eBooksRead.com books search new books
Chapman Publishing Company.

Portrait and biographical record of Rockland and Orange Counties, New York. Containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the counties. Together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States (Volume pt.2) online

. (page 32 of 91)
Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of Rockland and Orange Counties, New York. Containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the counties. Together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States (Volume pt.2) → online text (page 32 of 91)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
now living. William, who was a member of an
Iowa regiment during the Civil War, died after
the close of the conflict; Edward, who served in
the Seventy-second New York Infantrj- and parti-
cipated in the battle of Bull Run, died some years
after the close of the Rebellion. Samuel H., the
next to the eldest of the family, and ovir subject's
father, was born in Sugar Loaf, March 25, 1827.
At the age of twenty years, in 1847, '^^ went to
New York City, reaching that place with but $j
in his possession, and there he secured a position
as clerk in a butter store, near Washington Mar-
ket. In 1853 he resigned from that place and
became connected with the firm of Nelson, Wells
& Co., proprietors of a wholesale fish store at
No. 81 Dey Street, which was said to be the
largest market of its kind on the west side of the
city. After .some years with that firm, he entered
the wholesale produce and commission business,
and was thus engaged until 1882, when he retired
from active labors. He made his home in Jersey
City until December, 1893, when he came to
Middletown, and now resides at the Madi.son
House.

The mother of our subject, PCliza A., was born
in Mystic, Conn., became the wife of Samuel H.
Wood in 1852 in New York City, where she died
in 1 88 1. Her father, Capt. Thomas Wells, for
many years a re.sident of Mystic, Conn., followed
the occupation of a whaler for a time, but later
embarked in the wholesale fish business at Wash-
ington Market, New York City, where he had



three large stores. His son. John had a retail

stand in Wa.shington Market. The first repre-
sentatives of the Wells family in America were
two brothers, one of whom settled in Pennsyl-
vania, and the other, Thomas, went to Connecti-
cut. From the latter this branch of the family
sprung.

The subject of this notice is one of two children,
his sister being Carrie, Mrs. B. F. Heard, who
died in Jersey City. Nelson W. was born in New
York City, on the 15th of September, 1854, and
was graduated from the high school there, later
attending the military academy at Norwalk, Conn.
On completing his studies, he became clerk in the
wholesale butter store of W. i. & C. M. Young,
of New York, with whom he remained about
eight years. Then, in partnership with his father,
under the firm name of S. H. Wood & Son, he
started in the wholesale butter and produce busi-
ness at No. 8 1 Dey Street, where he remained from
1878 until 1889. In 1885 his father sold out his
interest in the business, leaving him sole proprie-
tor. Mr. Wood still owns the building, but has
leased it to other parties. In 1889 he left New
York Cit}' and came to Middletown; subsequently
he became a member of the firm of Smith &
Wood, and engaged in the brick business on
Wickham Avenue for three years. At the expi-
ration of that period he disposed of his interest in
the concern and retired from business. While in
New York he was an active member of the Mer-
cantile Exchange of that city. In Middletown
he married Miss F. Armantha Robertson, who
was born in South Centreville, and received an
excellent education in this city, where her father,
George W. Robertson, engaged in the manufact-
ure of brick. They are the parents of two sons.
Nelson Wells, Jr., and Robertson Garfield.

In politics a Republican, Mr. Wood was elected
upon his party ticket, in the .spring of 1894, to
represent the Fourth Ward as a member of the
Board of Supervisors. He is still serving in that
capacity, in which he has been an active factor in
promoting the interests of the place. His wife is
a member of the Second Presbyterian Church, to
which he is a liberal contributor. He is connected
with the Excelsior Hook and Ladder Company,




T. D. TUTHILL



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1041



and is a member of the Middletown Club. While
in Jersey City he united with Hudson Lodge,
K. of P., and now holds membership in Lancelot
Lodge in Middletown. In Jersey City he also
united with the Royal Arcanum, to which he still
belongs. He has been unusualh- successful in
his ventures, and is now in independent circum-
stances. As a citizen, both in an official capacity
and in private affairs, it has ever been his aim to
promote the welfare of Middletown, and this citv
owes not a little to his sagacity and energ}-.



