Charles Nutt.

History of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) online

. (page 31 of 63)
Online LibraryCharles NuttHistory of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) → online text (page 31 of 63)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


C. Putnam. He was succeeded by Rev. Henry Blackaller. At that time
Thomas Bottomly and Chas. S. Ellis were wardens. Rev. Geo. T. Chap-
man, D. D., came at Easter in 1844, and worked zealously for two years.
He was succeeded by Rev. Geo. H. Clark, the first settled rector. He
resigned in January, 1849, on account of ill health. His successor, Rev.



8S2 HISTORY OF WORCESTER

Nath. T. Bent, remained until the spring of 1852. During the next four
years Rev. Archibald M. Morrison was rector. For three years the
church was without a rector, Revs. William H. Brooks and Albert C.
Patterson having charge. Rev. E. W. Hager became rector in Decem-
ber, 1859, and resigned in August, 1862.

The ministry of Rev. William R. Huntington, beginning Dec. 3,
1862, when he was ordained here, and lasting twenty-one years, was a
period of great growth and development, Nov. 26, 1883, Dr. Hunting-
ton resigned to become rector of Grace Church, New York. After a
period during which Rev. Lawrence H. Schwab was in charge. Rev. Alex.
H. Vinton was chosen rector, April 11, 1884, and began his duties Sep-
tember 1st. He resigned Feb. 25, 1902, and became Bishop of Western
Massachustets. He was succeeded Jan. 1, 1903, by Rev. Thos. F. Da-
vies, who resigned Oct. 15, 1911, to succeed Bishop Vinton. Since Oct.
16, 1912, Rev. Lewis G. Morris has been rector. Revs. Chas. L. Short,
Frederic C. Lauderburn, and Donald K. Johnston have been assistant
ministers or curates since 1893, for various periods. Rev. Richard A.
KirchhofFer has been curate since 1916.

The first church was on Pearl street, erected in 1846. In 1860 it
was enlarged, and during twenty-eight years three times received altera-
tions. It was destroyed by fire, April 7, 1874. A building committee
was appointed May 15, and ground was broken on a lot at the corner
of Irving and Pleasant streets Dec. 29, 1874. The cornerstone was laid
July 21, 1875, and the building consecrated Jan. 4, 1877, by Bishop
Paddock. This church has held its place among the most beautiful
and artistic structures of the city. The material is red sandstone. Ste-
phen C. Earle was the architect. The builders were Norcross Bros.
Embedded in the walls are stone relics of mediaeval period presented by
the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral of Worcester, England. The
church building contains a chapel and a parish library.

In 1916 a parish house was erected upon land adjoining the church
on Irving street. This building is of brick, designed by Cram & Fergu-
son. Early English in character, and connects with the main building.
Offering as it does every facility for the activities of a growing parish
this recent acquisition realizes the cherished hope of a generation of
worshippers at All Saints.

The Wednesday Club of .\11 Saints Parish had its origin March 8,

1876, at an informal meeting of ten young women, and was known at
first as the L. B. Club, the name Wednesday Club being adopted in

1877. The objects are mutual improvement and to advance missionary
and charitable work. At a fair in 1876 the club made $500, and the
money was contributed for the middle window in the chancel. For
many years the club trimmed the church for various festivals. The tenth
anniversary was observed, the club history (1876-86) published, and a
crayon portrait of Dr. Huntington given the parish at that time.



AND ITS PEOPLE 853



In 1890-91 the club rented and furnished a house, 36 Irving street;
in 1891 rooms were opened at 15 Irving street, and maintained there until
1896. The twentieth anniversary was celebrated with elaborate exer-
cises, an account of which is given in a pamphlet published at that time.
A memorial window was given to mark the occasion, known as the
"Ruth" window. The club in later years has raised money for the par-
ish house fund; $380 for the renovation of the library; $565 for the
repairs in the church and parish building; $700 raised by honorary mem-
bers for similar purposes; contributions to various local organizations
such as the Boys Club, Associated Charities, Day Nursery Employment
Society.

