that point, however, Mr. Beals constantly branched out. broadening the
scope of his interests from time to time until he became a prominent factor
in the commercial life of the west. In April, 1860. he established a shoe
store at Central City, Colorado, and in 1832 opened another at Bannock,
Montana. In 1863, however, he removed from Bannock to Virginia City,
Montana, and in the summer of that year also opened a shoe store at Idaho,
City, Idaho. In the succeeding fall he began operations at Salt Lake City,
as a dealer in shoes and leather and conducted all of these establishments
until the fall of 1873, when he disposed of his m.ercantile interests. He had
met the hard conditions occasioned bv the wild and unimproved condition
of the west, the lack of railroad facilities and occasional trouble with the In-
dians, but his perseverance enabled him to overcome obstacles and hi? mer-
cantile interests and judicious investment in other lines brought him grati-
fying profit. He sold the Colorado store to John S. McCowl, the Virginia
City store to Daniel We.ston and the Salt Lake store to William Sloan and
John AV. Kerr. At the time of his first arrival in St. Joseph there were no
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
railroads west of that point and for many years afterward all shipping to
36 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
the west was done by inule and ox trains, Avhich took from thirty-five to
seventy-five days from St. Josei^li to his different stores. His travels through
the west had brought liini a Ivnowledge of tlie cattle industry and, return-
ing to Colorado in 1873, he engaged in business in that line on the Arkansas
river and Sand creek. In 1877 he established a ranch on the Canadian
river in the Pan Handle of Texas and his operations in cattle, as in mer-
cantile lines, were guided by a sound judgment and supplemented by an
unfaltering industry that constituted the basis of his prosperity. As he de-
veloped his cattle interests he established headquarters at Chicago and in
1877 he organized the Beals Cattle Company, under which name he carried
on operations in Texas. About the time of the removal to Texas he was as-
vsociated in business with Mr. Clement and Mr. Rosencrans. Cattle ship-
ments were made from Dodge City, while his residence and business head-
quarter were maintained in Chicago. In 1884, however, Mr. Beals sold
out his cattle interest and moved to Kansas City and purchased his present
residence site at No. 250!5 Independence avenue — a tract of five acres on
which he soon afterward erected his present home. His immediate associa-
tion with the liusiness life of the city began in 1886, and he organized the
Union National Bank in the spring of 1887, of which he has continuously
served as the president. It was capitalized for six hundred thousand dollars
and today there is a surplus of six hundred thousand dollars and undivided
earnings of two lumdred thousand dollars. Despite the stringent times
tb rough which the country has passed since its organization the Union Na-
lioiial has never failed to make a semi-annual dividend. It has always paid
(111 its investment from -ix to twelve per cent and is regarded throughout
\]\v west as one of the most substantial and reliable moneyed institutions
ill tbis section of the countrv.
Mr. Beals is widely recognized as a man of ready resource and of keen
insigbt into a business situation and its ])o-sibilities. justly rating its diffi-
cuUies and its opportunities, and thus with no false standard lie lias utilized
the means at hand in the acquirement of success which is as honorable as
it is gratifying. Aside from the bank he is interested in various other finan-
cial aiul commercial (enterprises of Kansas City and also to a large extent
in Kansas City real estate. His realty holdings include many valuable busi-
ness and residence properties, including the Beals building, the L X build-
ing at the corner of Eighth and Grand, the T. A. building at Twelfth and
McOee and the business block at Twelfth and Troost. Tlie fir4 and last of
these business buildings were erected by Mr. Beals. who has also erected
many residences, some of which he still owns. He has recently built fine res-
idences for his two daughters, Mrs. Brown and Mi's. Conover.
Mr. Beals has been married twice. In Abingfon, Massachxisetts, April
20, 1851, he wedded Miss Ruth Cobb, of Maine, and to them were born
two children: David T., who died at the age of two years; and Tryphosa,
the wife of Adolphus H. Brown, now of Kansas City. The mother died in
1881 and on the 14th of October, 1884, Mr. Beals was married by the Rev.
