Charles E. (Charles Elliott) Fitch.

Encyclopedia of biography of New York, a life record of men and women whose sterling character and energy and industry have made them preëminent in their own and many other states (Volume 5) online

. (page 44 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

faithful, useful sons. He is also a mem-
ber of The Trinity Church Association,
and the Diocesan Missionary Committee ;
a vice-president of the New York Bible
and Common Prayer Book Society ; trus-
tee of the Seaman's Church Institute, of
the Sheltering Arms, and of the New
York Training School for Deaconesses ;
secretary of the Cathedral League, and a
vestryman of St. Luke's Church at East-
hampton. Long Island, his summer home.
He holds membership in The Pilgrims',
the Union League, Church and Independ-
ent clubs of New York, the Maidstone



Club of Easthampton, the Down Town
Association, and the New York Cham-
ber of Commerce. These affiliations show
Mr. Hobart to be a man of broad-minded
nature, diligent in his business prusuits,
strong in his church activity, and enjoy-
ing social fellowship through his club
memberships. Air. Hobart has his sum-
mer home at Easthampton, Long Island,
known as "Sommarina," where he spends
seven months of the year.

Mr. Hobart married in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, November 15, 1888, Marie
Elizabeth Jefferys, a sketch of whom fol-
lows, born in Liege, Belgium, February
16, i860, a daughter of Charles Peter
Beauchamp and Elizabeth (Miller) Jef-
ferys. Mrs. Hobart is the author of The
St. Agnes Mystery Plays. Children:
Margaret Jefferys, a sketch of whom fol-
lows ; Rosamond, born August 9, 1892,
died July 16, 1908 ; Charles Jefferys, born
December 30, 1894, died June 14, 1910;
Elizabeth Miller, born August 10, 1896,
died October 17, 1896.



HOBART, Marie Elizabeth (Jefferys),

Authoress.

Of social prominence in New York, the
city which claims her as a resident, and
equally so in Philadelphia, the city of her
kith and kin, Mrs. Hobart has through
her published volumes won further dis-
tinction as an authoress. She is a daugh-
ter of Charles Peter Beauchamp Jefferys,
a civil engineer of Philadelphia, and his
wife, Elizabeth (Miller) Jefferys.

Marie Elizabeth Jefferys was born in
Liege, Belgium, February 16, i860, her
American parents returning to the United
States with their infant daughter the fol-
lowing June. Her maidenhood was
passed in Philadelphia, her education
carefully guided by private tutors in her
own home. Her tastes, strongly literary,



28.:;



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



were given full rein, her environment,
family tradition and station favoring a
literary career did she choose to pursue it.
Although she wrote and published sev-
eral years before, it was not until 1904
that her first published volume, "Lady
Catechism and the Child," appeared, fol-
lowed in 1905 by "The Little Pilgrims of
the Book Beloved." She published the
"Vision of St. Agnes Eve," in 1906;
"Athanasius"in 1909; "The Sunset Hour"
in 191 T ; and "The Great Trail" in 1913.
The critics have dealt most kindly with
these books and assigned Mrs. Hobart's
writings an honored place in the litera-
ture of her country. She is a member of
Trinity Parish, New York City. She was
married in St. Peter's Church, Philadel-
phia, Pennsylvania, November 15, 1S88,
to Henry Lee Hobart, of previous men-
tion.



HOBART, Margaret Jefferys,
AnthoresB.

The eldest daughter of Henry Lee and
Marie Elizabeth (JefFerys) Hobart, whose
useful lives have ever been her inspira-
tion and her guide. Miss Hobart in her
own right has won an assured position in
church and literary circles.

She was born in New York City, De-
cember I, 1889. After preparation at the
Brearley School, New York City, and
graduation in 1907, she entered Bryn
Mawr College, Pennsylvania, whence she
was graduated with the Bachelor of Arts
degree, class of 191 1. From the year of
her graduation until the present (1916),
Miss Hobart has been assistant to the
educational secretary, Church Missions
House, New York, and during 1912-14
was librarian of the Church Missions
House. She is a member of Trinity Par-
ish, The Bryn Mawr Club of New York
City, and various church and social or-
ganizations.

