Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 1 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 1 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


I



'm:



HISTORY OF

SEATTLE

From the Earliest Settlement to the
Present Time






\ ■■_' ' ' - ,

• \ /
ILLUSTRATED



VOLUME III



CHICAGO

THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY
1916



THE HEW YORK
PUBLIC LIBRARY

686714 A

ASTOP., LENOX AND

TILDEN FOUNDATIONS

R 1933 L








'^^^l






rjfl




,^''


^^^^^^^^^^^H






^M


^^^^^^K^^




^B



HORACE C. HEXRV



BIOGRAPHICAL



HORACE C. HENRY.



Horace C. Henrj', a capitalist and railroad huilder, was born in Bennington, Vermont,
October 6, 1844, his parents being Paul Mandell and Aurelia (Squire) Henry. In the
paternal line he comes of Scotch-Irish ancestry. His great-grandfather, leaving the north
of Ireland, was brought to America in 1730, when but four years of age. Aurelia Squire,
who was born in New Haven, Vermont, was of noted New England ancestry, being a
daughter of Wait Squire and granddaughter of Lieutenant Andrew Squire. The former
married Hannah Powell, daugliter of Colonel Miles Powell. One of the sisters of Mrs.
Henry was Huldana Squire, who became the mother of Mrs. R. A. Alger, wife of General
R. A. Alger, of Detroit, Michigan.

After attending district schools Horace C. Henry continued his education in the Norwich
Military Academy at Norwich, Vermont, an institution which was the alma mater of
Admiral Dewey and many other distinguished officers. In 1862, when eighteen years of
age, he put aside his studies to enlist in the army and for one year served as orderly
sergeant of Company A, Fourteenth Vermont Volunteers, with which he participated in
the battle of Gettysburg. Although he did not return to the university at Norwich after
his military experience, he received his degree in regular course according to the usual
custom of educational institutions during the Civil war. Following his service in the army
he was elected first lieutenant in the Vermont State Militia and in 1864 he entered Williams
College as a member of the class of 1868, but in 1865 became a student in Hobarf
College at Geneva, New York, to which place his family had removed. On account of ill
health he was forced to give up his collegiate course in 1866, and, hoping that a change
of climate would prove beneficial, he went to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he obtained
employment with R. B. Langdon, who had gone to that city from Vermont and was largely
interested in railway contracting. With Mr. Langdon he served successively in the capacities
of clerk, paymaster and finally superintendent of construction. He remained with Mr.
Langdon for ten years, thoroughly familiarizing himself with the business, in which he
was destined to become one of the most successful and important men in the country.

Mr. Henry took his first large contract for railway construction in 1878. it being with
the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway Company. He was afterward accorded contracts
by the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railway Company and with his associates
built about one thousand miles of road for those two companies. He also secured and
executed many important contracts for the Wisconsin Central, the Duluth, the South
Shore & Atlantic, the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western, the Diagonal, the Missouri,
Kansas & Texas, the Great Western and other railroad companies. He built two of the
great iron ore docks at .Ashland, Wisconsin, one at Marquette and the docks at Washburn.

In 1890 Mr. Henry came to the state of Washington to construct for the Northern
Pacific Railway the original belt line around Lake Washington. He afterward built the
Everett & Monte Cristo Railway, sixty miles in length. In association with D. C. Shep-
pard & Company of St. Paul, he built the Great Northern Railway from Seattle to Belling-
hani and from the summit of the Cascades to Everett, as well as the cut-off from Bellingham
to Bellevue and the line from Hamilton to Rockford in the Skagit valley. For the
Northern Pacific Railway Company he constructed the lines from Auburn to Palmer and
from Hoquiam to the sea, together with the present belt line around Lake Washington.

