listened with attentive interest to his opinion on political matters. He won
his title as commander of the First Regiment State Militia of Missouri, organ-
izing it and paying all of the expenses of equipment, and was at the head of
the first military parade at Jefferson barracks. In 1849 he assisted in fram-
ing the laws at Lecompton for the state of Kansas and in other w^ays he left
the impress of his individuality upon both Kansas and Missouri during the
formative period. He erected the State Line Hotel in Kansas City in 1866
and it was while thus engaged that his daughter formed the acquaintance of
Mr. Waldron and later gave him her hand in marriage. Colonel Lowe
owned large tracts of land on the west bottoms and from time to time made
540 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
investments in property in the state as he traveled over the west and saw op-
portunity for judicious purchase. He passed away in St. Louis in 1900, and
Missouri was thus deprived of one whom it had come to know and honor as
a man of marked force of character, of strong individuality and native
sagacity. His wife bore the maiden name of Amanda Kidd.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Mr. and Mrs. Waldron became the parents of four children : Grace, at
home; Harry, who is in Boston; Villette, of New York; and Charles, of Kan-
sas City. The death of Mr. Waldron occurred in 1875, he being accidentally
shot and killed at Lafayette, Indiana, while out hunting. Such was the
esteem in which he was held wherever he was known that his death caused
profound sorrow and regret to all with whom he had come in contact. He
was one of those forceful characters, who, without an attempt to make for him-
self a prominent place in public regard, nevertheless is accorded by the con-
sensus of public opinion a position of preferment, owing to the fact that his
salient traits and his well developed talents were such as are uniformly ac-
corded leadership. His political views accorded with the principles of the
republican party and fraternally he was connected with the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, while in the Masonic fraternity he became a Knight
Templar and also a Consistory Mason. His family are members of Grace
Episcopal church and are prominent socially in this city.
JAMES N. EASTWOOD.
James N. Eastwood, deceased, was for some time engaged in the imple-
ment manufacturing business in Kansas City, while later years were spent
as a traveling salesman for large implement houses here. He was only a
boy when he came to western Missouri, his birth having occurred in Mad-
ison, Wisconsin, on the 14th of September, 1850. His father came west at
an early day but remained in Kansas City for only a brief period, after
which he went to California, where he spent the remainder of his life, his
death occurring there a short time ago. The mother died in Madison, Wis-
consin, when her son Jamas was but six months of age and he was then
reared by her sister, Miss Eusebia M. Bodwell, Avho now resides at No. 634
Quindaro boulevard in Kansas City, Kansas. She afforded Mr. Eastwood
good educational privileges. He attended the public and private schools
of i\Iadison. Wisconsin, and in his boyhood came with his aunt to Kansas
On attaining his majority he entered business life on his own account
as a grocer, opening a small store. His trade increased and he enlarged
his stock to meet the growing demands of liis patrons. After a fcnv years,
however, he sold out and wfnt wo.<t to California but remained on the Pacific
coast for oidy a yoar. rotnrnino: thence to Kansas City. Here he engaged
as shinpino; clerk with several of tlie implement houses and after a few
vears ho liopfan business for himself ao:ain. becominc: a partner in the West-
JAMES N. EASTWOOD.
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 543
ern Implement Manufacturing Company, with which he was connected for
It was while thus engaged that Mr. Eastwood was married to Miss Car-
rie N. Applegate, a native of Paris, Tennessee, and a daughter of Dr. Henry
A. and Amanda (Oliver) Applegate. Her father, a practicing physician,
was a native of New Jersey and removed to Paris, Tennessee, where he fol-
lowed his profession and also became a large landowner, spending his
remaining days there. Both he and his wife died the same week. Unto
Mr. and Mrs. Eastwood were born four children: Eveline and Frances L.,
who are residing with their mother; and Eva May and Edna, who died
Mr. Eastwood continued in the manufacturing business for a few years
and then sold out, accepting an excellent offer from the Fuller & Johnson
Manufacturing Company, manufacturers of agricultural implements at No.
1310 West Eleventh street to go upon the road as their traveling represent-
ative and thus the remainder of his life was passed. He succeeded in build-
ing up a good trade and w^as very popular with his patrons, owing to his
genial nature, his cordial disposition and his unfailing courtesy. His last
illness, which was of only two weeks' duration, terminated in death Febru-
ary 19, 1904.
