Charles Augustus Hulbert.

Annals of the church and parish of Almondbury, Yorkshire online

. (page 21 of 57)
Online LibraryCharles Augustus HulbertAnnals of the church and parish of Almondbury, Yorkshire → online text (page 21 of 57)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1739-40); Margaret, the second daughter, married Sir John
Dalston, of Heath, Bart. ; the third, Frances, married the
Marquis of Winchester by whom she had the present (1741)
Duke of Bolton ; fourth, Mary, married Thomas Wilkinson, of
Kirkbridge, in Yorkshire ; and fifth, Elizabeth, married to John
Andrews, of Frechville ; and Peter, who died un-married.

II. Sir John Ramsden, the only surviving son of Sir William
Ramsden and Elizabeth Palmes, was created a Baronet by King
William III, Nov. 30, 1689. He married Sarah, only daughter of
Charles Butler, of Coates, in co. Lincoln, Esq., by whom he had
eight sons, who all died unmarried.

III. Sir William Ramsden, Baronet, who married Elizabeth,
second daughter of John, Viscount Lonsdale ; by whom he had
six sons and five daughters ; of which Catherine, the eldest,



WODDE AND RAMSDEN FAMILIES. 227

married Sir William Lowther, of Swillington, in co. Ebor, Bart.
Sir William Ramsden dying June, 1736, was succeeded in dignity
and estate by his eldest son.

IV. Sir John Ramsden ; who represented Appleby, in West-
moreland, for many years, living in 1 741, unmarried. The " English
Baronetage " here ends.

In the Parish Church Chest of Almondbury, the Author found
an imperfect (as to some dates) pedigree of the family of Ramsden,
commencing with the last named Sir John, who, it states, married
Margaret, daughter and heir of William Norton, of Lawley. co.
York, and relict of Thomas Liddell Bright, of Badsworth, who was
buried at Badsworth May, 1739. She married secondly (anon)
14th August, 1748, and died 1778. Sir John himself died 10
April, 1769. They had issue John, Elizabeth and Margaret.

V. Sir John Ramsden, who married Louisa Susannah, fifth
daughter and co-heir of Charles, Viscount Irwin, in Scotland ;
married in Stanhope Street, May Fair, 7 July, 1787. She died 22
Nov., 1857. Sir John died in Hamilton Place, Piccadilly, 15
July, 1839, aet. 83. There is a handsome monument to his
memory in the Parish Church, Huddersfield. Elizabeth married
William Weddell, Esq., of Newby ; M.P. successively for Hull
and Malton ; who died without issue 1792, buried at Ripon.
Margaret married, 1774, at Brotherton, Thomas Reynolds, third
Lord Ducie, who died without issue 1785, buried at Tortworth, co.
Gloucester.

VI. John Charles Ramsden, of Buckden, in parish of
Arncliffe, son and heir apparent, born 30 April, 1788; M.P. for
Malton from 1812 to his decease at Richmond, Surrey, 29 Dec,
1836. He married Isabella, seventh and youngest daughter of
Thomas, first Lord Dundas, and sister of Lawrence, first Earl of
Zetland; born 24 Feb., 1790; bapt. at St. George's, Hanover
Square; married 4th May, 1814, at 19, Arlington Street, London.
Still living (1880) full of years and honors. She exerted an
excellent influence during the minority of her second son, the
present

VII. Sir John William Ramsden, Bart, (the eldest John



22 5 LONGLEY HALL.

William having died 1830, in his sixth year), who was born at
Newby Park, Sept. 14, 183 1, bapt at Byrom, and succeeded his
Grandfather, 1839, in the Title and Estates, under Trustees and
Guardians. Ke has held the office of Under-Secretary of State for
War, and represented the Monmouth Boroughs in Parliament, and
at present represents the Eastern Division of the West Riding
of York.

He was educated at Eton and at Trinity College, Cambridge
(M.A. 1852); sat as MP. for Taunton 1853-7, for Hythe 1857-9,
for the West-Riding of Yorkshire, 1859-65, and for Monmouth
District 1868-74, when he unsuccessfully contested the Eastern
Division of the West-Riding; is a Dep. Lieut, oi Invernesshire ;
was High Sheriff of Yorkshire 1867-8; has been Hon. Col. of 1st
West Riding Artillery Volunteers since 1862.

