Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 27 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

who had more warm personal friends or who more thoroughly merited the
high esteem in which he was held than William H. Montgall.

Mrs. Montgall is also a member of the Calvary Baptist church and is
deeply interested in its growth and upbuilding. She resided at the corner
of Thirteenth and Locust streets until a few years ago, when she erected
her present fine stone residence at No. 1019 East Armour boulevard, where
she and her son now reside, this being one of the fine homes on the boule-
vard. She also spends much time visiting with her aged father at Inde-
pendence. Montgall street, a prominent residence thoroughfare of the city,
was named in honor nf the familv.



JAMES G. ADKINS.

By the death of James G. Adkins, on the 31st of July, 1897, Kansas City
sustained an irreparable loss, for he was one of its most honorable and upright
men. Death often removes from our midst men whom we can ill afford to
lose, whose lives have been all that is exemplary of the true and thereby the
really great citizen. Such a one was Mr. Adkins, whose whole career, both
business and social, served as a model to the young and an inspiration to
the aged. He shed a brightness around everything with which he came in
contact. His life was one of usefulness and of benevolence and the spirit
of kindliness, justice, generosity and of helpfulness permeated all that he did.

Mr. Adkins was born on the 10th of March, 1834, in Georgetown, Scott
county, Kentuck}^ and was but two years of age when his parents removed
to Clay county, Missouri, his father settling on a farm about two and a half
miles southwest of the town of Liberty. There he w^as reared as a farm lad,
enjoying the advantages of outdoor life, the freedom and the exercise upon
which so many successful careers have been based. He supplemented his
early education by study in William Jewell College, from which he was grad-
uated and after the completion of his education he engaged in the drug busi-
ness at Liberty for eight years — from 1855 until 1863. Disposing of his
store, he became interested in freighting between the Missouri river, Denver



276 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

and Salt Lake, continuing in that business until 1866, when he became identi-
fid with the Valley Woolen Mills, his business connection continuing until his
removal to Kansas City in 1880. In this way he contributed to the com-
mercial and industrial prosperity of Liberty and that he was one of its prom-
inent and influential citizens is also indicated by the fact that he was chosen
mayor of the town and was also elected to the office of sheriff of Clay county.
On coming to Kansas City he entered the Bank of Commerce, where he re-
mained for ten years, when he embarked upon an independent business
.venture, establishing an insurance agency as representative of the Mutual Re-
serve Insurance Company of New York and the Fidelity Life Insurance Com-
pany of Philadelphia. He soon succeeded in securing a good clientage and
annually wrote a large amount of insurance, being recognized as one of the
foremost insurance agents of the city.

Mr. Adkins was married in the year 1856 to Miss Mary Keller, of
Liberty, Missouri, and unto them were born two sons and two daughters.
The eldest son, Dr. James M. Adkins, is now a practicing physician of Kansas
City and the manager of the Grand Central Pharmacy at No. 404 Wyandotte
street, while his residence is at No. 333 Askew street. Charles, the second son,
is an insurance broker of Kansas City, and the daughters, Mrs. L. F. Rieger
and Miss Laura Adkins, also reside here.

While living in Liberty, Missouri, Mr. Adkins held membership in the
Baptist church and took much interest in church work. He was a very prom-
inent Odd Fellow, widely known in this connection throughout the state,
being grand high priest of the grand encampment, the second highest posi-
tion in that branch in the order. He also held high rank in the military
branch of the order, or canton, being lieutenant colonel, and his funeral
services were conducted with the honors of that organization. Perhaps no
better testimonial of his life work and his character can be given than to
present in full the resolutions of the Kansas City encampment passed at the
time of his death: "It is with a quivering hand and an aching heart that
we have to announce to this encampment the loss of one of its members, in
the past chief patriarch and grand high priest of this jurisdiction, James G.
Adkins, who died July 31, 1897. Death came to him suddenly and without
a moment's warning and took him away without an apparent struggle, in the
fullness of a strong, well matured manhood; and as the sad tidings came to
us it brought a shock not to be forgotten and a deep sadness that lingers about
our hearts.