Miss Hobart published in 1912 (with



Arthur R. Gray) "Japan Advancing —
Whither?" and the same year under her
own name, "Institutions Connected with
the Japan Mission of the American
Church ;" "Voices from Everywhere" was
published in 1914; "Then and Now" the
same year.



ABBOTT, John Beach,

Lawyer, Editor.

Of distinguished American ancestry
and son of a cultured, scholarly father,
John B. Abbott, after exhaustive prepara-
tion in private school, academy and uni-
versity embraced his honored father's
profession and was admitted to the bar
in 18S0. Since that time he has con-
tinuously practiced at the New York bar,
a member of both the Livingston and
Monroe county bars, his residence at
Geneseo, his offices No. 814 Powers
building, Rochester. Eminent as a lawyer
he has won further distinction as a jour-
nalist and for thirty years has been the
spokesman of the Democracy of Living-
ston county, as editor of the "Living-
ston Democrat." Public honors have
been bestowed upon him including the
offices of judge and surrogate of Living-
ston county, and postmaster of Geneseo.
He is a son of Adoniram J. and Mary
(Beach) Abbott, his father born in 1819,
died at Geneseo, New York, in 1898, a
leading lawyer of the Livingston county
bar for half a century, 1848-1898.

John Beach Abbott was born at Dans-
ville, Livingston county. New York, De-
cember 31, 1854. He was educated in
public school, Geneseo Union Free
School, Geneseo Academy, Le Roy Aca-
demic Institute, Geneseo State Normal
School and the University of Rochester.
After completing his university course
he studied law, being admitted to the
New York State bar in 1880, coming to
the Monroe bar in 1901. Six j^ears after
his admission he became editor of the



286



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRArHY



"Livingston Democrat," published at
Geneseo, New York, and from that date
(1886) has continued its editorial head,
also maintaining Geneseo as his legal
residence. He is a learned and able
lawyer, has an extensive practice at both
bars and is highly regarded as a man of
honor as well as of professional strength.
He served as county judge and surrogate
of Livingston county from August 27
to December 31, 1914, having been ap-
pointed by Governor Martin H. McGlynn,
county judge and surrogate of the county
to fill a vacancy. Since 1903 he has been
president of the Livingston County Bar
Association ; is a member of the Roches-
ter Bar and New York State Bar asso-
ciations.

A Democrat in politics he has made
the "Livingston Democrat" a powerful
party organ and is recognized as a party
leader. He has represented his district
in many conventions and is one of that
inner circle which dominates district and
State conventions, and has made the
Democracy of Western New York a
power which the Eastern State leaders
must reckon with. He was postmaster
of Geneseo, 1888-1890, but with that
exception he has held only the offices
named, those being of a purely legal
nature. He is a strong and effective
orator before court, jury or audience and
has made frequent platform appearances.
As an editorial writer he has gained State
fame and is a powerful advocate for any
cause he espouses. His clubs are the
Geneseo and Rifle of Geneseo, his college
fraternity, Alpha Delta Phi. In religious
faith he is a Presbyterian.

Mr. Abbott married, August 29, 1878,
at LeRoy, New York, Louise M., daugh-
ter of Aloysius and Catherine Schmit,
her father a lawyer of Barmen, Rhenish
Prussia, Germany. The family home is
at Geneseo, New York.



JOHNSON, Frank Vemer,
Lawyer.

Frank Verner Johnson, a successful
attorney of New York City, was born at
Bradford, Vermont, March 12, 1863. His
ancestor, William Johnson, was born in
Kent, England, according to tradition,
and was an early settler of Charlestown,
Massachusetts. He was a planter, was
admitted a freeman, March 4, 1635, and
was with his wife Elizabeth received into
the Charlestown church, February 13,
1635. He made a deposition, now on file,
December 29, 1657, stating his age as
fifty-four years, from which we learn that
he was born in 1603. In early family
records it is stated that "he was a Puritan
of good parts and education, and brought
with him from England a wife and child
and means." He died December 9, 1677,
his widow in 1685, leaving six sons and a
daughter.

