Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 25 of 65)
Online LibraryCarrie Westlake WhitneyKansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) → online text (page 25 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


consecutive grades till he completed the high school course and put aside



254 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

his text-books at the age of seventeen year.- and worki'd upon his father's
farm until coming to America.

Attracted by the favorable reports concerning opportunities in the new
\\orld, he sailed for the United States in 1879, landing in New York city,
on the 27th of Aj^ril. He made his way direct to Kansas City, his choice
of a location being influenced by the fact that his brother Patrick and other
relatives were residing here. Plis tinancial condition made it imper-
ative that he secure immediate employment and he soon obtained a situa-
tion in the freight department of the Burlington Railroad Company, where
he remained until June, 1882. On the 14th of that month he became con-
nected with the police department under Thomas M. Spears and was at
headquarters for six or seven years. Faithful to every duty assigned to him
and complying not only with the letter but with the spirit of the law, he
gained promotion to the rank of sergeant in 1887 and on the 4th of May,
1889, was jDromoted to captain. He has since served in that capacity at dif-
ferent stations and has now been in charge of station No. 4 for six years.
This is situated in the worst district of the city, but he has made its. resi-
dents amenable to law, laboring untiringly in the faithful and capable pros-
ecution of the duties of the office.

In Kansas City, at St. Patrick's church, Captain Thomas P. Flahive,
was married on the 2()th of November, 1888, by the Rev. Father Walsh, to
Miss Lizzie Burns, who was born in Ray county, Missouri, a daughter of
the late James Burns, a merchant of that county. Captain and ^Irs. Fhdiive
now have one child, John Joseph, eighteen years of age. He is a graduate
of the Kansas City high school and is now a shipping clerk with the West-
ern Grocery Company. The family residence is at No. 1109 Agnes street
and was erected by Captain Flahive in 1898. His social relations are with
the Knights of Columbus and his religious views are indicated by his mem-
bership in St. Aloysius Catholic church. In politics he is a democrat but
takes only a citizen's interest in the political situation, as he does not be-
lieve in the active interference of the police officers with political work. He
has never had occasion to regret his determination to seek a home in Amer-
ica, but found tliaf tlic reports which had reached him concerning its oppor-
1 1 11 lilies were true and that the road to success and public usefulness was
open to ii1l. riradually lie has advanced, and he is now filling an important
position ill niuiiicipal circles.



EUGENE G. E. JACCARD.

The histroy of Missouri in its early development ccMiters aroniid certain
French and Swiss names — names of families whose representatives are mnn-
bered among the early builders of this commonwealth, while the later gener-
ations of the family have carried on the work of their forefathers through
their business activity and enterprise, which have contributed in substantial
measure to Missouri's development. The name of Jaccard has been a most




EUGENE G. E. JACCARD.



T . . . .. '! ''ORK
PUBLIC uIBRARY



ASTOR, LENOX
TILDCN FC UN NATIONS



"S



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 257

prominent one in the state and has figured conspicuously in connection with
the jewelry trade both in St. Louis and in Kansas City. Eugene G. E.
Jaccard was its representative in this connection in the latter city until
recent years, but is now in Christian Science practice.

He was born in St. Louis, September 28, 1861, a son of D. C. and
Eugenie (Chipron) Jaccard. The father was born at St. Croix, Switzer-
land, and the mother in Paris, France. The paternal grandfather lived and
died in Switzerland and was one of the expert watchmakers of that country,
which has ever been noted for its superior workmanship in that line. The
maternal grandfather, J. G. Chipron, was a native of Paris, who, crossing
the Atlantic to America, spent his last days in Highland, Illinois, where he
died at the age of seventy-seven years. He was a man of fine personal ap-
pearance, tall and well formed, and reared a large family.

D. C. Jaccard, father of our subject, gained comprehensive knowledge
of watchmaking in his native country and has always been identified with
the jewelry business. The opportunities of the new world attracted him' and,
believing that his chances for business advancement were better in the United
States than in the land of the Alps, he crossed the ocean in 1845 and has
since been a resident of St. Louis. The name of Jaccard is a most honored
and leading one in commercial circles of that city and the house of which
he was vice president stands second to none west of New York city in the
character of the goods which it handles and in the volume of its trade. He
is a member of the Presbyterian church, as was his wife, who died in 1865.
Their family numbered four children, two of whom survive, namely: Eu-
genie, the wife of Alfred Perillard, of Lausanne, Switzerland; and Eugene.

