to industrial institutions for the blind in neighboring states. Henry
INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND 61
J. Van Vliet, who is in charge of this work, was at one time a student
at the Perkins Institution and has twice been a member of the New
Hampshire Legislature. Communications concerning this work should
be addressed to the State Board of Charities and Correction, Con-
cord, N. H.
Pensions for the Blind. In 1915 a law was passed which provided
a sum. not to exceed $150 per annum to be paid from the County
Treasury to each needy blind person. The New Hampshire law is
almost an exact replica of the Ohio law. The reader is therefore
referred to Ohio for further particulars upon this subject.
Association for the Blind. Established, 1913, its purpose in gen-
eral being to further the interests of the blind of the state, and to
cooperate, so far as possible, with the efforts carried on at state ex-
pense. Secretary. Miss Kate Sanborn, Tilton, N. H.
Libraries for the Blind. Concord, Stale Library.
Manchester, City Library.
Commission for tin Blind, 54 James St.. Newark. Established in
1909. The general plan and purpose of the Commission is outlined
under "Commission for the blind." in the Introduction to this sec-
tion. The Commission employs a Supervisor, her Secretary, a book-
keeper, and five traveling home teachers. Weekly lessons in tuning
are also given at headquarters.
State Education of Blind Children. New Jersey maintains no in-
stitution for the education of her blind children, but sends them, at
the expense of the state, to the New York Institute for the Blind, in
New York City, and to the Pennsylvania Institution at Overbrook.
Co-education of the Blind and ilic Seeing in tin Public Schools of
Network. A class for blind children was opened in November, 1910.
There is an attendance of 17. If children enter this class from
neighboring towns a fee of $200 is charged. The plan for educating
blind children in the public schools is outlined in the Introduction
to Ibis section. Teacher in charge, Miss Janet G. Paterson.
Co-education of the Blind and the Seeing in the Public Schools of
Jersey City. A class for blind children was opened in this city in
December, 1911. Six children are in attendance. Tuition for chil-
dren from neighboring cities is $100. For further particulars, sec
the Introduction to this section. Teacher in charge, Miss Clara M.
New Jersey State Aid for Blind Babies. New Jersey makes pro-
vision of $450.00 a year for the care, medical treatment, maintenance.
Photo from the School for the Wind. Colorado Springs. Colo.
Instruction for the blind in poultry raising has been given with increasing interest since
1907. The Colorado school has developed this phase of training for blind children exten-
l'hoto from the School for the Blind, Hartford, Oram,
Outdoor employment furnishes one of the best forms of physical and
manual training for the blind.
64 INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND
and education of each blind infant and child under school age, whose
parents are unable to properly care for them. These infants may be
Bent to the Arthur Home for Blind Babies. "When blind children are
old enough to go to a school ior the blind, the state will pay for their
tuition while attending such an institution in a neighboring state, at
the rate of $400 a year.
Tin Arthur Home for Blind Babies, Summit. Founded, June, 1909,
by the Department of the Blind of the International Sunshine Society.
This Nursery can take care of 45 infants. It is supported by voluntary
contributions and the fees received from states which have sent blind
babies to it. The states which pay for the maintenance of blind chil-
dren outside of their borders have a reference to such a law under
the respective states. Superintendent, Miss Anna Welch.
Home of our Lady of Perpetual Help for the Blind, Bayonne.
Founded, 1890, incorporated in 1891, as a boarding and day school
for blind and partially blind children, and a home for the aged
blind, male and female. This institution receives the blind from any
part of the United States. In charge, Sister Rosalie.
St. Joseph's Home for the Blind, Jersey City. The home was opened
by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace in the fall of 1890, in a private
residence. The main building was completed in 1899, at a cost of
$65,000. Since that time large additions and improvements have been
made. In 1905 a house was purchased adjoining the main building
to be used as a residence for men who were for the first time admitted.
