Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 54 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

he never followed the river as an occupation, he was much interested in the
stream and regarded it as the regulator of railway rates. He was among
those who established the St. Louis v?c Kansas City packet line in 1890, own-
ing and operating the steamers A. L. Mason, State of Kansas and State of
Missouri.

In his early manhood while pursuing his medical studies. Dr. Campbell
concluded that his then youthful appearance would militate against him as
a medical practitioner and in consequence temporarily abandoned the field
of medicine for several years and was during that period connected with the
newspapers of the city. He finally returned to the healing art, however, with
special reference in his practice to emergency surgery and expert testimony
in court. He is a member of the Jackson County Medical Society, the Missouri
State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, which is the
national medical association of the United States. He has constantly broad-
ened his knowledge in professional fields by research, experience and investi-
gation and stands prominent among those who have gained distinction as
members of the medical fraternity in Kansas City.

Of broad humanitarian views and principles, recognizing as few have
done specific needs along various lines, Dr. Campbell has closely associated
himself with public charities and his labors have been directly beneficial to
benevolent work. He is one of the trustees of the Gillis Opera House, which
gives six hundred dollars in cash each month to the Gillis Orphans Home,
his associate trustee being Judge E. L. Scarritt. Another notable charitable
work which he has fostered was the establishment of a playground for the
children of the overcrowded unsanitary tenements of the "north end." In
this he was as.?ociated with Judge Scarritt and Judge AVilliam II. Wallace,
who donated the use of the vacant lot known as Shelley Park as a playground.
The gentlemen mentioned were the principal owners of Shelley Park and
the Women's Club equipped the grounds with amusement contrivances, and
it was used for years for the benefit of the children of the neighborhood.

Dr. Campbell is an officer of and one of the active workers in the Kansas
City Historical Society and is also identified with the :Missouri Folk Lore
Societv. While not a communicant he has alwavs affiliated with the Southern



562 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

Presbyterian church, of Avhich relimovis body his mother Avas one of the oris;-
inal members in Kansas City, when the first church of that denommation
was organized ^lay 25, 1857. His pohtical support is giyen to the democracy.
He has always been a firm beheyer in Kansas City's future and has demon-
strated his faith in the city by his somewhat extensiye inyestments in reai
estate. He is looking forvyard hopefully toward a greater city and is doing
his full share toAyard accomplishing results in this direction. A prominent
representatiye of one of the oldest families of this part of the state, he has
from his early manhood to the present time been associated Avith interests
of utmost yalue in promoting the material upbuilding and the progress of the
city along social, intellectual, beneyolent and moral lines.



HENRY" KOCH.



In a history of those residents of Ivansas City who Avere once actiye fac-
tors in her business life but haye now passed from the scene of earthly
interests, mention should be made of Henry Koch, Avho Ayas born October 3,
1851, near Osage Bluff in Cole county, Missouri, and died at his home at
No. 1413 East Fourteenth street on the 1st of April, 1894. His father, John
P. Koch, a natiye of Germany, Avas born near Delau, February 8, 1809, and
as a young man came to the United States, landing at New Orleans, Ayhence
he proceeded up the Mississippi riyer to Jefferson City. He AA-as married in
Germany but his first AA-ife died in this country, leaying a daughter, Cath-
erine, Avho became the AA'ife of John Jacobs and died at Osage BlufT, Missouri.
After coining to this country John P. Koch AA'as married in Jefferson City,
Missouri, to Miss Barbara Engelbrecht, Avho crossed the Atlantic to the Uni-
ted States AA^hen sixteen years of age. Following his marriage Mr. Koch })ur-
chased a farm iicai- Osage Bluff, AA'here he carried on general agricultural
pursuits until liis death on the 11th of Juno, 1887. His Avife passed away
two years later, on the 16th of March, 1889. Their children Avere: Anna,
AA'ho became the wife of Louis Bachman and died in California: Henry and
Mary, now Mrs. .b)hn Meier, of Jefferson City, Missouri.

Henry Koch, the only son of the family, pursu'od a common-scliool edu-
cation and in his boyhood days aided in the work of the home farm, early be-
coming familiar Avith all the tasks incident to the deyelopment and improye-
ment of a tract of land utilized in the production of crops. In early manhood
he also taught school foi- seyeral years in Colo county.

