until he was carrying a stock valued at fifty thousand dollars.
He had built up a trade throughout the wc-t in hardware s])ccialties
and machine supplies, his shipments being sent to thirty-two states and terri-
tories. He had in the meantime issued six catalogues, advertising' and de-
scribing his goods. .Vt length he closed out his shelf hardware business on
Walnut .-trcet. liaviiig three years previously started a .<tore at No. 581 Dela-
ware street, devoted to the metal and machinist's supply business, to whicli
the coini)any now confines its attention exclusively. In May. 1908, by a
vote of the board of directors the present firm style of the H. J. Brunner
Metal tt ^Machinist Sujjply Com])any was adopted. They have recently issued
their seventh catalogue, containing threi' hundred pages, seven by ten inches,
and tlicy cxjx'ct to doul)le the busines,s within a few years. Although the
outlook at the beginning was most discouraging, Mr. l)ruinicr with coni-
mendahli' iJaticncc. foilitndc and dcti'i'inination continncd on his way. the
business gradually developing as his ability, ti'nstwoi'thiness and lionoi-nble
methods came to be recognized. He has at various other times been inter-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
ested in bn-iness enterprises aiul is now one of the board of directors of the
Great Western Pipe kine iV: Oil K.^fhiing Conij^any. owning the best refinery
Mr. Brunner was originally a Lutheran in religious faith but joined
the Methodist Lpisco])al clnn-eb in New York city :md has later ])econie a
communicant of the Cntholie chni'eli. IL' is ;i membei' of the Knights of
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 379
Father jNIathew and of the Knights of Columbus and is a stalwart advocate
of the temperance cause, himself practicing total abstinence. In fact he has
been an active worker in the temperance ranks and his influence is always
on the side of those movements which uplift and benefit humanity. He be-
longs to the Commercial Club and to the Manufacturers and Merchants As-
sociation. In a review of his life one must necessarily render their tribute
of admiration and respect by reason of what he has accomplished. His school
privileges were extremely limited and yet he is today an intelligent, well in-
formed man, entirely as the result of his own efforts. Realizing his lack in
that direction he attended school whenever opportunity ofl^ered and has
devoted his leisure hours largely to reading and study. Throughout his
entire life he has been actuated by the most laudable ambition and deter-
mination and has been fair and square in all his dealings with his fellowmen,
his reliability being so uniformly recognized that he has never lost a cus-
tomer. He is generous and public spirited and wherever he is known his
name is a synonym of honesty.
GEORGE S. HEDGES.
When Kansas City was a comparatively small town situated on the out-
skirts of a great western wilderness, George S. Hedges came to Jackson
county, Missouri. More than half a century has passed since that time.
Although he remained for but a brief period, he returned to the county
as a permanent resident in 1<S6l). His father, Jonas Hedges, was of English
lineage, descended from Sir Charles Hedges, a wealthy Englishman, whose
son, Joseph Hedges, came to America in 1732 and settled in Maryland.
There he died in 1740. The next in the line of direct descent was Charles
Hedges, who removed from Maryland to Kentucky. He was the father of
Jonas Hedges, who wedded Nancy Shortridge, and they became the parents
of seven children, including George S. Hedges, who was born in Kentucky,
Februarv 19. 1811. He was educated in his native state, and on the 11th
of April, 1837, married Miss Martha Gateskill, of Kentucky. In 1839 they
came to Jackson county, Missouri, but after a short time located in Johnson
county, this state, where they lived until 1866. In that year they returned
to Jackson county, where they continued to make their home.
Mr. Hedges became recognized as one of the representative agriculturists
of this part of the state, owning a large and well improved farm, whereon
he lived until his death. His first wife died May 22, 1850, and in 1853 he
wedded Mrs. Elizabeth Yankee, who was born in Grayson county, Virginia,
May 5, 1828, and came to ^lissouri with her parents when four years of
age, the family home being established in Lafayette county. Her father,
William Hays, was a native of A^irginia, and her mother, Mrs. Ann Cun-
ningham Hays, was a native of North Carolina. By his first marriage Mr.
