Charles Nutt.

History of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) online

. (page 10 of 63)
Online LibraryCharles NuttHistory of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) → online text (page 10 of 63)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Corps, Albany Burgesses Corps, United Train of Artillery. Providence; Second Corps
of Cadets, Salem; First Light Infantry of Providence; Putnam Phalan.x, Hartford;
Amoskeag X'eterans, Manchester; both first and second companies of Governor's Foot
Guard, Hartford and New Haven; Xewburyport Veteran Artillery Company, Boston
Light Infantry .Association, Fusileer \'eteran .-Association, as organizations, and on
many occasions have had as honored guests delegations from these and other kindred
associations.

Two Hundredth Anniversary. — One of the most notable occurrences in Worcester
in which the Continentals took a prominent part, was at the time of the celebration of
the two hundredth anniversary of the naming of the town of Worcester, on October 14
and 15, 1884.

On this occasion the Continentals had as special guests the full command of First
Company, Governor's Foot Guard of Hartford, with Colt's famous band, some over
125 men and band, and the corps was accorded the distinguished honor of having the
right of the line of parade as escort to the chief marshal. General Josiah Pickett.

Other notable occasions when the corps has rendered distinguished service at
home have been the escort to President Rutherford B. Hayes, Aug. 23. 1877; escort to
Governor Alexander H. Rice, Sept. 5. 1878, and escort to General William T. Sher-
man, Sept. 5, 1881.

In April, 1904, the Continentals were honored by the presence as a guest of General
Nelson A. Miles, then in command of the United States army, and on April 19, 1905,
they received and entertained Rear-.Admiral Lamberton of the United States navy. The
following year, on April 19. 1906. the corps had as special guests. Rcar-.Admiral Cogh-
lan of the navy, His Excellency, Governor Curtis Guild, and Hon, William Wyndham,
British consul at Boston.

Dedication of Tablet. — One of the notable achievements of the Continentals and
which will remain as a lasting memorial 01 the corps, was the erection of a handsome
bronze tablet, marking the spot where General George Washington stopped for rest
and refreshment during his passage through Worcester on his trip from Philadelphia
to Cambridge, July i, 1775.

This tablet rests upon the outer walls of what is now Poli's theatre on Elm street,
and is the site of what was in revolutionary times the spot on which the famous



AND ITS PEOPLE 651

Stearns' tavern was conducted. The place is belter known as the site of the old Lin-
coln house.

The tablet is in plain view of passers by and has been commented on by authorities
on such work as one of the best designed and wrought tablets ever erected. The tablet
was placed by the Continentals April ig, 1915.

The list of organizations with whom there has been an interchange of courtesies
serves to show the widespread acquaintance enjoyed by the Continentals as an organi-
zation and the high regard entertained for its membership in the ranks of kindred as-
sociations throughout the country.

The commanders of the Continentals, past and present, have been as follows:
Lieut. Col. William S. B. Hopkins, 1876-1886 and 1889-1891. Lieut. Col. Edward J.
Russell, 1886. Lieut. Col. Henry E. Smith, 1886-1889. Lieut. Col. Aaron S. Taft, 1891-
1892. Lieut. Col. Nathan Taylor, 1893. Lieut. Col. William A. Gile, 1894-1898. Lieut.
Col. Phineas L. Rider, 1899-1900. Lieut. Col. Rufus B. Dodge, 1901-1904. Lieut-Col.
George H. Harlow, 1905-1906. Lieut. Col. William A. Lytle, 1907-1910. Lieut. Col.
Charles S. Holden, 191 1. Lieut. Col. J. Edmund Thompson, 1912-1913. Lieut. Col.
Frank L. Coes, 1914.

-Annual parades have been held either at home or in places visited by the corps,
and whether as guests to visitors from abroad or being entertained by other military
bodies, the Worcester Continentals have borne themselves in a manner to reflect credit
upon themselves and the city of Worcester.