The following have been presidents: Corinne L. Nichols, 1876-7;
Agnes Clary, 1877-8 ; 1880-81 ; Isabel F. Hapgood, 1878-9 ; Emily Chase
(Mrs. J. Russel Marble), 1879-80; Annie M. Lincoln, 1881-2; 1885-6;
Sarah B. Hopkins, 1882-3; 1895-6; Grace Whiting (Mrs. G. F. Myers),
1883-4; L. Stella Whitcomb (Mrs. J. F. Browning), 188-1-5; Camilla G.
Whitcomb, 1886-7; 1892-3; 1900-01; Elizabeth S. Howe (Mrs. S. H.
Colton), 1887-8; 1890-91; Sarah J. Hill (Mrs. W. M. Lancaster), 1889-
90; Elizabeth P. Hopkins (Mrs. A. L. Aiken), 1891-2; Lilian A.
Mathews, 1893-4; Mary Louisa Trumbull Cogswell (Mrs. E. M. Rob-
erts), 1894-5; Georgiana L. Stone (Mrs. James E. Ives), 1896-7; Edith
Almy Barton (Mrs. Edgar M. Atkin), 1897-8; Grace Bliven, 1898-9;
Ada Drenna (Mrs. Frederick G. Dews), 1899-1900; Anne W. Lovell,
1901-02; Florence L. Cobb, 1902-03; Elizabeth H. Pratt (Mrs. E. Irving
Clark), 1903-04; Helen C. Marble, 1904-5; Rosaline Brand (Mrs. Suth-
erland), 1905-6; Georgiana H. Boyd, 1906-7; Margaret Lovell, 1907-8;
Mrs. Kendall Emerson, 1908-10; Mary C. Kessell, 1910-12; Mrs. S. H.
Colton, 1912 — .

St. John's Church. — Dr. Huntington's idea of forming four missions
in the city, naming them from the first four Evangelists and developing
four churches has been realized. St. John's was the second. A Sunday
school was established March 11, 1883, in an upper room in a building on
Lincoln Square. The first services there were conducted by Rev. Henry
Hague, of St. Matthew's, Jan. 6, 1884 ; and the first regular Sunday ser-
vices were begun March 9, following. Rev. John S. Bens, general mis-
sionary of the diocese. At the same time Rev. Edward S. Cross began
missionary work, and took formal charge April 13. Land on Lincoln
street for a church was bought April 21, and ground was broken May
13. The cornerstone was laid July 5. Stephen C. Earle was the archi-
tect. Public worship in the new church was held for the first time on
Christmas Day. For a time the free church system was tried, but was
soon abandoned. In 1887 it was necessary to enlarge the church, increas-
ing the sittings to 308. The parish was organized Sept. 18, 1884.

Mr. Cross preached his farewell sermon Oct. 19, 1884, and was suc-
ceeded as rector by Rev. Francis C. Burgess, Nov. 30 that year. Rev.



854



HISTORY OF WORCESTER




ST. MATTHEW'S.



AND ITS PEOPLE 855

Eliot White succeeded Mr. Burgess in 1897, resigning in 1907. Since
then Rev. Walton S. Danker has been rector.

St. Matthew's Church. — A mission chapel fund of $721.21, raised
at a Christmas sale by the women of All Saint's Church in 1869, was
the beginning of the foundation of St. Matthew's Church. Added con-
tributions allowed the purchase of a lot at the corner of Southbridge
and Washburn streets, in South Worcester; an association was formed
by twelve prominent members of All Saints for the management of the
mission and to act as trustees. In the summer of 1871 the chapel was
erected under the supervision of Rev. Dr. W. R. Huntington, by Orlando
W. Norcross, and it was dedicated Sept. 21, St. Matthew's Day. The
speakers were : Dr. Huntington, Revs. Mr. Howe of Milford, Jones of
Fitchburg, and John Gregson, who took charge of the chapel as assistant
to the rector of All Saints. Rev. Thos. A. Robertson succeeded Mr. Greg-
son, Oct. 1, 1872, after an interim during which Mr. Thomas Mackay,
a student, conducted services. Mr. Robertson resigned July 1, 1873, and
Mr. Mackay again had temporary charge until Jan. 1, 1871, when his
father, Rev. Henry Mackay, of Pittsburg, Penn., became rector's assistant
in charge of the mission.

