a fourth called the " Cinel Binnigh of
Tulach-og." In 1 372 the family of O'Don-
nell were chiefs of the clan, but their
habitat is now unknown. Swayne's re-
gistry, however, affords a clue to their
position in 1 440, for it contains an entry
which represents " Nellanus Odompnyll"
as one of the chief parishioners of " Eanga,"
the modern Termoneeny (fol. 52 b). Pro-
fessor O'Donovan is of opinion that they
were seated in Glenconkene, which is now
represented by the northern half of the
barony of Loughinsholin. â (An. 1053,
1 1 81; Cambr. Evers., vol. i. p. 243, Ed.
Nov.; O'Flaherty, Ogyg., p. 402.)
' Achedoff)/.- â " Out of the termon of
Aghadowy, conteyninge one ballibetagh,
and the erenaghe's third parte of the
tiethes, 40* ster. per an." â Inq. In the
see Patent the names of thirteen subdeno-
minations are recited, of which the first,
Sygowry, now Segorry, had reference to
the patron saint, being in Irish Suifte
5uaipe, Sedes Guarii. An effort was
made in the beginning of the seventeenth
century to bring the lands of this church
under the operations of the Act 28 Hen.
VIII., by representing it as a conventual
foundation. " Infra putriam de OCane in
co' Coolrane nuper erat qiiidani hospitalis
sive termon nuncupatus termon Sci. Gown/
de Aghadoivy, niodo dissolutus et relictus.
Arenacus sine guardianus dicti hospitalis,
tempore dissolutionis et relictionis ejus-
dem, tarn donatione diversarum persona-
rum in patria prffidicta, quam aliarum
seisitus fuit, ut de feodo, de 4 quarteriis
terra; vocatis Aghadowy, eidem hospitali
proxime adjacentibus, quaj valent per an-
(Decanatus de Beunagh.)
AregylylP x â
nuiu ultra i-eprisas 3' 4''." â (Ul. Inq.,
Londond., No. 4.) Accordingly in a Pa-
tent 2 Jao. I. " the site of the late hospital
or termoe of St. Gowry in O'Cane's coun-
try, with 4 quarters adjoining, called
Aghadowye," was granted, at the rent
of 6r<. 8rf., to Sir George Carew. â (Pat. Jac.
I. p. 57 h.) The inquisition of 1609, how-
ever, finds them for the bishop, and this,
coupled with the exertions of bishop Mont-
gomery, caused the lands to revert to
their lawful owner, who had them secured
to the see in the Patent of 161 5.
â ' Dysei-totwachjll. â ^" Out of the here-
nagh land of Disert O'Twohill, conteyn-
inge one quarter, ioÂ«. ster. per an." â Inq.
This quarter contained the four ballibo'is
of Templedisert, Cloghtegall, Dromifrin,
'' Aregijhjll. â " Out of the herenagh land
of Arregall, conteyninge one quarter
[namely, the 4 balliboes Templearregall,
Owter, Brackagh, and Gortnemoyagh],
\os. per an." â Inq.
' Tawlaght M'[_n]magh. â " Out of the
erenagh land of Tawlaght-drumagarnan,
conteyninge five townes [namely, Drum-
akanany, now Drumnacanon ; Drumagar-
nan, now Drumagarner; Dromeane, now
Druniane; Moneyloghran, now Money-
staghan ; Dromlishy, now Drumoolish]
(whereof the herenagh had one towne
free), the yerelie rent of 1 6' S*" per an." â
Inq. The parish is now called Tamlaght-
*' Dromogaruan. â Now Drumagarner.
See above, p. 53. It had ceased to be a
separate parish in 1609, and was returned
as part of Tamlaght O'Crilly, as in last
' Kylreij. â " The parish of Kilreagh,
contayning ten balliboes, wherein are both
a parson and a viccar presentative, and
the presentation of the said parson and
viccar for the space of 1 70 yeres past [i. e.
since 1439], have appertayned to the ab-
bott of Peter and Paule of Armagh, and
likewise the tiethes were paid unto the
said abbott and his predecessors." â The
said abbott was seised " of and in the 4
towne lands called Killreaugh in posses-
sion of the herenagh O'Demon, and twoe
parts of the tiethes thereof, and of and in
all the tiethes of the fishinge for eeles
near adjoyninge to the same, and also the
2 townlands called Monaghgrane.". â Inq.
