Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 48 of 65)
Online LibraryCarrie Westlake WhitneyKansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) → online text (page 48 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Catholic church and a member of the Catholic order of the Knights of Co-
lumbus. He is a gentleman of strong character, possessing that dignity which
is always a feature of the business man who realizes his responsibilities and
his opportunities. He possesses an aggressive spirit and excellent executive
ability.



JOHN HURST TAYLOR YOST.

John Hurst Taylor Y^ost, one of the best known of the old residents of
Kansas City, was born in ]\Iadison, Lidiana, July 22, 1833. His father,
Charles Yost, a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was a son of John
Yost, a native of Germanv and the founder of the familv in America. Bv
trade he was a brick and stone mason, and following his arrival in the new
world he became connected witli building operations in Philadelphia, where
both he and his wife spent their remaining days. Their children were
Thomas, Isaac, Jesse, Charles, John and a daughter.

(Charles Yost learned \ho stone and l)i-iek mason trade with his father
and went to Madison, Indiana, or rather to the present site of that city. The
year of his arrival was 181(5, and he was one of the first settlers of the local-
ity. Indiana was still under territorial government, and great districts of
the state wei'e uiiiiii|ii'ov((l. ii(» while men haxiiig penetrated into the wilder-
ness, which were still the hunting gronnd of the red race. Charles Yost be-
came closely associated with the eaily development and progress of the local-
ity in which he made his home, and followed hi< trade there for a nunilx^'
of years, but eventually removed to Galena, Illinois. In early manhood he
wedded Sarah Staton, formerly of Lexington, Kentucky, who was of Irish
descent in the paternal line and of Scotch lineage in the maternal line.
After the discovery of gold in C^ilifornia. Charles Yost and his wife and



HISTORY OF KxVNSAS CITY 499

llifir tliree sons joined a party of forty-niner< at Galena, Illinois, and started
for the far west, making the journey in a Conestoga wagon drawn by oxen.
They also drove cows along and sometimes worked them in the wagon. They
were five months in crossing the plains with a train numbering one hundred
and twenty wagons, and on two different occasions they were attacked by
Indians. They also suffered many other hardships incident to the long
journey across the stretches of hot sand and through the mountain passes,
but eventually reachlad what was then called Hangtown, but is now Placer-
ville, California. On reaching his destination Mr. Yost began prospecting,
and there remained for seven years, being in the state at the time of its ad-
mission to the Union. Unlike the great majority of emigrants who jour-
neyed across the plains, he was successful in the far west, acquiring a goodly
competence there. He made the return trip by way of the Isthmus of Panama
and New York, and from the eastern metropolis journeyed westward to Mad-
ison, Indiana, where he purchased a large tract of land, the greater part of
which Avas covered with timber. This he cleared away and continued the
work of developing his farm up to the time of his death, wdiich occurred in
1872, when he was about eighty years of age. His wife died in the same
locality when seventy-nine years of age. She was a Presbyterian in religious
faith in early life, but both Mr. and Mrs. Charles Yost held membership in
the Christian church at the time of their demise. Plis political allegiance was
given to the whig party until its dissolution, and he afterward joined the re-
publican party. He filled various offices in Madison and was a most respected
and honored resident there. His children were three in number: John H.
T. ; Charles, who was a stone mason and married Lou Dunn, and died in
Madison, Indiana; and Joseph L. W., who became a physician. He was
twice married and passed away in Mitchell, Indiana.

John H. T. Yost pursued his early education in a log schoolhouse such
as was common in pioneer times. His youth was largely a period of earnest
and unremitting toil, for he assisted his father in the arduous task of clear-
ing aw^ay the trees and converting the wild land into cultivable fields. He
continued at home until his marriage, which was celebrated on the 4th of
March, 1858. For a half century he and his wife have traveled life's jour-
ney together, sharing with each other its joys and sorrows, its adversity and
prosperity, and on the 4th of March, 1908, together with many friends and
relatives, they celebrated their golden wedding. For seven years they re-
sided in Indianapolis, and there Mr. Yost completed his trade of a stone-
mason. During that period, however, he put aside all personal and business
interests that he might aid his country in the preservation of the Union, en-
listing on the 24th of September, 1861, for three years' .service. He became
a member of Company F, Sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under Cap-
tain Glasgow and Colonel T. T. Crittenden. The regiment made such a
splendid record for valor, loyalty and fearlessness that it was called "The Old
Bloody Sixth." Mr. Yost was with his command in all of its engagements,
and with a most creditable military record returned home. The regiment
was assigned to the Army of the Potomac and participated in thirty-six dif-
ferent engagements. When the v,^ar was ended Mr. Yost returned home,



