Charles E. (Charles Elliott) Fitch.

Encyclopedia of biography of New York, a life record of men and women whose sterling character and energy and industry have made them preëminent in their own and many other states (Volume 5) online

. (page 19 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

is rarely mistaken in its estimation of a
man, and were Mr. Ludington not most
worthy, he could not have gained the
eminent position he has so long held in
legal, public and social life, without any
abatement of his popularity. By his own
persistent and legitimate labors he has
won for himself a name whose luster
future years will most surely augment.

Mr. Ludington's sterling qualities have
been transmitted to him by a distin-
guished ancestry, among which we find :
William Ludington, who became a resi-
dent of Charlestown, Massachusetts, in
1642, and died there in 1662. Comfort
Ludington, another member of the family,
of Rambout Precinct, Dutchess county.
New York, who affixed his name to the
"Revolutionary Pledge," signed by the
freeholders of that county in the spring
of 1775; following the outbreak of hos-
tilities he served as captain in Colonel
Jacob Swartwout's regiment of Ulster
county, New York, in 1775, and in 1776
commanded a company of the Fourth
New York Foot. Again the family was
represented in military service by Zalmon
Ludington, who served as a soldier in the
War of 1812 ; his distinguished sons were :
Major-General Marshall I. Ludington,
who was placed on the retired list at his
own request in 1903; Hagan Z. Luding-
ton, who served in the Civil War as cap-
tain in the Eighty-fifth Regiment Penn-
sylvania Volunteers ; Horace, who served
in the same struggle as major and sur-
geon of the One Hundredth Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers; and Elisha H.,
who also served in the Civil War, as cap-
tain in the Seventeenth Regiment United
States Infantry, and was subsequently
major and brevet colonel, inspector-

120



general's department, United States
army.

James S. Ludington, son of George W.
Ludington, was born in Parish, Oswego
county. New York, January 25, 1858. He
was educated at the academies in Mexico
and Pulaski, being graduated from the
latter in 1877, when he at once took up
the study of law in Syracuse, New York,
in the office of Ludington & DeCamp, and
was admitted to the bar in January, 1880.
He commenced the active practice of
his profession in Vinton, Iowa, in the
spring of 1880, but soon returned to
Oswego county, where he was engaged
in practice in Parish and Phoenix until
April, 1893, when he removed to Syra-
cuse, since which time he has been promi-
nently identified with the law and polit-
ical affairs in that city. He has had as
partners at various times. Jay B. Kline,
B. J. Shove, Daniel Y. Salmon, J. J.
Kennelly, M. L. McCarthy, and at the
present time the firm is Ludington, Hay-
den & Setright. During his residence
in Oswego county, Mr. Ludington served
as school commissioner for the Second
District for a period of three years, com-
mencing in 1884, and in that campaign
only fourteen votes were cast against him
in his home town of Parish. He was
elected alderman from the Fourth Ward
in Syracuse in the fall of 1897. Since liv-
ing in Syracuse, Mr. Ludington has been
active in Ijehalf of his party, and has fre-
quently spoken for its nominees. In 1899
he was appointed assistant corporation
counsel by Mayor James K. McGuire, and
served in that capacity two years. In
the fall of 191 1 he was the candidate of
the Democratic party for the office of
mayor of Syracuse. He is a member of
Republican Lodge, No. 325 Free and Ac-
cepted Masons, of Parish; Oswego River
Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Phoenix,
New York ; Modern Woodmen of Amer-



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



ica ; Onondaga County Bar Association ;
Masonic Temple Club ; and the City Club.
Mr. Ludington married, in June, 1884,
Kate M., daughter of C. W. Woods, of
Pulaski, New York, and they have one
son : George W. Mr. Ludington is essen-
tially cosmopolitan in his ideas, a man of
the people in the fullest sense, and a rep-
resentative type of that strong American
manhood which commands and retains
respect by reason of inherent merit, sound
sense and correct conduct. He has so
impressed his individuality upon his fel-
lowmen wherever his lot has been cast,
as to win their highest esteem and become
a strong and influential power in leading
them to high and noble things. Measured
by the accepted standard of excellence his
career has been eminently honorable and
useful, and his life fraught with great
good to humanity and to the world.



SMITH, Wing R..

Leading Cattle Importer and Breeder.

Wing R. Smith, a highly respected
citizen of Syracuse, is a lineal descendant
of the Rev. Nehemiah Smith, who came
to America from England in 1630, and
located in Nantic, Connecticut, where his
farm is still owned by his posterity.