Hedges had six children : Maria, who is the widow of Paul Ligett ; Silas and
James. V)oth deceased; Henrietta, the widow of William Colgan : Emma, the
380 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
widow of John H. Kemper; and Ambrose, who has passed away. By the
second marriage there were five children: William J. and Edward F., both
of whom were killed in a cyclone at Kansas City when the courthouse was
blown down; Medora, the wife of C. M. Ingrahm ; Mrs. Annie E. Murphy;
and Robert Lee, of St. Louis.
Mr. Hedges cast his first presidential ballot for Henry Clay. He always
stood for progress and reform, and in I87o he supported Peter Cooper for
the presidency. Lie filled the office of deputy sheriff, and was county asses-
sor by appointment for one year, while by election he filled the office for
two years. He was also deputy county clerk, and in these various positions
discharged his duties with marked promptness, fidelity and capability.
Coming to western Missouri at an early day, he was well known all over this
county as a man of many excellent traits of character, genial and kindly in
manner, resourceful in business ability and thoroughly reliable at all times.
Mrs. Hedges now makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Murphy, having
for more than four decades continuouslv resided in this countv.
ALFRED E. SUYDAM.
Alfred E. Suydam i.s the proprietor of the Up-to-Date Bakery at Nos.
2402 to 2412 Vine street. This is the second largest establishment of this
character in Kansas City and the development of the business, resulting from
the enteiiDrise and commercial activity of Mr. Suydam, has given him a
place with the representative business men of the city. He has made his
home here since 1886 and is a native of Fairview, Illinois, born on the 18th
of June 1860. His father, Charles S. Suydam, was a blacksmith by trade
and, leaving New Jersey in 1849, when a young man. removed westward,
accompanied by his wife and children, and settled in Illinois. ]\lrs. Suy-
dam bore the maiden name of Catherine Pardunn and is now deceased.
The father died during the boyhood days of their son Alfred.
In the common schools the son pursued his education and began life
as a barber, following that trade in Illinois and later in Iowa. Eventually
he removed to Kansas City in the fall of 1886 and for a time conducted a
barber shop on ))art of the site of the old bakery. Resolving to turn his
attention to the business in which he is now engaged, he began in a small
building twenty-two by twenty-two feet, in the spring of 1899. The excel-
lence of the products which he sent out soon secured to him a liberal and
growing patronage and the constant development of his business justified,
in 1905, the erection of his present extensive plant. He has a large, sub-
stantial brick building extending from 2402 to 2412 Vine street and is now
conducting the largest bakery, with one exception, in the city. It is
thoroughly equipped for the condnct of the business along the most modern
and progressive lines and is well termed the Up-to-Date Bakery. The "up-
to-date bread" which lie turns (tut has secured for the establishment a high
and most merited reputation, while the other goods are of an equally fine
^^^^^^v ;tim mM
^^^^^^^^^^K-'' -'" ^H
1^ ^ ^^^^H^^^^^^^l
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^h' ^ ^^^^-Ik!
A. E. SUYDAM
T'lE NEV/ YORK
I D H FC'KftATIONS
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 383
character. He ha.- moreover di.^played excellent executive ability in control-
lino the establishment and the work is carefullv systematized and well
Mr. Suydam wa.s married in Lewis, Iowa, June 19, 1S82, to Miss Mary
J. Coleman, of that state, a daughter of James Coleman, who was a fanner
by occupation l)ut is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Suydam have become
tlie parents of four children: Leroy G., who married Gertrude Kelley and
is associated with his father in business; Meurl, the wife of Herman Rob-
erts; and Earl L. and Irma, both at home. Mr. Suydam is a prominent
Mason, belonging to the Knight Temi)lar Commandery, the Eastern Star
and the Mystic Shrine. He is thoroughly loyal to the teachings of the order
and in his life exemplifies the beneficent spirit of the craft. In his busi-
ness career he has made the steady advancement which results from a firm
and unchanging purpose to accomplish success through diligence and com-
mercial integrity and he has justly won the proud American title of a self-
William McLaughlin is a member of the firm of McLaughlin Brothers,
pioneers in the importation of stallions, and their business is Avithout a peer
in its extent and importance. AVilliam McLaughlin is partner and manager
for the firm at Kansas City, and is recognized as one of the alert, enterpris-
ing, and progressive young business men of the west. , He was born at
Clarksville, Albany county, New York, May 23, 1877, and is of Scotch line-
age, the founder of the family in America having been his grandfather, who
came to the United States from near Glasgow, Scotland.