In politics Mr. Eastwood was a stalwart republican but without
aspiration for office. He was prominent in the Masonic fraternity here
and both he and his wife were members of the First Baptist church,
his life exemplifying his Christian faith and belief. He was well known
among the business men of the city and his many good qualities gained for
him the warm regard and friendship of those with whom he came in con-
tact, so that his death was deeply deplored by all who knew him.
Mrs. Eastwood owns a nice home at No. 1330 Harrison street, where
the family have resided for twenty-three years, her husband having made
most of the improvements on this place. She also owns other property on
Harrison street, from which she derives a good rental and thus her hus-
band left her in comfortable financial circumstances. Whatever success he
achieved was attributable entirely to his own labors and resulted from his
strong purpose, close application and commendable ambition.
THOMAS L. MANVILLE.
Thomas L. Manville, deceased, in his business career made steady prog-
ress and for sometime prior to his demise was engaged in the coal and ice
business in Kansas City. He came to this city from Meadville, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1883, to take charge of the branch business of the Smith American
Organ Company of Boston, Massachusetts. He w^as a native of Meadville, his
birth having there occurred in 1855. He pursued his education in its public
schools while spending his boyhood days in the home of his parents, Henry
W. and Joan (Thickstein) Manville, also of Pennsylvania, in which state
544 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
the father was engaged in the wool business for many days. After comple-
ting his education Thomas L. Manville entered the business circles of his
native city, where he remained until his removal to the middle west. It was
in 1883 that he arrived in Kansas City to represent the interests of the Smith
American Organ Company, of Boston, doing a very successful business in
that line for a number of years, building up a large trade in the sale of
organs. At length, however, he turned his attention to the coal and ice busi-
ness, forming a partnership with his brother-in-law, Mr. Clauss. They es-
tablished their enterprise at the corner of Twentieth street and Grand avenue
and enjoyed a constantly growing trade, their patronage reaching an extent
that made their business a very profitable one. To some extent Mr. Man-
ville also invested and dealt in real-estate and at different times was the owner
of considerable property here.
In St. Charles, Missouri, in 1888, Mr. Manville was joined in wedlock
to Miss Amelia Clauss, a native of this state and a daughter of William
Clauss, who at an early day became a resident of St. Charles, Missouri.
There he engaged in the hardware business, becoming well known in mer-
cantile circles. His wife, who in her maidehood was Mary Meyer, was a
native of Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Manville became the parents of one child,
Marion, at home.
Mr. Manville belonged to no fraternities. He was domestic in his tastes
and preferred to devote his leisure hours outside of business to the interests
of his own home and the companionship of his family. There was nothing
spectacular in his career but on the contrary his course was marked by the
steady progress which results from unfaltering diligence and perseverance.
At all timas reliable, he commanded in unqualified degree the trust of those
with whom he was associated. Death came to him March 27, 1899, and de-
prived his family of a devoted husband and father and his associates of a
faithful, trustworthy friend.
WILLIAM V. WHERRETT.
William' V. Wherrett, trea.surer of the Evans-Smith Drug Company,
importers and wholc-^ale druggists of Kansas City, is a representative of one
of the pioneer families of the west. His father, T. N. AVlierrett, is now re-
siding at Eric, Neosho county, Kansas, where he settled in June, 1869, with
his family, consisting of his wife and three sons: William V., Rollin M.
and Ortley E. The father Avas born in Connersville, Indiana, January 5,
1831. His wife, Mrs. Eleanor M. Wherrett, was a native of Delaware, born
in May, 1831. and a daughter of Virden and Hannah Dutton. The pater-
nal grandparents were from Kentucky and removed to Indiana a short time
prior to the birth of their son, I. N. Wherrett, while the grandfather died
soon after that event. The child was then reared by his mother's family^
who were also from Kentucky, and his early life was .spent upon a farm.
