Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 64 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

nation and was elected to the United States senate to succeed George Gra-
ham Vest for the term beginning March 4, 1903, and terminating on the
3d of March, 1909. He has left the impress of his individuality upon the
judicial and legislative history of the state, nor is his influence an incon-'
siderable factor in the national halls of congress. On the, 2d of April, 1874,
he married Sarah Louise Winston, and their two daughters are Mabel and
Mildred Catharine Parkinson.

The only son, Kimbrough Stone, acquired his literary education in
the Missouri State University, from which he, was graduated in 1895, with
the degree of Bachelor of Letters. He afterward entered Harvard College
for preparation for the legal profession, completing the law course by grad-
uation with the class of 1898. The same year he was admitted to the Mis-
souri bar at St. Louis, and in that state began practice, remaining there un-
til 1903. In the meantime he had gained distinction as an able and learned
young lawyer. In 1899 he was secretary of the commission that revised
the Revised Statutes of Missouri. In the spring of 1903 he came to Kan-
sas City and practiced alone until the fall of 1905, when he formed a part-
nership with Frank Hagerman. one of the leading attorneys of the city.
He engages in a general, civil and corporation practice. Along with those
qualities indispensable to the lawyer — a keen, rapid, logical mind, plus the



688 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

business sense, and a ready capacity for hard Avork — he brought to the start-
ing point of his legal career certain rare gifts — eloquence of language and
a strong personality. An excellent presence, marked strength of character,
a thorough grasp of the law and an ability accurately to apply its princi-
ples, are likewise factors in his effectiveness as an advocate. He is a mem-
ber of the Kansas City Bar Association, of the University Club and of the
Commercial Club.

Mr. Stone was married October 3, 1908, to Miss Lucile Cockrill, of Platte
City, Missouri. They have one child, Elizabeth Louise Stone.



MRS. SARAH E. O'MARA.

Mrs. Sarah E. O'Mara, a native of Ohio, came to Kansas City in 1898
and engaged in the conduct of an art and needle-work store and in the
jmanufacture of fine embroidery. She has succeeded in building up the
most unique and only extensive enterprise of its kind in the west. Previous
to this time her husband, the late Thomas AV. O'Mara, was a manufacturer
of shirts. Mrs. O'Mara accompanied him on his itinerary and spent much
of her time in the use of her needle, becoming very proficient in fine needle-
work. This eventually led to her settling in Kansas City and engaging in
her present business, after which Mr. O'Mara left the road and also made
this city his home up to the time of his death. Her son is now associated
with her in business, and they have continually broadened the scope of the
undertaking. They likewise have an electric bath department, splendidly
equipped, giving the various kinds of baths which are so beneficial to
of the most attractive features of the store is its fine millinery department,
health. There is also a hairdressing and manicuring department and one
It is an undisputed fact that there is not a place in the country that has so
complete an equipment for giving those treatments to women which, aside
from medical service, are conducive to health and beauty. Expert attend-
ants are employed who have graduated in the most prominent beauty estab-
lishments in the world. The store is largely patronized by all prominent
members of the theatrical profession when visiting Kansas City and also by
the women of Kansas City who appreciate the benefits to be derived from
the, medical effects given by the electric baths. The millinery department
is the most exclusive to be found anywhere, containing at all times pattern
hats fi'iiiii those centers of fashion — Paris and New York. The importa-
tions are kej)t constantly up-to-date and none 1)ut the finest materials are
used in the making of hats. The name O'Mara is symbolical of all that
appeals to the feminine fancy and delights the most artistic taste. The es-
tablishment is under the immediate supervision of Mrs. O'Mara, who was
the first to introduce into Kansas City the fine linens that are so necessary
to the furnishing of a home in an artistic manner. People of the most cul-
tured taste, of the highest refinement and of the most artistic ideas are her
patrons, finding here what they want for interior adornment of homes and



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 669

also for the promotion of individual attractiveness. Mrs. O'Mara has con-
stantly developed this taste through study, and there, is no one better in-
formed upon the subject than she. A'Lsitors from other cities— people who
have traveled the world over, people of culture and with a keen appreciation
of all things beautiful — have said that in their travels never have they seen
an establishment of the same nature as '"O'Mara's," so complete in con-
veniences or so elegant in its appointments.