In the public schools of New York's capital city William McLaughlin
A\'as a student to the age of thirteen years, when on account of his mother's
death he went to Columbus, Ohio, to live with his married brother, J. R.
McLaughlin. At that time he became a pupil in the preparatory department
of the Ohio State University, and at the age of seventeen he left the univer-
sity after completing the work of the sophomore year. His innnediate fam-
ily were engaged in the business of importing Percheron and French coach
horses from Europe, and in 1894 Mr. McLaughlin entered actively upon his
business career in the sale of iin|)orted horses to the farmers and stockmen
throughout the country. He is a member of the firm of McLaughlin Broth-
ers of Columbus, Ohio, Kansas City, Missouri, and St. Paul. Minnesota. The
firm is composed of four brothers, the eldest being J. R. McLaughlin, who
has charge of their establishment at Columbus, Ohio; T. I). McLaughlin,
who is manager of the Ijusiness at St. Paul, ^linnesota; William ^IcLaugh-
lin, of Kansas City; and J. B. McLaughlin, who spends most of his time in
France buying all of the stock. These brothers were among the pioneers
in the importation of stallions, and have developed a business of great mag-
nitude. They handle only horses of the highest grade, and their yearly sales
have reached a very extensive figure. They began Ixisincss in 1891, since
884 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
which time they have imported four thousand horses. It has been their pol-
icy to buy only the best in France, and the records in their hands showing
prizes won there at the great national, regional and society shows, prove that
they carry off each year the great majority of the horses highly honored in
the show yard by the French judges. At the shows and fairs held in this
country their horses have gained more premiums than those of all other
firms combined with whom they have competed. Their sales of stallions from
Kansas City alone each year represent in total an amount aggregating three-
quartei-s of a million dollars. At the Louisiana Purchase Exposition at St.
Louis in 1904 their stallions won every first prize in every class. To build up
a business of this character and to establish such a reputation as the firm en-
joys denotes splendid business ability, executive force, keen discrimination
in purchase and marked sagacity in sales. The brothers are men of widely
acknowledged business enterprise, each in his respective field of labor devel-
oping a business of great extent.
On the 17th of Febraary, 1904, William McLaughlin was joined in wed-
lock to Miss Mary E. Morris, of Hiawatha, Kansas, and they are now located
in an attractive home at No. 2905 Independence boulevard. Mr. McLaugh-
lin is prominent and popular in various social organizations. He belongs
to the Phi Gamma Delta., a college fraternity, and to the Commercial Club,
the Kansas City Club and the Evanston Country Club, all of Kansas City.
He is a man of marked individuality and force of character, who in the
concentration of his energies upon his business interests has developed it to
large and profitable proportions. He is at all times a genial and aft'able gen-
tleman, enjoying the pleasures of social and club life, and his popularity is
constantly increasing as he becomes more widely known.
JAMES LEWIS LOMBARD.
James Lewis Lombard has passed through successive stages of develop-
ment to a place of prominence in the business world, and is widely recog-
nized as ail iiivester and progressive banker. He has handled much invest-
ment paper, and is now at the head of one of the leading financial enterprises
of Kansas City, being president of the Corn Belt Bank.
He was born January 6, 1850. at Henry, Illinois. His father, Benja-
min Lombard, was a capitalist, who was born in Massachusetts and came
west in 1S12. lie did not long remain in this ])art of the country, how-
ever, and his last days were spent at Cambridge, Massachusetts. The educa-
tion of James L. Lombard was acquired in private schools. He attended the
"Little Blue School" at Farmington, Maine, and Bowdoin College, after
which lie came lo the west and worked in his father's bank in Chicago.