The parish was organized May 5, 1874; William Lancaster was
elected clerk. The charter members were : Henry Mackay, Henry L.
Parker, William Lancaster, Matthew J. Whittall, James Ballantyne, Sum-
ner Cummings, Sampson Austin, William R. Hamilton, Thomas Parker,
Francis Boston, Joseph Crawford, George Lancaster. The following
officers were elected : Senior Warden, Henry L. Parker. Junior War-
den, Matthew J. Whittall. Vestrymen, Sampson Austin, James L.
Ballantyne, William Lancaster, William R. Hamilton, Sumner Cum-
mings. Treasurer and Collector, M. J. Whittall. Clerk, William Lan-
caster.

Rev. Henry Mackay, the first rector, resigned July 1, 1875. Rev.
Amos Skeele succeeded him April 24, 1876, resigning in 1877. Albert
Schmidt became clerk, Oct. 29, 1877. Rev. George S. Paine had charge
of services six months. He was succeeded by Rev. Alex. Mackey Smith,
later rector of St. John's Church, Washington, D. C. Rev. George E.
Osgood, assistant at All Saints, became the rector here June 1, 1878. In
the same inonth James L. Ballai;ityne succeeded Henry L. Parker as war-
den, and in turn was succeeded April 14 by Charles Booth.

In 1880, through the generosity of the late Sumner Pratt, the debt
was removed and the property deeded to the parish. The church was
consecrated Feb. 8, 1880, by Rt. Rev. B. H. Paddock, Bishop of Massa-
chusetts, assisted by Revs. George E. Osgood, the rector, George S.
Paine and Thos. F. Fales of Waltham. At that time the church had fifty
communicants; the Sunday school an attendance of 125 persons. Henry
Gaunt was elected clerk and treasurer April 6, 1880, to succeed Mr.



856 HISTORY OF WORCESTER



Schmidt. The people of Cherry Valley joined the new church Nov. 1,
1880, and the rector ceased to be assistant minister of All Saints.

Mr. Osgood resigned Jan. 16, 1881, to become rector of Grace
Church, North Attleborough, and during the vacancy Henry L. Parker
served as lay reader. Rev. Julius H. Waterbury, called April 26, 1881,
was the next rector. He resigned in November and died on Good Fri-
day, 1882. In April, 1881, Alfred H. Booth succeeded Mr. Gaunt as
clerk and treasurer. Again Mr. Parker officiated as lay reader. Rev.
Henry Hague began his duties as rector Aug. 1, 1882. In the meantime
plans for an addition to the church had been made, land purchased at
the corner of Southbridge and Cambridge streets, and funds raised.
The building committee consisted of M. J. Whittall, James Cunningham,
J. W. Young and Alfred Thomas; Edward Snyder was the contractor.
The hall, designed for the Sunday school and parish work, was dedi-
cated in December, 1882, the speakers being Dr. Huntington, Hon. Ed-
ward L. Davis, James Cunningham and the rector. The building cost
nearly $6,000. The parish was admitted to the diocesan convention in
1883, and the delegates were Messrs. Whittall, Cunningham and Parker.
James Cunningham succeeded Charles Booth as junior warden, July
26, 1882.

Through the generosity of Air. Whittall, the rector was given an
assistant. Rev. George E. Allen, who came to his duties Good Friday,

1889, and remained thirteen months. He was ordained to the priest-
hood while here. He died in Fall River, Feb. 19, 1896.

