Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 53 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

]\Ir. Fudge was married to Miss Juan P. Benight, a daughter of Judge
Samuel D. and Dorothy (Payton) Benight. Her father was a prominent
attorney and served as judge of the court of Cass county, where he resided
during the greater part of his life. The mother still survives and now
resides at Harrison ville. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Fudge were born three chil-
dren : Fannie V. and Margaret A., both of whom are living with their
mother, and Samuel A., who was formerly engaged in the produce business
in Kansas City, but is now residing on a ranch in California. The family
residence was maintained in Cass county until 1885, when they came to
Kansas City. After arriving here Mr. Fudge invested to some extent in
real estate and his widow now owns three nice residences on Brooklyn
avenue across from her home and from the property derives a good rental.
Her own home is a beautiful dwelling at No. 206 Brooklyn avenue, where
she is living with her daughters, dispensing gracious and warm-hearted hos-
pitality there to many friends. The death of the husband and father
occurred March 5, 1906, and Kansas City felt a distinct loss in business
circles, for he was one who contributed to the general commercial activity
and prospei-ity. In politics he was a democrat and fraternity Avas con-
nected Avith the "Woodmen of the World and other social organizations. He
was devoted to his familv and friend? and the many commendable traits



552 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

of his character Avon liim uniform good will. ^NIi-s. Fudge is a member of
the Independent Avenue Christian church and is well known in the city,
where she lias now made her home for twenty-three years.



DAA7D RITTENHOUSE PORTER, M. D.

Dr. David RittenhoiLse Porter, one of the distinguished medical prac-
titioners and educators of Kansas City, a native of Steubenville, Jefferson
county, Ohio, born November 23, 1838. His father, Thomas A. Porter,
born in eastern Pennsylvania, w^as of Scotch Irish parentage, while the mother,
Mrs. Elizabeth (Fry) Porter, of Maryland, was of Holland lineage, being
descended from David Rittenhouse.

In the public schools of his native county Dr. Porter acquired his pre-
liminary education and, with the desire to become a practitioner of medi-
cine, he matriculated in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk,
while later he studied in Bellevue Hospital Medical College in New York
city. The year 1859 Avitnessed his arrival in the middle west, and early in
1861 he enlisted for service as a private in the Fifth Regiment Volunteer
Cavalry at Fort Leavenworth under Colonel Powell Clayton, since United
States ambassador to Mexico. His last battle that engagement he was pro-
moted to the position of assistant surgeon of his regiment, with which he Avas
honorably discharged on the 10th of January, 1865, having never lost a
single day through furlough, leave of absence or otherwise. On the con-
trary he Avas ever found at his post of duty Avhether as a soldier in the rank=?
or in his professional capacity in ministering to the needs of the sick and
suffering.

Dr. Porter located for the active practice of his profession in Kansas
City on the 6th of June, 1865, and has resided here continuously since. In
1865 there Avere only about ten physicians practicing here. The rapid de-
velopment of the city has given him ample opportunity to prove his ability
and Avorth in the line of his chosen labor. In 1869 he became one of the
founders of the Kansas City Medical College and for a quarter of a century
he has filled chairs in that institution, having at different times been
professor of materia medica, genito urinary surgery and principles and prac-
tice of medicine, also emeritus professor of the principles and ]iractice of
medicine and clinical medicine in that institution. He lectures at tlie Uni-
versity of Kansas and at pi-c.-cnt is examining physician for a dozen or more
insurance companies, in addition to which ho has a large general practice.
He has been secretary And vice -president of the iNIissouri State Medical Asso-
ciation and representative of the same at the International ^Tedical Con-
gress in Philadelphia in 1876 and in Perl in in 1890. He is a member of
the Jackson County Medical Society and at one time served as its presi-
dent. He has been city physician and Avas president of the Kansas. City
board of health in 1878-9. Plis labors as an active practitioner and as an
educator Imve been rtf far-roaching effect and of great benefit to his felloAv-



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 553

men. He has continually advanced in his profession, not only keeping
abreast with its leaders, but also contributing to the sum total of knowledge
which has promoted the efficiency of the physician and surgeon.

