Carrie Westlake Whitney.

Kansas City, Missouri; its history and its people 1808-1908 (Volume 2) online

. (page 7 of 65)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

in his work and is never so happy as when exploiting the good points of Kan-
sas City to the visitor within her gates.



MICHAEL HOFMANN.

In the year 1881 Michael Hofmann became a resident of Kansa.s City
and throughout his remaining days was engaged in the wholesale liquor
business here. A native of Germany, he was born September 29, 1828, and
his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Adam Hofmann, were likewise natives of that
country, where they always resided. The father died, however, Avhen his son
]\Iichael was but six years of age. The boy acquired his education in the
public schools and remained in the fatherland until he had attained his
majority, when he resolved to try his fortune in America, having a brother
who was living in Frankfort, Maine, and who made favorable reports con-
cerning business opportunities in this country and the advantages that
might be enjoyed here. Accordingly he bade adieu to friends and native
coiHUry to take ])assage on a westward bound vessel and reached New York
liai'bor in due course of time. Ere leaving his native land he had learned
the tailor'.s trade and for a brief ])eriod he worked at the trade in the eastern
metropolis. He also visited his brother in Maine and in 1852 he went to
r>i>-!oii. where he embarked in bu.siness on his own account, opening a tailor
sbdp wliich he conducted for five years. In 1857 he came to the west and
settled ill Leavenworth. Kansas. There he b(\<i,an in tlie wliolesale liquor
business, whicii he conchieted for a nutnber of years, thus gaining l)roa(l
experience in a branch of li'ide which claimed his attention after his re-
moval to Kansas City.

It was while living in Leavenworth that Mr. Hofmann was married in
1859 to Miss .Tohanna L. P)aueli. of that city. Slie. too. wa~ l)orn in Gennanv,



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 67

and wa» a daughter of Frederick Baiich, who was a prominent man of that
country and carefully conducted business interests of considerable magnitude
and became quite wealthy. In 1854 he removed with his family to America
and after landing at New York made his way westward to St. Louis, where
he lived retired for a few years. He then went to Herman, Missouri, and
subsequently to Nebraska City, Nebraska, but did not again engage in busi-
ness, for the competence acquired in former years was sufficient to supply
him with all of the comforts and some of the luxuries of life. In his old age
he went to Leavenworth, Kansas, and made his home with Mr. and Mrs.
Hofmann until called to his final rest. Three of his children are yet living,
one daughter being in Michigan and another in Nebraska City.

Following their marriage Mr. Hofmann engaged in the wholesale
liquor business in Leavenworth, Kansas, being connected with the trade
there for about twenty-four years. In 1881, however, he sold out and re-
moved to Kansas City, where he established a wholesale liquor store, his
business being located at No. 319 West Fifth street. He continued in that
line throughout his remaining days and built up an excellent patronage, so
that the volume of his trade brought him a good financial return annually.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hofmann were born eleven children, eight of whom
are now living, namely: William L., who resides in Utah; Louise L., the wife
of Gus Meyer, a resident of Kansas City; Emma, the wife of Dr. William
Brechtline, who resides in Higginsville, Missouri, where, in addition to his
practice he is engaged in the drug business; Josephine, the wife of Charles
C. Peters, who is superintendent of and a partner in the firm of Emery, Bird,
Thayer Dry Goods Company, of Kansas City, and whose sketch is found
elsewhere in this work; Michael, who after his father's death, took charge of
the business, which he continued until January, 1907, and who resides with
his mother; Anna, the wife of Lyman Seaman, a resident of Springfield,
Missouri; Edward, who wedded Bertha Boetcher, and resides in Chicago,
where he is acting as cashier for the Armour Packing Company; and Flor-
ence, who is with her mother. Those deceased are Gustave, Marie and Ger-
trude. The death of the father occurred June 2, 1890. He had many warm
friends among the German-Americans and other citizens here, his social
qualities and kindly nature winning him sincere regard. While in Leaven-
worth he was a member of the school board for several years and the cause
of education found in him a warm friend. He was thoroughly in sympathy
with fraternal organizations and belonged to the Masons, the Knights of
Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. After coming to
America and studying the political issues and questions of the day he allied
his interests with those of the republican party, which he supported for
some time, but in later years he voted for the candidate whom he regarded
as best qualified for office without regard to party affiliation. He was a
member of the Catholic church, while his widow holds membership with
the Presbyterian church. In community affairs he was deeply interested and
his assistance could always be counted upon to further progressive move-
ments for the public benefit. He wa- also devoted to the welfare of his
family and was ever loyal in his friendships. He died at his old home at No.



