Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 56 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Mr. Setzler passed away in 1878 at the age of eight-five years, the mother
surviving until 1885, when she, too, died at the age of eighty-five years.

Philip Setzler was provided with liberal educational privileges, being
graduated from a high school of his native country in 1851. He afterward
devoted a few years to the study of landscape gardening and fruit culture
and then, thinking to enjoy better business opportunities in the new world,
he came to America in 1855, settling in Cleveland, Ohio, where he engaged
in merchandising for about a year. He then removed to Bellevue, Ohio,
where in connection with his brother, he conducted a drug store. In 1861
he removed to Leavenworth, Kansas, and was engaged in the grocery busi-




PHILIP SETZLER.



"" "i^ N£V/ YORK
^BLIC LIBRARY



ASTOR, LENOX

I'lLDCN FOUKRATIONsI



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 583

ness for a short time, while a year was devoted to general farming in Nemaha
county, Kansas.

In March, 1862, Mr. Setzler arrived in Kansas City, where he engaged
in the liquor, wine and cigar business in partnership with A. Wolf on North
Main street. After a short time, however, he sold out and invested his money
in four acres of land on Independence avenue between Bales avenue and
Monroe street in this city. This he planted to grapes and began the manufac-
ture of cider and native wines. He continued in that business until 188-1,
when he branched out into the manufacture of soda and all kinds of mineral
waters. He and his three sons, Louis Philip, Charles Martin and AVilliam
Herman, constitute the present firm of P. Setzler & Sons, proprietors of the
Silver Rock Bottling Works. The business has grown to extensive propor-
tions and is now one of the profitable productive industries of the city.

On the loth of March, 1864, at Kansas City, Mr. Setzler was married
to Miss Philamena Hauk, a daughter of Anthony and Josephine Hauk and a
native of Maehren, Austria, born June 5, 1844. She attended school in
Austria in early girlhood and in May, 1859, came to America to live with
her sister, Mrs. Louisa Esslinger in Westport, with whom she remained up to
the time of her marriage. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Setzler have been born the
following named: Wilhelmina, Louis P., Amelia Magdeline, Charles Martin,
Mrs. Caroline La Rue, William Herman, Edie May and Edward Allen. All
are yet residents of Kansas City and were educated in the public schools here,
and with the exception of Charles and William all are members of the Mel-
rose Methodist Episcopal church of this city.

Mr. Setzler is a valued member of McPherson Post, G. A. R., his right
of connection therewith being due to his service as a soldier of the Civil war.
At the time of hostilities he became a member of Company B, Seventy-seventh
Enrolled Militia of Missouri, and continued, with that command throughout
the war. He is an honored member of Humboldt Lodge, No. 4, K. P., and
has a very wide acquaintance in Kansas City, where he has now resided for
forty-five years, being one of its early residents and now one of its oldest
business men. He has never had occasion to regret his determination to come
to the new world, for here he has found the business opportunities which he
sought and through their utilization has gained a place among the repre-
sentative and prosperous German-American residents of this city.



GEORGE W. EVANS.

George W. Evans, president of the Evans-Smith Drug Company, one
of Kansas City's largest wholesale drug houses, was born on a farm in Lin-
coln county, Kentucky, July 29, 1865, a son of George W. and Mary C.
(Owsley) Evans. The father a farmer and trader, died during the boy-
hood of his son George, who in the public schools of Kentucky and in Cen-
ter College at Danville, that state, pursued his education. He worked in a
retail dry-goods store and also a retail drug store during the periods of vaca-



584 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

tion, and when nineteen years of age came to the west. This was in the
year 1884. After spending six months in Denver and in Kansas City he
returned to Kentucky, where he remained for a short time and in 1885
again came to Kansas City.

