Charles E. (Charles Elliott) Fitch.

Encyclopedia of biography of New York, a life record of men and women whose sterling character and energy and industry have made them preëminent in their own and many other states (Volume 5) online

. (page 45 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

United States regular army.

Frederic Parkman Warfield, second
son of Myron Franklin and Frances
Helena Parkman (Green) Warfield, was
born January 24, 1876, in Prattsburg,
where he attended the public schools, and
was afterward, for five years, a student at
Canandaigua Academy. Entering Hamil-
ton College in 1892, he graduated with
the degree of Bachelor of Arts four years
later. He at once entered the Columbia
Law School at Washington, D. C. (now
Washington University), from which he
was graduated in 1899, and in the same
3ear was admitted to the bar of the
District of Columbia. During the three
years that he was a law student he was
an examiner in the United States Patent
Office at Washington. In 1901 he was
admitted to the New York bar, and since
that time has been engaged in the general
practice of his profession in New York
City, making a specialty of patent trade
marks and corporation law. On coming
to New York he became a member of the



firm of Duell, Megrath & Warfield, which
firm continued four years, when its head,
Charles H. Duell, was appointed a judge
on the bench of the District of Columbia,
and retired from the firm. This then
continued as Warfield & Duell, including
Mr. Holland S. Duell. When Judge
Duell retired from the bench in 1907 he
again became a partner of the firm, which
is now known as Duell, Warfield & Duell.
Mr. Warfield has been engaged in many
important law cases involving large finan-
cial considerations, notable among which
was "Bethlehem Steel Company Z'j. Niles-
Bement-Pond Company," in the Circuit
Court of Appeals. In acknowledgment
of his efficient services in this case, his
English clients, namely, the English As-
sociation of Steel Makers, presented him
with a beautiful silver cup, bearing the
following inscription:

Presented to

Mr. Frederic P. Warfield

by the

English High Speed Steel Makers

In Grateful Appreciation of his Brilliant advocacy

in the case of
Bethlehem Steel Company vs. Niles-Bement-Pond

Company
The successful result of which secured the con-
tinued entry of their
steel into the markets of the
United States of America.
March, 1910.
"Try it and See."

With his firm, Mr. Warfield has figured
in many very celebrated cases, involving
electrical and optical arts. He is a
memljer of the New York County
Lawyers' Association, the New York
State Bar Association, the American Bar
Association, and the Association for the
Advancement of Science. He is also a
member of -the Signa Phi fraternity, the
Phi Beta Kappa Alumni of New York
City, and the Colonial Order of the
Acorn, whose festal occasions have been
Some times enlivened by his services as



292



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



toastmaster. Mr. Warfield is associated
with various clubs, including Union
League, Apawamis Country, University,
Down Town, St. Nicholas, Ardsley Coun-
try, and the Fort Schuyler Club of Utica,
New York. He emulates the military
example of his forbears as a member of
Squadron A, a cavalry division of the
National Guard State of New York.



WERNER, Christopher C,

Lawyer.

The legal career which Mr. Werner
has pursued with distinguished success
began in 1885 when he began practice
with his brother, the eminent jurist, Wil-
liam E. Werner, and afterward with
George H. Harris as Werner & Harris
has continued. This record shows con-
tinuous practice during a period of
thirty-one years and no lawyer has higher
reputation. He is greatly admired by
the judges of the courts before whom he
practices for his uniform courtesy, high
professional standards and his evident
desire to aid the court in the administra-
tion of justice. To his clients he gives
devoted service, drawing from his deep
learning and rich experience in their
behalf. He is a man of inbred courtesy
and gentlemanly in his treatment of
friend or opponent, his genial nature
winning him many friends whom his
manly qualities ever retain.

He is a son of William and Agnes
(Koch) Werner, of German birth, but
married in the United States, establish-
ing their home in Buffalo, New York.
Four children were born to William and
Agnes Werner : Judge William E.
Werner, the eminent jurist whose recent
death shocked the State and whose
career forms an interesting and valuable
feature of this work ; Louise, who mar-
ried John Steinmiller, of Buffalo ; Lena,
married Carl Betz, whom she survived ;



and Christopher C, to whom this sketch
is dedicated.