5- . , ■



6 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

In 1906, when the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company decided to make its
extension to the Pacific coast, he took the contract for nearly five hundred miles of the
route across the states of Idaho and Montana, a contract amounting to more than fifteen
millions of dollars. In this work he employed at times ten thousand men and the total
cost for explosives alone was over a million dollars. He also built about two hundred
and fifty miles of branch lines for the Milwaukee, the most important of which reach
to Everett, Spokane and Moses Lake, and the line connecting the Tacoma Eastern with
Gray's Harbor. Aside from the interests already mentioned Mr. Henry is president
of the Pacific Creosoting Company of Seattle, owning one of the largest plants in the
world for the preservation of timber. The works are at Eagle Harbor and have a yearly
consumption of two and one-half million gallons of creosote, all of which is imported
in the company's own ships from Europe. Mr. Henry is likewise president of the
Northern Life Insurance Company of Seattle. This company was organized with the
primary purpose of competing for the seven million dollars worth of business which
was being given annually by the people of the state to outside concerns for life, accident
and health insurance. The corporation has been remarkably successful and is now
writing new business at the rate of four million dollars per year. Mr. Henry was treasurer
of the National Bank of Commerce for seven years and is now president of the Metropolitan
Bank of Seattle. He is also an active member of the Metropolitan Building Company, which
has erected the finest group of office and business structures in the northwest, one of them
being named the Henry building.

In Minneapolis, Minnesota, in December, 1876, Mr. Henry was united in marriage
to Miss Susan Elizabeth Johnson, of St. John, New Brunswick, a daughter of Captain
Johnson, who was lost at sea in 1862. There were four children born of this marriage :
Lan.gdon Chapin ; Paul Mandell ; Walter Horace, who died March 31, 1910, at the age
of twenty-six years ; and Florence Aurelia, who died in Morristown, New Jersey, at the
age of eighteen. In memory of his deceased daughter Mr. Henry has erected a beautiful
chapel, the Florence Henry Memorial, at the Highlands, and in memory of his son,
Walter Horace, he has given substantial help in erecting the administration building of
the Anti-Tuberculosis League on the land given by him for the hospital of that organiza-
tion north of the city. The Henry mansion is on Harvard avenue North, and is one of
the most beautiful residences and grounds in Seattle.

As a citizen Mr. Henry occupies a conspicuous position and is widely known for his
public spirit and beneficence. In 1910 he was elected president of the King County
Anti-Tuberculosis League, one of the most important organizations of the country in
the special field to which its energies are devoted. Commenting on the choice of Mr.
Henry for that office, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer said editorially : "Resourceful and
methodic in his habits of thought, and possessed of quick initiative and sound judgment,
Mr. Henry will unquestionably infuse new life into the fight earnest citizens of this city
and county have been waging against tuberculosis, and will bring to the support of energies
immediately under his direction the enlightened sympathy and cooperation of the com-
munity."

In 1914 the state appropriated a sum of money to defray the expenses of all Civil
war veterans living in the state to the great reunion at Gettysburg. When the time to
make the trip had arrived, it was discovered that the sum appropriated was too small by
five thousand dollars and that lots would have to be drawn to decide who would remain
behind. Mr. Henry at once donated the sura necessary, thereby making it possible for
every veteran who took part in that great conflict to attend the reunion if he so desired.
Mr. Henry is himself a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and proudly wears
the little bronze button that indicates his connection with the boys in blue. He is a
Scottish Rite Mason of the thirty-second degree, is a life member of the Arctic, Athletic
and Rainier Clubs and served as president of the last named from 1894 until 1900. He is
also a member of the Seattle Golf and Country Club, of which he was president for seven
terms, and he is a member of the University and Metropolitan Clubs. He was one of
the vice presidents of the Alaska- Yukon-Pacific Exposition.

To encourage the newsboys of Seattle to save a part of their earnings, Mr. Henry
sent out the following notice: "Sometime during December, 1915, I will pay three dollars



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 7

to eveiy newsboy who makes twelve deposits of not less than twenty-five cents each month
during the year. Each of the twelve monthly deposits must be made out of his own
earnings. Each deposit must be made in some savings bank in tlie city and will be noted
in a little bank book which must not be lost, as it will be the only evidence that the boy
has carried out the contract and is entitled to be paid the three dollars. It is hoped that
much more than three dollars will be deposited. The boy is under no obligations to leave
the money in the bank afterwards."