It has been the custom of the corps to fittingly celebrate such days as Washington's
birthday, Feb. 22. Patriots' Day, April 19, Bunker Hill Day, June 17, and Independence
Day, July 4th, by parades, open house during the noonday or by exercises in the even-
ing, and on more than one occasion such observances have been participated in by high
public officials and the public generally. At such times the hospitality of the corps has
been unbounded.

In an historical sketch of the Continentals written by Adjt. Herbert
Adams and published in the Worcester Evening Gazette, March 29,
1916, he gives special credit to the founder, to Lt. Col. George H. Har-
low, to whom "more than to any other inember is credit due for a longer
period of untiring, loyal service as clerk and commander than any other
member, joining in 1876 and remaining a inember until he died; and to
Lt. Col. Hopkins, who was longest in command." For an account of
Lt. Col. Coes and most of the other commanders, see the biographical
section.



I



CHAPTER XXXVII

European War — The First Worcester Soldiers in France — Training
School — Financial Contributions in 1917-18 — Volunteers

The Worcester Military Training School. — In preparation for the
war that seemed inevitable in 1915, a Worcester Military Training School
was formed in the winter of 1915-lG, and three companies numbering
from 60 to 100 each were drilled by officers volunteering for the purposes
— Major Warren, Captains Foley, Weeden, Burr, Herbert and others;
Lieuts. H. W. Robbins, J. \N. O'Connor, H. R. Hoyle, A. P. Trombly, A.

F. Murray, H. L. Searles, G. A. Corbin, John A. Jones. (For roster, see
Wor. Mag. 1916, p. 55). Many of the leading business and professional
men belonged to these companies.

Officers Trained at Plattsburg. — The following officers trained at
Plattsburg, N. Y., received commissions dated August 10, 191T:

.. Captains of Infantry.— Second company— James E. Higgins of Worcester, Charles

G. Bovvker of Worcester, and Sherman O. Haight of Worcester, all in the infantry
section, officers' reserve corps. Third company— Robert E. Nugent of Worcester, in
the infantry section, officers' reserve corps. Fifth company— Norman Harrower of
Worcester, in the infantry section, officers' reserve corps. Sixth company— Leslie C.
^^'ells of Worcester, infantry, in the new national army.

Captains of Cavalry— First troop— Lawrence Ewing of Worcester, in the cavalry
section, officers' reserve corps.

Captains of Field Artillery.— First battery— Marvin C. Taylor of Worcester, in the
field artillery section, officers' reserve corps.

First Lieutenants of Infantry. — Second company — Haskell Williams of Worcester,
in the infantry section, officers' reserve corps. Fifth company— Daniel W. Lincoln of
Worcester, in the infantry section, officers' reserve corps.

First Lieutenants of Field Artillery.— Third battery— Horace Wyman of Worces-
ter, in the field artillery section, officers' reserve corps.

First Lieutenants of Ordnance Department. — Ordnance Department — Herbert K.
Cummings of Worcester, in the ordnance department, national army.

Second Lieutenants of Infantry. — First company— Sylva C. Lachapelle of Worces-
ter, in the infantry section, officers' reserve corps. Second company — Walter H. But-
ler of Worcester, in the new national army. Third company — Thomas J. Sinnott of
Worcester and Harold M. Paine, of Worcester, in the infantry section, offi-
cers' reserve corps. Fourth company — Samuel W. Fernberger of Worces-
ter, and Roland M. Cook of Worcester, all in the infantry section, officers' reserve
corps. Fifth company — Thornton R. Stenberg of Worcester, in the infantry section,
officers' reserve corps. Sixth company— Sergt. Robert W. Love, Co. G, Ninth Massa-
chusetts Regiment, of Worcester, in the infantry section, officers' reserve corps. Eighth
company — Frederick E. Bond of Worcester and Councilman Philip D. Wesson of
Worcester, in the infantry section, officers' reserve corps, George C. Phipps of Wor-
cester, in the new national army.