"Patriarch Adkins was not only prominent in his physical manhood,
with his genial countenance, but prominent in intellect, in integrity, in moral
and religious influences, in his uncompromising and unrelenting defense of
honest convictions, in the positiveness and force of his character. Such men
are not forgotten but ahvays leave their impress and live in memory. As a
citizen he commanded universal respect. He was always active and influential
in favor of the elevation and purity of society and the highest degree of
morals. He was untiring and uncompromising in continuous war against
corrupting influences. We have lost his companionship and the realization
of that loss fills us with sadness. For a time we shall vainly long for the touch



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 277

of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is still. He loved his
brethren and was ever gentle, kind and considerate to his fellowmen, regard-
less of wealth or station.

" 'He wounded none with jeer or jest, yet bore no honeyed tongue;
Was social with the gray-haired and merry with the young.
He gravely shared the council speech, or joined the rustic game,
And shone as Nature's gentleman in every place the same.'

''He was genial, companionable and sympathetic, and he who enjoyed
with him an intimate friendship had a friend indeed and in truth, who could
not be made to falter. He carried with him everywhere, in public and in
private, a large hearted charity; and while for the base and low his contempt
was always great, yet for the poor and unfortunate his heart was always melted
with tenderness and sympathy. He was broad and high in his conception
of religious attainment and Christian triumph; in his appreciation of God's
great plans and purposes ; in man's elevation to a higher and better life.

"Patriarch Adkins became an Odd Fellow in 1856, being initiated into
Liberty Lodge, No. 49, at Liberty, Missouri. December 31, 1886, he placed
his membership in Kansas City Lodge, No. 257, at Kansas City. He became
a member of Clay encampment. No. 12, in 1858, and transferred his mem-
bership to this encampment December 30, 1886, where he held his mem-
bership the remainder of his days. His trueness, zeal and signal ability as
an Odd Fellow soon placed him upon the roll of honor and started him into
positions of preferment and prominence. He served for many years as dis-
trict deputy grand master and deputy grand patriarch; and step by step had
attained the honorable position of grand high priest. Wherever duty called
him, to near or distant lodges, whether through calm or stormy weather, his
response was ever prompt, hearty and cheerful. To know him was but to
love him as an Odd Fellow, and whoever came in contact with him, whether
the humblest or the proudest of the fraternity, it was but to feel the hearty
grasp of an open hand, the thrill and warmth of a great and generous heart.
He delighted to encourage the weak and exalt the humble. He made all
Odd Fellows feel, wherever he met them, that he was indeed their brother.
He was a safe adviser, a wise counselor, a faithful and efficient worker, and
an ever willing helper in the cause of Odd Fellowship. We who have so
often heard in the halls of Odd Fellows his familiar voice, his animated tone,
his strong arguments, his earnest appeals, as with the power of eloquence he
seemed to pour out his very soul in behalf of what he believed to be the
best interests of our great order, are deeply saddened today by the thought
that we can neither see nor hear him more on this earth. We look and listen
in vain, for he is gone. Gone to the glorious reward of the faithful; gone
where earnest labors have their rich reward; gone to where error sinks and
truth rises; gone where the false is banished, and true merit shines out for-
ever; gone where, upon his noble brow, throughout eternity there will be a
crown of victory. And as we now pause to bid him this formal yet truly
sad farewell, be it earnestly



278 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

"Resolved, That the name of the Past Chief Patriarch and Grand High
Priest James G. Adkins be held sacred in our memories; that his loyalty, his
noble services, his efficient services in behalf of Odd Fellowship will not be
forgotten. That we prize the noble record of his life as a far greater heritage
than the rich mines of gold ; that we shall always remember him as a brilliant
star in the firmament of Odd Fellowship; that we regard his pure life and
able services as a ceaseless benediction and an immeasureable treasure to our
great order; that we will hold dear his wise admonitions and seek to follow
his worthy example, and maintain that high standard, which, in his noble
life and character, he has presented for our imitation.

"Resolved, That this report be spread upon the records of this encamp-
ment."



CAPTAIN JOHN F. ENEBERG.