Under the care of his Trustees until the attainment of his
majority in 1852, and subsequently, the ancient Manor of Almond-
bury with Huddersfield has been vastly extended in buildings and
population, and in consequence of able management, Huddersfield
has become one of the handsomest towns in Yorkshire.

The alliances of the last preceding generation of the family
include the noble houses of Winchester, Ellenborough, Strafford,
Hawke, Paulet and Muncaster. William, second son of Sir John
Ramsden (V), Rear-Admiral, R.N., born 1789; died at Byrom,
without issue, 30 Dec, 1853. Frederick Henry, Grandson, born
9 June, 1830, Capt. Coldstream Guards, was killed at Inkermann,
unmarried, 5 Nov., 1854.

Sir John William Ramsden married, 1865, Lady Helen Guen-
dolen St. Maur, youngest daughter of the 12th Duke of Somerset,
who have two daughters, Hermione Charlotte and Rosamunda
Isabel, and a son and heir, John Frechvile, born January 7th,
1877. And their occasional visits to New Longley Hall (in
general occupied by Major Graham, the able Agent of the Estate)
pleasant in themselves, leave such traces as the Erection of
the Somerset Bridge, and the Restoration of the Chancel of
Almondbury Church. St. John's Church, Huddersfield, was erected
under the powers of the will of Sir John Ramsden; the first



FRECHVILLE FAMILY. 229

stone being laid by the present Baronet, July 21st, 1869. Newsome
and St. Andrew's Churches have since arisen under his patronage.
We add the following Proofs and Illustrations :

Frechville Family.

Hutchinson's History of Cumberland, contains the pedigree of
this eminent family of Frechvile, under the Parish of Burghe ;
including their connection with those of Dykes, Salkeld,
Brougham, Lawson, Lamplugh, Ballantine and Brisco by marriage.
Thomas Dykes, Esq., 15th in descent, married, 3rd Charles I,
Joyce, second daughter of John Frechville, brother of Sir Peter,
of Staveley, created Lord Frechville. This gentleman adhering
to the Royal cause, and having been an active partisan for the
King, was, after the King's forces were subdued, eagerly sought
after by the Republicans, whom he eluded for upwards of 12
months, by concealing himself, when in pursuit of him, in a
Mulberry tree in front of the house, part whereof still remains.
He was afterwards caught, and kept prisoner in a dungeon in
Cockermouth Castle, where he died. His freedom was repeatedly
offered to him by the Republicans if he would change his
principles, and upon his refusal, threatening to increase the same.
This account was given by his grandson Frechville.

In the Genealogist, August, 1878 — from the Visitation of
Derbyshire, 1662-3, by William Dugdale, Esq., Norroy King
at Arms :

Frechville. — Arms, azure, a bend between six eschallops.
Argent; Crest A demi-angel ppr., holding with both hands an
arrow.

Peter Frechville, Esq., of Staveley, m. Margaret, fil. Arthur Kay,
of Woodsome.

Sir Peter Frechville, m. Jocosa, fil. Thos. Fleetwood de Vach in
Co. Bucks.

John Frechville, Baron Frechville, of Staveley, m. Sarah, fil Sir
John Harington.

In the History of the City of York, 1785, vol. i, p. 312; is a
list of the principal persons concerned in the Civil War. A kind



230 FRECHVILLE FAMILY.

of Convention, made Sept. 29, 1692, at Rodwell, and "signed by
Henry Bellasyse, William Savile, Edward Osborne, John Rams den,
Ingram Hopton and Frances Nevile on the King's party ; and
Thomas Fairfax, Thomas Maleveter, William Lister, William White,
John Farrar and John Stockdale of the other party.

In the Life of Sir John Reresby, 1634-89, by himself, edited
by Mr. Cartwright, 1875 :

Lionel Reresby, son of Lionel, of Thybergh, had eight daughters.
Ellen, married to Marmaduke Tyrwbitt, of Kettleby, Lincolnshire,
whose daughter married one Coates, of the same County ; whose
daughter (Rosamond) married Sir John Ramsden, of Byrom.
Another daughter, Barbara, married first, Thomas Pilkington, of
Bradley, Esq., whose only daughter married Ramsden of Byrom,
grandfather of the aforesaid John Ramsden ; Barbara- married
secondly Robert Savile, of Methley, an ancestor of the Earl of
Mexborough.