Second Lieutenants of Cavalry. — First troop — Richard H. Mooney, of Worcester,
in the cavalry section, officers' reserve corps.



654 HISTORY OF WORCESTER

Second Lieutenants of Field Artillery. — First battery — Philip F. Coe of Worces-
ter, Lincoln H. Dean of Worcester, in the new field artillery section, officers' reserve
corps. Second battery — Miles S. Perkins of Worcester, in the field artillery section,
officers' reserve corps. Third battery — Richard K. Hutchins of Worcester, in the field
artillery section officers' reserve corps.

Second Lieutenants of Quartermaster's Corps. — Florence A. Donohue of Worces-
ter in the quartermaster's corps, new national army.

Second Lieutenants of Adjutant General's Dept. — Arthur G. Giroux of Worcester,
in the statistical section, adjutant general's department, national army.

For the regular army. — Louis S. Stickney of Worcester, in the infantry section,
officers' reserve corps. Rich.\rds.

Nineteenth Regiment. — Following is the complete list of field and
staff officers of the l!)th regiment, Massachusetts State Guard, of which
the three Worcester companies are a part :

Colonel, Harry C. Young, Worcester ; lieutenant- colonel, Lewis M. McCallum,
Worcester; major. First Battalion, Delevan R. Nichols, Worcester; major, Second Bat-
talion, Frank V. Gilson, Fitchburg; major. Third Battalion, Samuel H. Tuttle, Con-
cord; captain, adjutant, Herbert L. Adams, Worcester; captain, supply officer, .\rthur
A. Brigham, Worcester; captain, chaplain, Rev. Henry Stiles Bradley, D. D., Worces-
ter; major, chief medical officer. Dr. Curtis H. Jennings, Fitchburg; captain, medical
officer. Dr. Charles A. Sparrow, Worcester; captain, medical officer. Dr. Roy J. Ward,
Worcester ; lieutenant, medical officer. Dr. O. V. Wells, Westf ord ; lieutenant, battalion
adjutant, First Battalion, Clarence F. Potter, Worcester; lieutenant, battalion adjutant.
Second Battalion, Claude D. Beadle, Leominster.

Headquarters Company — Sergeant-major, regimental, Ralph H. Whitney, Wor-
cester; sergeant-major. First Battalion. W. H. Fletcher, Worcester; Sergeant-major,
Second Battalion, Russell Lowe. Fitchburg ; color sergeant, U. S. Colors, E. Walter
Smith. Worcester ; first sergeant. George F. Chambers, Worcester ; supply sergeant,
Paul D. Howard, Clinton ; corporal, Fred L. Haven, Worcester.

Supply Company — Lieutenant, Otis C. White, Worcester; supply sergeant, Edward
J. Martin, Worcester; first sergeant,' Henry E. Morse, Worcester.

In the year 1917 there were 1841 volunteers in the army at the
recruiting station in this city.

Financial Record of 1917. — Worcester people have contributed, since
the war began in Europe, through all agencies and channels, up to the
present day, $35,692,530. This is a per capita contribution of $219.33
based on the state census of 1915, which gave Worcester a poinilation
of 163,697 and a per capita contribution of $190.37 based on the jiresent
municipal water census for this year, which gave Worcester's population
as 187,492.

Naturall} the Inilk of this vast sum is represented in subscrip-
tions to the two Liberty Loan issues, which total $34,297,900, showing
that $1,394,630 was otherwise contributed by the W'orcester public
through war relief funds for various sufTerers abroad, including the Bel-
gian, Armenian, Syrian, Serbian, Jewish, French and English, and the
special war funds of the Red Cross and agencies working for the Ameri-
can soldiers.



AND ITS PEOPLE 655

Previous to the entry of the United States into the war that Aiiril,
the people of Worcester, through the several war relief funds raised for
war sufferers in Europe, had given approximately $205,106. Of course
the great outpouring of wealtli came when America became ranged
against German autocracy, and the achievements since then have been
magnificent in the giving of money.