5UU HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

aild soon afterward removed to Fort Scott, Kansas, where he followed the
mason's trade. In 1872 he arrived in Kansas City and continued in the
same line of business, becoming a contractor here and erecting many of the
large buildings, including the Savoy Hotel, the Jefferson and Karnes schools
and the Cumberland Presbyterian church. His business interests were of
an important character and brought him a gratifying competence, which now
enables him largely to live retired.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Yost were born a son and daughter. The former,
Charles C, of the Smith-Yost Pie Company, married Miss Hattie Beedle,
and they have six children: Arthur LeRoy, who married Anna Sandbrook;
Roxanna Pearl, who wedded Orrin Dietrich ; Charles V. ; Joseph ; Harriet
Janet ; and Nin^a C. The daughter, Minnie G., is now the Avidow of Med-
ford D. DeVasher and has one child, Estelle, who is the wife of Milton H.
Donville and the mother of one daughter, Dorothy D.

Mr. Yost is a stalwart republican and has served the city as deputy
assessor. He belongs to the Benton Boulevard Baptist church, of which his
wife is also a member, and in the city where they have now lived for more
than a third of a century they have many warm friends. At all times and
under all circumstances Mr. Yost has been as loyal to the interest.-? of his
fonntry as when he followed the old flag upon southern battle-fields, making
a most creditable military record and one which classes him with those to
whom the country owes a debt of gratitude that she can never pay.



GEORGE HOFFMANN.

George Hoffmann, a real-estate agent, whose business enterprise has been
an element in Kansas City's growth and improvement, came to Missouri in
1880 and has since resided here. He was born October 17, 1855, in Wheel-
ing, West ^^irginia, and was therfore a young man' of twenty-five years when
he arrived in Kansas City. Three years later he formed a partnership with
Evan A. Fusscll, undei- the firm style of Iloft'mann A: Fussell, general real-
estate agents. In cooperation with a luunber of enterprising and prominent
capitalists he has taken an important part in developing Kansas City through
building operations and through real-estate activity. He has been instru-
mental in laying out various additions. The original firm with which he was
connected ceased to have an existence in 1893, after wliich ]\Ir. Hoffmann was
alone mitil 190?). when the IIoffiiiann-Cf)wan Real E>tat(> Company was
formed. Under this business style he now operates, conducting an extensive
business as a real-estate dealer.

Mr. Hoffmann is an influential and forceful factor in political circles,
and in 1904 was elected to the upper house of the city council. Two years
later he was chosen to the pr&sidency of the body and al<i) of the board of
public works. He has exercised liis official prerogatives in support of many
j>rogressive public movements, which have been beneficial factors in promot-
ing the city's welfare and upbuilding dni'ing the ]iast four years. He does



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 501

important work on committees as one of th-e busy men of the council and a
firm supporter of the administration. His political allegiance is given to the
republican party, but he belongs to that type of representative and patriotic
citizens who place the general good before partisanship and municipal wel-
fare before j^ersonal aggrandizement. In manner he is rather quiet and re-
served, but is a deep thinker and is recognized as a man of action rather than
of theory. In everything he has been eminently practical, and this has been
manifest not only in his busine&s undertakings, but also in private life and
political circles. He has ever discharged his duties with marked ability and
fairness, and as a businass man he has been conspicuous among his asso-
ciates not only for his success, but for his probity and honorable methods.



PHILIP J. HENN.