It was decided to buy land for a new church in April, 1890, and a
building committee was appointed: Mr. Whittall, Mr. Cuningham and
Mr. Thomas. The site of the present church was acquired ; the ground
was broken July 5, 1890, for the rectory, which was completed Nov. 22,

1890, at a cost of nearly $5,000. The old church was burned on the
night of Jan. 6, 1893; the hall was removed to make way for the new
church ; the old building was sold and services held in the parish hall
temporarily. W^ork began on the new church in December, 1893; the
cornerstone was laid May 26, 1894, by Bishop Lawrence. The dedica-
tion had been set for May 23, 1896, but on May 8th Mr. and Mrs. Mat-
thew J. Whittall assumed the balance of indebtedness, $30,000, in order
that the building might be consecrated. The consecration services were
held May 22d by Bishop Lawrence, assisted by a large number of
clergymen. Mr. Hague was rector until 1914.

The present rector Rev. George S. Southworth, has served since
1914. The first superintendent of the Sunday school was Henry C.
Wadsworth. His successors have been Henry L. Parker, J. Brown Al-
den, E. J. Ryan, James Cunningham, and various rectors of the church.
The school has grown from a membership of a hundred to about 400.
A history of the church and its various organizations was prepared by
James Cunningham and published in 1896.



AND ITS PEOPLE 857

The Ladies' Parish Aid Society has been an active and useful adjunct
of the church ahnost from the beginning. St. Andrew's Brotherhood
for more than twenty-five years has held regular meetings and per-
formed useful service in the parish. In another field the Young People's
Social Society has been also helpful. The Altar Society organized in
1893, has performed its duties faithfully since then. St. Margaret's
Guild was organized in April, 1895.

St. Mark's Church. — St. Mark's probably began in the mind of the
Rev. Dr. William R. Huntington, who for many years had been rector of
All Saints. For Dr. Huntington, with characteristic mental precision and
spiritual prevision, saw All Saints Church, Worcester, surrounded by four
Episcopal churches in the four corners of the city each named for one of the
four Evangelists. And nearly three years before the first steps were taken
to organize St. Mark's, Dr. Huntington sent a money offering which had
been put in his care, to Mrs. Abbie A. Bigelow, asking her to keep it
"against the right moment for the spade to be struck into the ground
for the Mission of St. Mark." This money Mrs. Bigelow did not keep
"in a napkin." It soon went far to purchase the land on which St.
Clark's now stands.

On September 5, 188T, in the office of Attorney Henry L. Parker, an
informal meeting was held to consider starting a new Episcopal church,
and nine days later, at the residence of Orlando W. Norcross, the fol-
lowing committee was appointed : Henry L. Parker, James Cunning-
ham, Mrs. O. W. Norcross, Mrs. Abbie A. Bigelow, Chas. A. Allen,
Jos. Jackson, Chas. H. Devoe, and Reuben Colton. To this committee
Mrs. Arnold Kabley, S. Hamilton Coe and J. A. Norcross were soon
added.

The first service was held October 16, 1887, in the South Bapti.st
Church ; and, thanks to the courtesy of that society, the services of St.
Mark's Mission were held in the South Baptist Church for nearly a year.
They were led by the Rev. Thomas Nickerson until Feb. 3, 1888, when
Rev. Langdon C. Stewardson, the first rector of St. Mark's, was elected.
The Mission was organized as a parish, September 13, 1888. The first
parochial officers were: Senior warden, Henry L. Parker; junior war-
den, Lemuel A. Bishop ; vestrymen : Orlando W. Norcross, S. Hamil-
ton Coe, Louis N. Wilson, A. M. Powell, Thos. B. Cowan, James W.
Allen, Edgar E. Fay, Herbert Moulton ; treasurer, Joseph Jackson ;
clerk, Charles A. Allen.

