Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 55 of 65)
Online LibraryCarrie Westlake WhitneyKansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) → online text (page 55 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


& Riggins, which relationship was maintained until 1882, when he began
practice with his brother, William C. Scarritt. Subsequently his brother-
in-law, Elliott H. Jones, and Colonel J. K. Griffith were admitted to the firm
under the name of Scarritt, Griffith & Jones. ''The boy is father to the
man" is a truth certainh^ demonstrated in the career of Edward L. Scarritt.
His early life and character gave indication of his future usefulness. He
has never aimed at ephemeral brillicincy or signal momentary results but
at a thoughtful and careful avoidance of fatal mistakes and at permanent
achievements. He has succeeded in all respects which constitute success as
an attorney at law, a result attained by a devotion to his profession and close
attention to his business. The outcome is not the result of chance but
eventuates from his native abilities, which he has cultivated and given
direction to and he has made good use of his opportunities. In the walks
of life where intelligence, honor and manliness are regarded at their real
worth he has by the practice of these virtues attained an honorable position
at the bar and in the connnunity and won the respect of all who know him.
of the Kansas City State Bank and has been identified with street railway
perity of Kansas City. He was one of the incorporators and is a director

Mr. Scarritt has been active in the commercial development and pros-
building as an incorporator of the Northeast Street Railway Company, now a
part of the Metropolitan Street Railway System. He assisted in founding
the Kansas City Law School and for several years has been an instructor in
that institution. The only political offices he has held have been in the direct
path of his profession. In 1885 he was appointed city councilor and in
1888-9 was a member of the board of freeholders to draft the city charter,
acting as secretary of that board. In 1892, when but thirty-eight years of
age, he was elected judge of the first division of the sixteenth judicial cir-
cuit of Missouri for a term of six years. As few men have done, he has
seemed to realize the importance of the profession to which he has devoted
his energies and the fact that justice and the higher attribute of mercy he
often holds in his hands. Aside from any service which he has rendered
the city through professional or other business lines or in political service,
he has done much for its welfai-e through his cooperation with those move-
ments which take into consideration man's moral nature and his oppor-
tunities for character development. There is no good work either in the
name of charity or the advancement of religion which does not find in him
an earnest and material helper. He assisted his father in establishing the
Scarritt Bible & Training School. His father was on his deathbed when he
received a telegram from the :Methodist Woman's Board of Missions ac-
cepting his offer concerning the establishment of this school and although
the will made no provision for the work his heirs, loyal to his wishes, carried



572 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

out his idea;- and through the efforts of Edward L. Scarritt, his brother, W.
C. Scarritt, and Bishop E. R. Hendrix the project was advanced to success-
ful completion.

Mr. Scarritt was married in 1880 to Miss Margaret Morris, a daughter
of Dr. Joel T. Morris, one of the pioneer physicians of Westport. They have
one daughter, Bernice, the wife of W. E. Royster, now commercial agent
for the Mobile & Ohio Railroad. Mr. Scarritt is a genial, courteous gentle-
man, a pleasant, entertaining companion and has many stanch and admiring
and a gentleman of attractive social qualities, he stands high in the estimation
friends among all classes. As an energetic, upright and conscientious lawyer
of the entire community.



THOMAS J. B. PAIN.



Thomas J. B. Pain, who since 1892 has been secretary of the Campbell
Glass & Paint Company of Kansas City, was born in London, England,
October 28, 1849. His father, Thomas John Brooks Pain, was a merchant^
and wedded Sarah Knight. While spending his boyhood days in their home
in the world's metropolis, Thomas J. B. Pain, Jr., pursued a public-school
education, and at the age of thirteen entered the office of Cassel, Petter &
Galpin, proprietors of a large publishing house, in Avhich he remained until
1869.