Philip J. Henn, now deceased, became a resident of Kansas City in 1866,
and in the course of years became the owner of valuable property as the re-
sult of his investment at an early day of about ten thousand dollars. In the
course of years this property appreciated until at the time of his demise his
realty holdings were valued at about two hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
In his investment and management of his property interests, Mr. Henn dis-
played one of his salient characteristics — a keen discernment which enabled
him ever to carefully manage his business affairs. He was born in Germany,
on the Rhine, in 1835, and after spending eighteen years of his life in the
fatherland came to America, making his way to Hamilton county, Ohio.
There in 1855, he engaged in the barber business, which he conducted until
1859. The following year he turned his attention to merchandising and
was proprietor of a store in Hamilton until 1866, when he sold out.

In 1859 Mr. Henn had returned to New York city and there married
Miss Margaret Bescher, who was born in the same part of Germany where
his birth occurred. He then took his bride to Ohio, where they resided
until 1866, when they removed to Kansas City. In the meantime he had
prospered in his undertakings and brought Avith him to the west a capital
of about ten thousand dollars. This he invested in property here, and that
his purchases were most wisely made is indicated by the fact that at the
time of his death his estate was valued at about two hundred and fifty thou-
sand dollars. He purchased a lot at No. 1309-1311 Grand avenue, believing
that it would be the business part of the town at some future time. Others,
however, laughed at him and could not understand why he "went so far out
of town." He bought the land for ten dollars per foot and today it is worth
eighteen hundred a front foot. Upon the tract he built a large store building
with living rooms above and there he spent his remaining days.

In the store he opened a stock of groceries and for forty-two years the
business has been continued under the ownership of Philip J. Henn
and his sons and is still being conducted by the sons. Reasonable prices,
earnest desire to please his customers and most honorable methods in trade



502 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

brought to ^Ir. Henn a liberal and growing i3atronage. Aside from this,
he also invested in other property in Kansas City and from the beginning
of his residence here was an active spirit in public progress and development.
In 1870 he became a director of the old German Banking Association. He
figured prominentlj^ in many interests affecting the general Avelfare and in
1870 was elected a member of the city council from the second ward at a
time when the municipal division embraced but four wards. He served
as one of the city fathers under the mayoralty administration of Mr. McGee
and Major Warren. He was always a stalwart democrat, unfaltering in his
allegiance to the party, and upon its ticket Avas elected county judge in 1890,
serving for four years. He possessed a mind of singular precision and power
■ — in a marked degree a judicial mind capable of an impartial view of both
sides of a question and of arriving at a just conclusion.

Mr. Henn aided in the erection of the German Catholic church at Ninth
and McGee streets and always attended the services there. He was a member
of a number of German societies and charitable organizations and gave freely
of his means to aid those who needed a.ssistance. His life was indeed a busv,
active, useful and honorable one, and Kansas City mourned the loss of one of
its representative and prominent citizens when on the 18th of August, 1908,
he passed away. His wife survived until January, 1908, when she too Avas
called to her final rest. They were the parents of five children : Henry, Peter,
Clara, Mary and Anna. Clara is the wife of Fred Kast, Avhile the other mem-
bers of the family all live together in a new home which has been purchased
by them at No. 3130 Brooklyn avenue.



]\IATTHEW L. KINLEN.



Matthew L. Kinlen, Avho during the latter part of his life was identified
with industrial interests in Kansas City as a contractor, Avas born in Danville,
Pennsylvania, June 13, 1858, his parents being James and Mary (McCor-
mick) Kinlen. The father AA^as a farmer by occupation and devoted his life
to general agricultural pursuits. Both he and his Avife passed aA\'ay in Dan-
ville, Pennsylvania.

In the home schools Matthew L. Kinlen pursued his early education
and afterward attended college in Ohio, preparing for a practical business
career by taking up the study of civil engineering. On the completion of
his course he located in Kansas City and began following his profession in
connection Avith the old Ninth street cable line. He Avorked Avith the city
and county engineering force for a short time and afterAvard engaged in busi-
ness for himself in scAvcr contracting. He carried through some extensiA^e
contracts, both here and outside of the city, and gained an enviable reputa-
tion for expert skill and reliability, dcA'oting the later years of his life to
contract Avork.

Mr. Kinlen AA'as married in Kansas City by Bi.shop Lillis, then pastor of
St. Patrick's church, on the 28th of April,' 1891. to Miss Elizabeth Carroll,




MATTHEW L KIXLEN.