His interests are broad and varied and have been closely connected with the genera!
welfare. His business activities have been of a character that have contributed in notable
measure to the upbuilding and progress of the west, while in all those relations which have
their root in broad humanitarianism, which seek to ameliorate hard conditions of life for
the unfortunate or which add to the pleasure and happiness of an individual or community,
he has stood for that which is most w'orth while and has given tliereto generous cooperation
in time and material assistance.



W.'XLTER C. WOODWARD, M. D.

Dr. Walter C. Woodward, an active representative of the medical profession in
Seattle since the spring of 1907, and specializing in surgery, was born in Royalton, Vermont,
September 4, 1876. He represents an old American family, although his paternal grand-
father came of English ancestry and his paternal grandmother from Welsh descent. Both
families were represented in the Revolutionary war. The first representatives of the
Woodward family came to America as early as 1700. Daniel C. Woodward, father of
Dr. Woodward, is a native of Vermont. He is a machinist by trade and won a substantial
measure of success in business. He has served for a number of years as city clerk and
otherwise has been active in civic aflfairs in Randolph, Vermont, where he makes his
home. He married Annie Skinner, also a native of the Green Mountain state. She came
of English ancestry, although the Skinner family was established on this side of the
.Atlantic as early as 1700, settlement being made in Vermont. Members of that family
also served in the Revolutionary war and in the war of the Rebellion.

Dr. Woodward is the eldest in a family of five children. He attended the public
and high schools of Randoli)h. Vermont, and afterward entered Dartmouth College, from
which he was graduated with the B. L. degree in the class of 1899. He started out,
however, a poor boy and worked his own way through school and the university. He
was ambitious to acquire an education and utilized every means that would add to his
financial resources, enabling him to prepare for a professional career. After completing
his course at Dartmouth he entered upon the study of medicine and was graduated from
the medical school of Harvard University in 1904. For two and one-half years thereafter
he occupied the position of interne in the general hospital at Providence, Rhode Island,
and then entered upon the private practice of medicine at North Bend, Washington, where
he continued for si.x months. In March, 1907, he arrived in Seattle, where he has since
followed his profession, winning notable success. He has always specialized in surgery
and is particularly skillful in that field. He has thorough knowledge of anatomy and
the component parts of the human body, the onslaughts made upon it by disease or left
to it as a legacy by progenitors, and his comprehensive technical training, combined with
the sureness and precision of his work in surgical cases, has gained him reputation as
one of the foremost surgeons of the city. For two years, or from 1910 until 1912, he
was city physician and during that period was one of the active workers in establishing the
present City Hospital. He is president of the Surgical Club and is a member of the
King County Medical Society, the Anatomical Club and the State and American Medical
Associations, his membership in these keeping Iiim in close touch with the advanced
thought of the profession.

On the 26th of March, 1909, in Seattle, Washington, Dr. Woodward was united in
marriage to Miss Carrie E. Draper, a representative of a very prominent family of
Randolph, Vermont, and a daughter of E. N. Draper, a native of that place. To them



8 FIISTORY OF SEATTLE

have been born two children, namely : Walter C, Jr., whose birth occurred in Seattle,
February 6, igio; and Mary Jean, born in Seattle, June 4, 1914. Dr. and Mrs. Woodward
attend the Congregational church, in which they hold membership. He belongs also to
the Seattle Athletic Club and his interests are broad and varied. In politics he is a
republican, holds membership in the Municipal League and takes an active interest in
civic affairs, his work in behalf of many projected public improvements constituting an
element in their successful adoption.



CAPTAIN HENRY K. STRUVE.

Captain Henry K. Struve is now living retired in a beautiful home on Seventeenth
avenue. He has made a record for efficiency and loyalty in connection with marine
interests and as an American soldier in the war with Spain. A native son of the
northwest, he was born at Vancouver, Washington, September 20, 1864, a son of Henry
G. and Lascelle F. (Knighton) Struve. He attended the public schools and the University
of Washington and travel to many lands has given him broad knowledge, the knowledge
that comes through actual experience. He earned his first dollar in the employ of C. B.
Bagley, the historian, who has written the history of Seattle for this work. He has
always loved the sea and has embraced every chance to be upon it. He was an officer
on the steamer which sailed from Victoria to Vancouver and which met and carried
the passengers from the first Canadian Pacific Railway train into Victoria. His first
command was the tug Blakley and afterward he was given command of the Bailey Gatzert,
named after an old Seattle pioneer.

