Charles Nutt.

History of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) online

. (page 44 of 63)
Online LibraryCharles NuttHistory of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) → online text (page 44 of 63)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


later in the year conveyed the property to a corporation of the Civic Federation. The
clubhouse is at 67 Lincoln street.

The officers in 1917 were : Mrs. Lincoln X. Kinnicutt, pres. ; Mrs. Wm. Harrington,
vice-pres.; Mrs. Henry F. Harris, treas.; Mrs. Hartley W. Bartlett, sec; Mrs. Jas.
E. Ives, auditor. Directors, Mesdames Geo. Crompton, Francis H. Dewey, Geo. H.
Haynes, Geo. A. Slocomb, Chas. M. Thayer.

Worcester Girls' Club. — The club has classes in dress-making, millinery,
basketry, dancing, basket-ball and Red Cross first aid treatment. It gave
a play and raised money to buy piazza furnishitigs for the club house.
It paid for an illustrated lecture on South America and presented it to
the Worcester public. Two of the most successful summer teas were
those given for the members of the Homes for Old Men and Old Women and for the
Blind Women. The Girls' Club has been formed into a Red Cross Auxiliary, and one
evening a week is devoted to Red Cross work. It has also made up a squad for the
Vol. Clerical Corps. The club is self-governing, and out of their yearly dues the girls
pay all the expenses of their club life. The number of members keeps well to the 250
limit and there is now a waiting list. The ways "and means committee of the Girls'
Club Corporation made $415.52 at a rummage sale, to use for repairs and necessary ex-
penses in 1917.

The Boys' Club. — About 1873 a People's Club in this city undertook to aid the
newsboys and others and furnish them instruction and amusement. That organization
had ceased its work when J. C. Collins, general secretary of the "Work for Boys" in
the United States and Canada, organized a branch here in 1889. Edward Whitney
acted as treasurer, and funds were raised to support the vi'ork. C. L. Burges of
Bridgeport became the first superintendent of what is now the Worcester Boys' Club.



g6o HISTORY OF WORCESTER



Rooms in the building at the head of Barton Place were opened Sept. 2X, 1889. It
should be added that A. C. Buck of this city was one of the founders of the Interna-
tional Society, with Rev. Dr. E. E. Hale, T. E. Pierson of Pittsfield, and W. H. Ha.le
of Springfield. • , • ■

The Boys' Club was incorporated May 29. '893. for providing and maintaining
rooms for the improvement of the moral, physical, intellectual and social nature of
boys " The members mentioned in the charter were Wm. H. Burns, Henry L. Miller,
Florence A. Rider, Alice B. Wheeler and Josephine C. Aldrich. The first executive
committee after incorporation was: Wm. H. Burns, pres.; Florence A. Rider, sec'y;
Henry L. Miller, treas. ; Edwin N. Northrop, superintendent : Edward F. Bisco ; Mrs.
Henry A. Wheeler, Josephine C. Aldrich. In 1894 the club moved from the Cook
building. Barton Place, to 617 Main street. In 1906 the land and building at the corner
of Portland and Madison streets were bought and remodelled. Stephen P. Streeter
succeeded Mr. Northrop as superintendent. Since 1907 David W. Armstrong has been
superintendent.

In order to secure a permanent home, a campaign for a building and endowment
fund of $150,000 was held in 1914. and, from April j8 to May 11, the sum of $162,691.38
was raised. At this time the executive committee was: Reginald Washburn, pres.;
Henry L. Miller, vice-pres.; Mrs. Chas. M. Thayer, sec'y; Ernest G. Adams, treas.;
Maurice F. Reidy, Harry G. Stoddard, George A. Gaskill, Dr. Jas. Taylor, Jr., Jerome
R. George and Mr. Armstrong. Land at the corner of Ionic avenue and Beacon
street was bought in December, 1913; work was begun October 12, 1914; and the
cornerstone laid by President Reginald Washburn and Supt. Armstrong, Jan. 31, 1915.
The building was opened Oct. 20, 1915. At that time the membership was 800.