Upon his return here he worked in the Diamond Drug Store, of which
his brother, H. W. Evans, was proprietor, and at the same time attended
a course of lectures in the pharmaceutical college vrhich had recently been
established here. He afterward matriculated in the Philadelphia College
of Pharmacy, and upon the completion of his studies there became a part-
ner of his brother under the firm style of Evans Brothers in 1887. They
conducted the Diamond Drug Store until 1898, Avhen they disposed of their
retail business and with J. A. Gallagher organized the Evans-Gallagher
Drug Company, successors to the Meyer Brothers Drug Company. Mr. Evans
then went upon the road as traveling representative of the house, so contin-
uing until 1896. He then engaged in the manufacturing business in Chi-
cago for a year, still retaining his interest in the wholesale drug house
here. In 1898 he returned and purchased Mr. Gallagher's interest, and the
business was then reorganized under the style of the Evans-Smith Drug
Company, with H. W. Evans as president; J. L. Smith, vice president; G.
W. Evans, secretary; and W. V. Wherrett, treasurer. George W. Evans
continued as secretary and buyer until May, 1906, when, his brother be-
coming ill, he assumed the duties of the presidency, and in January, 1907,
was elected president and manager following the demise of his brother.
This is the oldest drug house between the Mississippi river and the coast.
When they succeeded Meyer Brothers in 1893 the annual business amounted
to a half million dollars. Today it was thrice that amount. They have a
large force of salesmen covering the southwest and the business is constantly
expanding. Mr. Evans is also a director of the Pioneer Trust Company of
Kansas City and the Mexican Consolidating Company of the city of Mex-
ico, and is interested in the Missouri and Kansas Interurban Railway, on
which line he owns a three hundred acre farm, four and a half miles south
of the city, where he makes his home in summer, while the winter months
are spent at the Baltimore Hotel. In 1900 he was president of the local
Paint, Oil & Drug Association, and was its delegate to the Pan-American
Exposition at Buffalo.

On the 3d of December, 1898, Mr. Evans was married to Eleanor
Thornton, a daughter of the late Colonel J. T. Thornton, president of the
Traders' National Bank, now the Union National Bank of Kansas City, of
which Mrs. Evans' brother-in-law, E. W. Zea, formerly secretary of the
Evans-Smith Drug Company, is cashier. Mrs. Evans was born in San An-
tonio, Texas, where her father was a prominent banker and ranchman be-
fore coming to Kansas City.

Mr. Evans is a democrat in political opinion, but is not active in party
work. He is a member of the Kansas City, University, Country and Elm
Ridge Clubs, and has regard for the social amenities and pleasures of life.
Int-erested in all public movements, he is an active and valued member of
the Commercial Club, and in January. 1908, was one of its delgates to the



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 585

Missouri River Congress at Sioux City, Iowa. Prompted by a laudable am-
bition, he has from the outset of his business career made it his purpose to
advance, year by year, the field of his activity, constantly widening as each
fonvard step brings him a broader outlook and greater opportunities. His
ready solution of intricate business problems has enabled him' to meet and
overcome difficulties and obstacles and to gradually advance to a place among
the foremost representatives of commercial life in Kansas City.



HENRY P. LENG.



Henry P. Leng is now living practically retired at No. 1425 Oak street,
but for many years led a most busy and active life. He was born April 25,
1834, in the city of Gessen, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, his father being
Conrad Leng, a house carpenter, who died in that country. His wife also
passed away in Germany. They were the parents of four children, of w^hom
Henry P. is the eldest. Justus, who married and reared a family, is now a
member of the Soldiers' Home at Leavenworth, Kansas, having enlisted
from St. Louis and served as a soldier in the Civil war. Mary is the wife
of Joseph Home, of St. Louis. William, who enlisted from St. Louis, was
killed in battle during the hostilities between the north and the south, and
was buried at Jefferson Barracks.

Henry P. Leng pursued his education as a public-school student until
he reached the age of fourteen years, and then learned the trades of cabinet-
making and house carpentering with his father. The opportunities of the
new world attracted him, and at the age of twenty years he came to the
United States, landing at New Orleans, whence he made his way up the
Mississippi river to St. Louis. There he worked for some time at his trade.

While living in that city he was married on the 12th of March, 1864, to
Miss Mary Gunther, who was born in Schwartzwald. Wurtemberg, Germany,
July 2, 1842, and was brought to the United States when about ten years of
age by her mother and stepfather, together wdth her brothers and sisters. Her
father, Michael Gunther, had died in Germany, where he had followed the
occupation of farming. His widow, Mrs. Theresa Gunther, afterward became
the wife of Joseph Behney, who brought his wife and her children to the new
world. They landed at New Orleans and thence made their way northward
to St. Louis, where both Mr. and Mrs. Behney died. Mrs. Leng was one of
four children: Kate, who became the wife of August Hirschfeld and died
in St. Louis; John, a soldier of the Civil war, who was wounded in battle
and is now married and lives in Belleville, Illinois; Andrew^, who was killed
in the last battle of the Civil war; and Mrs. Gunther. By her second mar-
riage the mother of these children had three more children.