The last named was reared in his native city save that he spent some
time in study abroad after acquiring a knowledge of the elemental branches
of learning in the public schools of St. Louis. When a youth of ten years
he went to Switzerland, was for two and a half years a student in a school
at Yverdon and later continued his education in Ludwigsburg and Stuttgart,
Germany, where he remained until 1874. Returning to St. Louis in that
year, he became a student in Kemper's Family School, of Boonville, Mis-
souri, from which he was graduated in 1877. He then again crossed the
Atlantic for the purpose of perfecting himself in the watchmaking trade at
Locle, Switzerland, under one of the expert watchmakers of that country.
In September, 1880, he again arrived in his native land and entered the
employ of the Mermod & Jaccard Jewelry Company, of St. Louis, as office
boy. The fact that his father was one of the partners in the house was not
used to procure him an easy time. On the contrary he had to do his part in
the routine work of the store as any other employe and thus gained a thor-
ough business training. He afterward served for a time as entry clerk and
as salesman and he eagerly availed himself of every opportunity for thor-
oughly mastering the business in every particular. Coming to Kansas City
in September, 1888, he here organized the Jaccard Watch & Jewelry Com-
pany, of which he continued as president until February, 1895., In January,
1893, the house was destroyed by fire, the company suffering a severe loss.
They soon resumed business, however, carrying an extensive and elegant



258 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

assortment of watches, clocks and jewelry, including some of the finest
productions of the old world. Mr. Jaccard remained at the head of the
company until November 1, 1895, when he withdrew and entered into part-
nership with W. B. Johnson, under the name of Johnson, Jaccard & Com-
pany, in the fire, casuality and tornado insurance business, maintaining the
place which he always occupied as one of the foremost business men of the
city. In 1896 Mr. Jaccard became a member of the Christian Science church
and has been treasurer of the Second Church of Christ, Scientist, at Thirty-
first street and Troost avenue, one of the most beautiful structures in the
United States. Since 1898 he has been a Christian Science practitioner.

While a successful business enterprise is alwaysl a feature in a city's
development, growth and substantial progress, Mr. Jaccard has in other
ways been active in promoting the welfare and upbuilding of the city. He
was president in 1895 of the Kansas City Karnival Krewe, which came into
existence for the purpose of adding to the fall festivities and thus attracting
additional visitors to the city, also creating amusements to keep them longer
in the community. Thousands of visitors each year now attend this great
fall festival and the railroads reported a much larger number in 1895 than
in any previous year. No movement for the benefit of the city solicits his
cooperation in vain. On the contrary, he has given liberally of his time
and means to aid in public progress and he is preeminently a public-spirited
citizen, whose efforts have been far-reaching and beneficial. In politics he
is an earnest republican but without desire for official preferment.

Mr. Jaccard was married June 18, 1884, to Miss Lena Dings, a daughter
of Frederick Dings, and unto them have been born four children : Frederick
Constant, Eugenie, Gilbert Eugene and Walter Bird. Both Mr. and Mrs.
Jaccard hold membership in the Christian Science church and he has at-
tained high rank in Masonry, taking the thirty-second degree of the Scot-
tish Rite. He also belongs to Kansas City Commandery, No. 10, K. T., and
to Ararat Temple of the Mystic Shrine and was likewise chancellor of Benton
Council, No. 22, of the Legion of Honor of Missouri. Admirable social
qualities and unfeigned cordiality have rendered him very popular and he is
at all times approachable, displaying in business and social circles qualities
which win esteem, consideration and kindly regard.



J. A. L. WAD'DELL.



Kansas City has reason to be proud of many of her residents — men
who have attained leadership in many walks of life and have left their
impress upon the industrial, commercial, intellectual and moral progress
of the country. If intense, well directed activity and successful accomplish-
ments entitle one to be termed a ''captain of industry," Dr. Waddell may
thus well be designated, for the consensus of public opinion recognizes in
him one of the most famous bridoie builder* of the world.