68 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

918 Pcii]i street, a palatial residence, which is one of the finest homes of
the city. It contains twenty-six rooms and its architectural beauty renders
it one of the attractive residences of the district in which it is located. It is
still owned by Mrs. Hofmann l)ut she and hor son ;nul daughter now reside
at No. 2221 Troost avenue.



JUDGE AZARIAH BUDD.

Judge Azariah Budd, whose memory will be ever perpetuated in Budd
park, of Kansas City, which was named in his honor, was also well known for
a number of years as a practitioner of law in the higher courts of Missouri,
although after his removal to Kansas City he did not follow his profession be-
cause of the state of his health. He w-as born upon a farm in Westmoreland
county, Pennsylvania, September (5, 1824. His ancestors, coming from Eng-
land to the new world, settled in New Jersey and thence representatives of the
name made their way to various sections of the country.

The grandfather, William Joshua Budd, a resident of Westmoreland
county, Pennsylvania, was at one time the richest man in that section of the
state. He was the builder of the town of Port Royal and was associated in
many ways with the material development and progress of the locality, being a
canal-boat owner, merchant and landowner. He also owned Budd's ferry, at
which place the town of Port Royal was built. It was then a part of West-
moreland county but is now a part of Juniata county. William J, Budd was
married in early manhood to Miss Fitch and continued his residence in Penn-
vania up to the time of his death. He reared a large family, including An-
drew Budd. vvho also became the father of a large family, numbering Judge
Budd of this review. The father carried on general agricultural pursuits in
the Keystone state until after his marriage to Miss Nancy Hasson and the birth
of some of their children. He then removed with his family to Ohio, settling
in Lima, where he continued to engage in farming, entering a section of rich
and productive land. It was situated in the midst of the oil fields of that state,
but he never discovered that it was so valuable because of its oil bearing prop-
erties. Having lost his first wife, he afterward married Mary Moorecraft and
he had by both wives twenty children.

Judge Budd pursued his education in the common schools of Ohio to the
age of fifteen years and as age and strength permitted worked upon the home
farm. When he was eighteen years of age his father gave him his time. His
early educational advantages were supplemented by study in the select school
and throughout his life he remained a student, embracing every opportunity
for intellectual progress and finding therein a genuine delight. He studied
hard while attending the select school in Lima and became imbued with the
desire of obtaining a college education. To this end he engaged in teaching
and carefully saved his money. He then went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and
matriculated in the Miami L)niversit3\ In order to save expenses he rented a
room and propared his own moals, but although ho was most careful of his



*^






■ i^KKr'




AZARIAH BUDD.



THE NEV/ YORK
PUBLIC LIBRARY

ASTOR. LEKOX






HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 71

f,xpenditures he found that he could not complete the course owing to lack
of funds and after two years' study in the university he resumed teaching in
order to provide for his support. In Lebanon, Ohio, he was employed to teach
the higher branches and while thus engaged he began preparation for the bar,
reading law for two years in the othce and under the direction of Lauren
Smith. He then engaged in teaching school for two years at Ridgeville, War-
ren county, Ohio, where resided the lady who afterward became his wife, and
who was one of his pupils. After two years there passed, he was married in
1849 to Miss Sarah Ann Cornell, of Ridgeville, and for many years they
traveled life's journey happily together, their mutual love and confidence in-
creasing as time passed by.

