ness as the years passed by made him a well known capitalist. It will be
readily noticed that he was a man of push and progress, difficulties vanish-
ing before him as mists before the morning sun. He was penetrative and
practical, seeing to the center of things and from the center. He looked
402 HISTOEY OF KANSAS CITY
upon the world from no false position and had no untried standards. In
1903 he became ill and for two years his health was largely inpaired but he
never gave up business until the last seven weeks of his life. He died March
13, 1905, leaving his family a valuable legacy in property and also in an
honored name. In politics he was an earnest republican but not an aspirant
for office. Public spirited, he donated liberally to enterprises for the city's
good and stood for improvement and advancement in many lines. He was
in vital sympathy with the best interests of the public and was recognized as
a man among men.
CAPTAIN WILLIAM J. MORLEY.
Captain William J. Morley, whose title is an indication of his prom-
inent position on the police force, is now in charge of station No, 5. He
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
was born at Ballyhaunis, County Mayo, Ireland, May 1, 1852. His father,
John J. Morley, was a jobber and grain dealer and for many years con-
ducted a public house at Ballyhaunis, where his death occurred. His wife,
who bore the maiden name of Honora Jordan, also spent her entire life on
the Emerald isle.
Their son. Captain Morley, pursued his education in the national
schools of Ballyhaunis until fourteen years of age, his teacher being James
O'Rourke. With the spirit of adventure strong within him, as it is in most
boys, he ran away from home, accompanied by a few companions, when
fourteen years of age. They made their way to Liverpool, England, and his
lack of financial resources made it imperative that Captain Morley secure
employment. He therefore began work in the Campton wholesale house,
one of the largest of its kind in England. Subsequently he became a con-
ductor for the Busby Omnibus Company and worked for them for three
and a half years.
In 1869 he came to the United States, sailing from Livei*pool to New
York on the 14th of April. The vessel dropped anchor in the American har-
bor on the 1st of May. He had made the voyage on the steamship Idaho,
which was later lost at sea. Not long after his arrival Captain Morley found
employment in one of the parks in Brooklyn, where he assisted in doing
landscape gardening. Afterward he wa^ employed as a conductor on the
Brooklyn street cars but in less than a year removed to Great Bend, Pennsyl-
vania, where he entered the service of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western
Railroad Company, acting as a fcrakeman between Great Bond and Syracuse,
New York. His fidelity later won him promotion to the position of con-
ductor. Leaving this road, he afterward became yardmaster with the New
York & Erie Railroad at Binghamton, New York, where he continued until
1872. During that time he saw Jim Fisk and his train pass through on the
way to relieve the sufferers from the Chicago fire. In 1872 Captain ]Morley
was transferred to Hornellsville, New York, where he filled the position of
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 403
yardma;jter until 1875. In that year C. 0. Chatterton, one of the superintend-
ents of the road, accepted a position with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad and sent for Captain Morley to join him in the middle west and
made him yardmaster at Creston, Iowa, where he remained until August
14, 1876. At that date he accepted the position of night yardmaster for the
Kansas City & Council Bluffs, the Santa Fe, the Chicago & Alton and the
Rock Island railroads, doing work for the four companies. That he was
most trustworthy and capable is indicated by the fact that he filled the posi-
tion for ten years. In 1887, when the Santa Fe moved its yards and Cap-
tain Morley's salary was cut in consequence, he resigned his position.
What was the railroad's loss, however, was Kansas City's gain, for he
entered upon active connection with the police department, where he has
since remained. He was appointed a patrolman on the police force and
later was promoted to sergeant and afterward to lieutenant, while on the 14th
of October, 1907, he was made captain and transferred to station No. 5. His
identification with the police department covers twenty-one years, during
which time he has proved his unfaltering loyalty to duty, ever discharging
the tasks assigned to him without fear or favor. His political allegiance is
given to the democratic party and while in the railroad service he was active
as a worker in its ranks but has not been a factor in local politics since be-
coming connected with the police service. He and his family are members
of the Redemptionist (Catholic) church.