The Red Cross membership fund made this city a Red Cross strung-
hnld with over 60,000 members. The Second Liberty Loan put the city
into the highest class of municipalities of less than 200,000. The V. AL
C. A. war fund campaign was carried to triumph in this city with a swift-
ness and generosity that stands out from the common run. The Y. W.
C. A. campaign was most unique of all, for the gifts in cash of those inter-
ested exceeded the city's quota a week before the date for the campaign
to start.

Exactly 21 different channels of giving have received the unreserved
support of \\'orcester people since the war began. And this immense
wave of war giving follow-ed right on the heels of a period of less than
three years in which Worcester lavishly upheld other public causes,
including the fund for the building of the new- Boys' Club house, the big
Y. AL C. A. new building fund, the clearing off of the mortgage on the
G. A. R. memorial hall and the raising of funds for the Girls' Club.

The complete list of war contribution through channels of all sorts
and the total in round numbers which Worcester has given through
each in 181T is as follows:

First Liberty Loan $11,543,600 Belgian Relief fund 6,500

Second Liberty Loan 22,754,300 K. of C. members' contribu-

Red Cross, special war fund tion to K. of C. war fund. . . 5,ooo

membership campaign and Serbian Relief fund 3,500

Christmas gift fund 750,000 French and Belgian Children's

Y. M. C. A. war fund 390,000 fund 2,857

Armenian and Syrian relief. Children of America fund,

raised in city at large and amount contributed by Wor-

among Armenian residents. "6,736 cester public school children. 2,046

Jewish sufferers fund 50,000 Guardian Children's fund (in

American Fund for French bo.x fund) 1,203

wounded 34,800 Evening Post Tobacco fund. 1,000

Worcester branch, Surgical Salvation Army War Relief

Dressings Committee 21,535 fund 500

Y. W. C. A. Hostess Houses

fund 16,950 Total $35,692,530

Prince of Wales fund, amount .\mount given outside Liberty Loans,

sent to England 10,000 $1,394,630.

Soldiers' Library fund 8,300 Per capita contribution, $219,338, based

Clark College .■\nibulance unit 7,000 on state census; $190,373, based on mu-

Soldiers' War Relief fund 6,736 nicipal water census.

Battery E, 101st Field Artillery, U. S. A.— Battery E, the new Wor-
cester coiumand of the Massachusetts Field Artillery, now of the 101st,



656



HISTORY OF WORCESTER



was the first unit of the 2nd battalion to be organized, following the
orders for the formation of various batteries throughout the state. Under
the direction of Capt. John F. J. Herbert of Battery B and Capt. Arthur
P. Trombley of the new command, Battery E was organized in seven
days to a peace strength of 126 men. Later came the orders to recruit
to a war footing and within five days the battery had a roster of IHO, the
first command of the battalion to reach a war strength.

The battery was organized on May 12 witK Capt. Trombley as com-
mander. He was a member of Battery B for 18 years and 7 mbnths. He
was appointed a corporal in 1900, a sergeant in 1904, a second
lieutenant in 1907, and a first lieutenant in 1915. Romeo A. Gravel,
who was elected senior first lieutenant, served eight years in Bat-
tery B., having been appointed a corporal in 1911, a sergeant in 1912
and first sergeant in 1916. John D. Power, the other first lieu-
tenant, was a member of Battery B for a year and on July 1, 1916,
was named a corporal. On May 2 of this year, he was appointed a ser-
geant. Andrew W. Thompson, the senior 2nd lieutenant was a member
of Battery B for seven years. He was appointed a corporal in 1912 and
a sergeant in 1914. Winslow S. Lincoln, the other 2nd lieutenant, was a
member of Battery B for a year and was named a corporal on April 25.
Following is a complete roster of the new battery :

