-
low citizens as infinitely more valuable than wealth, fame or position, and
the sterling qualities which he displayed made his example one well worthy
of emulation. Full of years and honors he passed away — his life span hav-
ing covered eighty-seven years.



FRED C. ADAMS.



Fred C. Adams, a popular republican, well known in political circles,
has since 1901 filled the office of county collector. He was born in Hartford
county, Connecticut, in 1862, and for about a quarter of a century has lived
in Kansas City. Here he entered the employ of the wholesale dry goods firm
of Tootle, Hanna & Company, and when the Kansas City State Bank was
organized in 1888 he became teller. Three years later he was promoted to
the position of assistant cashier and acted in that capacity until his election
to the present office, yet performing the duties of cashier nearly all of the time
during which he was assistant. He still retained stock in the bank when he
severed his connection therewith on the 2d of March, 1901, to enter upon the
duties of county collector, to which office he had been elected and in which he



164 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

has continually served to the present, covering a period of seven years. He
is recognized as one of the, leading members of the republican party in Kansas
City, laboring effectively and earnestly for the welfare of the party and doing
much to shape its policy. To the discharge of his duties he has brought the
same accuracy, fidelity and ability that characterized his service in banking
circles.



GEORGE FREDERICK BLUE.

George Frederick Blue, living retired in Kansas City, was born in the
little village of Pruntytown, in Taylor county. West Virginia, November 5,
1845. The district in which his birth occurred was then a part of Virginia,
and he belonged to one of the well known families of the Old Dominion. He
is connected through ties of blood with Governor Johnson and the Burdette
family, to which John S. Burdette, secretary of state, belonged. He is an
own cousin of Robert Burdette, the celebrated humorist and author; of
Alonzo Johnson, who was a leading lawyer and judge in Virginia, and Mor-
timer Johnson, a Confederate colonel. His parents, Stephen and Ann
(Burdette) Blue, were natives of Culpepper Courthouse. The father owned
a number of slaves and a large plantation of eleven hundred acres. His land
was rich in timber and he turned his attention to the lumber business, cutting
the timber and placing it on the market, after which he devoted his farm to
the production of cattle on an extensive scale.

George Frederick Blue pursued his early education in one of the old-
time subscription schools of the early day, the school being conducted by his
uncle, Stephen Burdette, in a log house. The teacher was more than six
feet tall and capable of inspiring all of his pupils. He made the quill pens
which the pupils used in writing their exercises, while the juice of the poke-
berry served for ink. The little "temple of learning" was built of hewed
logs, and on one side, a log being taken out, the space was filled with glass
and served as a window. Under this was the writing desk, a long board laid
upon pins driven into the wall. The benches were made from poplar trees
and were built around a square, the teacher sitting in the center. The younger
children learned the alphabet, which the teacher wrote on a paddle made
from a board. In his boyhood days Mr. Blue of this review drove cattle two
hundred and seventy miles across the mountains to Baltimore, following the
national pike through Gettysburg. He would put a rope around the lead
steer and walk the entire distance. He left the district school about the time
the war broke out. He saw John Brown on his way to Harper's Ferry and
was a witness of various momentous events which formed the history of that
period.

His people were stalwart supporters of the Confederacy, and his brother,
John Tyler, was a soldier in Early's army. For the first two years of the
war Mr. Blue was largely engaged in driving cattle over the mountains to
Baltimore, but on the lOth of June, 1863, he enlisted for six months' service
in Company C, Fourth West Virginia Cavalry, under Captain James Ar-



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 165

buckle and Colonel John S. Lathrop. He participated in the battle of Bull-
town, West Virginia, with General Fitzhugh Lee's cavalry, and also in a
number of smaller engagements. At the end of the time he was mustered
out but soon reenlisted in Battery H, First West Virginia Artillery, under
Captain J. H. Holmes, of Wheeling, thus serving until the close of the war.
During this enlistment he took part in the engagements at Cumberland, St.
John's Run, Fisher's Hill, W^inchester, Rocky Gap, Petersburg and New
Creek. At the last named he was captured with Colonel Mulligan's battery,
which was widely known as the battery of brass guns. He was then incar-
cerated in Libby prison until General Grant took Richmond, and during that
time he suffered intensely, starvation, vermin and exposure constituting some
of the hardships of southern prison life. He was ever a brave and loyal
soldier, faithfully defending the cause which he espoused and never faltering
in his allegiance to the old flag.