Christopher C. Werner was born in
BuiYalo, New York, November 27, 1859.
After extended courses in public and
private schools in Buffalo, he was
variously employed until reaching his
majority when he began the study of law
with his brother. Judge William E.
Werner, of Rochester. He was admitted
to the Erie county bar in Buffalo and on
January 7, 1885, began practice with his
brother under the firm name of Werner
& Werner. That association continued
for ten years until January i, 1895, when
the senior partner was elevated to the
Supreme Bench. Christopher C. Werner
then admitted to partnership George H.
Harris, a young man who had studied
under Werner & Werner. The new firm,
Werner & Harris, enjoyed a large prac-
tice from the beginning and as the years
have progressed have added to their early
prestige. No law firm at the Monroe
county bar is held in higher esteem and
none bear their honors more worthily.
Mr. Werner is a member of the Roches-
ter Bar Association, is a member of lodge,
chapter, council and commandery of the
?iIasonic order. His club is the Rochester
and in all these bodies he is highly
esteemed, his friendly, genial nature ex-
panding under the social influence of
friends and brethren. In political faith he
is a Republican.

Mr. Werner married, November 16,
1887, Anna Van Marter, of Lyons, Nev;
York. They are the parents of two
daughters : Jean A. and Catherine.



OVIATT, Percival DeWitt,
Attorney-at-Law.

As an active member of the New Y'ork
bar practicing in Rochester since 1901,
Mr. Oviatt has won the commendation
of his associates and the confidence of the



293



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



public he serves. His fifteen years of
practice have brought him an unusual
meed of success and as experience has
been added to learning and ability, he has
advanced in strength as an advocate and
counselor, his docket showing that in
hard fought contests of legal importance
he has well deserved the confidence
reposed in him. He is a son of Wilson
D. (2) Oviatt, born in Rochester, and a
grandson of Wilson D. (i) Oviatt, an
early settler of Rochester who owned and
operated a flour mill and manufactured
barrels in which to pack the product of
his own and other mills. This founder of
the family in Rochester was a champion
of law, order and progress in the rapidly
growing communit)' and among other
service he rendered was assuming control
of the police force as its chief. His enter-
prise as a business man was a contribut-
ing factor to the development of the city,
while his efforts in behalf of public
safety gave assurance to new comers that
Rochester was to be the abode of law and
security. Wilson D. (2) Oviatt was for a
number of years connected with the
James Vick Seed House of Rochester,
later establishing in business for himself
as a florist. He married Caroline Hankey,
of Canadian birth.

Percival DeWitt Oviatt, son of Wilson



established, serving a large clientele in
all courts of the district. He formed a
partnership with S. Wile under the firm
name of Wile & Oviatt, A. L. Oilman is
also now a member of the firm, their
offices are at No. 1232 Granite Building.
Mr. Oviatt is a member of the Masonic
order, the Knights of Pythias, the Roches-
ter Bar Association, New York State Bar
Association, the American Bar Associa-
tion, the Rochester Club and the fra-
ternit}- Delta Psi.

Mr. Oviatt married, June i, 1904, Helen
Louise Moody, of Rochester, and they
have a daughter, Helen Jean Oviatt.



FOLLMER, Charles Jennen,

Manufacturer.

After the Civil War closed in 1865
Charles J. Follmer, then in his sixteenth
year, but a veteran Union soldier, was
appointed to a cadetship at West Point
in recognition of his services as drummer
boy and orderly to General Edwin R.
Biles of the Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania
Volunteers. But the lad had perhaps
seen enough of war, or there may have
been other reasons for declining the ap-
pointment. Had he not done so the com-
mercial world would have been the loser



as Mr. Follmer is now a member of Foll-
D. (2) and Caroline (Hankey) Oviatt, mer, Clogg & Company, who own and
was born in Rochester, New York, April operate at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the



30, ICS76. He obtained his preparatory
and classical education in the city public
schools, Rochester Free Academy and the
University of Rochester, receiving his
Bachelor of Arts at graduation from the
last named institution with the class of
"98." He prepared for the practice of his
profession at Columbia Law School, New
York City, and in 1900 was graduated
Bachelor of Laws and admitted to the
Monroe county bar. He at once began
practice at Rochester and is there well



largest umbrella manufacturing plant in
the whole world.

So whatever the influence that presided
at fate's keyboard the day he chose the
arts of peace rather than the more
spectacular soldier's career, no mistake
was made, but as Mr. Follmer reviews his
career from the heights of success, the
thought must often come, "What and
where would I be had I chosen the other
path on that fateful August day, sleeping
in a soldier's grave or high on the Roll



294




C^Cw Q




ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



of Fame among America's military
heroes?" He is a son of Mark and Louise
(Jennen) Follmer, his father a miller.