Captain Morley was married in Binghamton, New York, in 1872, to
Miss Mary A. Sheehan, who was there born and reared. Their children
are: Catherine, who, however, is usually known as Kate; Louis, who is em-
ployed by a sugar refining company at Salt Lake City; John, a farmer; and
William and May, both at home. The family are all communicants of the
Redemptionist church. Captain Morley resided on the west Kansas bottoms
until the great flood of 1893 and was the owner of eight houses there but
since that great disaster he has purchased a pleasant home at No. 3418
Broadway, where he now lives. He may truly be called a self-made man,
for starting out in life on his own account at the age of fourteen, he has
since been dependent entirely upon his own labors for the success he has
achieved. His life has been largely one of earnest and unremitting toil.
His business career, as well as his service on the police department, has con-
nected him with positions of responsibility and importance but to his trust
he has ever been found loyal.
W. E. OLIVER.
W. E. Oliver, engaged extensively and successfully in the sale of horses
and mules, was born in 1869 at Point Pleasant, West Virginia. His
father, John Oliver, also a native of that state, came to Kansas in 1884. He
married Eliza McCoy and in their family were eight children, of whom
seven are now living. The father was a soldier of the Union army in the
404 HISTORY OF KAA'^AS CITY
Civil war and served for tliree years as a loyal defender of the stars and
stripes, participating in the battle of Gettysburg and important niilitary
movements in the Shenandoah valley.
AV. iv Oliver acquired his early education at Olathe, Kansas, having
come to the west with his parents when fifteen years of age. His first bus-
iness venture was farming in Johnson county, Kansas, on three hundred
and twenty acres of land which he rented there. He gradually worked into
the stock l)usiness and fifteen years ago came to Kansas City, where he has
eince been engaged in dealing in horses and nuiles. In 1902 the firm of
Newkirk, Hicks & Company was organized with J. D. Xewkirk as president,
W. E. Oliver as secretary and James D. Oliver as vice president. They
began business at No. 1604 Walnut street and afterward removed to their
present location at No. 2423 Grand avenue. The firm is now Newkirk &
Oliver and they are now enguged extensively in buying and selling horses
and mules, making their purchases in the general market and at the stock-
yards auctions. They make a specialty of high class driving horses, which
they fit for city use. The firm has a branch business on East Fifteenth
street, conducting there a livery and boarding stable known as the Sini-^hine
Mr. Oliver was married in Kansas City in 1896 to Miss Minnie Booker,
a daughter of Edwin Booker, and they now have an attractive home at No.
4147 McGee street. Five children have been born unto them : Orville,
Everett. Raymond, John and Helen. Mr. Oliver exercises his right of
franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party, while
fraternally he is connected with tiie Knights of Pythias, the ]Modern AVood-
men of America and the Modern Brotherhood. In his business life he has
won that success which results from close application, unfaltering diligence
and unwearied industrv.
Frank Henderson, a real-estate agent witli a good clientage, Avas l^n'n
in Montgomery county, Maryland, in l>Si)l. his parent- being Nicholas R.
and Hettie M. (Warfield) Henderson. The father l)ecame a ])lanter in
Maryland, his native state, and both he and hi< wife are still living in
Frank Henderson, who is one of a family of nine children, was edu-
cated in the schools of llowai'd eonnty. and remained a resident of that
state until abont twenly-tliree year,- of age, when in 1(S.S4, he sought the
op[»ort unities of tlie middle we,-t and came to Kansas City. wluM-e he lias
now made his home for almo.st a quarter of a centin-y. For seventeen years
he engaged in the grocery l)usiness in that section, which was formerly the
suburl) of AVcstport, and on selling out in that line he entered into the
real-estate business, which he -till carries on. dt'aling in both city and farm
property at No. 403 Heist building. He not only handles property for
ILDI^N FO^'t: NATIONS
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 407
others, but has also built several houses, and is now occupying the old Ber-
nai'd homestead, one of the landmarks of the city, it having been erected
by hi^ wife's father in 1850.