CHARLES CLEMENS ORTHWEIN.

Charles Clemens Orthwein, president of the Orthwein-McCrum Invest-
ment Company of Kansas City, was born in St. Louis, February 13, 1869,
a son of C. F. Orthwein, who is mentioned elsewhere in this volume. His
mother in her maidenhood was Caroline Nulsen, a daughter of John C.
Nulsen, former president of the Mi-ssouri Malleable Iron Company of St.
Louis, who died in 1907.

Mr. Orthwein, of this review, completed his education in Washington
University at St. Louis, from which he was graduated with the class of
1891. He at once entered business with his father under the firm style of
C. F. Orthwein & Son. They were the pioneer exporters of grain through
New Orleans, their shipments reaching as high as twenty million bushels
annually. After the death of the father Charles C. Orthwein and his brother,
W. J. Orthwein, continued the business until 1891, when the latter with-
drcAV, preparatory to removing to Europe to make his home in the Swiss
mountains. Mr. Orthwein then continued in the grain exporting business
until a recent date, when he retired and came to Kansas City, here organ-
izing the Orthwein-McCrum Investment Company in March, 1907, with W.
H. McCrum as vice-president and J. D. White as secretary and treasurer,
while Mr. Orthwein is the president. They do a large business in local
securities and have private wires to the New York Stock Exchange, the Chi-
cago and St. Louis grain markets and also deal in grain on the Kansas City
Board of Trade. Mr. Orthwein is also a member of the Chicago Board of
Trade and the St. Louis Exchange as well as the Kansas City Board. The
above mentioned, however, do not comprise the full scope of his business in-
terests, for he is director of the Fidelity Trust Company and the National
Bank of the Republic of Kansas City, and vice president of the Seneca Mill
& Elevator Company, of Seneca, Missouri, owning a mill with a capacity of
eight hundred barrels. He is also president of the Wabash Clay Company
of Indiana and has many other interests. The solution of difficult business
problems seems an easy one to him. He has been a close student of busi-
ness conditions, especially in the field of grain trade, brokerage and finan-
cial interests, and his judgment is regarded as sound and reliable, his opin-
ions often being accepted as conclusive in the settlement of various business
interests.



670 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

On the 16th of October, 1897, Mr. Orthwein was married to Miss Edith
Hall, of St. Louis. He is a member of Tuscan lodge, A. F. & A. M.. of St.
Louis, and the Society for Ethical Culture, established by Felix Adler of
New York. He likewise holds membership relations with the Kansas City
Club, the Commercial Club, the Mid-Day Club and the Kansas City Athletic
Club. He is a lover of athletics and all manly sports, and is an expert
swordsman and horseman. He speaks German and French as fluently as
English, and is an accomiDlished musician, having studied the piano since
a small boy and at the age of twelve years appeared in public. He was
considered a prodigy by his family and friends, but when business interests
began to engross his attention he ceased to give nnich time to music save for
his own amusement. It is seldom that one Avho has the keenly artistic sense
and temperament of Mr. Orthwein, as manifest in his love of the art of
music, attains such preeminent success in business. He has, however, gained
a position of leadership, displays an aptitude for successful management,
and finds genuine pleasure in exerting his powers and in solving intricate
questions in the business world.



FRANCIS D. ROSS.



Jackson county has usually been favored in the class of men who have
occupied her public offices, for in the great majority of cases they have been
actuated by a spirit of loyal fidelity to the jniblic welfare. Of such a type is
Francis D. Ross, now serving as county recorder. He was born in Devonshire,
England, January 3, 1870.

His father, Francis Ross, was an officer of the British army and a native
of Rosshire, Scotland. He was a cadet of the house of Pitcalnie, which claims
the chieftainship of the clan Ross that played a prominent part in the history
of Scotland for eight centuries, while the widely scattered scions of the house
have made names for themselves in nearly every country on the face of the
globe. They have been participants in every war in Scotland and England
for the past eight hundred years, and every generation has given the life of at
least one member of the family in battle, the last being Captain George Ross,
brother of Francis D. Ros.s, who was killed in the late invasion of Thilx't by
the English.

