Charles E. (Charles Elliott) Fitch.

Encyclopedia of biography of New York, a life record of men and women whose sterling character and energy and industry have made them preëminent in their own and many other states (Volume 5) online

. (page 49 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

dentistry, dispensing healing and hope,
the friend of all and the Nestor of his
community.

Alfred P. Browning, son of Dr. John
Browning, was born in the town of Men-
don in 1821, there passed his life and died
December 5, 1906. He pursued the quiet,
peaceful life of a farmer, was one of the
substantial men of his town, and was



highly esteemed as a man of integrity and
character. He married Delia Stearns,
whose forbears came to Monroe county
in 1816. She died in 1891, the mother of
two children, Clara M., wife of William
F. Woolston, of Pittsford, Monroe county.
New York, and Clarence J., of Rochester.
Clarence J. Browning was born at the
homestead in the town of Mendon, Mon-
roe county. New York, March 27, 1856.
After exhausting the advantages of the
public schools of his district, he entered
Lima Seminary, there pursuing advanced
studies until graduation with the class of
1877. He later began the study of law
under the preceptorship of John Van
Voorhis, the eminent lawyer of Roches-
ter, and continued his study until suc-
cessfully passing the examining board in
1882, when he gained admission to the
Monroe county bar. He continued in the
Van Voorhis law offices after his admis-
sion and was associated with that firm
until 1888, then began the private prac-
tice of his profession. The years have
brought their reward, many important
cases have been entrusted to his care and
brought to successful issue, and the hopes
of the young lawyer have ended in
fruition. Since 1899 he has practiced
alone, the details of a large practice hold-
ing his undivided attention. He is mas-
ter of the art of presentation and his
briefs are models of clearness and dic-
tion. His knowledge of the law is deep
and comprehensive, his speech eloquent
and pleasing. He is a member of the
Rochester Bar and other legal societies
of the district, and in all State and Fed-
eral courts his appearance is frequent.
In political faith he is a Republican, but
the law is to him a jealous mistress and
he owns allegiance to no other.

Mr. Browning married, March 6, 1883,
Harriet S. Hastings, of Lima, New York,
daughter of George Hastings, of Men-
don, New York.
119



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



TOOKE, Charles Wesley,
Lairyer, Author.

Charles Wesley Tooke, junior partner
of the law firm of Northup, Tooke, Lynch
& Carlson, of Syracuse, was born in the
town of Onondaga, November 21, 1870.
The family is of Scotch-Irish origin, and
was founded in America by the great-
grandfather of Mr. Tooke, who came to
the New World during the latter part of
the year 179S and settled in the town of
Eaton, Madison county. New York, on
what is still known at the Tooke home-
stead. Wesley Fletcher Tooke, father of
Charles W. Tooke, was a minister of the
Methodist Episcopal church, who served
as pastor in the Oneida conference and
later labored earnestly in connection with
the churches in Northern New York. He
died in the year 1907. His wife, Adelia
Elizabeth (Ney) Tooke, was a daughter
of Charles Ney, of Vernon, Oneida coun-
ty. New York, and a representative of
an old New England family of French
lineage. Most of this family removed
from Connecticut to New York and the
mother is now living with Mr. Tooke in
Syracuse.

While spending his boyhood in the
home of his parents, Charles Wesley
Tooke acquired a common school educa-
tion and later pursued a preparatory
course in Franklin Academy at Malone,
New York. In 1887 he matriculated in
Syracuse University and was graduated
with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1891,
receiving the key for the scholarship Phi
Beta Kappa. He also became a member
of the Psi Upsilon. Following his gradu-
ation Mr. Tooke engaged in teaching for
one year as principal of the schools of
Westernville, New York, and the follow-
ing year accepted the professorship of
mathematics in Genesee Wesleyan Acad-
emy at Lima, New York, where he re-
mained for a year. The following year



was devoted to post-graduate work in
Cornell University, and in 1894-95 he was
a fellow in administrative law at Colum-
bia University in New York City. From
1895 until 1902 he was connected with
:the University of Illinois at Urbana, first
as Professor of Political Science and
afterward as Professor of Law. The
Master of Arts degree was conferred
upon him at Syracuse University in 1893,
and the Bachelor of Laws by the Univer-
sity of Illinois in 1898.