In 1908 a much larger house was added and occupied by the men as
a home, their former building being converted into workshops. In
1909 a third house was purchased, to be used as a school department
Applicants without a home, and having no one to care for them, are
admitted to the institution from any state, and it is expected that most,
especially the older ones, will remain for life. The state makes no
appropriation for the institution, whose maintenance is entirely de-
pendent upon voluntary contributions. The institution is owned by
the Sisters and is a monument to their devotion to the welfare of the
blind. The male occupants of the Home work at mattress-making,
broom-making, chair-caning, hammock-making and weaving. They
receive a percentage of their earnings. The younger women are given
instruction in sewing, knitting and crocheting. They also make ham-
mocks and prepare the covers for mattresses for that department.
The regular branches are taught in the school department, and both
instrumental and vocal music are taught. In charge, Sister M. Ger-
INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND 65
Camden County Association of Workers for the Blind. Meeting
place, Y. M. C. A. Its object is to promote the social, intellectual, and
economical welfare of the blind. Secretary, Miss Ethel Robinson,
314 Elm St., Camden, N. J.
New Jersey Association for tin Blind. Montclair. Organized, 1911.
The purpose of this organization is to cooperate in every possible
way with the State Commission for the Blind, and to aid in stimulating
further state aid for additional work for the blind. President, Rev.
Win. J. Dawson, D. D.
New Jersey Blind Men's Club, -A -lames St.. Newark. Organized,
1910. Its object is to promote the social and economical welfare of
the blind. Secretary. W. .1. Addickes.
New Jersey Progressiva /Hind Men's Society, Free Public Library,
Jersey Cili). Organized, 1910. Its objecl is to promote social, intel-
lectual, and economical welfare of the blind. Secretary. L. P.
Trento'n Association of Workers for tin Blind, Trenton. Organized,
L911. Object is to promote the social and economical welfare of the
blind. Secretary. .Mrs. Stanley (Yosland. 241 Tyler St., Trenton, N. J.
Tin Trenton Auxiliary for tin Industrial Blind, 346 South War-
ren St.. Tnnton. Valuation of plant, $3,500. A working home for
men where chair-caning ami rug-weaving are done. Headquarters
called the "Lighthouse." President, Mrs. Harriet Fisher Andrews.
Libraries for tin lliind. The Library for the Blind, X. V. Public
Library, and the Five Public Library of Philadelphia loan books to
residents of New Jersey. This puts at the disposal of the blind of this
state books from the largesl collection of embossed books for the blind
in the United States.
Institute for the Blind. Alamogordo. Founded, 1903; opened,
1906. Capacity, 50. Valuation of plant, $50,000. Annual state ap-
propriation, $20,000. Fifty thousand acres of land have been given
by the state to this institution, and will ultimately become a source of
Large income. For school use there ate 22 acres of land, two of which
are devoted to athletics. There is a gymnasium. For requirements
for admission, course, term, and purpose of instruction, see the Intro-
duction to this section. Superintendent, Pi. R. Pratt.
Library for the Blind. Alamogordo, Institute for the Blind, 500
volumes, 100 titles. The books may be circulated throughout the
66 INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND
Nt w York Instituti for tin Education of the Blind, 34th Street and
9th Ave., New York City. Founded, 1831; opened, March 15, 1832.
Capacity, 180. Valuation of plant, $1,130,000. Annual state ap-
propriation. $350 per capita ; other income from investments. Pupils
are admitted without restriction as to residence but aie appointed as
state pupils from Greater New York and the neighboring counties of
the state by the New York State Education Department. They are
also appointed as state pupils from New Jersey on application to the
Governor, as well as from other localities by arrangement with the
Board of Managers. The institution owns several lots of land in New
York City. These have been purchased at different times with the
expectation of moving the school from its present location, which is
next to the Pennsylvania Railroad Station, to a site where there will
be more space for new buildings, athletics and recreation. The Board
of Managers is, as this goes to press, in the midst of making arrange-
ments for the final location of the new school. In the meantime, the
institution still stands upon the historic site which it has occupied
for 82 years, and covers about four acres of ground, two of which
are available for athletics. There is a gymnasium. For requirements
for admission, course, term, and purpose of institution, see Introduc-
tion to this section. Principal, Edward M. Van Cleve.
State School for the Blind, Batavia. Founded, 1865; opened, 1868.
Capacity, 180. Valuation of plant, $460,000. Annual state appro-
priation, $60,000, approximately. The children are admitted from
any part of the state excepting the ten lower counties. The school
owns sixtj^ acres of land, two of which are available for athletics.