When the war was over Mr. Blue again spent two years in school. In
the meantime a public-school system had been inaugurated and good teachers
secured, Mr. Blue receiving the benefit of instruction from Professor Shoe-
maker, formerly a Hiram College student. He thus qualified for teaching
and for two years followed that profession in Barbour county. West Virginia.
He next entered the service of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad as brakeman
and later was promoted to freight conductor, eventually becoming passenger
conductor. He was retained in the freight and passenger service for thirty-
two years on the Baltimore & Ohio between Grafton, Piedmont and Parkers-
burg, and was with the Lexington & Louisville Short Line for three years,
running between Louisville and Cincinnati.

On the 15th of September, 1876, Mr. Blue arrived in Kansas City, having
previously in that year visited the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia,
where the attractive display of the western states influenced him to come to
the west. He paid a visit to his cousin, Richard Blue, of Pleasanton, Kansas,
afterward congressman, and on choosing Kansas City as a place of residence
afterward entered the employ of the Santa Fe Railroad Company as passenger
conductor, continuing in that service as a most trusted representative in the
operative department for seventeen years. He afterw^ard spent four years in
the employ of the Kansas City Southern Railroad, on the expiration of which
period he located at Coffeyville, Kansas, where he purchased the Mecca Hotel,
which he conducted for two years. He then sold the property, and, returning
to Kansas City, erected the Burdette flats at No. 3720 Main street. Since that
time he has lived retired, deriving his income from his invested interests. His
success is well merited, for he has worked his own way upward from an
humble position in the business world. Prompted by laudable ambition, he
has put forth earnest effort and his career has been marked by orderly pro-
gression, bringing him to his present enviable financial position.

Mr. Blue has been married twice. In Las Vegas, Mexico, in 1883, he
wedded Miss Mattie E. Smith, a native of Michigan, who died at Fort Madi-
son, Iowa, in 1890, leaving one son, Burdette, who, after attending the public
schools of Kansas City, entered the Kansas University at Lawrence, Kansas,
and was graduated from the law school in June, 1905. He was then admitted



166 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

to the bar and spent one year in the law office of Botsford, Delridge & Young.
He was then admitted to the bar at Bartlesville, Indian Territory, where he
is now practicing law as a partner of Judge Dummel, under the firm style of
Dummel & Blue. In 1891 George F. Blue was again married, at Wabash,
Indiana, his second union being with Miss Inez M. Carpenter, a daughter of
the Rev. L. L. Carpenter, a pastor of the Christian church and active in the
ministry.

Mr. and Mrs. Blue are members of the First Christian church of Kansas
City, and he is also identified with the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks and the Masonic fraternity. He is likewise a valued member of Thomas
Post, G. A. R., and thus maintains pleasant relations with his old army com-
rades who fought for the defense of the Union. In politics he has been a life-
long republican, ever loyally advocating the interests of the organization
which has been the party of reform and progress and which was the defense
of the nation during the dark days of the Civil war. Mr. Blue is widely
recognized as a man ever loyal to his honest convictions and fearless in de-
fense of what be believes to be right. This was manifest by his military
service with the Federal troops when the great majority of his kinsmen were
advocates of the Confederacy. None have ever doubted the honesty of his
intention, and his integrity, combined with his diligence and faithfulness,
has constituted the basis of the success which he has enjoyed.



JUDGE WILLIAM BERNARD TEASDALE.

Perhaps no more fitting encomium of the life of Judge William
Bernard Teasdale could be written than the Avords of the poet Pope:

''Statesman, yet a friend to truth ; of soul sincere,
In action faithful and in honor clear;
Who broke no promise, served no private end.
Who gained no title and who lost no friend."

These lines indicate the salient characteristics of a life that was at all times
honorable and upright and actuated by the utmost fidelity to duty, while his
talents and mental qualifications made him the peer of many of the most
distinguished representatives of the Missouri bar.

A native of this state, he was born April 12, 1856, in Potosi, and at the
usual age entered the public schools, mastering the branches of learning
taught in consecutive grades until he qualified for entrance into the St.
Louis University. There, in due course of time he was graduated, and he
supplemented his more specifically literary education for a course in law pre-
paratory to entering upon the active practice of the profession. He began
!to study and ol)tained a degree from the St. Louis Law School in 1877.
For two years following his admi.ssion to the bar he practiced in Potosi but
in 1879 sought a broader and more fruitful field of labor, removing to Kan-




W. B. TEASDALE.



Ti,.. 1 .-■/ '''ORK
PUBLIC LIBRARY



ASTOR. LENOX



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 169

sas City, where he opened an office and began practice. Shortly after this
he was appointed assistant prosecuting attorney by William H. Wallace and
although a stalwart democrat, the good record which he made in that office
led to his election to the position of justice of the peace in a district that
was strongly republican. While serving in that capacity he displayed the
strong traits of his character which marked his later career. Aside from
being an interpreter of the law, Judge Teasdale at one period of his life
was associated with the law makers of Missouri, having been elected a mem-
ber of the state senate in 1888, while during his term of service he was a
member of the judiciary committee and the author of the gerrymander bill,
which cut Lafayette county out of the fifth congressional district and made
a separate district of Jackson county.