:^#G



ji .



OWNSEND D. TUTHILL is one of the
oldest busine.ss men of Goshen, in point of
years in which he has carried on commercial
pursuits here. For fifteen years he was superin-
tendent of the gasworks, continuing in that ca-
pacity until July, 1894, when the plant was sold.
He is a practical plumber, gas and steam fitter,
and for several decades has had nearly all of the
work in that line here. For fifteen years he was
superintendent of the water works and also served
as Treasurer of the Board.

Our subject represents the eighth generation
of the Tuthill family in America. He traces his
ancestry to Henry Tuthill, who was born in Eng-
land about 1600. John, a son of Henry, was
born in England July 16, 1635, and married De-
liverance King February 16, 1657, settling at
Southold, L. I- His four sons were John, Henry,
Daniel and Nathaniel, and he also had five
daughters. His death occurred when he was in
his eighty-third year.

The next in line of descent was John, Jr., born
February 14, 1658. He was married to Mehitable
Wells, by whom he had five sons and two daugh-
ters, namel\-: John, Elizabeth, James, Joshua,
Abigail, Daniel and Freegift. He died Novem-
ber 26, 1754, aged ninety-six years, nine months
and twelve days. Freegift, his son, was born
August 8, 1698, and married Abigail Goldsmith
in June, 1727, their union resulting in the birth
of four children, namely: Abigail, who was born
on Long Island; Nathaniel, born January 17,
'730; Joshua, October 25, 1732; and Freegift,

46



born in Orange County in June, 1734. Nathaniel
married Margaret Herod, who was born on Long
Lsland August 8, 1739, and they had three chil-
dren, Benjamin, Mar\- and Nathaniel. Joshua,
the third child of Freegift and Abigail Tuthill,
was born October 25, 1732, at Brook Haven,
L. I., where his father bought a place in 1722,
and four months prior to his birth his father re-
ceived a deed for a tract of land he had bought
two years before in Orange County. A portion
of this property is now occupied by his grandson,
Horace Tuthill.

Upon this tract, which comprised four hundred
acres, Freegift Tuthill in 1732 built a log house,
in which he lived until 1744. He then built a
stone house, which in 1814 was taken down and
replaced by the present residence. Joshua mar-
ried Mary Conklin, who was born September 15,
1733, and they reared four daughters and two
sons, namely: Mehitable, born Augu,st i, 1759;
Mary, October 29, 1760; Abigail, December 4,
1762; Rebecca, July 29, 1767; Joshua, November
2, 1771; and Freegift, April 29, 1776. Mehitable
married Samuel Boyd, and had seven children:
Joshua, Mehitable, John, Mary, Keturah, Mar-
garet and Freegift. Mary died in early woman-
hood. Abigail married James Horton and they
had four children: Abigail, Rebecca, vSusan and
James. Abigail married Stephen St. John.

Joshua, son of Jcshua and Mary Tuthill, mar-
ried Catharine Smith, who was born December
15, 1774, and they had five children, as follows:
Freegift, who was born June 17, 1798: Mary,
November i, 1799; Adaline, December 20, 1801;
Horace, January 26, 1804; and James S., August
27, 1815. Freegift married Martha, daughter of
Tabitha Smith, who was the \-oungest daughter
of Solomon Tuthill, grandfather of the Tuthills
of Oxford. Freegift and Martha had six chil-
dren: Emily, Joshua, Charles, Theodore, James
and Martha. Mary married William Jackson,
and had one son, Thomas B. Jackson. Adaline
became the wife of Robert Case, and they had
three children: John, William and Catharine.
Horace married Martha Maria Dusenberry, Octo-
ber 8, 1829, and thej- had six children: Town-
send D., William H., George, James E., Horace S.