Two years after his marriage Henry P. Leng came to Kansas City and
purchased a lot with one hundred feet frontage on Oak street between Four-
teenth and Fifteenth streets. There he built a story and a half house of
two rooms. That he was one of the early residents of the city is indicated



586 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

by the fact that his home, Avas in the midst of the woods. When his finan-
cial resources had somewhat increased he put an addition to the house. He
began work here in the manufacture of ice chests and later on had a little
cabinet shop of his own. At one time ha was in partner-hip with a ^Ir.
Austin and Mr. Ellenberger, their shop being located at the corner of ^ixth
and Wjmndotte streets. Mr. Leng afterward worked in Little Weston, Mis-
souri, being employed in a chair factory there for a year, after which he
returned to Kansas City and "worked in the furniture factory of Kevill &
Turner, with whom he remained for fifteen vears. Since that time he has
been doing odd jobs in his little shop at home, but is now practically living
retired in the enjoyment of a rest which he has truly earned and richly
deserves.

Since coming to Kansas City Mr. and Mrs. Leng, as times and condi-
tions have improved and the city has grown in their direction, erected houses
on their plot of land on Oak street, building four different dwellings there.
Their own home was built in 1886. Unto their marriage were born four
children. Bertha, a native of St, Louis, was only a year old when brought
by her parents to Kansas City. She here attended the Humboldt public school.
She was married twice, becoming in 1887 the wife of William E. Rieke, who
died in 1889 at San Bernardino, California. She wtis married again in 1895
to Louis B. Spiekerman, who passed away in 1903. Unto that marriage there
were born two daughters, Marie Gertrude and Emma Frances. Henry Wil-
liam, the second member of the Leng family, was born October 15, 1866,
and yet resides in Kansas City. Emma is the wife of Charles E. Fahlsing,
of Kansas City, and they have one daughter, Bertha. Matilda died in 1881
at the age of five and a half years.

Mr. Leng was reared in the Lutheran faith, while his wife was reared in
the Catholic faith. In politics he has been a stanch republican since he
came to the new world and studied (he political situation of the country. He
has never had occasion to regret his determination to try his fortune here,
for he found the business opportunities which he sought and by reason of
unfaltering diligence and capable workmanship he was always enabled to
command good positions, and is now enjoying wvW earned rest.



GRANT I. ROSENZWEIG.

Grant I. Rosenzweig, successfully conducting a general civil law })rac-
tice in Kansas City, was born in Erie, Pennsyhania., September 15, 1865,
and is a representative of one of the old families of that state, the Rosen-
zweigs having been known there for more than a cenlui'v. TIi.< parents are
Louis and IMinnie (Newberger) Rosenzweig, the former a native of Penn-
sylvania, who is still practicing as an attorney of Erie. His wife was born
in Grant county, Indiana, where licr father was oiw of the early settlers and
held a patent to one hundred and .<ixty aci'es of land from the LTnited
States government, developing lluav a farm whieli is still, in possession of



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 587

the family. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Louis Rosenzweig were born four children,
of whom Grant 1. is the eldest, the others being Mrs. Fred Davison, of
Schenectady, New York; Bert, who is engaged in the oil business at Cleve-
land, Ohio; and Mrs. I. E. Levi, who died recently at her home in Los An-
geles, California.

Grant I. Rosenzweig pursued his elementary education in the ward and
high schools of Erie, Pennsylvania, and completed his more specifically lit-
erary course by graduation from Yale in 1887 with the Master of Arts degree.
He was one of the first rank of eight pupils who gained the philosophical
or highest grade and was selected on competitive examination as one of six
to deliver one of the graduation orations. Immediately following his grad-
uation Mr. Rosenzweig came to Kansas City, where he entered a law office
in order to supplement his theoretical training by practical experience, and
spent two years in that way. He was then admitted to the bar at Kansas
City, two years later was admitted to practice in the state supreme court and
the local United States courts and in 1902 was admitted to the United States
supreme court. INIr. Rosenzweig began practice alone and afterward formed
a partnership with Herbert F. Doggett, which was terminated two years
later by the death of Mr. Doggett, since which time Mr. Rosenzweig has
again been alone in general civil law practice. He has handled the legal
interests of many of the large corporations of the city and has devoted his
energies entirely to his practice. He prepares his cases with great thorough-
ness and care, and now has an extensive and distinctively representative cli-
entage. That his knowledge of the law is comprehensive and exact is a
widely acknowledged fact, and his fellow practitioners accord him a promi-
nent place in legal circles.