There is a gymnasium. For requirements for admission, course, term,
and purpose of instruction, see the Introduction to this section. Super-
intendent, C. A. Hamilton.
Catholic Institute for the Blind, 175th Street and University Ave.,
N( ir York City. Founded, 1909. Capacity, 30. It occupies rented
quarters, and is supported both by city appropriation and voluntary
contributions. Its purpose is the education and care of Catholic blind
children, under the direction of the Sisters of St. Dominic. Superior-
ess. Sister M. Bertrand.
Co-education of the Blind and the Seeing, in the Public Schools;
of New York City. Established, 1909. Total enrollment. 184. There
are 18 centers, 16 for blind children (i. e., those with less than 6/60
vision) ; 1 for blind children of kindergarten age; and 2 centers for
children with defective vision (i. e., those who have more than 6/60
vision and less than enough to attend the regular classes with profit).
INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND 67
Pupils vary in ages from 4 to 19 years, and attend all the grades
from the kindergarten to the last year in high school. One boy, a
strictly "public school product," graduated at the head of his class
and is now studying law at Columbia University. For further par-
ticulars about the public school method of education see the Intro-
duction to this section. Supervisor, Miss Frances E. Moscrip.
State Aid for College Students. New York has the distinction of
being the first state to appropriate public funds to provide readers
for blind students attending universities. The law, with an appro-
priation annually of $3,000, went into effect in July, 1907. The bill
was formulated and enacted through the untiring efforts of a blind
man, Dr. Newel Perry. The allowance for each student is $300 a
New York Commission for the Blind, 105 W. 40th St., New York.
Established, 1913. State appropriation, 1915-16, $31,640. The com-
mission employs eight home teachers (blind), one field agent (par-
tially blind) and two social service nurses. Home teaching centers
have been established in Yonkers, Albany, Glens Falls, Utica, Syracuse,
Rochester, and Buffalo, while Industrial Training Centers are located
in Albany, Glens Falls. Qtiea, and Rochester. The activities of the
Commission in Brooklyn and New York are in affiliation with the
privately supported associations in these cities. All individual cases
are referred to the Associations, the Commission availing itself of the
organized machinery of these Associations to 'supplement their work.
Material is furnished by the Commission for articles to be manufac-
tured from samples under the direction of the Association visitor.
Checks for satisfactory work are made out to individual blind workers
by the Commission, and are distributed by the Association. This plan
establishes uniform standards and avoids duplication of effort. The
Commission acts as a clearing house for sales of work for privately
supported associations as well as for individual workers. The funda-
mental policy of this Commission is outlined in the Introduction to
this section. Secretary, Miss Marion A. Campbell.
New York City Pension. "Adult blind persons not inmates of any
of the public or private institutions in the City of New York, who
shall be in need of relief, and who shall be citizens of the United States,
and shall have been residents of the said city for two years previous
to the application for such relief" (to quote from the city charter, of
June, 1900, section 576), may receive a sum not to exceed $100 "under
such rules and restrictions as the Board may deem necessary." The
total amount of money distributed in pensions is not to exceed $75,000
annually. This money is distributed twice a year. The first city
pension was paid in 1875.
68 INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND
New Yuri; Association for the Blind, 111 E. 59th St., New York.
Founded, 1905. The valuation of the various plants is as follows:
The Light house, at 111 E. 59th St.. $278,764.60; Vacation Home, at
1 'I into from the Now York Association for the Blind.
Eeadquartera of the New York Association for the Blind, Otherwise Known as
Efforts in behalf of the adult blind are now being made in many states, but
in none is there to be found n more completely equipped building than that of the
Cornwall-on-the-Hudson, $20,000; Tuning School, at 357 E 49th St.,
rented building; The Bourne Workshop, 338 E. 35th St.. $130,000.
All the activities of the New York Association are supported by vol-
untary contributions and by the income from a $400,000 endowment
INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND 69
fund. The various trades pursued by the beneficiaries defray a con-
siderable portion of the operating expenses, but a large proportion of
the outlay is for certain phases of educational work, relief, and social
settlement activities for which there is no financial return. There is
no restriction as to age, race, or creed of applicants. The Associa-
tion aims to aid the blind in every possible manner, and its purposes
are well exemplified in the Introduction to this section of the Encyclo-
p< dia. The activities of the Association are carried on all the year
round. The Vacation Home at Cornwall-on-the-Hudson, is open from
June until September, and for convalescents during the remainder of
The New York Association has established several clubs, the chief
purpose of which is to establish pleasant social relations between mem-
bers of the various organizations. Secretary, Miss Winifred Holt.