Mrs. Budd was born May 17, 1827, belonging to a family of well to do
farming people of Warren county, Ohio. She was reared on a beautiful farm
of one hundred and twenty acres overlooking the town of Ridgeville and sup-
plemented her early education, acquired in the common schools, by study in
the college at Lebanon, Ohio. She was a daughter of George N. Cornell and
a granddaughter of Daniel Cornell, who died in Canada while on a visit to
his children in that country. His wife survived him and died at Ridgeville,
Ohio. The father, George N. Cornell, was a relative of the founder of Cornell
College. He was born in Canada, to which country his people had removed
from the state of New York, the father settling on land which he secured
from the English government. Later, however, he exchanged this property
for land in the state of New York, but found that his title to the latter was
bad and he lost nearly all that he had. On learning of this, he said to his
wife, "Now for the west," and firmly believing that the west held his oppor-
tunity he turned his face toward the setting sun. The trip was made down
the Ohio river on rafts, Indian guides being hired. These rafts w^ere lashed
together, and thus in primitive manner the family made their way into the
western wilderness. That Mr. Cornell was not mistaken in his judgment is
indicated by the fact that he prospered after his removal to Ohio and accum-
ulated much land in Warren county. He married Miss Chloe Hand, who
came of a family of English lineage.

Soon after the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Budd he was admitted to the
bar and opened an office in Lima, Ohio, where he practiced for one year.
On the expiration of that period he removed to Kalida, Putnam county,
Ohio, which was then the county seat, but when Ottawa was chosen as the
county seat he took up his abode in the latter place and was elected prose-
cuting attorney there. He secured a good clientage in Ohio, but attracted by
the west — that great section of country lying beyond the Mississippi river, —
he made his way to Missouri in the fall of 1865, at which time Thomas
Fletcher was governor. In this state he practiced in the higher courts, re-
siding first in Jefferson City, Missouri. At that time, however, prejudice
against northern men had not been eradicated. They were termed carpet-
baggers and there was opposition felt to those who had been Union supporters,

After some time spent at Jefferson City Judge Budd removed to Clinton,
Henry county, Missouri, where he practiced for eight years. While there
he was appointed judge to try those who evaded the United States revenue



72 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

law and thus won the title by which he was uniformly known. In 1879 he
came to Kansas City. Here, owing to heart trouble, he gave up the active
practice of law and turned his attention to other interests. He had entered
a tract of forty acres, now in the eastern part of the city. There Budd park
was laid out and named in his honor. Judge Budd cleared and cultivated
the land and raised stock and in his well d' reeled business affairs met with
gratifying success. In the winter of 1889-90 he traveled for his health in
Texas but did not derive the benefit that he had anticipated and passed away
on his farm in Kansas City in December, 1890. In his earlier days he was
a member of the Presbyterian church and was also identified with the Masonic
fraternity. His political allegiance was given to the democracy up to and
through the Douglas campaign, after which he experienced a change in his
political views and became a republican. He was ever a man fearless in what
he believed to be right and nothing could swerve him from a course which
his conscience and judgment approved. This fidelity to principle won him
the highest esteem and made him a man who enjoyed in the fullest degree
the confidence and trust of his fellow citizens. He stood for high ideals in
citizenship, in his profes.sion and in private life and thus it was that he gained
the unqualified esteem of the people among whom he cast his lot.

Since her husband's death Mrs. Budd has resided in Kansas City and
five acres of valuable land which she inherited she has deeded to the city as
an addition to Budd park. For three years she has made her home at No.
3632 Wyandotte street. Her acquaintance is a wide and favorable one here,
for she shared in the high esteem which w^as uinformly accorded Judge Budd.



ROBERT A. LIVINGSTON, M.D.

Dr. Robert A. Livingston, whose professional skill and ability made his
life one of great usefulness, was a native of Lisbon, New York, born August
9, 1850, and was a representative of a prominent old family of the Empire
state. He was a st)ii of John and Margaret (Ingersoll) Livingston, and an
own cousin of Robert Ingersoll, whose words of eloquence thrilled the hearts
of all who heard him. The parents were both natives of the state of Ne\\
York, as was the paternal grandfather of our subject. Judge Robert Livings-
ton, who in early life engaged in farming there but in his later years lived
retired, enjoying the fruits of his former toil. He held many public offices
in Lisbon and was a prominent man there.

John Livingston owned and cultivated a farm near Lisbon, New York,
carrying on general agricultural pursuits there until 1849, when, attracted
l)y the discovery of gold in California, he started for the far west. He was
taken ill. however, when crossing the isthmus and died ere reaching his
destination. His widow still survives and is now residing with a son at Lis-
bon, New York, at the advanced age of eighty-five years.