1042



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAI, RECORD.



and Thomas J. James S. married Harriet Smith,
and they had four children: Henry, EHzabeth,
Egbert J. and Mary J. Freegift, son of Joshua
and Mary Tuthill, married Elizabeth Swezy, by
whom he had five children: John, Frances,
Charles, George and James.

Horace, father of our subject, engaged in op-
perating the old Tuthill homestead in Hampton-
burgh until he retired. He is now in his ninety-
second year and is one of the oldest surviving
citizens of the county. His grandfather, Joshua,
and two great-uncles, Nathaniel and Freegift,
served in the Revolutionary War, and the last-
named died while in the service.

Of the six sons of Horace Tuthill we note the
following: Townsend D., the eldest, is the sub-
ject of thi.s sketch. Henry, who was born No-
vember 3, 1833, married Eliza Cornwell, who
was born October 12, 1835, and they had one
child, Mazie h. George, whose birth occurred
August 22, 1836, was married, October 16, 1861,
to Julia Blair, who was born in January, 1843,
and they had one child, Lizzie M. James E.,
who was born November 26, 1842, has never
been married. Horace S., born December 31,
1844, was united in marriage, April 6, 1869, with
Sadie E. Weeks, who was born July 25, 1850,
and they had four children: Horace S., Thomas
W., Edwin R. and Edna May. Thomas J. was
born February 7, 1848, and died unmarried Oc-
tober 18, 1890.

The .subject of this sketch was born on the old
home farm in Hamptonburgh, November 21,
1830, and is the eldest in his father's family. He
obtained a common-school education, and when
he was in his sixteenth year began serving an
apprenticeship to the tinsmith's trade in Chester.
At the end of a year and a-half he went to Mid-
dletown and completed his knowledge of the busi-
ness, remaining there until 1851. At that time
he located in Goshen and embarked in busine.ss
for himself as a tinsmith, on the corner of Main
and Church Streets. Two years later he erected
a building and put in a full line of hardware,
stoves and tinware. For three years the business
was conducted under the firm name of Tuthill &
Chevee, after which our subject was alone until



1859. He then .sold out and removed to his pres-
ent location, turning his attention more particu-
larly to plumbing and steam-fitting. He em-
ploys six or more men to carry out his contracts,
and has a centrally located shop at No. 71 West
Main Street. He was the originator of the idea
of heating houses on the one-pipe system for
steam, instead of using two pipes as formerly, and
has made many other practical inventions. He
is Treasurer of the Excise Board, on which he has
served as a member at various times. A stanch
Democrat, he has often been sent as a delegate
to county conventions and has served on the
county committees. Besides those mentioned he
has held the office of Village Collector for several
terms and was a member of the fire department
of Goshen.

Mr. Tuthill has a pleasant home on West
Street, presided over by the lady whom he married
in Middletown November 29, 1853. Her maiden
name was Mary 8. Bodine, and she was born in
Pine Bush, thiscounty, February 22, 1834. They
have four children: Louisa C, Charles W., Anna
B. and Mary A., all of whom are at home.
Charles, who is a practical business man, is now
with his father. He was born June 2, 1858, and
was united in marriage with Miss Mary J. Avery,
whose birth occurred August 17, 1864. They
have one child, a son, Harrv F.



I j ZAL T. HAYES has been a resident of Mid-
K3j dletown for twenty-nine years. He is Treas-
\^ urer and General Manager of the tannery
owned by the Howell- Hinchman Company, the
other officers being H. C. Howell, President, and
T. E. Hayes, Secretary. The tannery, which oc-
cupies two blocks, is located on Fulton Street, ex-
tending from Wawayanda to Mulberry Street.