Capt. Arthur P. Trombley, First Lieut. Romeo A. Gravel, First Liept. John D.
Power, Second Lieut. Andrew W. Thompson, Second Lieut. Winslow S. Lincoln, First
Sergt. S. Fruendenthal, Supply Sergt. Fred J. Fitzgerald, Privates Alvin L. Abbott, Al-
fred R. Allen, Harold G. Allen, Edw. Roy Anderson, James H. Anderson, Albert I.
Arnold, N'ahnore Barbeau. Harold W. Beams. .■Mfred E. Belanger, Philip L. Belisle,
A. J. Beauregard, George L. Benoit, Ray C. Bezanson, Peter Bimeau, Henry E. Bol-
duc, Arthur H. Boyle, Fred J. Bogle, William J. Brick, Arthur J. Brigham, Charles H.
Brisson, Daniel Brocklebank, Arthur Broadbent, John J. Bresnihan, Arthur W. Brown,
Everett W. Brown, Robert ^L Brown, James S. Brown, W. E. Brown, Jr., S. P. Bruin-
soma, William J. Buckley, Harold R. Burbank, John H. Buckley.

Lean J. Caisse, William L. Carpenetr, Charles H. Carroll, William E. Carroll, How-
ard F. Carson. E. J. Champigny, William H. Clark, H. J. Collette, John P. Connor,
Henry A. Conitois, Raymond A. Copp, Ralph L. Coskey, Ralph A. Corey, Wilfred E.
Cote, James Crother.

Alfred J. Demers, Joseph R. Donnais, Harry E. Dow, John J. Dresser, Peter F.
Durkin, E. E. Dursthoff.

Theo. R. Edson, Harry Evans.

Xils Frostholm, H. J. Fenncr, Edw. R. Fcnner. S. K. Firmin, J. J. Fitzgerald, R. J.
Fontaine, Albert J. Fortier, Albert J. Fortin, Alex J. Eraser, Charles G. French, Thom-
as F. Furcy.

Joseph F. Gaudette, Harris A. Geroux, George R. Giddings, William E. Gilinsky,
Winslow H. Goflf, Luther F. Grout, Francis W. Gully, Fredercik Grove.

M. W. Hasseltine, Clio G. Haywood, Enos A. Harpell, Sandy L. Harpell, Ector
Heon, Fred H. Hinckley, William J. Horgan, Edw. A. Houghton, James H. Houghton.

Frank E. Ingraham, James E. Irwin.

Arvid Johnson, George A. Johnson.

George J. Keating, John J. Kennedy, William J. Kentile, Walter F. Knox.



AND ITS PEOPLE 657



I



Alex J. Labossierc, Henry J. LaDuke, Leo J. LaFrance, Herman E. Langson, Ern-
est J. Lalonc, Jerry S. Laporte, Ernest E. LaEranche, Harold C. Lamb, Harold E. Law-
rence, William C. Lavalle, Gordon L. Leary, George A. LeClair, George F. Levsque,
Carl A. Lygdman, Paul H, Lundborg, Joseph Lynch, George J. Legasey, Carl J. Lind-
berg, Earle E. Lovejoy.

Joseph R. Madden, Joseph J. Malone, Ray G. Mansfield, Frederick L. Mayo, Nel-
son E. J^Iayo, Floyd D. McCutchen, James P. McDonnell, Edw. W. McGec, Samuel D.
McGill, James E. McXamara, Philip L. Millay. Robert E. Miller, Roland C. Millett,
Charles E. Miles, Charles Minncym, Clarence R. Mitchell, Michael F. Moore, John G.
Moylan, Frederick W. Munch, William P. Murphy.

Leon E. Newton, Frederick W^ Nystrom.

Walter N. Obershaw, George F. Oster.

Ernest L. Paranto, Henry J. Perry, Willis C. Perry, Gottried P. Person, William
H. Pettis, William W. Phelps, Charles M. Phillips, Frank Pickering, Irwin G. Pilet,
Omer Potvin, John J. Power. Arthur W. Price. Theo. F. X. Proulx, Charles L. Pru-
neau, Frederick J. Putnam.