Captain John F. Eneberg, deceased, was the president of the Kansas
City Lumber Company and one of the leading business men of western Mis-
souri. With the passing years he prospered in his undertakings and, making
judicious investments in real estate, became the owner of property all over
the city. His residence here dated from 1880 and continued to the time of
his demise. He was a native of Sweden, born December 21, 1825. His
parents both died in that country during the boyhood of their son John, who
Avas the youngest and the last survivor of a family of brothers and sisters.
He attended public schools in his native country and at the age of fifteen
years started out in life on his own account, securing al clerkship in a grocery
store in his native town. He was thus connected with mercantile interests
there until twenty-eight years of age, when the favorable reports which he
had heard concerning America led him to the belief that he might have
better business opportunities in the new world. Accordingly he determined
to try his fortune in the United States and sailed for New York, whence ho
made his way direct to Lexington, Missouri. There he began in the grocery
business, which he conducted with success at' that point for some time. AVhile
there residing he was married on the 13th of November, 1854, to Mi~s
Emogene Jones, a native of Lexington, Missouri. Her parents were both
natives of Pennsylvania, whence they removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, and
afterward to Lexington, Missouri, being pioneers of the latter place, where
they resided until called to their final rest.

Captain Eneberg was engaged in the grocery business in Lexington at
the time of the outbreak of the Civil war. Almost immedintely afterward
he. enlisted and a few days later ho organized a company, of which he was
made captain. It was a part of McPherin's regiment and he served with his
command until the close of the war. Although he participated in many
hotly contested engagements he was never wounded, although the hard«hips
and rigors of war undermined his health. At the close of hostilities, without
receiving a formal discharge, he returned to Lexington and again became
connected with its business interests as a grocer. He likewise extended his









Bft



JOHN F. ENEBERG.



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 281

energies to the lumber trade and at the same time was engaged in railroad
contracting, building six miles of the Chicago & Alton Railroad through
Lexington and vicinity.

About 1875 Captain Eneberg disposed of his business in Lexington and
in connection with a Mr. Bates founded a small town near by, on the line of
the recently constructed Chicago & Alton Railroad. They named the place
Bates City and there Captain Eneberg and Mr. Bates engaged in the lumber
business and in general trade for several years or until 1879, when they
suffered heavy losses by fire. The following year Captain Eneberg
removed to Kansas City, where in connection with two others he organized
the Kansas City Lumber Company, with offices and lumberyard at the corner
of Twentieth and Walnut streets. He was made president and treasurer of
the company and so continued in business until his health failed, when
in 1902 he decided to retire, although he still continued to hold the office
of treasurer of the company throughout his remaining days. During his
last several years he was in ill health. In connection with the lumber busi-
ness he likewise engaged in the real-estate business, making many purchases
and sales and owning much valuable property all over the city. With keen
discernment he recognized the opportunities for wise investment and was
seldom, if ever, at error in judging the value of property or its possibilities
for appreciation in price.

The life work of Captain Eneberg was brought to a close on the 7th of
July, 1904. He held several public offices in Lexington, including that of
alderman, and was a stanch republican in politics but never sought nor desired
office after he came to Kansas City. He belonged to the Knights of Pythias
fraternity and the lodge in which he h^ld membership conducted his funeral
services. He was also a charter member of the Commercial Club and was
ever greatly interested in the welfare and development of the city, cooperat-
ing with the club in many of its movements for municipal growth and prog-
ress. He was preeminently a self-made man and arose from an humble
position to one of wealth and affluence. He was very industrious, being at
his place of business at seven o'clock in the morning, while his evenings
were always spent at home. He gave close and assiduous attention to all of
the interests and details of his business and his wise judgment and keen
discernment were manifest in the success which attended him. In all of
his business dealings, too, he was thoroughly reliable and straightforward
and thus won an honored name.