Francis D. Ross was educated in the famous Blundell school at Tiverton,
established several hundred years ago, having been awarded a scholarship
through conii)etitive examination when twelve years of age. Upon his gradu-
ation from that institution, three years later, he won a scholarshi]) for Oxford,
laif never entered that famous university, instead coining at once to America
alone when but fifteen years of age. Having been reared on the seashore
and liaviiig a better knowledge of boats than of any other line of employment,
he at once turned to the Great Lakes, where he secured employment as a
sailor. At the end of one sea.son, however, he obtained a po.sition in the office
of a packing house in Chicago, and two months later entered a railroad




FRANCIS D. ROSS.



THE I-:lV/ YORK
PUBLIC LIBRARY



ASTOR, LENOX
TILDEN FOUNWATIONS



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 673

office, where he remained until eighteen years of age. He then went to the
west and was employed on ranches in Colorado, California, Oregon, Arizona,
New Mexico and the Indian Territory for six years, and a part of that time
owned ranches or managed them for others. In 1894 he came to Kansas
City, where he engaged in the mercantile business for two years, and since
that time has continuously been in the employ of the city or county.

From 1896 until 1900 he was in the city treasurer's office, and for a few
months in the latter year was secretary for a building and loan association.
In the later part of the year 1900, however, he secured a position in the city
comptroller's office, and in April, 1901, went to the county collector's office,
where he remained as cashier until April, 1903. He was then for one year
chief clerk in the city treasurer's office, after which he returned to the county
collector's office as chief deputy in 1905 and 1906. In the latter year he was
elected county recorder, taking the office on the 1st of January, 1907. He
has been associated with the republican party since coming to America, his
stalwart advocacy of its principles arising from a close study of its general
policy and what it has accomplished. He is proud of the fact that his con-
victions have been sustained by the achievements of the party, and he labors
earnestly for its upbuilding and welfare.

He is interested in city and county real estate to a considerable extent,
but considers it incompatible with the duty of a public officer to become too
much engrossed in private affairs. He has therefore always refrained from
engaging in any commercial or financial enterprises. He is captain of Com-
pany D, Third Regiment of the Missouri National Guard, in which he takes
great interest as the one thing w^hich appeals to his nature above all others.
He belongs to the Elks, to the Missouri Republican Club and the Tiger Re-
publican Club, and in religion is by birth and choice an Episcopalian.

On the 10th of April, 1895, Mr. Ross was married to Miss Christine A.
De Rett, of Kansas City. They have five children : Francis Dundas, Evelyn
Mabel, Victoria Helen, Ronald Munro and Muriel Frances. Mr. Ross has a
fine farm at Dodson, ten miles south of Kansas City, where he makes his home
in summer, believing in the physical and moral advantages of country life for
his children. His city residence is at No. 3301 ]\Iorrell avenue, in one of the
finest new residence districts of Kansas City. He is modest and rather retiring
in disposition, and his official service has been marked by a conscientious
performance of duty -that well entitles him to the unqualified confidence
reposed in him.



FRANK W. TOBENER.

Frank W. Tobener is one of Kansas City's native sons, his biilh liaving
occurred here in 1867. His parents were Mr. and Mrs. Henry Tobener, of
whom mention is made elsewhere in this volume. At the usual age he was
sent to the public schools and pas,sed through successive grades until he be-
came a high school student. He received special training in Spalding's



674 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

Business College and then started in business on his own account as pro-
prietor of a livery stable at the corner of Seventeenth and McGee streets.
There he remained for about eight years, after which he went to Pittsburg,
Kansas, where he became superintendent of a silver smelter. He filled that
position for two years and then returned to Kansas City, w^here he estab-
lished the Phoenix Bottling Works for the manufacture of ginger ale, soda
w^ater and other soft drinks. This he still owns, although he is not actively
connected with its management at the present time. He built a home at
No. 1001 Askew avenue and later traded it for ten acres of land at Seventy-
first and Main streets, which he intends to plat for city lots.

