Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 47 of 65)
Online LibraryCarrie Westlake WhitneyKansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) → online text (page 47 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of Mr. Brown and Miss Isabella Orr, a daughter of Andrew Orr, a carpenter
and builder of that city. She was a native of Cincinnati, but her parents
were of Scotch lineage and on leaving Glasgow became residents of Canada,
whence they removed to Cincinnati a year or two prior to the birth of their




WILLIAM J. BROAVN, SR.



•- .^ l^-^I YORK
1 '; 3 JC LIBRARY




HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 489

daughter, Mrs. Brown. She has always been active in club circles in the
city and when the Merchants and Manufacturers Association was formed she
joined the ladies' auxiliary of that organization and took a most helpful
interest in its work. She has been a member of the Kansas City Athenseum
for many years and has served as a director of both clubs. She is likewise a
member of the Young Women's Christian Association. Unto Mr. and Mrs.
Brown were born two children: William J., now^ twenty years of age, who is
at the head of the hat business established by the father; and Irene Isabella,
eighteen years of age.

The death of Mr. Brown occurred March 20, 1906. He had built up an
excellent busine-ss and not only left to his family an attractive home at No.
3122 Park avenue but also property and invested interests w^hich return to
them a gratifying annual income. In politics he was a stanch republican
and took a lively interest in the party through patriotic motives, never having
any desire f^r political preferment. He was a thirty-second degree Mason and
a member of the Mystic Shrine. He several times held the office of archon
in the organization of Heptasophs and was a Modern Woodman. He mani-
fested the same contagious enthusiasm in his fraternal relations as in his
business, for he never became connected with any movement which did not
profit by his labors. He influenced most of his employes to join the Hepta-
sophs, of which order he was chief executive and in many ways he helped
those who served him, both in an advisory capacity and in other ways.
There was nothing of the overbearing taskmaster in him. On the
contrary he realized as few men have done the obligation which the employer
owes to those who serve him. He made them feel that he had a friendly
regard for them and an interest in their welfare and he was most fondly loved
and respected by all in his employ. Mr. Brown belonged to the Kansas City
Athletic Club, but cared little for social life, but had on the contrary the
utmost devotion for his friends and family, holding these ties at all times
inviolable.



J. H. BURTON.



J. H. Burton was born within the shadows of the Green Mountains, on
a farm, in the valley of the Battenkill, near Manchester, Bennington county,
Vermont, March 12, 1831. He was the son of Chauncey and Emily Maria
(Clark) Burton, both natives of A^ermont.

In 1833 his parents moved to western New York and settled on a farm
in the valley of the Genesee river, near the village of Portage, in Wyoming
county. There the fathe.r remained for six years, when he again sold the
home and removed to Illinois, making the change with his own conveyance,
except a steamer passage across Lake Erie, and reaching his objective point,
the Rock River A^alley, in the fall of 1839, at a hamlet in Winnebago county,
where lie purchased a half section of land and once more organized a home.
The years that followed were uneventful to the subject of this sketch until
the fall of 1846. Avhen his father's death changed his environment. In the



490 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

spring of 1848 he returned to his native, village to attend Burr Seminary,
where he remained for two years, returning to Rockford in 1850, and in its
vicinity he engaged in teaching. In the spring of 1852, as bookkeeper, he
entered the employ of Messrs. Perce & Keith, railroad contractors, who Avere
building that portion of the Chicago & Galena Railroad leading from Bel-
videre to Rockford, Illinois, and remained in the employ of different railroad
contractors until 1854. Tiring of railroad work, he married Miss Alice Mc-
Comsey, a resident of Dixon, Illinois, and a native of that state, and pur-
chased a fourth interest in a mercantile firm at Dixon, Illinois, doing a large
business until 1857, when the panic of that year brought disaster to the entire
west, and with hundreds of others his firm turned their business and posses-
sions over to an assignee. After the failure of his merchandising he engaged
in the abstract business, writing up books at Dixon for Lee county.

j\lr. Burton was descended from an old line whig ancestry and cast his
maiden vote for General Scott, whose defeat disrupted the whig party, and
tlip all important '^slavery question" built the present republican party on
its ruins, to which he gave allegiance and carried a torch for its first nominee,
General John C. Fremont. He listened to the joint debate of Stephen A.
Douglas and Abraham Lincoln in their senatorial campaign and thing his
hat as high as any, in the wigwam at Chicago, when Lincoln became the
nominee of the republican party for the presidency. In September, 1861, in
answer to the president's call for three hundred thousand more, leaving a
wife and three children, he enlisted as state militia, subject to assignment to
the United States artillery service, and during the months of September
and October, in conjunction with Major John T. Cheney, he recruited a com-
pany large enough to man a four-gun battery, which organized as Cheney's
Battery, with John T. Cheney as captain and J. H. Burton as senior first
lieutenant.