To the same religious house belonged the
4 balliboes of Athgieve, now Agivey, an
extraparochial district having a cemetery
and ancient church, on the river Bann,
(Decanatus de Bennagh.)
north of Kilrea. â (0. S., 12.) From the
registry of Primate Swayne, circ. 1430,
it appears that the bishop of Derry was
then a tenant of the see of Armagh in this
parish : " Dominus Primas percipit ab
episcopo Derensi pro manerio de Kylree
in episcopatu Derensi xl. s. ; mille anguil-
las mediocres, et sexaginta grossas, per
annum" (fol. 60 a).
' Ratlowry " Out of the 6i balliboes
of erenagh land in Magherira (whereof
the herenagh hath one free) the yerely
rent of 23' 4'' ; and that in the parish there
is half a towneland belonginge to the lord
busshop's ofEciall." â Inq.
- Eaner/ea. â " Out of the erenagh land
of Any, called Termon Any, conteyninge
4 townes (whereof the herenagh had one
free), the yerely rent of 13' 4"'." â Inq.
'' Kyllagh " Out of the erenagh land
of Killologhan [now Killelagh], conteyn-
inge 4 balliboes [to wit Tironony, Tully-
keeran, Carrowmeanogh, and Tirkane],
(whereof the herenagh had one free), the
yerely rent of 13" 4'*." â Inq.
' Kylcronechan. â " Out of the erenagh
land of Killcronighan, conteyninge 4 bal-
iij â¢ marc.
X â¢ s.
X â¢ s.
X â¢ s.
xiij â¢ s â¢ iiij â¢ ft.
X â¢ s.
liboes (whereof one balliboe was free to
the herenagh), the yerely rent of 1 3' 4''."
' Balenescrine. â " Out of the erenagh
landof Ballinescrine, contayninge sixe bal-
liboes (whereof the herenagh had one free
to himself), the yerely rent of 16' 8''." â
'^ Balle Oskullyn. â The jurors in the in-
quisition of 1609 were ignorant of the
rent. The Patent names one townland,
Ballinscollen al' Inistide. It lies between
Bellaghy and Lough Beg.
' Disevtmaiiyn. â Out of the four balli-
boes the herenagh paid the yearly rent of
1 3.S. 4f/. â Inq. One of these, called in the
Patent Shi-a-Imshna<^ardi/, and now known
as Stranagard, derived its name from a cra-
noge or artificial island in the small lake,
half of which is in this townland. This
little lake lies a short distance to the
N. W. of the village, about 220 yards in
length, and 179 in width. On the Ord-
nance map it is marked Lough ShilHn,
but the more correct form, and as it is
locally called, is Lougk-inis-O'' Lynn
(Ord. Surv. Londond., s. 41.) The other
(Decanatus de Bennagh.)
xiij â¢ s â¢ iiij -cI.
Donboo" iij â¢ marc.
Dunchrun" xx â¢ i.
Tawlaghtard'' xiij â¢ 5 â¢ iiij -d.
was beside it.
Â° Donhoo. â " Out of the herenagh land
of Dunboe, neere the parishe church of
Dunboe, conteyninge 3 balliboes [to wit,
Banreigh, now Bennarees; Dromnegally,
now Dromagully; and Ballyowdage, now
Pottage], over and beside the 2 balliboes
of erenagh laud of Naburny [Btirrenbeg
and Burrenmore], and i balliboe of Ball y-
maddy [Ballyniadigan], which the here-
nagh of that place had free, 5" ster. per
an. and an yerely refection yf the said
bushopp did visite, and not else." â Inq.
Besides these lands which lay on the N. W.
side of the parish, there were the twelve
towns of Grangemore, on the N. E., also
held under the see. See pp. 85, 86.
Â° Dunchrun. â â¢" Out of a balliboe of
erenagh land, belonginge to a chappell
called Donocron [now Duncruu], in the
parishe of Tawlaghtard, 10* sterling per
an." â Inq.
p Tavdaijhtarfl. â " Out of the balliboe
of herenagh land belonginge to the pa-
rishe church of Tawlaghtard 10^ ster.
per an., which said 2 balliboes of here-
nagh land [sc. Tawlaghtard and Dono-
cron] are parcell of the tw'o ballibetaghes
of herenagh land of Tawlaghtard; and
the herenagh holdeth the rest free." The
half of the lake is in the townland " An-
nagh and Moneysterlin," the latter of
which names is a corruption of mainip-
ciji Ophlonin, and is said to have been
derived from a religious house which an
O'Lynn founded somewhere here. The
surrounding district is called Kilnaclieve.