In that year he came to America and immediately took up his residence
in Kansas City, where he has since made his home. He served an appren-
ticeship to the carpenter's trade under Captain Joseph H. Fink, and in 1874
became connected with the paint business in the service of John A. McDon-
ald. For eight years he continued in that house, thoroughly acquainting
himself with the trade in principle and detail. He left that employ in 1882
to accept a position with the firm of Campbell & Cutler in the same line, and
upon the division of the business and the organization of the Campbell
Glass & Paint Company in 1892, he became secretary of the latter, which
office he still holds. AVhen the business w'as organized they had only one
competitor in the paint line in Kansas City, while today, owing to the rapid
growth of the city, they now have thirty. They have ever remained in a
position of leadership, however, and are not only among the largest whole-
sale and retail dealers in all kinds of gla&s, paints and varnishes, but have also
established an art glass factory, in which they make mirrors, beveled glass and
art glass for both domestic and church work, having in their service from
sixty to sixty-five employes. They have established branch houses at St.
Louis and New Orleans, each doing a business nearly as large as that of the
parent house, and their traveling representatives cover the territory from
Virginia to the Pacific coast and from the state of Washington to Mexico
City.

On the 23d of May. 1882, Mr. Pain was married to Miss Charlotte A.
Saunders, a daughter of Thorndyko Saunders, a dry-goods merchant of New




THOMAS J. B. PAIN.



T'.E NtV/ YORK
J3:JC LIBRARY



•p. LENOX

11.. : r. i9.\TroN=^,



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 575

York city. They now have one child, Lily Muriel, at home. Mr. Pain is
a member of the Elks, the Kansas City Club and the Conunercial Club He
votes with the democracy, and although he is not active as a worker in the
ranks of the party, he never fails to do his duty at the polls in support of
the candidates for office. He holds membership in St. ^hiry's Episcopal
church of which he is a vestryman and junior warden. His life has been a
busy and useful one and extensive conunercial pursuits have claimed his
attention.



GEORGE W. SCHOLEY, JR.

George W. Scholey, Jr., was a well known real-estate dealer of Kansas
City and a representative of a pioneer family, arriving here in his boyhood
days when his father came to Kansas City in 1867. Here he continued to
reside until his life's labors were ended in death. There was nothing narrow
or contracted in his nature. He manifested in all his relations the same
breadth of vision and extended scope of activity that marked his business
career, and his salient characteristics commanded for him the admiration and
regard of those with whom he was associated.

A native of Muscatine, Iowa, Mr. Scholey was born September 22, 1(850,
his parents being George W. and Martha A. (Gibson) Scholey, the latter a
native of Columbus, Ohio, and the former of Williamsburg, New Jersey. In
early life the father came to the middle west, settling at Muscatine, Iowa,
where he resided until 1867, when he came with the family to Kansas City,
where for many years he was engaged in the real-estate business. His opera-
tions were so carefully conducted, his investments so judiciously placed,
that he became very successful, continuing as one of the leading real-estate
dealers of the city until a few years ago, when he gave up all business pur-
suits and has since lived a retired life, now making his home at No. 2833
Woodland avenue. Although he has attained the age of eighty-six years and
the snows of many w'inters have whitened his hair, he is yet very active and
in spirit and interests seems yet in his prime. His wife died here January
2, 1889.

At the usual age George W. Scholey, Jr., began his education in the
public schools of Muscatine, and to some extent attended school after the
removal of the family to Kansas City. He also attended the University of
Kansas for three years. Determining upon the practice of medicine as a
life work, he became a student in the Kansas City Medical College, in which
he pursued a full course and then entered upon active practice in connection
with Dr. Taylor, who was a prominent pioneer physician and surgeon here.
Dr. Scholey, however, continued in the profession for only a brief period,
Avlien he withdrew in order to concentrate his energies upon the real-e.state
business, seeing in this a profitable field of labor. He had the prescience to
dL-^cern what the future had in store for this great and growing portion of
the country and made extensive investments in property and negotiated
many important realty transfers.