At this time there were a gymnasium class, athletic contests, basketball and base-
ball leagues, medical examinations, advice and treatment, shower baths ; classes in car-
pentry, printing, and mechanical drawing; reading rooms, circulating library, and a
savings department. The boys were taught high ideals and standards, but no religious
services were held. The summer camp at Lancaster had been established. A fund for pro-
viding food and clothing for the needy was raised and a lunch room opened during
periods of hard times. The boys were given charge of the caddy work at the Wor-
cester Country Club, employing about seventy-five in vacation. The superintendent was
appointed probation officer of the Central District Court, and since then has had ex-
ceptional opportunities for handling boys who have started wrong. At this time the
annual operating cost was $6,330.

Supt. .Armstrong deserves a large share of the credit for the magnificent new home
of the club. He came here from Pittsfield, where he was trained in the Boys' Club of
that city and immediately began plans for the building and the extension of the club
work. Frost & Chamberlain were the architects ; John J. Powers, the contractor. The
gymnasium was given by Hon. and Mrs. Chas. G. Washburn in memory of two sons.
Whittall Hall, the assembly room, was the gift of Matthew J. Whittall. The Swift
Memorial Library was given by Mrs. Sarah J. Swift, as a memorial to her husband, D.
Wheeler Swift. (See Worcester Magazine, 1908, p. 23; 1913, p. 52; 1914, p. 160, 263;
1915 and annual reports). The new building was opened with a reception to the cam-
paign workers of the building fund, Oct. 20, 1915, and work began Nov. I. By May
31, 1916, the membership was 1799. In winter the average attendance has been more
than 600 daily.

During the daytime, the building has been used by a Woman's Auxiliary and a
Junior .Auxiliary and the building, especially the swimming pool, has been in use the
entire year. The Boy Scouts now have an afternoon a week. The National Guard
has had free use of the building.

The membership rose to 2,469 in the spring of 1917, and the club took rank among
the largest in the country. Among other organizations meeting in Whittall Hall have
been the Worcester Advertising Club, the Hampton Association, the Monday Evening



AND ITS PEOPLE 961

Club, the Belgium Relief Committee and the Red Cross. Mr. Armstrong was active
in the work of raising funds and getting members for the Red Cross. The operating
expenses are but $10,000 a year. The executive board of 1917 is the same as that of 1915.

Boy Scouts. — The Boy Scout movement was incorporated in Washington, Feb. 8,
1910. In three years there were 400,000 scouts, and the rate of increase has continued
since then. Worcester was one of the first cities to take up the new idea. Ernest G.
Adams was the first coirmissioner here. Troop No. i, under Scout Master A. H.
Wheeler was formed in Park Church. E. W. Smith of Piedmont Church and Dr. H.
E. Watkins of Tatnuck organized troops. In 1913 L. S. Kelley, a student in Clark
Uu'versity, was chosen to supervise the scout movement in this city, and twenty-five
or more troops have been organized. Geo. F. Booth, chairman of the local committee,
gave much time to the work and promoted it in the Gazette, his newspaper.

Arthur R. Forbush was scout commissioner in 1914-1916. He was succeeded by
Herbert E. Shaffer. The local council was chartered by the national organization. The
headquarters of the Worcester Council are at 16 Mechanic street, Room 221, Sawyer
building. The officers in 1917 were: Pres., Jerome R. George; Vicc-Prests., Kenneth
B. Lewis and Rev. John J. McCoy ; Sec'y, Geo. Rugg ; Treas., Ralph H. Mann.

Herbert E. Shafifer died March 21, 1917. The present scout executive is Harry C.
Simpson. There are under the jurisdiction of the Worcester Council, 1,023 active
scouts, 51 troops and 107 officers. The scouts rendered splendid service in the Liberty
Loan campaigns. In the work of utilizing garden space and in work on farms and
vegetables gardens, the scouts were very efficient, both in 1917 and 1918. Through the
generosity of Wm. E. Norcross the house and grounds at Fairlawn, May street, on
Coes Pond, was given to the scouts for use in 1918. The property has a fine grove and
the house is equipped for picnic purposes.