Dr. Robert A. Livingston acquired his early education in the public
schools of Lisbon and afterward attended college at Ogdensburg, New York



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 73

When his more specifically literary course was completed he took up the
study of medicine and became a student in Belleville Medical College, at
New York city. He afterward went to Chicago and completed his medical
course in Rush Medical College, becoming thus well equipped for a respons-
ible professional career. Removing to Stillwater, Minnesota, he located for
practice there and for many years was closely identified with its professional
interests. He was an earnest and discriminating student who always kept
in touch with the advancement made in the profession, was ever careful and
accurate in the diagnosis of a case and displayed marked ability in foretelling
the outcome of diseases. He was most conscientious in the discharge of his
professional duties and his labors were attended with a gratifying measure,
of success.

Dr. Livingston was married in Lisbon, New York, to Miss Virginia
S. Wallace, a native of Lisbon, and a daughter of Dr. Reuben and Caroline
(Ainsworth) Wallace. The latter died during the infancy of her daughter,
and Mr. AVallace afterward married again. He, too, was a physician, who
practiced in Lisbon, New York, and later he removed to the west, settling
at Little Sioux, Iowa, where he continued in the active practice of medi-
cine and surgery during the last thirty years of his life. He died there at
the venerable age of eighty-eight years, and his second wife also passed away
there.

Unto Dr. and Mrs. Livingston were born two children, but Zina Bruce
died at the age of fourteen months and John Merrill died when but two
months old. Dr. and Mrs. Livingston continued to make their home in
Stillwater, where he continued in the active practice of his profession until
his death, which occurred September 8, 1875. He held a number of local
offices there, including that of city physician, and was always most loyal to
the trust reposed in him. His political allegiance was given to the repub-
lican party, and he took an active interest in the work that was being done
to secure the adoption of republican principles, which he believed were most
conducive to o-ood g;overnment. Fraternallv he was connected with the
Masons and with the Odd Fellows of Stillwater, and his funeral services
were conducted by the latter organization. He was also a member of the
Episcopal church at Stillwater, and his life was upright and honorable, win-
ning for him the regard and trust of those with whom he was associated.

Following her husband's demise, Mrs. Livingston resided in Stillwater
for twelve years, and then sold her property there, removing to Little Sioux,
Iowa, where she resided with her father until his demise. She and her
half brother, Arthur AYallace, then came to Kansas City in 1901 and both
invested in property there. Mr. Wallace is now doing business as a nur-
seryman and landscape gardener, owning five acres of land at MarlboT-ough,
a suburban division of Kansas City. He is an extensive operator in this
department, and is well qualified to care for the trade. He is also engaged
in the real-estate business, and his intense and well directed enterprise con-
stitute important factors in a prosperous career. He now makes his home
with his sister, Mrs. Livingston. The latter has also invested in property
on East Thirtieth street, also on Campbell street and other public highways



74 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

of this district, and in the purchase and sale of property she receives a good
return upon her investments. In September, 1907, she built a nice resi-
dence at No. 3822 Virginia street, where she and her brother re.side. She
belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church, and is a lady of many good traits
of heart and mind, to whom cordial hospitality is extended in many homes.



GEORGE EDAVARD MUEHLEBACH.

George Edward Muehlebach, well known as a representative of the
brewing interests of Kansas City as the president of the Muehlebach Com-
pany, was born August 10, 1881, a representative of one of the pioneer
families of this county. His father, George Muehlebach, now deceased, was
one of a family of four sons and a daughter, who came to America.

The sons all established homes in Kansas City but the daughter remained
at Lafayette, Indiana. All are now deceased. One of the brothers, Peter Muehle-
bach, conducted a wine garden at Forty-first street and State Line and also
was proprietor of one of the first hotels here and Western Star House. The
other brother, John, was interested in the brewery until 1890, when he sold
out to George Muehlebach. The last named was born in Argau, Switzerland,
April 24, 1833, and is a representative of an old Swiss family. He acquired
his education there and on coming to America in 18o7, settled in Lafayette,
Indiana. Two years Avere there passed and on the expiration of that period
he became a resident of Kansas City. He worked at the harness trade in
what was then the town of Westport and later removed to Quindaro, where he
engaged in business for himself. Not long afterward he and his brother
John, who had accompanied him to America, began freighting between Kan-
sas City, Denver, Salt Lake City, Pueblo, Silver Bow, Helena and Butte with
ox-teams, and were thus engaged for several years prior to tlie period of
railroad transi)ortation.