]t was in ("arly manhood that Mr. Kocli was married, on the 12th of
October, 1875, to Miss Margaretha Steininger, AA'ho Avas born in Osage City,
Missouri, February 14, 1857, and Avas educated in the country schools. Her
father Avas born in Germany and came to the United States in 1841. \\
the time of the Ciyil Ayar he .«eryed as a member of the home militia. He
AA'as building a new house on his farm near Osage Bluff and Avas Avorking on
the roof when General Price came along Avith his army and took him ]n'isoner,
holding him in captiyity for some time. He AA'as a stanch supporter of the



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 563

Union eau.<e and it was because of his sympathy with the Federal government
that the Confederate general held him a captive until exchanged.

For four years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Koch lived upon the
liome farm belonging to his father and later he carried on general agricul-
tural punsuits for several years on his own farm of one hundred and twenty
acres near Osage Bluff, bringing the fields under a high state of cultivation.
Later he sold that property and bought one hundred and twenty acres near
Jefferson City, Missouri, his time and energies being then given to its fur-
ther development and improvement. At length, however, he determined to
retire from agricultural life and to give his attention to commercial pursuits.
Accordingly he took up his abode in Kansas City, July 20, 1887, and pur-
chased a grocery store at No. 1413 East Fourteenth street. There he carried
on a successful business until his death and was a respected and well known
merchant whose business methods were entirely honorable and trustworthy.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Koch were born four children : Emma S., now the
wife of H. C. Williams, of Kansas City; Alma C, who is bookkeeper for
Hedinger Brothers of Kansas City; William C, and Oscar H.. both with
Peet Brothers and still at home. To his family !Mr. Koch was devoted, his
interests centering in the welfare and happiness of his wife and children.
His political allegiance was given to the republican party and he never
faltered in support of an opinion or position which he believed to be right,
political or otherwise. In 1871 he was converted and became a member of
the German Methodist Episcopal church at Osage Bluff. He served as
steward in the church and as a Sunday school teacher and was active in var-
ious departments of the church w^ork, while his entire life was in harmony
with his professions. He was lenient in his criticisms of others, charitable in
thought, kindly in purpose and generous in action, and his memory is there-
fore sacredly cherished by many who knew him.



FRANK HAGERMAN.

This is an age of specialization. Business interests have been developed
to such a complex and intricate point that it is almost impossible for one to
become master of all departments of any given science or commercial under-
taking, and through the natural processes of evolution the specialist has be-
come the strongest factor in the business life of the present. While well
grounded in the general principles of law, Frank Hagerman of the Kansas
City bar is now devoting his time and energies chiefly to corporation law and
is a legal representative of many prominent corporate interests.

A native of Clark county, Missouri, Mr. Hagerman was born April 27,
1857, and pursued his literary education in the public schools of Keokuk,
Iowa, completing a high school course at the age of seventeen. He had al-
ready determined to make the practice of law his life work and immediately
following his graduation began his preliminary reading in the office and



564 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

under the direction of P. T. Lomax of that city, being admitted to the bar
two years later, at the age of nineteen.

Mr. Hagerman at once entered upon his practice and at twenty-one
years of age Avas elected city attorney of Keokuk — the only public office that
he has ever consented to hold. On the 1st of January, 1881, he became a mem-
ber of the firm of Hagerman, McCrary & Hagerman, the senior partner being
his elder brother, James Hagerman, now general solicitor for the Missouri,
Kansas & Texas Railroad. In 1884 James Hagerman removed to Topeka,
Kansas, and the firm became McCrary & Hagerman. In 1886, Frank Hager-
man became a member of the firm of Anderson, Davis & Hagerman, contin-
uing in practice in Keokuk until 1887, when he came to Kansas City and
entered the firm of Pratt, McCrary, Ferry & Hagerman, the second member
of the firm being formerly United States Circuit Judge ^McCrary, who died
in 1890, the other partners continuing in practice together until 1896, when
Mr. Hagerman withdrew and has since been alone. He has kept strictly to
the law and outside of active participation in politics save in the exercise of
his right of franchise. Eugene McQuinlan, compiler of the Missouri Digest,
dedicated that work to Mr. Hagerman in recognition of his conspicuous posi-
tion in the profession. He makes a specialty of corporation law and has thor-
oughly informed himself concerning this great branch of jurisprudence. In
this connection he had conducted more important litigated interests and is
everywhere regarded as a wise counselor and safe adviser. He was al.-o one
of the five original receivers of the Lombard Investment Company and later
became sole receiver, closing up its affairs.