On the 16th of October, 1889, Mr. Henderson was married in Kansas
City to Miss Nettie Bernard, who was born in the house which they now
occupy. They have one child, Frank Bernard, who is a high-school stu-
dent. Mr. Henderson's attitude toward any movement destined to benefit
the community is that of a supporter. He was a member of the Westport
school board and served on the building committee which erected the Hyde
Park and Allen schools. The cause of education finds in him a stalwart
champion, and one whose labors have been effective in its behalf. He has
little ambition for public office, but gives unfaltering allegiance to the democ-
racy, and is equally loyal to the Methodist church, in which he holds mem-
JAMES ROBERT DOMINICK.
James Robert Dominick, president of the Traders Bank of Kansas City,
was born in Houston, Mississipi3i, December 9, 1863. His father, R. N.
Dominick, a native of Georgia, removed to Mississippi in his boyhood days
and became a planter, merchant and miller there. He was a man of many
interests and of the highest standing in his community. He married Mary
J. Martin, and both have passed away. Mrs. Dominick was a daughter of
Judge T. N, Martin, a man prominent in the legal profession in his section
of the country.
James Robert Dominick was a lad of eight years when his father re-
moved to a place about twenty-five miles w.est of West Point, Mississippi,
where he owned a large plantation, raising corn, cotton and other products
common to the south. He also had a country store and sawmill, gristmill
and carding-mill, which interests drew their patrons from thirty miles
around. It was in that locality that James R. Dominick was reared, and
after mastering the elementary branches of learning in the country schools
he became a student in the State University at Oxford, Mississippi, where
he spent four years, and was then graduated with the degree of Doctor of
Philosophy in 1884. In the preparatory, freshmen and sophomore years
he won first honors, but as he completed the work of the junior and senior
years in one year and changed the course from A. B. to B. P. he was not
allowed to compete for further honors. He was a member of the Hermaean,
one of the college literary societies, and was also a member of the Phi Delta
Theta fraternity. Immediately after his graduation he went to St. Louis,
where he pursued a course in Bryant & Stratton Business College. He then
returned to West Point, Mississippi, where he entered the general store of Mc-
Crary, Watson & Company, continuing as clerk there for two years.
Desiring the opportunities offered by a larger city, however, he was at-
tracted to Kansas City through the study of an ordinary railroad map.
From this he saw there were more railroad lines centering in Kansas City
408 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
I ban any other point, and realizing that raih-oad facihties promote trade
interests he came here in August, 1886. Being favorably impressed with
the city and its possibilities, he decided to make it his home. He had for
some time entertained a desire to engage in the banking business and at
once sought emi3loyment in the local banks. Three days after his arrival
he wa.- otiered a position in the American National Bank if he would start
at a salary (if thirty dollars a month. He readily accepted this, feeling sure
that he could gain promotion. Though not without some means, his habits
were such that he began to put aside a part of his earnings from the start,
notwithstanding his small salary, and thus soon became financially inter-
ested in the institution w^ith wdiich he was connected for fifteen years. He
worked up from an intermediate position to that of cashier, in which capacity
he served for two yeare, having spent a similar period as assistant cashier.
He withdrew in 1900, in order to organize the Traders Bank of Kansas City,
of which he became president, and today he figures prominently in Ijanking
circles. The bank has prospered from the beginning and has paid a reg-
ular dividend to its stockholders, paying now ten per cent dividends annu-
ally, while the selling value of the stock at the present time is more than
two to one. The bank is capitalized for one hundred thousand dollars and
the surplus and undivided profits which have been earned amount to ninety-
five thousand dollars, wdiile the deposits reach about three million. Mr.
Dominick has been an active, leading member of the Missouri Bankers As-
sociation, in which he has served as treasurer and vice president and w^as
elected president in May, 1908. He is interested in a number of banlcs in
this section of the state and is well known as a representative of financial
Mr. Dominick was married in Kansas City, October 27, 1892, to Miss
Gertrude Masten, a daughter of W. C. and N. J. Masten, of this city. Her
father, formerly a railroad contractor, is now deceased. The family attend
the Central Methodist Episcopal church, South, of which Mr. Dominick is a
trustee and steward, as well as a member and liberal supporter. He belongs
to the Commercial Club and to the Merchants & Manufacturers Association.
He is also connected with the Knife & Fork Chib and gives his political
allegiance to the democratic party.
