Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 38 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

mained in Chicago for about four years and then came to Kansa-> City,
where he arrived in April, 1870, there being a large colony of his country-
men here at that time.

Mr. Doherty found employment as a switchman on the Kansas City,
Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, which is now a part of the Rock Ishnid system.
He followed that pursuit for three or four years and then engaged in the
retail grocery business at Fourteenth and Wyoming streets with a partner,
Frank Gilday, but in the financial panic of the year 1873 he became in-
volved, as did hundreds of other business men. He afterward engaged in
the same business at Liberty and Fourteenth streets and there conducted a
larger store. He continued at that point for eleven years with good success,
after which he sold out and started a saloon at Sixteenth and Wyoming-
streets, where he remained for about seven years. Since that time he has
been engaged in various business enterprises, including that of cigar jobbing,
but at the present time is living retired.

Mr. Doherty was married in 1872 by Father Anthony Kuls to Miss
Johanna Lannon, in St. Mary's church of Wyandotte, Kansas. She is a na-
tive of Pennsylvania. Her parents and also a brother, Colonel John S. Lan-
non, are buried at St. John's, Canada. One brother, Thomas Lannon, is a
miner in Mexico, while another, Patrick Lannon, is in the English army,
and a sister, ]\Irs. Thomas Purtell. is living in Wyandotte, Kansas. The chil-
dren born to Mr. and Mrs. Doherty are: Mary E., the wife of Phillip ^lurphy,
of Kansas City; Ellen; Margaret, the wife of James J. Sheppard, of Kansas
City; Johanna Theresa; Frank Edward; John Joseph; Thomas AVilliam;
Edward Leo ; Plenry Paul ; and James Vincent.

In 1885 Mr. Doherty built his present home and in February, 188(5, the
Sacred Heart congregation was organized in his home by the Rev. M. J.
O'Dwyer. Soon after a school w-as also built. They began to take tht' brick
to the premises in 1886 and in tlie following year the school wa< completed.
Church services were held in Mr. Doherty's home for a shoi't time until the
school was completed and were then held in that building for fourteen
months. In 1887 the pa.stor gathered up soni/ old lumber and built a frame
structure for a church, doing actual work on the building with the men and
when the brick structure was built around the frame he worked in the brick
kiln, thus doing everything in his power to promote the interests of the
church. Mr. Doherty was a member of the Ijuildimi; committee and con-
tributed generously to its support. In 1871 he helped Father Dalton to build
the fir.«t Catholic church in western Kansas. That priest baptized eight of
i\Ir. Doherty's children. In politics our subject has always been a democrat
and though frequently solicited to become^ a candidate for city offices he has



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 393

contiiiuou.-^ly refused to do so. Fraternally he is connectad with the Knights
of Columbus. From an early age he has been dependent upon his own re-
sources and his industry and diligence have led him out of humble financial
surroundings to a position of affluence.



DR. CHARLES AVILLIAM CROSBY.

l)r. Charles AVilliam Cr(jsljy, neurologist, of Kansas City, was born in
Centralia, Illinois, July 4, 1870, his parents being Alfred P. and Mary E.
(Charles) Cro.sby. The father was born in Alexandria, Ohio, and his early
life was spent in southern Ohio and Kentucky. He adopted mercantile
interests as a life work and continued in active connection with that line
()! business for a long period. For some years he was interested in mer-
chandising in St. Louis and East St. Louis and became one of the pioneer
residents of Centralia, Illinois, helping to lay out and found the town. He
svas one of its most dominant figures for a considerable period, active in
controlling its interests and shaping its policy. He was a member of the bar
but never practiced his j^rofession, although for years he was known as Judge
Crosby. His ability, enterprise and keen sagacity well qualified him for
leadership and he left the impress of his individuality upon every com-
njunity with which he was identified for any length of time. In politics he
Wii'i an ardent democrat and notwithstanding the fact that Centralia was a
republican stronghold he was repeatedly honored by election to important
offices there. He served as internal revenue collector under President Lin-
coln and was also county treasurer of Marion county. He likewise repre-
sented his district in the state legislature and for years was one of the lead-
ers and counselors of his party. He nominated William J. Bryan'-, father
for congress and is a very warm personal friend of the Nebraska statesman.
For the past seven years he has resided in Kansas City and is now iu his
eighty-third year, living retired from active basiness cares but still main-
taining a deep interest in the questions of the day and in the world's i»rog-
ress.