The main building is three stories in height
and 82x288 feet in dimensions, while the office
and wareroom, also three stories high, is 100x40
feet in dimensions. A small lake near the tan-
nery furnishes an abundance of water supply



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1043



for power. There are two engines, one of one
hundred and the other of forty horsepower, and
boilers with a capacity of two hundred and thirty-
five horsepower. From ten to twelve tons of
bark, both oak and hemlock, are u.sed daily, be-
ing brought here from Sullivan County. The
hides are secured principally in this state, the
works having a capacity of one hundred and fifty
a da\'. The business is a flourishing one and the
plant is never shut down, but furnishes steady
employment for one hundred and twenty-five
hands. In addition to the office in Middletown,
the company has an office in Newark, N. J.

The Hayes 'family is of Scotch descent, and
Thomas Hayes, grandfather of the subject of this
sketch, took part in the early wars of our coun-
try. The father and mother, S. R. and Lydia
(King) Hayes, were born in Bloomfield, Essex
County, N. J., where the former was a manufact-
urer for many years, his death occurring there
when he was eightj'-five. The mother, who died
at the age of seventy-six, was a daughter of John
I. King, an architect and builder of Bloomfield.
The family was directly descended from Rufus
King, one of the signers of the Declaration of In-
dependence.

The three children born to the union of S. R.
and Lydia Hayes are as follows: Thomas, who
resides in Bloomfield, and is engaged in business
at Newark, N. J.; Uzal T.; and Mrs. Sarah
Johnson, of Bloomfield. The second of these
was born in Bloomfield, February 5, 1834, and
was there reared to manhood, completing the
cour.se of study in Seymour's Institute. Bloom-
field had the first free school in New Jer.sey, and
in it our subject was a student for one quarter.
In 1856 he embarked in the leather business in
Newark, being first a salesman for T. P. Howell
& Co. In December, 1865, he became a partner
in the same firm, which took the name of Howell,
Hinchman & Co., buying out Moore's Tannery
in Middletown and considerably enlarging the
plant.

In i88g the business was incorporated with
H. C. Howell President, T. E. Hayes Secre-
tary, and our subject Treasurer and General
Manager. His .second son, H. M., is also a



stockholder and actively connected with the en-
terprise. There is a capital stock of $100,000,
and the business is in a most flourishing condi-
tion. In addition to this enterpri.se, Mr. Hayes
is a Director in the Savings Bank, of which he
was one of the organizers in 1869.

The marriage of Mr. Hayes took place in
Bloomfield, N. J., in i860, his wife being Miss
Caroline A. Morris, a native of that place, where
her father, James Morris, was engaged in farming
and the milling business. She died July 3, 1888,
leaving four children: Harry M., a graduate of
the academy and a stockholder and superintend-
ent of the tannery; Thomas E., a graduate of Mt.
Pleasant Academy and now Secretary of the firm;
Caroline, Mrs. McBrair, of Middletown: and
Mabel, an accomplished young lady, who is with
her father.

For many years Mr. Hayes was a member of
the Board of Education. He has also been a
Water Commissioner for a long time, and for
four years served as President of the board. So-
cially he is a Royal Arch Mason, and a demitted
member of the Odd Fellows' lodge at Newark,
N. J. Besides his residence at No. 52 South
Street he owns other property in this city. In
politics he advocates Republican principles. In
1875 he was appointed Trustee of the Middle-
town State Homeopathic Asylum, and soon after
his appointment he became Treasurer of the
board, which office he held until March, 1894.
During his incumbency of the position most of the
present buildings were erected. Since retiring
from that office he has .served as Trustee.



0AVID R. CLARK. Among the well known
agriculturists of the town of Wawaj'anda,
who, through indefatigable energy and in-
domitable perseverance, have achieved consider-
able success, we mention the name of Mr. Clark.
He was born in the town of Minisink, September
4, 1827, and having spent most of his life in the



I044



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



immediate locality of his birth, he is well known
among his fellow-citizens, and his course in life
has been such as to commend him to their es-
teem and confidence.