Walter Adams Rand, Samuel E. Rambo, Wallace H. Redstone, Edward J. Rich-
ards, Carl W. Ringquist, Rosario E. Rochitte, Evald C. Rosene.

Mesrop Saragian, Leon A. Sargent, Guy Leander Seeley, Nathan Shatsoff, Ralph
W. Sibley, Cecil E. Simpson, George N. Snow, Samuel S. Spencer, Charles B. Stevens,
Harold A. Stevens, Frederick E. Stoddard, John E. Strandberg.

Charles F. Terrill, Wayne A. Thompson, William J. Thompson, Eric A. Thoreen,
Chetwood F. Treen, Harold L. Tyler.

Charles AL Valley, John W. Vandenberg.

iL-ithew J. Walsh, David J. Walsh, Thomas E. Watson, Frank K. Way. Arthur H.
Whitehead. George H. Whittaker, Frank Whitworth, Samuel Wentworth, Norman
Wills, \\'illiam E. R. Witson, Clarence D. Wood, Harold S. Wood. Edward B. Writer.

Frank Zinkieweiz.

Physicians in the Service. — The following (revised May 1, 1918),
list includes not only the doctors in service in training camps in France,
but those physicians who are examining for the local and advisory
boards. The Worcester district doctors in service are :

U. S. Army — Medical Officers' Reserve Corps, (a) on active duty: Dr. Howard
Beal, Dr. Edward B. Bigelow, Dr. Frank W. George, Dr. Roger Kinnicutt, Dr. E. B.
Simmons, Dr. Wm. E. Denning, Dr. Willard Lemaire, Dr. James J. Goodwin of Clin-
ton, Dr. Chester C. Beckley of Lancaster, Dr. Roger Scofield, Dr. Merrick Lincoln. Dr.
George C. Lincoln, Dr. E. F. Phelan of North Brookfield, Dr. R. S. Newton of West-
boro, Dr. Wm. J. Fay, Dr. A. K. Yoosuf, Dr. James V. May (honorably discharged).
Dr. Samuel C. Gwynne, Dr. Harry P. Cahill, Dr. Israel Laurier, Dr. Donald GilfiUan,
Dr. D. F. O'Connor, Dr. Homer Gage, Dr. D. A. Thom, Dr. Kendall Emerson, Dr.
Frank E. Harriman, Dr. Elisha S. Lewis of Princeton, Dr. J. W. Ledbury of Uxbridge,
Dr. W. A. Maclntire, Dr. Frank T. Oberg. Dr. H. L. Simmons, Dr. Willard P. Staple-
ton, Dr. George Watt.

Commissioned but not yet called to active duty— Dr. George T. Little, Uxbridge,
Dr. Charles Salmon, Dr. David Bridgewood, Dr. Gordon Berry.

Staff officer 104th Infantry — Dr. Joseph O'Connor.

U. S. navy — Dr. Gilbert Haigh, Dr. Linwood Johnson, Dr. Thomas Courtney, Dr.
Joseph L. Lannois, Northboro, Dr. Winthrop Adams.

Massachusetts state guard— Dr. Peter O. Shea, Dr. L. F. Woodward, Dr. C. A.

W.— 1-42.



658 HISTORY Of IV ORG ESTER

Sparrow, Dr. Roy J. Ward, Ur. Frank L. Magtme. Dr. George F. H. Bowers. Dr. Edw.
H. Mackay, Clinton.

Knglish army (Harvard unit) — Dr. Kendall Emerson, now in U. S. army, Dr.
Oliver Stansficld, Dr. Stanley Bridges, Dr. George Watt, now in U. S. army.

English hospitals — Dr. Albert O. Raymond, Dr. William H. MacKay.

U. S. selection service (a) local boards — Dr. James C. Austin, Spencer, Dr. Edw.
W. Balmer, Whitinsville, Dr. J. Arthur Barnes. Dr. Frederick Bryant, Dr. John F.
Harkins, Dr. Ernest L. Hnnt, Dr. William W. McKibben. Dr. A. J. McCrea, South-
bridge, Dr. George L. Tobey, Clinton.

