Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 40 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Louis, ]\Iissouri; Charles H., president of the Third National Bank of St.
Louis: and Frederick, of this review.



414 • HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

Frederick Huttig, Jr., was sent to school at the usual age and completed
the high-school course in Muscatine at the comparatively early age of seven-
teen years. He then entered upon his business career as a member of the
firm of the Huttig Brothers Sash iSl Door Company at St. Joseph, Missouri,
of which he became the secretary. The assistance which he had previously
rendered his father in that line well qualified him for the successful conduct
of the business and for two years he remained in that position, after which
he went to Wichita, Kansas, to take charge of a branch house for the Hut-
tig Brothers Sash & Door Company. He had the general management, of
the business at that point, where he remained for two years, and in 1892 he
came to Kansas City, where he was offered and accepted the secretaryship of
the Western Sash & Door Company. He continued in that position until
January 1, 1908, when he was made president and general manager of the
company and is thus filling the position of the chief executive officer of the
largest concern of its kind in the United States. The business has been de-
veloped to mammoth proportions and its output is most extensive, the product
of the factory being shipped to many sections of the country. The business
has been carefully systematized, so that there is no waste of time, labor or
material, while the utmost accuracy and method are maintained in the man-
agement of the office.

Mr. Huttig was married April 17, 1895, to Miss Katherine Holmes, a
daughter of James T. Holmes, a capitalist of Kansas City. Unto them have
been born two sons and a daughter: W. D. Holmes, John N. P. and Kath-
erine Louise. The family residence is at No. 2800 East Ninth street and is
attractive by reason of its warm-hearted hospitality. The parents are mem-
bers of the Calvary Baptist church and Mr. Huttig belongs to Rural Lodge,
A. F. & A. M. He has also taken the degrees of the Scottish Rite and be-
longs to Kansas City lodge, B. & P. 0. E. He is moreover a member of the
Commercial Club, the Kansas City Club and the Kansas City Athletic Club.
He feels a keen interest in community affairs and his efforts in behalf of
the welfare of Kansas City have been far-reaching and beneficial. He has
endeavored to make Kansas City what it is today — the commercial center of
the great central west — and he labors for the public progress in the same
practical manner in which he supervises his individual interests. He stands
as a splendid type of the noble American citizen and manliness, patriotism,
sincerity and friendship are instructively associated with his name.



GEORGE EDWARD STEVENSON.

George Edward Stevenson, of Kansas City, was born at Adrian, Mich-
igan, October 23, 1876, a son of E. J. and Sarah (Appleton) Stevenson. The
father, a native of New York, engaged in business as a lumber merchant
up to the time of his death, which occurred about twenty-five years ago. The
mother, a native of Michigan, is also deceased. Reared in the state of his



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 415

nativity, George E. Stevenson pursued his education in the schools of Adrian
to the age of fifteen years, when he entered upon his business career in con-
nection with the lumber industry established by his grandfather, A. Steven-
son, and conducted under the firm style of A. Stevenson & Son. He was
identified therewith until 1902, when he removed from Adrian and spent
some time in the hardwood lumber business in Chicago. Subsequently he
traveled in Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, Kansa.s and Oklahoma for various
yellow pine manufacturers with headquarters in St. Louis. He afterward
worked for lumber firms in northern Louisiana for a short time and in the
early spring of 1905 came to Kansas City, where he established a lumber
commission business under the style of the G. E. Stevenson Lumber Com-
pany. This name was retained until March 1, 1906, when, associated with
M. G. West and others, he organized the Stevenson & West Lumber Com-
pany, of which he became the president. This company at first handled
the cut of only one mill but the business developed rapidly and they had the
exclusive cut of seven mills, besides handling a portion of the output of about
fifteen others. They dealt exclusively in yellow pine and had representatives
at Chicago and Decatur, Illinois; Hastings, Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska;
Wichita, Kansas; and Des Moines, Iowa. They shipped as far north as Du-
lul]i, as far east as New York and to southern and western points in New
Mexico and Colorado.