PETER C. GLOVER.
Ill a hi.«tory of those men who have been prominent in Kansas City's
interests mention should be made of Peter G. Glover, who arrived liere in
November, 1887, and settled on what is now a part of Waldo park. There
he engaged in farming and stock-raising for .several years and became widely
known in that connection. He was a native of Mount Sterling. Kentucky,
horn February 8. 1850, and lii.-^ ]iar?nts were Joseph and Mary (Nelson)
Glover. The father was a native of Missouri but at an early day took up
his abode near Blount Sterling. Kentucky . where he purchased land and en-
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 409
gaged in general fanning and stock-raising during the greater part of his
life, meeting with gratifying and well merited success in his undertakings.
His death occurred in Tennessee, after which his widow returned to Ken-
tucky, where she soon afterward passed away.
Peter G. Glover w^as educated in the public schools near his father's
farm in Kentucky and also in Mount Sterling. The assistance which he
rendered in the conduct and improvement of the farm permitted him to at-
tend school to only a limited extent but in the school of experience he
learned many valuable lessons as the years went by and became a practical
and well informed business man.
Mr. Glover resided with his parents at the old home in Kentucky uj) to
the time of his marriage to Miss Nannie Deathridge, a native of Madison
county, Kentuck}', and a daughter of Amos and Susan (Lij^scomb) Death-
ridge. Both the Lipscomb and Deathridge families were prominent in the
Blue Grass state. Amos Deathridge was an extensive farmer and stock-
raiser there, owning several thousand acres of rich and productive land.
Both he and his wife resided in that state until called to their final rest.
Members of the Lipscomb family, however, came to the west and settled at
Kansas City, where some of them now reside, having become prominent in
legal and real-estate circles. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Glover were born nine chil-
dren : Virgil, the wife of Charles E. Shivers, who is engaged in the real-
estate business in Kansas City; Joseph, who wedded Katie Scarce and also
resides in this city ; Sue Etta, living with her mother ; Mary, who died in
Kentucky in 1906; Bernard L., who holds a fine position as rate clerk with
the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway at Kansas City and makes his
home with his mother; Leland, also at home; Nathan, who lives with his
uncle in Kentucky; and Pearl and Amos, both at home.
When Peter G. Glover arrived in Kansas City in 1887 he first rented
five hundred acres of land near what is now Waldo park and subsequently
purchased a part of that property. He was always a lover of stock and be-
gan raising fine stock and hay. He carried on general farming but his live-
stock interests constituted the main branch of his business, in wdiich he
continued actively engaged until 1897, when he sold out, owing to his own
ill health and also to the fact that the farm had then become valuable as city
property. Accordingly he took up his abode at No. 2317 Independence
avenue, after which he lived retired. At all times he was interested in pub-
lic progress and was associated with many movements for the general good.
After his retirement his friends desired him to serve on the board of edu-
cation and he continued in that position during the greater part of his re-
maining days. For a long period prior to his demise, however, he was in
ill health. In 1903 he returned to Kentucky on a visit to his old home and
soon after he again came to Kansas City where he died November 11, 1903.
His family lost a devoted husband and father and his acquaintances a
An analyzation of his life work showed that it wa^ characterized by
fidelity to duty and a thorough appreciation of the responsibilities which
rested upon him. He endeavored to make the world better and was a prom-
410 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
inent and consistent member of the Independence Avenue Christian church,
in the woi*^ of which he was deeply and helpfully interested. He had many
friends in Kansas City, especially among the pioneers, and his good qual-
ities endeared him to all with whom he was associated. He was a man of
strong native intelligence and possessed an excellent memory, whereby he
was continually storing his mind with facts of vital interest. Mrs. Glover,
who, like her husband, is a consistent member of the Independence Avenue
Christian church, resides with her family at No. 2515 Park avenue. Her
good qualities of heart and mind have endeared her to many with whom she
has come in contact and she is well known in church and social circles.
WILLIAM C. GASKILL.