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 259

His birthplace was at Port Hope, Canada, and his natal year 1854.
From early boyhood he has manifested a taste for engineering, and has
directed his labors in those walks of life for which nature undoubtedly in-
tended him. When seventeen years of age he became a student in the
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, at Troy, New York, where he continued
for four years, and thus well qualified for work of that character he entered
upon a situation in the marine department of the Canadian government at
Ontario. Not long after he began work on the Canadian Pacific Railway
and later he did engineering work in a coal mine in West Virginia, where
he remained, however, for only a brief time. He was then appointed assist-
ant to the professor of rational and technical mechanics in the Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute, where he continued as an instructor for two years,
after which he accepted the position of engineer of construction for a bridge
building firm at Council Bluffs, Iowa. This was his business association
until 1882, when he was appointed professor of civil engineering in the
Imperial University at Tokio, Japan, the offer coming to him as a result
of his technical writings in engineering jouranls.

Before leaving for Japan, McGill Univen-ity at Montreal, Canada,
conferred on him the ad eundem gradwm degree of Bachelor of Applied
Sciences, as a result of his writings, and later he took there the higher de-
gree of Master of Engineering. Dr. Waddell has written largely upon
engineering in its various phases, and while in Japan, at the request of the
government, he wrote a treatise on "A system of Iron Railway Bridges for
Japan," and as a reward the emperor bestowed upon him the rank of Knight
Commander of the Order of the Rising Sun — valuable only for the compli-
ment and the decorative jewel which always accompanies the degree.

Upon his return to the United States Dr. Waddell settled in Kansas
City, where he opened an office. He has since been engaged in civil
engineering with headquarters here, making a specialty in his operations
of bridge building. So wide a reputation has he won that he has been
called upon to construct bridges not only throughout the entire continent
but also abroad. In 1904 Dr. Waddell received from McGill University the
degree of Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) and from Missouri State University that of
Doctor of Laws (LL.D.). In 1898 he published a book entitled De Pontibus, a
complete and exhaustive treatise on bridge building. Recently Dr. Waddell has
been working out plans in connection with the project for building the
Trans- Alaska-Siberian Railw-ay; and on the 7th of May, 1907, he received
a decoration from Grand Duchess Olga, sister of the Czar, in recognition
of his work as principal engineer of that railroad. This decoration is
bestowed only on persons who have rendered the Russian empire some im-
portant service.

Dr. Waddell, says a contemporary publication, ''is far from the type of
the dry scientist. He is a capital fisherman and shot and one of the best
whist players of the west." Like all broad-minded men, he recognizes the
value as well as the pleasure of recreation. There is perhaps no biography
in this volume which indicates more clearly what is meant by the term
the dignity of labor. Starting at the bottom round of the ladder he has



260 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

steadily worked his way upward, winning recognition from crowned heads
of Europe and Asia, while in America he has almost revolutionized the
science of bridge building in the last quarter of a century. He is every-
where known as a great authority on bridges and his word as a consulting
engineer is conclusive.



GEORGE L. BROWN.

George L. Brown is now practically retired from business, although he
is still senior partner of the firm of George L. Brown & Son, contractors
and builders of Kansas City, in which connection he has done much for the
city's improvement through many years, his labors being an element in its
substantial growth and adornment, while at the same time he has derived
therefrom substantial benefits.

A native of Montreal, Canada, he was born August 19, 1842. His
father, Samuel Brown, a contractor and builder, came to America from
Belfast, Ireland, soon after his marriage to Miss Ann Fullerton, who was
born in Edinburgh, Scotland. They became residents of Montreal in 1839
and about 1845 removed to Buffalo, New York. The year 1849 witnessed
their arrival in St. Louis, Missouri, whence they proceeded by way of the
Missouri river to St. Joseph, in search of a favorable location. They stopped
at many points en route but after a brief period Mr. Brown returned to
Buffalo, where he remained until 1852. In that year he established his
home in Kansas City, where he resided for five years, and in the spring of
1857 started for California with ox-teams, his route being by way of Gal-
veston. He only proceeded as far as Fort Smith, Arkansas, however, and
there remained until 1859, when he returned to Kansas City, where he
made his permanent home. George L. Brown is the second of the three
survivors of the family of five children, his brother, Robert S. Brown, the
oldest, having for thirty years figured in the business circles of Kansas City
as a florist, while Samuel Brown is living near Sedalia, Missouri.