Later he learned tlio trnrlo of harness and saddlerv makino-, which he fol-
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 34,3
lowed for a time and afterward engaged in farming and in teaching in the
country schools in the winter seasons. Becoming a member and adjutant
of the One Hundred and First Indiana Volunteer Infantry and later as cap-
tain of Company G, One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Indiana Regiment,
during the period of the Civil war, he took part in the battles of Missionary
Ridge, Chattanooga and other engagements of that campaign. Following
his return from the front he was connected with the provost marshal's office
and afterward engaged in business as a contractor and builder until his re-
moval to Kansas. In the Sunflower state he carried on farming and also
conducted a country store and served as postmaster at Veitsburg, Neosho
county, Kansas, but is now living retired, enjoying a hale and hearty old
age in the, seventy-eighth year of his life. His wife died in 1872 in Colorado
Springs, whither she had gone on account of ill health. Five years later
Mr. AVherrett married again, his second union being with a Mrs; ]\Iead, who
Rollin ]M. Wherrett, the second son of the first marriage, was born in
1856 and lives with his family at Chanute, Kansas. Ortley E. AVherrett was
born in August, 1865, and is now living in Kansas City with his family,
owning and conducting a drug store at Eleventh and Grand streets.
W. Y. Wherrett, whose name introduces this record, acquired his edu-
cation in the public schools of Wabash, Indiana, for after removing to the
west he had no further opportunity of attending school. He assisted in
opening up the farm during the summer months, working with ox-teams,
and in the winter of 1869-70 was employed in a sawmill and continued to
Avork in that way in other winter seasons until 1874. Much time, however,
was spent in assisting his father in clearing land in the river bottoms, haul-
ing logs, wood and lumber, building fencas and otherwise carrying on the
development of the farm. On the 1st of January, 1904, he entered the
drug and grocery store of Dr. Ira Steinberger at Erie, Kansas, living with
the doctor's family but sleeping in the store. His early inclinations were
for the study of civil engineering and architecture, but his father wished
him to become a physician, and his first year with Dr. Steinberger was
spent in preliminary study in that line. He did not find the study very
congenial, however, and as it was necessary that he provide for his own sup-
port, his father having met with financial reverses, he took up the study of
the drug biLsiness instead of medicine. In April, 1877, he came to Kansas
City and entered the employ of J. W. Wood & Company, wholesale drug-
gists, as order clerk, bill clerk and shipping clerk. In fact he worked in
every part of the house and gained intimate knowledge of the business in
detail. This business was sold to Meyers Brothers & Company in 1878 and
Mr. Wherrett remained with the new firm in different capacities until 1884.
In the preceding year was celebrated the marriage of j\Ir. Wherrett and
Miss Lou Tincher, of Berlin, Illinois, and they began keeping house in a
little cottage which Mr. Wherrett had purchased at 618 Holmes street. In
January, 1884, he removed to Chanute, Kansas, purchasing a retail drug
store from Dr. J. H. Light, conducting the enterprise successfully until
July, 1891. At one time he owned considerable property in Chanute and
546 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
took an active interest in the general upbuilding and improvement of the
town. While there he filled the only public office that he has ever held —
that of councilman. In April, 1891, hi- wife died, while two children had
previously passed aw^ay in infancy.
Following the death of his wife Mr. Wherrett disposed of hi.-^ interests
in Chanute and returned to Kansas City on the 1st of October, 1891, again
entering the office of the Meyers Brothers Drug Company, continuing with
that firm until they sold to the Evans-Gallagher Drug Company in ^Nlay,
1893. In 1895 he again become connected with the Meyers Brothers Drug
Company in their St. Louis house, where he conti-nued until January, 1896.
Mr. Gallagher retired from' the partnership of the Evans-Gallagher Drug
Company and the Evans-Smith Drug Company was incorporated, Mr. Wher-
rett entering the company as its treasurer. The house today is well known
as importers and Avholesalers of drugs and the business is most extensive.
In 1898 ]\Ir. Wherrett was married to ]\Iiss Anna Peacock, a daughter
of Charles G. and Louisa Peacock and a native of Independence, Missouri,
where she Avas reared. There is one child of this marriage, William Y., Jr.,
who was born May 13, 1899. The family residence was maintained at No.
4112 McGee street until June, 1907, when they removed to the corner of
Sixtv-third and Brookivn streets.