On the 27th of February, 1887, Mr. Hagerman was married to Miss
Ella Comstock. of St. Louis. Mr. Hagerman is a gentleman of broad literary
attainments and general knowledge, ever characterized by studious habits
and diligent research. The circle of hLs acquaintance is select rather than
large and those who receive his friendship find in him a most entertaining
and congenial companion.



WiLLTA:\[ M. XFWHAM.

Williiiiii M. Xcwliaiii, deceased, bccaiiic a resident of Kansas City dur-
ing the f(»i'niali\(' period in its history and liis name is therefore found on
the roll of ils pioneers. A native of Culpeper eonnty, N'irginia. Ih' ^\■as l)orn
September 2, 1840, and came as a young man of twenty-six to the west.
His parents were Dr. We>ley 'l\ and Annie (Ah)rgan) Xewham, also natives
of the Old Dominion. 'I'lie father, a member of the medical jirofession,
devoted his enlire life to tliat callintj; and i^racticed in many towns in Ylr-
ginia.

As a ]tn|>il in llie public schools of liis natixc county William M. New-
ham mastered tlie liranclics of learning which constituted the foundation
of his success in lniei- life. On leaving liome he went to Chillicothe, Ohio,
where his brother. Car-on Xewlnnii. was engaged in the dry-goods business,




MR. AND MRS. FRY P. McGEE.



u



,.-'-



LIBRARY



ASTOR, LENOX



mSTOEY OF KANSAS CITY 567

and for a few years was associated with him, so continuing until 1866, when
he sought the opjjortunities of the west. He came to Kansas City with
his brother, who here estabUshod a grocery store, WilUam ]\I. Newham be-
coming a clerk therein. He was thus engaged for several years, after which
he accepted a position as salesman in the dry-goods store of C. H. Moore with
whom he continued until the failure of the house. Mr. Newham afterward
became a clerk in the Gans dry-goods store and later was thus en-
gaged in different establishments of the city until he began business on
his own account in quarrying stone, in that district of the city known as
the west side. This proved a profitable venture but he only continued in
the business for about a year, when ill health forced his withdrawal from
that line of activity. He disposed of his business and from that time after-
ward Ii\cd retired save for the supervision which he gave to the farm owned
by his wife in Kansas, not far from the' city. His health, however, did
not permit close attention to business and he died at his old home at No.
1714 ^lain street, where he long resided, passing away May 28, 1880.

In Kansas City Mr. Newham was married to Miss Annie McGee, whose
birth occurred in the old McGee home at the corner of Nineteenth street
and Baltimore avenue, her parents being Fry P. and ]\Iarth;i (Booth)
McGee, both natives of Kentucky. The former was a son of James H.
McGee, of the Blue Grass state, who removed with his family to Kansas
City about 1827. Since that time the McGees have figured as one of the
most prominent families of the city. James H. McGee. however, passed
away in May, 1840. His son. Fry P. McGee, purchased a farm of one hun-
dred and sixty acress in what is now the heart of the business district of
Kansas City. The land covered the territory w^hich is now intersected by
Nineteenth and Main streets and Baltimore avenue. There Fry P. McGee
burned the brick and erected the first brick house in Kansas City in the
year 1841. His broad acres claimed his attention and his time and energies
were devoted to general agricultural pursuits for several years, after which
he went to the far west, settling in Oregon,' where he carried on farming
for a year. He then returned and purchased a large farm in Osage
county. Kansas, taking up the task of cultivating the fields and bringing
them into a state of rich fertility. Upon his farm he also built a store and
engaged in general merchandising, it being an excellent location, as it was
located on what will always be known in history as the old Santa Fe trail.
There he supplied the wants of the neighborhood with such articles as are
generally found in a general mercantile establishment and also carried on
farming throughout the remainder of his days, both he and his wife resid-
ing at that place until called to the home beyond.