In 1902 Mr. Tooke entered upon the
active practice of his profession in Syra-
cuse and associated with Judge Northrup
in general practice with a large and dis-
tinctively representative clientage. The
present firm, with the addition of Francis
J. Lynch and Alexander S. Carlson, is
known as Northup, Tooke, Lynch &
Carlson. Mr. Tooke is regarded as a
capable educator in legal lines and is the
author of numerous brochures, including
"Translations of the Constitution of
Chile," "Uniformity in Municipal Fi-
nance" and "Constitutional Limitations
of Municipal Indebtedness." Aside from
his professional interests, Mr. Tooke is
connected with the Oswego Falls Pulp
and Paper Company of Fulton, New
York, as treasurer and director, and also
with the Skaneateles Paper Company as
(secretary, and is a director in several
other large corporations. He is a trustee
of Syracuse University and of the First
Methodist Church of Syracuse. He be-
longs to the Masonic fraternity, to the
Citizens' Club and to the University
Club, and is also a member of the Amer-
ican Economic Association, the American
Statistical Association and the Ameri-
can Society of International Law. The
development of his native talents through
wide study and close application have
gained him distinction as a sound and
able representative of the bar.



320




I



*Az.



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Mr. Tooke was married in 1902 to
Sarah L. Weeks, a daughter of the late
Forest G. Weeks, of Skaneateles, New
York. Mrs. Tooke died in 1914. He has
one son, Charles, born May 29, 1906.



WHITE, Andrew D.,

Edncator, Historian, Diplomat.

Andrew Dickson White was born in
Homer, Cortland county, November 7,
1832 ; elder of two sons of Horace and
Clara (Dickson) White; grandson of Asa
and Clara (Keep) White and of Andrew
and Ruth (Hall) Dickson. Always of
studious disposition, he attended the ele-
mentary department of the famous Cort-
land Academy at Homer, of which his
maternal grandfather was one of the
founders. In 1839 his parents removed to
Syracuse, where his father became its
foremost banker, railway promoter and
capitalist — a man of extraordinary execu-
tive ability, who died in i860. There
Andrew continued his preliminary educa-
tion in the Syracuse Academy and select
schools, entering Hobart College in the fall
of 1849, wherein he was a member of the
Sigma Phi fraternity, (before which he de-
livered the address at its summer conven-
tion at University of Vermont in i860) ; but
transferred to Yale, where he was affiliated
with the Psi Upsilon (junior society) and
"322" or Skull and Bones (senior), being
graduated in 1853, especially distinguished
in history and belles lettres, being an editor
of the "Yale Literary Magazine" and tak-
ing the first Clark prize for English dis-
putation and the De Forest gold medal,
for the best English composition united
with the best declamation, esteemed the
most shining award the college can
bestow, his subject being the "Diplomatic
History of Modern Times," possibly in-
dicative of the conspicuous figure therein
that he was later to assume ; and all these



in the "star class" of the institution, con-
sidering the large proportion of its mem-
bers who became eminent in public life.

Dr. White pursued post-graduate studies
at the Sorbonne, the College de France
and the University of Berlin (1853-54)
and was attache of the United States
Legation at the Russian court (1854-55).
Returning to America he prosecuted ad-
vanced courses at Yale, from which he
received his Master's degree in 1856 and
membership in the Phi Beta Kappa soci-
ety, (whose orator he was at Vermont
University in i860, at Yale in 1862, at
Brown in 1876, and at Dartmouth in
1906), and an invitation to an art profes-
sorship in his Alma Mater; but, declin-
ing this, he accepted a call to the chair
of History and English Literature in the
University of Michigan in 1857, which
he occupied until 1863, inspiring enthu-
siasm by his magnetic drawing, and a
cordial affection for himself among his
classes, and aiding in the advancement
of the University, as well as fortify-
ing his faith in the "New Education,"
of which Michigan was, even then, a
shining ensample, at the instance of Chan-
cellor Tappan, and which Professor White
was to vindicate splendidly at Cornell.
He was lecturer on history at Michigan,
and also at the universities of Pennsylva-
nia, Leland Stanford, Jr., and Tulane
(1863-67).

In 1859, he married Mary A., daughter
of Peter Outwater, lawyer and banker,
one of the fairest maidens of Syracuse, a
gracious help-meet to her husband in the
lettered, political and courtly circles in
which he moved "from high to higher,
a cultured gentlewoman and charming
hostess. She died at Ithaca in 1887.
Early in 1S63 Dr. White resigned his
chair in Michigan University, regained
his legal residence in Syracuse and made
an extended tour in Europe, publishing.