Tuning School, 357 E. 49th St. Operated under the auspices of
the New York Association for the Blind. Opened in the fall of 1913.
There are eight pupils. Their suitability for work admits them. The
length of the course depends entirely upon the ability of the pupils,
previous training in work, etc. There is a special examination given
before certificates are granted. The pupils are examined by a dis-
interested firm of piano manufacturers who pass upon their ability,
etc. Three former pupils are now actively and profitably engaged in
private and factory tuning.
Bourne Workshop for lh< Blind, 338 E. 35th St.. New York. This
workshop is maintained and operated by the New York Association
for the Blind. Broom-making is the principal industry, and was
begun in 1906. The present building, donated by Miss Emily Bourne,
was opened in October, 1912. Valuation of plant, $130,000. Employ-
ment can be given to 90 men. There are no restrictions, as to age,
race, or creed, for admission, except that applicants must be from
Xew York City or state. There is no boarding house connected with
this workshop. Superintendent. De Witt Killinger.
Industrial Home for tJic Blind of Brooklyn, 512 Gates Ave., Brook-
lyn. This was the first organized movement in behalf of the adult
blind in New York State. Founded, October 1, 1893 ; capacity, 75
valuation of plant. $50,000. Broom-making, chair-caning, and mat
tress-making are the chief industries. Deficit is made up entirely by
private subscriptions. A boarding house is operated chiefly for the
benefit of single men, where board is provided at a nominal figure
About one-half of the men avail themselves of the boarding house, and
the remainder of the employees live in the neighborhood. Superin-
tendent, Eben P. Morford.
70 INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND
Headquarters for the Blind, Brooklyn Bureau of Charities, 267
Schermerhorn St., Marie Bloede Memorial Bldg., Brooklyn. Estab-
lished, 1914. Valuation of plant, $35,000. Supported by private
contributions and by income from the Fox bequest. Available to
residents of Brooklyn. The activities of this institution are now car-
ried on in a building which is donated, and might be said to serve
as headquarters for much of the social activity in behalf of the blind
of Brooklyn. Several clubs of blind people meet here. Besides the
weaving and basketry, which are taught to blind women, classes in
cooking, etc., are arranged for those who wish to avail themselves
of the same. Two home teachers are maintained. Blind children from
the public schools in Brooklyn come here Saturday mornings for
instruction in sewing, basketry, cooking, physical training and camp
fire work. The headquarters are open from September 1st to July
1st. Director, Thomas J. Riley.
Department for the Blind, Brooklyn. Association for Improving
the Condition of the Poor. This institution is known as the Exchange
and Training Center for the Blind, of the Brooklyn A. I. C. P. It
was established in 1912, and is supported by contributions and by
income from the Fox bequest. Conducts a workshop and salesroom;
chairs are caned and baskets made in the workshop; in the sales-
room baskets, rugs and knitted articles are sold on consignment for
blind individuals and for students or employees in the workshop. The
department also conducts a school where blind young men and women
are given advanced training in the use of the typewriter and dicta-
phone, with a special reference to clerical work in offices and to the
transcription of court proceedings. It is also about to establish a
school for salesmanship through affiliation with a department of
Columbia University. There are 38 blind men in the basket shop ; 13
in the typewriting classes, and 13 in the salesmanship class. Director,
Charles Bishop Hayes.
New York State Federation of Workers for the Blind. This organi-
zation was established primarily to secure legislation necessary for the
establishment of a state commission for the blind. Since the crea-
tion of the commission the federation has not been very active, but it
still exists in case it is needed to help out some other movement in
behalf of the blind. President, Charles J. Himmelsbach; Secretary,
C. A. Hamilton, School for the Blind, Batavia, N. Y.
Central Council of Workers far the Blind, New York City. This
organization is endeavoring to become a clearing house for work for
the blind in New York City. President, Charles Bishop Hayes.
