Charles Nutt.

History of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) online

. (page 43 of 63)
Online LibraryCharles NuttHistory of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) → online text (page 43 of 63)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


State politics. But this is not so. This activity which has been credited to it has sim-
ply been the activity of some of its members who are leaders in several circles in Wor-
cester, political, business, professional, and social.

The members of the club are the following: Clifford S. Anderson, Carl Bonney, Dr.
Howard W. Real, Geo. F. Booth, Louis H. Buckley, Dr. John W. Cahill, Dr. Wm. E.
Denning, Frank A. Drury, James Early, Edward T. Esty, Frank B. Hall, Leander F.
Hcrrick, Chas. J. Hickey, Jas. Logan, Dr. David B. Lovell, John F. McGrath, Dr. An-
drew E. O'Connell, Philip J. O'Connell, Thos. E. O'Connell, Dr. Jos. W. O'Connor, El-
mer C Potter, John B. Ratigan, Maurice F. Reidy, Dr. A. L. V. Sharon, Harry G.
Stoddard, Webster Thayer, Wm. E. Veasy, Reginald Washburn, John E. White, Sam.
E. Winslow, Oliver B. Wood, Geo. M. Wright.



AND ITS PEOPLE 953

Worcester Woman's Club. — This club was organized December 9, 1880, by the fol-
lowing : Mary P. Jefts, Emma H. Martin, M. Anna Colvin, Diana Plummer, Harriette
P. Draper, Francena E. Porler, Melora F. Pratt, Adaline H. Rowland, Amelia A.
Fitield, Kate C. Taft, Ellen M. Haskell, Elizabeth C. Harrington, Helen M. Davis,
Mary C. Harris, Adaline Williams, Sarah E. Wall, Mary E. Wheelock, Eliza H. Draper,
Alia W. Foster, Abbie E. Howland, Frances M. Baker, Sarah A. Henshaw. The first
officers were: Frances M. Baker, pres. ; Mary P. Jefts, Harriette P. Draper, vice-
pres. ; Alia W. Foster, sec'y ; Melora F. Pratt, treas. Miss Jefts soon afterward
became president, and served five years ; Mrs. Pratt was treasurer for ten years.

At the beginning the work of the club was divided among committees on literature,
history, art, science, work and education, and social entertainment. As the club grew,
the number of departments was increased. At present (1917) there arc committees on
art, civics, education, home economics, hospitality, literature and music.

The club began in 1884 to urge the need of industrial education, now generally
adopted in the schools. The kindergartens in the public schools were advocated by the
club as well as physical education. In 1902 a special committee on public schools, of
which Eliza D. Robinson was chairman, was chosen. For many years the club urged
the reduction in the size of the school board and was influential in effecting the change.
It has maintained intimate relations with the Public Education Association. It was ac-
tive in the preliminary movement to establish the Girls' Trade School in this city in
1906. In all these movements for the improvement of the schools, the club followed
the policy of getting the best speakers available, and educating not only the members
but the general public in the subject under consideration. The power of the club has
always been exerted by intelligent and careful presentation and discussion.

In 1897-98 classes were formed in parliamentary drill (which had been in exist-
ence since 1896), sociology, deep breathing and bodily rhythm, current events. Brown-
ing, and history. Lecture courses were maintained in each department. The Brown-
ing class, led by Miss Eleanor Whiting, of the Spy, continued twelve years. The Drama
Class has devoted most of its yeaj to Shakespeare and is still studying the Historical
Plays. A course in the Development of the Drama was successful.

The Literature Department has presented many admirable plays and the annual
performances have been important events in the history of the club. The vacation
school idea was introduced by the club and Helen A. Ball was chairman of the first
committee. Classes were formed for boys in manual training, and for girls in basketry
and sewing. After six years, the work was taken over by the city. Mrs. M. F. Pratt
succeeded Miss Ball as chairman of this committee. The first public playground was
organized and supported by the club.

The club organized a system for encouraging savings by the children and the
results have been wonderful. In two years 5,000 children began saving and a thousand
started bank accounts. Since then many thousand children have been started on the
road to thrift and economy.