William Brown Smith, father of Wing
R. Smith, was born in Brighton, Monroe
county, New York, March 2, 181 5, son of
Job C. and Esther (Brown) Smith. His
mother died at the time of his birth, and
he was placed in the care of Mrs. Jere-
miah Maples, of West Walworth, New
York, where he remained until 1828, when
his foster father died, his foster mother
having died some six years previously.
His own father had married again and
moved to Ohio. William B. Smith then
learned the trade of cabinetmaking, under
Joshua Hicks, of Walworth, and after
his death continued with his son, Levi J.
Hicks, in the shop and on the farm.



When twenty-one years of age he pos-
sessed a trade, a set of tools, good cloth-
ing, and one hundred dollars in money.
After a canal trip to Buffalo and lake trip
to Sandusky, Ohio, he paid his first visit
to his father, and returning he entered
the cabinet shop of James Jenner, of
Palmyra, New York, and soon became a
foreman, and four years later had laid up
a thousand dollars. He then entered into
mercantile business in Walworth with his
brother-in-law, T. G. Yeomans, which
connection continued for some time.
About 1844 Mr. Smith came to Syracuse
and purchased an interest in a small
nursery of about five acres, of Alanson
Thorp, on West Genesee street. The
business increased under various part-
ners, and finally Mr. Smith became sole
owner. In 1868 Edward A. Powell, his
son-in-law, became his partner, and soon
after live stock interests were added, from
which was developed the celebrated
"Lakeside Stock Farm." In 1877 Wing
R. and Judson W. Smith entered the firm
under the style of Smiths & Powell, and
in 1885 Anthony Lamb became a partner
under the name of Smiths, Powell &
Lamb. Later the Smiths & Powell Com-
pany was incorporated with William
Brown Smith, president ; Edward A.
Powell, vice-president ; Wing R. Smith,
secretary; and W. Judson Smith, treas-
urer. Prior to this the nursery business
had become of paramount importance,
while considerable attention was given to
flowers and hot house plants, the florist
branch being conducted under the name
of P. R. Quinlan & Company. Shortly
after the death of Mr. Smith, which
occurred at his home in West Genesee
street, Syracuse, March 10, 1896, the busi-
ness was given up and the lands were
partitioned off, each member of the cor-
poration holding and cultivating in their
own name parts of the original farm. Mr.
Smith, Sr., was also largely interested in



121



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



real estate. He served as school commis-
sioner several terms, president of the
board one year ; was president of Oak-
wood Cemetery, vice-president of the
Syracuse Savings Bank, director in the
Salt Springs National Bank and old Syra-
cuse Water Company, treasurer of the
Holstein-Friesian Association of America,
counselor of the Old Ladies' Home, and
trustee of May Memorial Church and
president of the board.

Mr. Smith married (first) Lucy, daugh-
ter of Gilbert Yeomans, of Walworth.
He married (second) Augusta Maria,
daughter of Silas and Keziah (Hallock)
Boardman, of Westerlo, Albany county.
New York, whose family of three sons
and six daughters grew to maturity and
all lived long and useful lives ; Silas died
at age of ninety-five, Adeline at age
of ninety-three, Lucy at age of eighty-
nine, and Augusta at age of eighty-seven
years. Silas Boardman descended from
the early English settlers, the "Bormans"
of Wethersfield, Connecticut, and from
whence have descended the Boardman
family known throughout the United
States in professional and business life as
men of character and integrity and as
women of pure and moral life, choosing
to be home makers rather than seeking
for name and fame outside of the home.

Augusta Maria (Boardman) Smith was
born in South Westerlo, Albany county.
New York, March i6, 1819, the youngest
daughter and child in the family. She
cast her lot with that never-to-be-forgot-
ten, liberal-minded, energetic, trustworthy
townsman, William Brown Smith, who
for nearly sixty years made Syracuse his
home and place of residence. They were
married in the home they afterwards
made their own for many years, but which
at the time was owned and occupied by
Alanson Thorp, who married Lucy
Boardman, a sister of Mrs. Smith. For
sixty years Mrs. Smith acted as queen of