Mr. Wherrett has little time for other interests outside of his business,
yet he is a member of the Commercial Club and the Credit Men's Associa-
tion. He was reared in the faith of the Methodist church and his wife be-
longs to the Westport Avenue Presbyterian church. He is preeminently a man
of domestic tastes, yet finds great enjoyment in his business, knowing well that
gratification which comes from the successful accomplishment of Avhat one
undertakes. His leisure hours he prefers to spend in his own home and its
surroundings away from the crowded districts of the city.
JOSEPH D. COSBY
The business career of Joseph D. Cosby has been attended with many
obstacles, but his persistency of purpose, which is perhaps his most marked
characteristic, has enabled him to overcome all that has impeded his pro-
gress, so that at the present time he is numbered among the residents of
Kansas City who are now receiving substantial benefits from their labor.
He is well known here as the proprietor of the Hotel Cosby, at the corner
of Ninth and Baltimore streets. He was born in Hart count}', Kentucky,
in the opening hour of the new year of 1851, the family home being at
the head of Round Stone, Avhere is situated the largest spring iii.llie world.
The name was originally spelled Crosby, but later generations have used the
present form of orthography. His parents were Charles L. and Martha
Emcrinc (Clarkson) Cosby. His grandfather, Overton Cosby, came from
London, England, to America at an early day, in company with two broth-
ers, while one brother remained behind in London and eventually became
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 547
lord mayor of the city, and at his death left a fortune of seven million dol-
lars to his brothers. They refused to claim it, however, their pride prevent-
ing because he would not assist them when they wexe poor and needed help.
They had to work their passage across to the United States, and settling in
Virginia they changed the spelling of the name to the present form. They
possessed what stood them in better stead than capital — resolute purpose and
untiring industry — and eventually became well to do. Overton Cosby mar-
ried Ann Bissett and unto them were born four children: Charles L.,
Thomas, Dabney John and Joseph Overton. After living for some time in
Virginia, the father, Overton Cosby, removed with his family to Nelson
county, Kentucky, becoming a pioneer there.
His son, Charles L. Cosby, was born on a plantation in Nelson county,
February 22, 1807, and acquired his education in the St. Joseph Catholic
College at Bardstown, Kentucky. He left school at the age of twenty-one
vears and was then married to INIiss Martha Emerine Clarkson, a daughter
of James F. Clarkson. They located at Round Stone and Mr. Crosby be-
came one of the most prominent, influential and successful business men
of that locality. He conducted mills for the manufacture of lumber and
also for the weaving of cotton and woolen cloth. He likewise carried on
a factory for the manufacture of wagons and plows and was the owner of
three thouisand acres of land. He displayed marked executive and business
ability and an aptitude for successful management which enabled him to rise,
from the ranks of the many and stand among the more successful few. He
died at Upton, Kentucky, not far from Round Stone, in 1874, and thus passed
away one whose worth to the community was widely recognized. He be-
longed to the Masonic fraternity and his early political allegiance Avas given
to the whig party, while later he became a stalwart democrat. His widow,
who was born at Big Spring, Kentucky, is still living in that state and is
a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church. The family of
this worthy couple numbered fourteen children : Imogene, Junius, Junius
(2), James F., John, Lucy, George, Charles, Joseph, Menoah, Mattie,
William, Henry and Eudolpho.
Joseph Cosby attended the public schools near his father's home be-
tween the ages of six and thirteen years, and then, filled with a boy's spirit
of adventure, he ran away, with only forty cents in his pocket. He walked
forty miles the first day to Big Spring, Kentucky, where he began working
on a farm for his uncle, Anslem Clarkson. He was thus employed for three
months, for which he received twenty-four dollars, and leaving the farm he
next made his way to A^ersailles, Kentucky, where he secured employment on
the farm of Morgan and McGee, the senior member being a brother of the
famous Confederate raider. On leaving the south Mr. Cosby became a resi-
dent of Quincy, Illinois, and ran on the Hamilton & St. Joseph Railroad as
news agent during the years of 1867 and 1868. Realizing that that business
might be made a very profitable one. he afterward arranged to take the news
business of the St. Joseph & Denver Railroad and several other lines. In
the undertaking he pro.spered and subsequently removed to St. Louis, Mis-
siouri, from which town he superintended the news business on a number
548 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY
of difTerent railways. From the beginning his success constantly increased
until he gave up the business in 1877 with a capital sufficient to enable
him to purchase a restaurant at the corner of Twelfth and Poplar streets,
in St. Louis. There he profitably carried on business for seven years and
when he sold out received what he had paid for the property when the build-
ing was new and ten thousand dollars additional. He next opened up the
finest dairy lunch room in St. Louis, at No. 808 Olive street, but at the end
of a year leased it to A. W. Fagin. The Odd Fellows erected a building at
the corner and in so doing undermined the rastaurant, which collapsed,
killing forty-five people. Mr. Cosby opened a hotel at No. 110-112 Broad-
way, St. Louis, conducting it for a year, when he sold out at a sacrifice and
came to Kansas City. At this time he was indebted to his brother to the
sum .of twenty-three hundred dollars and had a wife and family to support.