Our subject grew to manhood and was educated
in the town of his birth and was the son of Abra-
ham and Catherine ( Robinson) Clark, natives of
Orange County. The ancestors of Mrs. Clark
were Scotch, while the Clarks were Holland-
Dutch. The parents reared a family of nine chil-
dren, of whom our subject is the only survivor.
His brother James V., a prominent farmer of this
.section, died July 14, 1895. The other members
were Jane, Clarissa, William, Robinson, Sarah
and two who died in infancy. The grandfather
of our subject, who bore the name of James, was
born near New York City, and was the first of
the family to locate in this section. His son Ab-
raham was a farmer all his life, and in 1850 lo-
cated upon the farm where our subject's brother
James V. lived until his death. When ready to
begin in life for himself, David R. was married,
June 24, 1857, to Miss Julia T. Little, daughter
of Youngs Little, and to them were born three
children. George W. is now deceased, as is also
Martha J., whose birth occurred August 6, i860.
David Robinson was born August 16, 1862,

When twent\ - four years of age, Mr. Clark
went to New York City and engaged in the milk
business, having a route in that cit\' and in
Brooklyn. He followed this for a time, but the
venture not proving as successful as he wished,
he abandoned it and began teaming, living in the
metropolis from 1852 to 1869. In the latter year
he returned to Orange County and for one year
rented land in the town of Wawayanda. In the
spring of 1870 he bought the farm whereon he
now makes his home, which is one hundred and
eight\-six and one-half acres in extent, and on
it he carries on general farming and dairying.

In early life Mr Clark was a Whig, but since
the organization of the Republican part}- has used
his influence in favor of its candidates. He has
never aspired to official distinction, finding his
time fully occupied in attending to his private
duties. He is a member of the Presbyterian
Church and in the congregation which he attends



has held the oiBce of Trustee for some years. Mr.
Clark is an upright, honorable citizen, a kind
husband, indulgent father, and withal is a first-
class man.



J G. WILLIAM MUSBACH, proprietor of
^ the Musbach Hotel at Middletown, was
^ born iji Langensalza, .Saxony, German)',
June 22, 1868. His father. Christian Musbach,
also a native of that country, served in the German
army for several years. He learned his trade of
slate roofing in Germany, and when he came to
America, in June, 1883, continued to follow his
trade for a time, but is now living a retired life
in Middletown. The mother, formerly Clara
Peterselie, was also a native of Germany, and
died in her native land many years ago, firm in
the faith of the Lutheran Church. To Christian
and Clara Musbach were born three children, two
of whom came to America.

The subject of this sketch was reared in his
native land, and attended the public school until
fourteen years of age, when he commenced the
study of law in his native place, under a lawyer,
remaining in his office until 1883, when he came
to America. He left Bremen for New York City,
coming direct to Middletown, and at once com-
menced learning the tailor's trade under Christian
Klohs. After remaining with him three years,
he worked at his trade in Paterson, N. J., and in
New York City for two years. Returning to
Middletown, he worked at his trade until 1888,
and then engaged as clerk and bar-tender at
Wengenroth's Restaurant in Goshen, and later at
the St. Elmo. In 1890 he rented the building
where he is now located, on the corner of Beattie
and Railroad Avenue, and in September of that
year opened a bar. In January, 1893, he pur-
chased the building and remodeled it into a hotel,
which he opened under the name of the Musbach
Hou.se the same spring. It is a comfortable, well
furnished house, and the rate is $1 per day. The
house has large cold-storage capacity.

Mr. Musbach was married in Middletown to
Miss Lily A. Behme, a native of this city, and




W. H. WOODRUFI-", M. I).



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1047



tliey have two children, Lil}' C. and William
H. Mr. Musbach is a member of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, having first
joined Orange Lodge No. 506, at Goshen, but
he is now a member of Luther Lodge No. 380.
He was reared a Lutheran, and .still retains his
belief in the teachings of that church, but there
being no organization of that body in Middle-
town, he has never united with any other relig-
ious body. Politically he is a Democrat, and
has served his party as a delegate to the conven-
tions in both county and senatorial districts. He
has been a member of the City Central Commit-
tee, and has taken an active part in political
affairs.