According to the Irish Journal 1641-7,
the island on Lough-inis-O'Lynn was a
fortress of one Shane O'Hagan, and a
place of considerable strength; so much
so that he was able to hold out against a
party of English who attacked it with
cannon, on two several occasions. The
spot must certainly have been a place of
importance when it gave name, in the
reign of Queen Elizabeth, to so extensive
a barony as Loughinsholin.
" Gammys. â " Out of the half balliboe
of herenagh land of Ballynasse, and the
late -vveare neare Ballynasse, m the parish
of Camos, 6' 8'' per an., and alsoe out of
the herenagh land of Camos, contayninge
one quarter neere the parisshe church of
Camos." â Inq. The Patent recites " the
q' of Camus with the castle of Castleroe,
and the ballyboe of Ballynas." bcnle-an-
eapa, ' the town of the waterfall,' was so
called from the famous cataract of Gap
C]iaoilJe, Eascreeve, now the Cutis, which
(Decanatus de Bennagh.)
Ballo[nes]krene de Ardo''
Patent also describes these lands as two
ballibetaghs, and recites nineteen subde-
nominations. An inquisition of 1615 is
more explicit, and finds the see-lands of
Ard M'Gillygen to consist of forty towns
or balliboes, adding, after the recital of
the names, "which 40 balliboes or townes
doe contayne 10 quarters, amountinge to
2h ballibetaghs."â (Ul. Inq.) The whole
of the parish, with the exception of the
small townland of Ballycarton, is held
under the see of Derry.
â 1 Balloljnes^krene de Ardo. â This is not
specified either in the inquisitions or Pa-
tent, but is included in the herenagh land
of Tamlaghtard. The church of Scrin-
de-Ardo, which, from time immemorial,
was a chapelry of this parish, stood on
the N. E. in the townland Craig, at the
east side of the road, a little north of
Castle Leckey, and its site is marked on
the Ordnance Map, " Skreen Church in
ruins." â (Londond., s. 2.) In a Visita-
tion book of the diocese, 1 7 1 8, reference
is thus made to the chapel: " This parish
is divided by a great bog, so that some of
the inhabitants cannot come to church
in winter without travelling six miles.
Hereupon bishop King, with the rector
and parishioners, repaired an old chapel
farther distant from the church, where
vi â¢ s â¢ viij â¢ d.
xiij â¢ s â¢ iiij -d.
ij â¢ marc.
the incumbent is obliged sometimes to
officiate, the benefice being too small to
support him and a curate." The ceme-
tery surrounding the ruined walls was
for a long period used only as a burial
place for idiots, suicides, unbaptized in-
fants, and strangers cast a-shore; but in
1845 it was ploiighedup, the foundations
of the chapel cleared away, and all the
human remains found there were collect-
ed and buried in one pit. The lands about
are those which are valued in the rental.
The ferry at the mouth of the Foyle, be-
tween Magilligan Point and Inishowen,
is called " Ferrit [peappat)] Serin."
' Athlouge. â " Out of the herenagh land
of AUowa [now Aghanloo], conteyninge
three balliboes [namely, Shaneboye, Rin-
faddy, and Balneytemple, containing one
quarter], one yerely refection, only in
the said budiopp's visitation, but noe
other rent." â Inq. It is probably the
Ath-luga of O'Donnellus (i. cap. 100. Tr.
Th., p. 405 h) ; in Irish dt or Qcan
Logo, ' Lugha's ford,' or ' little ford.'
" Tauiaghtinlan. â The patron of Tam-
laghtfinlagan is thus noticed in the calen-
dar of the O'Clerys: pionnlug o Caifi-
lacca pionnloga 1 Ciannacba glinne
geniiion, 'Fionnlugh of Tamlacht-Fionn-
logha in Cianacht of Glen-given,' 3 Jan.
(Decanatus de Bennagh.)
He seems to have been the monk " Find-
luganus," who, according to Adamnan, in-
terposed in the island of Hinba to save
St. Columbkille's life ii. 24. (Tr. Th.,
p. 355 b.) " Finnluga fuit discipulus et
frater S. Fintani de Dunblesque; et ideo
cum eo nominatur: et in peregrinationem
exiit in Albiouem: estque Sanctus qui
colitur in Tamlacht Finnlogain in regione
Kiennachtaj de Glenngemin: Finnloga et
Fintanus duo tilii Demani," &c. â (Trias
Th., p. 383 b, n. 23; ActaSS., pp. 12, 14.)