122



this household and only relinquished its
control when weight of years and the
hand of time made her pleased to turn to
her only daughter, Mrs. Edward A.
Powell, who had always made her home
with her, and yield to her the domestic
power she had so long held ; this enabled
her to live a life of freedom from care
for a year or more, and happy in her
ability to amuse herself with her garden,
of which she was passionately fond, and
to be able to visit her son whose ill health
had driven him, with his family, to the
Pacific coast, and there for a few weeks
she was able to see and realize the beau-
ties and glories of that beautiful land of
fruit and flowers, in company with her
son and his family, whom she held so
dear. Upon her return home she visited
all those cities of which she had read and
heard so much, this being a crowning
act and a fitting one to her long and useful
life. Always pure in heart as well as in
spirit, she kept her mind singularly free
from the gossips and slanders that fill in
so much of the life of the women of our
day. Always being desirous of being
helpful, she gave of her strength and sub-
stance freely until saddened by the loss of
her husband, when she turned to her
friends and her flowers, in that quiet and
unostentatious way that left her as one
forgotten except to those into whose life
she was able to throw some sunshine and
happiness. An intelligent and careful
reader, she had stored her mind with
much that lends polish and grace to a
person of years and made her a charming
companion. Abhoring cant and falsity
she tried by her words and her acts to
teach truth, right living, pure thoughts
and a spirit of peace and love towards all.
Almost too outspoken in her desire to
express her abhorence of what she con-
sidered base and ignoble or false, she
never willingly gave offence but was al-
ways fearless in her utterance. She was



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



long identified with the Unitarian church
and was for many years a regular attend-
ant. Her home was her realm and there
she ruled through love, justice and con-
tentment. Four children were born to
her: Lucy C, who became the wife of
Edward A. Powell, aforementioned ;
Wing R., of whom further ; William
Judson, who died in Monrovia, Califor-
nia, October 5, 1907, and who married
Laura Geddes, daughter of James and
Frances Terry Geddes, having a son, Wil-
liam Brown Smith ; Julia, who died in
early childhood. The mother of these
children passed away December 26, 1906,
and was laid in beautiful Oakwood Ceme-
tery, which her husband did so much to
establish and beautify.

Wing R. Smith was born in Syracuse,
New York, on West Genesee street,
March 9, 1850, and has always maintained
a residence in that city, where he at
present resides at No. 601 Park avenue,
corner of Van Rensselaer street. He re-
ceived his education at the public and
private schools in Syracuse, having been
under the instruction of W. W. Ray-
mond in old No. 5 or Prescott School,
and under T. D. Camp in old No. 7 or
Putnam School. From those he went to
Peekskill Military Academy, on the Hud-
son, and remained one year, and in the
year 1868 he entered Cornell University
under Andrew D. White, affiliating him-
self with the Kappa Alpha Society, in
which he still maintains great interest.
After two years spent in the study of
agriculture at Cornell he spent a winter
in the National Greenhouses in Wash-
ington, D. C, under Mr. William
Saunders, and later returned to Syracuse
and entered into the employ of the firm
of Smith, Clark & Powell. A year and a
half spent in Europe, mostly in Paris,
Berlin, and Hanover, in studying the
French and German languages, and in
travel over northern Europe, brought him



back to his native land and city, and here
he again connected I himself with his
father's business until he was admitted
to partnership in 1877, with his father,
brother and brother-in-law, also An-
thony Lamb, under the firm name of
Smiths, Powell & Lamb, and which later
became incorporated under the name of
Smiths & Powell Company, and during
this time Mr. Smith made a number of
trips to Europe and there made selections
of animals for his firm, a number of which
have gone down in history as animals of
great achievements, and from these were
founded the world renowned families of
Holstein-Friesian cattle known as Aaggie,
Netherland, Clothilde, Artis. Alexander,
numbers of which have become famous
alike in the production of milk and butter
and in the show ring as well, and at the
present time (191 5) many of the greatest
animals of the breed trace directly to
these families. In the division of the
lands after the death of Mr. Smith, Sr.,
aforementioned, Mr. Wing R. Smith be-
came the owner of the farm and stables
at what is known as "Lakeland," where
he maintains a large herd of beautiful
Holstein-Friesian cattle. Succeeding his
father as treasurer of the Holstein-Fries-
ian Association of America, Mr. Smith
has since held that exalted position and
under his management of the funds the
association has grown to be the most
influential and wealthiest association of
its kind in the world. Mr. Smith is a
vice-president of the New York State
Agricultural Society, secretary of the Hol-
stein-Friesian Breeders' Club of New
York State, a trustee in the Syracuse
Savings Bank, in Oakwood Cemetery,
in St. Joseph's Hospital Aid Society, a
director in the Farmers' and Traders'
Life Insurance Company, and also holds
other important and responsible positions.
He is a member of the Citizens' Club of
Syracuse, the City Club of Syracuse, and



123



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



other social and fraternal organizations of
the city and State.