Meanwhile the present church building, designed by Stephen C.
Earle and constructed by O. W' . Norcross, was approaching completion.
The first service in that building was held February 7, 1889. The next
day it was resolved at a parish meeting that all seats should be free. Mr.
Stewardson, the first rector, was ever a vigorous advocate of freedom :
"A free pulpit, encouraged by the congregation to speak its mind with-
out fear or favour; free pews, in which there shall be no distinction
between rich and poor; and free-will offerings." He preached a virile



HISTORY OF WORCESTER



Christianity, and had a loyal following. Later he became president of
Hobart College, Geneva, New York.

From Jan. 26 to Aug. 1, 1898, Rev. Willis H. Hazard was rector,
but Mr. Hazard soon found himself obliged to give up work on account
of an unsuspected impediment in his speech. The Rev. Henry B. Wash-
burn, of a family conspicuous in the annals of Worcester, was elected
rector on October 11, 1898. Under his able leadership the parish soon
became free from all indebtedness, and looked to larger fields by start-
ing a parochial mission in Stoneville. After nearly ten years of devoted
service Mr. Washburn resigned to accept the office which he now holds,
Professor of Ecclesiastical History in the Episcopal Theological School
at Cambridge.

The present rector, the Rev. Kinsley Blodgett, was elected Nov.
25, 1908. The parochial officers at present are: Senior warden. Prof.
Zelotes W. Coombs; junior warden, Hon. John A. Thayer; vestrymen:
S. Hamilton Coe, Wm. F. Cole, Edward L. Dunn, Harry Hodgkinson,
Lafayette B. Holt, Wm. H. Larrabee, Reginald D. Lidstone, Chas. E.
Lyon, O. W. Norcross, James H. Shattuck, Marvin M. Taylor, Geo.
W. Warren; treasurer, Joseph Jackson (who has held that office ever
since the mission was organized) ; clerk, Merrill D. Brigham.

St. Luke's Church.— The fourth of the Episcopalian churches that
Rev. Dr. Huntington planned for the four quarters of the city was estab-
lished in 1908. The church was built soon afterward, and remained in
charge of the rector of All Saints Church until 1913. Since that time,
Rev. Frederick H. Danker, whose brother is rector of St. John's, has
been the rector. The church is growing rapidly. St. Luke's Church on
Pleasant street, near Flagg street, is a gem of architecture.

Episcopal Church Club.— The origin of the club dates from a dinner,
January IT, 1888, given by vestrymen of various parishes in St. Mat-
thew's Hall, South Worcester. The formal organization came a year
later, when, by invitation of the rector, wardens and vestrymen of St.
John's Church, forty-six members of the various parishes of the city met
in St. John's Parish Hall, January 15, 1889. After supper. Rev. Francis
G. Burgess presided at the business meeting, at which by-laws were
adopted and officers elected. The membership soon increased to more
than a hundred. Dinners have been held since then in the spring, fall
and winter. From 1889 to 1899 these gatherings were in the Bay State
House. Distinguished speakers w^ere guests of the club. The later
dinners have been in the Bancroft Hotel.

Some of the principal speakers have been: Rev. P. M. Washburn,
of Northampton, May 21, 1889; A. J. C. Sowden, Oct. 15, 1889; Bishop
Dudley, Jan, 20, 1890 ; Rev. L. Shapardson, May 20, 1890 ; Gen. Schaff
and Rev. Wilberforce Newton, Oct. 21, 1890; Rt. Rev. Thos. M. Clark,
Bishop of Rhode Island, Jan. 17, 1891 ; Rev. W. R. Huntington, May 19,
1891; Prof. L. L. Conant and Rev. Percy S. Grant, Oct. 20, 1891; Rev.
Sidney Partridge of China, Jan. 19, 1892; Rt. Rev. Phillips Brooks and



