faith. Daniel Ferree was a man of wealth and high position in his native
His Grace, Charles de Ferree, a nobleman of high rank, was the ruler
of the province of Languedoc and other adjoining provinces in southern
France, from 1656 to 1672, during the reign of Louis XIV.
In order to carry out the provisions of the Edict of Nantes, to wholly
extirpate the Reformed religion from the realm, the cruel Dragonades were
sent to Nimes, the town in which Daniel Ferree lived, and were quartered
on him and other Protestant citizens of the place.
Amid all this confusion the Ferrees escaped in the darkness of the night
and fled to Strasburg, whence they went to Lindau in Bavaria. Here Daniel
Ferree died and after his death his widow, Madame Marie Warrimbuer
Ferree, determined to follow the example of their Protestant German breth-
ren and seek a home in the new world, where they might serve the Lord un-
molested by the cruel Inquisitors and brutal Di-agonades.
The head of the family was now Daniel, the eldest son, who was a man
The first step necessary in taking their departure was to secure from the
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
civil authorities a certificate of standing and passport. This was done by
Madame Ferree on behalf of the family. The original document is dated
Bittenheim, March 10, 1708, and is still in the possession of her descendants.
With these documents in hand the party set out for England, in order
to make further arrangements regarding their settlement in America. Upon
their arrival in London, Madame Ferree personally visited William Penn,
to whom she made known her situation, and the next day he introduced her
to Queen Anne, the sovereign of England. The good queen, whose great
kindness of heart had already been shown in her open hand of charity to
thousands of French and German refugees, was likewise deeply moved with
pity at Madame Ferree's misfortunes and promised her substantial aid, which
she in due time rendered.
William Penn covenanted to give her a large tract of land in Pennsyl-
vania, which she obtained upon her settlement in Lancaster county, Pennsyl-
vania. Some of Madame Ferree's descendants to this day occupy a part of
this homestead, which ]\o< nt^ar Lancaster in the beautiful valley of the
Piqua. The warrant to this land is dated October 10. 1710.
The family remained in London about six months. A colony was or-
ganized composed of French and Palatinate refugees from Lindau in Bavaria.
This party, which the Ferrees joined, obtained from the queen a patent of
naturalization and permission to colonize in America. The instrument is
dated August 27, 1708. The party arrived safely in New York and settled
temporarily at Esopus, nearly one hundred miles up the Hudson river, where
thev remained several vears with their Hufruenot friends. ^
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 521
Circumstances at length became favorable and Madame Ferree and her
family departed for Pennsylvania to take possession of their estate.
P^rom the pen of an unknown writer we give an account of the arrival of
the Ferrees in Lancaster county in 1712 (see Rupps History, page 37).
"Tt was an evening of a summer day when the Huguenots reached the
verge of a hill commanding a view of the valley of the Piqna. It was a wood-
land scene, a forest inhabited by wild beasts, for no indication of civilized
life was very near. Scattered along the Piqua, among the dark green hazel,
could be discovered the Indian wigwams, the smoke issuing therefrom in its
spiral form. No sound was heard but the songs of the birds. In silence they
contemplated the beautiful prospect which nature presented to their view.
Suddenly a number of Indians darted from the woods. The females shrieked,
when an Indian advanced, and in broken English said to Madame Ferree:
'Indian no harm white ; white good to Indian ; go to our chief ; come to
Beaver.' Few were the words of the Indians. They went with him to
]5eaver's cabin, who, with the humanity that distinguished the Indian of that
period, gave to the immigrants his wigwam. The next day he introduced
them to Tawana, who lived on the great flats of the Piqua and was chief of
the Conestoga Indians. The friendship formed between the red men of the
forest with the Huguenots on their arrival was maintained for many years,
each giving the other assistance in time of need."
Here this noble woman found a peaceful grave in 1716. Her influence
still lives in the great multitude of her descendants, who belong to the aris-
tocracy of personal worth.
A very large number of Madame Ferree's descendants have attained dis-
tinction in the various walks of life. The mere mention of them would fill
pages. Among them are great scholars, jurists, ministers, statesmen, capital-
ists and soldiers.