Charles Jennen Follmer was born in
New York City, January lo, 1850, and
until his fifteenth year attended the i)ublic
schools of the city. He then enlisted as a
drummer boy and also served as orderly
to General Edwin R. Biles of the Ninety-
ninth Regiment of Pennsylvania Volun-
teer Infantry. He was wounded and
captured by the Confederates at the battle
of Hatcher's Run in Virginia, but two
days later was recaptured by Union
forces. He served with the Army of the
Potomac until the war closed, then was
honorably discharged and appointed to a
cadetship at the United States Military
Academy, West Point.

Declining the honor he entered the
employ of William A. Drown & Com-
pany, umbrella manufacturers, in August,
1865, and until 1887 was connected with
that firm, rising from lowly position
through increasingly responsible posi-
tions until in 1879 he was admitted junior
partner. His twenty-two years of ex-
perience in different departments thor-
oughly qualified him for the next import-
ant step in his remarkable career — the
founding of the firm of Follmer, Clogg &
Company in 1887. As head of that firm
he has won his way to the highest pin-
nacle of business success as a manufac-
turer, and at Lancaster the silk mills,
where their own silk used in the manu-
facture of umbrellas is made and thrown,
the silk mill at Columbia, Pennsylva-
nia, and the vast factories at Lancaster
where frames and handles are made and
the umbrellas finished and shipped to
all parts of the world, constitute the
largest umbrella manufacturing plant not
only in the United States, but in the
entire world. This is Mr. FoUmer's
record of half a century in his principal
activity only. He is vice-president and



director of the Colonial Insurance Com-
pany, chairman of the advisory committee
of the Great Western and New York and
Boston Lloyds and National Under-
writers. He is a power in the business
world and one of the strong men of New
York, able, progressive, and public-
spirited.

Mr. Follmer is president of the Ninety-
ninth Regiment of Pennsylvania Veteran
Association, member of the Pennsylvania
Society, Merchants' Association of New
York, Metropolitan Museum, Fifth Ave-
nue Association, Museum of Natural His-
tory, Philharmonic Society, and in
religious afiiliation a member of Ply-
mouth Congregation. His clubs are the
Aero, Automobile of America, Areola
Country, Deal Golf and Country, New
York Yacht, Merchants' and Press.
These cluljs are the best index to his pre-
ferred recreations and he is a well-known
figure in all.

He married in New York City, in 1872,
Theresa Florence, daughter of Michael
and Ellen (Green) McCormack. They
have three children : Willis Mark ; Adele
Regina, married Joseph A. Kelley, of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania ; Beatrice, mar-
ried A. A. Higgins. The family summer
residence is at Ocean avenue, Deal, New
Jersey, the city residence No. 312 River-
side drive.



LAUTERBACH, Edward,
Lawyer.

From progressive and enterprising an-
cestors Mr. Lauterbach has derived a
love of liberty and a far reaching interest
in the welfare of mankind. For more
than four centuries his family flourished
in the hill country of Bavaria, their seat
being in the town of Burgkundstadt, near
the historic city of Nuremberg, the
acknowledged center for many years of
the liberal party of Germany. The family



295



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



was especially active in the professions
and in mercantile life. One of the most
prominent of these was Aaron Wolfgang
Lauterbach, born 1752, died 1826, a
graduate of the University of Prague,
noted for his erudition and also for a
peculiar fund of wit and humor. Of his
six children, the youngest, Solon Lauter-
bach, was born in 1806. Under the
political tyranny which oppressed Ger-
many at that time, he grew restless, and
eight years before the revolution of 1848
he left his ancestral home to find asylum
in free America. After twenty years'
residence in New York City, he died here
in i860. His wife, Mina (Rosenbaum)
Lauterbach, came of a family noted for
intellectual gifts, which she inherited in
remarkable degree. She possessed a
strong memory, was noted as a Shake-
spearian scholar, and was able to quote
literally multitudes of poetical gems from
various authors. She survived her hus-
band some thirty years, dying in 1890,
and left three children.