Joseph Johnson, son of William and
Elizabeth Johnson, was born in Charles-
town, and baptized there by Rev. Thomas
James, February 12, 1637. He was one
of the founders and proprietors of Haver-
hill, Massachusetts, whither he and his
brother John removed from Charlestown.
He held various town offices. He mar-
ried (first) Mary Soatlie, and (second)
in 1666, Hannah, daughter of Ensign
Thomas Tenney, of Rowley, England.

Thomas Johnson, son of Joseph and
Hannah (Tenney) Johnson, was born
December 11, 1670, in Haverhill, and died
February 18, 1742. He was a town
officer, one of the founders of the Haver-
hill North Parish Church, of which he
was elected deacon, March 23, 1732, and
of which his own family at its foundation
constituted a fifth of the membership. He
married, May i, 1700, Elizabeth, eldest
daughter of Cornelius and Martha
(Clough) Page, granddaughter of John



287



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Clough, of Salisbury, Massachusetts, who
came from London in 1635 in the ship
"Elizabeth." She died June 12, 1752.

Hon. John Johnson, son of Deacon
Thomas and Elizabeth (Page) Johnson,
was born at Haverhill, North Parish, No-
vember 15, 171 1, and was one of the
founders and earliest settlers of Hamp-
stead. New Hampshire, formerly a part
of Haverhill. He procured the charter
for the town and was paid his expense
by vote of the town. May 30, 1750. Gov-
ernor Benning Wentworth, the royal gov-
ernor, appointed him a magistrate, and he
was one of the justices of the Court of
General Sessions at Portsmouth for the
Province of New Hampshire. He died
April I, 1762, leaving five surviving sons,
all of whom adhered to the cause of the
patriots during the Revolution. He
married (first) Sarah Haynes, and
(second) Sarah Morse. Haynes John-
son, son of Hon. John and Sarah
(Haynes) Johnson, was born at Hamp-
stead. New Hampshire, August 28, 1749.
At an early age he went from Hampstead
with his elder brother Thomas as one of
the first settlers in that part of the Con-
necticut Valley known then as the "Coos"
or "Cohass" country, which included the
Ox-bow and other rich meadows in the
present town of Haverhill, New Hamp-
shire, and Newbury and Bradford, Ver-
mont. The town of Mooretown, subse-
quently Bradford, received its charter in
1770, and at an annual town meeting,
May I, 1775, it was voted to raise a stock
of ammunition and Haynes Johnson and
Benjamin Jenkins were made "a commit-
tee to look out and procure a stock of
powder, lead and flints." While actively
engaged in his duties on this committee
he was taken ill and died at Concord,
New Hampshire, September 2, 1775. He
married Elizabeth Elliot, and had three
children.

Captain Haynes (2) Johnson, son of



Haynes (i) and Elizabeth (Elliot) John-
son, was born August 13, 1775, in New-
bury, Vermont, and died November i,
1863. He settled on a large farm on the
Connecticut river, in the town of Brad-
ford, Vermont, was for a long time cap-
tain of the Bradford militia company, and
was all his life prominent in town and
military affairs. He and his wife were
members of the Congregational church of
Bradford. He married, April 8, 1802,
Jane, daughter of Captain Ezekiel
Sawyer, who served as an officer in the
Revolutionary army.

Thomas Johnson, son of Captain
Haynes (2) and Jane (Sawyer) John-
son, was born December 13, 1816, at
Bradford, and died March 6, 1894. He
attended the public schools of his native
town, and when a young man left home
to work in Boston and Charlestown, Mas-
sachusetts. In 1856 he purchased and
settled on the large river farm in Brad-
ford, adjoining the place on which he
was born, and there spent the remainder
of his life. The local newspaper, at the
time of his death, said: "Mr. Johnson
was an upright man in all his dealings,
and was one of the most respected and
substantial citizens of Bradford. He was
one of the best representatives of the old
class of citizens who made Vermont what
it is." He married, February 12, 1862,
Harriet E., daughter of Christopher and
Emily (Walker) Avery, of Corinth, Ver-
mont, a descendant of Captain James and
Joanna (Greenslade) Avery, who were
among the first settlers of New London,
Connecticut. Her maternal grandfather
was a lieutenant in the Revolution. Chil-
dren : Frank Verner, mentioned below ;
Charles Forster, born August 6, 1865 ;
Herl)ert Thomas, January 27, 1872.