No other family in America can show a grander record of service for
the public good. Prominent among them are Colonel John Ferree, com-
mander of the Tenth Pennsylvania Rifles in the New Jersey campaign of the
Revolution, Colonel Joel Ferree and Major Michael Ferree, who com-
manded Pennsylvania regiments in the Revolution.
In the war of 1812 the family was again prominent. Among others was
Colonel Joel Ferree of Allegheny county, w-ho died at Zanesville. Ohio, in
1813 while in active service. In the Civil war a very large number of her
descendants were conspicuous, but we pass them all by but one, whose high
military talents and glorious achievements have not only shed a luster on his
Huguenot ancestry, but covered his memory with nndying glory. That was
Major General John F. Reynolds, commander of the First Army Corps, and
who commanded the left wing of the Union army. His great achievement
at Gettysburg, where he held at bay for many hours. Avith his single corps,
the entire army of the invaders, and the sacrifice of his gallant life in that
mighty struggle constitutes one of the most interesting episodes in our na-
522 HISTORY OF KAJsSAS CITY
Another distinguished member of this family is Admiral Winfield Scott
Schley, the hero of Santiago, whose naval achievement in destroying the
entire Spanish fleet is without a parallel in modern times.
Colonel Ferree inherited the military spirit of hi^ illustrious ancestry,
and has an excellent war record as an officer of the line and also as a staff offi-
cer. During his service in the Civil war he was in many engagements, and
to this day carries in his body two balls as mementos of that great conflict.
He is a companion of the Missouri Commandery of the Military Order of
the Loyal Legion. He was married in 1864 to a daughter of Judge W. G.
Bowdon, of Alabama. Mr. and Mrs. Ferree have no children except an
adopted son and nephew, Cameron L. Evans.
Ferree Arms — Degueules a trois annelets d or couronne;
De Compte — supports Deux lions.
FRANCIS MARION De BORD.
Francis Marion De Bord, who in the course of an active and intelligently
directed business career, developed one of the extensive wholesale and retail
wall paper and paint enterprises of the city, was born in Illinois, on the 2d
of September, 1851, and passed away in Kansas City, December 5, 1901. His
parents were John A. and Elizabeth De Bord, the former a native of Mary-
land. During the early boyhood of their son, however, they removed to Ken-
tucky and at the age of twelve years Frank Marion De Bord left home, from
which time forward he was dependent entirely upon his own resources. He
drifted around the country, finally settling upon a ranch in Arizona and as
he developed his business talents and energy through experience, he made
progress in his business career. After spending some time on the ranch he
opened a large store near the Verda copper mines and conducted the business
for several years with excellent success, having the only store there. He
drew his trade from a large territory and the volume of business transacted
over the counters brought him a very substantial annual income.
Thus, acquiring a good capital, he came to Kansas City in 1882 and
was identified with its business interests from that time until his demise. Here
he opened a book store on Eighteenth street and later added wall paper to his
stock. Subsequently he opened a branch store in Kansas City, Kansas, and in
1891 established a branch store in Kansas City, Missouri, at Nos. 1109-11
Walnut street. Later he occupied a five-story building on Walnut street be-
tween Eleventh and Twelfth streets. He was one of the first to establish a wall
paper and paint store in Kansas City and he dealt extensively in both com-
modities, selling to the wholesale and to the retail trades. His business de-
veloped with the growth of the city and assumed large proportions and he
continued as one of the best known and most successful dealers in those lines
until the 17th of June. 190L when ill health forced him to retire. He spent
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 523
the summer in travel, hoping to be benefited thereby but this course proved
futile and he parsed away December 5, 1901. The development of his bus-
iness necessitated the employment of a large number of men, to whose inter-
ests he was always loyal and from them he received equal fidelity and al-
legiance. He was always straightforward in his dealings, his business
methods being based upon the rules which govern strict and unswerving in-
Mr. De Bord was married in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1893, to Miss
Mary Houston, a native of Clark county, Ohio, who came to Missoari with
her father, John R. Houston, in 1879. He w^as senior member of the firm of
Houston & Murray, proprietors of the largest grocery house of this city and
he occupied an eminent position in commercial circles here. He continued
activelv in business until his death in 1898, when he was sixtv-three vears
of age. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Woosley, was also
a native of Ohio and is still living, making her home in Kansas City, at the
age of seventy-one years. Mrs. De Bord has one child. Elizabeth, who is now
a student in the Central high school.