The club held the first Pure Food Exposition in 191 1, and its campaign against
adulterated and impure food has been waged vigorously since then. Lectures on' sex
education have been given. The club has co-operated in war relief of many kinds and
has a committee on patriotic activities. It has collected a library valued' at $3,000. I Con-
tributions have been made to the Boys' Club, to the Safe and' Sane Fourth celebra-
tions, the fly extermination campaign, to the Boy Scouts' fund ; the Worcester County
Farm Bureau relief work; the Tuberculosis Hospital; the Consumers' League; the
Clean Milk Stations; the Fresh Air Fund; Classes for Foreign Mothers in English.
The club has done much social service among foreign born women, and the success of
this work in Americanization has been proved by the large attendance at the Commun-
ity Days in 1917 and 1918, when twelve nationalities were represented. The club has
been a pioneer agent in such activities as free kindergartens, city playgrounds, stamp-
savings, the moving picture review board, selected motion pictures for children on Sat-



954 HISTORY OF WORCESTER

urday afternoons, classes in hygiene and care of infants for girls in the public schools.
It has been closely associated with the Public Education Association, the Public
School Art League and other educational and reform organizations of the city. A
scholarship for child study was given to Clark University ; a cast of The Winged Vic-
tory to the Worcester Art Museum.

The fifth anniversary was celebrated by a gentleman's night, with a banquet in the
Church of the Unity. The tenth anniversary was observed by a brilliant function in
Association Hall. At a celebration of the i6th anniversary in Memorial Hall the char-
ter members were guests. The thirtieth anniversary was celebrated in the present club
house in December, 1910, Mrs. Geo. A. Slocomb presiding; Mrs. Eliza D. Robinson,
Miss Georgie A. Bacon and Mrs. Chas. F. Marble were the other speakers. Receptions
have been given to Charlotte Emerson Brown, Julia Ward Howe, presidents of Na-
tional and State Federation, to the public school teachers, wives of delegates to the
International Chamber of Commerce.

The present membership is limited to 750, having been increased from time to time,
and in recent years the waiting list has been over 200.

The presidents of the club have been: Mrs. Frances M. Baker, Miss Mary P.
Jefts, Mrs. Mary C. Harris, Mrs. Eliza D. Robinson, Mrs.- Abbie L. Sumner,; Mrs. Abby
L. Stone, Mrs. Annie W. Comins, Mrs. Ella L. T. Baldwin, Mrs. Abbie L. McCullagh,
Miss Georgie A. Bacon, Mrs. Clara S. Lovell, Miss Georgie A. Bacon, Miss Ellen A.
Kimball, Mrs. Minnie L. Eddy, Mrs. Jennie Barbour Spraguc, Mrs. Florence Seaver
Slocomb, Mrs. Arabella H. Tucker, Mrs. Nellie M. Gould. The officers for 1918' were:
Mrs. Chas. F. Marble, pres. ; Mrs. Chas. T. Estabrook, Mrs. Frank Roe Batchelder,
vice-prests. ; Alice G. Merrill, rec. sec. ; Mrs. Geo. H. Haynes, treas. ; Mrs. Willis E. Sib-
ley, cor. sec. The honorary members of the club have been: Mrs. Lucy Stone, Mrs.
Julia Ward Howe and Miss Clara Barton. In the Woman's edition, of the Worcester
Evening Gazette, April 11, 1914, edited, written and managed .by members ofl the club,
there is a more extended history of the club.

At first the club met in"; the homes of members, then in the Church of the Unity
parlors, the Art Students club rooms, the Y. M. C. A. rooms, later in Colonial Hall,
and the Y. W. C. A. building. Meantime the club had grown to a membership of '400,
and larger quarters were needed. When the committee of the club was considering
sites, Hon. Stephen Salisbury donated the location on which the club-house now
stands, in April, 1899. A corporation was formed with capital stock of $60,000, and
subscriptions taken both from members and friends. The charter is dated July 28,
1900. The officers of this corporation were: Miss Georgie A. Bacon, pres.; Nellie F.
Rogers, clerk; Afrs. Julia T. Murdock, treas.; Directors: Mrs. Ella L. T. Baldwin, Mrs.
Mary C. Bullock, Mrs. Mabel Knowles Gage, Miss Sarah A. Henshaw, Mrs. Hester A.
Knowles, Mrs. Melora F. Pratt. The club held 645 shares, representing the land, etc.
The plans of Miss Josephine Wright Chapman, architect, were accepted. Ground
was broken in September, 1901, and the building was dedicated Oct. 6, 1902. It is pro-
vided with halls, meeting rooms of various sizes, and since its completion has been
the center of activity, not only for the club but for many other organizations of women.
Dean, Salisbury and Tuckerman halls have been popular places for balls, social gather-
ings, graduations and lectures.