Plans were completed early in 1918 for a newspaper, entitled "Dots and Dashes,"
of which Commissioner A. R. Tulloch is editor-in-chief w.ith an assistant editor from
each district — Fred P. Abbott, Henry O. Tilton, Chas. S. Knight, Carl V. Holm and
Geo. S. Thompson. Everett B. Price is financial secretary.



W.— 1-61.



9f..



HISTORY OF WORCESTER




CHAPTER L.WII
Country Clubs — Golf and Tennis Clubs — Yacht, Canoe and Fishing Clubs




TATXECK COLXTKV CLLB.

With a very few exceptions, the following accounts have been given
by a prominent member of the body names:

Tatnuck Country Club. — This was organized Oct. 7. 1898, and incorporated Oct.
20. 1898. Its home is at Tatnuck. and the location is convenient for members and ad-
mirably suited to the purposes of the club. The view from the hill on which the club-
house is located is magnificent. The club has acquired and now owns 250 acres. Its
golf course consists of nine holes with a length of 3053 yards. There are also ex-
cellent tennis courts, grounds for trap-shooting and a pond for ice-hockey.

Until 1902 an old farmhouse was used for a clubhouse. The present building was
designed by Frost. Briggs & Chamberlain, architects. No small part of the credit for
the growth and standing of the club is due to the competent steward. Lewis Dean and
his wife, who have had charge of the club-house since 1907.

The presidents of the club have been : Waldo Lincoln, 1898-1902 and 1904-07 ; Geo.
B. Witter, 1902-04 and 1907-12; Matt. J. Whittall, 1912-16; and Chandler Bullock, 1916-
18. Vice-presidents: Josiah H. Clarke. 1898-99; Geo. B. Witter, 1902-04; Chas. H.
Flint. 1904-06; Alex. DeWitt, 1906-07; Francis H. Dewey. 1907-12; Wm. T. Forbes,
1912-17; Wm. G. Ludlow, 1917-18. Secretaries: Fred. S. Pratt, 1898-1913; Clarence S.
Brigham, 1913-18. Treasurers: Geo. M. Bassett, 1898-99; Chas. A. Williams, 1899-1901 ;
Chas. P. Adams, 1901-06; Albert G. Mason, 1906-07; Fred. B. Washburn, 1907-13;
Robt. L. Mason, 1913-15; Harlan T. Pierpont, 1915-18. The club has a membership of
nearly 350, including active, associate, junior and non-resident members. There are
225 active members.

Worcester Country Club. — This club succeeded the Worcester Golf Club, which
was organized in 1900 with links at 402 Lincoln street. This club served as a school
for golfers and from year to year grew in membership. It had an attractive club-
house and an excellent course. Chas. E. Hildreth was president until 1906; A. O.
Knight, 1906-08; Geo. W. Batchelder, 1908-11 ; Fred J. Bowen. 1911-12; Waldo E. Ses-
sions, 1912-13.



,^,^ HISTORY OF WORCESTER



The burning of the clubhouse brought about a decision to re-organ.ze on a more
ambitious scale In 1913 the Worcester Country Club was organized, with Harry G.
Stoddard as president. The George Calvin Rice farm on Mountain street was pur-
chased and work began on clubhouse and golf course. In the meantnne the club con-
tinued for about a year at 402 Lincoln street. The new home was dedicated Sept. .'9. >914.
Ex-president William H. Taft was the guest of honor and was elected an honorary
member He drove from the first tee the first ball played on the new links. Atter-
ward a foursome match was played by four golf stars-Francis J. Ouimet, national,
French and Massachusetts amateur champion; Thos. L. McXamara, former metropoli-
tan and Massachusetts open champion; Michael J. Brady, Massachusetts open cham-
pion and Sanford K. Sterne, member of the Tatnuck Country Club and formerly Wor-
cester County champion. It is said that there is no finer course in the country.