In November the company was ordered into camp at Springfield, Illinois,
where it became Battery F of the First Illinois Light Artillery. In the fol-
lowing March his company was transferred to Benton Barracks at St. Louis,
Missouri, and drew its equipment during the first part of April, boarding a
steamer for Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee, and reaching there the next day
after the battle.. There Captain Cheney was granted leave of absence on ac-
count of sickness and the command devolved upon Lieutenant Burton. His
command was attached to the division commanded by General Lew Wallace
and witli him advanced on Corinth and thence acro.'is the state of Te.nnessee
for the capture of Memphis, in which he was anticipated by the gun boats.
At Memphis, Lieutenant Burton, luiving a civil engineer in his command,
was detailed to lay out and build extensive fortifications, which with the aid
of contrabands he did and it was named Fort Pickering. During the sum-
mer of 18()2 lie and his command participated in an attempt to capture Gen-
eral Forest and his cavalrv but without success, and in November the Ai-niy
of the Te.nnessee moved south overland for the capture of ^^icksburg but the
movement was defeated by the destructinn of General Sherman's base of sup-
plies al Holly Springs, Mississippi, and the army retnrned to Grand Junction,



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 491

Tennessee, and we,nt into winter quarters. There, Captain Cheney having
returned to his command, Lieutenant Burton was detailed as acting ordnance
ofhcer for the division on the staff of General Denver.

In the spring of 1863 the division, under the command of General Wil-
liam Sooy Smith, was assigned to what was called an "expeditionary corps"
and Lieutenant Burton, still acting ordnance officer, moved with the division
down the Mississippi to the Yazoo river and up the Yazoo to Haines Bluff,
where the force disembarking became a protecting force for the right and
rear of General Grant's main army, then investing Vicksburg. On July 4,
1863, Vicksburg surrendered and immediately the force under General Sher-
man, of which the Fourth Division formed a part, started for the capture
or defeat of General Johnston, who had gathered a force for the relief of
Vicksburg. As Sherman advanced Johnston retired, until within his fortifi-
cations at Jackson, Mississippi. There was more or less fighting until about
the 17th, when Johnston evacuated the city and the Army of the Tennessee
returned and went into summer quarters at the Big Black river, in the rear
of Vicksburg.

About September 20th the army moved by rail to Vicksburg and by
boat up the Mississippi and, disembarking at Memphis, it rested in Fort Pick-
ering until about October 11th, whe.n it took up its line of march for Chatta-
nooga, Tennessee. Crossing the Cumberland mountaiiis near Decherd, Ten-
nessee, it pontooned across the Tennessee river at Bridgeport, Alabama, and
climbing Sand mountain debouched into Lookout Valley, reaching Trenton
about the 20th, where Lieutant Burton was relieved as division ordnance of-
ficer and detailed to the command of Battery I of the First Regiment of
Illinois Light Artillery. While commanding Battery I he participated in
the battle of Missionary Ridge, following which the army went into winter
quarters at Bridgeport and Lieutenant Burton was detailed home on recruit-
ing service. About the middle of April, 1864, Lieutenant Burton, having
been promoted to the captaincy of his battery, joined his command at
Stephenson, Alabama, with a large number of recruits, bringing his com-
mand to its maximum strength of one hundred and fifty-six men and en-
titling him to six guns, with which he was supplied. On May 1, 1864, Cap-
tain Burton's Battery, attached to the Fourth Division of the Fifteenth Army
Corps, moved with the Army of the Tennessee by the way of Chattanooga
and Crawfish Springs, through Snake Creek Gap, and fought the battle of
Resaca, flanking the Confederat&s out of Buzzard's Roost, where they were
strongly fortified. Johnston retired and Sherman pursued, through Kings-
ton and Cassville, until on the 26th his fortifications were encountered at
Dallas. Along this line the fighting was continuous until about the 20th
of June and Johnston was crowded back to Kenesaw Mountain, where he
again made a stand and Battery F was again under fire.