George L. Brown pursued his education in the Kansas City Academy
conducted by Professor R. S. Thomas, first pastor of the First Baptist church
of Kansas City and later the first professor in the William Jewell College.
Following the erection of the First Baptist church at the corner of Eighth
and Central streets in 1858, Mr. Brown attended a private school therein
conducted by Professor Joseph Chandler and in 1859 entered upon his busi-
ness career as an apprentice to the carpenter's trade in the firm of Dear-
dorff & Adams. His term of indenture continued until 1862 and during
that period he was engaged on the construction of some of the prominent
buildings of the early days, including the State Bank of Missouri at Second
and Main streets, afterward used as the office of the Santa Fe Stage Coach
Company, a view of which appears in this volume. Mr. Brown also worked
on the constniction of the residence of Louis Deardorff at Sixth and Wyan-
dotte streets, and the old Coates residence at Tenth and Broadwav.



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 261

When building practically ceased during the period of the Civil war,
he joined the Seventy-seventh Regiment of Enrolled Missouri Militia under
Colonel Coates and served with that command until the spring of 1863,
participating in the battle of Independence against the bushwhackers. In
March, 1863, he was granted a parole by Colonel Coates and Captain Foster
to drive a team on the freighting line to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and at that
point went to work at his trade, remaining there for two years. In the
spring of 1866 he returned to Kansas City and was again employed at his
trade by various contractors until the spring of 1873, when he engaged in
business on his own account. He superintended the construction of a pump-
ing house on Turkey creek in 1873-4, and the Virginia Hotel, at Eleventh
and Washington streets. He built the residence of Bernard Corrigan at
Seventeenth and Summit! streets, and soon gained rank with the leading
builders of the city, a position which he has occupied to the present time,
and a greater percentage of the more prominent business blocks of Kansas
City have been constructed by him, as a member of the firm of George L.
Brown & Son, than by any other contractor. Among these are the Armour
offices and many of the large wholesale houses and warehouses of the w^est
bottoms. He erected, under contract, the building for the Burnham-Hanna-
-Munger Dry Goods Company and the Burnham-Munger Manufacturing
Company; also the business blocks of Swofford Brothers, the Smith-Mc-
Cord-Townsend Company, Faxon & Gallagher, Maxwell, McClure and Fitts,
William "^^oelker & Sons, together with a majority of the large mercantile
arid office buildings. They erected the First National Bank building and
are now engaged on the New England National Bank building. About
ten years ago our subject admitted his son Samuel J. Brown to a partner-
ship. The son had served an apprenticeship under his father and when he
became his partner the firm name of George L. Brown & Son w^as assumed.
The latter now largely conducts the business, with George L. Brown merely
as an advisory member of the firm, for he has practically retired from active
management. He is interested to a large extent in Kansas City real estate,
having embraced favorable opportunities from time to time for judicious
investment. He owns a beautiful house at the northwest corner of Twenty-
ninth street and Benton boulevard, one of the most de.'iirable locations in
the city.

Mr. Brown cast his first presidential ballot for Abraham Lincoln and
has supported each nominee at the head of the national repuljlican ticket
since that time. For thirty-five years he has been an Odd Fellow and is
thoroughly loyal to the teachings of the order. He has been a member of
the First Baptist church since its organization and is now superintending the
construction of the new house of worship for that congregation, a one hun-
dred thousand dollar building, at the corner of Park avenue and Linwood
boulevard.

On the 29th of August, 1866, Mr. Brown was married to Catharine
Anderson, a daughter of Joseph Anderson, one of the pioneer business men
of Kansas City. They became parents of two sons and two daughters:
Helen Nelson, the wife of Mark Hatch, of New York city; Samuel J.,



262 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

who is his father's partner; Agnes Belle, the wife of A. L. Clark, credit man
for the Ricksecker Cigar Company, of Kansas City; and George R., who
died in infancy more than twenty years ago. Both daughters are very
active in church and charitable work, and the younger daughter', Mrs. Clark,
who makes her home with her father, is also a member of many of the
women's clubs of the city and prominent in social circles. Mr. Brown has
devoted his life to his business interests and his home, and his close api^lica-
tion, combined with his superior skill and knowledge of the builder's art.
gained him distinction and success in his chosen field of labor.