In Fox's History of Pontefract, 1827. — Among the Volunteers
on the King's party at the Siege, in 1644, the third division was
called that of Sir John Ramsden. The following note occurs :
" Sir John Ramsden, of Longley, near Huddersfield. This is the
original seat of this ancient and respectable family. A branch of
it resided at Lascel Hall, near Kirkheaton ; and the ancient seat
was forsaken for the more agreeable one of Byram. This Sir John,
after the surrender of the Castle of Pontefract at the close of the
second Siege, entered into that of Newark, where he died. The
estates and name of this respectable family have descended to the
present baronet, Sir J. Ramsden, of Byram."

Mr. Cartwright yof the Public. Record Office), in his chapters on
the History of Yorkshire, page 202, gives a letter of Sir Henry
Savile to Richard Beaumont, wherein he speaks of his " Cozen of
Langley ; " and in a note explains the connection and remarks.
To the subsidy levied in 1595 Wm. Ramsden, Esq., and John
Ramsden, gent., were the largest contributors in Almondbury —
the former being assessed at ^20, in lands, the latter at £6 8s.
4d. in lands. The Manor of Huddersfield was purchased by
William of the Queen, 30th August, 1599, as appears by an entry



NEW OR NETHER LONGLEY HALL. 23 1

in the Docquet Book of that date. There was an inquisition of
his estates taken at Halifax, on the 20th June, 1623, shortly after
his death ; before Thomas Lovell, Esq., Escheator for Yorkshire,
and a Jury. It was certified that " William Ramsden, nuper de
Longley, Armiger, was seized of the Manors of Saddelworth, or
Quick, &c, formerly parcel of the possessions of the Priory of
Kirklees, of the Manor of Huddersfield, and all houses, buildings,
lands, tenements, meadows, pastures, rents, reversions, heredita-
ments whatsoever, belonging to the same ; of a capital messuage
in the town of Almondbury, called Longley Hall, &c, &c. Sir
John is declared to be the son and heir of William, and to have
been 28 years old at his father's death." Again, page 303 : The
King refers a petition to the Lord President of the North and the
Councell there, together with Sr. Henry Savile and Sr. Richard
Beaumont, Knights and Baronets, Sr. John Ramsden, Knt,
Christopher Warnsford and John Keye, Esquires; to which he
adds in a note : son of William Ramsden, of Longley, Esq., that he
bought Byrom from Marmaduke, son of Michael Constable, a
younger son of Sir Robert, of Everingham, who had married
Anne, a natural daughter of Anthony Besson, of Byram. Sir John
was Justice of the Peace and Treasurer for lame soldiers in the
West Riding, in the 7th year of the reign of King Charles I ; and
High Sheriff of Yorkshire in the 13th year of the said reign — when
it was remarkable that at the Summer Assize no prisoner was
executed.

In the Adali M.S., 1671. Stal. in Church of Almondbury to Sir John Kay,
Woodsome, and William Ramsden, same parish, Esq.

New or Nether Longley Hall.

At the beginning of the present century Longley Hall must have
been a charming residence, having extensive views over the sur-
rounding country, situated as it is on the brow of a hill overlooking
the town of Huddersfield and the river Colne, which separates it
from Almondbury. The view, though now less pleasing to the eye,
is not less satisfactory to the social philanthropist or the mercan-
tile adventurer; with its tall chimneys and its canopy of smoke



232 NEW OR NETHER LONGLEY HALL.

jureaths — pierced however by towers and spires of Churches which
have grown up among them. Since they speak of honest and
thriving industry, implying domestic comforts to thousands of
families : and except on " the day of rest," when their absence is
equally conspicuous, their failure would be felt to be a sign of
doleful import ; and, except that the surrounding hills form a dis-
tant horizon, Sir Tohn, looking from his ancestral hall, might say,
' ' I am monarch of all I survey,