On July 3 Johnston fell back to the Chattahoochee river, closely pur-
sued. On July 13th the Ffteenth Corps moved up the river about sixteen
miles to Roswell, where a bridge had escaped destruction and, crossing, by
the 18th was astride the Augusta Railroad, reaching Decatur, about seven
miles east of Atlanta, that afternoon. On the 20th Battery F, with a force



492 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

of infantry to support it. was sent to the left to an open field, with orders
to open fire and develop the position of the enemy, which it succeeded in
doing with the loss of several man and horses. During the 2Ist it was en-
gaged almost continuously, and participated in the heavy battle of the 'I'ld,
on the left in front of Atlanta, losing men and horses, and its whole line of
caissons, captured. On the 28th it participated in a battle on the right in
front of Atlanta, and about this time Captain Burton became chief of artillery
for the Fourth Division. Withdrawing from the investment of Atlanta, the
army struck the Macon Railroad, destroying it to Jonesboro, where Flardee's
Confederate Corps was defeated, in which battle Captain Burton's Battery
participated. The destruction of the Macon Railroad rendered it impossible
to supply Atlanta and Hood evacuated the city, and on September 6th Cap-
tain Burton's Battery went into camp at East Point, a station near Atlanta.

There Captain Burton was relieved of his connnand as chief of artillery
and resumed command of his own battery. Battery F had suffered so many
losses in animals as to unfit it for entering another campaign without re-
fitting and as General Sherman was preparing for his march to the sea, all
di.sablcd batteries were ordered to Nashville to refit, where it arrived on No-
vember 12th and was assigned a position on the fortifications. At that place
Captain Burton was detailed to the command of eight hundred me.n, to pro-
ceed up the Cumberland river and provide material for housing the animals
at the Post for the winter, which he partially accomplished and barely suc-
ceeded in regaining the Federal lines before the Confederates under General
Hood invested the city. Captain Burton w^as on the field at the Ijattle of
Nashville but his battery was not actively engaged. The following March,
its term of service having expired, he brought his company back to Si^ring-
fie.ld, Illinois, and was mustered out on March 15, 1865.

He returned to Dixon and resumed the abstract business, which he left
in 1861, and prosecuted it until 1867, when he sold it and removed to Chi-
cago, Illinois, where he took a position in the abstract office of Messrs. Jones
& Sellers. He continued in the abstract business in Chicago until the fall of
1889, when his eyes rebelled at hard usage and, thinking it best to change
his employment, he sold his ])roperty in Dixon and, loading his wagon with
the unsold portion of his household goods and a tent, he started for southern
Kansas, reaching a point in Neosho county about three miles ea.st of Thayer,
where he entered one hundred and sixty acres of land, built a house, ]:»lanted
an orchard and in the following spring put in a crop of wheat. The jn-omise
of a wheat crop was fine until it was about ready to harvest, when the ''chinch
bug" harvested it and flew away with the crop.

There was a demand for freighters to the Osage Agency in the Indian
Tcrritni'v and. as rea<ly money bad become a necessity, Mr. l^urton engaged
ill that pursuit but after a few trips placed drivers on his two wagon- and
to:»k a i)osition himself as l)ookkeeper wifli the firm of Hyatt & Company,
traders at the Agency. In the fall of 1871 he took a trading outfit with the
Indians on their ;uinnal hunt to the little -alt plains and. returning witli
iheiii in the -pring. he severed his connection with the agency and relnnied
to his family, tlien living in Independence. Kansas, on property for which



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 493

lie had exchanged his farm. On account of sickne^is in the family, by the
advice of a |)hysician, he sent the family to the old home in Dixon and after
dii^ijosing of his surplus horses and other personalities he mounted a valuable
mare, on which he entered Kansas Citv about the middle of October, 1872.
He found immediate employment in the abstract othce of E. H. Webster
& Company and in ^lay following his family joined him. In the meantime
Mr. Durbin Rice had become sole owner of the abstract business and about
1875, becoming involved in some real-estate disasters, his abstract books were
sold by the sheriff and Mr. Burton became the purchaser. He continued
in the abstract business in Kansas City until 1886, when he sold his business
and became a member of the Industrial Iron Works, a machine shop and
foundry business that he had inaugurated for his son the preceding year.
He conducted the office end of this enterprise, working one hundred and
twenty-five men and building a manufacturing plant of five large buildings
just west of Armourdale, Kansas, at Eighteenth street and the Muncy road,
until 1859, when the contraction following the "boom" compelled the use of
more capital than the firm could command and it was placed in the hands
of a receiver. Since 1889 Mr. Burton has been in the employ of others,
when he withdrew from active business.