Mr. Smith married, December 21, 1881,
Mary A., daughter of Payn and Hannah
(Munro) Bigelow, of Baldwinsville, New
York. Three daughters were born to
them: Hannah Munro, who became the
wife of Lewis Dudley Waters, of Hast-
ings, Michigan, where they and their two
daughters, Jane and Betty, reside;
Esther Wing, unmarried, living with her
parents ; Dorothy Bigelow, who became
the wife of Oscar Frank Soule, and with
their son, Channing F., live in Syracuse,
Mr. Soule being connected with the firm
of Merrell-Soule Company.



MAGEE, Walter Warren,

Lavryer, Congressman.

Walter Warren Magee was born at
Groveland, Livingston county, New York,
May 23, 1861, a son of John and Mariet
(Patchin) Magee. He attended the com-
mon schools and Geneseo State Normal,
was graduated from Phillips Exeter Acad-
emy at Exeter, New Hampshire, in the
class of 1885 and from Harvard College
in the class of 1889, receiving an honor-
able mention in history and political
economy and delivering his class day
oration.

His paternal grandfather came to this
country with two of his brothers from
the north of Ireland in 1792. His father,
John Magee, was born in 1812 at Grove-
land. His mother, whose maiden name
was Mariet Patchin, was the granddaugh-
ter of Dr. Warren Patchin, who founded
Patchinsville, Steuben county. New York.
She was of New England Yankee and
Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry, and died in
1892. His father and mother were mem-
bers of the Presbyterian church. He was
the sixth of a family of nine children :
Frances, Luella, Charles M., John C,
Jane, Walter W., Edward M., Evangia



and Mary. His brother, Charles M., a
prominent surgeon in Syracuse, died in
October, 1896. His brother, Edward M.,
is now serving his third term in the New
York State Assembly from Livingston
county. His father was prominent in the
old training days in the State, and in
1842 was made a colonel in the State
militia, receiving his commission from
Governor William H. Seward. He was a
Democrat in politics until the election of
i860, when he cast his first Republican
vote for Abraham Lincoln. He died in
1890.

Of the three Magee brothers who came
to this country in 1792, one settled in the
south and was lost track of. Mr. Magee's
grandfather located at Groveland and the
third brother also in the north. John
Magee, a son of this third brother, served
with distinction in the War of 1812. He
resided in Bath, New York, and later
became a member of Congress, serving in
that body from 1828 to 1832.

In September, 1889, Walter W. Magee
located in Syracuse. He studied law in
the offices of Baldwin, Lewis & Kennedy,
and in November, 1891, was admitted to
the bar. He served as a member of the
board of supervisors of Onondaga county
in the session of 1892-93. In 1896 he be-
came the law partner of Charles G. Bald-
win, Esq., with whom he is still asso-
ciated. He was corporation counsel of
the city of Syracuse for ten years from
January I, 1904, serving under Mayors
Fobes and Schoeneck. In November,
1914, he was elected to the Sixty-fourth
Congress as the representative of the
Thirty-fifth District, New York, by ap-
proximately 8,000 plurality. He is fond
of outdoor sports and recreation. He is a
member of the Citizens' Club, Chamber
of Commerce, Century Club, Onondaga
Golf and Country Club, University Club,
Harvard Club of Syracuse, Hasty Pud-
ding Club of Harvard, Masonic Temple



124



OPE-DI/



oreaniZo



■ A, r.



■:r, r.Gsvarc ;■ ,

rm in the Ne

m Livingstc ;.

,-. iiii latucr was prominent in the

-aining davp in the State, and in

was tn.- lonel in -the Stae

:, receiving nis commission from

.iir.r 'William H. Seward. He was a

until the election < ..

vviieii ne cast his first Republican

-'^r Abraham Lincoln. He died in



iiected
, oanv.



e ivlagee brothers who came

V ill 1792, one settled in the

>uth anr t track of . Mr. Magee's

■ ' Groveland and the

; the north. John

iird brother, served

. the War of 1812. He

New Yc'i'k. 'i'.'