Continuing in the practice of the law. Judge Teasdale soon secured
a large clientage. He had in an eminent degree that rare ability of saying
in a convincing way the right thing at the right time. His mind was nat-
urally inductive and logical and, with keen powers of analysis, he readily
understood what were the factors that made the complex fabric of his case.
The work of the office was done with the most thorough preparation and
care and thus he was enabled to present his cause in the courts with clear-
ness and force. His preparation always compassed every contingency and
provided for defense as well as for attack. From 1889 to 1899 he was a
member of the law firm of Teasdale, Ingraham & Cowherd. In March, 1901,
a fifth division of the circuit court was created in Jackson county and, hav-
ing received the endorsement of the Bar Association, Mr. Teasdale was ap-
pointed judge by Governor Dockery. The following year he was elected to
the circuit bench on the democratic ticket and continued to serve in that
capacity until his life's labors were ended in death.

A local paper, in commenting upon his last days, said: "For nearly a
year he sat in the circuit court suffering from an affection of the throat and
the attorneys of the bar knew nothing of it Many times he bore intense
pain. There was nothing in his manner to indicate it. He suffered in
silence. His physicians often urged him to take something to ease the pain,
but he refused, saying that a drug would tend to cloud his brain and render
him incapable of properly hearing a case. At length he found he could
not stand the ordeal and sought the aid of the best physicians of New York
city but without relief.

"Judge Teasdale's temperament made him successful on the bench.
He was even tempered and seldom showed any excitement. When he was
first appointed judge of the circuit court he said to an associate judge who
is well known for his judicial temperament : 'If I can emulate your example
I shall be all right. If I can hold my tongue, not talk too much and keep
from losing my head, I shall succeed as a judge.' Judge Teasdale was strict
with the attorneys at his bar, but always fair and impartial. He admitted
an error quickly and corrected it immediately."

His decisions indicated strong mentality, careful analysis, a thorough
knowledge of the law and an unbiased judgment. The capable jurist must
possess broad mindedness which not only comprehends the details of a sit-



170 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

uation quickly but which insures a complete self-control under even the
most exasperating conditions. He, moreover, must possess a well rounded
character, finely balanced mind, and splendid intellectual attainments if he
makes a success in the discharge of his multitudinous delicate duties. That
Judge Teasdale was regarded as such a jurist is an uniformly accepted fact.

In 1883 Judge Teasdale married Miss Lydia Guinotte, a daughter of
Joseph and Aimee Guinotte. who were among the pioneers of our growing
city.

In an editorial comment following his death, which occurred February
13th, 1907, one of the Kansas City papers said: "He was notably hand-
some and of noble presence. He was good to look upon because of his fine,
ruddy strength and his wholesome composure. To sickening pain, to ex-
hausting fatigue and to all the enervation which wasting invalidism can
bring, he set into opposition patience, the power of heroic endurance, the
assertion of high and noble courage and a trust in a power above and be-
yond himself which knew no wavering. Thus passed from life unto death
Judge William B. Teasdale — or would it not be more in accord with the
teachings of that faith which saves and sweetens the world to say that he
passed from death unto life."



JOHN W. JACKSON, M. D.

Dr. John W. Jackson, a man who counted his friends by the thousands
and had no enemies, gained a national reputation as a physician and surgeon,
practicing largely in Kansas City, although demands made upon his pro-
fessional skill called him also to other places. His birth occurred on the 6th
of November, 1834, in Clark county, Maryland, and after acquiring a com-
mon-school education he continued his studies in Charleston University of
West Virginia, where he pursued a regular course. He was a young man of
twenty-five years when, in 1859, he made his way westward to Franklin
county, Missouri, and in the same year took up the study of medicine under
the direction of Doctors George Johnson and J. L. Matthews. Later he con-
tinued his preparation for the profession by becoming a student in the St.
Louis Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1863.

Dr. Jackson located for practice in Labaddie, Misouri, where he re-
mained until the spring of 1864, when, feeling that his first duty was to his
country, he joined the United States army as surgeon of the Forty-eighth
Missouri Volunteers, continuing at the front until the close of the war.
During the last year of his service he was post surgeon at Columbia, Ten-
nessee.