576 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

In early manhood Mr. Scholey made arrangements for establishing a
home of his own by his marriage to ]\Iiss Mary Elizabeth Keefer, a native of
Columbia City, Indiana, and a daughter of Jacob Wesley and Maria Jane
(Fetter) Keefer. Her mother was a native of Lancaster, Ohio, and of Pennsyl-
vania parentage. Mr. Keefer was born in Chambersburg, Franklin county,
Pennsylvania, May 22, 1822, a son of Joseph and Rebecca (Fulk) Keefer, who
were natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia, respectively, and spent their
married life in the Keystone state, but both are now deceased. Their son,
Jacob W. Keefer, was married three times. He first wedded Mi^s Charlotte
Rudasill, of Franklin county, Pennsylvania, who died about a year later.
For his second wife he chose Miss Esther Jones, an old schoolmate and friend
of his youth, and she, too, passed away about a year after their marriage.
His third wife was Miss Maria Jane Fetter. Jacob Wesley Keefer spent his
boyhood days in his native state and at Murphysburg, Pennsylvania, where
he and a brother learned the carpenter's trade. In 1842 they sought a home
and business opportunities in the midle west, going to Fort Wayne, Indiana,
where he worked at his trade a year and a half, during which time he as-
sisted in building the old St. Joseph mill. Later he removed to Columbia
City, Indiana, where he resided for twenty years, engaged in business as a
merchant. He followed those pursuits in different towns in that section of
the state but made Columbia City his home for two decades, and in his
business operations he was very successful, saving from his earnings over
forty thousand dollars. He then decided to come to the west and made his
way to Osceola, Missouri, where two years previoiLsly he had placed invest-
ments in business enterprises. He remained there, however, for only a short
time, after which he visited Sedalia, Jefferson City and other Missouri towns,
while eventually, at the close of the Civil war, he took up his abode in Kan-
sas City. Here he embarked in general merchandising at Main and Fourth
streets, and later at Main and Ninth streets, managing the store, the stock
belonging to his brother, who was engaged in a jobbing trade in Kansas
City. Mr. Keefer afterward became interested in the real-estate business and
at the junction of Main and Delaware streets he purchased some business
lots for five hundred dollars each that he afterward sold for one hundred
thousand dollars. The rise in realty gave him his financial start in Kansas City
and he became recognized as one of the leading and progressive business men.
Upon its organization he took considerable stock in the German Savings Bank
and thus became a factor in financial circles. He also engaged in building
various fine residences here and also erected the Keefer Hall. His property
returned him a good revenue from his investments and the growth of the
city constantly advanced its price. He likewise made investments in orange
ranches in California, engaged in loaning money and became interested in
a number of different business concerns, but his real-estate operations claimed
the greater part of his time and energies throughout the remainder of his
life. He was rarely if ever at fault in matters of judgment concerning
property values and the possibilities for advance or diminution in price and
thus his purchases and sales were judiciously made. He continued a resident
of Kansas City until his death in 1897, his wife surviving him for seven years



. HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 577

and passing away in 1904. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity
and also of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In early life his political
allegiance was given to the whig party and later he became a democrat, on
which ticket he was elected to the city council and served for two terms, his
elections occurring in 1867 and 1871. In office he proved loyal to the best
interests of the community and supported many progressive public measures
which were of material benefit to the city. Both he and his wife were mem-
bers of the German Reformed church and he lived in harmony with his
profession in every relation of life. While he attained wealth and became
a prominent resident of Kansas City, he was never known to take advantage
of the necessities of another in any business transaction but on the contrary
followed methods which neither required nor sought disguise.

George W. Scholey, Jr., engaged in the real-estate business, buying and
selling all kinds of city property and also building upon much unimproved
property, thus adding to the development and growth of the city. Extending
his investments, he was at length the owner of much valuable real estate all
over the city and he continued to operate in that line until his death, which
occurred April 13, 1901. Beside his widow he left a daughter, Edith M.,
wife of Clarence A. Hartman, of Des Moines, Iowa. He was devoted to the
welfare of his little family and did everything in his power to promote their
happiness, counting no personal sacrifice on his part too great if it would
advance their best interests. In politics he was a republican, believing in
the principles of the party yet never an office seeker. He belonged to the
Masonic fraternity here and both he and his wife were members of the Second
Presbyterian church. In manner he was congenial, companionable and
entertaining, and association with him meant pleasure, expansion and ele-
vation.



SAMUEL EVERETT WOODSTOCK.