My right there is none to dispute."
A few houses near the Parish Church of Huddersfield, lately rebuilt,
and in one ofwhich these pages are printed, form the other exception.
They belong to the executors of the late Mr. Thomas Firth, of
Toothill, and were most likely originally Church property. The
late owner was a good, shrewd and facetious Member of the Society
of Friends : and the exception rather illustrates than impairs the
rule. He is said to have refused to accept a price, which would
have been equivalent to paving the premises with guineas. " Nay !
not if thou set them edgeways !" He was probably as proud of his
share as was the Lord of the Manor. We are reminded of Alex-
ander and Diogenes.

The original Hall was probably erected by William Ramsden,
Esq. — the first proprietor of that name — or his son, Sir John
Ramsden, Knt. It was in the Tudor style. It enclosed a Court
Yard on three sides, having the main entrance on the East side.
A modern house had been added in the last century, in the plain
style of the day, looking towards the West and North. About
1848 additions were made in the Tudor style on the East side,
and, in excavating the foundations, several silver coins of the time
of Charles I. were found. A few years ago Sir John William
Ramsden rebuilt the Hall, but upon the old foundations, from the
plans of Mr. W. H. Crosland, having the main entrance front to
the North ; and the entertaining rooms West and South. The
principal front is towards the West; with a Central bay with
battlemented parapet, and a dormer on either side. On the South
is a circular bay to the dining room window, continued up to the
roof. On the North side are two gables, with a handsome circular



%Jk&££d




KIDROYD.



2 33



staircase. These occupy the place of part of the old building.
On this side is now the principal entrance, through an open porch,
with a three centred Arch; the parapet of which is richly
ornamented with carved panels. There are monograms J.W.R.
and H.G.R., of the Honourable and Right Honourable owners.
The rooms are spacious and lofty. The stables, which are
sheltered by old trees, present the appearance of Monastic
buildings, from the winding avenue by which the Hall is
approached.*

It is backed by thriving plantations, and behind it rise the
Castle Hill and old Park of Almondbury. The flower gardens
are at the bottom of the hill, and from it through the coppice
are pleasing walks —

"And seats beneath the shade

For talking age, and whispering lovers made."— Goldsmith.

KlDROYD

In a glen, or clough, which with the "Old Bank," practically
separates the Ancient Parishes of Almondbury and Kirkheaton,
to the east was situated an old Yeoman residence ; of which little
now remains, called Kid Royd ; occupied three centuries ago by a
family of Ramsden, distinct from, but connected with, that above
named.

In our Baptismal Register we have :

1568. — Jane Ramsden, d. of Hugh, "Off Banke," bapt. April iiij Spon-
sors: Helena Wodde, Jane Hyrste, and Gilbert Penye. 1569, Oct. iiij°, the
same Jane buried . 1571, William, son of Hugh, of Kydrode, bapt. Sponsors:
Willm. Ramsden, John Wodd, and Helena Ramsden. 1574, Joanna, wife of
Hugh, buried Feb. v°. 1577, Hugh Ramsden, "off Kidrode," buried Sept.
xxiiij . 1604, Hugh Ramsden and Sybilla Kaye married, Nov. xiii°.

The name vanishes from Kidroyd ; and it is probable that the
family migrated to Golcar, where are the " Ramsden Woollen Mills,"
which have been occupied by a family of that name for many
generations. In the Diary of the Rev. Robert Meeke, of Slaith-



* The Author is obliged to Mr. Isaac Hordern and Mr. A. J. Taylor for
this description ; as to the former for skill in the Restoration of the Vicarage,
and to the latter in the description of the Church.



234 KINGS MILLS.

waite, we have, January 5th, 1692-3 : " I should have been at the
funeral of old Dame Ramsden, of the Miln, but could not." The
name of Hugh also prevailed there. The Author, when at Slaith-
waite, knew two generations of Hugh Ramsden. There is still an
important manufacturing company at Ramsden Mills.