The herenagh paid 20s. per an. out of the
two quarters of church land." â Tnq.
' Fochwai/U. â " Out of the herenagh
landof Fuoghenyvallye, conteyninge twoe
quarters knowen by these fewer names
followinge, viz. Killewilly [Killywool],
TuUederry [TuUy], CiiUowe [Coolagh],
and Killeitra [Faughanvale], the rent of
10' per an.; and alsoe out of the here-
naghes third parte of the tiethes of the
said parisbe, 10^ star, per an." â Iiiq. The
modern name Faughanvale, which sounds
as if borrowed from the neighbouring
river Faughan, has not the slightest refer-
ence to it. In Irish it is Nua congbcnl,
' Nova habitatio,' and is correctly written
in the Taxation Nocongaill. The Four
Masters write the name liuaconjbail at
the year 1197. Con5bail, 'a habitation,'
is compounded of con, ' together,' and
baile, 'a house,' and is found as the name
of a parish in Conivall, in the county of
J â¢ inarc.
Donegal. With Niia, ' new,' prefixed, it
occurs in Westmeath in the form Notiyh-
aval, in Jlcath as Navaii, in Cork as
Nohoval, in Clare as Nouyhaval, in Kerry
asNohoval-Dahi and Nolmval-Kerry. With
Ua prefixed it becomes Oiighaval, as in
the county of Mayo. From the following
passages of the Leabhar Breac it may be
inferred that the word congbail was prin-
cipally employed as an ecclesiastical term :
" St. Patrick afterwards proceeded into
Ossory, and erected churches [cealla]
and congbhails [congbala] there" (fol.
14 b. a.) " Patrick, accompanied by
Bridget, proceeded to Eas-Ruaidh [Bally-
shannon], and commenced the erection of
a church and congbhail [eclaip acop
congbail] there, in the place at this day
called Disert-Patrick. But Cairpre, the
son of Niall, set his face against him, and
sent two of his people, Carbaoc and Cu-
angus, to take him prisoner. What you
have done is not good, said Patrick: if
you would permit me to erect a congbhail
here, it would become a second Rome of
Italy" (fol. 1 5 J. a.) " Columbkille after this
passed into the country of Connaught on
a preaching visitation [pop ciiaipc a
ppoicepca], erected many churches and
congbhails in that province, among which
was Eas-mic-Ercc, and DrumclifT." â
(Ibid.) See O'Donovan on Annals, 1197,
1539. In King's visitation this church
is styled " Ecclesia vetus S. Conici."
(Decanatus de Bennagh. )
X â¢ s.
XX â¢ s.
Item de Tertiis episcopalibus ejusdem decanatus.
" Bomawe. â " Alsoe out of the here-
nagh land of Boymevoe [Bovevagh], con-
teyninge half a quarter, 5" per an." â Inq.
" Bangoria. â See above at p. 53.
is a very ancient foundation, as may be
inferred from the following pedigree of
the two Guaires, its patron saints:
Monarch of Ireland from
A.D. 32710 A.D. 331.
Founder of the Hy-Tuirtre.
Fest. 17 Feb.
They are thus noticed in connexion
with this church in the calendar of the
O'Clerys: Jan. 9, guaipe beag o Qcaft
Dubcaig 1 moig Li pop bpu banna; mac
Lappen 60 pliocca CoUa Uaip. 'Guaire
ij â¢ marc.
â xiij â¢ s â¢ iiij -d.
xiii â¢ s â¢ iiij â¢ d.
Begof Achadh-Dubhthaigh in Moy-Li, on
the edge of the Bann; son of Lasren, of the
raceof CollaUais.' Again, Jan. 22, Juaipe
m6p o Qca& Dubcaig pop bpu banna.
' Guaire Mor of Achadh-Dubhthaigh on
the edge of the Bann.' The Fir Li, or
' Men of Li,' who gave name to the ter-
ritory in which Aghadowey is situate,
were descended from Laeghaire in the
'â Disert Otivachi/ll. â Dipipc Ui Chuac-
jaiLe, 'O'Tuahill's desert,' so called from
the family which formerly resided here,
of which Kory More O'Tuohill is tradi-
tionally remembered as the last chieftain.
Their descendants, called Toghilh, are still
to be found in this part of the country.