Dr. Cros1)y was reared in the family home at Brookfield, Missouri, to
which place his father removed when the son w^as seven years of age. Pass-
ing through consecutive grades, he became a high-school student in Brook-
field and afterward attended Finley Academy, now known as the Brookfield
College. -.Vs early as 1888, Avhen but eighteen years of age, he came to Kan-
sas City, where he was employed in a mercantile house. In 1888, after his
brief residence in Kansas City, he had, in company with a brother and two
other men gone to ]\lonett, Missouri, where he. took charge of a newspaper
to exploit the interests and- resources of the town. Subsequently he wa^ in
business in Chicago and other places and gained a thorough knowledge of
merchandising. In 1893 he embarked in business on his own account in
Brookfield and conducted hLs store for two years. Disposing of his com-
mercial intercuts, he devoted his entire time to the study of neurology, hav-



394 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

ing been reading upon the subject for sometime previous. In preparation
for this work he took up everything bearing upon this field of study. In
the fall of 189(3 he completed his studies in the Chicago Ophthalmic College
and for two years was located for practice in Chicago, after which he re-
moved to Dubuque, Iowa. There he remained for five yeai's.

The subject of treating nervous diseases without the use of drugs ap-
pealed strongly to him and after leaving Dubuque he went in 1903 to Chi-
cago, where he pursued a special course under Dr. McCormick of the Mc-
Cormick Neurological College. He then again practiced in Dubuque and
in 1904 came to Kansas City, being the first of the profession to locate here.
In April, 1907, he was instrumental in organizing the Dr. Crosby Neuro-
logical Company, with an institute on Independence avenue. His treat-
ment is an exposition of the new school, whereby nervous and chronic dis-
eases are treated without the use of drugs or medicines. It is the purpose
of the profession to show people how to live, recognizing that "an ounce of
prevention is worth a pound of cure." They work upon the basis that
nature effects cures and that if her laws are carefully followed out there will
be no disease. Illness is a trangression of nature's laws and a resumption of
a mode of life in harmony with her laws will bring about the restoration of
health and maintain it permanently unless nature's forces are disturbed
through some accidental injury. Dr. Crosby has succeeded in building
up a practice among the most prominent families of Kansas City in the five
years of his residence here and his institute is largely patronized. His stu-
dies have been so extended and varied that in the diagnosis of cases he has
reached a high standard of perfection and his practice is based upon the
most careful analysis, combined with the resumption of natural laws.

Dr. Crosby was married January 15, 1896, to Miss Lora Huft'aker, of
Brookfield, Missouri. His political allegiance is given to the democracy
and he is prominent in Masonry, belonging to the lodge, chapter, com-
mandery and the shrine. He is yet a young man but has attained distinc-
tion and prominence in his profession, having treated almost every known
disease with good results, performing many permanent cures of chronic
cases where old school physicians have failed. He is a student and thinker,
alive to the trend of thought and influences of the present and in all of hia
work brings to bear sound judgment and keen discrimination.



HALE H. COOK.



Hale H. Cook, whose connection with the Kansas City bar dalo.s from
November, 1890, was born near Jackson, Michigan, January 11. 1857. His
early education was there acquired, supplemented by study in Olivet College
at Olivet, Michigan, and in Carleton College at Northfiold, Minnesota, from
which he was graduated with the degreee of Bachelor of Arts in 1882. The
succeeding two years were devoted to school work as principal and superin-
tendent of schools in Minnesota and in the meantime he took up the study



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 395

of law, which he pursued at every available opportunity until his admis-
sion to the bar in 1885 at Fergus Falls, Minnesota. Later removing to Con-
cordia, Kansas, he there continued in the practice of his chosen profession
until November, 1890, when he removed to Kansas City, where he has prac-
ticed continuously since, being now a member of the firm of Ellis, Cook &
Ellis, holding high rank in legal circles. Mr. Cook was married in 1886 to
Miss Kate A. Scoville, of Chicago, Illinois, and they have two sons
and two daughters. A genial, social nature finds expression in his mem-
bership in the Knife & Fork Club of Kansas City, while his devotion
to the general good is manifest in his cooperation with the Commercial Club
in its efforts to promote the material development and municipal interests
of the city. In politics he is an ardent republican, laboring earnestly for
his party yet never seeking or holding political office. He is, however, serv-
ing as a member of the board of education, to w^hich he was appointed on
the 17th of August, 1905. In the line of his profession he is connected
with the Kansas City Bar Association and among his brethren of the legal
fraternity the consensus of public opinion concerning him is altogether
favorable.