Kidroyd is now a small hamlet or " Fold," in which chemical
works have been conducted by Mr. George Jarmain. The small
Beck which flows through from the wood, and running down
supplies Bankfield, the manufactory and residence of Messrs. John
Day & Sons, afforded facilities for such operations, ultimately falling
into the Colne near Somerset Bridge. The New or Somerset
Road passes over it at Kidroyd.

King's Mills.

On the banks of the river below Longley Hall, where the Colne
and Holme rivers meet, called " Damside," are several Villa
Residences, and the old King's Mills, which belonged to the Crown
before the purchase of the manorial rights by Sir John Ramsden,
in 1627. They were called Huddersfield Mills of ancient time,
and appear by deeds of Henry VII and VIII, and of Philip and
Mary, to have grants of Colne water and water course, as well for
use of the said mills, as for fishery, &c, and there also appears, by
the same grants and deeds, to have been formerly a fulling mill, as
well as a corn mill, at which the copyholders and freeholders
of the Manor of Almondbury were bound by their tenure to grind
their corn, repair the dam, and do other service, as appears from
the Inquisitions in 1488 and 1584. Sir John Ramsden granted
liberty, 24 Nov., 17 Car. I, 1642, to Thomas Fenay, to grind his
corn at his own mill, but not for others to do so.

The late Joseph Armitage, Esq., of Milnsbridge and High-
royd, paid, in 1829, for the repair of the Dam, for Tinderleys

These mills are still flourishing, and are situate intermediate
between Somerset Bridge and another bridge recently erected near
Stile Common, connecting the townships of Almondbury and
Huddersfield ; with a road almost coincident with the respective



LUMB. — PARKIN FAMILY. 235

boundaries of the new Ecclesiastical Districts of Almondbury and
Rashcliffe. The latter new Parish includes Primrose Hill, with
the handsome Board School, calculated for a thousand scholars,
and a population inviting a new Church. Meanwhile the
Nonconformists have shewn themselves not unmindful of the fact,
by the erection of Chapels ; and St. Paul's Church, Huddersfield,
draws many children to its Sunday Schools.

Lumb. — Parkin Family.

We have already alluded to this ancient Homestead (page 16
and the Gravestone, page 56), around which are gathered several
other dwellings, snugly sheltered under the sun side of Castle Hill
at the head of the lovely valley, and looking upon Farnley Tyas.*

There have the family of Parkin dwelt in unbroken succession
for at least four centuries. The first record is in the Rental of
Almondbury, made for the Crown, in the 17th year of King Henry
the Seventh, 1492 :

"John Parkin holds four acres of land, freehold, late John Burton's, and
pays for it 2d., at the Michaelmas term. John Parkin holds a messuage, a
burgage and one boviate (13 acres), lately holden by John Parkin, his father,
and pays for the same at Michaelmas term is. n$d. John Parkin holds four
acres in the Lum, and one acre at Benolmley, and pays in Mich, term g^d.

The holdings are also mentioned in the Inquisition in 1584, and in
the Rental in 1711, of tithe due to Clitheroe School, in Mr. North's
manuscripts. The family still hold under Sir John William Rams-
den as Lord of the Manor, maintaining the character of plain
English Yeomen. The late Mr. William Parkin and Esther his
wife, had twelve children ; of whom three sons remain, Thomas,
Matthew, and Edward. John, James, Law, and Charles were
useful men in their day. Esther, their mother, died 23 Dec,
1867, aged 92 years.

* There is a circumstance which has rendered Lumb interesting to the
Author. His late devoted son Reginald, when sinking under the heat of
"Sultry India," in 1876, at Trichinopoly, where he ministered as Chaplain,
in the Church where lies buried his eminent namesake, Reginald Heber,
longed for water from the spring at Lumb, which he had often tasted, when
as Curate of Almondbury, 1867-71, he visited in that neighbourhood.



236 ARMITAGE FAMILY.

A Charity founded by George Parkin, of Almondbury Bank, for
the instruction of Poor Children, produces to the Central National
School ^4 8s. od., annually; under a Scheme of management
by the Charity Commissioners, dated July 31st, 1869, of which the
Vicar is Trustee. In like manner a Legacy of the late Sir John
Ramsden for the relief of the aged and the instruction of the
young, is vested in the Vicars of Huddersfield and Almondbury,
producing about £>j 10s. od. each, and is distributed by them, by
order dated 23rd Dec, 1870.

dudmanstone and hlgh royd. — armitage and armytage

Families.