Pleasantly situated in his home life, Mr. Tobener was married in 1890
to Miss Emily F. Varco, a daughter of John F. Varco, who came to Kansas
City in 1870 from Cornwall, England. The father was a very prominent
Londoner. Mr. Varco, who engaged quite extensively in contracting and
building in Kansas City for a number of years, thus contributed in substan-
tial measure to the improvment and progress of the city. He built and still
owns a number of properties here which are now in charge of Mr. Tobener,
Mr. Varco having returned to England in 1897, since which time he has
made hi.s home in his native land. Mrs. Tobener was one of a family of
eight children, and by her marriage has become the mother of one daugh-
ter, Lavinia Elizabeth.

In his political views Mr. Tobener is a stalwart republican in hearty
sympathy with the principles and purposes of the party. He has attained
the thirty-second degree in Scottish Rite Masonry and is also a valued rep-
resentative of the Eagles and of the Modern Woodmen of America, while
his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Presbyterian
church. Having spent his entire life in this city he is here widely known,
and the fact that many of his stanchest friends are those with whom he has
been acquainted from his boyhood to the present is an indication that his
has been an honorable and upright career.



JEROME TWICHELL.

Jerome Twichell, president of the Twichell Iron Company, is a man
whose energy and ability have created tangible wealth from an undeveloped
resource. With a recognition of possibilities that others have passed by
heedles.-ly he has put foith oanic.-t and clVcctive eft'orl \n utilize the chances
which have come to him, and in this way has won for himself a prominent
place in industrial and financial circles in Kansas City. His labors, too, in
behalf of public progress, have been far-reaching and beneficial, and what
he has done for the welfare of the city has been of a character that has
rendered his service most valuable.

Jerome Twichell was born in Louisville, Kentuckv, on the 13th of
August, 1844, and spent the greater part of his childhood in New Orleans,
where he secured his education. In 1860 he went with his father to Arkan-



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 675

sas and assisted him on a cotton plantation there until after the outbreak of
hostilities between the north and the south, when he joined the Confederate
army, becoming a member of Company E, Eighth Arkansas Regiment, un-
der General Patrick Cleburn. He remained at the front until the close of
the war and was twice captured. The first time he was exchanged and the
last time he was held a prisoner until almost the close of hostilities, when he
was one of a squad of five hundred in the last exchange made. After the
war he returned to his old home on the plantation in Arkansas, but when
a brief period had passed he went to Louisville, Kentucky, where he secured
a situation in a seed and implement house, continuing there until 1868.
In that year Mr. Twichell made his way to California and was engaged on
the construction of the snow sheds for the Central Pacific Railroad. Remain-
ing there for a time, he then decided that he would see something of the
world, and on a merchant vessel went to Hongkong, China, and to Manila.
His experiences in the Orient were interesting, bringing to him a knowledge
of the people of that part of the world that he could otherwise have never
gained. Returning to New York, he afterward went to New Orleans, and in
1871 became again a resident of Louisville and entered into business rela-
tions with the old firm as a traveling salesman. He thus represented the
house until 1879, when his attention was attracted to Kansas City by reason
of its many excellent busin&ss opportunities. Taking up his abode here,
he engaged in the grocery brokerage business until he consolidated with
Clemons, Cloom & Company. In 1886 he sold out and began his present
business under the name of Jerome, Twichell & Company, dealers in corru-
gated iron and all kinds of roofing materials. In 1892 the business was
incorporated under the name of the Kansas City Roofing & Corrugating
Company, and from the outset in 1886 the firm has enjoyed a large patron-
age, which has constantly grown with the development of the city. In 1906
the name of the corporation was changed to the Twichell Iron Company.
The business which they do annually is now represented by a large figaire,
and the company stands in the foremost rank of similar enterprises in this
part of the west.