Few business men of Kansas City had a wider acquaintance than did
William C. Gaskill, and he possessed many qualities which gained for him
the friendly regard of those with whom he was associated through life's
contacts and experiences. As the years passed, he acquired a measure of
success that enabled him to spend his last days in the enjoyment of well
earned rest without further recourse to labor. A native of New York, he
was born in Owego, May 4, 1(S51. His father, Wilder J. Gaskill, was an
inventor and merchant of the Empire state, who possessed much mechanical
skill and ingenuity. He owned four sawmills there and got out large
amounts of lumber. After a long residence in the east, he removed westward
to Kansas City, where his last days were passed, his death occurring in 1902,
when he had reached the venerable age of eighty years. His wife, who bore the
maiden name of Betsy Glover, was also a native of New York, and unto
them were born but two children.
William C. Gaskill acquired his education while spending his boyhood
days in his father's home. Early in life he became familiar with merchan-
dising, owing to the fact that he spent much time in his father's store, and,
continuing in this line of business after he had attained man's estate, he
was for seventeen years engaged in the conduct of a store at Apalachin,
New York. The west' however, attracted him, and in May, 1887, he arrived
in Kansas City, being closely associated with its business interests from
that time until about two years prior to his death, which occurred in 1900.
Here he established a restaurant on Missouri avenue near Main street, where
he continued in business for seventeen years. He met with a high degree
of success from the fact that he gave close attention to his interests and
catered to the better class of trade. He had the patronage of the courthouse
and of all of the business men of that section of the city, and conducted an
establishment which was well worthy the trade accorded it. Mr. Gaskill
also dealt in feed, grain, ice and coal, and his annual sales reached a large
figure. His carefully conducted business affairs brought to him gratifying
prosperity as the years passed by, and with a substantial competence he
retired to private life in 1898. Mrs. Gaskill was always at the desk with
W. C. GASKILL.
I LD i-i v: ■i:bations
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY • 413
her husband, and assisted him in his business with her counsel and keen
It was in Owego, New York, in 1870, that Mr. Gaskill was united in
marriage to Miss Huldah Smith, a daughter of Benjamin Smith, a farmer
of Owego. Unto them were born two children, but one is now deceased.
The son, Asher H., is conducting a successful photographic studio in this
city. Mr. Gaskill erected an attractive home at 3733 Warwick boulevard
in 1900, and there his wife and son still reside. His political view^s were
in harmony with the principles of the republican party. The Masonic fra-
ternity found in him a worthy exemplar and the Presbyterian church a
faithful member. His life was in harmony with his professions, and the
many sterling traits of his character gained him a high place in public
regard. He had the faculty of winning friends and of retaining them, and
during the long years of his connection with the business interests of Kan-
sas City he became widely and favorably known among its leading residents.
FREDERICK HUTTIG, JR.
Frederick Huttig, Jr., is associated with one of the inmortant productive
industries of Kansas City as president and general manager of the Western
Stish (fe Door Company. While a large. and important business always makes
heavy demands upon the time, energies and ability of those in control, Mr.
Huttig has always been found equal to the occasion and has readily and cor-
rectly solved intricate business problems.
Fie was born in Muscatine, Iowa, on the 14th of August, 1872, a son of
Frederick and Sophia (Snell) Huttig, both of whom were natives of Ger-
many and came to the United States in early manhood and womanhood.
The father learned the trade of a sash and door maker and locating in Mus-
catine, Iowa, there engaged in manufacture along that line, spending his
active busines.5 life in that city, where he was regarded as a dominant and
influential factor in industrial circles. His political views were in accord
with the principles of the democratic party and he was a recognized leader
in its councils. For a number of years he served as an alderman and filled
other public offices, wielding a wide power and influence in behalf of good
government and of municipal virtue and progress. In 1898 he removed
from Muscatine to Kansas City, where he lived retired up to the time of
his demise in May, 1907. He held membership with the Masonic fraternity
and also with the Knights of Honor and his endorsement of their principles
was indicated by his 'exemplification of their teachings in his life. His
wife died in 1899. Five of their children survive: Lena, the widow of Henry
Gremmel, of Kansas City; William Huttig, president of the National Bank
of the Republic of Kansas City; Kate, the wife of Robert Bryars, of St.