On the west side of the Township of Almondbury, looking
down on the valley of Honley, are situared the comparatively
modern mansions of Dudmanstone and High Royd ; originally
belonging to the ancient family of Ermitage, Armitage, Armytage,
or Armitedge, as the name is variously spelt, all originating in
John Ermitage, of Ermitage (or the Hermitage), in the Township
of Honley, in the Parish of Almondbury ; who by his will dated
the 10th of May, 1527, and proved at York, directs his body to
be buried in the Church of Almondbury, leaves his son Thomas,
and Elizabeth his wife, executor and executrix, and his brother
Roger, supervisor of his will; the latter died in 1537, and his will
was also proved that year. The family formerly resident at Thick
Hollins, Meltham, is derived from this Thomas.

The Author is indebted to the late George Armitage, Esq., J.P.
and D.L., of Milnsbridge House, Richard Armitage, Esq., of
Scarborough, Thomas Robinson, Esq., The Hallows, Kirkburton,
and William Roulston Haigh, Esq., J.P., of Dudmanstone, for the
following information. The Pedigree of the three families of Dud-
manstone, High Royd and Thick Hollins, has been beautifully
written and illuminated by Mr. Robinson and Miss Preston, with
the Arms of Armitage of Dudmanstone, of Milnsbridge (with
Dowker as Co-heiress), Jennings of London, Rockley, Whitacre,
Nicholl, Horsfall, Armitage of London, Wharton, Mountjoy, Scott
(of Woodsome Lees), Saint John, and Maude.



ARMITAGE FAMILY. 237

Neither of the present Houses is of ancient date, but they are
substantial residences, with interesting surroundings. The large old
house at the top of Almondbury Bank, was also the residence of a
branch of the family, since much denuded of its beauty. Dud-
manstone House is situate above Berry Brow, and takes its name
doubtless from a large Boulder Stone on the Cliff, almost in the
form of a lion couchant, which is perforated so that a dog could run
through. William Ramsden, Esq., of Dudman (see page 145), was
holder of the Court Baron, 13 Car. II., of which name that of
" Deadmanstone " is believed to be a modern corruption. There
is a hanging stone also near. The site is indeed rocky, and is
ornamented towards the North with Towers on the Cliff, which
give it the appearance of an ancient fortress. The grounds have
been laid out with great taste ; the Cliff under the Stone on the
South has been brought into cultivation, and a terrace formed,
which commands a beautiful view. Two additions have been
made to the original house. One to the West by Mr. Henry
Robinson, the former owner ; and the other, including a Billiard
Room, by the present proprietor and occupant, Mr. Haigh, and
the house is replete with articles of virtu. It was occupied also
for many years by the late Joseph Wrigley, Esq., afterwards of
Netherton ; all of whose family were born there, and whose sons
are occupying useful positions in the Parish of Lockwood.

The Estate belonged originally to a family of the name of
Lockwood. In the Inquisition made in 1584 —

Thomas Lockwood holdeth a messuage called Dudmanstone, now made
into two ; two gardens ; one little croft, called Tenter Croft ; two closes,
called Cockshutts ; two closes, called Ouroyds ; one close, called Sykes ;
third part of one called William Croft ; one little meadow, called Calf
Croft ; one other meadow, called the Lime Croft ; four closes called the Lees,
&c. One house, called the Forward House ; one garden and one close to
the same belonging. One house called Budge Royd. One house and one
garden in the tenure of one Shaw ; and one meadow to the same adjoining.
One messuage, called Stirley ; one garden and one croft to the same
belonging.

The same names still prevail for the several places.

In the same Inquisition (1) among those tenants of the Crown who have
made encroachments on the waste is Thomas Lockwood ; (2) among those



238 ARMITAGE FAMILY.

tenants who have by custom, in their turn, the collection of the Queen's rents
and perquisites of the Manor, is Thomas Lockwood, for his lands and



Online LibraryCharles Augustus HulbertAnnals of the church and parish of Almondbury, Yorkshire → online text (page 21 of 57)