In 1885 Mr. Twichell was married to Miss Cora L. Norman, a daugh-
ter of the late Dr. J. W. Norman, and they have two sons, Jerome and Nor-
man Dean. Mr. Twichell is prominent in Masonry, having taken the
Knight Templar degrees of the York Rite as a member of Oriental
Commandery, while in the Western Consistory he has attained the thirty-
second degree of the Scottish Rite. He is also connected with Ararat Tem-
ple of the Mystic Shrine. He is likewise identified with various organ-
izations for the promotion of business interests, belonging to the Implement
Dealers Vehicle & Hardware Club and the Commercial Club, of which he is
a leading member. He is likewise a member of the Kansas Citv Club, and
those who meet him in these relations find him a genial, social man, the
compass of whose interests is not limited by his business. His extensive trav-
els have enriched his mind and made him a most entertaining companion,
and moreover he is one who delights in expending his energies for the ben-
efit of his associates. A resident of Kansas City for almost thirty years, he



676 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

has been a cooperant factor in luaiiy niovemeiits for the general good, and
the appreciation which his fellow townsmen have for him and his ability
was indicated in the fact that he wa.s chosen one of a committee of two to
purcha.se the boats for the Kansas City River Transportation Company,
which was organized in the spring of 1907 — a proposition near and dear to
the hearts of most of the business men of Kansas City. He was also made a
member of the board of directors and chairman of the committee on busi-
ness organization and thus upon him and his associates devolve some of the
most vital questions concerning the success of the enterprise. To be thus
elected was a great honor, as it signifies not only the belief in his ability to
successfully perform the work entrusted to his care, but also indicates the
esteem in which he is held by those who know him. He possesses the un-
daunted spirit of the west, accomplishing what he midertakes, and when
one avenue of effort seems to be closed, seeking out another whereby he
may reach the objective point.



GRANT SHAW.



Grant Shaw has since 1895 been connected with the business interests
of Kansas City as president of the Shaw Advertisnig Company. He is a
western man and possesses in large degree the spirit of enterprise which has
been the dominant factor in the rapid and substantial upbuilding of this
section of the country. His birth occurred in Louisville, Kansas, December
28, 1869. His father, A. J. Shaw, now deceased, removed to Kansas in 1860
from' Pennsylvania, and the mother, Henrietta (Stevens) Shaw, is still liv-
ing in Louisville. The Stevens family is of English lineage, and the ances-
tors of Mrs. Shaw were among the pioneer landowners of Brooklvn. New
York.

(4rant Shaw acquired his education through the medium of the public
schools of Louisville and also by studying at home in the evenings. He
then turned his attention to the newspaper business, with which he was con-
nected in various Kansas towns, and it was while engaged in publishing the
Florence Bulletin ten years ago that he became interested in the manufac-
ture and sale of advertising novelties. In 1900 he removed to Peabody,
Kansas, where he devoted his attention exclusively io that business until his
establishment was destroyed by fire in February, 1895. He then came to
Kansas City, where he has since continued in the same line of business and
has secured an extensive patronage. In fact his trade has grown so rapidly
that he now employs fifty traveling salesmen, covering two-thirds of the
United States. He manufactures a general line of advertising specialties.
the value of which is indicated by the mammoth business wliich he lias built
up and which makes his enterprise one of importance in the commercial
development of Kansas City. He also has various otlier interests in and
near Kansas City, and is the owner of a large stock farm of nine Inmdred



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 677

and twenty acres in Bates county, Missouri, to which he gives general super-
vision.

Mr. Shaw is a Mason and belongs to the Kansas City Athletic Club and
the Warwick Club. He is well known in political circles as a stalwart cham-
pion of the republican party and has ever taken a general interest in poli-
tics. For two years he was secretary of the Kansas Day Club, a local re-
publican club of Peabody, Kansas. The honors and emoluments of office,
however, have had no attraction for him, as he has always preferred to give
undivided attention to his business affairs and his keen sagacity and enterprise
in anticipating the possibilities of trade in his line have brought to him
an extensive business and one which is proving an excellent dividend pay-
ing property.



ROBERT CUMMINGS MOORE. D. V. S.

Dr. Robert Cummings Moore, president of the board of directors of
the Kansas City Veterinary College, and an able representative in practice
of the profession to which he has devoted his life, was born in Carroll
county, Ohio, November 24, 1852. His father, Edward H. Moore, who for
many years followed farming, is now living retired at Holton, Kansas. His
wife in her maidenhood w^as Harriet A. Cummings, and both were natives
of Ohio. At the time of the Mexican war the father espoused the cause of
his country and went to the front.

Dr. Moore pursued his education in the country and city schools of
Carroll county, Ohio, to the age of sixteen years, wdien he came to Missouri,