The clubhouse by formal vote was transferred to the ownership of the club on
Feb. 6, 1918. The club had acquired mostly by gift of the stockholders all of the
stock in the clubhouse corporation excepting thirteen shares. In 1913 the club held a
bazaar under the direction of Miss Arabella H. Tucker, then president, and the sum
of $7,400 was raised to pay the balance of the mortgage, the last $2,000 being given by
Mcsdamcs Cclia E. Fobes and Frank W. Houghton.

Catholic Women's Club. — Rev. Dr. John J. McCoy, who had been for many years
previously interested in the education and culture of the women in the parish of St.
John's and in his own parish, St. Anne's, brought about the organization of this club in



AND ITS PEOPLE 955

1906. In purposes it is similar to the other Women's Club which has taken so im-
portant and influential place in civic and social life. It has its social, religious, educa-
tional, and benevolent work ; year by year it has grown, and it takes rank among the
foremost organizations of women in the city.

Dr. McCoy realized at the start that success depended upon having a home, and
he was fortunate in securing a suitable building, centrally located and admirably adapted
to the needs of the organization. When the club was less than a year old the mansion
of the late Lovell Baker at 53 Laurel street on Mormal Hill was purchased. This
house was erected in 1870 at a cost of $40,000, and had been kept in perfect repair. It
was well built and the interior finish was of the finest wood. It was equipped by the
club with steam heating apparatus, electric lights and modern plumbing. Otherwise it
was well adapted for the use of the club. In making the renovations, various rooms
were given names for convenience, and decorated and furnished to fit their names,
such as the Moorish, Irish, Dutch, Rococco and Colonial rooms. Perhaps the most in-
teresting and unique is the Pompeian Room, a copy of a room uncovered in ancient
Pompeii. Cerlys & Andrew Blair of Holyoke and Sandgren and Engborg of Worcester
were the decorators; Jeremiah J. Higgins of this city was general contractor for the
alterations. In one respect this clubhouse has unusual advantages for the women
members ; that is in its kitchen, its facilities for cooking, serving refreshments at so-
cial functions, etc. The house was opened in January, 1907, and put to its present uses
February i2th. The dedication by Bishop Beavan took place November 20, 1908.
Classes in household arts were formed, such as cooking, millinery and dressmaking;
educational courses in art, languages and physical culture have been given. There is
a good gymnasium and several tennis courts. The fact that most of the members are
young women, tends to make this club different in its activities from other women's
clubs. Many are school teachers, clerks and stenographers.

The variety of subjects covered in the lectures before the club and the prominence
of the speakers indicate the educational value of the lectures given. Following is a
partial list: Rev. D. H. O'Neill, The Gregorian Chant; Dr. Henry S. Curtis, The Play-
ground Movement; Dr. G. Stanley Hall, The Benefit of Play; Rev. T. E. Murphy, S. J.,
President Holy Cross, Religion in Education; E. J. McMahon, A Summer Day in Eu-
rope; John A. Callahan, principal of the Highlands School, Holyoke, America's Un-
crowned Queen; Rev. Jeremiah M. Prendergast, S. J., Merchant of Venice; Henreich
Beisenherz of Clark University, Education of German Women ; Hon. Philip J. O'Con-
nell, Municipal Government; Rev. Dr. McCoy, Criticism of the Play, A Servant in the
House; Dr. David B. Love, Hygiene of the Eyes; Jas. B. Connolly, Deep Sea Fish-
ermen; Dr. Michael Fallon, Disease of the Stomach; Rev. Dr. McCoy, Eucharistic