Mrs. Eneberg is a member of the First Christian church of Kansas City.
She owns and occupies a nice residence at No. 1606 McGee street, w^hich was
built by Captain Eneberg in 1886. Her property interests are quite exten-
sive. She also owns three houses on West Eighteenth street, two at the corner
of Twenty-first and Penn streets, one on Twentieth street, one on Highland
street and one in Kansas City, Kansas, which properties are bringing to her
a very gratifying rental. She is the last of the old families who located in
the vicinity of Sixteenth and McGee streets in pioneer days. Since her hus-
band's death she has adopted a son, Tycho E. Gerdin, who is now twenty-six
years of age. He manages the business interests for his mother, cares for the



282 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

property, makes collections and has been of much assistance to Mrs. Eneberg
in the control of her business interests. He is, moreover, a fine musician and
very popular in musical circles of the city.

On the death of Mr. Eneberg the following resolutions were passed:

Whereas, Death has removed from our midst John F. Eneberg on July
7, 1904; therefore, be it

Resolved, That in him the lumber interests of Kansas City have lost a
true friend and beloved associate, he having been identified with the lumber
trade of our city for a long period of years and having always found him an
honorable, upright and courteous gentleman; be it

Resolved, That we extend to his widow and family our heartfelt sym-
pathy in this, their darkest hour, and commend them to Him who doeth
all things well. Be it further

Resolved, As a mark of respect that a copy of these resolutions be sent
to the family and to the lumber trade journals. Hans Dierks,

W. D. Easley,
A. J. Martin.



GEORGE S. PUGH.



George S. Pugh, during a lifetime of intense and well directed activity,
w^as interested in all that promoted the commercial importance of Kansas City
and contributed not a little toward making the city the commercial and indus-
trial center w^hich it is today. For many years he was engaged in the foundry
business here, arriving in 1887, in which year he established a foundry on
the west levee, conducting the enterprise throughout his remaining days. He
was a native of England, born March 16, 1847. His father, Edward Pugh,
also owned and managed an iron foundry in the town of Willenhall, Eng-
land, about fifteen miles from Birmingham, conducting the enterprise suc-
cessfully throughout his life. Both he and his wife died there. The paternal
grandfather was also an iron merchant in England, and thus three successive
generations of the family had been connected with the same line of trade and
all have been worthy representatives of this great department of industrial
activity.

In the common schools of England George S. Pugh acquired his early
education and his opportunities were somewhat limited owing to the fact that
he was only ten years of age when his father died and he and his brothers
then had to begin work to support the mother and other members of the
family. Pie was employed in a foundry there as a common laborer until
1864, when thinking to find better business opportunities in the new world
he crossed the Atlantic to America. He was just seventeen years of age when,
with four of his brothers, he came to the United States. They settled at
Mineral Ridge, Ohio, where all five secured positions in the blast furnaces of
Jonathan Warner, the well known iron manufacturer. George S. Pugh was



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 283

employed as manager at this furnace, his previous experience well qualifying
him for the position. All of his brothers are now deceased.

It was while residing in Ohio that Mr. Pugh was married to Miss Mar-
garet S. Burson, a native of Mineral Ridge, whose parents resided in that
locality throughout their entire lives, Mr. Burson being engaged in farming.

Following his marriage Mr. Pugh continued as manager of the Jonathan
Warner Blast furnace at Mineral Ridge, Ohio, for fifteen years, and seeking
a broader field of labor, one in which he would have opportunity to engage
in business on his own account, he came to Kansas City in 1887. Here he
established the Pugh Foundry Company, of which he became president, the
plant being located at Nos. 9 to 21 West Levee. The beginning was small
but the business built up gradually and soon assumed extensive proportions,
this being now the largest plant of the kind in the city, furnishing employ-
ment to many workmen. The company manufactures all kinds of castings
and makes a specialty of window weights, having manufactured all the
weights for the large buildings of Kansas City and other western cities. Mr.
Pugh gave close attention to the business and its development and always
had firm faith in the successful outcome of his enterprise. He was notably
prompt, energetic and reliable, never making engagements that he did not
fill nor incurring obligations that he did not meet. He always maintained a
high standard in his business life and relations, and the house which he
founded has from the beginning borne an unassailable reputation for integ-
rity and reliability in all transactions.