Edward Lauterbach was born August
12, 1844, in New York City. He received
his education in the public schools and
the College of the City of New York,
from which he was graduated Bachelor
of Arts, with honors, in 1864. For several
years he was vice-president of the alumni
of this college, was a member of one of
its Greek letter fraternities, and always
took an active interest in its welfare. He
subsequently received from his alma mater
the degrees of Master of Arts and
Bachelor of Laws, and received the
degree of Doctor of Laws from Manhat-
tan College. Adopting the law as his
lifework, he began his studies in the
offices of Townsend, Dyett & Morrison,
and with Mr. Morrison founded the firm
of Morrison, Lauterbach & Spingarn.
After the termination of this partnership
through the death of Mr. Spingarn, a new
firm was formed, known as Hoadly,



Lauterbach & Johnson. In addition to
his large general practice, Mr. Lauter-
bach is prominent as a railroad organizer,
and was instrumental in bringing about
the consolidation of the Union and Brook-
lyn Elevated roads, the creation of the
Consolidated Telegraph & Electrical
Subway, and has been concerned in the
reorganization of many railroads. While
not an active politician, Mr. Lauterbach
is deeply interested in public progress,
and was several years chairman of the
Republican County Committee of New
York, and of the advisory committee of
the Repulilican State Committee. He
was delegate-at-large from New York to
the Republican National Convention of
1896, a member of its committee on reso-
lutions, and of the sub-committee of nine
which drafted the Republican platform of
that year. He was one of the three
delegates-at-large from the city of New
York to the Constitutional Convention
of 1894, and chairman of its committee on
public charities. He was a member of
the Board of Regents of the University of
the State of New York, and has been
chairman of the City College Board of
Trustees. He is a director of the Hebrew
Orphan Asylum and other charities.
While he has been professionally and per-
sonally associated with the largest finan-
cial and commercial enterprises of the
country, and with the leaders of con-
temporary business and finance in New
York, Mr. Lauterbach finds time for
relaxation, and is especially devoted to
music and the drama. At one time he
was vice-president of the Maurice Grau
Opera Company. He is never too busy
to give some attention to questions con-
cerning the general welfare and progress
of his native country.

He married, January 12, 1870, Amanda
Friedman, daughter of Arnold Friedman,
a retired merchant of this city, and de-
scendant of a family which occupied a



296



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



position of prominence in the same sec-
tion of Bavaria from which came Mr.
Lauterbach's ancestors. For generations
they were wealthy and respected mer-
chants, and Mrs. Lauterbach's great-
great-grandfather, Aaron Friedman, born
1740, died 1824, was owner of the
baronial castle of Kunds, at Burgkund-
stadt, from which fortress the village
took its name. Samuel Friedman, grand-
son of Aaron Friedman, born 1796, died
1880, married Sarah Gries, born 1800, died
1872. Both were noted for their philan-
thropy and benevolence, having endowed
the school of the district in which they
lived, and at her death Mrs. Friedman
bequeathed all her personal fortune to
the poor of her city. Arnold Friedman
married Wilhelmina Straubel, daughter
of Frederick Straubel, of Green Bay, Wis-
consin, whose wife belonged to a titled
Saxon family. Mr. and Mrs. Lauterbach
have four children: i. Alfred, born May
20, 1871, since deceased; graduated at
Columbia, Bachelor of Arts, 1890, and at
the New York Law School, Bachelor of
Laws, 1892; was assistant district attor-
ney of the county of New York, 1896 to
1S99. 2. Edith McDevitt. 3. Florence
Hirschfield, graduate of the Law School
of the University of the City of New
York, 1897. 4- Alice, born i



de-
who



L'AMOREAUX, Jesse Seymour,

Attorney, Jurist.

Jesse Seymour L'Amoreaux is
scended from Huguenot ancestors,
came to America after 1700 and settled
in Dutchess county. New York. His
father, Jesse L'Amoreaux, was born 1790,
in Peekskill, and lived in the town of
Wilton, Saratoga county. New York,
where he was a farmer. He died in 1879.
His wife. Charity (Esmond) L'Amo-
reaux, born 1796, in Pittstown, New
York, died 1895.