ITnto :\Ir. and Mrs. Newham were born four children: Herbert M.,
the eldest, now traveling salesman for the Pviehl Harness & Saddlery Com-
pany of Kansas City, married Miss Edith Barry and resides at No. 3340
Wabash avenue; Victor M., who is engaged with a grocery company of Kansas
City, wedded Augusta Gifky and makes his home at No. 1714 Main street;
Turner A., a bookkeeper with the George B. Peck Dry Goods Company,
married Bertha Rattie and thev re.<ide with his mother; William A., who



568 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

was killed in a railroad accident in February, 1905, had married Lizzie
Scott and she died in July, 1905, six months after the death of her husband,
leaving a daughter, Elizabeth, who now, at the age of four years, is being
reared by her grandmother, Mrs. Newham.

For a brief period Mr. Newham was' a soldier of the Civil war. His
political allegiance was always given to the democracy and although he
was a member of no society or church he was a man of exemplary habits
and a lover of home, devoted to the welfare of his wife and children, his
personal traits of character being such as gained for him the good will and
trust of all with w^hom he was associated. Following her husband's death
Mrs. Newham continued to reside at the old home at No. 1714 Main street
until about two years ago, when she purchased her present home at No. 3614
Euclid avenue, where she is living with her son and his wife and her
little granddaughter. She also owns other property in the city, together
with one hundred and sixty acres in Osage county, Kansas, from which she
derives a gratifj'ing rental. The name of McGee is known to every pioneer
resident of Kansas City and Jackson county and McGee street, one of the
leading business and residence streets of the city, was named in honor of
th'6 family.



THOMAS M. BARHAM.

Thomas M. Barham, secretary of the W. R. Pickering Lumber Com-
paiiy and thus active in control of one of the extensive lumber interests of
the great Mississippi valley, was born in Greene county, Missouri, February
10, 1867. His father, William F. Barham, was a prominent farmer and
stockman, who married Tennessee Duncan. Both were natives of this state.
The father is now deceased but the mother resides in Ash Grove, Missouri.
The Barhams are one of the old families of this state, the grandfather,
Thomas G. Barham, having settled in Greene county, Missouri, upon his
removal from Virginia in 1828.

Entering school at the usual age, Thomas M. Barham passed through
consecutive grades until he completed his studies by the high school course
at Ash Grove, Missouri, to which place he removed Avith his parents when
twelve years of age. On putting aside his text-books he entered business life
as a clerk in a grocery store, where he continued for six months. He after-
ward spent three years as a salesman in a hardware and implement store at
Ash Grove, Missouri, and for two years was employed in the Bank of Ash
Grove. He next entered the Bank of Springfield at Springfield, Missouri,
where he spent four years as bookkeeper, paying teller and receiving teller.
On the expiration of that period he became a member of the firm and credit
man in the wholesale dry goods house of J. M. Doling Sons & Bell, which
was his business association through the succeeding three and a half years.
He next spent a year and a half as cashier of the Bank of Marionville and
on the 1st of February, 1897, joined the W. R. Pickering Lumber Company
as secretary. He has so continued to the present writing, in 1908, and his



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 569

judgment and ability are highly appreciated by all of his associates in the
Pickering interests, both principles and employes. He is likewise secretary
and treasurer of the Louisiana Central Railroad Company and secretary of
the Pickering Land & Timber Company, while the town of Barham in
Louisiana was named in his honor.

On the 22d of January, 1901, Mr. Barham was married to Miss Beulah
Bills, a daughter of the late Dr. A. R. Bills, of Sulphur Springs, Arkansas.
He has taken all of the degrees in the York Rite of Masonry and is a valued
member of the Kansas City, the Evanston Golf and the Commercial clubs
and the Hoo Hoos. He possesses a social, genial nature w^hich wins him
many friends, and while his business interests are extensive and important
he yet finds time for life's courtesies and the appreciation of its social amen-
ities. His business career has been marked by an orderly progression. He
is a man of well balanced capacities and powers and eminently a man of
business sense, who easily avoids the mistakes and disasters that come to those
who, though possessing remarkable faculties in some respects, are liable to
erratic movements that result in unwarranted risk and failure. He pos-
sesses sufficient courage to venture where a favoring opportunity is presented
and his judgment and even-paced energy generally carry him forward to
the goal of success.



ALBERT M. HUGHES.