The clubhouse cost $65,000. It is of the Georgian style. Lucius W. Briggs was
the architect. (For a description of the building, see Wor. Mag. Nov. I. 1914)- The
club has 210 acres of land. Donald J. Ross, one of the foremost golf-course architects
of the country laid out the i8-hole links.

The original officers were : Harry G. Stoddard, pres. ; Waldo E. Sessions and Geo.
F. l-uller. vice-prests.; C. W. Delano, sec'y : Fred J. Bowen, treas. The committees'
chairmen were: C. Henry Hutchins, finance; Harry W. Goddard, clubhouse; Arthur
J, Wallace, opening celebration; Wm. N. Stark, general furnishings; Chas. E. Hildreth,
house o|)ening; Leander F. Herrick, transportation; Geo. F. Fuller, golf course;
Rich. W. Davis, locker rooms; Mrs. Albert L. Stratton, advisory committee of ladie*
on general furnishings for the club house. Since 1914 to 1917 Chas. Henry Hutchir.s
was president. The officers in 1917-18 were: John E. White, pres.; Leander F. Her-
rick and Chas. C. Milton, vicc-prcsts. ; Warren S. Shepard. treas.; Chas. W. Delano,

sec'y.

Green Hill Golf Club.— This was organized Oct. 20. 191 5, for the purpose of al-
lowing the players on the Municipal Golf Links the privilege of affiliation with the
United States Golf Association and the Massachusetts Golf Association, that its mem-
bers might compete in open tournaments and receive the same consideration as members
of more exclusive clubs.

The club was organized with 59 charter members and at the end of the year it had
65 members. The officers for 1917 were: Pres., Harry Worcester Smith; Vice-pres.,
Dr. Theobald C. McSheehy ; Treas., Benj. W. Ayres ; Sec'y, Harold J. Neale. Board
of Governors (including above officers): Hamilton B. Wood, Fred. A. Carroll, J.
Phillii) Kendall, Harlan W. Holden, Jas. E. Low.

Grafton Country Club.— This club was founded in 1895 by eight sportsmen inter-
ested in riding and shooting. The organization consisted of Rockwood Hoar. Pres.;
H. Winfield Wyman, vice-pres.; Frank L. Hale, sec'y and treas.: Wm. Lord Smith,
forester; Harry W. Smith, Geo. B. Indies, Randolph Crompton and Jos. L. Keith. They
purchased for the home of the club the farm owned by the heirs of John Reardon
situated in Millbury and Grafton and adjoining the large estates of H. W. Smith, Sam.
H. Colton and Geo. B. Inches. The original purchase comprised 36 acres which has
since been increased by gifts of land from members and the buying of new tracts un-
til it now owns about 200 acres.

It was the first Country Club in the vicinity of Worcester and rapidly became a
social center instituting a series of meets, the members giving si.\ to ten breakfasts
each year at their various country places, going out in their coaches or riding in the sad-
dles. In 1903 the first of two horse shows was held. These were managed by Harry
Worcester Smith and were regarded at the time as the most successful open air shows
in the country. The club does not seek a large membership, and at the present time
consists of 25 charter or owning members, 24 associate and 9 honorary members.

The club has an attractive house which is open nine months in the year and is noted
for its good cusine. The present officers are : Lucius J. Knowles. pres. ; Geo. W. Knowl-



AND ITS PliOPl.li 965

ton. Jr.. vice-prcs. ; Frank I,. Hale, scc'y ; Harry 1". Wliitin. trcas.. and 11. \V. Smith,
forester.

Leicester Country Club. — This is situated at Mount Pleasant on the state high-
way between Worcester and Spencer. It has a commodious and well appointed club-
house, and a nine-hole golf course. There arc two tennis courts on the property, and
a boathouse on the lake adjoining the golf course.