Jesse Seymour L'Amoreaux was born



December 11, 1837, in Wilton, where he
grew to manhood. He pursued the full
course at Fort Edward Collegiate Insti-
tute, and after graduation taught school,
first in his native town, and later in
Schuylerville, New York. While residing
in the latter place, in 1856, he began the
study of law in the office of Lewis &
Wells, and located, December i, 1858, at
Ballston Spa, where he began practice in
the following year with C. C. Hill, under
the firm name of Hill & L'Amoreaux.
This continued until February, 1861,
when he joined the Hon. George Chap-
man in practice, and this association con-
tinued a little over two years. After
some years of independent practice, he
formed an association with A. C. Dake.
This firm was later joined by Seth
Whalen, and the firm became L'Amo-
reaux, Dake & Whalan. This was dis-
solved by mutual agreement in 1885. In
1882, Mr. L'Amoreaux was candidate on
the Republican ticket for the office of
county judge of Saratoga county, and his
popularity is evidenced by the fact that
no candidate was opposed to him by any
party. He was unanimously elected, and
after six years of service on the bench re-
sumed his practice, becoming the counsel
for various large corporations, whose
business took him into other States, as
far west as the Mississippi Valley. In
1887, Judge L'Amoreaux was a candidate
before his party convention for the office
of justice of the Supreme Court, and
missed the nomination by the bare
margin of one vote. At the State Con-
vention later the same year he was a
nominee of his party for State Comp-
troller, but the entire ticket was that year
defeated. Upon the organization of the
First National Bank at Ballston Spa, in
1865, Mr. L'Amoreaux became its attor-
ney, and shortly after a director. He was
elected vice-president of the bank, and
later served several years as its presi-
dent. He is a trustee and elder of the
297



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Presbyterian church of Ballston Spa, and
director and trustee in various religious
and educational societies. He is a mem-
ber and moderator of the judiciary com-
mission of the General Assembly of the
Presbyterian church, and also a member
of the board of trustees of the Church
Erection Fund of that body. He is a



CUNNINGHAM, Benjamin B.,

Corporation Counsel,

In elevating Mr. Cunningham to the
office of corporation counsel of the city of
Rochester, the law department of the city
retains the services of a man trained in
the work of the city attorney's office dur-



member of Franklin Lodge, No. 90, Free ing a continuous period of eighteen years,



and Accepted Masons, of Ballston, a past
high priest of Warren Chapter, Royal
Arch Masons, and a member of Wash-
ington Commandery, Knights Templar,
of Saratoga, New York. Early in life he
was a supporter of the Democratic party,
but left it in i860, and has since been one
of the most steadfast and faithful sup-
porters of the Republican party. In 1887
Judge L'Amoreaux began practice in the
city of New York, and is now a member
of the law firm of Graham & L'Amoreaux,
with offices at No. 42 Broadway. This
firm makes a specialty of corporation law,
and acts as counsel for large and import-
ant interests. Judge L'Amoreaux's long
and successful career has been based
upon the solid foundation of thorough



and in the most practical way recognizes
the value of that service to the city.
Admitted to the bar in 1895, Mr. Cunning-
ham became an assistant to the corpor-
ation counsel three years later, beginning
his service under Corporation Counsel
John F. Kinney, then head of the depart-
ment of law, whose opponent he later
became in the famous "Damaged Goods"
controversy. He was retained as assist-
ant under Corporation Counsel Porter
M. French, and his successor, William
W. Webb, succeeding the latter as chief
of the law department of the city upon
the elevation of Mr. Webb to the office
of judge of the Court of Claims of the
State of New York.

In conferring the office upon Mr. Cun-



preparation, judicial ability and indus- ningham. Mayor Edgerton eulogized his

trious application to the interests of his service in the subordinate positions he

clients. He is widely known throughout had filled in the city law department, and

the Empire State, and enjoys the friend- in so doing rendered honor where honor

ship of multitudes of people in and out was due. He is a native son of Roches-

of the legal profession. He is the author ,ter, educated in the city schools, there

of an article on the history of Saratoga acquired his professional education, and

county, New York, and of various articles at the Monroe county bar began his legal



relating to legal and financial subjects.
His connection with the First National
Bank of Ballston has been of notable
value to that institution. He is a member
of the Saratoga County Bar Association,



career, and in the service of the city's
law department has won his fame as a
careful, conscientious official and able
lawyer. He is a man of ambitious nature,
performing each duty with such zeal and



New York County Lawyers Association, earnestness that the logic of events points



State Bar Association of New York, and
American Bar Association. He married,
at Ballston Spa. June 8, 1865. Ellen S.
Holbrook, of Northbridge, Worcester
county, Massachusetts, who died in 1914.



him out for greater responsibilities.

Benjamin B. Cunningham was born in
Rochester, New York, April i. 1874, son
of Michael and Mary (Hanly) Cunning-
ham, his parents then residing in the



298




.7a L'/ ^s!\sndii rinKdi^rs ;VV



-^ I ^cx,