- .V/ YORK

. LIBRARY



!A<5TOR. LENOX
I! d;:.n FO'Tr: nations



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 505

of Kansas City, a daughter of Roger Carroll, avIio was born in County Queens,
Ireland, August 18, 1822, and Avas a son of Daniel Carroll, a farmer of that
country. Roger Carroll was married in Canada to jNliss Mary Corrigan, a sister
of Bernard Corrigan, of Kansas City. As a young man Mr. Carroll emigrated
to the United States, settling near Malone, New York. He did railroad con-
tract work for a time and then turned his attention to farming. In 1865
he removed to Harrison county, Iowa, where he carried on general agri-
cultural pursuits and stock-raising. For the past five years he has made his
home with his daughter, Mrs. Kinlen, his wife having passed away in Kansas
City in 1893. Mrs. Kinlen was one of a family of thirteen children. She
still survives her husband and is w^ell known in Kansas City, where she has
many friends. Here the death of Mr. Kinlen occurred at the home which he
had erected at No. 3312 Flora street in 1901. He was a member of St. Vin-
cent's Catholic church and faithful to its teachings. In manner he was kind
and charitable, liberal in thought and generous in purpose. His political
allegiance was given to the democracy and he was active in political circles
to the extent of working for the interests of his party, yet never sought nor
desired office for himself. His service was a freewill offering because of his
desire that the best interests of the city should be promoted.



JOHN CAVANAUGH.

John Cavanaugh, deceased, was born upon a farm in County Wexford,
Ireland. The common schools afforded him his educational privileges and
he was reared as a farm boy who assists in the labor of the fields from the
time of early spring planting until the crops reach fruition in the harvests.
He came to the United States when eighteen years of age, hoping that he
might enjoy better business chances in the new world. His parents had
died when he was young and his elder brother, who inherited the old home,
gave him enough money to bring him to America. He, however, landed at
Quebec without capital, facing the situation of securing immediate employ-
ment or suffering for want of the necessities and comforts of life. He posses-
sed energy and determination, however, and upon those qualities builded his
later success. From Quebec he went to Brantford, Canada, and his industry
and enterprise enabled him to secure profitable employment. There in 1854
he was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Dunn. Carefully saving his
money, he was at length enabled to purchase one hundred acres of land and
after cultivating and developing his farm he eventually sold it for one hun-
dred dollars per acre. When he had disposed of that property he removed to
Stratford, Canada, where he invested in a farm of three hundred acres, which
he owned until after his removal to Missouri, when he sold out for one hun-
dred dollars per acre.

On coming to the middle west Mr. Cavanaugh first located at Indepen-
dence. Kansas, where he purchased five hundred acres of land, there carrying
on general agricultural pursuits for a number of years or until his removal



50(3 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

to Kansas City, Missouri. His remaining days were here passed and he en-
joyed the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact during
the years of his residence here. While living in Canada he filled the office
of councilman at Stratford for eleven years and at all times was loyal to-
his public duties. His political allegiance in the United States was given to
the democratic party but while he kept well informed on the questions and
issues of the day he never sought nor desired public office. He was a member
of the Catholic church and faithful to its teachings and belief.

His wife was born in the town of Cashel, County Tipperary, Ireland,
and was a daughter of John and Bridget (Lundrigan) Dunn. The father
brought his family to America and settled at Brantford, Canada, where his
remaining days were j)assed. He acquired much property there and was a
respected and influential citizen of the community. Unto jNIr. and Mrs. Cav-
anaugh were born eleven children.

Mr. Cavanaugh was devoted to the welfare and happiness of his family
and counted no effort nor personal sacrifice on his part too great if it would
promote the welfare of his wife and children. His friends, too, found him
ever faithful and loyal and in all relations of life he manifested the traits
of honorable manhood and of upright citizenship.



HENRY C. MORRISON, M. D.

Dr. Henry C. Morrison, for thirty-eight years a resident of Kansas City,
left the impress of his individuality upon the public life of the community
by re.ason of his political and commercial prominence. He was born on a
farm near Towneytown, Carroll county, Maryland, on the Ttli of Septem-
ber, 1843, and was a son of Robert and Lavina (Grimes) Morrison, the for-
mer a farmer by occupation. The years of his boyhood and early manhood
were s])ent in the county of his nativity. He was only seven years old Avhen
his father died and his mother passed away five years later. He remained
upon the home farm up to this time and then went to live with the Sen-
seneys, his mother's people. He followed his public-school course by prep-
aration for the medical profession, studying medicine in Westminster and
also under Dr. John liufiington in New Windsor, Maryland.