In his political views Mr. De Bord was a stalwart republican and was
twice nominated for the office of county collector. In Masonry he attained the
thirty-second degree and his life made him an exemplary representative of
the craft, which is based upon mutual helpfulness and brotherly kindness.
He was also a member and trustee of the Dundee Methodist church and while
the extent of his business interests would not permit of active participation
in public affairs he w^as always interested in all that pertained to the intel-
lectual, material, political and moral progress of his community. His life
record is an illustration of what may be accomplished by young men of
resolute, determined spirit, whose efforts are in strict conformity to a high
standard of professional ethics. Starting out in life for himself at the age
of twelve years there were in his career days of hardship and trial and yet
he early formulated principles of conduct and established for himself high
ideals, toward which he continually strove until in Kansa? City he became
known as one of the most reliable and progressive business men.
FRANK P. GOSSARD.
Frank P. Gossard, secretary of the board of park commissioners of Kan-
sas City, has in this connection done service of much value for the city in
the development and improvement of its park system. He is widely recog-
nized as a public-spirited citizen and one whose cooperation can always be
counted upon to further any progressive measure for the general good. He
was born November 19, 1865, on a farm ten miles west of Chillicothe in Ross
county, Ohio, his parents being William P. and Nancy (Nebergall) Gossard.
The father followed the occupation of farming until his removal westward
in 1871, when he settled in Eldorado, Kansas, where he followed the banking
business for a time. He was killed by an enemy in 1876.
524 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
Frank P. Gossard was only .six years of age when his parents went to the
Sunflower state and in the public schools of Eldorado and AVichita, Kansas,
he obtained his education. In 1882 he went to Belle Plaine, Kansas, where
his brothers were engaged in a banking business, and became bookkeeper
in the bank, acting in that capacity until February, 1885, when he came
to Kansas City, Missouri, where his brother was engaged in a real-estate busi-
ness as senior partner of the firm of A. H. Gossard & Company. The Gos-
sard Investment Company was then organized and Frank P. Gossard became
one of the stockholders and also a clerk in the employ of the company, con-
tinuing in a clerical position until 1890, when he was elected secretary and
treasurer. The company met with financial reverses in August, 1894, after
which Frank P. Gossard assisted the assignee, Mr. Yan Valkenburgh, to wind
up the affairs of the company.
His identification with the park system of the city dates from October,
1895, when he was appointed clerk of the board of park commissioners for
the purpose of making out the verdicts in the condemnation cases in the cir-
cuit court which arose by reason of the establishment of the different parks
in Kansas City. He aided in framing all the verdicts that were made out
for the jury for parks, parkways and boulevards and still does such work.
He also served as condemnation clerk until 1905, when he was appointed
secretary of the board. For twelve years he has been in the park office and is
familiar with all the details and workings of tbe entire park system, having
sSrved under both den)ocratic and republican administrations. He is prompt,
accurate and faithful in the discharge of his duties, his services in this con-
nection giving general satisfaction.
On the 30th of September, 1890, Mr. Gossard was married to Miss Nel-
lie Schmack, a graduate of the Kansas City high school. They have two
sons, Erie G., aged sixteen and Frank P., seven years of age. The family resi-
dence is at No. 118 East Thirty-fifth street and its hospitality is greatly en-
joyed by many friends. Mr. Gossard is a member of the Royal Arcanum,
the Royal League and the Improved Order of Heptasophs, and is a member
of the Second Presbvterian church.
In tlie hi.<t()ry of Kansa-; City's connnercial development mention
should })e made of Ernst Stoeltzing, a retired hardware merchant and one
of the pioneer business men who came to this city in 1866 and in 1868
established the business with which he was so long connected and which is
now being carried on by his son.
A native of Germany, Mr. Stoeltzing was born January 14. 1842, a
son of George Stoeltzing, who was a coppersmith by trade and worked at
that busine.«s during the greater pa-rt of his life. Both he and his wife
alw^ays remained residents of Germanv.
ERNST STOELTZING, SR.