AND ITS PEOPLE 859

Hon. Robt. Treat Paine, May 24, 1892; Hon. Stephen Salisbury, Hon.
S. C. Darling, and Rev. Mr. Vrooman, Oct. 11, 1893; Hon. E. L. Davis
and Rev. Dr. Lemon, Jan. 10, 1893; Rev. ¥. B. Allen and Hon. John D.
Washburn, May 9, 1893; Dr. Chas. L. Nichols and Rev. John C. Brooks,
Oct. 4, 1893; Rt. Rev. Wm. Lawrence, Hon. Edward L. Davis and
Winthrop C. Durfee, Jan. 9, 1894; Rathbone Gardner, of Providence,
and Dean Hodges, of Cambridge, May 8, 1894; Dr. G. Stanley Hall,
Hon. Geo. F. Hoar, Oct. 9, 1894; Rev. L. C. Stewardson, Dr. T. C.
Mendenhall and Hon. Chas. L. Denney, of Leicester, Jan. 7, 1895; Rev.
J. Harris Knowles, Stephen C. Earle and Clarence F. Carroll, superin-
tendent of schools, June 11, 1895; T. Clemson, Oct. 29, 1895; Rev. Wm.
Sheafe, of Woonsocket, R. L, and Jno. H. Stiness, of Providence, Jan.

14, 1896 ; Rev. Chas. M. Addison, archdeacon of Worcester, and Rev.
Edmund Sweet Rousmaniere, archdeacon of New Bedford, June 9, 1896 ;
Hon. Robt. Treat Paine and Rev. Fred. B. Allen, of Boston, Nov. 10,
1896; Rev. Jno. P. Peters, of New York, Feb. 9, 1897; Rev. Eliot White,
Rev. Mr. Haughton, of Clinton, and Rev. Dr. Vinton, and Hon. Henry
L. Parker, Oct. 12, 1897; Rt. Rev. Percy T. Rowe, Bishop of Alaska,
and Hon. E. L. Davis, Nov. 8, 1898 ; Rt. Rev. Wm. H. McVicar, Bishop
coadjutor of Rhode Island, Very Rev. Wilford L. Robbins, Dean of All
Saints, Albany, Feb. 6, 1899; Rt. Rev. T. F. Davis, Reginald Wash-
burn and Dr. Langdon C. Stewardson, Dec. 14, 1914; S. Hamilton Coe,
March 24, 1915; Hon. W^ T. Forbes, Nov. 17, 1915; Rt. Rev. T. F.
Davies, Rev. E. S. Rousmaniere, Harry G. Stoddard and Robert K. Shaw,
Feb. 9, 1916; Rev. Walton S. Danker, chaplain of 2d Mass. Regt., Oct.

15, 1916; Dr. Martin Prince, Bishop Davies and Rt. Rev. James DeW.
Perry, Jr., Bishop of Rhode Island, Feb. 8, 1917; J. W. Mawbey, J.
Burford Parry of Springfield; Lt. Col. E. K. Massee, April 17, 1918.

From 1899 to 1914 the club was dormant. Largely through the
efforts of Alfred T. Howarth, the organization again became active. Its
present membership is about one hundred. The presidents of the club :
Matthew J. Whittall, 1889; Chas. M. Bent, 1890; Stephen C. Earle,
1891; Henry L. Parker, 1892; Dr. Chas. L. Nichols, 1893; Jas. Cunning-
ham, 1894; Jos. Jackson, 1895; Edward L. Davis, 1896; Chas. G. Wash-
burn, 1897-1914; D. W. Carter, 1914; Edward T. Esty, 1916; Z. W.
Coombs, 1914-15; Rev. Mr. Roots, 1914-15; R. D. Lidstone, 1916 — ;
M. Bent, 1889 ; Stephen C. Earle, 1890 ; Henry L. Parker, 1891 ; Chas.
L. Nichols, 1892; Jas. Cunningham, 1893; Jos. Jackson, 1894; Alfred
Thomas 1895-97 and 1914-15; Jos. Alden Shaw, 1898-1914; Z. W.
Coombs, 1914-15; Rev. Mr. Roots, 1914-15; Al. R. D. Lidstone, 1916 — ;
Edmund C. Mayo, 1916 — ; A. A. Burbank, 1918— . Clerks: Stephen
C. Earle, 1889; Alfred Thomas, 1890-93 and 1898-1914; Edmund L.
Parker, 1894; Francis W. Blacker, 1895; Jos. Jackson, 1896; Jno. A.
Thayer, 1897; Frank E. Dodge, 1914 — . Treasurers: Jos. Jackson,
1889-94; Chas. A. Allen, 1895-97; Jos. Jackson, 1898-1914; Alfred
T. Howarth, 1914 — .