IILLIAM HENRY WOODRUFF, M. D.
The history of the Woodruff family in
America dates back to the year 1670, when
John W'oodruff came to this country from Eng-
land and settled in Hartford, Conn., removing,
however, .soon afterwards to Bridgehampton,
L. I. It had its representatives in the War of
the Revolution, and its members have been noted
for patriotic devotion to their countr)'. The pa-
ternal grandparents of Dr. William H. Woodruff
were born in Bridgehampton, and came to Orange
County about 1790, a few years after the close of
the Revolution.

Richard Woodruff, our subject's father, was
born in the town of Montgomery, Orange Coun-
ty, and spent his entire life upon a farm, being a
thorough and successful agriculturist, though
when 3'et at home and unmarried he was urged
by his father to enter upon a medical education.
He was coiuiected with the histor}- of the village
of Walden from a very early period, and was one
of its most sterling, reputable citizens. On the
division of the old Whig party he became a Dem-
ocrat, sustaining the party's principles as long as
he lived. He was dignified and courteous, pos-
sessed a powerful physique, genial manners and
a companionable disposition. In all local social
and moral undertakings he took a deep interest,
and to them he gave willing aid. Though of a
sensitive nature and quick to re.sent an injury, he



was equally quick in appreciating a favor or
an expression of kindness. His death occurred
at Walden when he was in his seventy-ninth
year.

The mother of the Doctor bore the maiden
name of Charlotte Jessup. She was born in the
town of Montgomery, on the old Jessup home-
stead, which joined the Woodruff farm and was
situated on the present site of East Walden. She
was a most exemplary Christian woman, and
died at the Walden home at the age of about
seventy-eight. The Jessup family is of English
extraction and was first represented in this coun-
try in 1637, its members taking a prominent
part in the Colonial wars. Her parents were
born in the town of Southampton, Suffolk Coun-
ty, L. L, and came to Orange County in 1790,
at the same time the Woodruffs settled here.

In the family of Richard Woodruff there were
three sons and one daughter, William Henr\- be-
ing the youngest of the number. His two
brothers, as also his two paternal uncles, dying
childless, he and his two sons are the only living
lineal male representatives to-day of the ancestral
name. He was born in Walden, N. Y., May 28,
1 83 1, and spent his early years upon his father's
farm. His educational advantages were excep-
tionally good. After leaving the district school,
he had a preparatory collegiate course at Walden,
a number of terms in the Montgomery Academy,
and was graduated from Union College (now
Union University) at Schenectady, N. Y., in the
Class of '51, having entered in an advanced or
I junior class in 1849. He was honored with a
commencement oration and an election to the
Phi Beta Kappa Society when he took his A. B.
degree.

On completing his literary course at Union, at
the age of twenty-one, he passed one winter as
clerk in the office of Hon. William C. Hasbrouck
in the city of Newburgh. He then began study-
ing medicine with Dr. A. H. Thompson, of Wal-
den, and in 1852 took a primary course of lect-
ures at Castleton, Vt. In 1853-54 he attended
the Albany Medical College, receiving his degree
of M. D. in 1854. In October, soon after his



Online LibraryChapman Publishing CompanyPortrait and biographical record of Rockland and Orange Counties, New York. Containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the counties. Together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States (Volume pt.2) → online text (page 32 of 91)
Using the text of ebook Portrait and biographical record of Rockland and Orange Counties, New York. Containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the counties. Together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States (Volume pt.2) by Chapman Publishing Company active link like:
read the ebook Portrait and biographical record of Rockland and Orange Counties, New York. Containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the counties. Together with is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014