WILLI a:\i t. sxead.

William T. Snead in a well spent life displayed that adjustment to cir-
cumstances and conditions which Ls so necessary as a factor in business suc-
cess. He was a native of Lynchburg, Virginia, born Februarj" 5, 1849.
His parents were Ilolman and Susan C. (Austin) Snead, the latter of a very
prominent pioneer family of Carrollton, Missouri. Holman Snead was a
native of Virginia, and for many years was landlord of a hotel in Lynch-
burg, remaining there until 1887, when he removed to Carrollton, Missouri,
but was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, his death occurring there
the same year. His widow afterward made her home with her son AVilliam,
and passed away in Paris, Texas.

William T. Snead acquired a public-school education in his native town,
and during the period of the Civil war, or about 1863, while living in Vir-
ginia, he enlisted for military service when Ijut fifteen years of age and joined
General Hood's Brigade. He served for nearly two years or during the
latter part of the war and sustaining a slight wound Avas discharged on ac-
count of his injuries. After the removal of the family to Carrollton, Mis-
souri, in 1867, he entered, upon his business career, securing a clerkship in
a store. He was employed in that way and in other work until 1876. In
that year he wedded Miss Sarah E. Price, a native of Carrollton, ^Missouri,
and a daughter of William C. and Sarah (Austin) Price, her mother having
been the sister of Mrs. Susan C. Snead; Her father Avas a native of Virginia
and had extensive landed interests and many slaves there. In his old age
he came to Kansas City, making his home with his daughter, Mrs. Snead,



494 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

until his death in May, 1905. His wife died during the early childhood
of their daughter. ^Ir. and Mrs. Snead have but one child, Mrs. Ernestine
Gordon, who now makes her home with her mother and has one son, George
L. Gordon.

Following his marriage Mr. Snead removed from Carrollton to Dallas,
Texas, where he met a Mr. Campbell, an old friend, from Virginia. There
in Dallas they engaged in the express business together for several years,
after which Mr. Snead removed to Paris, Texas, where he established a grocery
store, which he conducted for ten years. He was in ill health for some time
while in Paris and because of this he sold out his business in 1894 and went to
Denver, hoping to be benefited thereby. He died there six weeks later, passing
away on the 13th of March, 1894.

In politics Mr. Snead was a democrat, interested in the growth of the
party and its success and assisted to some extent in the party work but was
never a politician in the sense of office seeking. He belonged to the Masonic
Lodge at Carrollton, Missouri, and to the Knights of Honor at Paris, Texas.
To his family he was devoted, counting no personal sacrifice or efi^ort on his
part too great if it would promote the welfare and happiness of his wife and
children. His death therefore w^as the occasion of the deepest sorrow and
many friends beside his wife and daughter mourn his loss.

Following her husband's death, Mrs. Snead returned to her old home
in Carrollton, Missouri, Avhere she resided for a brief period and then came to
Kansas City in 1896. Here she purchased a residence on Troost avenue,
just north of where she is now living and a few years later she further in-
vested in property here, including her present home at No. 2224 Troost
avenue, where she and her daughter now reside. She has gained many
friends here, her good qualities of heart and mind winning her the regard
of those with whom she comes in contact. She is a member of the Second
Church of Christian Scientists in Kansas Citv.



WILLIAM EZRA CAMPBELL.

William Ezra Campbell, assistant general manager of the Mitchell Dry
Goods Company, is numbered among those w^ho through the inherent force
of his character and his utilization of opportunities has gained recognition
as one of the representative and successful young business men of Kansas
City. His life record began at Forest City, Minnesota, November 26, 1868.