In 1870 Dr. Porter was married to Miss Ollie J. Smith, of Kalamazoo,
Michigan. His son, Pierre Rittenhouse Porter, is a graduate of Yale Col-
lege and of the law department cff Harvard University, and is now practicing
law in this city. Dr. Porter is identified with the Grand Army of the Re-
public and with the Loyal Legion, but the constantly increasing demands
of his profession have left him little leisure for social interests. However,
he possesses a very jovial nature and attractive personality, winning the
warm friendship and regard of young and old, rich and poor to such an
extent that the public are unwilling to allow him to in any degree put aside
his professional duties and enjoy the retirement which he so well merits. In
all of his practice he has manifested a humanitarian spirit that has been
one of the strong elements in his success. For forty-three years connected
with the medical fraternity in Kansas City, his ability has not only gained
for him a large private practice but has won him the attention of the pro-
fession throughout the state and in other sections of the country. He wat?
remarkably successful in early days in the treatment of malarial and con-
tagious diseases and active in advancing modern sanitary conditions, and
there are cited many tangible evidences of the fact that his life has been
one of great usefulness.



JOHN P. LOOMAS.



The extent and importance of the business interests which claimed the
time and attention of John P. Loomas, as well as his salient personal traits of
character, gained him rank with the prominent residents of Kansas City,
where he established his home in 1877, here residing to the time of his death.

He was a native of Menasha, Wisconsin, born January 11, 1854, of the
marriage of James and Margaret (Prince) Loomas, natives of England and
of the state of New York respectively. The father was just forty years of
age when he came to America, bringing with him forty thousand dollars in
gold, which was considered a great fortune as wealth was estimated in that
day. He purchased a large farm in the town of Menasha, Wisconsin, and
also owned an extensive woolen mill there, being thus connected with in-
dustrial as well as agricultural pursuits. His attention was chiefly given to
general farming, however, and he superintended the tilling of the soil upon
the home place throughout his remaining days. He was known as one of
the most public-spirited and enterprising men in that part of the county and
also bore an unassailable reputation for business integrity and honor. His
wife was an invalid for many years and spent the last nine months of her
life with her son John P., in Kansas City. There were five children in the
familv, four sons and a daughter, of whom three of the sons are now living.






554 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

Reared iiiDon the home farm, John P. Loomas pursued his education in
the public schools of Menasha, Wisconsin, and when not busy with his text-
books he rendered assistance to his father in the work of plowing, plantin
and harvesting. He was also employed in different ways in Menasha until he
had saved a sufficient sum of money to enable him to pursue a course of
study in the commercial college at Oshkosli, Wisconsin. In early life it was
his ambition to become a lawyer but fate and circumstances seemed to shape
his course otherwise and with ready adaptability he took up the work at hand,
successfully accomplishing any task that claimed his attention. After leav-
ing the commercial college he started westward, visiting many points in the
western states and working in different mining camps. AVhile in Colorado
he was also engaged for a few months in herding sheep. He then returned
and settled in Joplin, Missouri, where he became connected with the mines
at that place but, hard times coming on, he lost all that he had made in the
interim.

Seeking then another field of labor, Mr. Loomas removed to Kansas City
in 1877, arriving here with but thirteen dollars. He possessed a strong de-
termination, indomitable courage and unfaltering energy and thus he started
in business life anew, determined to retrieve his lost possessions. He accepted
a position as bookkeeper with a commission firm of Clemens & Cloon at the
corner of Fourth and Walnut streets, continuing in that capacity for two
j-ears, during which time his business qualifications gained recognition by
the firm and he was then admitted to a partnership. He continued with the
house for about a year, after which he withdrew and established a commission
business on his own account at No. 503 Walnut street. In this he was quite
successful and engaged in the business until 1889, when he withdrew and
became a director in the American National Bank of Kansas City. He also
attended to the collections of the bank and was associated therewith for a few
years, when he practically gave up all business. In the meantime he had
prospered and as his financial resources had increased he had invested in real
estate and had become the owner of considerable income-bearing property.