George Muehlebach next turned his attention to milling interests in
Colorado and thus operated until about 1870. when he again came to Kansas
City and wdth his brother John bought the Heliiireich brewery, with which
he was connected until his death December 22, 1905. Fii 1880 they demol-
ished the old plant and erected the present plant, to whidi repeated additions
have been made as the increasing trade demanded until it is now an extensiye
and well housed enterprise. At the beginning the manufactured product
was only two buiidred V)arrcl< per year and today it is about sixty-five thou-
sand, while sixty men arc employed in the manufacture of their celebrated
Pilsner. Mr. Mixlilcbach dcvotc'd hi.< (Mitirc attention to that luisiness and
this enterprise proved very successful.

George Muehlebach was a member of the Swiss American Society and was
interested in all that pertained to the wiliare of hi.- native land. He wa$
also most loyal to his adopted country and was in full sympathy with its
free in.stitutions. Tie belonged to the Catholic church and was independent
in politics. In 18.S0 he married Margaret M. Be.-senl)acher. a daughter of




GEORGE MUEHLEBACH.



HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY 77

John Bessenbacher, of Kansas City, who was of American birth but of Bavar-
ian lineage. They became parents of three children : George E. ; Sophronia
C, the wife of William Buchholz, first assistant prosecuting attorney of Kan-
sas City and a member of the firm of Kelly, Brewster & Buchholz; and Carl
A., who at the age of twenty years is superintendent of the brewery. The
father left to his family an excellent estate which he had built up after com-
ing to America.

George Edward Muehlebach pursued his education in the public schools
and in a German Catholic school of Kansas City, also attending Spalding's
Business College, from which he was graduated at the age of eighteen years.
He then became connected with his father's business as solicitor and collector
and when he had served in that capacity for two years he acted as superin-
tendent of the brewery and later was associated with the office work. He
thus gained a practical knowledge of the business in all of its departments
and in 1904 became a member of the firm and was chosen secretary and treas-
urer. Upon his father's death he succeeded to the presidency, having taken
over the management of the business the year before. He is now conducting
a well established enterprise which is bringing to the company a gratifying
profit.

Mr. Muehlebach is a member of various fraternal and social organiza-
tions. He belongs to the Elks and the Eagle lodges, to the Swiss-American
Society, to the Elmridge Club, the Manufacturers & Merchants Association
and the Rochester Hunt & Fish Clubs. He takes his annual vacation in
a trip each fall to the Indian Territory for hunting and fishing. His relig-
ious faith is that of the Catholic church. He is interested to a large extent
in Kansas City real estate, his property including his own home at No. 3672
Madison, in the suburb of Roanoke.



WILBUR H. DUNN.



Wilbur H. Dunn, superintendent of the parks of Kansas City, was born
in Baldwin, Kansas, September 8, 1864, a son of Brazilla C. and Elizabeth
(Gill) Dunn, the former a native of Ohio, and the latter of England. In
the schools of Baldwin Wilbur H. Dunn acquired his preliminary education,
which was supplemented by study in the University of Oregon, at Eugene,
that state, where he completed his education. He studied engineering in
the university but before completing the course engaged with the Northern
Pacific Rairoad Company, with which he was connected for two years, fol-
lowing its construction through Montana and Idaho till the main line was
completed in 1881. Three years later, in 1884, he came to Kansas City,
Missouri, and engaged in his profession of civil engineering in connection
with the Santa Fe and other railroads, radiating from Kansas City. He has
also been connected in a professional capacity with the Kansas City Cable
Street Railway construction. On leaving here he went to Atlanta, Georgia,
as engineer in charge of the construction of the Augusta Electric Railway



78 HISTORY OF KANSAS CITY

and subsequently was engaged on the construction of the electric railways
of Chicago. He gained wide reputation in this connection for ability and skill