Congress; , Hamlet; Rev. Dr. McCoy, Macbeth; Rev. T. B. Fitzpatrick of

Boston, Chapter on Racial Stock-taking ; Rev. Dr. Edward A. Pace of the Catholic
University, Washington, The Church and the Citizen ; Dr. Shields, Catholic University,
Washington, D. C. ; Mrs. William T. Forbes, Some New England Diaries; Rev. Dr.
McCoy, Some Days in the Holy Land ; H. P. Cassidy of Boston, My Experiences with
the Food Adulterers ; Mrs. John W. Maher, Ancient and Medieval Music ; Dr. Anna
F. Murphy, Physical Training; Dr. Thos. B. Lawlor, From Berlin to Siberia; Edwin
H. Marble, Housing Conditions; C. O'Connell Galvin, Orators of Two Continents; and
Waste Talent of the Irish; John M. Lynch, Irish Arts; Rev. Patrick F. Doyle of
Springfield, Monsignor Benson ; Rev. Dr. McCoy, Ireland ; Jos. T. O'Reilly, Sir Thomas
Moore.

The presidents of the club have been: Mrs. Adelia T. Riordan, igo6-o8; Miss
Ellen C. Murphy, 1908-11 ; Mrs. Jos. E. Underwood, 1911-12; Agnes E. Daniels, 1912-
14; Miss Agnes Herbert, 1914-15; Miss Maud E. Chase, 1915-16. In 1917 the officers
were : Mrs. John J. Cummings, pres. ; Anna M. Johnson and Angelina Bissonette, and
Mrs. Geo. Chandler, vice-prests. ; Annie M. Clark, clerk ; Sarah McCormick, sec'y ;
Rev. Dr. John J. McCoy, treasurer.



^-6 HISTORY OF WORCESTER



The Levana Club.— The Levana Club, composed exclusively of teachers, was or-
ganized in 1905 and became affiliated with the State Federation of Teachers' Clubs in
191 1. Its object is to promote a closer union among the women teachers of Worcester
and vicinity by means of such social intercourse and friendly co-operation as shall
further social, ethical and intellectual culture; to raise the standard of excellence
among teachers; to create a deeper sense of the dignity of the profession and the im-
portance of the interests it represents. The club is named from the Goddess Levana,
protectress of children. Its active membership has always been in the neighborhood
of 300, and it has a growing list of honorary members, composed of persons who have
completed forty years of teaching, the last twenty of which were in the public schools
of Worcester. One-fourth of all the club dues are reserved for a fund known as the
Mutual Benefit Fund upon which members may draw for aid in case of absence from
school on account of illness or accident for a period longer than two weeks.

The presidents of the Club have been: Emma A. Porter 1906-07; Arabella H.
Tucker, 1908-09; Anna P. Smith, 1910-11; Harriet R. Pierce, 1912-13; Alice H. Beld-
ing, 1914-15; Abigail L. O'Hara, 1916-17; M. Harriette Bishop, 1918-. The correspond-
ing secretaries have been: Arabella H. Tucker, 1906-07; Jane M. Wheeler, 1908-09;
M. Ella Whipple, 1910-11 ; Florence A. Woodis, 1912-13; Grace E.Oliver, 1914-15; Fran-
ces M. Hunt, 1916; Ellen E. Moynihan, 1917-.

The first headquarters of the club were at 68 Lincoln street. It spent a year at the
Salisbury House, 24 Highland street; a year in the Woman's Club building, three
years in the old Salisbury Mansion at Lincoln Square and the remaining time in its
present location in the Sawyer building, 393 Main street. The lectures and entertain-
ments that have been arranged annually by the club have brought to Worcester some of
the most eminent men and women of the time. Money for its various undertakings has
been raised by the members of the club through sales, fairs, suppers, card parties,
musicales, etc., while the habit of working together for a common cause has stimulated
the spirit of good fellowship among the teachers which is a valuable asset in any teach-
ing force.

In 1915 a committee appointed by the club drew up a Code of Ethics for Teachers,
designed to inspire high ideals in the work of edcuation and to secure unity of pur-
pose. This code, which follows, was adopted by the Levana Club and received con-
siderable attention among similar clubs elsewhere as well as in the press.