86o



HISTORY OF WORCESTER




ST. JOHN'S.




~Wi







ST. ANNE'S.




h\l.\l.\C LI,\ I I. L().\t 1-.I'I'10.\.



CHAPTER LVII

The Catholic Church— Its Establishment in Worcester— St. John's
Church— St. Anne's— Sacred Heart— St. Paul's— Immaculate Con-
ception — St. Peter's— St. Stephen's — Ascension— Blessed Sac-
rament—St. Bernard's— Ckir Lady of the Angels— Home for
the Aged — The Gray Nuns — Ladies' Benevolent
Association

The Roman Catholic Church.— The first body of Catholics came to
Worcester in 1836. They were Irish laborers, young men brought here
by contractors engaged in constructing the Blackstone canal. This
work kept them employed two years, and some of them became per-
manent residents. It is not known that any earlier settlers of this faith
became permanent settlers. The construction of the railroad from Bos-
ton to Worcester brought more Catholic Irish laborers here, and some
of them also remained after the work was done.

A search of 'the town records shows that few births were recorded
before 18-10. All that have been found were George, son of Patrick and
Catherine McKenna, b. Dec. 2, 1828, (also James, b. 1837, Julia Ann,

b. 1838) ; George Goulding, son of and Catherine Tighe, b. Dec. 3,

1828 ; Robey Ellen, daughter of John and Mehitable McGrath, b. June
18, 1829, (these parents also had Edward and Mary Jane before 1840) ;
Carlos, son of Patrick and Bridget Murray, b. July 12, 1835 ; William,
son of Wm. and Margaret Underwood, b. Feb. 23, 1835, (also John
Underwood, b. April 11, 1837, and Sarah Ann, b. June 23, 1839) ; James,
son of Francis and Ann Flanigan, b. June 15, 1836, (Carlos, b. March
11, 1839, son of Francis and Ann Flanigan) ; Edward, son of Patrick and
Margaret Conway, boni June 13, 1837, and Nicholas, by same parents,
born March 6, 1840 ; Andrew Laverty, born Oct. 14, 1836, and Catherine,
born Feb. 14, 1838, children of Robert and Mary Laverty.

After 1840 the vital records contain numerous records of births in
Irish families, and the baptizmal records of St. John's furnish many
more. It may be assumed from the careless way records were kept
that at least a dozen perhaps a score of Irish Catholic children were born
here before 1840. But the larger part of the population of this faith
before that date were young men without families.

Bishop Fenwick in 1834 appointed Rev. James Fitton, then pastor at
Hartford, Conn., to visit this town once a month. When he came he
found eighty persons of his faith in this section. April 4, 1834, Chris-
topher Columbus Baldwin, librarian of the American Antiquarian So-
ciety, wrote in his diary (p. 288) :



862 HISTORY OF IV ORC ESTER

I had a visit today from the Rev. James Fitton, a Catholic Priest from Hartford,
Conn. He told me he was the first native of Boston who had ever preached the
Catholic faith in New England. He was born in Boston. April lo, 1805, and is going
to spend his birthday with his mother at Boston on Thursday next, when, he says, he
shall be twenty-nine years old. He was the editor of the Catholic Press, a newspaper
published at Hartford, which, he says, run him in debt a thousand dollars. Before



Online LibraryCharles NuttHistory of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) → online text (page 31 of 63)