With the outbreak of the Spanish-American war in 1S9S, Captain Struve enlisted for
service, starting as second mate of the Hancock, while later he was promoted to first
mate and subsequently was given command of the vessel, continuing as its master for
four years. He then went to Shanghai, China, to superintend the construction of vessels
for the Philippine government and while thus engaged seventeen were built. He brought
out the Indiana and commanded her for one year, after which he resigned. Following
an absence of seven years Captain Struve, with his wife, recently returned to Seattle to
take up his permanent abode here. In the meantime he had sailed the seas extensively
and had visited nearly every port on the face of the globe. As he is not in robust health
he and his wife are living quietly in a beautiful home on Seventeenth avenue.

Captain Struve has been married twice. His first wife was Josephine Gaffeney, the
daughter of an old pioneer, and they became the parents of a daughter, Josephine, who
is now a resident of Los Angeles, California. For his second wife Captain Struve chose
Lorena Clara King, whom he married in Manila, December 10, 1902. For many years
Captain Struve has been a prominent Mason and Shriner, having a most extensive
acquaintance among the representatives of the order, of which he is an exemplary
member.



COLONEL ALDEN J. BLETHEN.

Colonel Alden J. Blethen was editor in chief of The Seattle Daily and Sunday Times,
and president of the Times Printing Company of Seattle from August 10, 1896, when he
and others purchased the Times, to the date of his death, which was July 12, 1915.

Under his management the Times became both the molder and the mirrow of public
opinion. The spirit of progress actuated him throughout the years of his connection with
journalism and he accomplished much to awaken sentiment that has had marked bearing
upon public activity and the upbuilding of his city and the northwest. He kept his mind,
as it were, on the pulse of the public and, actuated by the strongest desire to serve his
community, wrote many articles which have been a direct stimulus to effort or a sedative
to public passion, bringing about, therefore, the healtliful. normal development and the
calm thought that is productive of result.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 11

He was among the citizens that New England lias furnished to tlie northwest. He
was horn at Knox, Waldo county, Maine, December 2T, i8^6, a son of Alden and Abbie
L. Blethen. The history of the family can be traced back in ancestral line to 1680, when
representatives of the names settled at Ipswich, Massachusetts. The men of the family
have as a rule followed agricultural pursuits or a seafaring life and at all times valor
and loyalty have been manifest in relation to citizenship. The paternal grandmother of
Colonel Blethen was a second cousin of Ethan Allen, the gallant commander of the Ver-
mont troops, who at the head of his Green Mountain Boys won victory at Ticonderoga.
After the outbreak of the war between the north and the south three of the brothers of
Colonel Blethen enlisted in the Union army. One of these. Allen Blethen, served for three
years in the Army of the Cumberland, participating in a number of the most hotly con-
tested engagements of the war. Charles Edward, another brother, died from injuries
sustained at the battle of Cedar Creek, while James L., although wounded at Gettysburg,
remained with the army until the close of hostilities.

Colonel Blethen supplemented a public school education by study in the Wesleyan
Seminary and College, from which he was graduated in 1868, and by a course at Bowdoin
College of Maine, which conferred upon him the Master of Arts degree at his graduation
in 1872. He turned his attention to the profession of teaching, leasing the Abbott Family
School, at Farmington, Maine, of which he remained principal from 1869 until 1873.
During that period he devoted every spare moment to the study of law and in the latter
year was admitted to practice at the bar of Maine, after which he opened an office in
Portland, continuing in that city until 1880. Ill health then forced him to seek a change
of scene and climate and, removing to Kansas City, he first entered upon active connec-
tion with journalism. For four years he was part owner and manager of the well known
Kansas City Journal, at the end of which time he went to Minneapolis and became a
partner in two of the leading papers of that city, the Tribune and the Journal, acting as
editor of the former and manager of the latter until 1888, when he disposed of his interest
in those papers for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars.