On the 17th of November, 1903, Mr. Stevenson was married to Miss Mar-
guerite Pratt, a daughter of Chester N. Pratt, of Kansas City, and they have
two children, Isabelle and George Edward, Jr., aged respectively three and
one years. The family residence is at No. 3512 Cherry street and its hospitality
is one of its very attractive features. Mr. Stevenson is independent in politics,
nor has he ever sought to figure prominently in any public light outside of
business circles. He belongs to the Kansas City Club and the Hoo Hoos and
has those social qualities which render him a favorite among his brethren
of these organizations. He is preeminently a business man, with well bal-
anced capacities and powers such as inspire confidence in others. While not
a genius or possessing any phenomenal characteristics, he is capable of mature
judgment of his own capacities and of the people and circumstances that make
up his life conditions and experiences. He is thus able to correctly value a
situation, recognizing all the different phases that bear upon it, and in the
wise use of his opportunities he has found the path to the success which he
is now enjoying.



HIRAM BARKLEY



Hiram Barkley, who is living retired from business cares, was at one
time identified with commercial interests in Kansas City as a dealer in
agricultural implements. It is fitting that he is now enjoying rest from'
further labor, for he has traveled far on life's journey, having reached the
eighty-fourth milestone. His birth occurred in Winchester, Clark county,



410 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

Kentucky, April 28, 1824, his parents being William and Nancy (Shelton)
Barkley, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Virginia.
The paternal grandfather, William Barkley, was also born in North Carolina,
and Avas a representative of an old colonial family, the lirst American mem-
bers coming from Ireland. The family was represented in the patriot army
in the war of the Revolution. Unto Mr. and Mrs. William Barkley were born
three sons: Silas, who died in Bath county, Kentucky; Oliver, who died in
Mount Pulaski, Illinois; and Hiram.

The last named acquired his education under the instruction of private
tutors and in the country schools and was reared to farm pursuits. His
father owned a plantation which he operated with the aid of slave labor. He
died in 1833, the year of the cholera epidemic, at which time Hiram Barkley
was but nine years of age. When some years had passed he took charge of
the plantation and traded extensively in cattle, horses and mules. He re-
sided at the place of his nativity until 1879 and was quite successful, display-
ing good management, keen discernment and excellent judgment in his
business affairs. At the close of the war the slaves, having been so well
treated by himself and his father, remained upon the plantation and thus
his business interests were conducted without interruption and brought to
him a good financial return. During the period of hostilities between the
north and south Mr. Barkley traveled on horesback throughout the country,
buying mules and horses which he sold to the army.

In the year 1847 occurred the marriage of Hiram Barkley and ]\Iiss
Bettie Campbell, a native of Garrard county, Kentucky, and a daughter of
Whittaker and Pamela (Perkins) Campbell. Her father was a prominent
resident of the Blue Grass state and a highly educated lawyer, w4io, having
gi'aduated from the University of Virginia, became a member of the Ken-
tucky bar and served there for many years as judge of Garrard county,
leaving the impress of his individuality upon the judicial and legal history
of the state that has produced many eminent lawyers.

In 1879 Mr. Barkley sold the old plantation in Kentucky and purchased
the Tom Bufort farm in Henry county, that state. Mr. Bufort was a typical
gentleman of the old school who believed in maintaining what he believed
to be his rights and when his farm was sold by the sheriff he held out against
the officers of the law with a gun for over a week. As stated, this place
came into the possession of Mr. Barkley in 1879 and he made his home
thereon until 1886, when he sold the farm and removed to Denver, Colorado,
on account of the ill health of his wife, who died there in 1893.

In July, 1895, Mr. l^)arkl('y came to Kansas City and engaged in the
implement business with U.S. Rhoadcs, under the firm style of the Rhoades-
Barklev Companv. Their ijlace of business was at No. 1311 Hickorv street
and the cnlciprise was .successfully cniKluctcd until the death of Mr. Rhoades
about five years ago, since which tini(> Mr. Barkley has lived retired. Through-
out his business career his careful management, unwearied industry and
laudable amhition l)rought to Jiini tlie success that now ,-ui)i)lies him with all
of the comforts and inanv of the luxui'ies that go to \\\;\kv life worth living.