When the country no longer needed his aid Dr. Jackson opened an
office in St. Louis, where he remained until his return to Labaddie, where
he again engaged in practice. As the years passed his knowledge and efficiency
were constantly increased by wide reading, study and experience, yet ambi-
tious to attain a higher degree of efficiency, in 1873 he continued his studies



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 171

in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York city, from which he
was graduated with honor in the following year. Missouri has always been
the scene of his professional labor, save for the period spent in the south
during the war. On again locating in this state in 1874 he was appointed
chief surgeon of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. He built up the first railway
hospital system ever established east of the Rocky mountains, and, in fact,
was the founder and promoter of the railway hospital service of the United
States. In 1879 he built the first hospital on the Missouri Pacific Railway at
Washington, Missouri, conducting it successfully until 1881, when his juris-
diction was enlarged so as to embrace the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad,
and the hospital was removed from Washington to Sedalia. In the spring
of 1883 his jurisdiction was again extended, taking in the entire Gould
system except the Iron Mountain division, and in 1884 the entire Wabasl/
system. In - February, 1885, he resigned his position with the Missouri
Pacific and assumed entire charge of the Wabash system. All this time he
enjoyed an extensive private practice and was coming more and more to be
recognized as one of the ablest surgeons of the entire country.

In 1880 Dr. Jackson was chosen to the chair of surgery in the Kansas
City Medical College, but did not remove to Kansas City until 1884. Five
years later he was elected as the first president of the National Railway
Surgeons' Association. He was also honored with the first vice presidency
of the American Medical Society and was president of the Missouri State
Medical Society. At the time of his death he was president of the University
Medical College of Kansas City. To him belongs the honor of building the
splendid Wabash system of railway hospitals, those at Springfield and Dan-
ville, Illinois; Peru, Indiana, and Kansas City being established chiefly
through his instrumentality. He also built the Missouri Pacific Hospital at
Fort Worth, Texas, the finest in the west.

Dr. Jackson was married in Labaddie, Franklin county, Missouri, to
Miss Jennie C. North, a native of that county and a daughter of Febius J. and
Frances (Goode) North, both natives of Virginia. Mr. North removed with
his parents to Franklin county, Missouri, when he was only six years of age.
He was reared on a farm there and resided in that locality throughout his
remaining days, devoting his time and energies to general agricultural pur-
suits, both he and his wife passing away there. The farm has always been
in the family name and is known as the old North homestead. It is now
occupied by a sister of Mrs. Jackson. Two children were born unto Dr. and
Mrs. Jackson, both of whom are physicians and reside with their mother at
2629 Forest avenue. The elder, Dr. Jabez N. Jackson, is one of the leading
surgeons of Kansas City, with ofiicGS at No. 425 Argyle building. He married
Miss Virlea Wayland, of Salisbury, Missouri, and has two children, Virginia
and Margaret. Dr. Walter E. Jackson has offices with his brother in the
Argyle building and both have an extensive practice.

Mrs. Jackson, after her hu-sband's death, remained at her fine home at the
corner of Fifteenth and Broadway until about four years ago, when she
removed to 2629 Forest avenue, where she and her sons now reside. She still
owns the old homestead, which is one of the finest in that part of the city.



172 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

The death of Dr. Jackson occurred March 13, 1890, and was occasioned
by blood poisoning which resulted from an operation that he performed. He
was a member of the Masonic fraternity, in which he had attained high rank,
and was also a member of the Order of Elks. His life, however, was given
to his profession and he attained a preeminent position in the ranks of the
medical and surgical fraternity. His ability was such as to gain him recog-
nition, not only in Kansas City and Missouri, but throughout the country,
and he w^as honored by all for his prominence and for his personal worth.
He was a man of the most kindly spirit as well as high intellectuality, and
he gained the warm and lasting friendship of all with whom he came in
contact.



GEORGE PEAKE.



George Peake, public auditor and expert accountant, as senior partner
of the firm of George Peake & Sons, is not only well known professionally in
Kansas City, but to a large extent throughout the w^est. He was born in
Richmond, Virginia, February 17, 1847. His father was George R. Peake,
whose birth occurred near Fredericksburg, Virginia, September 9, 1807. In
the Old Dominion he followed merchandising until after the outbreak of the
Civil war, when he retired and engaged in farming. In 1871 he came to
Kansas City, after which he lived retired from business life. His death
occurred at Baxter Springs, Kansas, in 1890. In early manhood he gave his
political allegiance to the whig party, but upon its dissolution became a
democrat and was a stanch supporter of the principles of that platform during
much of his life. He married Jane Knox Barclay, who was born in Rich-
mond, Virginia, January 14, 1817, and died at Kansas City in April, 1874.

George Peake was a pupil in the classical school of Roger Martin, Rich-
mond, Virginia, in his boyhood days, or until after the outbreak of the Civil
war, when he responded to the call of the Confederacy for aid. enlisting as
a volunteer in Sturdivant's Battery at Richmond in October, 1862, at the age
of fifteen and one-half years. He served thirty months and spent considerable
time in the trenches at Petersburg, Virginia. There he was wounded by a