It has been said that one who enters the field of journalism and comes to know the
business thoroughly is never able to leave it, for there is a fascination in thus keeping
in direct touch with the thought and activities of the world from which one cannot escape.
Accordingly after a year Colonel Blethen repurchased the Tribune, but in the following
November fire destroyed the plant, entailing a loss of one hundred thousand dollars.
With characteristic courage and determination, however, he began the erection of a new
building in 1890 at a cost of one hundred thousand dollars, but the great financial panic
of 1893 followed so closely after the fire that it brought disaster to him, as it did to
so many others, and he lost all that he had saved.

While in Minneapolis he had taken a keen interest in military affairs and had served
with the rank of colonel on the staff of Governor Nelson and of Governor Clough. At
the time of the Civil war he had enlisted for service in the Union army, but his three
brothers were at the front and he, the youngest of the family, was induced to remain
at home by his mother, who was a widow.

With remarkably resolute spirit and courage Colonel Blethen resolved to again enter
the newspaper field following his financial failure in Minneapolis and came to Seattle,
purchasing the plant of a bankrupt paper in 1896. He soon sought more commodious
and advantageous quarters and it was not long before he had increased the circulation from
thirty-live hundred copies to more than double that number. From that time forward the
paper has grown steadily and has been increased in size from a four to a twenty-page
paper, while its circulation is now seventy-five thousand daily and eighty-five thousand
Sunday. His quarters proved inadequate about the beginning of 1901 and arrangements
were made for the construction of a building to be especially erected for the Times,
the location chosen being at Second avenue and Union street. Many at the time thought
he was going too far from the business center, but he had noticed the trend of removals
northward and time has proven the wisdom of his choice. He had a splendidly equipped
plant in which were found the latest improvements in presses, machinery and every equip-
ment for typesetting and the publication of a modern daily. On the gth of February, 1902,
the first issue of the Times was printed at Second and Union. Writing of the Times



s



12 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

at that date, a local publication said: "With matchless energy and foresight Colonel
Blethen has made it the greatest evening daily on the Pacific coast and has devoted it as a
mighty instrument for the upbuilding of Seattle. There is not at this time a better or
more elegantly equipped newspaper plant west of Chicago than that from which the Seattle
Times is issued, all the result of the indefatigable energj' of Colonel Blethen."

In 1910 Colonel Blethen, realizing that the Times had outgrown the quarters at
Second avenue and Union street, purchased the northeast corner of Fifth and Stewart,
intending to build thereon a new building. Two years later, realizing more keenly than ever
the trend of the retail district in that direction, he added to his properties the triangle
bounded by Fourth and Fifth avenues, and Stewart and Olive streets, on which The
present Times Building stands, but it was not until October, 1915, after Colonel Blethen.
death, that his sons proceeded with the erection of the building proper which building
was completed and turned over to the owners. While the building is at present six stories
in height, sufficient strength of steel was put into its construction to allow its being extended
to nine stories in case Colonel Blethen's heirs should at any time so decide.

Colonel Blethen was married March 12, 1869, at Farmington, Maine, Miss Rose Hunter
becoming his wife. She is a daughter of Captain David F. Hunter and a grandaughter
of David Hunter, who came from Scotland to America and established a pioneer home
in northeastern Maine. Colonel and Mrs. Blethen became parents of four children : Joseph,
who succeeded his father as president of the Times Printing Company; Clarence B.,'
who is vice president and editor of the Times; Florence A. Duffy; and Marion R. Mesdag!
Of tlie Chamber of Commerce Colonel Blethen was an active member and he was for
a year president of the board of regents of the State University, in which connection h-
performed important work for the institution. He was a very prominent Mason, the hon
orary thirty-third degree having been conferred upon him in recognition of his high
standing and the work that he had done for the order. Strong in his honor and his good
name, strong in his ability to plan and perform, Colonel Blethen has indeed been a
beneficial factor in promoting projects and plans which have had to do with the city's
material, intellectual, political, social and moral progress. The Blethen Chimes at the
University of Washington were his gift.



e



ELTON E. AINSWORTH.



Elton E. Ainsworth, deceased, is numbered among those who were prominent in
developing the salmon industry of the northwest and for a long period was identified



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 1 of 142)