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 417

Seven children were born unto Mr. and Mrs. Barkley: Ella, who died
at the age of six years ; Whittaker, who died in boyhood ; James, who died in
early life; Thomas, a graduate of Bethany College of West Virginia and
later of the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, after which he engaged
in the practice of medicine until his death, which occurred in Chattanooga,
Tennessee, in 1895 ; Elias Campbell, who was a graduate of the Eminence
College near Louisville, Kentucky, and became a traveling salesman for the
Moline Plow Company, his death occurring in Kansas City in 1905 ; Ella,
who completed her education at Hamilton College, in Lexington, Kentucky,
and is now the wife of J. D. Estes, who is engaged in the farm machinery
business in Kansas City; and Lillian, the wife of W. Diehl, of Kansas City.

Mr. Barkley and his family are members of the Hyde Park Christian
church and he has been identified with that denomination from his boyhood.
He has been a lifelong democrat and always an advocate of prohibition,
standing in support of the temperance cause. His life has been exemplary in
many respects. He has followed closely the teachings of his church and has
ever endeavored to do unto others as he would have them do unto him. His
integrity and honor have stood every test of the business world, while in every
relation of life he has been found a true gentleman, possessing that chivalry
and courtesy which are characteristic of the best type of the southern man.
The purity of his language springs from a heart true to every manly prin-
ciple, and deference for the opinion of others has ever been one of his marked
characteristics.



CHARLES RABER.



Charles Raber is now living on land which his father farmed fifty-one
years ago. He has retired from active business but for many years was asso-
ciated with business interests here and few of the residents of Kansas City
have more intimate knowledge of its development and progress. He was born
in Canton Zurich, Switzerland, December 26, 1841, and in the spring of 1847
came to America with his parents, Cornelius and Regula Raber, who settled
at Highland, Illinois. There he acquired his early education and when four-
teen years of age accompanied his parents to Kansas City, Avhich at that time,
however, was little more than a landing. They took up their abode at West-
port on the •25th of October, 1855, the father renting a small tract of land
known as the Lewis place, upon which he followed farming up to the day of
his death, which occurred August 26, 1856.

Charles Raber was at that time in the employ of F. H. Booth and re-
mained in his service until 1862, when he formed a partnership with Martin
Keck to conduct a general freighting business. He thus made about twenty,
trips across the plains to Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado and other points,
being thus engaged until 1868, when the Kansas Pacific Railroad was built
through to Denver. The freighters naturally could not compete with it and
the firm of Raber & Keck sold their outfits. They owned an old ox, Tom, that
bv actual count made over ten thousand miles in Mr. Raber's service. After



418 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

retiring from freighting Mr. Raber became associated with the Hehnerich's
Western Brewery and for a time carried on a brewing business, but not meet-
ing with very great success in that field of endeavor he sold out after two years.
He next became connected with the billiard hall at the corner of Grand
avenue and Fifteenth street. He built the old Armory hall at Fifteenth street
and Grand avenue in connection with Joseph Leffler, whose interest he pur-
chased in 1896. The building is three stories in height, fifty by ninety feet,
and he continued as sole owner until eighteen months ago, when he sold out.
In 1885 he erected a dwelling on McGee street, where he lived until about a
year ago, when he bought his present home at No. 3818 Genesee street.

Mr. Raber was married in Kansas City June 9, 1874, to Miss Josephine
Engler and they have three children living: Clara E., who w^as born March
5, 1875, and is now Mrs. Schroder; Cornelius, born December 24, 1878; and
Anna, who was born December 14, 1880, and is now Mrs. Walton.

Mr. Raber is a stalwart republican and at almost every election until a
recent date has served as judge of election since the adoption of tlie Aus-
tralian ballot. He is the oldest member of Kansas City Lodge, No. 1, K. P.
and is a charter member of the Uniformed Rank, No. 3, of which he served as
captain for six years. His wife is also a charter member of Calantha Temple,
No. 1, Rathbone Sisters. He has been a liberal contributor to the German
hospital and to other benevolent interests. For many years he has been active
in the upbuilding of Kansas City and few, indeed, are those who have more
intimate knowledge concerning its growth and progress. His memory forms
a connecting link between the primitive past, when there stood only a small
village here, and the progressive present, when today is found one of the
most thriving and enterprising American cities.



THE E. STINE & SON UNDERTAKING COMPANY.

The E. Stine & Son Undertaking Company, of Kansas City, is the em-
bodiment of a partnership formed between E. Stine, W. F. Stine and Wil-
liam M. McClure. The senior partner, E. Stine, was born January 2, 1833,
in Jonestown, Pennsylvania, and was reared upon a farm to the age of six-
teen years, early becoming familiar with the duties of field and meadow,
but thinking to find other pursuits more congenial he then apprenticed him-
self to a cabinet-maker at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. After serving his term
he came to the west, and has since been connected with this part of the
country.