WILLIAM ASHLEY RULE.

Not too busy for courtesy, not too much occupied with financial cares
for the display of kindliness and consideration in his relations with others,
there are few^ men in business life so uniformly popular as William Ashley
Rule, the cashier of the National Bank of Commerce in Kansas City. He
possesses, too, a force of character, a keen insight, and sagacity in manage-
ment that have made him a valued factor in banking circles and led to his
promotion to the responsible position which he today occupies in connec-
tion with one of the leading moneyed institutions of the middle west.

A native of St. Louis, his life record began on the 3d of September,
1858, a son of Orville G. and Margaret (Ashley) Rule. The paternal grand-
father, William Kennett Rule, was one of the pioneers of St. Louis. His
fathex, born in St. Louis, was a lifelong resident of that city and for several
years was engaged in a contracting business, after which he became a mem-
ber of the St. Louis Shot Tower Company, one of the oldest establishments
of its kind in the country. He was manager of the business and was an
active, aggressive man, recognized as a strong force in industrial circles and
in fact in every relation of life in which he was found. He died .suddenly
in October, 1884, while sitting at the desk where he had carried on his work
for forty years. His wife, a native of Virginia, became a resident of Mis-
souri in early life.

William Ashley Rule enjoyed the educational advantages afforded by
the public and high schools of St. Louis and took his initial step in business
as collector for the East St. Louis Transfer Company and R. P. Tansey, later
prasident of the St. Louis Transfer Company. He entered upon active con-
nection with the banking business as mcsseng(T in the Hibernian Bank, but
that institution failed and he went to the Third National Bank in the same
capacity. Plis health was impaired, but the utmost care ena.})led him to
overcome any physical disadvantages and the al)ility which he displayed
made his rise a rapid one. When he resigned from the Third National
Bank in May, 1887, he was serving as exchange teller. He then accepted
a position as chief clerk in the National Bank of Commerce in Kansas City,
was elected in 1889 as second assistant cashier, while in January, 1895, he
was promoted to the position of cashier, which position he still fills. He is




W. A. RULE.



.BivARY



ASTOR, LENOX
TlLDr.N FCiJNBATIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 265

now one of the directors and stockholders of the bank and is regarded as
one of the most reliable financiers in Kansas City and one of its best known
business men. He has studied the banking business from every standpoint,
understands it in every detail and has contributed largely to the success
which has attended the^ National Bank of Commerce since his connection
therewith, covering a period of many years.

Mr. Rule is also one of the incorporators of the Kansas City, Mexico
& Orient Railroad and is treasurer of the same. He is a director and member
of the executive committee of the Kansas City Life Insurance Company,
and is treasurer of the International Construction Company and the Union
Construction Company, which is building the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient
Railroad. He is also treasurer of the United States & Mexico Trust Com-
pany, and a director of the Commerce Trust Company.

In citizenship public spirited and progressive, Mr. Rule has been a help-
ful factor in all movements for general advancement and improvement,
giving tangible aid to various measures that have contributed to the up-
building of Kansas City, making it the commercial and industrial center
which it is today. He was a member and the treasurer of the committee
appointed to secure the democratic convention for Kansas City in 1900.
He is a member and treasurer of the Elm Ridge Club; is treasurer of the
Kansas City Jockey Club; and has been president of the Kansas City Horse
Show for five years. He is also a member of the Evanston Golf Club, the
Railroad Club, the Kansas City Athletic Club, the Kansas City Club and the
Country' Club and a director in the Kansas City Driving and Driving Park
Clubs. He is also an Elk and holds office in several social and commercial
organizations. In politics he is a gold democrat.

On the 21st of December, 1880, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Rule
and Miss Lizzie Harrison, a daughter of John D. Harrison, of St. Louis,
and they now have three children. Mr. Rule is a man of fine personal ap-



Online LibraryCarrie Westlake WhitneyKansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) → online text (page 25 of 65)