Frank Verner Johnson attended the
public schools of his native town and the
Bradford Academy, Vermont, graduating
in the class of 1882. He then entered



288



EXCYCLOPEDIA OE BIOGRAPHY



Dartmouth College and was graduated in
the class of 1886 with the degree of
Bachelor of Arts. In 1S89 he entered the
Law School of Columbia College in New
York City, and was admitted to the New
York bar in May, 1891. For many years
during the earlier period of his profes-
sional career he was the New York attor-
ney of the Travelers' Insurance Com-
pany of Hartford, Connecticut, and de-
voted a large part of his time to the
defense of negligence actions on behalf
of policyholders in that company. He
entered upon the general practice of law
in New York, and has been especially
successful in the field of trial attorney.
He is a member of the New York Bar
Association, the Association of the Bar
of the City of New York, the New York
County Lawyers' Association, the Man-
hattan Club of New York, the Dartmouth
College Club of New York, the Founders'
and Patriots' Society, and of several col-
lege fraternities. He is a communicant
of the Protestant Episcopal church. He
married, April 19, 1893, Evelyn Webber,
born August 29, 1866, daughter of Chris-
topher and Julia (Cooper) Webber, of
Rochester, Vermont, granddaughter of
Christopher Webber, Sr., a lawyer of
Vermont. Children, born in New York
City: Evelyn, April 29, 1894; Frances
Virginia, July 3, 1895, died in August,
1896.



STRONG, Augustus H.,

Scholar, Anthor, Theologian.

Augustus Hopkins Strong, scholar,
author, theologian, son of Alvah and
Catherine (Hopkins) Strong, was born in
Rochester, August 3, 1836. He is of pure
Puritan lineage, his ancestor, Elder John
Strong, of the Congregational order, hav-
ing settled in Plymouth in 1639 where he
passed a godly life. He had eighteen



children ; his eldest son had fifteen. In
the maternal line, descent is claimed from
Stephen Hopkins, who came over in the
"Mayflower" (q. v. sketch of Samuel M.
Hopkins). Alvah Strong, the father of
Augustus H. Strong, was born July 18,
1809, and died April 20, 1885. He came
to Rochester in 1821 ; learned the printer's
trade ; worked in the Albany "Evening
Journal ;" became proprietor (chief) of
the Rochester "Democrat" ; retired from
business in 1859; was deacon in the Bap-
tist church for thirty years ; was a
founder and the first treasurer of the
Rochester Theological Seminary. He was
a genial, friendly, quiet man, with great
interest in the cause of education and in
the prosperity of his church, liberal to a
fault and beloved by all who knew him.

Augustus H. Strong received his pre-
liminary education in the schools of his
native city, and took a full classical
course in Yale College, from which he
was graduated in 1857 with high standing
as a scholar, receiving many prizes in
English composition, and the gold De-
Forest Medal for public speaking. Two
years later he was graduated from the
Rochester Theological Seminary, of
which he was to be long the honored
head. He spent the latter portion of 1859
and all of i860 in pleasurable and improv-
ing travel in Europe, and upon his return
in 1861 he was ordained to the Baptist
ministry with his first pastorate that of
the First Baptist Church in Haverhill,
Massachusetts, from 1861 until 1865.
Thence he was called to the First Church
of Cleveland, Ohio, where he remained
until 1872. In both these charges he was
notably distinguished for the zeal and
fidelity with which he discharged his
pastoral duties and for the clearness,
strength and spirituality of his pulpit
utterances as well as for the vital Chris-
tianity that informed them, the sincerity,



N Y— Vol IV-19



289



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



skill and valor with which he expounded
its doctrines, and this without bigotry
or the mere delight of belligerency. He
was the honorable and enlightened inter-
preter of his creed, and while still a
young man he was eminent as a theo-
logian.