Subsequently he removed to Creston, Iowa, where he engaged in the farm
mortgage biisiness and in l)anking, serving as cashier of the Bank of Cres-
ton, a private bank conducted by Mr. Lombard and his ])rother, Benjamin
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 385
In 1885 James L. Lombard arrived in Kansas City, and here established
the Lombard Brothers Bank, which one year hiter became the First National
Bank, of which Mr. Lombard was president for many years, including the
period of the financial panic of 1893. He brought the institution safely
through that financial crisis, with even a stronger hold on the public confi-
dence than it had previously enjoyed. In 191)0 he resigned the presidency
and sold his stock in order to engage in the mortgage-loan l)u-iness. Through-
out his entire career he has handled investment paper, and he was one of
the officers of the Lombard Investment Company, which was organized about
1882 and went out of business in 1893. He became financial correspona-
ent of the Union Central Life Insurance Company of Cincinnati, Ohio, ir
September, 1903, and has loaned on farm property about six millions of their
money without loss and without taking any real e.state for them. In June,
1907, the Union Central Life Insurance Company honored him by making
him its financial correspondent in California for loans on California farms,
and in San Francisco he established their business in 1907 under the firm
style of "Lombard & Son, Incorporated." Mr. Lombard engaged in the
mortgage business privately until 1905, when he established the Corn Belt
Bank, of which he is president and chief stockholder. He ha- probably
brought more money west for loan purposes than any other man in Kansas
City, and this ha.s been loaned principally on farms, and has resulted mate-
rially in the development of the agricultural district tributary to Kansas City.
The Lombard Investment Company loaned about ninety million dollars dur-
ing its existence. It will thus be seen that the operations which Mr. Lombard
controlled have been very extensive and of the most important character.
He is also interested in various other financial and commercial enter-
prises of Kansas City, and has from time to time utilized favorable oppor-
tunities for judicious investment in real estate. He is now a trustee of
Lombard College at Galesburg, Illinois, which was named in honor of his
father, who was one of its founders.
In his political views ^Nlr. Lombard is a republican, Ijut while well in-
formed on the questions of issues of the day, he has never been an active
worker in party ranks. He belongs to the University Club, to the County
and the Mid-day Clubs. He is also connected with the Commercial Club
and with the Psi Upsilon, a Greek letter fraternity. His religious belief is
indicated by his memberehip in the First Church of Christ, Scientist.
Mr. Lombard was married at Creston, Iowa, June (5, 1877, to Miss Eva
Stiles, a daughter of Peter Stiles, a merchant of that place. In past years
Mrs. Lombard has been very active in social and literary circles, and is still
a most interested and helpful worker in the church. She is an accomplished
performer on the piano, and in the past has been connected vrith one of the
leading literary clubs of the city. Four children have been born unto Mr.
and Mrs. Lombard: James P., who is vice president of the Corn Belt Bank;
Albert E., who is cashier of the same in.stitution ; AVinnifred, w^ho was mar-
ried in 1907 to Galen M. Harris, of Bath, Maine; and Norman, assistant
treasurer of the firm of Lombard & Son, Incorporated, San Francisco, Califor-
riia. The familv residence is one of the finest homes in Kansas Citv. It is lo-
386 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
cated at Eighteenth and Je^er^on streets and was erected in 1888 after designs
by Burham & Root, who also designed the American Bank and the Board of
Trade buildings of Kansas City and the Flat Iron building of New York.
Mr. Lombard is a lover of art and possesses a most attractive collection of
fine paintings, while an extensive library indicates the literary taste of the
family. He is one of the most highly esteemed men in financial circles in
Kansas City, and one of the most successful. In all of his operations he has
been conservative, making no false moves, but advancing steadily and surely
in every transaction, because he has studied the possibilities for success and
recognized the forces that Avill contribute thereto. He has learned to bring
into harmonious relations interests which often seem diverse or antagonis-
tic, but he has shaped such into a unified whole, and the public has learned
to know, to appreciate and to value his sound judgment in financial affairs.
JAMES W. OLDHAM.
James W. Oldham, well known in business circles in Kansas City as
president of the Sterling Remedy Company and secretary of the Wellington
Mines Company, was here born in 1870, representing one of the old and
prominent families here.
His father, William D. Oldham, was born in 1833 in Oldham county,
Kentucky, which was named in honor of Captain Zeb Oldham, great-grand-
father of William Oldham. In early life the latter removed to Tennessee
and in 1859 came to Kansas City»from Chattanooga, casting in his lot with
the citizens of this little town who w^ere laying the foundation for its present
prosperity and greatness. It was a frontier settlement, being almost the
last town of any commercial importance connecting the far west and the
southwest with the older civilization of the east. Mr. Oldham was engaged
for some time in freighting on the Santa Fe trail between Santa Fe and
Kansas City and for a number of years he engaged in trading with the In-
dians, who frequently came to Kansas City for supplies. He became a fac-
tor in the early industrial development here, built the Phoenix mill at the
corner of Second street and Troost avenue, which was the first patent roller
flourmill here. He continued to operate this with good success until it was
destroyed by fire in 1870.