) iJ FC/Jr'»ATIONS|
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 527
With no educational advantages save those afforded by the common
schools Ernst Stoeltzing started out in life as his father's assistant at the
coppersmith's trade, but at the age of fifteen years sailed for America, land-
ing in New York city in 1856. He was attracted to the new world by the
favorable reports which he heard concerning business opportunities here
and after reaching the eastern metropolis he began to learn the tinner's
trade, which he followed for three years. On the expiration of that period
he returned to Germany to visit his old home and there worked as a tinner
until 1866, when he again sailed for America.
This time he came direct to Kansas City and w^as employed as a tin-
ner for a little more than a year when he availed himself of every oppor-
tunity for engaging in business on his own account. He established a hard-
ware store at No. 1415 Grand avenue, where the business is still carried on.
At that time the old Metropolitan block, the first brick business block in the
city, stood on that site. Mr. Stoeltzing opened a small tin shop and in a
short time added a stock of hardware. -Gradually his business grew with
the development of the city and as the result of his well directed labors
and earnest desire to please his patrons. Today this is one of the largest
retail hardware establishments of the city and in addition to the force of
salesmen employed work is given to eight smiths, while two teams and
wagons are utilized in delivering. Mr. Stoeltzing remained an active factor
in the management and control of the business until 1906, when he de-
cided to retire and has since enjoyed a well merited rest, his son succeeding
him in the management of the enterprise, which he established forty years
ago and which has long been recognized as one of the foremost commercial
interests of the city.
Mr. Stoeltzing w^as married in Redwood, St. Clair county, Illinois, to
Miss Martha Tiker, a native of Germany and a daughter of Frederick and
Marie Tiker, who came to America in earlv life and settled in St. Clair
county, Illinois, where Mr. Tiker engaged in farming until his death. His
widow, who was born in Prussia in 1813, afterward became the wife of the
Rev. Henry Balcke, a minister of the German Methodist Episcopal church,
who arrived in this country at the age of eighteen years and for a long period
engaged in preaching in Iowa. He died at the home of a daughter in
Davenport, March 4, 1902, at the age of eighty-eight years. Mrs. Balcke
afterward came to Kansas City and has since lived with Mr. and Mrs.
Stoeltzing. Although now eighty years of age she is still very active. Unto
Mr. and Mrs. Stoeltzing has been born one son, Ernest Frederick, whose
birth occurred March 20, 1880. He is still living with his parents and has
full charge of the hardware business.
Mr. Stoeltzing is a stanch republican in his political preference but
has no desire to hold office, although he has frequently been solicited to
do so by his many friends. He belongs to the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows. His wife and her mother are members of the German Methodist
Episcopal church. Mr. Stoeltzing has in his possession a number of valu-
able and interesting family relics, including a German Bible that was
printed and bound by his great-grandfather in 1770 and is therefore over
528 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
one hundred and thirty years old. It has always been in the family and
is still in excellent condition. He prizes it very highly and well may he
be proud of this interesting volume. The family home is a beautiful res-
idence at No. 3430 Charlotte street. His life is what he has made it and
it has been a success. He started out with only such advantages as other
boys of the middle class in Germany enjoy and that he has succeeded is
due solely to his ability, steadfast purpose and indefatigable industry. Sur-
I'ounded at his home by a circle of friends who appreciate his true worth
and admired and esteemed by his fellow citizens his name has long figured
as that of one of the most enterprising business men of Kansas City — a
man who has acted well his part and has lived a worthy and honorable life.
HOMER E. BOUTELL.
Homer E. Boutell, who at his death in Kansas City left beliind him
many friends, was born in Bakersfield, Vermont, July 28, 1861. He was
n representative of an old family of Maine and an own cousin of Senator
Boutell of that state, and a nephew of the Boutell Brothers, prominent mer-
chants of Minneapolis. His father, Earl N. Boutell, owned extensive farm
lands in Vermont and had there some noted maple sugar orchards, produc-
ing a superior quality of that sugar for which the state is noted. In public
affairs he Avas active and influential, being widely known as a prominent cit-
izen whose opinions were influencing factors in relation to affairs of state.