In the early part of 1899 Mr. Loomas' friend*, who recognized his su-
perior business ability and executive force, urged him to take charge of the
management of the building of the great Convention Hall of Kansas City
and he did so. The structure was to be completed by the 4th of July of that
year in time to be occupied by the democratic national convention, but on
the 4tli of April, before the structure was finished, it was destroyed by fire,
being burned to the ground. The situation which confronted Mr. Loomas
was one which would have utterly discouraged a man of less resolute spirit
and adaptability but he was equal to the occasion and took charge of hun-
dreds of men in rebuilding the Convention Hall. In just throe months aflci' it
Avas destroyed by fire the hall was made ready for occupancy, being opened
for the great convention on the 4th of July. It is now one of the largest and
finest structures in the west. Mr. Loomas worked hard day and night with
his force of men to complete the building. When that work was completed he
lived retired, enjoying a well moritod rest through hi~ remain iii^ dnys.



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 555

Mr. Loomas was married in his native county to Miss Mary Ida Huxley,
who was born in Neenah, Wisconsin, and was a daughter of Henry Huxley, a
native of Connecticut, who came west at an early day and purchased farms
in Neenah. He there bought and improved a number of farming
properties and was identified with agricultural interests in that locality
until his demise. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Loomas were born two children. Linda
is the wife of Charles M. Bush, a very prominent attorney of this city, with
offices at No. 1000 New York Life building and residence at No. 716 Benton
boulevard. John died January 11, 1895, at the age of six years and three
months.

The death of Mr. Loomas occurred May 17, 1901. He had ably done
his work in the world and had made for himself a creditable name and posi-
tion in business circles. He was always interested in the welfare of the city
and cooperated in many movements of public progress. His friends desired
that he should serve as mayor during the early years of his residence here but
he declined all political honors, although he gave stalwart support to the
republican party. His interest in the city's advancement, however, was deep
and sincere and his labors were frequently far-reaching along lines of munic-
ipal benefit. He took an active part in furthering the Priests of Pallas
parades each year and thus exploiting the resources of the city, and in 1887
had charge of the produce display in the first parade. He was a man of
marked individuality and left his impress upon public thought and action.
He wielded a wide influence, always on the side of progress and improve-
ment and Mrs. Loomas now has in her possession two fine memorials of her
husband presented to her by his friends, who were among the prominent bus-
iness men of the city.

Mrs. Loomas is an active and zealous member of the Fifth Presbyterian
church. She owns and occupies the Loomas residence at 2417 East Twelfth
street, which was erected by her husband twenty years ago. She also has
residence property on Wabash avenue and in other parts of the city, from
which she derives a good rental. Occupying her home with her is a relative,
Mrs. Mary Chalfant, the widow of Dr. Chalfant. She came to this city many
years ago and has been most prominent in its benevolent and charitable work
as the organizer of the Children's Home and of the Old Ladies' Home. She
is equally active as a worker in the Presbyterian church and has contributed
in substantial measure toward furthering the interests of the unfortunate.



JOHN ROBERT CROWE.

In the conservation of the development and prosperity in the southwest,
John Robert Crowe, as organizer and promoter of the J. R. Crowe Coal Min-
ing Company has been a most important factor. He entered upon life's activi-
ties October' 12, 1858, at Hampden, Ohio, with the mingled strains of the
blood of Irish and Dutch ancestry in his veins and in his business career he
has displayed many of the strong and sterling traits of the Celtic as well as



556 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

Teutonic ancestry. His parents were David and Susan Crowe, the former
a stock-raiser who removed from Ohio to Kansas .-;oon after the hirth of his
son, John R. In the Sunflower state, therefore, the boy was reared and
through the medium of the public schools he acquired his education. At the
age of twenty-one years he entered the stock business with his father and con-
tinued in that Hue until 1884, when, mercantile life proving more alluring
to him, he became a factor in the commercial interests of AVeir City. Kan-
sas. In the meantime, however, he was studying the business outlook and pros-
pects of mining, and thinking to find it a congenial as well as profitable
field he became interested in zinc and lead mining at Galena. Missouri, and
in the Joplin district in 1891. In the latter part of that year, however, he
decided to confine his operations to coal mining and become active in the
development of coal properties at Weir City, Kansas, and in the Cherokee
district. He was thus continuously engaged until 1897, when he organized
the J. R. Crowe Coal Mining Company and in its gradual expansion has made
it one of the largest corporations of this character in the west. From time
to time he has purchased further coal-bearing fields, all in the southern part
of Kansas, and has opened additional mines so that he is sending their prod-
ucts into many sections of the country. The trade with all of it< ramify-
ing interests is now verv extensive and in addition to the J. R. Crowe Coal
Mining Company, he is a financial and administrative factor in various other
companies, being president of the Whitehead Coal jNIining Company and of
the Cherokee Coal Mining Company and a director of the Fleming Coal Com-
pany, the Cherokee Crescent Coal Company, the Southern Coal 'S: Mer-
cantile Company, the J. H. Bennett Coal Company and a director in the
Commerce Trust Company..