Mr. Bowers to Arista Thurston, of Mount Vernon, Ohio, the wedding being
celebraied at Clinton. "Massachusetts. There are two children of this second
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 37
marriage: Dora, now the wife of John A. Conover, of the Richards & Con-
o\ex Hardware ConijDauy of Kansaw City; and David T., who is now a senior
in the Central high scliool at the age of eighteen years and expects to enter
Cornell University in the fall of 1908. On Thanksgiving evening of 1891,
when he was but two years old, he was kidnaped. This event created the
greatest excitement that Kansas City has ever experienced and the outcome
was awaited with interest throughout the entire country. The father, how-
ever, secured the return of the boy on the payment of five thousand dollars
and no questions asked. Mrs. Arista Beals passed away January 12, 1908.
Mr. Beals was for many years a member of the Unitarian church and
active in its work. His father built the first Congregational church in North
Abington in 1832. Mr. Beals has ^Iso held membership in many of the
leading clubs of this and other cities and is still identified with a number of
these. Although he has passed the seventy-sixth milestone on life's journey
he is a remarkaljly well preserved man mentally and physically and is con-
sidered one of the most able business men in the banking circles of the city.
In manner he is genial and unreserved, courteous and friendly and with a
most kindly nature. Aside from his busine^ss interests his time is largely
given to his family. He is devoted to the welfare of his children and holds
homes ties mo.st sacred and friendship inviolable. His career should serve
as a les.-^on to the young, for starting in life under adverse circumstances, his
record illustrates most forcibly the power of patient and persistent effort and
self-reliance. He has conducted all affairs so as to merit the esteem of all
classes of citizens and no word of reproach is ever uttered against him.
ROBERT C. PEARSON.
Robert C. Pearson, deceased, was well known throughout Missouri as a
court reporter, in which position he gained distinction by hLs skill, ability
and thoroughness. He was born in Harrisonville, Missouri, in 1873, and
w^as a representative of an old family of this state. His father was William
D. Pearson, also a native of Missouri, who for many years conducted a suc-
cessful business in loans and later in farming lands.
Robert C. Pearson was reared under the parental roof in the city of his
nativity, and, passing through consecutive grades in the public schools, early
became a high school graduate. In preparation for a professional career he
took up the study of law in the office and under the direction of R. T. Railey,
assistant attorney of the Missouri, Pacific Railroad Company. Later he-
served four years as reporter under Judge Jarrett and also served under Judge
Slover. He became known throughout jNIissouri in law business and his pro-
ficiency gained him a place with the leading representatives of court report-
ing in this part of the country. In 1904 he came to Kansas City, believing
it a good place to locate, becoming a member of the firm of Brown, Knight,
Adams & Pearson, court reporters. Purchasing property here he continued
to reside in the citv until called to his final rest in November, 1906.
38 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
Mr. Pearson was married in May, 1898, to Miss Anita Drane, and unto
them have been born three children, Dorothy, iSIildred and Laura Louise.
Mrs. Pearson is a daughter of John R. Drane, a native of Kentucky, who
came to Missouri in early life and was married to Miss Mary Cook, also of
Mr. Pearson belonged to the Modern Woodmen Camp, the A. O. U. W.,
and also affiliated with the Knights of Pythias. His political allegiance was
given to the democracy, Ijut the demands of his profession left him no time
for activity in political circles. His work was at all times characterized by
system, thoroughness and accuracy, and he gained reputation as one of the
best court reporters in jNIissouri. He was, moreover, known as a social, genial
gentleman, whose good qualities won him warm personal friendship and high
regard. He was a young man of but thirty-three years at the time of his
death and his demise was greatly regretted by all who knew him.
WILLIAM H. ROSS.
William H. Ross, who died in 1893, was ^^ell known in real-estate circles
in Kansas City. A native of Pennsylvania, he was born in 1838 and in
1850 came to the middle west with his parents, who settled at Bloomington,
Illinois. His father was Mark Ross, while his mother, prior to her marriage,
bore the name of Hester Schmider. In the family of this worthy couple were
AVilliam II. Ross was a youth of twelve years at the time of the removal
of the family from the Keystone state to Illinois. There he resided until after
the outbreak of the Civil war, Avhen, espousing the cause of the. Union, he
enlisted for one hundred days' service as a member of the One Hundred and
Forty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Following the close of hostilities he
continued his residence in Illinois until 1875, when he removed to Missouri,
settling at Sedalia. There he engaged in the re.al-estate and loan business
and in both brancbes secured a good clientage, negotiating many important
property transfers and placing many loans. Becoming deeply interested in
the state and its welfare, he studied the question of Kansas City's opportuni-
ties, and in 1887. witli firm faith in its future, came here to live. Here he
again opi-rated in I'cal e.-tati' for >ix years, or until his death.