The world instinctively pays deference to the man whose success has
been worthily achieved, who in all life's relations has been found faithful to
duty, meeting every obligation conscientiously and honorably and keeping
every engagement. Such has been the record of Samuel Everett Woodstock,
president of the Woodstock-Hoefer Wholesale Jewelry Company of Kansas
City. In his entire business career there is not one esoteric phase. On the con-
trary his business methods are such as every successful and honorable man has
followed, his commercial career being characterized by clo.se and unremitting
application, by strong purpose and undoubted commercial integrity.

Born in Putnam, Washington county. New York, on the 3d of Decem-
ber, 1846, he was a son of William Everett Woodstock, a native of New
England and of English descent. The grandfather, William Woodstock, came
from Woodstock, England, to the new world and served as a drummer boy
in the Revolutionary war. The mother of Samuel E. Woodstock bore the
maiden name of Mary A. Easton. She was also a native of Putnam, New
York, and a representative of a very old Scotch family of strict Presbyterian



578 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

faith. She died when her son Everett was ten years of age and by his father's
death he was left an orphan at the age of fourteen.

.Vfter making his home with an aunt in Putnam for three years he
came west at the age of seventeen years and clerked for a time in a book store
in Iowa City, Iowa. Ambitious, however, for further educational opportuni-
ties that he might be better equipped for the responsible duties of life, he en-
tered the Iowa State University. When he left that institution he engaged
with G. W. Marquardt, a retail jew^eler of Iowa City, who a little later, desiring
to enter a larger field, removed to Des Moines, Iowa, and established a whole-
sale jewelry house. Mr, Woodstock accompanied him as manager of the new
establishment and under his control the business grew very rapidly, soon
becoming the most prominent jewelry house in that section. He continued
in charge of the business until 1886.

Two years later Mr. Woodstock came to Kansas City and with C. C. Hoe-
fer here established the Woodstock-Hoefer Wholesale Jewelry Company, since
which time he has devoted his entire energies to his duties a& president and
manager. For many years he conducted the management alone, while Mr.
Hoefer attended to the sales, representing the house on the road. As the bus-
iness increased, however, it became necessary for Mr. Hoefer to give up the
road several years ago and devote his attention to the office as well. They
now have one of the largest wholesale jewelry establishments west of the
Mississippi river and employ a large corps of salesmen, covering all of the
western states. Mr. Woodstock is recognized by his business associates and
colleagues as a man of remarkable ability, sound judgment and keen sagacity.
He has been watchful of all the indications pointing to success, has been
quick to abandon methods which have proven of little value and to intro-
duce those whose worth constitutes an element in the success of the house.

In 1899 occurred the marriage of Mr. Woodstock and j\Irs. Zerelda
Bowen Beach, of Washington, D. C, a daughter of Dr. Bowen, a prominent
physician, who was adjutant general of the state of Iowa at the outbreak of
the Civil war and served as paymaster during the period of hostilities, after
which he retired to his farm near Iowa City, Iowa, where he resided ujitil
his death in 1882. He was a Virginian by birth. Mrs. Woodstock is promi-
nent in the highest social circles of Kansas City and has always taken an
active part in club and church work, at the same time carefully supervising
the affairs of her household. She has served as president of the Kansas City
Athenaeum for two years and has for many years been secretary of the wo-
men's auxiliary of the diocese of western Missouri, the missionary society of
the Episcopalian church.

Mr. Woodstock is a republican, voting with the party but otherwise not
active in political circles. He finds his chief recreation in golf and is an en-
thusiastic member of the Evanston Golf Club. The high esteem in which he
is held by all those who know^ him and the unfaltering devotion of those
in his service and who have been connected with him in business are the
best possible proofs of his upright character. He is one of the best balanced
because one of the most self-masterful of men. He has never been known
to lose control of his temper or utter an angry word and his just and consid-



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 579

erate treatment of those who serve him and his sympathy and interest in all
whom he judges deserving is one of the elements of his success. He is a
liberal donor to various worthy charities but his greatest philanthropy has
been in the line of private aid, of which none but himself and the recipient
of his assistance knows. Many young men owe their success in a measure to
his assistance and to his encouragement. He possesses indeed a broad human-
itarian spirit, together with the truest conception of the American idea of
"the common brotherhood of man."



WALTER M. JACCARD.