Thus equipped as a scholar and theo-
logian he accepted, in 1872, the call to the
presidency and the Chair of Systematic
Theology in the newly established
Rochester Theological Seminary and
dedicated himself to the work of training
young men for the gospel ministry, in an
institution in which he was already deeply
interested and which his father had been
largely instrumental in establishing.
Therein he served continuously for forty
years, becoming president emeritus in
1912; increasing its endowments from
less than $200,000 to more than $2,000,-
000 ; securing faculties, numbers of the
members of which are famous in their
departments ; enlarging the body of
students and, more than all, impressing
his personality and teachings upon the
licentiates, many of whom have made
their mark as preachers of the world, so
that through his various activities in its
behalf the institution ranks among the
first of the seminaries of the great Baptist
denomination. Meanwhile he has been
in constant request and has generously
responded to the demands made upon him
for sermons on ceremonial occasions, for
missionary objects, and for many secular
addresses, also thereby attaining ex-
tended repute for his oratorical gifts. He
has been distinctively honored by high
and responsible positions in the church.
Among other trusts he has held the presi-
dency of the American Baptist Mission-
ary Union, 1892-95, and that of the Gen-
eral Convention of Baptists of North
America, 1905-10. Honorary degrees
from leading universities have been freely
conferred upon him — Doctor of Divinity



by Brown, 1870; Yale, 1890; Princeton,
1896; Doctor of Laws by Bucknell, 1891 ;
and Alfred, 1894; and Doctor of Litera-
ture by Rochester, 191 2.

Dr. Strong has been a voluminous
author. His principal theological work is
"Systematic Theology" published in 1886,
with six editions ensuing until 1903 and
revised and enlarged in three volumes in
190S. It is a standard theological work
highly regarded and adopted as a text-
book in the seminaries. Its principal
propositions are: (i) Conscience in man
as reflecting the holiness of God ; (2)
Christ as God manifested in bearing
human sin and redeeming from it; (3)
The unity, sufficiency and authority of
Scripture. "Philosophy and Religion"
appeared in 1888; "Christ in Creation and
Ethical Monism" in 1899. "The Great
Poets and Their Theology," a splendid
work considered from both the philo-
sophic and the literary point of view, was
issued in 1907. The "great poets" dis-
cussed are Homer, Virgil, Dante, Shake-
speare, Milton, Goethe, Wordsworth,
Browning and Tennyson. A supplemen-
tary work, "American Poets and Their
Theology," treating of Bryant, Emerson,
Whittier, Longfellow, Poe, Lowell,
Holmes, Lanier and Whitman — is in
press as this is written (July, 1916).
Other printed volumes of Dr. Strong are
"Union with Christ," "Miscellanies, His-
torical and Theological," "One Hundred
Chapel Talks to Theological Students"
and "Lectures on the Books of the New
Testament."

Dr. Strong is prominent in scholarly
activities, member of the Alpha Chi
(ministerial), "Pundit" (literary) and the
Browning (literary) clubs, to each of
which he has contributed valuable papers.
He is also a member of the Yale Chapter
of Psi Upsilon.

Dr. Strong married (first) Harriet
Louise Savage, of Rochester, November



290



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



6, 1861. She died July 8, 1914. Of this
union there are six children, viz: i.
Charles Augustus, born November 28,
1862; psychologist: who married Bessie,
daughter of John D. Rockefeller, March
22, 1889; she died November 14, 1906. 2.
Mary Belle, born August 29, 1864: mar-
ried Dr. Robert G. Cook, June 2, 1892. 3.
John Henry, born December 7, 1866;
pastor of the Eutavv Place Baptist
Church, Baltimore, Maryland ; who mar-
ried Eliza Livingston McCreery, June 20,
1894. 4. Kate Louise, born February 10,
1870; who married Rev. Charles G.
Sewell, January 16, 1900. 5. Cora Har-
riet, born February 10, 1870, unmarried.
6. Laura Rockefeller, born June 19, 1884 ;
who married Edmund H. Lewis, June i,
1910. Dr. Strong married (second) Mrs.
Marguerite G. Jones, of Rochester, Janu-
ary I, 1915.