The club is the outgrowth of the Leicester Golf Club, which was organized May i,
1900. Herbert Bisco was prime mover, and was elected first president. The Golf
Club constructed a six-hole golf course on part of the land now occupied liy the coun-
try club, its membership was about eighty.

in March, 1906, the Golf Club was reorganized as the Leicester Country Club, with
the following officers : Pres., Chas. L. Waitc ; \'ice-Pres. and Clerk, Geo. W. Burnett ;
Treas.. Harold C. Murdock. More land was acquired, the golf course was extended
to nine holes, and the clubhouse and tennis courts were constructed. In December,
1908, the club was incorporated. The club-house was enlarged and a boat house was
erected on the shores of the lake adjoining the club's property. Walter C. Watson was'
elected president, and has been re-elected each succeeding year. For the past ten years
the club has been very jKipular, and draws about three-fourths of its members froiu
Worcester. Its present membership is 220. The club is an allied member of the United
States Golf Association and a member of the Massachusetts Golf Association.

Its present officers are : Pres.. Walter C. Watson ; Vice-Prcs., Walter Warren ;
Treas.. F. Lincoln Powers ; Clerk, Roy F. Gilkeson, who, with Clarence D. Mixter,
Bradford .A. Gibson. Edward W. Hanna, Philip F. Coe and Philip W. Joslin. compose
the .governing board.

Worcester Tennis Club. — This club was incorporated in .April. 1907. The incor-
porators were: Walter L. Jennings, Arthur L, Weatherly. John D. Baldwin, Chester
T. Porter, Chester S. Allen, Edward F. Mann, T. Leverett Nelson.

The club was the successor of the Salisbury Tennis Club, which had courts on In-
stitute road, and Dean and Wachusett streets. Dr. Walter L. Jennings was the first
president of the Worcester Tennis Club, and held the office continuously until 1917,
when he resigned, being succeeded by Dr. Walter C. Seelye. who now holds the office.

In May. 1907, the club purchased 36.506 square feet of land on Sever street, near
the corner of Highland street. There are six tennis courts and a clubhouse. The
club has held annual open tournaments since its incorporation until 1917, when the
tournament was omitted on account of the war. Annual tournaments are held for mem-
bers only, the winner of which for the time being holds the trophy known as the
John D. Baldwin cup. presented by Mrs. John D. Baldwin in 1916, in memory of her
husband.

Quinsigamond Boat Club. — This is the oldest boat club of Worcester. The found-
ers were John G. Heywood. Edwin Brown, Jas. P. Hamilton, Henry H. Chamberlain,
Jr.. Timothy R. Green, Wm. E. Hacker and Edward B. Hamilton, who began to row
on Lake Quinsigamond in October, 1857. This group was soon joined by the Wide-
Awake Club, that rowed on Salisbury Pond. The Atlanta Boat Club in 1859 began row-
ing on Curtis Pond, but soon removed its boat, "The Phantom" to the lake, and it was
bought by Heywood and his associates, who afterward called themselves the Phan-
tom Boat Club, and later joined the Atlantas in building a boathouse on the Shrews-
bury shore. This boathouse was moved to the west shore on the site of the present
Coburn boathouse in 1862.

In 1864 a shell was bought and named Quinsigamond. .About the same time the
Phantoms adopted the present name, Quinsigamond Boat Club. A new clubhouse near
Regatta Point, north of the bridge, was opened June 26. 1875. and in this year a formal
organization was made with twenty active members and six "fine" members. In 1883
it was incorporated with forty members. In 1883 the present site was purchased, the
old boathouse moved, and a clubhouse erected and opened June 9, 1884. A restaurant



966



UlS'lOKV OF WORCESTER



was opened in 1887; the boathouse enlarged in 1888 and the clubhouse in 1889 and
1910. At present there are 67 active, eight non-resident and sixteen honorary mem-
bers. _ . „

The first race won by the crew was in 1865, in the Worcester Citizens Regatta in
the "Quinsigamond." John G. Heywood, stroke; Edwin Brown, Stedman Clark, and
Edward B. Hamilton, bow, formed the crew. The course was three miles with a turn ;
time, 21 min.. 8 sec. Again, July 27, 1866, this club won in the Citizens' Regatta in 21
min. 4 sec. In 1867 the cour.



Online LibraryCharles NuttHistory of Worcester and its people (Volume 2) → online text (page 44 of 63)