N y-Voi iv-21



321



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



while in England, a timely and patriotic
pamphlet entitled, "A Word from the
Northwest — A Letter to William Howard
Russell," the renowned war correspondent,
who in his "Diary," with marked sympa-
thy for the cause of the Confederacy, had
made gross misrepresentations of the
intelligence and lettered foundations of
the North, as contrasted with those of
the South. The "Northwest," a crushing
refutation of the ill-informed and ill-
disposed correspondent, was extensively
circulated, did much to remove false im-
pressions and brought its author into
national and even international repute.
He had even before this made his mark
in the magazines, having contributed
to the "Atlantic Monthly" in 1862, "The
Statesmanship of Richelieu," and "Jef-
ferson and Slavery."

In the fall of 1863, he was elected, as
a Republican, from the twenty-second
(Onondaga) district to the State Senate
and was reelected in 1865. In that body,
he took a leading place, addressing it,
from time to time, on various matters of
import, being especially able and service-
able as chairman of the Committee on
Education. Contracting a warm friend-
ship with Ezra Cornell, a fellow senator,
and sympathizing deeply with him in his
purpose to establish an institution of
higher learning in Central New York,
Senator White was notably persuasive in
securing legislation proper and competent
to that end. The story goes that White
endeavored, in the first instance, to have
the intended university erected in Syra-
cuse and pledged, in that event, half his
very considerable fortune to its endow-
ment, in addition to the princely benefi-
cences of Cornell, if the latter would con-
sent to change the plan from that pro-
posed, viz., to locate it in Ithaca, his
home town, saying that he (White)
would increase Cornell's gifts by the



amount indicated, but it was located as
originally designed by Cornell. But, so
impressed was Cornell by White's admin^
istrative, as well as scholarly, capacity,
that he was tendered the presidency of
the University ; and thus Andrew D.
White became, in 1866, its organizer and
head, while Ezra Cornell remained its
founder and chief benefactor.

Dr. White was president of Cornell
University from 1866 until 1885, contin-
uing, after his resignation, a trustee and
as such engaged actively in its adminis-
tration. His presidency is celebrated in
the annals of American education, involv-
ing, as it did so much of creative ken, as
well as scholarly equipment and execu-
tive capacity. Within a decade of its
establishment, Cornell ranked among the
foremost universities in the land — with its
commanding site, its foundation in the
voluntary system, its scope absolutely un-
denominational, its free scholarships, its
distinguished faculties and non-resident
lectureships, the broadened courses of
"the New Education," the endowed col-
leges and noble buildings, the laboratories
and the workshops and the library rich
in assemblage and richer in promise. And
of all this, the president, with due recog-
nition of the great educators and liberal-
handed donors, besides the founder, with
whom he conferred, must be esteemed the
chief architect. His personal gifts to the
institution, during his tenure, totalled
$300,000 ; and, coincident with his retire-
ment, he founded the School of History
and Political Science that bears his name,
presenting it also with his own historical
library of over 30,000 volumes and 10,000
pamphlets and manuscripts.

Throughout, he held courses at Cornell
and his literary output in addresses, peri-
odicals and pamphlets, upon various
themes was of as high quality, as it was
copious. A partial list of these herewith



322



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



follows : Address on "Agricultural Edu-
cation," New York State Agricultural
Society (1869); "Outlines of a Course of
Lectures on History," Cornell University
(1870) ; "Manual Labor and School Work
Combined" (1870) ; "Scientific and Indus-
trial Education in the United States"
(1874); "The Relations of the National
and State Governments to Advanced Edu-
cation" (1874) ; "Paper Money Inflation in
France, How it Came, What it Brought
and How it Ended" (1876) — a timely and
enlightening pamphlet, of nation-wide cir-
culation, mightily persuasive in subduing
"the Greenback craze" — reprinted in 1896 ;
"The Battlefields of Science" (1876), ap-
pearing first serially in the "Science
Monthly," revised, enlarged and entitled
"History of the Warfare of Science with
Theology in Chrisendom" (1895-97), and
translated into French, Italian, Portugese
and German, his most philosophical and
elaborate work, a marvel of research ;
"Education in Political Science" (1879) ;
Memorial Address on James Abram Gar-
field (Ithaca, 1881); "On the Plan of
Western Reserve University" and on
"The Education of Freedmen" — two ad-
dresses at Cleveland (1882) : "The New
Germany" (1882), reprinted in German;
"The Message of the Nineteenth Cen-
tury to the Twentieth," address before
the Class of '53 (Yale, 1883) ; on "Studies
in General History and the History of
Civilization" (American Historical Asso-
ciation Papers, 1884) ; Memorial Address
on Edward Lasker (1884); "What Pro-
fession Shall I Choose" (1884) ; "Benjamin
Silliman," oration at the unveiling of his
statue (1885).

Since his resignation as President of
Cornell, Dr. White has contributed many
articles to magazines, delivered many
addresses and published two works, at
least, of enduring value. These latter are
the "Autobiography of Andrew Dickson



White" (1905) and "The Warfare of Hu-
manity with Unreason," including essays
on Sarpi, Grotius, Thomasius, Turgot and
Caxuur (Scientific Monthly 1903-07), re-
vised and published with additional chap-
ters on Stein and Bismarck, as ".Seven
Great Statesmen in the Warfare of Hu-
manity with Unreason" (1911). The auto-
biography is one of the finest specimens of
a most difiicult species of composition in
which many have failed, from either ina-
bility or unwillingness to express prop-
erly the (jnothi scauthon. Dr. White's
narrative is fascinating, as well as illumi-
nating, from start to finish, frankly, yet
modestly, revealing his own aspirations
and achievements and vivid in its delinea-
tion of the notable persons of two conti-
nents with whom it has been his privilege
to associate. Reviews of it has been uni-
formly applausive and it has wide circula-
tion. The "Warfare of Humanity and
Unreason" is a ripe and intensive study
of the character and service rendered the
State and humanity by certain illustrious
European statesmen and publicists, each
happily selected from among the repre-
sentative men of four centuries ; and,
although necessarily condensed, is among
the most authoritative historical publica-
tions of the day in accurate statement,
sound estimate and sinewy rhetoric. His
standing as a scholar is attested by the
many honorary degrees bestowed upon
him by leading universities of America
and Great Britain, viz. : Doctor of Laws,
Michigan (1867), Cornell (1886), Yale
(1887), St. Andrews (1902), Johns Hop-
kins (1902), Dartmouth (1906), Hobart
(1911) and trustee thereof (1866-77) ; Doc-
tor of Letters, Columbia (1887) ; Doctor
of Philosophy, Jena, Germany (1889) ;and
D. C. L., Oxford (1902). Dr. White has
been and still is interested actively in the
affairs of many learned and philanthropic
bodies. He has, for manv vears, been a



323



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Regent of the Smithsonian Institution; is
a trustee of the Carnegie Institute for
Research, and of the Carnegie Peace
Endowment ; he was the first president
and has always been prominent in the
councils of the American Historical Asso-
ciation, has been president of the Amer-
ican Social Science Association, is a mem-
ber of the American Academy of Arts
and Letters and of the American Philo-
sophical Association and an Elector in the
Hall of Fame. He is an officer of the
Legion of Honor of France, and holder
of the royal gold medal of Prussia for
Arts and Sciences.

Coincidently with his educational serv-
ice, Andrew D. \Miite has had a highly
honorable political career, which must be
sketched briefly. Known in his college
days as an Abolitionist and crossing
swords with the Southern students, of
whom there was a considerable number
at Yale, he identified himself with the
Republican party at its birth, and has
ever been an earnest and consistent cham-
pion of its principles. His senatorial
tenure has been noticed previously. He
was a delegate to the Republican National
Convention of 1864, advocating the re-
nomination of Lincoln; of 1872, favoring
the renomination of Grant; and of 1884,
desiring the nomination of Edmunds, but
faithfully supporting Blaine in the can-
vass. He was chairman of the Republi-
can State Convention at Syracuse in 1871
and a presidential elector in 1872 ; a com-
missioner to Santo Domingo in 1871, ap-
proving President Grant's scheme for its
annexation to the United States; member
of the jury of public instruction at the
Centennial Exposition of 1876 at Philadel-
phia and honorary commissioner at the
Paris Exposition of 1878. He was Envoy
Extraordinary and Minister Plenipoten-
tiary to Germany, 1879-81, succeeding
Bayard Taylor, taking his place in that



distinguished group of American authors,
embracing Irving, Bancroft, Motley, Low-
ell, Taylor and Bigelow, in whose diplo-
matic appointments various Presidents
have shown their courtesy to letters.
President Harrison commissioned him as
minister plenipotentiary to Russia in
1892, which he resigned 1894; and Presi-
dent McKinley in 1897 made him ambas-
sador to Germany, regarded as the second
most honorable distinction in the diplo-
matic service, in the gift of the govern-
ment. Therein he remained for the ensu-
ing six years, rendering valuable service,
especially in arranging satisfactorily the
commercial relations of the two govern-
ments, with the friendliest association
with the embassies of other nations, with
statesmen and savants and with signal
imperial recognition. Devoted to the
cause of international amity he was presi-
dent of the American delegation to the
first peace congress at the Hague in 1879
and has, since his retirement from official
life, through his membership in the Car-
negie Endowment, the Mohonk Lake
Conference, and in addresses and articles,
continued this work, sadly disappointed
at its interruption by the horrors of war
on European soil.