H. CLAY ARNOLD.



H. Clay Arnold, engaged in the drug business, has since 1876 been a
resident of Kansas City and has been closely associated with its commercial
activity during the three decades which have since elapsed. He was born
in Paris, Missouri, May 17, 1849. When eleven years of age he accom-
panied his parents on their removal to a farm, where the succeeding two
years of his life were passed and the following three years at Westminister
College, and at the age of sixteen he went to Sedalia, Missouri.

On attaining his majority Mr. Arnold removed to Nevada, Missouri,
and there entered commercial circles as a druggist but seeking a still broader
field of labor he came to Kansas City and established a drug store at Fifth
and Main streets, where he has since been located, this being now one of
the oldest houses of the kind in the city under one management. About
1895 he acquired another drug store at No. 1107 Main street but sold it in
1902. He is doing an excellent business, owing his prosperity to his close
application, unwearied industry and capable management. He is a stock-
holder and director in the National Bank of Commerce, having acquired
an interest when Dr. Woods became a controlling factor therein. Five
years later he was chosen a director and for many years has been a member
of the board of discounts, nor has he been unknown in real-estate operations.
He was a large property holder in Kansas City before the ''boom," at which
time he sold most of his real estate at a good price. He still owns consider-
able realty, however, which is constantly advancing in value with the growth
and development of the city.

Mr. Arnold is also known in connection with faithful and efficient ser-
vice in several offices of honor and trust. He was appointed by Governor



396 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

Stoiu' recorder of vote.<. The Mi.^r^ouri legislation soon abolLjhed that office
and created the board of election commissioners, at which time Governor
Stone appointed him on that board. Previously he had been appointed by
the same executive as a member of the board of managers of the St. Joseph
Insane Asylum. Throughout his entire life he has been a stalwart advocate
of the democracy but has the unqualified respect and confidence of both
parties.

Mr. Arnold resides at 3522 Tracy street. He has four children and is
comfortably located, having through a sucessful business career gained a
desirable competence, making him one of the substantial residents of Jack-
son county, where he has also figured i)roniinently in public life for a long
period.



JOSEPH WARREN HOOVER.

Joseph AVarren Hoover has been extensively identified with the bridge
building interests between the Mississippi river and Colorado and to a lesser
extent even on to the coast. He is now connected with the Canton Bridge
Company with headquarters at Kansas City. A native of Ohio, he was born
upon a farm in Stark county, five miles north of the city of Canton, Novem-
ber 19, 1850, a son of Daniel and Mary Hoover. The father died in May,
1905, but the mother is still living.

Joseph W. Hoover, who is one of three brothers, acquired his education
in the common schools and in Mount Union College at Alliance. Ohio, prior
to entering the University of Michigan in order to study civil egineering.
Completing a course in that line, he was graduated with the class of 1875,
and immediately entered upon the active practice of his chosen profession,
going at once to Cincinnati, Ohio, as assistant in the astronomical de])art-
ment of a college in that city. Later he accepted the position of engineer
Avith the Indianapolis Bridge Company of Indianapolis, Indiana, where he
remained from September, 1875, until January, 1878. Later ho accepted
the ])osition of civil (>nginecr in the construction department of the Wrought
Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, with which be rcMnained until Janu-
ary, 1884. He then accepted the general agency for the same company,
Avilb headquarters at Kansas City, and continued there until the company
sold to the American Bridge Company in ^Nhiy, 1900. He continncd m the
r^amc ])Osition with the new company until 1902, when he became a>-ociated
with the Canton P)ridge Cr)mpany, with which he has since been connected,
with headquarter.- at Kansas City. As a civil engineer he thorongbly under-
stands all the work connected with l)ridge building, and has don(> cfl'ective
service in this direction with tbc various companies with which be has been
associated. He is also interested in th(> lIo(»ver Construction Coni])any and
in the Contractors Machinery Comiiany, and is a capable bnsinc-.- man of
executive force and wide practical a- well as scentilic knowli'duc He has
been identified wilb biidge bnilding throughont tlic entire Avest, but more




J. ^y. HOOVER.



*



!\^\7 VORK

d BUG LIBRARY



ASTOR, LENOX

TTLDCN FOUKBATIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 399

particularly between the Mississippi river and Colorado, in which connection
he has become widely known.