In 1864, at I>loomington, IlHnois, Mr. Ross was united in marriage to
Miss May Toms, wbo was born in Princeton, New" Jersey, and in 1854 went
with her parents to Illinois, the family home being established in McLean
county. I'nto this marriage were l)orn five children: George C, now of
Kansas City; Charles T., who is agent for the Vnilcd States Express Com-
pany: Kdmund M. and (filbert V., both of this city; and Nellie C, the wife
of William K. Ludlow, of Indiana])olis, Indiana.
Mr. Ross was always a very active and successful ])usine,ss man, and his
sons are following in liis footsteps and are meeting with ])rospprity in their
undertaking.-. Mr. Ro.ss gave his ]»olitical .-^np])oi1 to liie repul)lican ]iarty
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 39
and always kept well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He was
much interested in temperance work and did all in his power to further that
cause. His life was actuated by noble principles and high ideals and was
always in harmony with his profession as a member of the Christian church,
in which he took a most helpful part. Loyal to his church, progressive in
citizenship, faithful in friendship and devoted to his family, there were in
his life record those splendid traits of character which endear a man to his
fellowmen and cause his memory to be sacredly cherished when he has passed
FRANCIS M. HAYWARD.
Francis M. Hayward was born at Walpole, New Hampshire, February
28, 1S56, his parents being .John W. and Esther C. (Morse) Hayward, natives
of Massachusetts and New Hampshire, respectively. His father prepared for
Harvard at the Boston Latin School, but owing to a severe illness was obliged
to abandon his college course and become a New Hampshire farmer. He
held many town offices and in the sixties was a member of the New Hamp-
shire legislature, and now, at the ripe age of eighty, is town clerk of Walpole.
The grandfather, .John W. Hayward, and great-grandfather, Lemuel Hay-
ward, were both graduates of Harvard College, the former a lawyer, the
latter a surgeon in the Revolution, and attaining eminence in his profession
as a physician in Boston.
Francis M. Hayward graduated at Dartmouth in the class of 1880, and
afterward studied law for two years at the Harvard Law School. In the fall
of 1882 he came west, settling at Topeka, where he was admitted to the bar
the same year. He formed a partnership with F. H. Foster, of Topeka, under
the name of Foster & Hayward, and continued in such firm till the spring
of 1887, when he came to Kansas City to become the attorney of a mortgage
company. In 1888 he formed a law partnership with Frederick W. Griffin,
under the name of Hayward & Griffin, and was associated with Mr. Griffin
till 1893. In 1898 he formed another partnership with John Muckle, under
the name of Muckle & Hayward; later the firm became Muckle, Hayward
& McLane. Afterward Mr. Muckle withdrew from the firm, leaving it as it
now is, Hayward & McLane. In 1905 Mr. Hayward became associate city
counselor, which position he still occupies. Mr. Hayward has represented
many large interests, serving his clients with diligence and fidelity.
In 1903 he wrote a little book on ''Local Assessments in Missouri" — a
work of value to attorneys. His standing at the bar is a merited tribute to
his ability. In no profession is there a career more open to talent or one in
which success depends so largely upon individual effort or capability. In the
discussion of intricate questions before the court he displays a knowledge
that could only be based upon thorough preparation. He is quick to perceive
and guard the dangerous phases of his cases, and never fails to assault his
adversary at the point where his armor is weakest.
40 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
On the loth of June, 1884, Mr. Ilayward was married to ^liss Kate S.
Davis, of Gale.sburg, Illinois, and they are now the parent^; of two sons and
a daughter: Charles D., Margaret and George M. The eldest, although but
twenty-tAVO years of age, holds the position of receiving teller in the First
National Bank of Kansas City. The family attend St. George's (Episcopal)
church, in which Mr. Ilayward is vestryman and warden, while he has just
comj^lcted his second term as president of the church club of the diocese of
Mr. Ilayward has never before sought an elective office, but is now the
republican candidate for judge of the Circuit Court of Jackson County,
Missouri, Division Six.