Albert M. Hughes, president of the A. M. Hughes Paint & Glass Com-
pany of Kansas City, was born at Brampton, Ontario, Canada, October 12,
1865. His father, William H. Hughes, came to the United States in 1869
and resided in Missouri and Texas prior to coming to Kansas City, where he
made his home and was for many years engaged in business as a real-estate
dealer.

Albert M, Hughes of this review entered business life as an employe in
the paint-manufacturing house of Campbell & Cutler, of Kansas City, in
1881, and there mastered the business, becoming familiar with it in principle
and detail. He continued in that line in the employ of others for eight years
and then embarked in business on his own account in 1889 as a member of
the firm of Sewall & Hughes. That relation was maintained for six years,
when in 1895 he withdrew and organized the A. M. Hughes Paint & Glass
Company, of which he became president, with Hutton Crater, as vice presi-
dent. W. J. Hughes as treasurer and C. H. Hughes as secretary, the last two
being brothers of our subject. The business was originally capitalized for
ten thousand dollars but in 1897 this was increased to twenty-five thousand
and in 1899 to sixty thousand dollars. In the latter year they moved into
their new building with thirty thousand square feet of floor space at Twenty-
fourth street and Broadway, while the city office is at No. 1204-6 Walnut
street. The factory is the largest of the kind west of the Mississippi river
and the products number about forty. Supplies are handled in the jobbing



570 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

department and the trade extends to California and to Mexico. In 190-4 the
capital stock was increased to one hundred thousand dollars, and they moved
into a new factory at Xo. 2107 to 2115 Broadway and today have the largest
paint factory west of Chicago, ^h. Hughes and his associates are members
of the Manufacturers Association of Kansas City and he is well known in
business circle,s as one whose development and rise in the commercial world
is due to his possession of those substantial qualities of energy, perseverance
and well directed effort, which have constituted a safe foundation upon which
to build success.



JUDGE EDWARD LUCKY SCARRITT.

In Judge Edward Lucky Scarritt Kansas City has a citizen entitled to
threefold prominence — an able lawyer, a successful business man and a noted
philanthropist. In all of these worthy lines he is justly disting-uished and
yet wears his honors with becoming modesty. Few are the men who have
done as much for mankind as has Judge Scarritt but it would never be
aUowu were it left for him to tell. His business interests have been of a
character that have contributed to general development and prosperity as
well as to individual success and in the accumulation of wealth he has never
been neglectful of his duties and obligations to his fellowmen but on the
contrary with helpful spirit has put forth earnest and effective labor to
ameliorate the hard conditions of life for the unfortunate. He is moreover
one of the able and distinguished lawvers of Kansas Citv and a native son
of Jackson county, his birth having occurred near his present residence on
the 30th of August, 1853. He is the eldest son of the Rev. Dr. Xathan
Scarritt. His paternal grandparents, removing westward from New Hamp-
shire, became residents of Alton. Illinois, and Dr. Nathan Scarritt. leaving
the old homestead in 1848, came to Westport Landing. He Avas thereafter
prominently identified with the city's development and progress along ma-
terial, intellectual and moral lines, leaving his impress upon the community
in a way which time cannot obliterate, while many hold his memory rev-
erently in their hearts. The maternal grandfather of Edward L. Scarritt
was Colonel "William ^l. Chick, who came to the west from Virginia in 1840
and was one of the original proprietors of the town of Kansas, now Kan-
sas City.

At the usual age Edward L. Scarritt became a public-school student,
passing through successive grades until he had completed the high school
course, subsequent to which time he continued his literary education in
Pritchett Institute at Gla.-gow, Mi.^.-ouri. For one year he was a student in
the law school of Harvard University and further continued his preparation
for the bar with Warwick Hough, later supreme judge of Missouri, as his
preceptor, being admitted to the bar at Kansas City in September. 1873.
While studying law he spent two years in business as a tobacco buyer and
stock breeder in Jloward countv. Mi.-.souri.



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 571

Mr. Scarritt began the practice of his chosen profession at Glasgow,
Missouri, in 1875 as junior partner in the firm of Caples & Scarritt but, seek-
ing a broader field of labor, in January, 1877, he located for practice in
Kansas City, where he afterward formed a partnership with W. A. Alderson
under the firm style of Scarritt & Alderson. At a later date he joined a
former fellow student, J. R. Riggins, as senior partner of the firm of Scarritt