On the 19th of October, 1893, Mr. Rosenzweig was married to Miss
Mathilde Rosenberg, of Kansas City. He votes with the democracy, but is
not an active worker in politics. Fraternally he is connected with the
Masons, the Knights of Pythias, the Elks, the United Workmen and the
Royal Arcanum, and is also a member of B'nai B'rith. He is a man of wide
general information, and in this is found one of the strong elements of his
power and ability as a lawyer. This broad knowledge enables him to under-
stand life in its various phases, the motive springs of human conduct and
the complexity of business interests, which, combined with a comprehensive
familiarity with legal principles, constitutes him one of the strong attorneys
at the Kansas City bar.



ELMER A. HOLTZ.



Elmer A. Holtz, a prominent real-estate man, belonging to one of the
best known firms in this line in the city— the Waller & Holtz Realty Com-
pany, was born in Johnson county, Indiana, June 23, 1867. His father,
William Holtz, was a contractor and builder, who was a native of Pennsyl-
vania. The paternal grandfather came from Hanover, Germany, to America



588 w HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

in 1827 and settled in York county, Pennsylvania. The mother of our sub-
ject bore the maiden name of Mell Victoria Wilson. She is a native of Ohio
and a niece of Senator Wilson, of Bellaire, that state.

At the usual age Elmer A. Holtz became a pupil in the public schools
of his native county and afterward attended De Pauw University at Green-
castle, Indiana. In 1887 he arrived in Kansas City and entered the real-
estate office of J. E. McElroy & Company, remaining with that firm for four
years, during which time he gained intimate knowledge of the real-estate
business. He next entered the Kansas City office of William Deering & Com-
pany as manager of the collection department and was thus engaged until
1905. when he resigned to accept a position Avith the Whipple-Woods Realty
Company. In 1901, in connection Avith W. S. Woods and W. F. Waller, he
organized the Woods, Waller & Holtz Realty Company, now the Waller &
Holtz Realty Company, for the purpose of carrying on a real-estate, loan and
fire insurance business. The firm handle farms and ranches as well as city
property and are prominently known in this connection in Kansas City. Mr.
Holtz owns and operates a large ranch at Garden City, Kansas, where he
raises cattle, sugar beets and alfalfa. He likewise has various other interests
of minor importance, yet which contribute to the sum total of his success.

Mr. Holtz wedded Kate May, a daughter of T. D. Volk, of Ottawa, Kan-
sas, who for many years was superintendent of motive power of the Santa
Fe Railroad. Mrs. Holtz is a graduate of the high school of Ottawa and of
the Bo.ston Conservatory of Music. There are three children of this mar-
riage, Bernelle Wilson, Gladys and Elma Katherine, aged respectively thir-
teen, twelve and ten years.

The parents hold membership in the Congregational church and Mr.
Holtz exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of
the republican party. He belongs to the Commercial Club, the Manufactur-
ers Association and the Kansas City Real Estate Exchange, all of which
have contributed to the development and progress of Kansas City. He be-
longs to that class of representative American men who, while advancing in-
dividual interests, also contribute to the prosperity of the community.



GEORGE O. AVARNEKE.

George 0. AVarneke, part owner and actively intere.«:ted in I ho manage-
ment of an extensive bakery business which has had a continuous existence
since 1865, is in this connection a representative of one of the leading
manufacturing concerns of Kansas City. His birth occurred in St. Louis,
Missouri, January 30, 1861, his parents being John C. and AVilhelmina
AVarneke.

Tli(^ father was born near Bremen, Germany, in 1833, and the mother's
birth occurred at Bcerfeldon, Germany, in 1832. They were married in St.
Louis, Missouri, in 1860. The father had come to America in 1852 and had
located in that city in 1855, where he engaged in the grate and mantel busi-




GEORGE O. WARNEKE.