DAVID 0. SMART.
David 0. Smart, w^hose recent death deprived Kansas City of one of its
most prominent and successful residents, was for many years engaged in
the banking, real-estate and stock brokerage business. His labors contrib-
uted to the city's commercial prosperity and to its material development.
He laid out the D. 0. Smart addition to Kansas City and from pioneer times
until hi* death was an active factor in much that contributed to the city's
upbuilding. He was born near Independence, Missouri, February 15, 1843,
a son of James and Elizabeth Smart, both of whom were natives of Ken-
tucky, whence they removed to Independence during the early period of
the existence of that place, which is now a suburb of Kansas City. The dis-
trict bore little resemblance to the now populous region. The father pur-
chased a large farm there and carried on general agricultural pursuits
throughout the remainder of his life. Both he and his wife spent their re-
maining days there and were prominent not only in promoting the farming
interests of the community but also in advancing the moral development
through their earnest and active cooperation in the work of the Christian
church, Mr. Smart assisting in organizing the first society of that denomi-
nation in Jackson county.
David 0. Smart, entering school at the usual age, remained a student
in Independence until 1860, when his parents sent him to Bethany College,
a school at Bethany, West Virginia, inniiilnincd by (he Christian church and
established by Alexander Campbell. It was one of the well known secular
schools of the early days and many young men in Jackson county attended
it. Mr. Smart was pursuing his studies there at the time of the outbreak of
the Civil war in 1801. Putting aside hi< text-books soon after the surrender
of Fort Sumter in April of that year, he went to Bath county, Kentucky,
where he spent seven months, and then returned to Missouri in December,
1801. On the 12th of August. 1862, he enlisted in the Confederate army
and participated in the battles of Lone Jack, Newtonia, Cain Hill, Prairie
Grove, Springfield and Hartville. He eventually became sergeant major in
D. 0. SMART.
ITILDEN FOUI - ? Tl^iW'"-
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 43
Shelby's fighting brigade and continued with the Confederate forces until
muiStered out of the, service at the close of the war.
Following the cessation of hostilities Mr. Smart returned home and ac-
cepted a position as bookkeej^er in a bank in Independence. A little later
he came, to Kansas City, where he embarked in the banking business with
€harles Gudgell under the firm name of David 0. Smart & Company, the
business being carried on for about six years in the Junction building. Then
David 0. Smart & Company consolidated with the Maslin Bank, with which he
was connected until 1878. Later Mr. Smart became heavily interested in the
cattle business in jpartnership with AVilliam A. and John R. Towers, under the
firm name of Towers & Gudgell, having an office in the Commercial block.
Mr. Smart attended to the work of the office while Mr. Towers had charge
of the buying of the stock throughout the country. At this time they owned
one of the largest cattle ranches in wTstern Oklahoma, known as the 0. X.
Ranch. At the same time Mr. Smart held large interests in real estate, hav-
ing invested in property all over Kansas City. He owned considerable busi-
ness property including the buildings now occupied by the Corn Belt Bank,
the Parisian Cloak Company, the Household Fair, and several others. He
also laid out the D. 0. Smart addition in the northeastern part of the city
and there as a speculative builder he erected and sold many of the fine res-
idences that now adorn that section. In business affairs he was notably
prompt, energetic and reliable, placing his investments judiciously, while
seldom, if ever, was his judgment at error in determining the value of any
business proposition or opportunity. He continued in the real-estate busi-
ness throughout his remaining days and left to his family valuable property
Iioldings. He built and owned a number of flat or apartment buildings in
various districts and his improvement of property led to rise in values in
"various sections where he operated.
On the 11th of October, 1866, Mr. Smart was married to Miss Alice M.
TV'alrond, a native of Kansas City and a daughter of Madison and Caroline
Walrond, both of whom were natives of Kentucky and became pioneer res-
idents here. Mr. Walrond engaged in building contracting during the
greater part of his life and was also a large property owner, at one time hav-
ing the eighty-acre tract, which is now Smart's addition to Kansas City. Mr.