On the ■25th of April, 1887, Air. Crowe married Miss Alargaret Hamilton,
and their children, two in number, are Robert Stewart and Mary C.

Air. Crowe has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite in
Masonry and belongs to the Commercial, the Elm Ridge, the Evanston Grolf
and the Kansas City Driving Clul)s — associations which indicate much of
the nature of his interests and his diversions. To see Mr. Crowe is to know
that he is an alert, energetic man, with keener insight than many of his
fellows, and that his judgment is equally sound is shown in the success which
has attended him in his active and constantly increasing field of operation.



ROBERT W. IHIJJKER.

Robert William llilliker, well kn(»wn as a jiionecr, banker, contractor
and iiiaiinfaclurcr. promoted, tlirougli his cxten.-ivc business interests, the
material welfare and substantial (l('velf)]jment of both Kan.sas City, AIis.souri,
and Kansas City, Kansas. Moi-covcr he was w?ll known in political circles,
liis o])iiiions carrying weight in paiiy councils, while his vicnvs relative to
busiiie - ]»rnlilciiis were generally accepted as conclusive Ijy those who knew




iiOBERT W. HILLIKEK.



r



T;.L rii.V/ YORK

[^UBLIC LIBRARY



ASTOR, LENOX

TILDEN FOUN»ATIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 559

him, such was the respect entertained for his business wisdom and integ-

I'ity.

Mr. Hilliker dated his residence in Kansas City, Missouri, from 1866.
He was born in the state of New York in 1830, but wa^ only a small child
when his jDarents removed to Canada, where they resided until death. In
the private schools of that country Robert W. Hilliker was educated and,
made preparation for his life work. In his younger days, desiring to be-
come a contractor, he began studying and working along those, lines and
when a young man was employed at construction work of various kinds.
He then started out in business on his owm account as a contractor and his
first contract of any importance was for the building of the old Flint &
Holly Railroad, of Michigan, which he built during the period of the Civil
war.

The year 1865 witnessed his arrival in Kansas City, where he entered
business life in connection with all kinds of jobbing and contracting. He
Avas soon awarded the contract for the building of the first toll bridge here,
at the mouth of the Kaw river, w-hich bridge is now used as a pier by the
Kansas City Water Works Company. He next turned his attention to the
.stone business, owning an extensive quarry in the west bottoms, on the west
side of the river, where he employed many men in getting out stone. His
business became very extensive. He contracted and quarried the stone for
over one thousand buildings erected in the two Kansas Cities. He erected
one of the first stone buildings in Kansas City, Missouri, at the corner of
Fifth and Wyandotte streets, w^hich building is still standing. He did
the first paving and built the first viaduct in Kansas City, Kansas. He con-
tinued as a general contractor and dealer in stone for many years and was
very successful. He afterward turned his attention to the banking business,
for several years conducting a bank at Kansas City, Kansas, which was con-
nected with one of the larger banks in Kansas City, Missouri, and during
the financial trouble of 1901 both of these banks closed their doors. While
connected with banking Mr. Hilliker also conducted a jewelry business and
loan office, thus extending the scope of his activities. He conducted both
enterprises in Kansas City. Kansas, and closed them out when the bank
was closed. He then began the novelty manufacturing business, in which
he continued throughout his remaining days.