WARFIELD, Frederic Parkman,

Attorney-at-LaiP.

Frederic Parkman Warfield is a native
of this State, where his grandfather was
a pioneer settler, a scion of a very old
Maryland family. Richard Warfield, un-
doubtedly of English parentage, settled
near Annapolis, Maryland, in 1662. His
home was west of Crownsville, Anne
Arundel county, and his estate bordered
on Round Bay of Severn. It is apparent
that he was a man of means, as his rent
roll shows the possession of various
estates, known as "Warfield," "Warfield's
Right," "Hope," "Increase," "Warfield
Plains," "Warfield Forest," "Warfield
Addition," "Brandy," and "Warfield
Range." Some of these came through the
inheritance of his wife. In 1670 he mar-
ried Elinor, daughter of Captain John
Browne, of London, who operated mer-
chant vessels between London and An-
napolis. The estates known as "Hope"
and "Increase" were purchased by him in



1673 and came into possession of his
daughter, Mrs. Warfield. Richard War-
field was a member of the vestry of St.
Ann's Church, was also a military ofificer,
and died in 1703-04. His third son, .^Mex-
ander Warfield, was a surveyor, and
received lands by inheritance from his
father, one mile south of the present
Millersville. This is the only portion of
the original estate now held by descend-
ants. Alexander Warfield was on a com-
mittee for extending Annapolis, and in
1720 surveyed a tract of thirteen hundred
acres, known as "Venison Park," which
he divided between his sons Alexander
and Absolute. He was also the owner
of "Benjamin's Discovery," "Warfield's
Addition," and "Brandy." He married
Sarah, daughter of Francis and Elizabeth
Pierpont, who had an estate on the
Severn river. Their youngest son, Rich-
ard (2) Warfield, inherited "Brandy"
from his father on which he resided. He,
married Sarah, daughter of John and
Agnes (Rogers) Gaither, and they had
sons Lancelot and Richard. Richard (3)
Warfield, son of Richard (2) and Sarah
(Gaither) Warfield, resided at "Brandy,"
which he inherited jointly with his
brother, and later sold to the brother his
share, and removed to Frederick county,
Maryland. He married (first) Nancy,
daughter of Thomas Gassoway, and
(second) Anna Delashmutt, daughter of
Elias and Betsey (Nelson) Delashmutt,
the latter a daughter of John Nelson, of
Frederick county. The only son of the
second marriage was Lindsey Delash-
mutt Warfield, who was a soldier in the
War of 1812, serving in the State of New
York, and participating in the battle of
Lundy's Lane. He was so pleased with
interior New York that he settled there
after the close of the war, locating at
Rushville, Yates county, near the beau-
tiful Canandaigua Lake. He married
Elizabeth L'Amoreaux, and two of their



291



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



sons were Union soldiers in the Civil
War, made prisoners, and confined in
Libby and Andersonville prisons. One
of these, Charles H., was among the first
to enlist in the State of New York, and
became a first lieutenant in a New York
infantry regiment. Another, Myron
Franklin, was born in 1840 at Rushville,
and lived at Prattsburg, Steuben county,
New York. He married, October 25,
1866, Frances Helena Parkman Green,
daughter of Robert and Sophia (Park-
man) Green, granddaughter of Captain
Henry Green, a pioneer of Rushville, born
1762, in Killingly, Connecticut, and de-
scended from Thomas Green, who was
among the first settlers of Maiden, Mas-
sachusetts. They had children : Charles
Henry, born 1867; Carrie Isabelle, Anna
Delashmutt, Richard Nelson, Frederic
Parkman, Augustus Bennett, born July
24, 1878; the last named a captain in the