Colgau reckons this church among those
founded by St. Columbkille.â (Tr. Th.,
p. 49J, n. 56.) The cemetery and site of
the old church, locally called Desert, are
in the townland Ballynameen. â (Ord.
Sur. Londond., s. 26.) S. W. of this are
the townlands Keeran and Tirkeran.
y Aregyll. â Qipeagal primarily signi-
fies ' an apartment' or ' habitation :' as
puaip piurii aipfccal Ofippic Xydab
(Decanatus de Bennagh. )
Tawlaght M'^ninaych'' â
O'DoiimaiU/, ' He procured a private apart-
ment for Hugh O'Dounell;' Rucca& lat)
L iKiipeccal uaigneac, 'They were con-
ducted iuto a private apartment.' â (Four
Mast., 159Z.) Sometimes, like the words
ceac, boc, it was adopted in ecclesiastical
use. and was used either simply or in com-
position as denoting a church. Thus
Qipeacal Oaciapog, now Errigal-Kee-
rogue, in the diocese of Armagh ; Qipea-
cal Cpiooo, now Errigal-Trough, in the
diocese ofClogher; Qipeacal mua6a)n.
The name Errigal is also borne liy a re-
markable pointed mountain in Donegal.
The present church was anciently Qipea-
cal Q&aiiindin, St. Adamnan being the
patron of it (Colg., Tr. Th., p. 495 a.)
The cemetery and site of church are in
the townland Ballintemjjie, south of which
is a spot marked on the Ordnance Map
"S. Onan's rock." â (Londonderry, s. 18.)
Onan and Eunan are the vulgar forms
under which St. Adamnan of books is
known in Ireland and Scotland. â (Har-
ris' Ware, vol. i. p. 269; Collections on
Aberdeen, &c. (Spalding Club), p. 508.)
' Tawlaght M'ninaych. â The parish is
now called Tamlaght 0"CriIly, from the
O'Crillys who were formerly herenaghs.
xiij â¢ s â¢ iiij â¢ ct.
â X â¢ s.
xiij â¢ s â¢ iiij â¢ d.
ij â¢ marcas.
xiij â¢ s â¢ iiij â¢ d.
The familyof Ui Cpua&laoicseemstohave
come hither from Connaught, for they
were a branch of the M'Dermots of Moy
Lurg. The cemetery, with a roofless church
which occupies the site of an older, is in
the townland Drumnacannon, beside the
Avretched hamlet of Tamlaght. â (Ord.
Sur. Londond., s. 33.)
" Drumogarvan. â Now merged in Tam-
laght O'Crilly. See above, p. 53.
'' Kylrey. â Written Kilreda in the Tax-
ation. See above, p. 75.
' Rathlourij. â Mat Lupaic, ' Lurach's
fort,' the ancient name, with niacaipe
prefixed, and the last word omitted, makes
Maghera, the modern name (See Reeves'
Eccl. Ant., p. 27.) The church was called
after its patron, St. Lurach, one of the
Fir Li, whose pedigree has been already
given at p. 80, and whose festival was ob-
served on the 17th of February. " Tlie
parishe of Magherira conteyninge 2 baili-
bets â one third part of the tiethes is paid
to the herenagh, out of which he paieth
to the bushopp 20' per an." â Inq.
'' Ecanage. â Termoneeny is called Enga
in the Taxation, Eanegea above, and Any
al' Termoa-Aivj in the Inquis. The he-
renagh paid IQS. per an. to the bishop. â
(Decanatus de Bennagh.)
X â¢ s.
Inq. The east gable stands in the ceme-
tery about half a mile S. of Maghera, in
the townland Mullagh (Ord. Surv.,
" Kyllecronechan CiU Cpuicnecicain,
' Ecclesia Cruthnechani,' so called from
the saint of whom Adamnan writes in his
Life of S. Columbkille, "ejusdem beati
pueri nutritor, spectabilis vitse vir prses-
byter Cruithnechanus." â iii. c. 2. (Tr.
Th., p. 364 a.) Upon which O'Donnellus
furnishes us with the commentary that
after Columba was born in Gartan he was
sent to Tulach-Dubhglaisse [now Temple-
Douglas in the parish of Conwall, midway
between Gartan and Letterkenny,] to be
baptized by Crutlinechanus, son of Ceal-
lachan ; citing the following curious qua-
train from the now-lost Life of the saint
by Mura of Fa than:
'Rujab 1 n-5cipran "oa 6eoin
'St)0 hoiUoli 1 CiU riiic Tleoin
'St)0 baipcat) mac na maicfpa
1 Culac De Dubglaipe.'
' He was born at Gartan by his consent,
And he was nursed at Cill-mic-Neoin;
And the son of goodness was baptized
At Tulaoh Dubhglaise of God.'