1. Ch.\racter.— We believe that the first qualification for a teacher is a character
of the highest type. A teacher should strive to be absolutely honest in every detail of
life; to be just and generous; to be free from selfishness and jealousy; to see beyond
the petty concerns of private convenience and pleasure; and to stand for what is
best in the life of the community.

2. Prep.\r.\tio.v.— We believe that every teacher should cultivate that superior pow-
er which unconsciously transmits values, attitudes and ideals, and creates an atmos-
phere of refinement, culture, and dignity.

3. Social Relations.— We believe that the teacher should have an interest in the
fundamental problems and purposes of modern social life so keen and so vital that
the reaction to the situations of school life and class-room instruction will be true to the
larger aspirations of the outside world.

4. Attitude.— (a) We believe that we should give one another loyal-co-operation,
mutual support, and deferential treatment, in all professional and business relations,
(b) We believe that both appreciation and frank constructive criticism should be
given honestly and kindly, and should be welcomed as a stimulus to better work, (c)
We believe that the teacher's attitude toward the pupils should be sympathetic, and that
the child's individuality should be respected, (d) Wc believe that our attitude towards
teaching should be professional and not commercial; that we should put public service
before personal gain, (e) We believe that each individual teacher should feel a
personal obligation to maintain a high professional standard.



AND ITS PEOPLE 957



5. Organization. — We believe that organizations of teachers should recognize their
responsibility towards the whole body, and in taking action should regard the honor
and credit of the profession. We believe that any use of such organizations for sel-
fish gain or political control is unprofessional.

6. Profes-sional Preparation.— We believe that adequate preparation both in schol-
arship and in professional training, is necessary that we may invigorate life through
knowledge and make constant jirogressive adjustments to changing needs.

7. Positions.— (a) We believe that the recognized basis for appointment to any
position should be moral and educational worth together with fine personality, (b) We
believe that it is unprofessional for any teacher to use the influence of politicians, of
publishing or supply houses or of any agencies which may be affected by motives other
than those of public interest, (d) We believe that a contract is a business obligation
which cannot be set aside without the consent of both parties concerned.

8. Press and Public. — We believe that it is unprofessional for a teacher to betray
any confidence concerning the school, the teachers, or the pupils, or to make public or
give to the press any information which should come from other sources.

Worcester Home Club. — This was organized in 1893, and admitted to the Massa-
chusetts Federation in 1895. Its object is intellectual improvement and social inter-
course. Its programs have included papers on travel, art, music, social conditions, his-
tory, etc. For the year 1916-17 the subject has been immigration. The meetings are
held first and third Fridays each month from October 1st until June, at the homes
of its members. The membership is limited to thirty.

Mary A. Livermore. Kate Sanborn, Mrs. Abby Marten Diaz, Prof. A. F. Cham-
berlain. Dr. F. A. Bushee, Dr. James P. Porter, Dr. Geo. H. Blakeslee, of Clark Uni-
versity, and many other representative people have lectured before the club.

The charter members were: Mrs. Horace Kendall, pres. ; Miss Emma Ballard, sec.
and treas. ; Mesdames H. M. Quimby, Wm. Woodward, F. R. Lewis, Wm. S. Tucker,
Geo. W. Knapp, Chas. M. Booth, H. L. Miller. The officers for 1918-19 are : Pres., Mrs.
Grace S. Bailey ; Vice-Pres., Mrs. Lucy U. Partridge ; Sec'y, M:rs. Sadie L. Eddy ;
Treas., Sybil H. Fuller.

Worcester Wheaton Club.— This club, originally called the Worcester Wheaton
Seminary Club, was formed Jan. 2, 1905, at the home of Miss Lucy S. Bill, 744 Main
street. There were twelve former students of Wheaton Seminary present, Mrs. Albert
L. Fisher was chosen temporary chairman, and Miss Bill acted as temporary secretary.
Mrs. Fisher, Miss Helen C. Berry and Miss Lauribel Armsby were appointed to draw
up by-laws. At the second meeting, held in the home of Mrs. Sarah Brigham. the by-
laws were adopted and the first officers were elected. They were : Mrs. Albert L. Fish-
er, pres.; Miss Helen C. Berry, vice-pres. ; Miss Lucy S. Bill, sec'y; Miss Lauribel
Armsby, treas. ; Mrs. Sarah Brigham, chairman of music committee ; Mrs. William C.
Mellish, chairman of social committee; Miss Helen Potter, chairman of program
committee.

At the time the club was organized, the school was a seminary, and Mrs. Eliza
Bayliss Wheaton, who founded it in 1834, was still living. Among its members were
many of the "old girls" who could tell interesting stories of early life at Wheaton,
while each year the younger graduates joined, thus forming a bond of fellowship
among all former students of Wheaton in Worcester county. When the seminary be-
came a college in 1912, there was no break in the life of the club. The name was
changed from the Worcester Wheaton Seminary Club to the Worcester Wheaton Club,
and it now binds together all former students of Wheaton, whether their alma mater
was seminary or college.

The club has three or four meetings a year, in the homes of members. The cus-
tom has recently arisen of having a luncheon during the spring recess of the college,
which serves as the general reunion of the year. It is planned to have present a repre-



958



HISTORY OF WORCESTER




GIRLS CLUB.




WORCESTER BOYS CLUB.



AND ITS PEOPLE 959

sentative of the Wheaton faculty who shall keep members of the club in touch with
recent changes and developments at the college. The club, on its part, stands ready to
give any possible assistance to the ahiia mater, and has many times come to the fore
with gifts for new buildings and on other occasions.

The presidents have been: Jan., 1905-Sept., 1906, Mrs. Albert L. Fisher; 1906-08,
Mrs. E. M. Gould-Sinith ; 1908-09, Miss Helen C. Berry; 1909-11, Miss Mary E. Gould;
1911-13, Mrs. Lester V. Bailey; 1913-14. Mrs. Roger Montague; 1914-15. Miss Lucy S.
Bill ; 1915-17, Miss Irene Clark. Miss Margaret C. Getchell is now president and the
other officers are Miss Mary E. Gould, vice-pres. ; Miss Katherine Copp, sec'y ; Mrs.
Ella A. Hamer, treas. ; Miss Irene Clark, chainnan of program committee.

The Hall Club.— This was organized Oct. 31, 1898, by Mrs. Jos. Knight-Greene,
as a neighborhood mothers' club consisting of twelve members. The club was named
for Dr. G. Stanley Hall, president of Clark University. The work includes child
study, nature work, household economics, phychology, diadetics, art and travel. The
presidents have been: Mrs. John Henry Orr, Mrs. James J. Humphreys, Mrs. Samuel
Horton Colton, Mrs. Jesse E. Phillips, Mrs. Edith L. Clark, M. D., Mrs. George Still-
man Clark, Mrs. R. Morey Bell, Mrs. Rufus C. Bentley, Mrs. Clifton Henry Mix,
Mrs. Winthrop Hammond, Mrs. Walter Harrison Blodget, Mrs. Walter Henry Adams,
Mrs. James Pertice Porter, Mrs. Chas. Rensselaer Johnson. The membership is lim-
ited to thirty. The meetings are held at the homes of rriembers.

The Girls' Club House. — Mrs. Emma D. Harris, widow of the late Henry F. Har-
ris, offered her home as a club house for girls to the Worcester branch of the National
Civic Federation, Dec. i, 1915, providnig funds of $60,000 for its maintenance were
raised. Accordingly a campaign to secure money was held January 17 to 22, 1916, with
substantial results, nearly $25,000 being subscribed. The largest gift was $1,000 by
Mr. and Mrs. Geo. I. Alden. The committee in charge consisted of Mrs. George A.
Slocomb, Mrs. Lincoln N. Kinnicutt, Mrs. Geo. Crompton, Mrs. Alfred L. Aiken, Mrs.
Geo. H. Hill, Mrs. Chas. M. Thayer. Mrs. Edgar Fowler, Mrs. Herbert Johnson, Mrs.
Merrick Lincoln, Mrs. Paul B. Buckingham and Miss Gertrude Wood. Mrs. Harris



Online LibraryCharles NuttHistory of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) → online text (page 43 of 63)