Mr. Hoover was married in Canton, Ohio, in December, 1875, to Miss
Mary Ruthrauff, of Canton, Ohio, and they have two children, Frederick
R. and Helen M. The son was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, November
25, 1876, and was educated in the Kansas City public schools and in the
University of Michigan, being graduated from the latter with the class of
1899. He then entered his father's office and has since been associated
with him in the mangement of bridge building interests for the Canton
Bridge Company. He was married August 29, 1900, in Traverse City,
Michigan, to Miss Gertrude Montague. The daughter w^as educated at the
Kansas City schools, at Smith College and at the University of Michigan.

In his political views Joseph W. Hoover is independent, regarding the
capability of the man as more important than his party affiliations. In
Masonry he has attained the Knight Templar degree in the commandery,
and is also a member of the Mystic Shrine, while his religious faith is indi-
cated by his membership in All Souls Unitarian church. He is a man of
broad and liberal views concerning the important questions of life, realizing
the fact that much charity is needed, and that one must constantly work
toward high ideals for the development of honorable manhood. His worth
is widely recognized by his friends and his capability in business circles has
long since been demonstrated.



JAMES I. REYNOLDS.

Among the men who in the latter part^of the nineteenth century brought
the business interests of Kansas City up from small beginnings to large pro-
portions and thus . contributed to its substantial growth and improvement,
was numbered James I. Reynolds, now deceased, who w^as engaged in the
grain and seed trade, also owned and operated in real estate and became
identified with farming. In fact his well merited success made him a
capitalist and one whose name became honored on commercial paper. He
arrived in Kansas City in January, 1872, being at that time a young man of
twenty-five years. His birth had occurred in West Liberty, Ohio, April 25,
1846, his parents being Ira and Harriet N. (Chapman) Reynolds. In the
maternal line the ancestry can be traced back to the time of the Mayflower,
and at a much more remote period in England, where records of the family
are extant as early as 1298.

The father, Ira Reynolds, was born in Ontario county, New York, in
1809, and died November 24, 1880. His wife, whose birth occurred in
Franklin county, Ohio, October 30, 1816, passed away on the 12th of March,
1852. James I. Reynolds was then but six years of age. and after this sad
event he went to live with his mother's sister at De Graff, Ohio — a Mrs.
Mitchell, whose husband was a grain merchant and seedsman. This change
in his place of residence was indirectly the means of determining the life



400 HlSTOliY OF KANSAS CITY.

occupatiuii uf Mr. KeyiiulcL;. lie acquired a good education in the public
scliools at De Graff, and when thirteen years of age he began assisting hii
uncle in attending to the interests of the store. He continued his education,
however, during the school year until sixteen years of age, when he prac-
tically entered upon his business career in hid uncle's establishment.

The war of the rebellion had now been in progress for sometime and a
year later, at the age of seventeen, Mr. Reynolds was serving the United
States government in the quartermaster's department at Bowling Green, Ken-
tucky. ^Vhile so employed he was unexpectedly called to (3hio to take charge
of the business of his uncle, who had been stricken with paralysis. He went
to the Buckeye state but returned to the seat of war, and when only eighteen
years of age saw active service before Petersburg with the National Guards,
acting as orderly sergeant of Company F. While he laid no claim to hav-
ing achieved great dLstinction as a soldier he had a creditable record as one
who on all occasions faithfully discharged the duties devolving upon him in
that period of his life, and in his later years referred to his military expe-
rience with pleasure and satisfaction. He not only aided his country but
also learned the value of discipline and precision, qualities which became es-
sential factors in his success in later life.