(b) medical advisory board :

District 15 A— Dr. F. H. Baker, chairman. Dr. B. T. Burley, secretary. Dr. C. D.
Wheeler. Dr. David Harrower, Dr. Philip H. Cook, Dr. William J. Delehanty.

District 15-B— Dr. R. P. Watkins, chairman. Dr. Philip H. Cook, secretary. Dr.
Lester C. Miller, Dr. C. A. Church, Millbury, Dr. C. T. Estabrook, Dr. B. H. Mason.

District 16— Dr. C. L. French, Clinton, chairman. Dr. Irene M. Morse, Clinton,
secretary, Dr. E. V. Scribner, Dr. J. Barton, Fitchburg, Dr. Charles R. Abbott, Clinton.

Additional examining physicians— local boards : Dr. L. P. Leland, Dr. R. Wil-
liams, Dr. Henry Hartnett. Dr. George F. O'Day, Dr. M. B. Fox, Dr. R. J. Shannahan,
Dr. George T. Little. Uxbridge. Dr. George E. Emery, Dr. R. J. Ward, Dr. John E.
Rice, Dr. F. H. Washbuni, Dr. Edward Cooper, Dr. Henry L. McCluskey, Dr. T. C.
McSheehy, Dr. George A. Powder, Dr. William Dolan. Dr. George C. Brown, Dr. J. T.
Kennedy, Dr. J. W. McDonald, Dr. E. C. Rochette, Dr. J. W. Cahill, Dr. Charles Crois-
sant, Dr. Alfred A. Wheeler, Leominster, Dr. G. L. Chase, Clinton, Dr. W. E. Currier,
Leominster, Dr. T. .A. Shaughnessy, Leominster, Dr. Charles Brigham, Leominster, Dr.
Merton L. Griswold. Uxbridge, Dr. John A. Moynahan, Clinton, Dr. E. H. Mackay,
Clinton.

(b) To advisory boards— Dr. Arthur W. Marsh, Dr. George H. Hill, Dr. War-
ren R. Gilman, Dr. C. A. Sparrow, Dr. Albert E. Cross, Dr. Albert C. Getchell.
.American ambulance in Paris — Dr. W, Irving Clark.

Fifty Millions for the War, — Worcester's war contributions have
actually gone well over the $')(),()00,000 mark in less than a year.

It seems that while the three Liberty J^oans have aggregated $t3,-
323,100, which, with the previous loan of $1,500,000 carries the total to
$44,822,100, the banks alone have recently taken certificates in indebted-
ness amounting to $T, 500,000. Add this to $44,822,100 and you have
the grand total, of $52,322,100.

Should Worcester's subscriptions to the Third Liberty Loan go to
$10,000,000, as is confidently expected they may, then the grand total of
Worcester's war work and aid to the government will be boosted to
$53,2!)7,t)00.

Worcester had contributed before May ", liUS, to the combined
Liberty Loans, first, second and third issues, $43,322,100. For the first
issue, Worcester's allotment was $!), 600,000, and the subscription was
$11,543,000.

For the Second Lilierty Loan, Worcester's minimum allotnuiU was
$13,000,000 and the total of all subscriptions, $22,: 54,300.

The publicity feature of the campaign was in the hands of \\ illiam
RadclilTe, the executive secretarv of the Worcester branch of the .\meri-



AND ITS PEOPLE 659

can Red Cross. Excellent work was achieved by the Boy Scouts ; AI-
hambra Council, Knights of Columbus, and other organizations.

Splendid work has been achieved by the Worcester employees of the
American Steel & Wire Co. in the amount of subscriptions to the Third
Liberty Loan. The final report in the three Worcester plants of the



Online LibraryCharles NuttHistory of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) → online text (page 10 of 63)