New York Blind Aid Association, 442 W. 35th St., New York.
Photo from the New York Association for the Blind.
The Bourne Workshop for Blind Men is typical of the buildings in many states devoted to
the industrial training and employment of the blind.
72 INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND
Meets at University Settlement. Is an incorporated relief organiza-
tion for blind members, with slated benefits.
Council of Jewish Women, New York Section. A sub-committee
o!' this Council lias taken an active interest in the needs of the Jewish
blind since lf)06. The Committee provides relief for the indigent
Jewish hlind of New York City. The National Council of Jewish
Women lias frequently sent recommendations to the various sections
of this organization throughout the country, and in many cities the
members of the Council have done effective work in behalf of l he
blind in their own locality. President of Section, .Miss Sadie American.
Blind Haiti* s' Mothers' Association, 66 Broadway, New York City.
The object of this Association is to unite, in local groups and eventually
in national conference, the parents and relatives of blind children,
for the betterment of home conditions surrounding the blind; to
bring into closer touch the parents and teachers of blind children;
to send helpful and instructive literature to parents of the blind in
rural communities, and to afford a medium of exchange of ideas
among those so scattered; to distribute instructive pamphlets written
by eminent specialists on the proper home care of the eyes of young
children as a preventive measure and as a first step toward restoration
of lost sight : to encourage parents to instil into the minds of their
blind children, in their early childhood, a spirit of independence and
helpfulness, looking toward useful citizenship. Financial Secretary,
F. H. Jerome.
The Brooklyn and Queens Blind Welfare Society, 3 South Elliott
Place. Brooklyn. Established, 1913. An organization primarily of
blind people, formed chiefly to foster legislation or any other activ-
ity for the benefit of the blind. The Society meets monthly. Presi-
dent, Edward T\ r son, 291 Nostrand Ave., Brooklyn.
The Manhattan and Bronx Blind Peoples' League. The primary
purpose of this organization was to secure the passage of a bill creat-
ing a State Commission for the Blind. The Association is supported
by voluntary contributions and holds monthly meetings from Septem-
ber to June. Secretary. Emily Heil, 379 E 158th St.
Mispah Circle, 516 Gates Ave., Brooklyn. This Association was
instituted in 1886, its chief purpose being to secure the establishment
of an industrial home for the adult blind, which was later accom-
plished. The Circle now devotes its interest to helping individual
blind people. Secretary. Mary Braun, 561 Argyle Road, Brooklyn.
City Honit, Blackwell's Island. Maintained by the city for indi-
gent blind men and women. Application is made to the Department
of Charities, Bureau of Dependent Adults. The State Charities Aid
74 INSTITUTIONS FOR THE BLIND
Association has sent a teacher to the blind inmates of the City Home
for a number of years. The New York Public Library has for many
years sent a teacher for instruction in reading. The New York Asso-
ciation for the Blind has, since its organization, sent a teacher weekly
to many of the women in the ward for the blind for instruction in
knitting, crocheting and sewing. Monthly entertainments ■ are held
for both men and women at which tobacco and candy are distributed.
Home for the Relief of the Destitute Blind, 104th St. and Amster-
dam Ave., New York. Founded, 1868. Capacity, about 50 men and
50 women. Supported by annual subscriptions and by income from a
small endowment. New buildings for the Home are in process of
construction. Applicants are admitted from New York City and
vicinity. The women occupy themselves with sewing, knitting, and
crocheting, and the men re-seat chairs and re-make mattresses. None
of the industries is carried on, however, with the idea of furnishing
an income for the institution, and they are not obligatory; the in-
mates choose their own occupations. Matron, Mrs. Margaret J.
Home for the Blind, 550 Washington Avenue, Brooklyn. (The
Church Charity Foundation of Long Island.) This home was begun
as ajjrivate undertaking in 1895, at Maspeth, L. I. However, failing
of support under its first conditions, an appeal was made to be re-
ceived into the Church Charity Foundation of Long Island. This was
granted, and in October, 1896, it became one of the institutions of the
Foundation, and in May, 1900, was removed to its present location.
It is intended as a home for Christian women of the Episcopal Dio-
cese of Long Island who, owing to blindness and inability of near