On the 2d of October, 1856, Mr. Stine was united in marriage at Vin-
ton. Iowa, to Miss Emma L. Coleman, and in March, 1858, they removed
to Kansas City, where for a half century Mr. Stine has now made his home.
For three years he was with Henning & Company, furniture dealers, and in
December, 1861, he began business on his own account as an undertaker.
Soon after he had started out for himself he was engaged in burying sol-
diers under contract secured through Colonel Theodore Case, then quarter-




EDWARD STINE.



^ -. KlVJ YORK
PUBLIC LIBRARY



ASTOR, LENOX
TILDEN FOUK RATIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 421

master at this point. Mr. Stine wa.s himself in the army for a short time,
and is a member of McPherson Post, G. A. R. He has been actively
in the undertaking business for a longer period than any other man in Kan-
sas City, and organized the present firm, which is accorded an extensve
patronage.

In his social relations, aside from his connection with his old army
comrades as a member of the post, Mr. Stine is a Mason. He has attained
high rank in the order and is now a member of the Mystic Shrine. His
family includes a son and daughter, the latter being Mrs. Fannie Pursley,
the wife of Albert Pursley, auditor of the Kansas City postoffice.

W. F. Stine, the son, was born in Kansas City, June 7, 1862, and has
spent his entire life here. He was admitted to a partnership in his father's
business in 1886 and has since been connected therewith. Like his father,
he is well known in Masonic circles, having attained the K. C. C. H. degree
of the Scottish Rite, and is also a' Knight of Pythias and Woodman. In
1891 he married Miss Jennie McClellan, of St. Louis.

The other partner in the business of the E. Stine & Son Undertaking
Company is William M. McClure, who was admitted upon incorporation in
1906. He had been with the firm for eighteen years as a most trusted and
^capable employe, having come to Kansas City from Iowa. He, too, is a
]\Iason and a Knight Templar. The firm is prominent, and its success is
Avell merited by reason of its straightforward business methods.



ROBERT GREEN.



One noting the quietude of deportment and the easy dignity of Robert
Green, now in the seventy-sixth year of his age, would hardly dream that
fighting blood was once strong within him. Yet he is numbered among the
heroes of the English wars in India and was rewarded by Queen Victoria for
his bravery at the battle of Lucknow^ receiving a medal for the unfaltering
loyalty w^hich he displayed in the siege, which is one of the most memorable
in the military history of the world. His birth occurred at College Hill, in Not-
tinghamshire, England, .Tune 28, 1833. His father, Joseph Green, was also a
native of Nottingham, born in the town of Hucknall Torkard. For many
years he was steward for the Duke of Portland and died in his native country.
His wafe bore the maiden name of Ann George and they were married and
spent their entire lives in Nottinghamshire, where were born unto them five
children : Jane, Robert, Eliza, John and Emily.

Robert Green had but limited opportunities for the acquirement of an
education. When only nine years of age he aided in plowing and doing
other work on the estates of the Duke of Portland and was there employed
until the death of the duke, when Mr. Green was twenty-three years of age, the
latter attending the funeral. When thirteen years of age he had entered
upon an apprenticeship to the wheelwright and joiner's trade, but at nine-
teen his indenture papers w^ere cancelled on account of illness and also on