Walrond resided here until his death and his widow afterward became the
wife of G. W. McLeod, who was engaged in the transfer and bus business
in Kansas City and died here. Mrs. McLeod afterward became the wife of
Edward P. Graves, with whom she is now residing at No. 3000 East Sixth
street at the age of seventy-eight years. Mr. Grave* is not engaged in any
active business at present. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Smart Avere born a daughter
and two sons: Emma, the wife of James S. Donaldson, who is a member of
the real-estate and fire insurance firm of Donaldson & Smart with offices in
the R. A. Long building; Thomas A., who married Jimmie Laudeman and
resides on a farm near Lee's Summit, Missouri; and David 0., who wedded
Ann Lewis and is the junior partner of the firm of Donaldson & Smart. Mr.
and Mrs. Donaldson reside with Mrs. D. 0. Smart. Sr. The family of D. 0.
Smart. Jr., reside at 357 Gladstone boulevard.
44 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
While David 0. Smart achieved a measure of success that would entitle
him to distinction, it wns other traits of his character that won for him the
unqualified love, confidence and trust of those with whom he was associated.
He was one of the most prominent church Avorkers of the city, both he and
his wife holding membership in the Independence Boulevard Christian
church. The la.st years of his life were devoted to church and public work,
in which coiuiection his influence was far-reaching and beneficial. He was
one of the founders of the Prospect Avenue Christian church — the home of
the present church before the stone edifice on the boulevard was erected.
He was president of the National Board of Church Extension of the Chris-
tian church from its organization in 1S88 and just prior to his death was
again elected for the nineteenth year. During his incumbency and, as the
result of his ;il)le management and financial ability, the funds of tiie board
were increased from ten thousand to about six hundred thousand dollars.
Because of his having charge of this work the headquarters of the national
extension connnittee were alwavs maintained in Kansas Citv. For over
forty years Mr. Smart vras either elder or deacon of his church, was a teacher
in the Sunday school at the time of his death and each Sunday for many
years taught a class in school. He -was thus engaged when the angel of
death called him. November 9, 1898. It was about nine o'clock in the
evening and the young people's revival service w^as about to close in the Inde-
pendence Boulevard Christian church. About fiftee.n hundred persons were
present and on the occasion Mr. Smart taught a class of fifteen young ladies.
Following the singing of two hymns, the Rev. Mr. Small delivered a sermon
upon the subject, "What shall I do to be saved," and before pronouncing
the benediction he called upon Mr. Smart for a few remarks, whereupon the
latter requested the audience to stand and read with him the beautiful hymn,
"All my class for Jesus." Before they had finished those aroimd Mr. Smart
noticed that he had become very pale and the minister asked if there was a
physician in the audience. Four responded and after laying him down on
a seat they arranged to carry him across the street to his residence, but he
died before reaching the house. At the time of his demise Mrs. Smart w^as
visiting her son at Lee's Summit. For several years Mr. Smart had been
in ill health bnl his interest in the affairs of life never diminished, espec-
ially in relation to those things which pertained to the moral development
of the race.
In politics Mr. Smart was a democrat but voted for the man whom he
believed In'st (lualified for office rather than for party. He was elected upon
the democratic ticket a member of the state legislature. This was the only
political office that he ever held excepting that he was judge of elections at
different times. He owned and had in his po.ssession the first park certificate
that was issued in Kansas City, and in accordance witli his request Mrs.
Smart has recently had it mounted and framed and placed in the public
No man in Kansas City had more friends than David 0. Smart, Hifl
entire life was passed within it* borders or adjacent thereto in the town of
Independence and hi,= history was always an open hook which all might read.
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 45
While he possessed excellent business ability that enabled him to acquire
wealth there was not one single esoteric phase in his career. On the contrary,
his business methods were such as would ever bear the closest scrutiny and
investigation. In all the relations of his life he was actuated by high and
lofty principles which had their foundation in his Christian belief.
Religion was to him a matter of every day living and not of Sunday worship.
As few men have done, he realized individual obligation and recognized the
truth of universal brotherhood. He held friendship inviolable, his family
ties as a sacred trust and citizenship as a duty. Quickly touched by a tale of
sorrow or distress his sympathy responded without hesitation for the relief
of those in need of assistance. He never gave from any sense of duty but