TF{E NEW YORK
PUBLIC LIBRARY

A-^TOR. LENOX
I'D .• ■; NATIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 591

ne;;S until after the outbreak of the Civil war, when he felt that his first duty
was to his ado^jted country and joined the Union ranks, serving until 1864.
In that year he became a resident of Rolla, Missouri, where he lived for a
year, when he removed to Independence, Missouri, residing there until 1865.
On coming to Kansas City he established the bakery business which has since
been carried on under the family name. He developed an enterprise of large
and profitable proportions and continued in business until his death, which
occurred June 21, 1886. His life record demonstrated the possibilities for
successful accomplishment in this land w^here ambition and effort are not
hampered by caste or class. His widow, still residing in Kansas City, bore
the maiden name of Wilhelmina Kumpf, and was a sister of the late Mayor
Henry C. Kumpf. By her marriage she became the mother of eight children,
but only four are yet living.

George O. Warneke, brought to Kansas City when but four j-ears of age,
here attended a German school located at the. corner of Tenth and McGee
streets, also the Humboldt school at Twelfth and Locust, the Morse school at
Tw^entieth and Charlotte and the high school which then held its sessions in
an old frame building at Eleventh and Locust streets. He completed his
education by pursuing a course in bookkeeping at a night school and thus
well qualified entered upon business life, becoming associated with his father
in the conduct of a bakery business. At the time of the father's death he
and his brother, J. H. A. Warneke, succeeded to the business and the firm
of Warneke Brothers is now prominent in commercial circles of the city. They
have three places of business here, their bread and roll bakery being one of
the largest and most up-to-date in Kansas City. It is located at Nos. 306 to
310 East Seventeenth street and is managed by George 0. A^^arneke. Here
are employed from twenty-five to thirty people and the weekly output is
fifty thousand loaves of bread, beside a large amount of rolls. The cake
bakery and retail store of the firm is located at No. 1509 Grand avenue and
is in charge of J. H. A. Warneke. The other branch of the business is a retail
store located at the City Market on Grand avenue. Both their cake and bread
bakery plants are most complete, being thoroughly equipped with every mod-
ern device necessary for the conduct of the business and the excellence of
their product throughout these years has w^on for them an unassailable repu-
tation, while their business methods are at all times in strict conformity with
a high standard of commercial ethics.

In 1901, in this city, Mr. Warneke was married to Miss Amelia Lauer,
who was born in Pirmasens, Germany, August 26, 1873, and in the father-
land her parents still reside. She is a member of the German Lutheran
church. Their home is a beautiful brick dwelling situated in the midst of a
large tract of valuable land at No. 612 Westport avenue. Mr. Warneke is a
member of the INIasonic lodge and also holds membership relations with the
Odd Fellows, the Turners and the Elks . Both he and his wife belong to the
German Lutheran church and in politics he is a stalwart republican. He
served for two years as councilman from the Ninth ward under Mayor
Cowherd's administration from 1892 until 1894, and at all times has been
progressive in his citizenship, supporting various measures and movements



592 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

planned for the public good. In business life he is alert and enterprising
and he and his brother have fully maintained the high standard of the busi-
ness established by their father, while in commercial circles the name of
Warneke has ever been a synonym for business integrity and enterprise.



MAJOR HARVEY J. VIVIAN.

Major Harvey J. Vivian, retired, whose title indicates his service in the
Civil war, was born in Howard county, Missouri, in 1830, and when six
years of age was taken by his parents to Sabine county, this state, where
they lived for six years and then became residents of Platte county, Mis-
souri. There Major Vivian was reared upon a farm and at the age of
eighteen was given his time and started out in life on his own account. He
engaged in stock dealing, and in March, 1857, came to Kansas City, where
he rented a large, brick barn from a Mr. Gillis, using it in sheltering his
mules and horses. At this time the immigration into Kansas City was
heavy, money was plentiful and Major Vivian found a ready market for all
the stock he could buy. He thus prospered in his business career in those
days but, early in the year 1859, owing to the troublous times which largely
put a stop to immigration, business fell off and he disposed of his live-stock
interests. For a period he was engaged in no business. It was not long
after this, however, that the Civil war was inaugurated, and Major Vivian
was among the first to respond, enlisting in the State Guards under Gen-
eral Price. He was engaged in many of the raids around this section, and
later the regiment was organized and 'miLstered into the regular service. He
was under General Shelby during the war, and after the engagement at
Lone Jack he was appointed captain of his company. A little later the