He was but eighteen years of age, when in response to the country .-
need, he enlisted as a member of Company A, Twenty-sixth Regiment of
Pennsylvania Militia and went to the south, where he was on active duty
till tlie close of the war. Before he was mustered out ho became as.sistant
surgeon in his regiment and after the close of liostilities, in recognition of
his service with the army, lie was given a degree from a Baltimore medical
college. For a brief j)eriod he engaged in tlie ])racti('e of his profession in
New Windsor, with his former preceptor. Dr. Buflington. bnt thiiddng that
the new and growing west offered a broader field of laljor, lie cainc to Kansa-
City about the year 1869 and here engaged in the practice of nu'dicine for
several years. He then tnnicd his attention lo ih;' (h'ug l)u-ine.<s at ihr



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 507

corner of Twelfth and Locust streets and afterward became proprietor of a
drug store on Main street, between Eleventh and Twelfth. He was quite
suece.?sful in this undertaking and retired from active business in 1892, after
long and honorable connection with the commercial interests of the city.
In his business career he kept abreast with the modern ideas of trade and
commerce and his store was always a most attractive one, by reason of its
tasteful arrangement as w^ell as the fine line of goods which he kept. After
his retirement from active connection with commercial pursuits he continued
as a financial factor in the Factoral Perfume & Chemical Company at 2302
Benton boulevard and was its treasurer.

On the 25th of November, 1886, Dr. Morrison was united in marriage
tc Miss Carrie L. Morrison, at Westville, Indiana. Though of the same name
they were not related. Mrs. IMorrison still survives her husband and resides
at their old home at No. 505 West Sixteenth street.

Aside from his business interests Dr. Morrison figured quite prominently
in political circles of the city. He w^as always a stalwart republican, in-
flexible in his support of the principles of the party, yet never bitterly
aggressive, and he numbered many of his warmest friends among the sup-
porters of the opposition as well as among those who gave him their votes
at the polls. He was twice elected to the city council, serving for one term
during the earlier years of his residence here, while, upon his retirement
from active business in 1892 he was elected to the upper house for a second
term of two years. He exercised his official prerogatives in support of every
measure for the public good and as the years passed he became known as
a citizen of patriotic devotion to the welfare of the community, his life con-
stituting a factor in the success which attended the republican party in his
ward.

He ranked high in Masonic circles, was eminent commander of the
Kansas City Commandery, No. 10, K. T., and for seventeen years was hon-
ored with the office of treasurer. His life exemplified the beneficent spirit
of the craft and was a recognition of the brotherhood of mankind. He was
also a member of the Presbyterian church and an upright, honorable man-
hood won for him the good will, trust and friendship of those with whom
he came in contact, for they learned to know his many excellent qualities
and to admire him for the principles which guided his actions.



ARCHIBALD ALLEN PEARSON.

The extensive wholesale and retail millinery -establishment of Archibald
Allen Pearson is a visible monument of his life of intense and well directed
activity. Without special advantages at the outset of his career, he has made
steady progress in the business world and is today classed with the leading
merchants of Kansas Citv. Born in Lincoln countv, Tennessee, he attended
the country schools there until they were closed on account of the outbreak
of the war. When l)nt ten years of age he had lo.st his father and was reared



508 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

by his maternal grandfather, General William jNIoore, who served as a cap-
tain under General Jackson in the Civil war and was afterward general in
the State Militia of Tennessee. Moore county, with Lynchburg as its county
seat, was named in his honor. At the time of the outbreak of hostilities be-
tween the north and the south James Pearson, a brother of our subject, was a
cadet in the naval school at Annapolis, and resigned to become lieutenant
in the Confederate Army. In 1864 Archibald A. Pearson joined the con-
federate cavalry service under General Forrest and participated in the battle
of Franklin, Tennessee, and many others of less note. He was the youngest



Online LibraryCarrie Westlake WhitneyKansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) → online text (page 48 of 65)