St. Cruithnechan's day was the 7th of
March, at wliich Colgan has collected all
â ij â¢ marc.
the little that has been recorded of him.
â (Act. SS., p. 600 [rectejio]). Theher-
enagh paid the bishop 10s. per an. â Inq.
' Kyll-laca â This name, which appears
regularly in the other list, is inserted here in
a rude hand, and has no sum of money spe-
cified. The herenagh paid to the bishop
out of the Tertia 10s. per an. â Inq. Cill
a' Icica, ' church of the lake,' takes its
name from a small sheet of water in Car-
rowmenagh, the townland adjoining, on
the N. W., that in which the ancient
church stood. A portion of the walls with
the nearly disused cemetery is in the
townland Tirnony. â (Ord. Sur, Londond.,
s. 36.) The name of Kieran, the patron
saint, is perpetuated in Tullykeeran, a
townland lying on the N. VV. The town-
land Tirkane is probably the Tirkethin of
king John's grant to Alan of Galloway.
Slaghtneill, another townland, derives its
name from the Leacc, or sepulchral earn,
which is in it ; the initial S in this case,
as well as in Slaghtmanus, which belongs
to a townland in Lower Cumber, being
an accidental prefix.
^ Ballenescrine bailenapcpine, 'town
of the shrine,' called Scpm Colaimcille
in Tir Eoghain by the Four Masters at
1 203. The ruins of the old church stand
in the cemetery on the N. side of the
(Decanatus de Bennagh.)
Moyola, in Moneyconey, one of the ' six
towns of Ballynascreen.' The herenagh
paid out of the tertia 20s. a year. â Inq.
'' Balleoskulhjn. â 'I'liis name of the pa-
rish was derived from the O'Skullins who
were the herenaghs. The earlier one,
however, was derived from the patron
saint, as we find in the calendar of the
O'Clerys: Sept. 7, Coic innpe Come pop
loc beag 1 nUib Cuipcpe, ' S. Toit of
Inis-Toide in Lough-beg, in Ily Tuirtre'
Inistoide is mentioned in the Annals of
Inisfallen at 1 1 12, and in those of Ulster
at 1 129. The name Inktede is preserved
as an aliter for Ballyskullen in the Ulster
Visitation, and the Inquis. The little
island in Lough Beg, on which the ruins
of the church are, contains only seven
acres. The spot, however, is rendered
conspicuous by the steeple and spire
which the Earl of Bristol, then bishop of
Derry, added in 1788, to improve the
view from his mansion at Ballyscullion.
' Dyseiimmiijn. â " The parish of Di-
sertmarten, conteyninge 20 balliboes,
wherein there were both a parson and a
viccar, but they are now united, and there
is nowe only a parson presentative, to
whome are paid twoe third parts of the
tiethes (except the tieths of the 2 townes
of Aighiter, which belonge to the late
abbay of Armagh), and to the herenagh
â s â¢ 111.1
â¢ 5 â¢ iiij
â¢ s â¢ iiij
thother third parte, out of which he paid
yerely unto the lord bushopp of Derry
10" per an." â Inq. There was a cemetery
in Derry called from St. Martin; and a
manuscript of the Gospels, called "the
Gospel of Martin," traditionally believed
to have been brought with him to Ireland
by St. Patrick, was preserved in Dunbo
till 1 182. See the Four Masters, and.
O'Donovan's note, at that year.
' Cammys. â Of the ancient abbey of
Cambos or Camus nothing now remains
but the cemetery and the shaft of a sculp-
tured cross, which, having been removed
from its socket, lay neglected till it was
turned to barbarous purpose by being
converted into a gate post, in which posi-
tion it is now to be seen on the right as
you enter the church yard. The patron
saint was Comghall. Adamnan, in one
of the most curious chapters of his life of
Columbkille, having made mention of the
fortress called the " Munitio Cethirni,"
which the Annals allude to under the
equivalent name Dun Ceicipn, and which
is now known as " the Giant's Sconce,"
relates how a soldier of Christ called Fin-
anus being at the place, and finding a dead