Mr. Pugh voted with the republican party, but the emoluments and
honors of office had no attraction for him. He belonged to the Hyde Park
Christian church, of which his wife is still a member, and his life by precept,
example and influence furthered all those worthy causes which had for their
object the development of the city along social, intellectual and moral lines.
He died very suddenly March 7, 1904. His life was a credit to the city and
his labors a tangible element in the commercial prosperity. He made many
friends among his business associates and won the warm esteem of all with
whom he came in contact in other relations of life.



JOHN TITUS.



John Titus belongs to that class of Kansas City's citizens whose connec-
tion with its business life and its social and moral interests makes him a repre-
sentative resident and one whose work is widely acknowledged by his fellow-
men. He is well known here as an optician, doing business at No. 927 Walnut
street. His birth occurred in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 22, 1864, his parents
being John and Mary J. (Sterrett) Titus. The father was a native of Brook-
lyn, New York, and the mother of Cincinnati, Ohio. Removing westward,
Mr. Titus became a wholesale grocer of Cincinnati, where he conducted a
growing and prosperous business for many years, but is now living retired.



284 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

making his home in Glendale, Ohio, where he has resided since his marriage.
His wife, however, passed away on the 22d of February, 1905.

John Titus was reared in his j)arents' home and is indebted to the schools
of Glendale for the education he acquired. In 1881 he secured a position in
the wholesale house of E. J. Wilson & Company, dealers in coffee and spices,
and remained with that firm for seven years, working his way gradually up-
ward to positions of responsibility. In 1888 he resigned in order to remove
to Chicago, where he engaged in business as manufacturers' agent, being thus
employed for three years. On the expiration of that period he took up the
study of ophthalmology through the International School of Optics, of Lon-
don, Ontario, and was graduated in the spring of 1894, He then came to
Kansas City, since which time he has been engaged in the optical business
here, and is today one of the well known and successful representatives of his
profession in Kansas City. He is thoroughly familiar with the science which
underlies the business and has given general satisfaction to his patrons, so that
his trade is constantly increasing.

Mr. Titus was married June 27, 1894, to Miss Elizabeth Sims, of Kansas
City, who was a native of Cincinnati, Ohio. They now have one child, Ster-
rett Sims. The family residence is at No. 3315 Wabash avenue, where Mr.
Titus owns a modern home. He is a member of the Knife and Fork Club,
of Kansas City, and a republican in politics, while his religious faith is indi-
cated by his membership in the Central Presbyterian church. He has never
sought to figure prominently before the public in any light, but has put a
correct valuation upon the opportunities and conditions of life, both in its
business and social relations, and his influence is ever found on the side of
progress and improvement.



HOWARD VANDERSLICE.

Howard Vanderslice, president of the Vanderslice-Lynds Mercantile
Company, has important and varied business interests, such as demand the
control of a man of master mind, who not only follows in the business paths
that others have marked out, but institutes new methods of commercial
activity, and in so doing gives proof of his sound business judgment. A^ari-
ous enterprises have profited by his cooperation or been promoted by his
purposeful spirit. He was born in Georgetown, Kentucky, April 8, 1853.
His father, Thomas J. Vanderslice, was also a native of that place, first
opening his eyes to the light of day November 10, 1827, in the house where
his son Howard was also born. The mother bore the maiden name of Sarah
J. Birchfield and was a native of Franklin county, born near Frankfort,
Kentucky, Februai-y 20, 1834. They were married June 5, 1857. The
father died March 18, 1902, and the mother November 12, 1878. In the
family were fourteen children, of whom five are still living: William, of
Pueblo, Colorado; Samuel I., a resident of Denver, Colorado; Russell M.,




HOWARD A^4.NDERSLICE.



T;.-. r^^V/ YORK
PUBUC LIBRARY

ASTOR. LENOX
TTL-DTN KC '-'r^SATIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 287

of MeniphLs, Tennessee; and Maggie, the wife of T. H. Moore, a traveling
salesman of Chicago.

The other member of the family is Howard ^^anderslice, who came
west with his parents and grandfather, Major Daniel Vanderslice, on the
1st of August, 1853. The family home Avas established in Doniphan county,
Kansas, w^hither Major Vanderslice was sent as Indian agent for the Sac
and Fox tribes. Thomas J. Vanderslice there engaged in farming and also
conducted a general store.