He died there about nineteen years ago when sixty-five years of age. In
religious faith he was a Presbyterian and in political belief a republican.
His first wife, who bore the maiden name of Martha Donovan, died at the
birth of her son, Homer E., who was the younger of two children, the elder
brother being Gaylord N., a resident of Sedalia, Missouri. For his second
wife Mr. Boutell chose Mrs. Gray and they had two children : George, of
Bakersfield, Vermont; and Florette, now deceased.
In his boyhood days Homer E. Boutell attended the public schools of
his native town and was reared upon the farm. His father, in addition to
other interests, was well known as a raiser of horses and mules and from his
boyhood Homer Boutell engaged in driving and training horses. He left
home for the west when about twenty-one years of age, having with him a
capital of a thousand dollars. He made his way to Kansas City but did not
remain here, going on to Topeka, Kansas, where he joined his brother, and
entered his employ as a bartender. Eventually his brother sold out in
Topeka about the time of the boom in Leavenworth and in the latter town
began dealing in wines and liquors. Soon afterward he came to Kansas
City and with AVilliani Kepler as a partner, opened the Silver Dollar saloon
on Ninth street but on account of the bad management of his partner lost
everything. Homer E. Boutell then opened the finest place in Kansas City in
the New York Life building, with Frank Smith as a partner. He always
conducted a mosi high-cla.«s estabfehment. Porsonallv ho never drank or
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 529
used tobacco and he never allowed any intoxicated person about his place,
and he wa^ the only proprietor of a saloon in Kansas City who could get in-
surance. His house was conducted along strict business lines and by his
capable management he won success.
After a time his partnership with Mr. Smith was dissolved and he pur-
chased a place under the Junction building at Delaware and Main streets.
At length having a chance to sell at good profit, he did so and placed his
money in a bank, but the institution soon afterward failed and he again
lost nearly all he had. He possessed a resolute, determined spirit, however,
and did not allow himself to become discouraged. He then borrowed two
hundred and fifty dollars from a bank without other security than his own
good name and opened another saloon under the New York Life building at
No. 809 Wall street. He catered only to the best class of trade, closed his
saloon at eleven o'clock at night and opened it at seven or eight o'clock in the
morning. He was known to be a thoroughly reliable business man and en-
joyed in full measure the respect of those with w^hom he was associated.
Mr. Boutell was married in Leavenworth, Kansa.s, November 23, 1887,
to ]Miss Haug, who was native of Leavenworth and there resided until her
marriage. She was a daughter of Julius and Elizabeth (Riederer) Haug.
The father was a prominent hotel keeper of Leavenworth and becoming a
factor in political circles, gained equal distinction in that line, holding nearly
all of the offices in the city beside being United States deputy marshal. He
was also court interpreter in Germany. He died in Leavenworth in July,
1896, while his wife passed away September 28, 1883. They were Lutherans
in religious faith and the father was a supporter of the democratic party.
He came to the United States from Germany with his mother and the other
children of the family, his father having died ere their emigration. They
settled in Leavenworth and there his mother passed away recently at the
very advanced age of ninety-four years. Mr. Haug served as deputy mar-
shal at the time of the border ruffian warfare in Kansas and was filling the
office at the time of the troubles in Lawrence, in which, in his official
capacity, he took an active part.
Unto ^Ir. and Mrs. Haug were born four children, namely: Mrs. Bou-
tell: Dora, the wife of H. F. Ludolph, of Leavenworth; Edward T., of Con-
cordia. Kansas, who married Delia Colson ; and Charlotte, who died at the
age of four years.
Mr. Boutell was an exemplary man in his home life. It is said that he
never spoke a cross word to his wife or son and was most devoted to their
welfare and happiness. There was but one child in the family, Earl Nelson,
who was born in Kansas City, September 3, 1893. The death of the hus-
band and father occurred September 30, 1898. He was reared in the Presby-
terian faith and continued a believer in its doctrines until his death. He
was one of the stanchest democrats and took an active interest in his party,
its growth and success.
Following her husband's death Mrs. Boutell conducted a boarding house
at No. 1228 Broadway and later at No. 1335 Broadway, which she sold out
at good advantage. She also bought and sold the property at No. 1323
530 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY