Charles E. (Charles Elliott) Fitch.

Encyclopedia of biography of New York, a life record of men and women whose sterling character and energy and industry have made them preëminent in their own and many other states (Volume 5) online

. (page 55 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

benefit and his own distinct desert. His
most engrossing labors have been those
devoted to the waterways of the State —
the problems relating to their improve-
ment and utilization. His signal achieve-
ments in this regard, while in the Legis-
lature, have been referred to previously ;
but since his retirement therefrom, he has
also been incessant and indefatigable,
with voice and pen, in correspondence
and convention, in toil and travel, in
moulding public opinion in beh.-df of the
cause he has at heart. His literary con-
tributions thereto have been volumi-
nous. He is the author of "Waterways"
in the "Encyclopedia Americana," and of
"Waterways and Canal Construction in
the State of New York," a volume of five
hundred and fifty pages, and a standard
authority on the subject. He is the author
also of the article entitled "Origin and Con-
struction of the Barge Canals" in "Official
New York from Cleveland to Hughes"
and is also the author of a comprehen-
sive pamphlet on "The Development of
Constitutional Law in New York." He



has written many other articles and de-
livered scores of addresses on canal and
waterway matters in New York ; and has
in preparation a work on "Waterway Ac-
tivities in the State of New York" that
is designed to be the most comprehensive
work on the subject ever produced. For
five years or more Senator Hill has been
president of the New York State Water-
ways Association, a voluntary organiza-
tion, comprising engineers and other sci-
entists and representatives from various
commercial and business bodies, which
meets annually for the consideration of
water and waterway matters of general
public interest, including the seaboard, as
well as the artificial courses and inland
lakes and rivers. Next year, the associ-
ation purposes to celebrate at the con-
vention in Rome the one hundredth anni-
versary of the beginning of canal con-
struction in the State, for it was there
that ground was broken for the original
Erie Canal, July 4, 1817.

He made a tour of inspection of the
waterways of western Europe in 1905 and
has a large collection of the works of
writers, publicists and governmental de-
partments on this subject. Senator Hill
is a director of the National River and
Harbor Congress.

As secretary of the New York State
Champlain Commission, he gave much
time to formulating plans for the celebra-
tion, preparing the program, supervising
most of the addresses and writing the his-
tory associated with the event. The rec-
ords alone required research into archives
to put into correct form hundreds of In-
dian, French and other names, places and
occurrences, which have been too care-
lessly mentioned by many historians. Tlie
Senator's researches render the narra-
tive, comprising two large volumes, en-
tirely trustworthy. In recognition of
this the President of France and the
Council, in 1913, conferred knighthood



359



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHl



upon him in tlie National Legion of Hon-
or. He was one of the contributors to
the Bibliophile edition of the "Odes and
Episodes of Horace,'" of whose works he
has many valuable volumes. He has
written many historical addresses, some
of which have appeared in the publica-
tions of the Buffalo Historical Society, of
which he has been president since 1910.
He is a citizen of high ideals, as evidenced
by his varied activities and productions,
all bearing the finish of rare culture.

Senator Hill is a member of the First
Congregational Church of Bufifalo; of
the American Bar, the Bibliophile So-
ciety of Boston, several historical asso-
ciations ; a member of the Knights of
Pythias, and one of the tribunes of its
Grand Lodge ; and a member of the Lake
Erie Commandery, Knights Templar
(York Rite) and of the Consistory of the
Scottish Rite, thirty-second degree of the
Masonic order, and of the Phi Beta Kap-
pa Society of Bufifalo. His clubs are the
University of Buffalo, the Hobby and the
Franco-American of New York.



KINNE, E. Olin, M. D.,

Physician, Hospital Official.

Dr. E. Olin Kinne, highly regarded phy-
sician of Syracuse, New York, in which
city he has practiced for considerably
more than a generation, was born in De
Witt, Onondaga county. New York, July
25, 1852, son of Elbridge and Sophronia
(Young) Kinne. Elbridge Kinne was one
of the pioneers of Onondaga county. New
York, and his ancestors were among the
earliest of colonial families of the Massa-
chusetts Colony of the seventeenth cen-
tury. The Kinne family history is part of
the history of this nation, in its early
Colonial days of development.

The progenitor of the Kinne-Kinney
family in America was Henry Kinne, son



of Sir Thomas Kinne (or Kine), an Eng-
lish knight of royal favor, and possessed
of considerable landed estate in Lan-
cashire, England. He is reputed to have
owned the land whereon now stands the
important manufacturing city of Man-
chester, England. Appleton's "Cyclopedia
of American Biography" records that a
Sir Thomas Kinney came to this country
"before the Revolution" to explore the
mineral resources of New Jersey, but this
probably has reference to a generation of
the titled house subsequent to that headed
by Sir Thomas Kinne (or Kine), father of
Henry Kinne, the original American an-
cestor of the family.

Henry Kinne, who probably was a
younger son of Sir Thomas Kinne (Kine),
was born in England in 1624, and no
further information as to his movements
appears in the annals of the family until
the recording of his emigration from Hol-
land to America in 1651, or earlier. Why
he should have emigrated from England
to Holland, or when, does not appear,
though it is feasible to suppose that it
iiad some connection with governmental
pressure, because of his religious convic-
tions. That he was an adherent of the
Independent Church of England, which
was actively opposed to the Romanizing
of the established Church of England, is
somewhat substantiated by his ultimate
emigration to America and to the Massa-
chusetts Colony, which was composed al-
most e.Mclusively of members of that
church. However, State chronicles record
that "Henry Kinne served in King Philip's
war, and was a prosperous farmer, active
in town and church affairs." He settled
at Salem, Massachusetts, with his wife.
Anna, and in that settlement their eight
children were born, the date of birth of
their first-born being shown in the rec-
ords as January, 1651, so that a]:)parently
Henry Kinne's landing in .A^merica was



360



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



earlier than 165 1, unless his marriage
occurred in Holland before his emigra-
tion.

The Kinne family has, in the many gen-
erations from that of Henry Kinne, the
progenitor, to the present, spread to al-
most all parts of the United States, and
its many members, during the various na-
tional periods of unrest experienced in the
centuries of evolution, have creditably
shown their national spirit. Many have
been soldiers of distinction ; many have
been of political prominence ; some have
gained eminence in the church, while
others have acquired influence in the vari-
ous other civil walks of life. Bishop
Aaron Kinne, a clergyman of much emi-
nence, born at Norwich, Connecticut, Sep-
tember 24, 1744, graduate of Yale Univer-
sity, 1765, had an unusually diversified
life. In the early years following his ordi-
nation, he was a missionary to the Oneida
Indians, a particularly hazardous labor.
In 1769 he was elected bishop at Groton,
Connecticut, where he remained until 1798.
in this period passing through many ex-
citing episodes, one at Fort Griswold,
where he was chaplain to the American
forces during the investment of the for-
tress by British and Indians in 1781, and
was present at the massacre of September
6, 1781, when Colonel Ledyard was killed,
and the fort taken by the British and In-
dians, led by Benedict Arnold. Especially



the eminent Hungarian exile. Another
Kinne of note was Justice La Vega
George Kinne, candidate for Governor of
the State of Iowa during the administra-
tion of President Garfield, and later ap-
pointed Chief Justice of Iowa.

And. Cyrus Kinne, great-grandfather
of Dr. E. Olin Kinne, of Syracuse, New
York, who served with the American
army throughout the Revolutionary War,
so that, all in all, the Kinne family has
played no unimportant part in the making
of American history.

Dr. E. Olin Kinne passed his early
years of elementary education in the dis-
trict school of his native place, De Witt,
Onondaga county, New York, and later
attended the Syracuse public schools, re-
ceiving also private tuition, preparatory
to his entrance into Syracuse University,
whereat he commenced advanced aca-
demic studies in 1872. Four years later
he graduated from the unversity, gaining
the distinctive degree of Bachelor of Phi-
losophy. Having determined the direc-
tion of his future activity, and being de-
sirous of acquiring an expert knowledge
of the science of medicine without loss of
time, E. Olin Kinne proceeded to the Uni-
versity of Michigan very shortly after
having obtained his degree at Syracuse in
1876, and there devoted his thoughts and
time exclusively to professional studies,
successfully graduating in 1878, and be-



is Bishop Aaron Kinne famed for his liter- coming thereby the possessor of the uni-

ary productions, and theological writings, versity's degree of Doctor of Medicine,

among his published works being: "The which entitled him to practice the profes-

Sonship of Christ ; " "A Display of Scrip- sion at his pleasure thereafter.

ture Prophecies" (1813) ; "Explanation of Returning to Syracuse, New York, Dr.

the Types, Prophecies, Revelation, Etc." Kinne determined to obtain his final aca-

(1814), and an "Essay on the New demic degree, and accordingly reentered



Heaven and Earth" (1821).

Then, the Kinne-Kinney family in-
cludes the late William B. Kinney, a
journalist of note, who in 185 1 was ap-
pointed United States Minister to Sar-
dinia, and who was a friend of Kossuth,



Syracuse University, for a post-graduate
course, and the following year (1879)
gained his Mastership of Philosophy degree.
Meanwhile, he had undertaken additional
post-graduate medical study and research,
and after having received his final degree



361



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



at Syracuse, was anxious to settle into ac-
tive general practice of his profession,
with which object he, in 1879, traveled ex-
tensively in the Southern States. Not
finding a favorable location in the South,
Dr. Kinne returned to Syracuse, and hav-
nig, at that time, an inclination to make
himself especially proficient in one line of
medical science before entering upon the
ties and varied duties of a general prac-
titioner, he began a special research into
the causes and treatment of diseases of
the eye and ear, which intricate studies
occupied his whole time for two years.
Then he went into the State of New Jer-
sey, and for about a year practiced at
Paterson, returning to Syracuse in May.
1882, and immediately opened an office in
Syracuse for general homoeopathic prac-
tice, which he has continued with ever-in-
ceasing honor and prestige until the
present (1916). After a brief period, dur-
ing which he clearly demonstrated his
skill as a diagnostician of the perplexing
physical ailments of the human frame,
and an expert familiarity with the anti-
dotes to the diseases of man, Dr. Kinne's
practice steadily developed to its present
wide and lucrative proportions.

He has likewise in his practice and
study of medicine acquired the esteem of
his confreres in medicine, and has been
brought into affiliation with many profes-
sional associations, the main objects of
which organizations are the interchange
of professional experiences and observa-
tions, for the furtherance of the under-
standing of medical science, and the
amelioration of suffering. Dr. Kinne
holds membership in the American In-
stitute of Plomoeopathy ; the New York
State Homoeopathic Medical Society ; the
Onondaga County Homoeopathic Medical
Society ; and the Medical-Chirurgical So-
ciety of Central New York. His standing
among homoeopathic physicians is obvi-
ous in the fact of his having been elected



to the presidency of the American Asso-
ciation of Medical Examiners, and, locally,
by his official connection as consulting
physician with ihe Homoeopathic Hos-
pital, Syracuse, New York.

Dr. Kinne's fraternal inclinations have
found expression in his association with
many fraternal and social orders ; he
wears the Phi Beta Kappa key ; has many
chairs, titles, and other fraternal distinc-
tions to his credit; and bearing in mind
the diversified and multitudinous profes-
sional claims made upon the time of a
successful general medical practitioner,
Dr. Kinne has well observed his fraternal
obligations. He has never, however, in-
terested himself actively in political work.

On November i, 1881, Dr. Kinne mar-
ried Ella M. Potter, of Utica, New York.
Six children were born to the marriage,
but unfortunately three died in infancy.
The three surviving children are : Marion
E.. born August 23, 1S82 ; Elbridge P..
born August 6, 1886; and Carleton H.,
born April 20, 1888. The daughter has
manifested high intellectual powers ; was
a graduate of Syracuse University, 1905,
afterwards studying two years in France
and Germany ; and she is now supervising
instructor of German in the schools of
Elizabeth, New Jersey.

As a scion of an old Colonial house. Dr.
Kinne naturally holds highly in esteem
his privilege and admittance to member-
ship in the "Sons of the American Revo-
lution,"' his right to inclusion coming from
ancestors of at least three different lines —
from Cyrus Kinne, John Young and Jere-
miah Jackson, all of whom served their
country loyally in the struggle for inde-
pendence.



CLEMENT, Frank H.,

Man of Affairs.



It was not until he was twenty-eight
that Frank H. Clement, of Rochester, per-



362



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



manently established in the business with
which he has been connected for forty
years, a business now an important
branch of the American Wood Working
Machinery Company, Mr. Clement its
chief of construction. But the year fol-
lowing the completion of his studies until
the beginning of his real life work were
well spent and he acquired a broad experi^
ence in lines which later were to intimate-
ly aflect the business he founded and de-
veloped to a point which attracted the
covetous attention of a large company.
Fifty-three years ago, 1863. Air. Clement
came to Rochester inexperienced in prac-
tical business, but a young man of educa-
tion with a talent for draughting and en-
gineering. That talent was developed in
the employ of others but circumstances
finally brought about a complete change
in his life and an humble start was made
in 1871 by the establishment of a small
jobbing machine shop in Rochester. From
that year his business life has iiowed in
an unljroken current within the confines
of that same business, but so broadened
and expanded that it is hard to believe it
sprang from so small a beginning. Mr.
Clement did not inherit, he did not suc-



he was descended from Revolutionary
sires, the maternal side bearing the family
name Harris. In 1824 he settled in Clark-
son, Alonroe county, New York, where he
was a merchant for several years. He
then moved to Parma, New York, and in
1864 to Rochester where he served for
three years as deputy collector of the in-
ternal revenue. He was a leader of the
Republican party in the county, and while
living at Parma served several times as
supervisor, elected without opposition.
He married Clarissa Tilden Pond, of
Knoxboro, Oneida county. New York,
who survived him exactly six years, pass-
ing away on the anniversary of her hus-
band's death in 1879. They were the
parents of two sons, Theodore T., and
Frank H., to whom this review is dedi-
cated.

Frank H. Clement was born in Parma,
Monroe county. New York. June 26, 1843,
his birthplace the homestead farm on the
Ridge road. There his youth was passed
and the foundation of his character laid
under the watchful care of his honored
father and mother. He attended the dis-
trict public school until its advantages
were exhausted, then continued his studies



ceed another, but he built from the very at Parma Academy and Rochester Colle-



foundation, and is one of the men of to-
day who can rejoice in the fact that he
has been a strong factor in the upbuilding
of a prosperous city.

The Clements of this branch date in
Monroe county. New York, from 1824,
when Harris Clement came, but they
trace lineal descent to James Clement, a
Scotch-Irishman, who came to New Eng-
land in 1730 and settled at Lancaster,
Massachusetts. From James Clement
sprang Harris Clement, son of John and
Polly (Richardson) Clement, of Peter-
sham, Massachusetts. Harris Clement
was born at Petersham in 1801, died in
Rochester, New York, May 13, 1873. On
both the paternal and the maternal sides



giate Institute. He taught in the district
schools for two years after completing his
own school years, but kept up his own
studies, being especially interested in me-
chanical drawing and engineering.

In 1863 he permanently became a resi-
dent of Rochester and began his business
career with the steam engine building
firm of D. A. Woodbury & Co. He re-
mained with that company five years, ac-
quiring expert knowledge of machine
building and became foreman of a depart-
ment. He also was a capable, talented
draughtsman and possessed a valuable
stock of information concerning ma-
chinery, its designing and its construc-
tion. In 1868 he accepted appointment as



363



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



inspector of steam boilers for the twenty-
eighth New York district, but only re-
tained that post one year, resigning to
become a partner of W. S. Loughbor-
ough, and until Mr. Clements health
failed they conducted business as patent
solicitors.

His failure of health brought a com-
plete change in the plan and he decided
he must abjure office work and lead a
more active life. In 1871 he formed a
partnership with Thomas L. Turner and
as Turner & Clement they opened a small
shop for machine jobbing of every kind,
no job too small to be considered worthy
of their attention. Their patronage grew
and for six years the partnership con-
tined. Mr. Turner then wishing to retire
Mr. Clement purchased his interest and
continued alone. The little shop became
unable to meet the demands made upon it
and as quarters were enlarged new lines
of business were introduced. The manu-
facture of wood working machines was
added and within a few years various ma-
chines in that line were being made, the
demand coming from manufacturers of
furniture, from pattern makers, carriage
builders, car builders and other concerns
using wood working machinery. In 1890
the brick plant on Lyell avenue adjoining
the Erie canal was erected and the line
of manufacture greatly broadened. Up to
this time Mr. Clement had been sole
owner and proprietor of the business, but
in 1891 the responsibility became too
great for one man and additional help
was secured through incorporation of the
Frank H. Clement Company, Mr. Clement
president and manager.

Until the foundation of the corporation
in 1891 Mr. Clement had been the me-
chanical head of the business as well as
its executive manager, the machines being
built from his designs, some of them from
his own patents, and had in addition to
supervising their construction personally



attended to office details and correspond-
ence. The amount of work he was en-
abled to accomplish tells the story of his
energy and capacity better than words.
The company's catalogue of 1892-93
shows that he was manufacturing seventy
different wood working machines that
were being shipped to all parts of the
LTnited States and to foreign lands. With
incorporation relief came and the various
departments were placed under the care of
the proper officials, Mr. Clement, however,
remaining executive head and manager
of the plant, the largest of its kind in the
State. The Frank H. Clement Company
continued a most successful career until
1897 when it was absorbed by the Ameri-
can Wood Working Machinery Company,
and is operated as a branch of that com-
pany, Mr. Clement still a potent factor in
the management and success, ranking as
chief of construction.

He is a lifelong member of the Presby-
terian church, his membership for twenty-
two years having been with the Brick
Church congregation. In 1884 he became
one of the founders of the North Church
congregation, his name appearing on the
list of charter members. He is a ruling
elder and from its foundation has been a
strong pillar of support. In political faith
he is a Republican. A man of warm heart
and generous impulse, he has many friends,
some of them dating back to his early
Rochester days, now half a century past.
He has borne his full share of the "bur-
dens and heat of the day" and now in the
evening of life the lengthening shadows
warn him that "old age is an incurable
disease." But the years have stolen no
fire from his mind and but little vigor
from the body, and "age a mature mellow-
ness doth set upon the green promise of
youthful heat."

Mr. Clement married (first) in 1866,
Harriet E. Fielden, daughter of Armi-
stead Fielden, of Brockport, New York.
3^4



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAi'llV



Mrs. Clement died in 1880; two of her
children are yet living and residing in
Rochester: Benjamin Harris Clement and
Mary Genevieve Clement, residing at
home. Mr. Clement married (second) in
1882, Lovisa S. Knapp, of Farmington,
Pennsylvania, who prior to her marriage
was a teacher in Rochester schools. The
family home is No. 46 Lorimer street,
Rochester.



BLOSS, William C. and Joseph B.,

Active Factors in Public Affairs.

Originally from Massachusetts the
Bloss family located in Monroe county,
New York, in 1816, the early settlers be-
ing Joseph Bloss, a Revolutionary soldier,
and his son, William Clough Bloss, grand-
father and father of Joseph Blossom Bloss,
of Rochester. The old brick tavern on
East avenue, Brighton, near the railroad,
still standing, was built by William Clough
Bloss, who conducted it as a hotel for
several years. With the onrush of the
first temperance wave which swept over
the United States he experienced a change
of heart, emptied his stock of liquor into
the canal, sold his hotel and moved to
Rochester, where his son, Joseph Blossom
Bloss, was born. These three generations
have left a deep impress upon their times,
and the life work of the last named has
equalled in importance that of his honored
father, William Clough Bloss, than which
no higher compliment can be paid him.

Joseph Bloss, the grandfather, marched
to the war with his mother's blessings
and her injunction ringing in his ears :
"Joe, don't get shot in the back." He was
a brave soldier and to him was entrusted
the duty of carrying to General W'ash-
ington the news of Major Andre's capture.
He came to Monroe county. New York,
with his family in 1816 and died in Brigh-
ton, near Rochester, in 1838.



His son, William Clough Bloss, was
born in West Stockbridge, Massachu-
setts, January 19, 1795. After locating in
Rochester he became an ardent temper-
ance advocate, represented a Rochester
district in the New York Legislature and
was one of the strong anti-slavery men of
his day. He served during the sessions
of 1845-46-47, and while a legislator
offered the following amendment to the
State Constitution: "Resolved, That no
other proof, test or qualification shall be
required of or from persons of color in
relation to their exercise of the right of
suffrage, than is in this constitution re-
quired of or from white persons." This
resolution was introduced in 1845, and
was the first effort in New York State to
award the colored man the ballot.

In 1838, he published the second anti-
slavery paper printed in the United States,
"The Rights of Man," and in the presi-
dential campaign of 1856 published and
circulated a map illustrating the aggres-
sions of the slave power, the Southern
States being shown in black and the
Northern States in white. The map was
widely circulated and when found in
Southern mails was ordered destroyed.
A copy of this valuable historical docu-
ment is on file at the Rochester Historical
Society, presented by Porter Farley, and
a copy is owned by Harvard College do-