As the name Tiffany figures as the synonym of the highest possible
attainment in the jewelry trade in the east, so has the name of Jaccard come
to be recognized in the middle west, and Walter M. Jaccard, as president of
the Jaccard Jewelrj^ Company of Kansas City, is notable as a representative
of commercial interests in this line. He was born in St. Louis, Missouri,
May 10, 1870.

His father, D. C. Jaccard, was a native of Switzerland, but the family
is of French lineage, descended from the nobility of France, whence they
were driven as Huguenots at a period of religious persecution and settled
in Switzerland. The French coat of arms is still in use in the family. D,
C. Jaccard came to America in 1845 and was Swiss consul at St. Louis until
his death in 1899. Following the Civil war he established the firm of D.
C. Jaccard & Company, jewelers, which has of late years/ been known as
the Mermod-Jaccard Jewelry Company, the best known house of this char-
acter in St. Louis. In 1888 he established the Jaccard Watch & Jewelry
Company at Kansas City, in which his St. Louis partners were not interested.
His wife, who bore the maiden name of Louise A. Chipron, was a native of
Paris and a daughter of A. P. De Pessigny, of an old French^ family of
noble origin. She, came to America prior to her marriage.

Walter M. Jaccard pursued his education in Smith Academy in St.
Louis, a branch of the Washington University, from which he was gradu-
ated at the age of sixteen years. He then began to fit himself for the jewelry
business by pursuing a course in a horological institute, after which he
worked in his father's establishment in St. Louis until August, 1888. He
then came to Kansas City as secretary of the firm which his father had just
established here and of which his brother, Eugene G. E. Jaccard, was presi-
dent. In 1895 Eugene Jaccard retired and the business was reorganized by
Walter Jaccard as the Jaccard Jewelry Corporation, of which he became
president. In 1902 he was joined by a brother, Ernest A. Jaccard, who up
to that time had been a director in the St. Louis firm and was the last of
the family to sever his connection with that concern. He is now vice presi-
dent of the Kansas City house. From a comparatively small beginning at
the time of the reorganization, this business, under the management of Wal-
ter Jaccard, has developed very rapidly until today it stands alone in this
section of the countrv bv reason of the extent of the trade and the class of



680 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

business conducted. Through European connections estabhshed by the fam-
ily many year^j ago the firm has had an advantage in the foreign markets
in the selection of jewelry which, together with the growth of the business,
led them into the importation of European goods, especially diamonds. In
this respect they occupy the unique position of being the only direct im-
porters of diamonds between Chicago and San Francisco. The house is one
of the most attractive in the commercial center of Kansas City. Its fine line
of jewelry and precious gems, attractively displayed, indicate much that is
artistically pleasing, w^hile the business of the house is represented by a
large investment and extensive sales. Mr. Jaccard is also interested in vari-
ous other local financial and commercial enterprises, his cooperation being
sought by reason of a recognition of his excellent business ability.

Mr. Jaccard married Miss Gertrude E. Hudson, a daughter of M. H.
Hudson, one of the old pioneers and prominent business men of Kansas
City. He is a director in the National Bank of Commerce and belongs to
the Commercial Club and to the Merchants & Manufacturers Association,
through which connections he has done much to promote business progress
and the development of the city. He is also a member of the Country Club,
Mid-Day Club, and of the Presbyterian church, while his political alle-
giance is given to the republican party. He is a lover of travel and outdoor
sports and each year goes to Europe on a trip in which he combines busi-
ness w^ith pleasure and sightseeing. His friends know him as a generous,
cordial, upright man. who holds their earnest devotion.



PHILIP SETZLER.



Philip Setzler is the senior partner of the firm of P. Setzler & Sons,
proprietors of the Silver Rock Bottling Works of Kansas City. He was born
in Ungstein, Palatine, Germany, November 28, 1836, his parents being
Philip Lawrence and Susanna Magdeline Setzler, who were also natives of
Ungstein. The father was a wine-grower and manufacturer of dies for copper-
plate printing. In 1820 he was married and with his family came to America
in 1857, settling at Cleveland, Ohio, where he lived a life of retirement from
active business. Later he and his wife removed to Bellevue, Ohio, where



Online LibraryCarrie Westlake WhitneyKansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) → online text (page 55 of 65)