Mr. Hilliker was married twice. In Canada he wedded Miss Sarah Ann
Durkee. a native of that country, who engaged in teaching school there up
to the time of her marriage. She died in Kansas City, at the old home at
the corner of Seventh street and Pennsylvania avenue, September 16, 1872,
in the faith of the First Presbyterian church, of which she was a consistent
member. Her many good traits of heart and mind had endeared her to
many friends, who shared in the loss sustained by the family, to whom she
was a devoted wife and mother. There were six children by that marriage:
Charles E.. who is now engaged in the transfer business/ in Kansas City,
Missouri; James E.. a farmer now residing with his sister in Bethel. Kansas;
Henry T., who died in 1904. and who was a member of the fire department
of Kansas City, Kansas ; Mrs. W. M. Smith, of Kansas City, Missouri ; Sarah



5b0 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

Elizabeth, the wife of W. C. Babbitt, a farmer residing at Bethel. Kaii^ac?;
and Margaret L., the widow of Simon J. Beattie, residing at Xo. 3945 Cen-
tral avenue. Her husbajid wa^ well known in railroad circles in the west
on the Union Pacific and other rtiilroads between Kansas City. Kansas and
Denver. He died in Kansas City. Missouri, in 1899, leaving his widow and
two sons, Walter and Loraine, aged sixteen and eleven years, respectively.
Mr. and Mrs. Beattie had been residing in Canada and were here on a visit
when ;Mr. Beattie died. Mrs. Beattie returned to Canada, where she re-
mained until 1903, when she sold her property in Kansas City. Kansas, and
also settled her father's estate, including the interests in the two Kansas
Cities and in Canada. She then purchased her present residence on
Central avenue, where she and her children make their home, and in the
communitv thev are widelv and favorablv known. After losing his first wife
^Ir. Hilliker was married to ^Irs. Martha Welsh, who died in Kansas City,
^lissouri. in 1899.

Mr. Hilliker continued in the manufacturing business until his death.
November 13, 1903, passing away at his old home at No. 15 Prospect avenue,
Kansas City, Kansas. He was well known as a political leader in the two
cities, being a stalwart supporter of the republican party. On that ticket
he was elected mayor of Kansas City. Kansas, filling the office for several
years and bringing to bear in the discharge of his duties the same spirit of
enterprise, business tilertness and sound judgment that characterized his
management of his private interests. He was also at one time a candidate
for congress and was a member of the city council and police commissioner
several years. At the time of his death he was president of the ^lanu-
facturers Association of Kanscis City. Missouri, and was also president of the
Bankers Association Kansas City, Kansas. He had a very wide acquaint-
ance among the pioneer business men of the two cities. Honorable in busi-
ness, loyal in citizenship, charitable in thought, kindly in action, there are
manv who vet cherish his memorv because of the sterling worth of his
character.



WILLIAM L. CAMPBELL, M. D.

Dr. William L. Campbell is a member of the Campbell family that has
been identified with the history of Missouri since 1824. A mitive of Kansas
City, he was born in the liistoric Harris Hou.se at Westport, now a portion
of the city, October 21. 1855. This house at that time was the principal
hotel of the southwest and was a notable point in connection with the border
war affairs. His father. John Campbell, was a prominent freighter on the
Santa Fe trail, operating between Westj>ort, Missouri, and Santa Fe, Now
Mexico, with immense wagon trains. He employed many men and while
he made Santa Fe his home he spent much of his time at the starting point
of his line — Westport. His prominence in connection with the early develop-
ment of the city caused one of its highways to be named in his honor. —
Campbell street, — while Charlotte street was named for Dr. Campbell's



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 561

mother, a lady of unusual literary ability and a descendant of the Duke of
Argyle, who because of his religious opinions was executed during the days
of religious intolerance and persecution.

Dr. Campbell is a graduate of the Kemper Military Institute at Boon-
ville. ^Missouri, and is an alumnus of the Kansas Citv University bv reason
of his having graduated at the Kansas City Medical College, which has been
merged into the university as its medical department. In his boyhood days
Dr. Campbell made his best coui'se in his studies of the classics, becoming
particularly proficient in Latin and Greek. After leaving school he kept up
his Latin studies, it being his custom to devote an hour before breakfast each
morning to the study of Latin and to dumb bell exercises, exercising with a
Latin book propped open before him. During his vacations he became thor-
oughly familiar with the ^lissouri and ^lississippi rivers, ha^dng a pilot's
knowledge of those streams from St. Louis to Fort Leavenworth, and while