His brother conducted a news, cigar and fruit business in the Union depot
and ^Ir. Cosby worked for him for twelve years. In the meantime, however,
he went to Guthrie, Oklahoma, and settled upon a lot, but his claim was
contested in the courts and he spent twenty-two hundred dollars in litiga-
tion, at last losing his claim. That lot today is worth forty thousand dollars.
He also had built a hotel on it but had to mortgage the property and also
Under circumstances which would have utterly discouraged and dis-
heartened many a man of less resolute spirit, jNIr. Cosby embarked in ])usi-
ness anew and in 1889 opened the Cosby Hotel, which he has since con-
ducted. Previous to this time the building was mostly used for office
purposes, but Mr. Cosby remodeled it, transforming it into a good hotel with
sixty-six sleeping apartments. For nine years he has been pro])riotor of the
hotel, which has long since become a paying property.
On the 4th of May, 1884, in St. Louis, occurred the marriage of Mr.
Cosbv and Miss Theresa Pickel, who was born in Cicrmanv and at the aue
of twelve years became a resident of St. Louis. Their children are: Eva-
lyne, now the wife of AVright Rutan, of Kansas City; and Olive, at home.
Mr. and Mrs. Cosby have gained imniy friends during their residence here
and are well known. Starting out in life for liiinself when l)ut thirteen
year.s of age, Mr. Cosby has since depended entirely u])on his own resources
and the energy and diligence which he has displayed con.<titute the l)asis
upon whicli he has l)uilded whatever prosperity is his.
.\P,UI).\n .1. FUD-GE.
There is no i-ccord which the Anieric;ni jx'ojdc hold in as higli i-egard
as that of the self-made man — the man who carves out his fortune in the
face of opposition and of competition, who wins success ])y the exercise of
his native talents and tlie iiii]>i'o\cnient of op))ortunities wiiicli surround tlie
entire people. Such was the history of Abndah .1. Fudge, wlio figured for
a considerable period as a blading business man of Kansas Citw liis record
ABUDAH J. FUD(tE.
' T;R new YORK
J BJC LIBRARY
TILDEN FOUN RATIONS
HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 551
reflecting credit upon this city which he chose as his place of residence.
Here he engaged in the wholesale produce business, with branch stores at
various points. He arrived here in 1885 and from that time until his
demise operated extensively in the line indicated.
He was a native of Shelby county, Missouri, born March 20, 1853, his
parents being Jeremiah and Amelia Jane Fudge. The mother died when
her son was but three years of age and he was reared by his eldest sister.
The father resided on a farm in Shelby county, Missouri, and afterward
removed to Cass county, where he spent his remaining days and was
extensively engaged in general agricultural pursuits.
Abudah J. Fudge was educated in the common schools of Cass county,
the home farm being located seven miles southwest of the town of Harrison-
ville. He assisted his father in the farm work until he became a young
man and then began buying grain in the south, operating mostly in Dallas,
Texas. The Avinter seasons were devoted to that business while the summer
months were spent upon the home farm. He met with splendid success as
a grain merchant and from this it was a legitimate step into the produce
business, which he established as a wholesale merchant in that line upon
his removal to Kansas City. His store was at No. 15 West Fourth street,
where he remained until his life's labors were ended in death. The favor-
able acquaintances he had formed in business circles and the enterprising
methods which he pursued in the conduct of his business interests led to
rapid and substantial growth and he extended the field of his activities by
establishing five or six branch stores in points in the vicinity of Kansas
City, there purchasing the country produce which he had handled as a
wholesale merchant. His trade reached large proportions and brought to
him a oratifving return on his investment.