Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 17 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Union sharpshooter, the bullet striking him in the right ear. It passed
through a portion of the back part of his skull and was cut out of the back
of his neck. The sharpshooter fired at him three times, but only the last
bullet took effect. Mr. Peake fought in many important battles of the war
and flischargcd h\.< duller with the unflinching loyalty and valor of a true
soldier.

Following the close of hostilities George Peake engaged in farming with
his father for two years. He then came to Kansas City in 1867, borrowing
money with which to pay his transportation. After he had remained here
for a time he became dissatisfied and would have returned home could he
have secured financial aid sufficient to pay his railroad fare. Forced to
remain, however, he began to like the city, and now there is no place quite so
dear to him except his birthplace — Richmond, Virginia. His first position



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY IVb

here was with J. & P. Shannon, then the leading dry goods house of the city,
remaining in their employ one year. He then accepted the position of book-
keeper with Askew, Dubois & Company, wholesale dealers in leather, saddlery
hardware and hides, and he remained with them until 1875, when he went
to St. Joseph, Missouri. There he served as bookkeeper for the wholesale
firm of Nave, McCord & Company for two years. He then returned to
Kansas City, where he remained until 1880, when he went to Hannibal,
Missouri. He was in charge of the business of the Standard Oil Company
at that place, which was a distributing point for the entire western business
of the company.

Mr. Peake remained there until January, 1886, when he once more came
to Kansas City to assume the duties of auditor for the Standard Oil Company's
branch establishments throughout the west. He thus continued to serve until
1890, when he resigned to engage in his present busines.s — that of public
auditor and expert accountant. His two sons, George L. and Neil S. Peake,
together with W. A. Abell, William F. Shelley and others, are associated
with him, but the firm style is George Peake & Sons. This well known firm
has a nicely furnished suite of rooms in the First National Bank building.
They are recognized among the leaders in their line of business in the west
and have a clientage extending over a considerable portion of the western
country, besides doing a large amount of business in Kansas City. For
several years Mr. Peake has been and is still filling the responsible position
of secretary of the Benefit Building & Loan Association of Kansas City.

Mr. Peake was married on the 16th of April, 1872, to Miss Ella F.
Lester, eldest daughter of Dr. Thomas B. Lester, of this city. Dr. Lester came
to Kansas City from Illinois in 1855 and was a Virginian by birth. His
daughter, Mrs. Peake, w^as born at Salem, Illinois, May 4, 1851, but acquired
a part of her education at Kansas City and completed her studies at the
Elizabeth Aull Seminary at Lexington, Missouri, in 1871. She is a member
of the Central Presbyterian church, affiliated with its different societies and
has been a devout Christian from early life, doing earnest and effective work
in behalf of the church and the extension of its influence. Mr. Peake is also
a member of the church, with which he has been identified since 1868, and
his membership relations extend to the Woodmen of the World. In politics
he is a stanch democrat but has never aspired to political honors, preferring
to devote all his energies and time to business affairs. He is a man highly
respected by all who know him and one whose word is considered as good as
his bond.

The family residence is at 2326 Troost avenue. Ten children were born
unto Mr. and Mrs. Peake, of whom the following are living: George L.
Peake, the eldest, born in Kansas City January 6, 1873, and educated in the
public schools, was employed in his early business career by his uncle, William
Peake, a manufacturer of overalls, with whom he remained for eighteen
months, beginning in 1892. He then accepted a position with Burnham,
Hanna, Munger dry goods company, with whom he continued for a year,
and on the expiration of that period he joined his father in business. He
married Miss Anna Kupke, of this city, a native of Germany, whose father



174 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

died while she was yet in her infancy. Her mother remarried and now resides
in Chicago. Two children have been born unto Mr.a nd Mrs. George L. Peake:
Thomas Bryan, born January 21, 1889; and Eleanor Marie, October 6, 1904.
The home of the famil}^ is at No. 3025 Park avenue. Mr. Peake is a member
of the AVoodmen of the World, of Ivanhoe Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and also of
the Central Presbyterian church.

Neil S. Peake, the younger son, was born in Hannibal, Missouri, August
31, 1873, and was educated in the public schools of Kansas City, of which
he is a graduate. He has been associated wdth his father in business since
1904 and still makes his home with his parents. He, too, is a member of the
Central Presbyterian church and is a valued member of Kansas City Lodge,
No. 26, B. P. 0. E., and the Kansas City Athletic Club. The father and
sons are recognized as leading business men of marked ability in their pro-
fession, and the family is one whose genuine personal worth has gained for
them the highest regard.



GEORGE SCHAEFER.

The history of Jackson county could not be termed complete were the
life record of George Schaefer omitted, since he became a resident of Kan-
sas City in the days of its villagehood and was a factor in its growth and
progress for many years. He maintained an unassailable reputation in busi-
ness circles by reason of the straightforward methods which he followed,
and in social life he manifested those sterling qualities in manhood which
awaken the most kindly and lasting regard. In his business career he ad-
vanced from a humble position to one of prominence and from a place of
limited financial circumstances to affluence, and his death, which occurred on
the 14th of jNIay, 1897, was the occasion of deep and widespread regret. His
life record began in Germany, February 17, 1844, his parents being Con-
rad and Sophie (Wilke) Schaefer, who were likewise natives of Germany.
In 1846 they crossed the Atlantic to America, and for a year resided in New
Orleans, after which they were residents of St. Louis until 1855, when Kan-
sas City attracted them. It was a frontier town of small proportions, but
was advantageously situated, and the father believed that it would offer good
opportunities. He accordingly engaged in blacksmithing here until 1866
and during that period enjoyed a volume of trade that brought him capital
sufficient to enable him to spend his remaining days in honorable retire-
ment from labor, and yet was sufficient to provide him with all of the com-
forts and some of the luxuries of life. On coming to this city in 1857 he
made his home at the corner of Main and Twelfth streets, where the Bern-
hoimer block now stands, and there remained until his death, which occurred
January 4, 1884. His wife was twice married, her first husband being Mr.
Hale, by whom she had three children : Catiierine, the wife of Charles Long,
of Kansas City, and now the mother of seven children ; Wilhelmina, who be-
came the wife of Peter Schwitzgebel and died in 1870, leaving six children;




GEORGE SCHAEFER.



PUB.i-C LIBRARY



ASrOR, LENOX
TILDTN F^ ■ a TfON':?



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 177

and Henry, who was killed by Indians near Fort Laramie in 1864. Unto
Mr. and Mrs. Conrad Schaefer there were born two sons: George, of this
review; and John, who died in 1884. The mother had passed away in March,
1883. Both parents were members of St. Peter & Paul's Evangelical Lu-
theran church. The father was very active in the church work. He also
served as a member of the Paw Paw militia during 1864-5.

George Schaefer was brought to Kansas City when a youth of about
eleven years and in 1856 he became a pupil in a parochial school at the comer
of Fifteenth and Central streets conducted by the Rev. Mr. Thomas, who
also dedicated Union cemetery. Mr. Schaefer remained under the parental
roof until he had reached adult age, save that from 1863 until 1865 he was
a resident of New Mexico and Arizona. He learned the blacksmith's trade
under the direction of his father, and continued to follow it until 1869,
when he became connected with the mercantile interests of the city as pro-
prietor of a feed store at the site of the old family home on Main and
Twelfth streets. He afterward conducted a meat market there until 1884,
when he removed his store to a building on the opposite corner, while he
erected on the old site the fine Bernheimer building, a four-story brick struc-
ture, sixty-two by one hundred and twelve and a half feet. In 1890 he
also erected the Household Fair building, and these two constituted impor-
tant business blocks of the city and returned to him an excellent rental. He
was a man of keen sagacity, of unfaltering enterprise and of clear discrim-
ination, and was seldom, if ever, at fault in matters of business judgment.
He recognized and improved his opportunities, and in all of his business
connections was found thoroughly reliable as well as energetic.

In 1870 occurred the marriage of Mr. Schaefer and Miss Margaret
Gleim, a native of Hamilton county, Ohio, and a daughter of George Gleim.
Mrs. Schaefer was brought to Kansas City at the age of seventeen
years, and by her marriage became the mother of seven children : Anna, now
the wife of W. C. Howe, Jr., by whom she has one child, Florence Mar-
garet; Lottie, who is the wife of Fred AVolf. of Ellinwood, Kansas, and the
mother of two children, John Frederick and Robert George; Daisy, the wife
of Dr. S. S. Landon, of Kansas City, by whom she has two children, Mar-
garet Eugenie and- Katherine Amy ; Walter George, a son not yet of age ;
Norton, who died in September, 1896, at the age of nine years; and Robert
James and George, also deceased. The family residence is one of the beau-
tiful homes of Kansas City. It is built in most attractive style of architec-
ture, is commodious and comfortable and stands in the midst of a four-acre
lawn which displays many evidences of the art of the landscape gardener.
The family attend St. Peter & Paul's Evangelical Lutheran church, to the
support of which Mr. Schaefer contributed liberally. He was also a Knight
Templar Mason and filled offices in both the lodge and commandery. In pol-
itics he was a republican, but he never sought nor desired office, preferring
to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs. The steps of orderly
progression in his life are easily discernible. He watched for favoring op-
portunities and was not afraid to advance when the chance came. He learned
to correctly value life's contacts and experiences, and whatever he undertook



178 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

he carried forward to successful completion. His business methods, too, were
such as would bear careful scrutiny and investigation. He was widely known
for many good qualities as manifest in his business and social life, and
while eleven years have passed since he was called to his final home, his
memory is yet cherished by many who knew him. Mrs. Schaefer, still sur-
viving her husband, assumed full charge of his large business interests upon
his demise, and in their conduct has been remarkably successful, display-
ing excellent ability, clear insight and determination. In addition to su-
perintending the extensive property interests which he left she has built
here many homes, and has thus contributed to the improvement of the
city, while from her interests she has derived substantial benefits.



JOSEPH MACAULEY LOWE.

Joseph Macauley Lowe, well descended and well bred, is fortunate in
having back of him an ancestry honorable and distinguished, while his own
lines of life have been cast in harmony therewith. A lawyer by profession,
who has attained success and prominence at the bar, he is now largely devot-
ing his attention to private interests, but is preeminently a man of affairs and
one who has wielded a wide influence.

His natal day was December 13, 1844, and the place of his nativity
Pendleton county, Kentucky. His parents were Moses and Nancy Watson
(Porter) Lowe, also natives of Kentucky, and the family is of Anglo-German
descent. Sir Hudson Lowe, a British general, was in command of St. Helena
while Napoleon was an exile there from 1815 until 1821. Robert Lowe,
viscount of Sherbrooke, was a noted English politician and filled many im-
portant official positions, including that of chancellor of the exchequer and
home secretaary. He did much toward establishing the political policy of his
country during the nineteenth century and died in 1892. Germans of the
name have been celebrated for high class musical compositions and as
operatic singers. Wilhelm Lowe was called the Lion-Ox, on acount of his
bravery and patience, and was a noted German liberal politician in pre-
imperial times. The Porters were also conspicuous in literature and in war.
Anna Marie Porter was the author of several novels, while Tliaddeus of
Warsaw and other productions, the work of Jane Porter, have been perhaps
more widely read than any productions from a woman's pen. Both the Lowe
and Porter families were represented in the colonial army during the Amer-
ican revolution. William Thomas Lowe removed from Virginia to Kentucky
in pioneer times and purchased the present site of the city of Lexington.
Governor Lowe, of Maryland, was also a member of this family. The east-
ern branch of the family, which struck the final E from the name, has a
prominent representative in Seth Low, the president of Columbia University
of New York city. Seth Low's father married a Nancy Porter.

Moses Lowe, father of J. M. Lowe, of this review, devoted his life to
farming in Kentucky, and for several years was justice of the peace. Upon



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 179

the old homestead farm there his son Joseph M. was reared, and from an early-
age was familiar with the work of the fields, while in the winter months he
attended the country schools to the age of sixteen years. He then enlisted
in the Confederate army and served for three months, after which he taught
a district school at Greenfield, Indiana, at the same time pursuing the study
of law in the office of James L. Mason during his leisure hours. In 1864 he
was appointed clerk in the Indiana state senate, serving for two years, and in
1865 he successfully passed an examination which secured him admission to
the bar at Greenfield, Indiana.

Mr. Lowe has been a representative of the Missouri bar since 1868, when
he located for practice at Plattsburg, this state, where he remained until 1883.
There he won cordial advancement by reason of his marked devotion to his
clients' interests, his thorough preparation of his cases and his able handling
of his cause in the courts. From 1872 until 1880 he served as prosecuting
attorney of Clinton county, being chosen by popular suffrage at four succes-
sive elections. The first time he was nominated by the democrats, the
"people" then placed his name on the people's ticket, and afterward the
republicans did the same, thus giving him three nominations for the same
office.

In 1883 Mr. Lowe arrived in Kansas City, since which time he has
devoted much of his attention to personal affairs, although he is also well
known as an able member of the bar. In 1889 he was appointed receiver of
the National Exchange Bank and so managed its affairs that he paid the
depositors in full and the stockholders a good dividend. He has ever kept
abreast with the best thinking men of the age, has read broadly and considers
deeply the vital questions affecting state and national interests in any of its
phases. He is an eloquent speaker, possessing superior oratorical power, and
has been called upon to address many gatherings upon important questions.
His address before the Kansas City Commercial Club in 1896 on Agriculture
and Commerce, Twin Sisters in the Country's Development, was a most
entertaining one and full of historic facts. For his learned and able address
before the South and. West Commercial Congress at Charleston in 1898 he
received a vote of thanks. He was also called upon to address the Trans-
Mississippi Congress at Houston, Texas. He possesses a statasman's grasp of
affairs and his political interest has ever been that of a public-spirited citizen
who desires general good rather than personal aggrandizement and places
the welfare of the country before partisanship. He was, however, a candidate
for lieutenant governor in 1900, and his political views may be termed those
of a conservative democrat.

In 1876 Mr. Lowe was married to Miss Mary E. McWilliams, a daughter
of Dr. John Q. A. McWilliams, of Madison county, Kentucky, and a descend-
ant of the McWilliams and Hockaday families, who were among the pioneers
of Virginia and Kentucky. Her grandfather. Captain John Cleveland Mc-
Williams served in the war of 1812, and through the Cleveland branch of the
family Mrs. Lowe is related to Grover Cleveland. By her marriage she hag
become the mother of a son and daughter, John Roger and Florence Marian.



180 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

The family attend the Baptist church, of which Mr. Lowe is a member,
He stands for all that is best in the individual, in citizenship and in business
life. The strong qualities which have made him useful in one locality would
have insured his eminence anywhere. Though never a seeker for political
honors he has exerted through his wide acquaintance with the leaders of
political and business life an influence exceeding that of many whose names
are familiar in public affairs. Governor Folk appointed him chairman of
the board of election commissioners in 1895, and during the existence of this
board, it has been universally conceded that the elections have been fair,
honest and orderly.



MRS. JENNIE M. PHILLIPS.

Mrs. Jennie M. Phillips, well known in Kansas City, w^here she has re-
sided since 1900, makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Thomas L. Muli-
nix, at No. 3005 East Twenty-fifth street. She bore the maiden name of
Jennie M. Hall and is a native of Trumbull county, Ohio, her birth having
there occurred November 12, 1829. She can trace her ancestry back to the
Mayflower and several generations of the family were represented in New
England and the east. Her parents were Elijah and Anna Hall, both natives
of New Jersey, born near the town of Columbus. Mr. Hall, who devoted his
life to mechanical pursuits, removed to Trumbull county, Ohio after his mar-
riage and there worked at his trade for many years, after which he took up
his abode in Ashtabula county, Ohio. At the latter place he also followed
his trade for a few years, but on account of advanced age eventually gave up
hard work and retired from active life. Later he and his wife made their
home with their married children in different parts of the country; both are
now deceased, however.

Their daughter Jennie was reared and educated in the county of her
nativity and in early womanhood gave her hand in marriage to Henry
Thomas, of Connecticut. His parents were natives of that state but spent
the greater part of their lives in Ohio and there eventually passed away.
Henry Thomas was a jeweler by trade and following his marriage engaged
in that line of business in Gustavus, Ohio, for a few years, after which he
removed to Fremont, Ohio, where he worked at his trade during his remain-
ing days, his death there occurring in 1889. There were two children by
that marriage, the elder being Eva B., now the wife of Thomas L. Mulinix,
who is engaged in the wholesale jewelry business in Kansas City. He is a
native of Lancaster, Ohio, and a son of James W. Mulinix, who owned a
large flour mill in Lancaster, Ohio, but afterward removed to Toledo, that
state, where he engaged in merchandising until his business was destroyed
by fire. He then became a resident of Chicago, where he resided until his
death. His son, Thomas L. Mulinix, is a prominent wholesale jewelry dealer
of Kansas City, with offices at No. 318 Century building, but spends most of
his time in traveling and selling his goods, leaving his son in charge of the in-



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 181

terests in Kansas City. There was but one child born unto Mr. and Mrs.
Thomas Mulinix — Thomas Wilbur W., who now acts as manager of his fath-
er's wholesale jewelry business in the Century building. He married Bessie
Steward and they reside at No. 3316 East Twenty-first street. Mr. Mulinix
has a sister, Miss Minnie E. Mulinix, who is a leading musician of Chicago.
Mary Elizabeth, the younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas, is now
the wife of Charles Waldorf, a resident of Wichita, Kansas.

Following the death of her first husband, Mrs. Thomas became the wife
of Henry Phillips, who now resides ten miles south of Hillsdale, Michigan.
After her second marriage Mrs. Phillips remained in Michigan for a few
years and since that time has made her home with her daughters, remaining
with Mrs. Mulinix in Kansas City since 1900. She is now seventy-eight years
of age but is a remarkably well preserved woman. Her daughter, Mrs. Muli-
nix, spends considerable time in traveling with her husband, but since the
establishment of the wholesale jewelry business here they have purchased
a nice home at No. 3005 East Twenty-fifth street, where they and her mother
reside. Mrs. Phillips is the owner of some valuable property near Hillsdale,
Michigan, and is quite well to do. She has made some warm friends during
her residence in Kansas City and Mr. and Mrs. Mulinix are also prominent
in social circles here.



WILLIAM H. McCRUM.

William H. McCrum, organizer and vice president of the Orthwein-
McCrum Investment Company of Kansas City, was here born on the 9th of
September, 1877. His father, John S. McCrum, was superintendent of
motive power for the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Missouri Railroad for more
than thirty years and died in 1899. His wife bore the maiden name of
Sarah H. Hammond.

In the common schools William H. McCrum began his education and,
passing through consec*utive grades, became a high-school student. At the
age of seventeen he entered the office of the auditing department of the Kan-
sas City, Fort Scott & Missouri Railroad, where he remained for six years
in various capacities, receiving many promotions. As there was nothing
further for him to expect there in the way of advancement and desirous of
getting into some commercial line with greater possibilities, he resigned to
accept a position with H. P. Wright & Company, stock and bond brokers,
with whom he continued until 1905. He then withdrew and engaged in the
same line of business on his own account. In March, 1907, he joined Charles
Orthwein and J. D. White in organizing the Orthwein-McCrum Investment
Company, of which Mr. Orthwein is president; Mr. McCrum, vice president;
and J. D. White, secretary and treasurer. They do a large business in local se-
curities and also have private wires to the Chicago grain market and the New
York stock markets. They have a large suite of offices, centrally located at
No. 1010 Baltimore avenue on the ground floor of the Dwight building.



182 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

Mr. McCrum ls a member of the Kansas City Club and the Kansas City
Athletic Club. He is an intelligent young man of business ability, whose use-
fulness and success will undoubtedly increase as the years ptiss. By nature
he is social, yet modest and unassuming in manner, his friends, however,
finding him a congenial companion.



STEPHEN NORTHROP DWIGHT.

Stephen Northrop Dwight, wlio spent his last days in Kansas City, was
prominently identified with the development of the west as a representative
of financial, banking and mining interests. His superior business ability,
enterprise and ready grasp of a situation, enabled him to become closely
associated with the establishment and successful conduct of enterprises which
proved important factors in the growth and progress of this section of the
country.

The Dwight family were originally from England. The founder of
the family in America was one John Dwight, who settled at Dadham, Mass-
achusetts. Stephen N. Dwight was born in Belchertown, Massachusetts, on
the 10th day of June, 1853, in the same house in which his father and
grandfather were born. His mother was Sarah Elizabeth Northrop, of Con-
necticut. His father, Cory don G. Dwight, was engaged in the manufacture