In 1866, Avhen but twenty years of age, James I. Reynolds, who in the
meantime had developed a sturdy manhood through his varied experiences
and his military service, was admitted to a partnership by his uncle, this
being a practical recognition of his business capacity and sterling worth.
The firm name of jNIitchell & Reynolds was assumed and as dealers in grain
and seeds they conducted an extensive business for the time and locality,
continuing together in trade luitil ^Ir. Mitchell retired from business life
with an ample fortune, while Mr. Reynolds had sufficient capital to estab-
lish himself elsewhere in a modest way. He had, too, what was better than
financial resources, good judgment, business experience and unquestioned
integrity to serve as a foundation upon Avhich to build his later success. It
was at this time that ]\Ir. Reynolds came to Kansas City, where he arrived
ill .Tamiary, 1872. Soon after the firm of Trumbull & Reynolds was organ-
ized, and in l.S7."> ihe style was changed by the admi.-sion of a third ])artn('r
under the firm name of Trumbull, Reynolds & Allen, the members being
A. G. Trumbull, James I. Reynolds and J. N. Allen. The business developed
in a gratifying way under the able management of Mr. Reynolds and his
assistants until it became larger in its combined lines than that of any similar
enterprise in the country. The firm confined itself to the manufacture of
hay machinery and to a jobl)ing trade in seeds and grain. Perseverance,
reliability and firm |)urpose constituted the salient qualities in the husine>s
policy of Ihe house and resulted in the development of a Ijusine.'^s of mani-
motli ])i'oportions.

After coming to Kansa,^ City Mr. Reynolds also became a successful in.-
vester in real estate and his great executive ability and unbounded enteriuMs'-
caused him to be sought as a participator in various important interests. Hi-^
name fic^ured in connection with the directorate of a number of enterprises,
investment companir^s and otlier corporatinns. some of which he served a-^



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 401

presideni for many years. He possessed keen discernment and native sagacity
in business affairs. His judgment was sound, and each forward step in his
career was .thoughtfully made, bringing him a broader outlook and wider
opportunities.

Mr. Reynolds, however, was not of that class of men who selfishly hoard
their wealth for their own use and exercise their talents merely for their own
advancement. On the contrary he was deeply interested in the city's welfare
and became a cooperant factor in many measures which contributed to its
growth and substantial improvement. Charitable and kindly, he gave freely
of his means to various benevolent institutions, and the poor and needy found
in him a generous and helpful friend, whose aid could be counted upon in
every hour of need. A descendant of a long line of Presbyterian ancestry,
he had firm faith in the creed of the church and with his family attended
the services of the Second Presbyterian church, of which he was an official
member. His widow is also identified through membershij) relations with
the san^.e organization.

On the 25th of May, 1870, at De Graff, Ohio, occurred the marriage of
James I. Reynolds and Miss Julia E. Reeves, a native of Portage county,
Ohio, ]jorn near Cleveland, and a daughter of E. B. and M. L. (Clark)
; Reeves, who were born in Ohio and in Guilford, New York, respectively.
Her father spent many years in Portage county, where he followed his trade
as a merchant tailor, continuing in business until he retired on account of
advanced age. With his wife he then came to the west and there lived at
INIr. Reynolds' country home at Wyandotte, Kansas, until the death of Mr.
Reeves in 1890, since which time Mrs. Reeves has made her home in Kan-
sas City with her daughter Mrs. Reynolds. Although now eighty-six years
of age she is very active, being remarkably well preserved for a woman of
her years. She belongs to the Christian church here and has long been one
of its devoted members.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds were born four children: Harry E., who
married Maud Cooley and is connected with the Longware Lead Company,
at Kansas City; Rev. Charles Lee Reynolds married Agnes Pearson, of Des
Moines, Iowa, and they are now located in Lexingion, Kentucky, where he
is serving as pastor of a Presbyterian church; Mary Grace is the wife of
Professor C. A. Metz, an instructor of Kidder (Mo.) Academy; James Royal
resides in Mead, Kansas, where he is engaged in the grain and seed business.

Following his arrival in Kansas; City, the father, Mr. Reynolds, con-
tinued in the grain and seed trade, which remained one of his principal
resources of revenue. His real-estate operations, too, returned him a good
income and he managed his business affairs from his offices located in the
Board of Trade building. He was also connected to some extent with farm-
ing interests and other business enterprises and the development of his busi-