In 1890. Dr. White married Helen
daughter of Dr. Edward Hicks Magill,
president of Swarthmore College, Penn-
sylvania, herself well known as an accom-
plished classical scholar and educator,
having taken degrees at Swarthmore Col-
lege (A. B. 1873) and at the Boston Uni-
versity (Ph. D. 1877), and completed her
preparation for the profession of teaching
by taking the full course in classical
honors of Cambridge University, Eng-
land (classical tripos 1881). She was en-
gaged in teaching for some years before
her marriage, having organized the How-
ard Seminary at West Bridgewater, Mas-
sachusetts, in 1883, at which time she

1-M





CX-^^'O'Cj^x



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



held the position of secretary of the New thirty-five years. Mr. Patterson has been



England Association of Colleges and Pre-
paratory Schools. Of late years she has
been active as a member of the commit-
tee on educational legislation of the
Western New York Branch of the Asso-
ciation of Collegiate Alumnae, especially
on behalf of a betterment of the condition
of the New York State Normal Schools.
In her congenial companionship he is liv-
ing in the presidential mansion on the
Cornell campus, which he has given to
the University, reserving a life tenancy
for himself, among his books and lettered
associations, varied by travel at home
and abroad, still engaged in literary work
and has received and accepted from Pres-
ident Wilson an appointment as the
-American Commissioner, in the Treaty
of Peace with China.

Dr. White has two surviving children
and three grandchildren ; Mrs. Ervin S.
Ferry (Ruth Mary White), wife of the
head of the department of Physics of
Purdue University, Indiana, has one sur-
viving daughter, Grace Helen Ferry. Two
sons, Andrew White Newberry and Ar-
thur Cleaveland Newberry, survivors of
Dr. White's oldest daughter (Clara White
Newberry), are graduates of Cornell Uni-
versity. and the former also of the Colum-
bia School of Mines. Mr. White's young-
est daughter, Karin, born in Helsingfors,
Finland, 1893, during his mission to Rus-
sia, was graduated at Vassar College (A.
B. 1915)-



PATTERSON, Benjamin,

Attorney-at-Lawr.

Among the notable lawyers of New
York is Benjamin Patterson, born in Al-
bany, December 23, 1859, the son of Al-
fred and Barbara (Sheeline) Patterson.
He was admitted to the bar in 1880, re-
moved to New York City, where he has
practiced with increasing success for



retained in many intricate and important
cases wherein he was confronted by the
leaders of the bar both in the Federal and
the State courts. He is as well known
to members of the legal profession
throughout the country as he is to the
New York bar. He has been counsel in
many leading cases, State and Federal,
such as Colon vs. Lisk ; People vs. Sher-
lock ; Peterson vs. Delaware, Lacka-
wanna & Western Railroad, and many
others familiar to the profession. Mr.
Patterson is a member of the Society of
International Law ; American, State and
County Bar associations, and the New
York Press Club. He has written largely
on questions of legal interest that lie out-
side the pale of conventionality.



FOWLER, Purdy A.,

Manufacturer.

On December i, 1885, a new firm was
born in the city of Rochester, New York,
the Langslow-Fowler Company, that
now, thirty-one years later, is one of the
solid, substantial manufacturing houses
of the city. To that house came Purdy
A. Fowler as junior partner, a young man
of thirty-four, a practical mechanic and
experienced furniture salesman, having
covered the United States from the At-
lantic to the Pacific as representative of a
Boston furniture manufactory. With
such equipment he was a valuable addi-
tion and in all the great developments of
the company he has been a potent factor.
As furniture manufacturers the Langs-
low-Fowler Company rank high with the
trade for perfection of goods made in
their plant and for their upright man-
agement of the office departments.

Mr. Fowler comes from distinguished
Westchester county, New York, families,
the Fowlers and Drakes figuring largely
in Colonial and Revolutionary history.



325



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



The maternal ancestor, John Drake,
came from England to Windsor, Connec-
ticut, in 1630. A descendant, Elizabeth
Drake, married John Fowler and left
issue, including a son, Hiram Fowler.
Elizabeth (Drake) Fowler was a daugh-
ter of Dr. Nathaniel and Jane Ann
(Drake) Drake, the latter a daughter of
Jeremiah Drake, a Revolutionary soldier,
and his wife, Frances (Purdy) Drake.
Dr. Nathaniel Drake was a son of Lieu-
tenant Gilbert Drake, a Revolutionary