Later he engaged in the wholesale and retail grocery business at Nos. 22
and 24 East Fourth street and developed an extensive trade, his business grow-
ing to mammoth projjortions ere he was called to his final rest in 1807. Tie
also erected the whole block at Troost and Eighth streets and a half block
on Admiral boulevard at Harrison street. He likewise owned and built
other business places. His marked enterprise, carefully formed plans, far-
sighted sagacity and unabating energy made him a valued factor in business
circles and his cooperation was frequently sought in the establishment and
control of important business concerns. He was one of the first organizers
of the Bank of Commerce and became a heavv stockholder in the institu-
WITJJA^f r*. OLDTIAM.
^^^^ ; J
^^^^f - ;.-S-'v" ■ . '•-fc^^^WilteKt^teS^BMHIMM
JAMES W. OLDHAM.
: TC 't; NATIONS
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 391
tion. He was long numbered among the prominent and progressive citi-
zens and might well be termed one of the founders of the city, having been
the promoter of many of its leading business enterprises and the growth and
development of a city depend upon its commercial and industrial activity.
He earned for himself an enviable reputation as a careful man of business
and in his dealings wa^ known for his prompt and honorable methods,
which won him the deserved and unbounded confidence of his fellowmen.
His political allegiance was given to the democracy, but he was without
aspiration for public office.
William D. Oldham was married three times. In Clay county, Missouri,
he wedded Betty Winn, a native of Kentucky, who died in 1872, leaving a
son and daughter, James W. and Juanita, the wife of C. S. Downing, of
Denver, Colorado. In 1887 Mr. Oldham was again married, his second
union being with Mrs. Olive Ray, who died a few years later, leaving a
daughter, Lura, now the wife of F. T. Scott. Mr. Oldham next wedded
Miss Helen Compton, and their only child is Mrs. J. D. Schwitzgebel.
James W. Oldham, whose name introduces this record, began his edu-
cation at the usual age in the Kansas City public schools and continued his
studies until he had completed the course in the high school. He after-
ward went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was engaged in the brokerage busi-
ness until 1895, when he returned to Kansas City and w^as elected president
of the Sterling Remedy Company, with which he is still connected in this
official capacity. The company manufactures medicines and is doing a
large and profitable business. Mr. Oldham is also the secretary of the Wel-
lington Mines Company of Kansas City, and it is to his duties in this con-
nection that he largely devotes his energies.
In November, 1899, in Kentucky, was celebrated the marriage of Mr.
Oldham and Miss Myrtle Watson of that state, a daughter of Colonel Nat
Watson, a prominent resident of Kentucky and a relative of General Wat-
son. Mr. Oldham is accounted one of Kansas City's prominent young busi-
ness men, and has a very wide and favorable acquaintance here, where the
greater part of his life has been passed. The circle of his friends is almost
coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances, and geniality, cordiality
and deference for the opinions of others have made him popular.
Edward Doherty is one of Kansas City's self-made men, whose well
directed labors have brought him the success that now enables him to live
retired. A native of County Clare, Ireland, he was born March 22, 1847.
His parents were Thomas and Mary (Slattery) Doherty, who were farming
people and spent their entire lives in Ireland. Their son Edward attended
school in the place of his nativity and afterward in Chicago. Determining
to make his home in America, he sailed from Queenstown to Liverpool and
then on the steamship Manhattan crossed to New York, being eleven days
392 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
upon the water. Going to Troy, New York, lie there obtained employment
hut alter three months made hi.s way westward to Chicago, where he arrived
in September, 18(37. lie had an elder brother, Michael, who wa.s a builder
and contractor and attained nmch prominence in that line. D'ependent upon
his own resources, Edward Doherty secured employment and while busily
occupied during the day attended night school that he might promote his
education and increase his efficiency as a factor in business circles. He re-