His father, Edward A. Campbell, a lawyer, born in Philadelphia re-
moved from Pennsylvania to Minnesota in the early '40s in company with
his parents. His father was a native of Limavady, in the north of Ire-
land. The family became pioneers of Minnesota and he was closely
associated with its early progress and upbuilding. At the time of the Civil
war he joined tlic Union army and participated in the Indian warfare
brought about by the uprising of the red men in that part of the state. He
and his father-in-laAv, Jesse A\ Brnnham. were foremast in forming a com-




W. E. CAMPBELL.



I . i.^V7 '-'uRK

jd.JC LIBRARY



ASTOR, LENOX
IILDCN FGUKBATIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 497

pany and suppressing the hostility of the savages. After the Civil war
Edward A. Campbell entered into merchandising at Forest City and later
removed to Litchfield, Minnesota, where he studied law. Eventually he
entered upon active practice and while there served as prosecuting attorney.
In 1883 he removed to Minneapolis, where he engaged in practice until his
death about twelve years ago, becoming recognized as one of the leaders in
his profession in that city. He married Miss Sarah Branham, whose father
was among the first to establish his home upon the frontier of Minnesota.
The Branhams were of an old Virginian family whose ancestors were May-
flower passengers.

William Ezra Campbell is the eldest of a family of whom seven survive.
He has one brother, Frank A., who is at the head of the Wholesalers Adjust-
ment Company, of Kansas City.

William E. Campbell spent his boyhood at Litchfield, Minnesota, to the
age of fifteen years and acquired his education in the public schools there.
He afterward accompanied the family on their removal to Minneapolis and
entered the law office of his father, where he did clerical work while attend-
ing the night law school of the Minnesota University. He did not finish the
course, however, but a month before the time of graduation left school to
accept the position of deputy United States marshal under his uncle, Hon.
William M. Campbell, who was United States marshal for the district of
Minnesota and Dakota. He filled that position for about two years and then
reentered his father's office, continuing there until the father's death in 1894.
William E. Campbell then went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he entered the
employ of B. Nugent & Brother, owners of one of the large department stores
of that city. He filled various positions with that house, the last two years
being manager of the advertising department. He was with the firm for eight
years, but left the company about four years ago and accepted a similar posi-
tion Avith the jewelry firm of Mermod, Jaccard & King, vnth which he con-
tinued for two years when he became acquainted with C. E. Mitchell, president
and general manager of the Mitchell Dry Goods Company, of Kansas City.
He then entered Mr. Mitchell's employ as manager of the advertising and
mail order departments and about a year ago was promoted to assistant gen-
eral manager, which is his present business connection and one which gives
him a good outlook. He has also continued in charge of the advertising and
mail order departments. He has devoted his attention exclusively to the
business with excellent results in building up a large trade with excellent
prospects for future growth and development.

Mr. Campbell has been very active in the Kansas City Advertising Club.
He was also one of the charter members of the St. Louis Advertising Men's
League and was chairman of the committee which wrote its charter, consti-
tution and by-laws and became its vice president. When the Kansas City
Advertising Club was organized a little more than two years ago he was one of
several who came from St. Louis to attend their initial dinner at the Coates
House. A few months later, when he located here, he joined the club and at
the following election was chosen first vice president and served for one year
and a vear as a member of the executive committee, at the last election of



498 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

officer^ he was a^aiii elected tir.-^t vice president, he lia- always taken a
lively interest in its work and the promotion of it> object. He be-
lieves Kansas City is destined to be one of the greatest cities of the United
States and the most important metropolitan center of the west and is
working to this end. putting forth every effort in his power to promote its
interests and substantial growth. The Advertising Club secured the conven-
tion of the national organization of advertising clubs, wdiich met in Kansas
City in August. 1908. He believes that through this convention the city
will become known and reap great benefits. Mr. Campbell served on the
finance committee, raising funds to entertain the national association, which
is composed of about one thou.sand wide-awake, enterprising, determined and
energetic business men, representing the commercial and trade interests of
the entire country from New York to San Francisco and from New Orleans
to the Twin Cities of Minnesota.

At St. Louis, Missouri, Mr. Campbell was married to Miss Bertha Hollis,
a native of Martinsburg, West Mrginia, and they have two children : Ed-
ward A., named in honor of his grandfather and now eleven years of age;
and Robert F., nine years of age. Mr. Campbell is a communicant of the



Online LibraryCarrie Westlake WhitneyKansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) → online text (page 47 of 65)