422 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

account of the unkind treatment of his employer. At that time, 1852, he
enlisted in the Second Battalion of the Sixtieth Royal Rifles but purchased
his discharge at the end of a year. On the 5th of February, 1856, however, he
joined the Royal Horse Artiller}- at Woolwich as a wheelwright and served
during the Crimean war. About December, 1856, he was assigned to F
Troop, Royal Horse Artillery, under Colonel De Agler, lying at Camp Alder-
shot, where he remained until the troop was ordered back to Woolwich in July,
1857, to give up their hoi^ses and guns preparatory to sailing for India. On
the 31st of July they went on board the steamship Scotland, which was lying
at Woolwich dock, to receive and convey them to India to assist in putting
down the mutiny there. On the following day, the 1st of August, the steamer
proceeded down the river Thames to Falmouth to receive more supplies and
this was the last point touched in England. The first night on the sea was
frightfully stormy. The fifth day out they hove in sight of the Madeira
Islands and six weeks later sighted Cape Good Hope. The steamer then
anchored in Table Bay. where they remained for four or five days taking on
coal and provisions. On the night of November 15, 1857, they anchored in
the Hugla river, eight or ten miles from Calcutta, and soon afterward landed
at the city from flatboats. They proceeded to Benares, where the cook put
poison in their gruel. The troops being equipped there, they moved on to
Cawnpore. where an attacking army was formed under the command of
General Sir Cullen Campbell. There the horse of one of the officers bolted
with him into the enemy's lines. His men started to follow but were recalled
and a few minutes later the head of the unfortunate officer was stuck on a pole
and flaunted in the faces of the English. The troops fought in and about
Lucknow until after the close of the war, eighteen months later. They went
through jungles and it was not an unusual thing for one of the tigers of that
district to jump upon one of the men and make off with him.

Mr. Gre^n continued to serve with the British army in India for about
five years and three years after reaching that country he was joined by his wife,
who accompanied him on his travels. Following the trouble at Lucknow the
service, however, was largely that of garrison duty. He accompanied his
command back to England, where he resided until he sailed for the United
States in the spring of 1868, accompanied by his wife and children.

After six weeks' voyage from Liverpool they landed in New York and
proceeded to Ontario, locating at St. Mary's, Canada, where they lived for two
years. There Mr. Green followed the wheelwright's trade in the employ of
the McCormick Threshing Machine Company. Later he removed to London,
Canada, where he entered the services of the Great Western Railroad Company
as foreman carpenter. After spending two years there he removed to Rochester,
New York, where he was in charge of the works of the Pullman Car Company
for the New York Central, the Michigan Central and the Great Western
Railroad Companies. Subsequently he was sent to Niagara Falls by the Great
Western, but on arriving there wa.- di.ssatisfied with the outlook and removed
to Dallas, Texas, where he engaged in various lines of business for five years.
Going to Willis Point, Texas, he returned thence northward to Springfield,
Missouri, where he entered the employ of the Fort Scott Railroad now a part
of the Frisco svstem.



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 423

About 1881 Mr. Green removed with his family to Kansas City estab-
lishing his home on Flora street, near the old fair grounds. The removal
had been made by wagon and during the first night they camped on the
fair grounds while the father searched for a house into which he might move
his family. Eventually he built a frame dwelling at No. 2122 Penn avenue
and some years later erected a brick residence on this site. There Mr. Green
continued to reside until he went to live with his son-in-law at No. 120 East
Thirty-fourth street. He afterward bought a farm, where he lived for seven
years but ten years ago he retired from active business life and has since
spent his days in the enjoyment of well earned rest.

In the place of his nativity Mr. Green was married on the 31st of July,
1857, to Miss Susanna Beardhall, a daughter of William and Mary (Sneath)
Beardhall. The death of Mrs. Green occurred July 17, 1892, and her grave
was made in Paola cemetery. She was a devoted member of the Episcopal
church and a lady of many good traits of heart and mind. The children of
the family were as follow^s: Robert, born in 1862 in East India, married
Mary Carw^ell, of Roseburg, Oregon, and they have two daughters, Esther and
Roberta. He is an engineer and for twenty years has been wdth the Frisco
Railroad. George, who was born in Woolwich garrison, in England, in 1864,
married Lizzie Trigger and is employed by the Frisco Railroad while he
makes his home at Springfield, Missouri. Clara, born at Musboro, Yorkshire,
England, in 1866, is the wife of Thoma.s Brow^n of Kansas City. Ada, born
at Heanor, Derbyshire, England, June 23, 1868, was married April 25, 1892,
to George L. Wallace whose birth occurred at New Castle, Pennsylvania, May
28, 1868, and was educated at Neola and Des Moines, Iowa. He w^as six years
of age when his parents removed to Keokuk, Iowa. His student life ended at
the age of eighteen years, after which he engaged in teaching in western
Kansas for a year and a half. He then entered the employ of the Standard
Oil Company, w^hich he represented at Des Moines, Omaha and Kansas City.
Coming to this city about 1900, he afterward entered the employ of Pratt &